New Broadcast Options SUCK!!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
BWags
Jim Eitner

New Broadcast Options SUCK!!!

Unread post by BWags »

Really, who was the genius that decided radio broadcasts needed to change. It wasn't broke (except for maybe the cheap-ass equipment at the Ryan Center) it didn't need to be fixed.
7 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Re: New Broadcast Options SUCK!!!

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

BWags wrote: 1 year ago Really, who was the genius that decided radio broadcasts needed to change. It wasn't broke (except for maybe the cheap-ass equipment at the Ryan Center) it didn't need to be fixed.
why would someone listen to, what did you call it, ray-dee-oh?
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

agreed.

I'll add, I don't have Cox either so I can't watch on TV. no yurview on Verizon.

take your streams and start up apps, turn them sum bitches sideways and stick 'em where the sun don't shine.
Last edited by KeaneyBluBallz 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
:lol:
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

So this is where the money came from to pay Archie!!!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Should offer both the app and terrestrial radio to be honest. Feels like they did a poor job promoting.

We must be the only program in the country without a terrestrial radio option.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

My guess, they tried and could not get sponsors?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Given the demographic of who is listening to the rams on Audio the move to an App based platform was ill advised. On top of that they made little effort in pre seeding it and promoting it.

In addition we continue to be 1 of the only A10 programs to use students for our streaming video product. That is the future we should have our best talent there cough cough Disano and Stone.
WRIU was and should be where our student talent has a platform.

I don’t have the data but I would venture to guess our streaming audience is bigger than our radio one. Just amongst this community many more ppl seem subscribe to ESPN+ or Flo than they tune into audio. Seems like a miss on both ends.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago My guess, they tried and could not get sponsors?
The Varsity app has many of the same sponsors we've had for years with the radio broadcast. Brown basketball has sponsors and terrestrial radio. Maybe we would have had to take a step down from B101, but we should have been able to maintain some level of radio presence. This was a massive mistake moving to just the app
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I miss listening to the post game show on my way home from the RC. I am a technology resister so I don't have a phone (I do have a cheap tracfone in case of emergency but that's it). I like paper tickets because I save them also. I suppose if tickets someday become mobile only, I'll get a phone. Until then, I'll enjoy my simple life. I'm old, what can I tell you.
8 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Given the demographic of who is listening to the rams on Audio the move to an App based platform was ill advised. On top of that they made little effort in pre seeding it and promoting it.

In addition we continue to be 1 of the only A10 programs to use students for our streaming video product. That is the future we should have our best talent there cough cough Disano and Stone.

I don’t have the data but I would venture to guess our streaming audience is bigger than our radio one. Just amongst this community many more ppl seem subscribe to ESPN+ or Flo than they tune into audio. Seems like a miss on both ends.
I'll never understand the decision to have students do the video broadcast and the pros on radio/audio. Its great that they want to give students experience and all that, I wish they had stuff like that when I was a student, but if anything it should be the other way around with them on audio and the pros on video.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Given the demographic of who is listening to the rams on Audio the move to an App based platform was ill advised. On top of that they made little effort in pre seeding it and promoting it.

I'll never understand the decision to have students do the video broadcast and the pros on radio/audio. Its great that they want to give students experience and all that, I wish they had stuff like that when I was a student, but if anything it should be the other way around with them on audio and the pros on video.
I have bit my tongue on the quality of the announcing for the streaming games because the kids are doing their best and it isn’t their fault, so I don’t want it to be an attack on them. Compared to what most college students would sound like doing a game they are obviously talented. But compared to a professional broadcast it is absolutely painful to listen to. It honestly makes the experience of watching the games less enjoyable. I’d rather listen to the opposing team’s homerish radio broadcast layered over the muted video as long as they were pros actually getting a paycheck.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Quality of student announcers is a crap shoot. I've mentioned before our daughter plays D3 ball. Every one of her games, home and away, is broadcast live online streaming via their school website. They have a couple of local sponsors that advertise during timeouts/halftime. Mostly it's just the school's promotional videos.

Anyway, they have an excellent student announcer and he's been there for four years. Really takes it seriously. They have had various color people with him - some good, some bad. Reminds me of our situation at URI last year with Stone.

Also I can get Wi-Fi and cell service in their gym, but I digress...

So, I think it's just about the pool you get to choose from regardless of school or level. Some of these kids are cut out to be announcing professionally and are probably majoring in it. Others are not.

Count me as a person that used to listen to the URI radio broadcast a lot when I couldn't get the games on video due to not having Cox cable. Heck I would sit in the garage with the car radio on and listen to Steve and Don. Now that most of our games are accessible online (and I can afford it more these days) I'm happy to subscribe. There is something about an old-school tune-in radio broadcast that is special though and I think it's a shame it's gone away for URI.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Was rewatching the URI Seton Hall game from the NIT in 2003. We had a real broadcast back then with Abu Bakr and Don Coyne with animations and game replays on Cox. What happened to this??

3 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago Quality of student announcers is a crap shoot. I've mentioned before our daughter plays D3 ball. Every one of her games, home and away, is broadcast live online streaming via their school website. They have a couple of local sponsors that advertise during timeouts/halftime. Mostly it's just the school's promotional videos.

Anyway, they have an excellent student announcer and he's been there for four years. Really takes it seriously. They have had various color people with him - some good, some bad. Reminds me of our situation at URI last year with Stone.

So, I think it's just about the pool you get to choose from regardless of school or level. Some of these kids are cut out to be announcing professionally and are probably majoring in it. Others are not.

Count me as a person that used to listen to the URI radio broadcast a lot when I couldn't get the games on video due to not having Cox cable. Heck I would sit in the garage with the car radio on and listen to Steve and Don. Now that most of our games are accessible online (and I can afford it more these days) I'm happy to subscribe. There is something about an old-school tune-in radio broadcast that is special though and I think it's a shame it's gone away for URI.
That is appropriate for a D3 school. It's not appropriate for a D1 school paying their coach 10MM/year. Dayton, VCU, SLU all use pro broadcasters for their streaming video product.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago Quality of student announcers is a crap shoot. I've mentioned before our daughter plays D3 ball. Every one of her games, home and away, is broadcast live online streaming via their school website. They have a couple of local sponsors that advertise during timeouts/halftime. Mostly it's just the school's promotional videos.

That is appropriate for a D3 school. It's not appropriate for a D1 school paying their coach 10MM/year. Dayton, VCU, SLU all use pro broadcasters for their streaming video product.
Yes I realize that. Just saying the kid at the D3 school is good.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I miss listening to the post game show on my way home from the RC. I am a technology resister so I don't have a phone (I do have a cheap tracfone in case of emergency but that's it). I like paper tickets because I save them also. I suppose if tickets someday become mobile only, I'll get a phone. Until then, I'll enjoy my simple life. I'm old, what can I tell you.
That doesn’t sound like such a bad approach, 78.

I am straddling the fence with one foot in both worlds. It can get painful :lol:
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Trying to sync up Varsity with Flo, with Flo being well ahead. I get it almost exact, the Varsity app cuts back and replays 10 seconds I already heard, and I'm starting over.

Varsity is terrible
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When I listened to games on B101, I'm pretty sure I didn't hear the same play 3 times, then skip ahead a minute and miss a couple of plays.
9 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago When I listened to games on B101, I'm pretty sure I didn't hear the same play 3 times, then skip ahead a minute and miss a couple of plays.
And it happens CONSTANTLY on this stupid app!
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago When I listened to games on B101, I'm pretty sure I didn't hear the same play 3 times, then skip ahead a minute and miss a couple of plays.
And it happens CONSTANTLY on this stupid app!
I gave up. I'm just following live stats now.
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

B101 and a station on the cape are right next to each other on the dial, and they have identical programming…
Even the banter of the dj’s….
So sometimes i hear the same thing twice in a row, but never three times
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Tried to to listen to the game on the Junior Varsity 💩. If it didn’t repeat, it dropped out. I gave up just before halftime. If I advertised on that broadcast, I would demand a refund.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Wow that’s Horrible
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I heard that during the Football game, thought I was losing it.
0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

That's my biggest beef with Varsity (the skipping around). It's brutal. That said, was able to catch most of tonight's game in the car and aside from the skipping nonsense, Stone and Chris were awesome.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago

I’d planned on being at the Cayman Classic since it was first announced but I had to back out late due to a scheduling conflict

So I watched all 3 URI games (Kansas State, Tulane and Illinois State plus several other Cayman games on FloSports.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the video, the two announcers were very good and the audio was fine.
The last interview with Archie Miller following the win against Illinois State I thought was well done,

What am I missing that Rhody Rampage, and numerous KB posters are being so critical of?

FloSports exclusively covered all of the Tournament Games - not just URI.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t think it’s that the quality of the flosports telecast was bad, it’s that outside of this specific three day window nobody needs flosports for anything so now that the three day window is closed it is time to cancel your subscription.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I also liked the broadcasters , I remember Settles from his playing days and thought he was well informed and had good insights
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago I don’t think it’s that the quality of the flosports telecast was bad, it’s that outside of this specific three day window nobody needs flosports for anything so now that the three day window is closed it is time to cancel your subscription.
I needed it for URI football. But made sure it would be canceled at the end of the month.
The quality was very hit or miss. For example our broadcasts with Stone and Kyle are very good. Stony Brook... not as much.
Overall I am happy to be able to watch URI football each week.
I feel slightly spoiled as historically we've had some solid broadcasters. I enjoy Steve, Terry and Don are/were great alongside him. Chris Disanio is a home run, and Stone does a great job as well.
With that said, we've also been subjected to some stinkers. I remember early on paying for a streaming subscription that just showed the jumbotron feed. Missing free throws and action as graphics were on the screen. Our ESPN+ announcers definitely leave something to be desired.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

They had some soccer games too, so i was more than happy to subscribe. I have no complaints about any of their production.

There was at least one game that could not be broadcast due to weather, but it may have been espn+ (can’t remember).

Anyway I understand you must have digital audio, but getting rid of terrestrial is a horrible idea.

I still miss WBRU. :cry:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Are we in an Xmas or thanksgiving tournament next year ?? If so we may need to make our annual pilgrimage to Flo Sports !!
0 x
BWags
Jim Eitner

Unread post by BWags »

OP - Not paying anything for any of this junk out of principle. This is anti-fan, pro-$$$ bullshit. Someone remind Thor that he's not the AD at Duke and that he needs to treat his fans better than this.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I miss listening to the post game show on my way home from the RC. I am a technology resister so I don't have a phone (I do have a cheap tracfone in case of emergency but that's it). I like paper tickets because I save them also. I suppose if tickets someday become mobile only, I'll get a phone. Until then, I'll enjoy my simple life. I'm old, what can I tell you.
I’m with you. I’m an “eLdeR MilLennial” and I most definitely prefer the actual paper ticket. I’ve been collecting them for years. As for radio, I totally prefer listening to a play by play broadcast on an over the air radio broadcast than listening to a few boobs on a streaming service truing to fill in gaps with stupid statements “hey… I had macaroni salad for breakfast!” Or whatever crap they say.

For any away game I listen and stream from my phone to TV. I don’t feel like I miss the video portion.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the Flo Sports broadcast from the Caymans. We have had Flo for years and felt this was the best yet.

AS for Varsity Network, I have mixed feelings. Was able to hear the entire game driving home from Ohio yesterday. However, if I got a text or an incoming phone call, I had to back out of the ap and sign in again, SUPER ANNOYING! May be a way to tell my phone to disregard texts and incoming calls????
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Can anyone help this troglodyte figure out how to get the app to play in my car, preferably over the car speakers if possible? Tried a few times to get the post game show on after the PC game on Old North Rd., couldn't get the app going at all, and had to resort to listening to the PC post game that was on the radio.

Yes, other programs actually still have regular old radio options. We should look into that someday!
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Can anyone help this troglodyte figure out how to get the app to play in my car, preferably over the car speakers if possible? Tried a few times to get the post game show on after the PC game on Old North Rd., couldn't get the app going at all, and had to resort to listening to the PC post game that was on the radio.

Yes, other programs actually still have regular old radio options. We should look into that someday!
Does your car have Bluetooth? If so, that's probably the easiest option. Pair your cell phone to your car via Bluetooth, then pick the Bluetooth playback option in your car. Load the Varsity app on your phone, and the audio from that should go through your car speakers. (Note: I'm drivin' a 2008 Corolla, so I'm not doing this personally right now, but I've been able to use Bluetooth with my phone and rental cars pretty easily.)

If you have an older phone, you might also still be able to use an AUX cord.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Thank you. I have Bluetooth and I use that for phone calls, but I haven't had luck getting other audio working. I'll have to read my owner's manual and do some testing tomorrow before I head out. Also wondering if I'll be able to pick it up on those backroads. We'll find out!
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

To get around the Varsity Android app issues (far worse on android for some reason) I stream the broadcasts from the mobile browser instead. You can even have Chrome create a website shortcut on the home screen of your phone (https://browserhow.com/how-to-add-to-ho ... e-android/).

Figured I'd pass along in case anyone else feels the constant need to throw their phone out the window when using the android app.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Thank you. I have Bluetooth and I use that for phone calls, but I haven't had luck getting other audio working. I'll have to read my owner's manual and do some testing tomorrow before I head out. Also wondering if I'll be able to pick it up on those backroads. We'll find out!
Also if your car has a USB jack to charge it that usually will also tap into your audio system and allow you to have phone calls, apps, etc broadcast through the car audio.

I have used the app twice to listen to post game on my drive back to CT and it has worked fine the entire ride. Luckily I don't have to use it inside the Ryan Center.
2 x