12/7 | Brown | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Re: 12/7 | Brown | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago

So why didn't they stand? Do they hate this country that much in their Ivy League school they shite on the country that gives them the very opportunity they have? Sure they have the right, but they haven't been taught anything about this country which scares me with the youth today. I blame the coach. He should have taught these kids about this country that is only 200+ years old. And then taught them about the countries their families came from.
wait, wait.. so it's a college basketball coaches job to teach these young men about America?

not their parents or educators over the previous 10-15 years before they got to a liberal school like Brown??

brah....
Well it's obvious their parents and educators failed, so yeah, the coach is next in line.
Their parents and educators taught them they have free speech. It's up to them how they use it.

I don't think they hate this country. I could be wrong but you'd have to ask them. I think that's you getting your panties in a bunch. (Is that what people mean when they refer to somebody as a snowflake?) My guess is I think they would say this country is the greatest country in the world...and yet this country has flaws, current and past, they trying to recognize and address. People can have both thoughts and both can be true. (Same with supporting the police and supporting police reform. You can be both.)
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I wonder how much you can expect freshmen or transfers to make a big impact quickly if the defense is complicated and needs all members to be in sync to work. When it looks like this current group should be in sync by next year and working well. We hope even before then.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

One question I would have about our defense is, is this a defense that should generate a lot of turnovers? Right now we have solid overall defensive numbers but we're below average in turnovers generated. This offense needs all the help it can get right now and turnovers leading to easy offense would be nice. is below average turnover generation something that should improve as our players pick up the defense or is this something that comes along with our system?
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Great points Stevey. Something that seems to be a common thread for freshmen coming to Rhody and having immediate impacts is the guys they played against the year before. Tyrese, Fatts, Leggett, Toppin, Dowtin, and even Mekhi Long played in some of the toughest HS conferences and also logged significant and impactful minutes their first year. Connor Dubsky fits this mold and it makes a lot of sense to have some faith he'll be a factor next year.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago

wait, wait.. so it's a college basketball coaches job to teach these young men about America?

not their parents or educators over the previous 10-15 years before they got to a liberal school like Brown??

brah....
Well it's obvious their parents and educators failed, so yeah, the coach is next in line.
Their parents and educators taught them they have free speech. It's up to them how they use it.

I don't think they hate this country. I could be wrong but you'd have to ask them. I think that's you getting your panties in a bunch. (Is that what people mean when they refer to somebody as a snowflake?) My guess is I think they would say this country is the greatest country in the world...and yet this country has flaws, current and past, they trying to recognize and address. People can have both thoughts and both can be true. (Same with supporting the police and supporting police reform. You can be both.)
Hey woke Mike, I was going to send you a pm and take this off the board, but it appears I can't. So there you go.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I wonder how much you can expect freshmen or transfers to make a big impact quickly if the defense is complicated and needs all members to be in sync to work. When it looks like this current group should be in sync by next year and working well. We hope even before then.
I hope Dubsky is studying up on the pack line.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I suppose the transition wouldn’t be quite as painful while they learn the packline if they were at least an average to above average offensive team. We have issues on both sides and I would venture to say it’s worse on offense like the numbers that were posted recently showed.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I agree, RIFan, we currently are struggling and inconsistent on both sides of the ball. We will get better, though.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

With so much talk of the pack line, I thought you guys might be interested in this article from Archie’s first season at Indiana.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/c ... 876235001/
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago With so much talk of the pack line, I thought you guys might be interested in this article from Archie’s first season at Indiana.

Interesting, thanks for the link.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago With so much talk of the pack line, I thought you guys might be interested in this article from Archie’s first season at Indiana.

I finally know what the hell this packline I always hear about is. Thanks!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago

I finally know what the hell this packline I always hear about is. Thanks!
It’s nothing magical; if it was, every team would use it (thereby losing some of its effectiveness, I guess). It’s just one of a handful of defensive schemes that, when taught and executed well, can be really effective (except when someone like UMBC goes crazy from 3). Archie’s definitely had success with it at the A10 level. It’s kind of interesting that Sean Miller is having some early success with an offensive-minded Xavier team when he’s usually such a defense-minded guy. You work with what you bring in and have in the early years, but coaches definitely have their comfort zones.
1 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody22 wrote: 1 year ago

I’d rather have faith that a proven head coach that has landed and developed some absolute studs in his career will do the same for us and get us back to where we should be over being negative 24/7 like 15. I’m not gonna overreact and think every recruit is gonna suck because we have had a bad start in year one. Archie is going to have recruiting misses like every head coach but I truly believe Archie and this staff will land the players we need to get this program back on top of the A10.

My question for you is, what about Connors game leads you to believe he won't be a good player? I’ve explained multiple times why I like Connors game. Why do you two think he won't make an impact??

I’m not a basketball expert nor do I follow recruiting in-depth. I read the info posted in this forum and some of the articles attached, so take that for what it’s worth. The reason that comes to mind right now is that I recall somebody posting that he had only played a few minutes at his new school. That doesn’t sound promising. Then, the years of overhyping all players who choose URI. I have to see it to believe it. Long, Silverio, Tres, Hammond, Bertrand and so many others. Someone even said Malik for Tyrese was an upgrade…
None of us are experts. The experts should be our staff and head coach. I don't know if he will be a star, but I think he'll make an impact because we can't hit a thing this season. Putnam is one of the best programs in the country. He is playing with and against top competition.

I don't know how you can watch these clips and not see that Connor has a beautiful shot. Similar to Chance Stephens last year. Some guys are snipers.

Regarding your comment about overhyping players. I really don't get why some of you get annoyed that people get excited when we land a recruit. I and others having a positive outlook on recruits doesn't mean we think they will all be the next Steph Curry. I know Connor has weaknesses. I know Archie will have recruiting misses.. I also know that Archie and this staff have a track record of landing legitimate talent. Which is why I get so confused when people bring up Cox. This head coach and this staff are a big upgrade from Cox, so we should expect some of these recruits to make an impact.

I thought this first class would be the hardest because Archie took a year off and was thrown into a full rebuild with many players transferring. Don't you have a little faith that Archie and this highly experienced staff will bring in some better talent each season? That's why I trust that Cam and Connor are upgrades. Especially Connor.

We are ranked 340th in 3pt shooting %, so I think it's crazy to think Connor won't help.

We shall see next year.

I agree that there’s potential for Connor to have an impact from the beginning, mainly because he does seem to bring something we currently don’t have: consistent 3pt shooting. Let’s not forget that Rory supposedly has that too and he can’t get off the bench. And, IIRC, Bassy was one of the best 3pt shooters in practice. The bar has been set pretty low but I do like his shot.

He looks good in those clips but highlights clips are just that. Highlights. They can be misleading. I do like his potential and his shot.

I really don’t get why some of you get all annoyed that some people are skeptical about our recruits. It doesn’t mean we don’t want them to succeed or that we think they’ll be the next Hammond. We just have a “believe it when we see it approach”. I don’t think any reasonable person here doesn’t believe we are in good hands with Archie.

I agree that this first class for Archie was always going to be challenging. Starting recruiting late after having been out of basketball for a year was a big hurdle to overcome. In the end, even though there are many differing opinions on here, we all want the same: return to glory for Rhody basketball. And I can’t wait to to be there celebrating with all of you when we get there. Rhody always!
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Anyone who says “he looks good in this clip/highlight” shows how much they know about evaluating and forming an opinion on potential players.

EVERYBODY looks good in edited clips. No player is going to post themselves playing poorly.

I’m in the wait and see approach when it comes to recruits.

I won’t get excited about 99% of players until they produce on the court or is an All American type recruit.

Like it’s been posted about multiple times, Rory was hailed as our shooting savior and has done nothing/looks overwhelmed on the court.
1 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Anyone who says “he looks good in this clip/highlight” shows how much they know about evaluating and forming an opinion on potential players.

EVERYBODY looks good in edited clips. No player is going to post themselves playing poorly.

I won’t get excited about 99% of players until they produce on the court or is an All American type recruit.

Like it’s been posted about multiple times, Rory was hailed as our shooting savior and has done nothing/looks overwhelmed on the court.
Yeah and we'd be very fortunate if these guys come in and contribute in a major way right away.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Anyone who says “he looks good in this clip/highlight” shows how much they know about evaluating and forming an opinion on potential players.

15, I never thought Rory would be an immediate impact player.
As a matter of fact, I thought there might be a chance he redshirts.
I was pleasntly surprised when he did have that one breakout game against Ill. State
As we know it usually takes bigs a little more time to develop, including stretch 4's at this level.

I do think however that Rory can become a solid contributor as he matures.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

An observation isn’t an opinion , though. Sometimes, people make observations without offering an opinion one way or the other.

Not seeing a specific post you are addressing though, that includes an opinion beyond the above quoted portion, so I am only just making a general distinction to your first sentence above,15.

If someone says “X player looks good in that clip,” that to me
is just an observation from that specific clip or extended video. If they then expand on the observation to say based on that clip the HS recruit will be a great, good, average or bad in college, then I consider that an opinion from that specific clip or video, unless they present more evidence to support their opinion.

That said, not speaking for anyone else, I can have an initial positive reaction to an observation of a video and have a wait and see approach on an opinion, as you do, while knowing that every player has a weakness or weaknesses.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I've watched plenty of full games of Connor. It's not just edited clips. He's a great shooter in most games I've watched. Maybe it won't translate at this level, but he looks good in the games he's playing in now. You're totally exaggerating what people thought of Rory. Yes, we thought he looked like a good shooter. Many also thought he would have issues adjusting to speed at this level. Which he clearly is. Savior? Give me a break.

If you don't want to get excited about any recruit, that's fine, but your condescending responses to people like myself that take the time to watch live games and give their honest input about the players is what bothers me. You laughing at my post when I responded to someone saying that our recruits next year suck is completely unnecessary. You find the negative about every little thing regarding these players. You don't need to bash people with more faith than you do. We get it. You don't think the recruits will be any good until you see it. Not everyone needs to think that way.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I’m not a basketball expert nor do I follow recruiting in-depth. I read the info posted in this forum and some of the articles attached, so take that for what it’s worth. The reason that comes to mind right now is that I recall somebody posting that he had only played a few minutes at his new school. That doesn’t sound promising. Then, the years of overhyping all players who choose URI. I have to see it to believe it. Long, Silverio, Tres, Hammond, Bertrand and so many others. Someone even said Malik for Tyrese was an upgrade…
None of us are experts. The experts should be our staff and head coach. I don't know if he will be a star, but I think he'll make an impact because we can't hit a thing this season. Putnam is one of the best programs in the country. He is playing with and against top competition.

I don't know how you can watch these clips and not see that Connor has a beautiful shot. Similar to Chance Stephens last year. Some guys are snipers.

Regarding your comment about overhyping players. I really don't get why some of you get annoyed that people get excited when we land a recruit. I and others having a positive outlook on recruits doesn't mean we think they will all be the next Steph Curry. I know Connor has weaknesses. I know Archie will have recruiting misses.. I also know that Archie and this staff have a track record of landing legitimate talent. Which is why I get so confused when people bring up Cox. This head coach and this staff are a big upgrade from Cox, so we should expect some of these recruits to make an impact.

I thought this first class would be the hardest because Archie took a year off and was thrown into a full rebuild with many players transferring. Don't you have a little faith that Archie and this highly experienced staff will bring in some better talent each season? That's why I trust that Cam and Connor are upgrades. Especially Connor.

We are ranked 340th in 3pt shooting %, so I think it's crazy to think Connor won't help.

We shall see next year.

I agree that there’s potential for Connor to have an impact from the beginning, mainly because he does seem to bring something we currently don’t have: consistent 3pt shooting. Let’s not forget that Rory supposedly has that too and he can’t get off the bench. And, IIRC, Bassy was one of the best 3pt shooters in practice. The bar has been set pretty low but I do like his shot.

He looks good in those clips but highlights clips are just that. Highlights. They can be misleading. I do like his potential and his shot.

I really don’t get why some of you get all annoyed that some people are skeptical about our recruits. It doesn’t mean we don’t want them to succeed or that we think they’ll be the next Hammond. We just have a “believe it when we see it approach”. I don’t think any reasonable person here doesn’t believe we are in good hands with Archie.

I agree that this first class for Archie was always going to be challenging. Starting recruiting late after having been out of basketball for a year was a big hurdle to overcome. In the end, even though there are many differing opinions on here, we all want the same: return to glory for Rhody basketball. And I can’t wait to to be there celebrating with all of you when we get there. Rhody always!
I think this is a completely reasonable take, and I get your point. Great post.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I've watched plenty of full games of Connor. It's not just edited clips. He's a great shooter in most games I've watched. Maybe it won't translate at this level, but he looks good in the games he's playing in now. You're totally exaggerating what people thought of Rory. Yes, we thought he looked like a good shooter. Many also thought he would have issues adjusting to speed at this level. Which he clearly is. Savior? Give me a break.

If you don't want to get excited about any recruit, that's fine, but your condescending responses to people like myself that take the time to watch live games and give their honest input about the players is what bothers me. You laughing at my post when I responded to someone saying that our recruits next year suck is completely unnecessary. You find the negative about every little thing regarding these players. You don't need to bash people with more faith than you do. We get it. You don't think the recruits will be any good until you see it. Not everyone needs to think that way.

Please quote where I said Estevez and Dubsky suck.

That is 100% false and you know it.
0 x
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Hey woke Mike, I was going to send you a pm and take this off the board, but it appears I can't. So there you go.
Thanks MAGABlueRam. Not sure what makes my post woke. I guess if one has thoughts about or doesn't have the world view that you do, that makes one woke? But it's nice to lob attacks like that at the Brown players and the Brown coach.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thanks MAGABlueRam. Not sure what makes my post woke. I guess if one has thoughts about or doesn't have the world view that you do, that makes one woke? But it's nice to lob attacks like that at the Brown players and the Brown coach.
Brown players and Coaches just stood around while a group of young people sang the National Anthem. Always the opposing team lines up along the FT line with all players and coaches facing the singer(s) and color guard. Don’t recall a team ever doing what Brown did - just informally standing around - not lined up facing the URI Players/Coaches/Staff. I didn’t notice any Brown players sitting but then I wasn’t looking for that either.

Now the Army Team on Saturday? They lined up exactly right and I wouldn’t expect anything less.
A59440DA-C526-498D-A80E-C3D3B85F94BD.jpeg
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Brown players and Coaches just stood around while a group of young people sang the National Anthem. Always the opposing team lines up along the FT line with all players and coaches facing the singer(s) and color guard. Don’t recall a team ever doing what Brown did - just informally standing around - not lined up facing the URI Players/Coaches/Staff. I didn’t notice any Brown players sitting but then I wasn’t looking for that either.

Now the Army Team on Saturday? They lined up exactly right and I wouldn’t expect anything less.

A59440DA-C526-498D-A80E-C3D3B85F94BD.jpeg
Nor would I.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Can’t imagine a more boomerish thing to get all twisted up about than what other people are doing during the national anthem.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago Can’t imagine a more boomerish thing to get all twisted up about than what other people are doing during the national anthem.
Yup, thought everyone was way past that.

Wasted energy.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Please quote where I said Estevez and Dubsky suck.

That is 100% false and you know it.
I said I responded to a post implying that they suck. Not your post. Someone else's. I don't remember you saying that they sucked anywhere. I responded by saying that Connor is a 3-star player and a shooter, and we desperately need that, so I expect him to make an impact. You laughed, acted like I said this kid would be the next Steph Curry, and said I think I'm a scout. If I were a scout, I would spend much more time focusing on players around the country. Not one school...I love URI basketball more than any team in the world, so I spend my free time watching our recruits because I enjoy doing it. After watching the recruits play, I come here to discuss the players. I take the time to edit and post clips of current players and recruits to contribute to this incredible message board of fellow die-hard Rhody fans. Especially for the people here who tell me they don't get to watch many games or recruits. That's all. Yes, I am typically optimistic about the incoming players because I trust this staff, and I truly believe we will land some great players for this program. Yes, some recruits will be busts. We have seen 4-star players suck and 2-star players become stars. Anything is possible.

You seem to have issues with many things on here, so for some reason, it bothers you when I say anything positive about these recruits. You have every right to have whatever opinion you want on these players. However, I wish you would stop acting like I and others are making EVERY recruit out to be All-Americans and our saviors. People get excited about new incoming players like any other fanbase, and we are hoping for the best. Most of us know that it's nearly impossible for an A10 team to land a bunch of superstars every year. But we may land a few cornerstone players and build around them.

Anyways, I'm moving on, and I'm not changing my opinion of Connor. I think he'll be a big piece of our future. Go, Rhody!!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING