A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by ramster »

Fordham, Duquesne and UMASS should be kicked out of the A10……..ooops, wait a minute

D7510EF8-754B-4E1F-A915-6899B2B82173.jpeg
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Fordham, Duquesne and UMASS should be kicked out of the A10……..ooops, wait a minute

People said Umass should be kicked out? I haven’t heard that before.
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Nobody thought UMass should be kicked out, people thought they'd leave on their own for football. And using non-conference results to draw any kind of conclusions is ludicrous. Other than that, great take or something I guess
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Fordham, Duquesne and UMASS should be kicked out of the A10……..ooops, wait a minute

Leaving for football reasons. Many posters here hate UMASS and would love to see them out of the A10. My guess is in 5 years UMASS will be in a Football Conference as realignment continues. I’d hate to see UMASS leave but it’s possible being FBS. UCONN is FBS too and also an independent like UMASS.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Nobody thought UMass should be kicked out, people thought they'd leave on their own for football. And using non-conference results to draw any kind of conclusions is ludicrous. Other than that, great take or something I guess
THEY AIN'T PLAYED NO ONE, PAWL!
5 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Leaving for football reasons. Many posters here hate UMASS and would love to see them out of the A10. My guess is in 5 years UMASS will be in a Football Conference as realignment continues. I’d hate to see UMASS leave but it’s possible being FBS. UCONN is FBS too and also an independent like UMASS.
As far as UMass goes, I think they've been mentioned as our #2 rival, and a team that most here have no love for. However, I don't think there have been any serious posts about wanting them out of the A-10.

If Fordham doesn't post a winning season in A-10 play, it'll be their 16th year in a row they finish under .500 in conference play. In 28 years of A-10 play, they've went .500 or better three times. I hope they've turned a corner this year, but I'd note that KenPom rates their Strength of Schedule at 357 out of 363 teams, which is why they're sitting at 169 in that ranking system, despite an 8-1 record.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

And if Fordham doesn't make the NCAA tournament this year it will continue their streak of never making the NCAA tournament as a member of the Atlantic 10
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

As far as UMass goes, I think they've been mentioned as our #2 rival, and a team that most here have no love for. However, I don't think there have been any serious posts about wanting them out of the A-10.

If Fordham doesn't post a winning season in A-10 play, it'll be their 16th year in a row they finish under .500 in conference play. In 28 years of A-10 play, they've went .500 or better three times. I hope they've turned a corner this year, but I'd note that KenPom rates their Strength of Schedule at 357 out of 363 teams, which is why they're sitting at 169 in that ranking system, despite an 8-1 record.
It's more seeing Fordham, Duquesne and UMASS at the top of the league that's just different and ironic.

Most every year we get the Thread or posts within Threads talking about how Fordham hurts URI's chances for an At-Large Bid, hurts the A10's NET, etc,

Maybe this year we don't get the Annual Fordham should be out of the A10 comments. And while UMASS maybe doesn't belong in the "they shouldn't be in the A10 because they hurt the league" certainly Duquesne and Lasalle are perennial members of that group.

Of note on Fordham is they had a 1-year Coach in Neptune who moved to Villanova and now have another 1st year Head Coach. In today's no penalty to transfer and NIL environment the long term 3-4 year rebuild concept is being challenged by some new Head Coaches. Expect that to happen here as well.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

These are the NET rankings for the A-10 teams for games through 12-04-2022. There are 363 D1 teams this season.

NET thru 12-04-2022.png

Not a single team at this time has an NET rank that would earn an at large NCAA bid. The coming of conference play will not help matters as all remaining games will come against the others in this group. There will be few, if any, chances for signature wins. The best NCAA at large hope for the league is for a team to run roughshod over the rest of the league and pile up wins but ultimately fail to win the A-10 Tournament.

NET Link:
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... t-rankings
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

They should but for a different reason…

They are too good now! :lol:
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Not one person in this boards history has said UMass should be kicked out or want them to leave, but keep trying!

Most here want them to be competitive to bring back a little local rivalry.
3 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Nobody thought UMass should be kicked out, people thought they'd leave on their own for football. And using non-conference results to draw any kind of conclusions is ludicrous. Other than that, great take or something I guess
THEY AIN'T PLAYED NO ONE, PAWL!
Is that you, Legend? :lol:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Not one person in this boards history has said UMass should be kicked out or want them to leave, but keep trying!

Most here want them to be competitive to bring back a little local rivalry.
Fordham, Duquesne, Lasalle all multiple times

UMASS has been mentioned but less frequently than Fordham #1, Duquesne #2 Tied and LaSalle #2 Tied

UMASS is the most hated team in the A10 on the KB Board other than PC, while Boston College comes in just behind UMASS

UMASS and UCONN are candidates for FBS Conferences due to their Independent FBS Classification. UMASS formerly of the MAC, UCONN formerly of the AAC
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago These are the NET rankings for the A-10 teams for games through 12-04-2022. There are 363 D1 teams this season.

NET thru 12-04-2022.png

Not a single team at this time has an NET rank that would earn an at large NCAA bid. The coming of conference play will not help matters as all remaining games will come against the others in this group. There will be few, if any, chances for signature wins. The best NCAA at large hope for the league is for a team to run roughshod over the rest of the league and pile up wins but ultimately fail to win the A-10 Tournament.

NET Link:
Excellent info, RF1. Thanks.

This is bad. Ooooph

Unfortunately, I can’t envision that one team that could run roughshod (I am defining roughshod as undefeated or 1 loss) in the A10 right now. Maybe Dayton, if they get fully healthy.

Bad, bad year for the conference so far. And, I thought the conference had a legit shot at 3 bids with one other in the conversation but missing out.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago These are the NET rankings for the A-10 teams for games through 12-04-2022. There are 363 D1 teams this season.

NET thru 12-04-2022.png

NET Link:

This is bad. Ooooph

Unfortunately, I can’t envision that one team that could run roughshod (I am defining roughshod as undefeated or 1 loss) in the A10 right now. Maybe Dayton, if they get fully healthy.

Bad, bad year for the conference so far. And, I thought the conference had a legit shot at 3 bids with one other in the conversation but missing out.
You were not alone predicting 3 or even 4 teams. Didn't Rothstein do it too?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

NET thru 12-04-2022.png

NET Link:

This is bad. Ooooph

You were not alone predicting 3 or even 4 teams. Didn't Rothstein do it too?
Many predicted this could be a break-out year for the A10 with getting more than 2 bids, including me.
Yes Rothstein also had predicted it.

It has been disappointing for the upper tier A10 teams.
Injuries to a certain extent may have played a part in it but can't always use that as an excuse.

At this point let's see how it all plays out.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Tough to improve the NET in A10 Conference Play when the entire conference is down.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

As a reminder, last year at this time our NET was 86, and Richmond was at 100. Yeah, you want to be lower than higher, but Kenpom is probably more accurate when it comes to where a team is headed. By season's end, I think St. Louis and Dayton will be at-large contenders, and everyone else is probably playing for the autobid.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago As a reminder, last year at this time our NET was 86, and Richmond was at 100. Yeah, you want to be lower than higher, but Kenpom is probably more accurate when it comes to where a team is headed. By season's end, I think St. Louis and Dayton will be at-large contenders, and everyone else is probably playing for the autobid.
Yes Dayton, if they have a healthy Smith and Elvis.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago As a reminder, last year at this time our NET was 86, and Richmond was at 100. Yeah, you want to be lower than higher, but Kenpom is probably more accurate when it comes to where a team is headed. By season's end, I think St. Louis and Dayton will be at-large contenders, and everyone else is probably playing for the autobid.
Yes Dayton, if they have a healthy Smith and Elvis.
The problem is there are no teams in the 30’s or 40’s. You need at least a couple teams with good NET Numbers so if you play them and even beat them your NET improves.

This A10 NET has 2 teams over 300 and 3 teams over 200. That’s 1/3rd of the conference.

This Conference Championship AQ is wide open.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Based on the present NET and KENPOM numbers, it looks like St Joe's and LaSalle will be Rhody's main competition for last place.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Based on the present NET and KENPOM numbers, it looks like St Joe's and LaSalle will be Rhody's main competition for last place.
St Louis, UMASS and Fordham are the only teams under 100 NET

We play UMASS and Fordham twice which will help our NET
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Based on the present NET and KENPOM numbers, it looks like St Joe's and LaSalle will be Rhody's main competition for last place.
St Louis, UMASS and Fordham are the only teams under 100 NET

We play UMASS and Fordham twice which will help our NET
Don't think our NET really matters at this point.
3 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

No...just Fordham and Duquesne. Haha
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

UMass is expected to be without their top player Noah Fernandes for the rest of the OOC schedule.
He injured his ankle 12/2 during the Harvard game and was sitting in a boot for yesterday's game.
He should be back to play the Bonnies on12/21.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey, the theme song for the A10 this year should be….bad luck, that’s what ya got, that’s what ya got (by Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes in the late 70’s?).

Bad luck this year.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago UMass is expected to be without their top player Noah Fernandes for the rest of the OOC schedule.
He injured his ankle 12/2 during the Harvard game and was sitting in a boot for yesterday's game.
They should still be able to win the rest of their OOC

Wouldn't be surprised if they slip up though
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

NET thru 12-04-2022.png

NET Link:

This is bad. Ooooph

Dayton and SLU have dropped the ball

I'm really not shocked

We've been hyping up the league since we last went to the tournament and they've all fallen flat on their face

The last teams that were any good in the A-10 were our last two tourbament teams and Obi's Dayton.

SLU could maybe emerge as a team around the caliber that our last tournament teams were. They'll have to be pretty flawless the rest of the way if they're gonna do that after falling on their face against Maryland and Auburn. We'll see how well the PC and Memphis wins serve them down the line.

They play @ the Iona Rick Pitino's (4-2) tonight only -1.5 favorites

Then
Boise State 6-2
Drake 7-1
SIUE 7-2

Decent slate coming up. Win all those and their NET should be in a good position if they don't majorly stub their toe in A-10 play (very likely to happen lol)
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago UMass is expected to be without their top player Noah Fernandes for the rest of the OOC schedule.
They should still be able to win the rest of their OOC

Wouldn't be surprised if they slip up though
I don't know PRT, without Fernandes I think they can easily lose 1 of their next 3 games.
UMass/Lowell who isn't a pushover this season.
Hofstra in NYC, they beat GW and lost to GM in OT at Va.
Also North Texas not terrible.

Anyone of these wins would be our best to date.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hats off to Travis for that OOC slate he’s scheduling to get them a bid I like it
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Now after SLU getting destroyed by Iona the very upper tier of the A10 is a mess.
Travis Ford is getting slammed by the SLU fans with all their high expectations this season.
Like I said previously, I don't feel SLU moves the needle enough for a BE invitation.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A10 Coaches Preseason Poll had:
1.Dayton (5-4)
2.Saint Louis (7-3)
3.VCU (5-3)
4.Loyola of Chicago (4-5)
81FDD456-87A4-4450-BA44-2632C2FD1726.png
8DECE2F3-4D67-4E5B-866D-FBB75739599F.jpeg
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Can someone explain why Kent state is 32 NET and St Louis is 76 NET? Records look similar against the quads. Not that I think St Louis is too low. I just think Kent St is too high. And I could add Iona in there too.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago Can someone explain why Kent state is 32 NET and St Louis is 76 NET? Records look similar against the quads. Not that I think St Louis is too low. I just think Kent St is too high. And I could add Iona in there too.
NET is a metric that only makes sense as the year drags on. Earlier in the year the metric taking in the opponent/location/win or loss is combined with the net efficiency. That efficiency piece helps shape the "opponent" piece.

Kent State has played some close games against very good teams (Gonzaga and Houston), while blowing out every other team they've played.

They will fall as they get into conference play, but if you keep winning games by double digits and only losing to ranked teams you'll probably still be good.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU loses at home by 11 to Jacksonville. Rams were 8.5 point favorite
VCU falls to 5-4

Dayton loses by 29 at Virginia Tech. Hokies were 7 point favorites.
Dayton falls to 5-5

Two flagship A10 programs struggling in OOC

Took a stroll over to the Dayton and VCU message boards. Yikes. Be forewarned.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
RJRam wrote: 1 year ago Can someone explain why Kent state is 32 NET and St Louis is 76 NET? Records look similar against the quads. Not that I think St Louis is too low. I just think Kent St is too high. And I could add Iona in there too.
NET is a metric that only makes sense as the year drags on. Earlier in the year the metric taking in the opponent/location/win or loss is combined with the net efficiency. That efficiency piece helps shape the "opponent" piece.

Kent State has played some close games against very good teams (Gonzaga and Houston), while blowing out every other team they've played.

They will fall as they get into conference play, but if you keep winning games by double digits and only losing to ranked teams you'll probably still be good.

Example of efficiency

PK85 champions crack top five
Few teams have risen more compared to preseason consensus in the first month of the season than UConn and Purdue, so it’s not surprising to see them slightly higher in the NET than in the current polls. Both these teams have been NET darlings so far this season because of their penchant for blowing opponents out, which inflates the NET by boosting raw efficiency margins. UConn has won all nine games it has played by double digits and eight of those by 15 or more, while Purdue beat Duke and Gonzaga by a combined 37 points behind what is currently the most efficient offense in the nation. Losses will almost certainly come eventually for these two teams, but they’ve earned their spot in the top three based on what they’ve accomplished to date.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2022/12 ... ll-2022-23
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhoades, Ford, and Grant are currently all getting slammed by their fans.
This was the season where I and several others felt the A10 would have a good chance to get more than 2 NCAAT bids.
Instead, we seem to be digressing and will be lucky to get 2 or at this rate just the automatic bid.
Not sure if our conference stays in the top 10 or even slips a little.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Rhoades, Ford, and Grant are currently all getting slammed by their fans.
This was the season where I and several others felt the A10 would have a good chance to get more than 2 NCAAT bids.
Instead, we seem to be digressing and will be lucky to get 2 or at this rate just the automatic bid.
Not sure if our conference stays in the top 10 or even slips a little.
Thank God this is happening in a year where we weren't going to have any at large chances. I'd be dying.

Tough to be a Dayton fan - the shutdown in 2020 took a final four if not a national championship from them. And now this. Woof.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

While the lack of quality wins is the main problem for the A-10 this year, there is another new factor that is not helping. The NCAA tweaked the NET strength of schedule (SOS) formula this season and some of the teams in the A-10 have seen the biggest old versus new differentials.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

My thoughts are similar to Blue Man.

If our team had high expectations this season, we would be going crazy like the fans of the top tier teams (Dayton, SLU, and VCU), also teams expected to be good; GM, Richmond, and Loyola have struggled.
Yes, our team is bad at this time, but we had so many question marks going into this season.
For me, I am not feeling as disappointed as I normally would have.

Because our roster is so young, I do have optimism for the future.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Go Fordham!? :shock:
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s the same thing, over and over.

Preseason- A10 has a chance to be really, really good
OOC schedule- the A10 sucks and will be lucky to get one team in the tournament (I know)
End of season- A10 gets in two (maybe three, at best, depending on conference tournament)

Archie should be glad this isn’t the A10 of 2012-13 when the conference had five tournament teams.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I have to admit Fordham's start has been quite impressive.
They are 9-1, winning all the games they are supposed to, plus beating a good Tulane team in New Orleans.
Only loss was to #10 Arkansas.

As a team they are shooting 46% and 36% 3pt.
Also outscoring opponents by almost 7 pts and rebounds by 5.

So far, the Keith Urgo promotion/hire as a HC looks very solid.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, Fordham’s OOC schedule is nothing special, but it still must feel good to string together some wins. Neptune had always been a likely replacement for Wright, just kind of stinks that it happened so quickly for Fordham. Credit to Urgo for managing the transition. I think Neptune will be fine. He’ll look like a better coach now that Whitmore is back- amazing how coaches get smarter when they have better players!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

OCC Schedule coming to a close with most A10 teams having just 12 or 3 OOC games remaining

The Top 4 teams per A10 preseason Coaches Poll have underperformed: Dayton, St Louis, VCU and Loyola Chicago.

Only 3 A10 teams in the Top 100 NET. The best is UMASS with only 85 NET. St Louis and Fordham are also in the Top 100
E9146D99-C244-4C74-AA5F-FB0A5C74F0DC.jpeg
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago OCC Schedule coming to a close with most A10 teams having just 12 or 3 OOC games remaining

The Top 4 teams per A10 preseason Coaches Poll have underperformed: Dayton, St Louis, VCU and Loyola Chicago.

Only 3 A10 teams in the Top 100 NET

E9146D99-C244-4C74-AA5F-FB0A5C74F0DC.jpeg
The A10 has really disappointed us so far OOC.
Yes, I am also guilty of over-hyping the conference this season.
Injuries may have played a part, but don't really want to use that as an excuse.

At this point unless something really crazy happens, it looks like we just get the auto-bid.
Can't say any other team is really deserving at this point.

Although on a positive note, with some of the new coaching changes, the future may not be so bleak.
2 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

I was also very high on the conference heading into the season but non con has been a train wreck. If any of the top 3 go on a crazy run through conference play they could still play themselves into at large contention but it would take a 15+ win season in conference and that just is not happening. SLU and Dayton should have been locks for at large bids.
2 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago If any of the top 3 go on a crazy run through conference play they could still play themselves into at large contention.
I think it's much, much more likely that the A-10 cannibalizes themselves.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago If any of the top 3 go on a crazy run through conference play they could still play themselves into at large contention.
I think it's much, much more likely that the A-10 cannibalizes themselves.
I have to agree with you.
None of the top-tier A10 teams have distinguished themselves.
2 x