12/7 | Brown | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/7 | Brown | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago If this was Cox, and we had this same situation and he left two TOs on the board, we would CRUSH him.

CRUSH him.

I don’t see why we wouldn’t crush Archie with this decision.

Inexcusable to leave TWO timeouts on the board.
Absolutely. This is a bigger rebuild than we thought, but that doesn't excuse poor coaching decisions like that, if anything it means his coaching needs to be more on point. Massive mistake on the last possession
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

The offense really sputtered when Bassy was on the floor.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhody Sody wrote: 1 year ago Still trying to figure out how all of you comment during the game with the network at the Ryan Center.
I’d imagine most everyone skipped out on making a drive to Kingston on a Wednesday night to watch this “basketball game”. Not sure it legally qualifies to be called that
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I agree I don’t think it’s just a physical talent issue, I also think they don’t understand situations
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Bassy took 6 shots. Ish 8 shots for the game. That ain’t right.

0 fer for Bassy while Ish goes 6 of 8. How did we only get him 8 shots tonight? That’s poor shot distribution. Need to get that fixed ASAP!
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Disgusting loss considering we led the whole freaking game

We win that game 95 out of 100 times the way it played out !!
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Horrible loss. We would eat Cox alive if he didn’t call a timeout in those final 10 seconds. This is the first time I’ve said this.Bad coaching by Archie tonight.
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I’m all for hometown kids but Bassy was the reason why we lost this game
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

That's inexcusable. I hope we see a massive roster turnover.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago The offense really sputtered when Bassy was on the floor.
He’s not a D1 player. People have been enamored because he’s had some games with more than 5 assists, a rarity in the last few years from anyone on our rosters.

A lot easier to get assists when you are a guaranteed 0 on the offensive end and don’t even need to bother to shoot the ball. Not sure what’s worse, that, or when he tries to shoot
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Just brutal. Five points from the bench. If Stewart couldn't get anything going tonight, I don't think he's going to be a factor for this season, and he's probably in danger of being recruited over.

URI only had four offensive rebounds. That's shockingly low for a team that you'd think we would have an athleticism advantage over.

Hard to blame Leggett because he's been our best player this year, but Archie or someone else needs to encourage him to play "Hero Ball" or get a bit more aggressive on offense. In the final minute, we had a Bilau turnover and a Malik Martin missed shot, and Freeman was already fouled out. Leggett's last shot attempt came with 3:53 left, and he finished with just eight attempts.

Very good bounce back game for Martin, about the only clear positive from tonight's game.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Sure he could have used the TO to set up a half court offense that we suck at running. But yea he should have at least tried.
This is my thought. I don’t have a huge issue with not using the TOs. Our half court offense is horrific, probably had a better chance catching them off guard in transition.

Been saying it for weeks. You have two creators/scores in Bray and Ish. Then you have everyone else. And everyone else seems incapable of scoring consistently at a D1 level (minus Malik on occasion)
It's not as much about setting up the half court offense, though I don't think it hurts, look at how disorganized we were in the backcourt. That disorganization kept us from having a good shot on our last possession
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Can’t win giving up layups under your basket on inbound passes.

At any level….
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Speaking of freeman, plenty of other guys did perplexing and inexcusable things down the stretch to cost them the game, but he picked up one of the dumbest fouls I’ve ever seen (his 5th foul, away from the ball, in the bonus, at the end of a game, clinging to a lead) and walked off the court high fiving everyone in the gym like he just dropped 40 in a blowout win. I would have had to have restrained myself from flipping tables and kicking chairs.

If “attitude is everything” this team has a LONG way to go from a mentality standpoint in addition to a talent standpoint. I get that with a young team that is also something that has to be built up and learned but to me it seems like guys that play at a high level, take it seriously and “get it” have at least a foundation with this stuff by the time they’re in 8th grade.

You just lost a game to your bitter rivals because you got absolutely dominated on the boards, so tonight you come out against a bunch of non-scholarship future bankers and get completely owned on the boards, including giving up second and third chance points down the stretch to blow the game. Does anyone on this roster “got that dog in him”?
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Is this rock bottom?
2 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

At least he recognizes/admits it.

4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My first thought was we needed to call TO when we got possession

Not sure we would have scored out of the timeout but I thought we should have used it
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There is now no disputing that URI is the worst team in RI this year. Very likely also one of the worst teams in New England as well.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Total choke job. Those who think we will improve as the season goes along may have to rethink that. 9 games in and we might even be worse. I really hope that next year will be much better. Archie unfortunately will have to own this. I'm not saying I'm losing faith in him, but jeez...Bassy wont see the floor after this season, sorry.
2 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Is this rock bottom?
Nope. Losing to Army on Saturday will be.
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago Speaking of freeman, plenty of other guys did perplexing and inexcusable things down the stretch to cost them the game, but he picked up one of the dumbest fouls I’ve ever seen (his 5th foul, away from the ball, in the bonus, at the end of a game, clinging to a lead) and walked off the court high fiving everyone in the gym like he just dropped 40 in a blowout win. I would have had to have restrained myself from flipping tables and kicking chairs.
I think he was trying to be a good teammate, encourage the guys on the floor to close it out. He was clearly pissed at first complaining to the ref before then high fiving his teammates
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That one is on Archie. They were switching Ds and it was taking out guys 15-20 seconds to figure it out. They got a dozen easy baskets on us in half court. Similar to what PC was doing to us. Just guys losing their man and giving up easy layups. We got outrebounded by an Ivy League team. We have a serious talent issue right now until we see some significant development.
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I don’t give a bleep that Archie keeps taking the blame…fix it! That’s why you are paid $1.7m!
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Post game show: Archie’s pissed. Good!

He explained why he didn’t call a time at the end.

Paraphrasing - He didn’t want to call time and have them come out and switch to a zone. Said we previously turned it over 3 straight times when they switched to a zone.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Archie pissed in post game. Said it was poor coaching on his part. No excuses.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

First time Brown beat us in the Ryan Center and first time we lost back to back games against Brown since 12/14/82 and 1/31/84. I want to puke
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Post game show: Archie’s pissed. Good!

He explained why he didn’t call a time at the end. He didn’t want to call time and have them come out and switch to a zone. Said they previously turned it over 3 straight times when they switched to a zone.
He's right that our best chance normally would be to catch them off balance, the problem is we were more off balance than they were, which is why taking the timeout would have been the right call
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

President, CEO, SVP of the Archie Miller Fan Club has some explaining to do. Hopefully an official statement forthcoming tonight.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RoadyJay wrote: 1 year ago At least he recognizes/admits it.

Still love you Arch , this year is all about getting better not about wins and losses though tonight sucks real bad

Raise your hands if Cox would have ever said a quote like the above
2 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago The offense really sputtered when Bassy was on the floor.
He’s not a D1 player. People have been enamored because he’s had some games with more than 5 assists, a rarity in the last few years from anyone on our rosters.

A lot easier to get assists when you are a guaranteed 0 on the offensive end and don’t even need to bother to shoot the ball. Not sure what’s worse, that, or when he tries to shoot

Now that Miranda chose NC State, he can leave…
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago First time Brown beat us in the Ryan Center and first time we lost back to back games against Brown since 12/14/82 and 1/31/84. I want to puke
Ouch.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This team is just so bad. I don’t see a path to being a good team this year or next year. If Archie is going to get this team contending for an ncaa birth - the main factors of that contention are nowhere to be seen. So it’s way off in the future. Awful job.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'll make another major understatement. Massive roster changes needed next season. Too many non D1 players on this team. We know Archie can coach but he's got probably the least talent he's ever had right now and hes got to be awfully frustrated along with all of us. The onus will be on him to upgrade this roster sooner rather than later.
6 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Still love you Arch , this year is all about getting better not about wins and losses though tonight sucks real bad

Giving him credit for pointing out how bad he is??? His roster isn’t capable of competing in the Ivy League. This is bad.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Agreed, this team may need to be blown up.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I want to see Archie do this tonight. LOL
🪨⭐
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Outfought, outhustled, outplayed, outcoached.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Archie better hit the recruiting trail and land us some 4* recruits. I'm suspect on the recruits next year because they are 2*. I'm suspect on some of these guys on the team now. The freshman bigs will need time, but our guard play is a disaster.
1 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago Speaking of freeman, plenty of other guys did perplexing and inexcusable things down the stretch to cost them the game, but he picked up one of the dumbest fouls I’ve ever seen (his 5th foul, away from the ball, in the bonus, at the end of a game, clinging to a lead) and walked off the court high fiving everyone in the gym like he just dropped 40 in a blowout win. I would have had to have restrained myself from flipping tables and kicking chairs.

If “attitude is everything” this team has a LONG way to go from a mentality standpoint in addition to a talent standpoint. I get that with a young team that is also something that has to be built up and learned but to me it seems like guys that play at a high level, take it seriously and “get it” have at least a foundation with this stuff by the time they’re in 8th grade.

You just lost a game to your bitter rivals because you got absolutely dominated on the boards, so tonight you come out against a bunch of non-scholarship future bankers and get completely owned on the boards, including giving up second and third chance points down the stretch to blow the game. Does anyone on this roster “got that dog in him”?
I don’t think Freeman high fiving his teammates was a poor attitude. On the contrary, I think he was encouraging them for the rest of the game. Walking off the court in a pissy mood, without acknowledging his teammates would be selfish. The foul call was weak and somewhat out of his control.
4 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago I'll make another major understatement. Massive roster changes needed next season. Too many non D1 players on this team. We know Archie can coach but he's got probably the least talent he's ever had right now and hes got to be awfully frustrated along with all of us. The onus will be on him to upgrade this roster sooner rather than later.
Agreed, and I said the exact same. Now to be fair, he also envisioned his guard position being a bit better with Ant Harris and Carey than it is otherwise. Missing those two guys simultaneously is killing us.

Then you have Weston taking awhile to get going. Him either finding it or not will be key. And a guy like Lou getting sick for a couple months set back another potential piece. Sounds like I’m making excuses for Archie, but it’s also a bunch of uncontrollables on some level

Beyond that, he’s always acknowledged the front court had the biggest question mark. Barely any D1 experience from the collective group. They’ve struggled big time in many ways, but I’d say we can at least see progress and potential with that unit
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

At least we have been in three close games now so we are on our way to learning how to win them. I think it’s a good sign that we’ve been in these games. When we figure out how to win them, things will chance fast.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago I'll make another major understatement. Massive roster changes needed next season. Too many non D1 players on this team. We know Archie can coach but he's got probably the least talent he's ever had right now and hes got to be awfully frustrated along with all of us. The onus will be on him to upgrade this roster sooner rather than later.
Agreed, and I said the exact same. Now to be fair, he also envisioned his guard position being a bit better with Ant Harris and Carey than it is otherwise. Missing those two guys simultaneously is killing us.

Then you have Weston taking awhile to get going. Him either finding it or not will be key. And a guy like Lou getting sick for a couple months set back another potential piece. Sounds like I’m making excuses for Archie, but it’s also a bunch of uncontrollables on some level

Beyond that, he’s always acknowledged the front court had the biggest question mark. Barely any D1 experience from the collective group. They’ve struggled big time in many ways, but I’d say we can at least see progress and potential with that unit
Weston seems uninterested. Reminds me of Jordan Hare.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The really disappointing part is you aren’t seeing even a glimmer of consistency from any of the new guys. Weston still looks unsure of himself on offense and like he’s never played basketball. Tchikou didn’t even see the court. Rory and Hutch zilch.

Right now we have two small-ish combo guards (Bray and Ish) that can play and I’m searching for what else. Bilau has shown flashes in multiple games of being serviceable but thats about it. I have no expectations for wins but some development isn’t even evident yet.
6 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

This year may be about getting better but that isn’t happening so far. The only reason we are understanding and patient is because of Archie’s name. Any coach without the name recognition and we would be discussing how bad of a hire this was.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I don't think there will be a massive roster overhaul.
i am also not ready to give up on our young talent.

We knew or at least most of us did, that this season was going to be ugly.
But I will admit, I didn't think our record would be this bad right now.
Unfortunately, it probably won't be much easier as we get into conference play.

But yeah, I expect the players and our staff to improve as the season moves along.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I can’t recall any URI team constantly running the shot clock into single digits after passing up multiple open looks.

Weird. Kinda looks like Hoosiers…

I’m hoping there’s a plan.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I knew we would struggle this season, but didnt think we would be this bad. Losing tonight like we did however is inexcusable though.

I'm concerned about recruiting going forward. With the NIL the better recruits are going to the highest bidder, and URI might have to pony up more $ to get them.With what we're paying Archie along with other program enhancements wheres the money for this going to come from?
1 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Archie better hit the recruiting trail and land us some 4* recruits. I'm suspect on the recruits next year because they are 2*. I'm suspect on some of these guys on the team now. The freshman bigs will need time, but our guard play is a disaster.

I agree. The 2 guys he has for next year don’t excite me one bit. I think he needs to make roster space for about 4 other guys that are all of a much higher caliber than any he has right now. If not, next year may not look much better than this one when it’s all said and done.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Archie better hit the recruiting trail and land us some 4* recruits. I'm suspect on the recruits next year because they are 2*. I'm suspect on some of these guys on the team now. The freshman bigs will need time, but our guard play is a disaster.
Not that it matters, but Connor and Cam are 3 star players. I would be shocked if Connor didn’t make an impact right away with his shot making ability. We desperately need it.

I still have faith in our young guys and most importantly Archie.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
I don't think there will be a massive roster overhaul.
i am also not ready to give up on our young talent.

We knew or at least most of us did, that this season was going to be ugly.
But I will admit, I didn't think our record would be this bad right now.
Unfortunately, it probably won't be much easier as we get into conference play.

But yeah, I expect the players and our staff to improve as the season moves along.
This team is NET 300+. Not sure I've ever seen a team this bad at URI. There is no star. There are no 4* freshmen that are giving us hope for the future. The recruiting needs to pick up big time. We are paying these assistants big money. They need to bring in the talent like yesterday.
5 x