2022-2023 Women's Basketball Season

Discuss everything related to the women's team.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2022-2023 Women's Basketball Season

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Commanding win by Rhody 63-43, thought this may have been closer.
After the first game loss, nice winning streak of 7 games.

Still no Magassa, anyone have any idea when she is expected back, or what the issue is?
Good win today 63-43

Maine had a good contingent of fans at the game. I talked to several of them after the game and many came from Massachusetts or Southern New Hampshire where they live. Several of the players are from Massachusetts or New Hampshire and their family was there to see them play.

Maine lost to Princeton 65-41 on their home court in Orono. Good comparison as URI will play @ Princeton Wednesday December 28th at 2pm

10 players saw between 15 and 25 minutes for URI

URI out-rebounded Maine 40-23 led by Toure with 8 rebounds in 17 minutes and Freshman Anaelle Dutat with 7 rebounds in 22 minutes of play. Dutat had a game high 4 offensive rebounds. Dutat also with 2 blocked shots.

Freshman Ines Debroise played 22 minutes with 3 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal, 2-3 FG, 2-2 FT for 6 points. Very efficient and poised PG

Maine Schedule:
@ James Madison Won 60-58
@ UMASS Lost 54-67
Yale Lost 46-55
Northeastern Won 61-59
Kansas @ Moraga CA St Mary's Thanksgiving Classic Lost 49-76 - Kansas is Ranked 30th in last week's AP Poll with 17 votes
Niagara @ Moraga CA St Mary's Thanksgiving Classic Won 73-57
@ Gonzaga Lost 43-62 - Gonzaga is Ranked 23rd in last week's AP Poll
Princeton Lost 51-65
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Commanding win by Rhody 63-43, thought this may have been closer.

Still no Magassa, anyone have any idea when she is expected back, or what the issue is?
ESPN announcers last game said she has a foot injury. I think they said she’ll be out for a while more
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RIrugger01 wrote: 1 year ago

ESPN announcers last game said she has a foot injury. I think they said she’ll be out for a while more
Thanks 01, hopefully she will be available for the start of A10 play.
A frontcourt of her, Toure, and Squires could be scary good.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI OCC Schedule (12 games):

@ Harvard - Lost 74-88
Dartmouth - Won 89-36
PC - Won 74-72
Coppin State - Won 67-60
Orlando - Southeast Missouri State - Won 66-49
Orlando - Samford - Won 75-63
Buffalo - Won 71-56
Maine - Won 63-43
Dec 7 Wednesday 11am Hartford ESPN+ Education Day
Dec 11 Sunday @ Quinnipiac 12pm
Dec 22 Thursday @ Wake Forest ACCN
Dec 28 Wednesday @ Princeton 2pm ESPN+

Hartford (0-8) Schedule to Date:
LIU - Lost 54-70
@ Quinnipiac - Lost 30-85
@ Boston University - Lost 45-73
@ Stonehill - Lost 35-62
@ PC - Lost 30-60
Bryant - Lost 46-74
Weber State (in Providence)- Lost 44-71
@ Brown - Lost 52-68
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Out until at least the start of A10 Play. Not correct by ESPN announcers from what I have heard
0 x
scorpio
Abdul Fox

Unread post by scorpio »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Out until at least the start of A10 Play. Not correct by ESPN announcers from what I have heard
Apparently she has a shoulder injury.
The freshman PG from France is better than the 5th year Covid transfer in my opinion.
The problem with these 5th year Covid transfers is it doesn't build a program longterm.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

With free transfers and NIL there is no longer the concept of long-term.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Fun game today. They were pitching a shutout for the first 6 minutes or so. And there's real depth on the team this season. Great combination of returning players, promising freshmen and reasonable number of transfers. Tammi.has them playing strong fundamental bball and it's a joy to watch.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Posted earlier on this page, but this is the last reliable update I saw

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
scorpio
Abdul Fox

Unread post by scorpio »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago With free transfers and NIL there is no longer the concept of long-term.
What does NIL have to do with long-term player development and a winning culture?
The new transfer rule only applies once for a player. For the second transfer, unless coming in as a grad student, there is still a redshirt year.
Three one-year-and-done Covid transfers is a lot for a team that is completely different than last year... especially since they are all in the starting lineup.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

08734D72-8398-4324-BDE7-12ECA5867477.jpeg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

scorpio wrote: 1 year ago
Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago With free transfers and NIL there is no longer the concept of long-term.
What does NIL have to do with long-term player development and a winning culture?
The new transfer rule only applies once for a player. For the second transfer, unless coming in as a grad student, there is still a redshirt year.
Three one-year-and-done Covid transfers is a lot for a team that is completely different than last year... especially since they are all in the starting lineup.
Ines Debroise played 22 minutes yesterday to Lassiter’s 18 minutes. Debroise continues to impress and could push for starting role before long. I recall someone saying preseason Debroise could redshirt but she is a great freshman talent. Her 22 minutes was /nd only to Dolly Cairns 25 minutes.

Freshman Anaelle Dutat also got 22 minutes. She is one to watch also. She could grad a starting spot also before the season is over. Dutat and Debroise are strong additions from France.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ines Debroise played 22 minutes yesterday to Lassiter’s 18 minutes. Debroise continues to impress and could push for starting role before long. I recall someone saying preseason Debroise could redshirt but she is a great freshman talent. Her 22 minutes was /nd only to Dolly Cairns 25 minutes.

Freshman Anaelle Dutat also got 22 minutes. She is one to watch also. She could grad a starting spot also before the season is over. Dutat and Debroise are strong additions from France.
Actually I thought there was a chance she might RS, just because of the roster make-up and being a true freshman.
She is having much more of an impact than I expected.
Glad to see Toure is having such a breakout season.

The schedule so far has been pretty favorable.
Aside from the Harvard game, Wake Forest and Princeton will be tough tests on the road.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

NET rankings are out today. URI is 95th, 4th in the A10 right now. UMass is tops as expected.
1 x
scorpio
Abdul Fox

Unread post by scorpio »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Actually I thought there was a chance she might RS, just because of the roster make-up and being a true freshman.

Aside from the Harvard game, Wake Forest and Princeton will be tough tests on the road.
Debroise is the best PG on the team. She should be starting and playing the majority of minutes at PG.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Debroise is the best PG on the team. She should be starting and playing the majority of minutes at PG.
I agree. Maybe that’s the plan for conference play. Some tough games ahead.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Next up:
Hartford at Ryan Center
Wednesday 11am Education Day

Hartford is winless and Ranked NET 361 - dead last
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I agree. Maybe that’s the plan for conference play. Some tough games ahead.
I haven't been to any games, so I will take both your words for it.
I am planning to attend the Princeton game.

Very surprised to hear this.
I definitely thought Lassiter would be solid and hold down the PG position.
That is what Tammi alluded to when she transferred from Rutgers.
Lassiter is a grad and has played significant minutes at P5 level.

To hear that Debroise is outplaying her as a true freshman, says much for our future at that position.
1 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Next up:
Hartford at Ryan Center

Hartford is moving to D3. I believe next year. They're already putting a D3 team on the floor.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NHRamFan wrote: 1 year ago
Hartford at Ryan Center

Hartford is moving to D3. I believe next year. They're already putting a D3 team on the floor.
Good point. I remember that announcement
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hartford at Ryan Center

Free entry tomorrow

0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Tammi has done a great job recruiting young talent and savvy veterans. And 2023 recruits may be her strongest ever. The future looks bright indeed.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

big crowd expected today- several schools will be there- a lot of the 100/200 sections being used.
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

very ez game today; ladies up near 30 points midway in 2nd
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

kal-65 wrote: 1 year ago very ez game today; ladies up near 30 points midway in 2nd
Easy win as expected 88-34.
Non-starters Rinat and Phillips led the way with 23 pts and 20 pts, respectively.
Lassiter had 11 assists.
10 players for Rhody in the scoring column.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago big crowd expected today- several schools will be there- a lot of the 100/200 sections being used.
3,800 on hand today per the box score. A YTD average of 1,390 through six home games with total attendance of 8,341.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Last year they averaged 1120 in 14 games, but that was helped by a crowd of 2415 toward the end of the year against Dayton when we were hunting the regular season conference championship. Nice to see at least a modest jump in average attendance so far
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago big crowd expected today- several schools will be there- a lot of the 100/200 sections being used.
3,800 on hand today per the box score. A YTD average of 1,390 through six home games with total attendance of 8,341.
Seems really good crowd for a mid week day game??
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Basically it's a field trip day for schools. Not sure of all the particulars behind it though
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago

Basically it's a field trip day for schools. Not sure of all the particulars behind it though
Free for schools- just had to notify URI how many seats were needed and they reserved the section(s). My school sent around 200 people.
Actually free to the public also.
Not sure where they came up with 3800- no way to know for sure. There were areas that were reserved but empty- either they were extra seats or a school didnt show up.
I would have guessed around 3000.
Good crowd, kids loved it.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I certainly don't expect this game with Quinnipiac to be as easy and lopsided as our last game.
It also gives us a chance to avenge our loss to them last season in the first round of the WNIT at the RC.

They are currently 5-3 which include losses to nationally ranked NC State and Indiana.
They have a lot of size and experience.

Players of note:
Haywood- Leading scorer (12.7 pts) and 6'2".
Grisdale- Averaging 9.6 pts, last season MAAC All-Rookie Team
Morris - Grad F/C averaging 9 pts/6 rebs, All MAAC 2nd Team (2022)
Cavelry - Grad PG averaging 8 pts/4 assists. All MAAC 3rd Team (2021)
Baskerville- Grad forward/center averaging 8 pts/5 rebs. At Providence BE ROY (19), All-BE 2021.
Other players who had started: O'Donnell freshman big (6 pts) and soph Douglas.

I expect a tough game but hopefully we come out on top.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Tough, hard fought win today by the Rams!!! 9-1 on the season. Great start!!
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I hope someday our men will be able to close games like our Lady Rams! They were down by 3 with just a few minutes left against a tough team on the road but outscored Quinnipiac by 11 to pull off their 9th straight win. Clutch play by Madison
Hattix-Covington, who led the team with 19 points and was a perfect 8 for 8 from the free throw line. This team is DEEP.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I'm not gonna get greedy... just a split in their next two (@ Wake Forest, @ Princeton - two TOUGH teams) and they're looking really good at 10-2 heading into A-10 play.
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Rhody up to 77 in NET.

Next two opponents (Wake - 82, Princeton - 51) are both top 100.

UMass is 60. Fordham 85. St. Joe's 86.
2 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Does anyone know when Tenin Magassa will be available to play?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rjv wrote: 1 year ago Does anyone know when Tenin Magassa will be available to play?
Originally expected sometime this month, as tweeted earlier.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Rhody up to 77 in NET.

Next two opponents (Wake - 82, Princeton - 51) are both top 100.

UMass is 60. Fordham 85. St. Joe's 86.
The next two are Quad 1 and 2 opportunities. Hope they get at least one of em.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

As we finish up OOC, a look at where A10 Coaches saw the A10 and where each team is now with NET:

1.UMASS - 60
2.LaSalle - 161
3.URI - 77
4.Fordham - 85
5.VCU - 195
6.St Joseph - 86
7.Davidson - 123
8.Richmond - 100
9.Duquesne - 117
10.Dayton - 241
11.George Washington - 152
12.St Louis - 202
13.Loyola of Chicago - 275
14.George Mason - 198
15.St Bonaventure - 301

Biggest surprises on the upside:
  • No really big surprises
Biggest surprises on the downside:
  • LaSalle picked 2nd place has a poor 161 NET
  • VCU picked 5th has a 195 NET
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dates to circle:

Jan 5 URI @ UMASS
Feb 16 UMASS @ URI

Top 2 NET Ranked Teams in the A10

25E0BF63-0E14-4AEC-9613-E9C4A99C0F34.jpeg
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This year so far it sees like things worked out well for both URI and UVa.

Tammi currently has a 9-game winning streak; the team has depth and good balance.
Also, some nice young talent.
In addition, she brings in a very promising recruiting class.

Coach "Mox" has totally turned around Virginia, she is also only 39.
They went from 5-22 last season to 11-0 so far 22-23.
While at Missouri State she won the MVC twice and conference COY in 2020 and 2021.
Also 2 NCAAT (3 if not cancelled in 2020) and a Sweet Sixteen.
She also has a top 15 recruiting class for 2023.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU cancelled out of the Tulane Holiday Tournament this Tues and Wed due to Covid.
Tulane, Tennessee Tech and St Francis remain in the Tournament.

https://vcuathletics.com/news/2022/12/2 ... celed.aspx
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Next game Rhody plays Wake Forest tomorrow down there.
They are currently 8-4 and won 5-straight before losing their last game at Syracuse.
They have size and experience.

Jewel Spear leads the way for them averaging 16 pts/4.7 rebs.
In 21-22 she led the conference in scoring and 1st team ACC.

Williams and Harrison also starting are both averaging about 9 points.
Summeil and Hinds start upfront and both are averaging about 7 rebounds.

This will be a very difficult road test and I expect a close game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1pm today Thursday ACCN

Wake Forest NET 81
URI NET 78

29FFE99A-4F15-4F00-ACE7-90BCDD35A91C.png
1 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Summiel is a Connecticut native who has had a nice career at Wake. This will be a tough game, especially on the road.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago 1pm today Thursday ACCN

Wake Forest NET 81
URI NET 78

29FFE99A-4F15-4F00-ACE7-90BCDD35A91C.png
Also on ESPN+
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sophie Phillips starting today in place of Dolly Cairns.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Sophie Phillips starting today in place of Dolly Cairns.
Cairns is unavailable per the broadcast.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If we could make point blank lay ups we'd be winning!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago If we could make point blank lay ups we'd be winning!
They may have been practicing with the men.
Bad 1st half down 15 pts.
Not going to win shooting 24% (FG).
1 x