12/4 | Providence College | 5:00PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/4 | Providence College | 5:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago I think my approach of taking a wait-and-see attitude for any incoming player is paying off big time when it comes to the expectations game. I came into the season with no expectations and willing to form and change them on the fly. To this point my expectations for the W-L this current season are very low and I’m fine with that. My expectations about player development, culture and system implementation remain pretty high. Jury is still out on those but I do have a belief in the direction we are trying to go.
If your system is that you wait to see how the player plays and wait to see if you win or lose you will end up being pretty smart. Maybe Obadiah will let you enter the prediction contest March 1st.
Nobody dumber than me right now.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago I think my approach of taking a wait-and-see attitude for any incoming player is paying off big time when it comes to the expectations game. I came into the season with no expectations and willing to form and change them on the fly. To this point my expectations for the W-L this current season are very low and I’m fine with that. My expectations about player development, culture and system implementation remain pretty high. Jury is still out on those but I do have a belief in the direction we are trying to go.
If your system is that you wait to see how the player plays and wait to see if you win or lose you will end up being pretty smart. Maybe Obadiah will let you enter the prediction contest March 1st.
I mean you’re the only person in the country who truly thought we’d go 23-8 and set an attendance record.

Everybody could have told you that was a very dumb prediction.
6 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
I mean you’re the only person in the country who truly thought we’d go 23-8 and set an attendance record.

Everybody could have told you that was a very dumb prediction.
Then the person right behind me would be the second dumbest?
Would the 3 highest prediction be the 3rd dumbest?
How do you know what other people in the country would have predicted? By the way, great attendance and a great record usually go hand in hand. Now if I predicted the best record and the lowest average attendance then that would be dumb - I think 🤔

What would we do without our Hall Monitor?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

My expectation for this season is real simple…over the course of the year can we identify 4 players that can be part of the core of a good A10 team. Right now we have 2.5 that have that potential (Bray, Ish and Bilau gets the .5 bc of limited body of work). If over the 8-12 weeks 1-2 more emerge as consistent A10 caliber players this season will be a success. The record doesn’t matter tho you would want to see some wins ticking up as more player consistency develops. If we get to the end of the season and we still only have 2.5 A10 caliber players then we are in a second year of rebuild next year. However if we leave this year with 4-5 legit A10 starters then between portal and recruiting I would expect a jump to the mid tier next season and to upper tier the following. Right now it’s way too early to tell.
4 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

imo,the game is 40 minutes.we couldn't stop the pc run at the close of the 1st half.how many to's were called to stop the momentum

no ifs or buis-------dandy don meridith used to say on mnf if ' ifs and buts were candy and nuts what a merry christmas it would be'
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

maybe not the right thread ----the prediction contest should be the lady rams final record;we all may be in contention
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

My disagreements with Archie are very few.
1. I don't believe that focusing on freshmen is the right approach in the portal era.
2. If you are going the freshman, re-building route, then don't start a fifth year senior.

People seem to forget that Archie was invisible for a year to potential recruits. Does GW miss Bray?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago My disagreements with Archie are very few.
1. I don't believe that focusing on freshmen is the right approach in the portal era.
2. If you are going the freshman, re-building route, then don't start a fifth year senior.

People seem to forget that Archie was invisible for a year to potential recruits. Does GW miss Bray?
"this restaurant sucks... and such small portions too!"
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago My disagreements with Archie are very few.

72, I believe Archie was a regular on Goodman’s podcast last year. I would think cbb fans and recruiting advisers were among the followers. So, it’s unlikely he was invisible to recruits in that short span. But, others here may be more familiar with the podcast than me. Hopefully, they will come along and enlighten.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Thankfully in most cases I’m not trying to project a whole roster full of players I’ve never seen (or seen very little of) with my own two eyes. This year was unique in how the roster was constructed and so my approach to the season (not having any expectations) was unique for me. Most every other season I have a very clear and specific idea about what my expectations are based on what I know about our team and our schedule. This year I didn’t.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 1 year ago

Exactly. I think the only game I can remember is the 2003 game where it was practically a blizzard. My roommate and I walked over from Hopkins -- it might have been still snowing even before tipoff if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately, I will not be making the game tonight. I've been having health issues for the last few months and was in the hospital Thursday night; still waiting for a surgical date and to find out actually what is going on. If I tried to go it would be kinda too overwhelming for walking/crowds/standing. I have a ton of FOMO for not going but I'll be watching from my cozy couch looking at my tree at least.

Have fun everyone! :)
Feeling for you friend 💙
Me too. Even though we've never met I enjoy your contributions and our occasional back and forth. 😀 Get better quick!

haha! Indeed. Thank you :)
1 x