Top 10 Keys to a Rhody Win over PC

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Top 10 Keys to a Rhody Win over PC

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

77, and others,
I’d highly recommend reading all 22 pages of last nights PC/TCU game from the 247Friars board. I found it interesting and informative as to how the majority of Friar fans feel right now.

By far, posters are frustrated with Bynum and to a lesser extent Locke. They want Bynum out of the starting line up.
It’s a good read.

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 4/?page=22
I have already and also read several of the forums on our competitors in the A10.

But sometimes you have to take it with a grain of salt.
How many here wanted to bury Ish after last season and now he is their hero.
Same goes for Bray after the first couple of games.

They wanted Moody out at Richmond and then he wins the A10T and a game in the NCAAT.
Then he was okay, now after a few losses, they want him gone.

Also the way Hurley got beat up by some fans after they lost to NMSU in the 1st round.
Now he is in good graces.

If Bynum puts together a couple of strong games, the fans will change their minds.
If not, Cooley may tweak the starting lineup, they do have options.

I don't think they have a stellar line-up or backcourt by BE standards, but against the A10 not bad.
Yep.
Leggett was getting the Jermaine Harris treatment last February and March. It was brutal, being called a D2 player.
PC Board seems pretty united on Bynum whereas Leggett had a couple detractors but not the majority of posters or as brutal as some.
Love seeing Leggett demonstrating All A10 caliber performance.

I think reading the PC board is good for you right now because it comes after a Wed night game, a good opponent and just before our Sat game. It’s not like they just played Merrimack or some other 300 level NET team. Some posters are saying some things never heard other places like here. New stuff.

Key to me for Saturday is for the guys to have fun (I know Cox told them the same thing so shoot me), enjoy the Ryan Center environment with your fellow students, don’t fret if you miss a shot, Adrenalin often makes you shoot a tad long so consider that, get off to a quick start to build confidence, this is your house, leave it all out on the court, get good rebounding position, remember all that we have practiced this summer, fall and past week - carry what we have practiced and learned into the game. You can beat any team at any time, especially in our house.
The PC board is hilarious, can't understand what they expect.
Don't know who I dislike more their fans or the program.

They are coming off their best season in many years.
They lost all 5 starters and 5 out of their top 6 scorers.

Their 3 losses so far aren't terrible.
Miami is good and only lost 1 game.
Close game to SLU who is probably the best team in the A10.
Playing a tough TCU team down in Texas.

Don't think it will happen, but hope we kick their ass, let's really give them something to bitch and cry about.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

True their losses aren’t bad and they haven’t beat anyone either
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 year ago True their losses aren’t bad and they haven’t beat anyone either
Their record so far is about what I would have expected.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Rhody72 is most definitely not a PC fan. He/she is a long term poster and fan of all URI sports. He/she gets trashed by a few here on occasion but he/she does not personally insult other posters very often at all.
Rhody 72 is they/them
If so why does it matter. Does that make it ok to belittle relentlessly by some?
Hey I'm just setting the record straight! They are neither he nor she! Unless they claim otherwise, but last I checked my sources were solid.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody 72 is they/them
If so why does it matter. Does that make it ok to belittle relentlessly by some?
Hey I'm just setting the record straight! They are neither he nor she! Unless they claim otherwise, but last I checked my sources were solid.
So, if it's not a he or a she, what the hell is it?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

So, if it's not a he or a she, what the hell is it?
A human Rhody Fan
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

…so how bout the PC game guys?
1 x
Go Rhody
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Do we really need two threads for the same game?
1 x
Common sense is not common.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 1 year ago Do we really need two threads for the same game?

1st message of this thread and purpose of a separate PC Game thread:

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago I don't want to look past BC but I am doing a podcast with William Georghegan of the Independant and came up with a few keys for URI to win which include:

1. Cutting down Turnovers
2. Making the FT's
3. Isolating Jared Bynum to take him out of the game
4. Don't let role players hurt you too much i.e. Noah Locke
5. Keep the game close and let the Ryan Center be your true sixth man off the bench
6. Two of the newcomers need to have big games whether its Rory Stewart, Lou Hutchinson, Frenchy, Abdou Samb, Brandon Weston, Josaphat Bilau etc.
7. Need to shoot in the 30s from 3 and 40s from 2 at the very least
8. Keep the bigs out of the lane to allow Ish and Bray to take it to the hole.
9. Maintain composure when playing behind
10. Be aware of Ed Croswell (He had a big game against the Rams last season).

Any of your thoughts.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

At this point I feel that URI is a better "TEAM" with Thomas at PG. Thomas moves the ball involving teammates in the offense and gives them good scoring opportunities. Thomas is a superior ball handler and passer than Freeman. When Freeman is at PG there is poor ball movement. Freeman dribbles around looking for a way to get a layup or get fouled. So, we are seeing better scoring numbers from Freeman at a cost of poorer productivity from other players. Our low point total in the BC game is the result of Freeman at PG.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago At this point I feel that URI is a better "TEAM" with Thomas at PG. Thomas moves the ball involving teammates in the offense and gives them good scoring opportunities. Thomas is a superior ball handler and passer than Freeman. When Freeman is at PG there is poor ball movement. Freeman dribbles around looking for a way to get a layup or get fouled. So, we are seeing better scoring numbers from Freeman at a cost of poorer productivity from other players. Our low point total in the BC game is the result of Freeman at PG.
Top 3 on team in Assists per 40 minutes season to date:
5.8 - Thomas
4.0 - Leggett
2.2 - Freeman

Top 3 on team in Turnovers per 40 minutes season to date:
6.3 - Carey
4.6 - Bilau
3.9 - Weston
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys. I don't want to sabataoge the URI Providence thread especially with all the great information on the write up etc. Maybe we can put "Podcast Only" on the title of this one.

In any event here it is. I think the highlight is when I asked William, Blueman question about Cooley suddenly doing a 180 and if that had anything to do with his friendship with Archie Miller. William was honest with his answer which is refreshing.

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Thanks again Scott, just listened.
Did agree with William on his take for the game.

I did get a chuckle from your Freudian slip mentioning Keyontae West instead of Keyontae Johnson regarding the K-State game.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago At this point I feel that URI is a better "TEAM" with Thomas at PG. Thomas moves the ball involving teammates in the offense and gives them good scoring opportunities. Thomas is a superior ball handler and passer than Freeman. When Freeman is at PG there is poor ball movement. Freeman dribbles around looking for a way to get a layup or get fouled. So, we are seeing better scoring numbers from Freeman at a cost of poorer productivity from other players. Our low point total in the BC game is the result of Freeman at PG.
I saw a ton of missed layups and blocked shots in the BC game. Ish also had one of his weaker games. Say what you want about BC, but they have some athletic players that disrupt many shots. Bassy is probably our best playmaker, but you can't have your starting point guard with those shooting numbers. I'm not sure if you watched the Cayman games, but Bassy looked ROUGH. Once we played some athletic teams, he had a very tough time gaining any separation on his man and didn't create scoring opportunities. I think Bassy is a very solid point guard against the low-major programs we played in our first few games, but we need Bray against the bigger and more athletic teams we've played recently. We don't have enough people that can score to justify starting a point guard that can't score. Play Bassy with EC and Jared, and he may make a bigger impact. We don't have that luxury right now.

Bassy's last four games
1.8 pts
1.3 ast
1.3 tov
16% from 3
33 FG%
0 FT%

Bray
17.8 pts
2.0 ast
2.0 tov
28% from 3
46 fg%
73 ft%
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
I saw a ton of missed layups and blocked shots in the BC game. Ish also had one of his weaker games. Say what you want about BC, but they have some athletic players that disrupt many shots. Bassy is probably our best playmaker, but you can't have your starting point guard with those shooting numbers. I'm not sure if you watched the Cayman games, but Bassy looked ROUGH. Once we played some athletic teams, he had a very tough time gaining any separation on his man and didn't create scoring opportunities. I think Bassy is a very solid point guard against the low-major programs we played in our first few games, but we need Bray against the bigger and more athletic teams we've played recently. We don't have enough people that can score to justify starting a point guard that can't score. Play Bassy with EC and Jared, and he may make a bigger impact. We don't have that luxury right now.

Bassy's last four games
1.8 pts
1.3 ast
1.3 tov
16% from 3
33 FG%
0 FT%

Bray
17.8 pts
2.0 ast
2.0 tov
28% from 3
46 fg%
73 ft%
Do you see Freeman as a point guard? Seems more of a shooting guard to me. Doesn’t look to pass much from what I’ve seen.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

From what I've seen so far. The top three keys are:

1.Make /take good shots
2.Limit T/Os
3. Rebound
1 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Bassy's last four games
1.8 pts
1.3 ast
1.3 tov
16% from 3
33 FG%
0 FT%

Bray
17.8 pts
2.0 ast
2.0 tov
28% from 3
46 fg%
73 ft%
Do you see Freeman as a point guard? Seems more of a shooting guard to me. Doesn’t look to pass much from what I’ve seen.
He averaged close to 4 apg last year as a Freshmen so being a playmaker is not foreign to him. Reality is on this team he does need to look for his own shot more bc there aren't a ton of guys ready to consistently score at this level.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Bassy's last four games
1.8 pts
1.3 ast
1.3 tov
16% from 3
33 FG%
0 FT%

Bray
17.8 pts
2.0 ast
2.0 tov
28% from 3
46 fg%
73 ft%
The job of the point guard isn't necessarily to defer to everyone else - it's to make the most efficient decision for the offense. For this team, that involves Freeman shooting plenty. Thomas' gaudy assist totals mask that he's a net negative on offense, mostly because of his shooting numbers. I'd also add that given Leggett's assist / passing numbers, I think he and Freeman work fine as a duo. They're not the reason we're losing games - It's getting practically zero consistent production from the 3, 4 and 5 spots from game to game.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Bassy's last four games
1.8 pts
1.3 ast
1.3 tov
16% from 3
33 FG%
0 FT%

Bray
17.8 pts
2.0 ast
2.0 tov
28% from 3
46 fg%
73 ft%
He averaged 3.7 ast on GW last year when he played with some scorers around him. That would lead our team this season. I wouldn't say he's a true point guard, but you're seeing Ish and Bray taking more shots because they have to. Bray set Malik up a few times for an easy layup. He had no lift, and his shot got blocked. Bray also had a pass to Samb or Bilau, where he drove and fed them for what should have been an easy catch and layup. They didn't catch it, and it was a turnover.

Bray may be best with a pass-first point guard next to him, but that point guard must have a minimum of below-average shooting numbers. You will not succeed in the A10 with Bassy's shooting numbers. He's already missed multiple key free throws this season. You expect that from your starting center, not your point guard. I love the kid's heart and wanted to give him a chance this year to see if that shot improved, but it looks the same to me.

Now that Bray is playing like the player we all thought we were getting, he and Ish will handle most of the minutes at the guard position. My guess is Bassy will stick around 15-18 minutes a game. We desperately need someone else to score the rock from the other 3 positions.

Bassy was our best player against PC last year. Maybe he'll go off and win the game for us tomorrow. That would be awesome.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I want Bray to take a lot of shots too. But I want them to be good shots. Too many prayers at the rim against the trees. Give me more floaters and jumpers from the lane. I wouldn't mind if it got him to the line more (he has 19 FTs compared to 51 for Ish).He is scoring now but his percentages are not good. 35% from the field and 26% from three. We need Carey back as a 3rd option and someone Bray can dish to when he can't see his own shot on a drive to the hoop.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Those percentages aren't awful when you consider he started 0-10. He's shot it at 41% over the last 4 games. Him and Ish are gonna have to be tough shot makers and at times hunt offense and prob take some ill advised shots. We simply don't have enough other options offensively at the present moment.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I want Bray to take a lot of shots too. But I want them to be good shots. Too many prayers at the rim against the trees. Give me more floaters and jumpers from the lane. I wouldn't mind if it got him to the line more (he has 19 FTs compared to 51 for Ish).He is scoring now but his percentages are not good. 35% from the field and 26% from three. We need Carey back as a 3rd option and someone Bray can dish to when he can't see his own shot on a drive to the hoop.
I consider it a chicken-and-egg kind of problem. Is Bray forcing too many shots because that's just the kind of player he is? Or, is he forcing shots because the other option is to like, give it to an even worse option for a shot? Like, I don't love contested jumpers in the lane or from 18-feet, but that's probably better than asking most of our wing players to create offense right now, or, swinging it to Thomas for an open 15-footer. (Xavier Munford would be another guy that Rhody's tenure featured this issue, with only a one-year sample size.)
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

Bassy's last four games
1.8 pts
1.3 ast
1.3 tov
16% from 3
33 FG%
0 FT%

Bray
17.8 pts
2.0 ast
2.0 tov
28% from 3
46 fg%
73 ft%
The job of the point guard isn't necessarily to defer to everyone else - it's to make the most efficient decision for the offense. For this team, that involves Freeman shooting plenty. Thomas' gaudy assist totals mask that he's a net negative on offense, mostly because of his shooting numbers. I'd also add that given Leggett's assist / passing numbers, I think he and Freeman work fine as a duo. They're not the reason we're losing games - It's getting practically zero consistent production from the 3, 4 and 5 spots from game to game.
Once upon a time we had a point guard named Jeff Dowtin who did exactly that. His first focus was setting up his teammates, but when that wasn't working he could run off nine or 10 points of his own. I'm going to stop this before my Italian Alzheimer's takes over.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I want Bray to take a lot of shots too. But I want them to be good shots. Too many prayers at the rim against the trees. Give me more floaters and jumpers from the lane. I wouldn't mind if it got him to the line more (he has 19 FTs compared to 51 for Ish).He is scoring now but his percentages are not good. 35% from the field and 26% from three. We need Carey back as a 3rd option and someone Bray can dish to when he can't see his own shot on a drive to the hoop.
I consider it a chicken-and-egg kind of problem. Is Bray forcing too many shots because that's just the kind of player he is? Or, is he forcing shots because the other option is to like, give it to an even worse option for a shot? Like, I don't love contested jumpers in the lane or from 18-feet, but that's probably better than asking most of our wing players to create offense right now, or, swinging it to Thomas for an open 15-footer. (Xavier Munford would be another guy that Rhody's tenure featured this issue, with only a one-year sample size.)
Option 1 - it’s the player he is - or at least was in the scrimmage and 1st few games.
When I first saw Freeman at the Scrimmage I was very disappointed based on all the hype I had heard about him here on KB. He was out of control, turning the ball over, not passing, wild shots. I said nothing just filed it away as just a scrimmage. Then the same look the first couple games. So it was too early to know the caliber of the players on the wing - it was simply poor play. Obviously the Coaching staff recognized it and things have turned for the better.

Is he a classic Point Guard? I’m not convinced. I’ll trust the Staff to make the best decisions for the team. The staff and Freeman himself deserve a lot of credit over the past few games. Put together the best of Leggett and Freeman and we have the potential for 2 All A10 Guards if they keep this up and potentially improve.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

I posted this link in the PC Board and received this response. I learned a lot about the team from this personally. I think it is objective too.

Thanks for sharing this with us! Bill and you put a lot of time packing some very good, objective information and perspectives into the podcast. Very impressive primer for fans of both sides.

Speaking for myself, many of your themes resonate for PC's outcome as well. Agreed that the side which settles in first to avoid a slow start could be at an advantage. We haven't excelled in this area recently, so it will definitely serve as a key for the Friars. I expect that Ed Cooley will do his absolute best to have the Friars motivated - up to the point of potentially mixing up the starting line (and at the very least, playing time), to ensure that our high energy players are on the floor.

Beyond the players that you've keyed on (Hopkins, Croswell and to a lesser extent, Bynum - who's off to a particularly slow start), URI fans will get a first glimpse at South Carolina transfer, Deven Carter who fits the Ed Cooley mold quite soundly; freshman guard Jayden Pierre, who is a great change of pace player who makes a lot happen; as well as freshman reserve forward Rafael Castro who's shown glimpses of being a springy, athletic freak.

One player whose PT and performance we'll be monitoring, is Noah Locke. This Florida & Louisville transfer had racked up 3-Pointers at an extremely impressive rate at his prior two school and came in as our projected sharpshooter. Early on, he's been struggling for whatever reason. If he does get going, his ability to spread out defenses and score from 3 could provide us with a big lift.

Having followed the rivalry for decades, I appreciate the fact that one can throw away the records of both teams heading into the game. I expect the Ryan Center to be "AMPed" (pun intended), which will make for an entertaining contest.

Thanks again for sharing this with us, and be sure to visit often for some good, two-way ribbing.

Friar82
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

In last games postgame show (or was it pregame?) the guys discussed just this 78 and how the staff needs (is already?) to work with him to be a more efficient scorer and avoid difficult shots.

Note: I also think that Bray and Ish- being our most reliable scorers- need to shoot as much as possible when there is no reliable 3rd or 4th option each particular game. Green light them til that happens and I am confident the staff will eventually develop balanced scoring this year or next year(hopefully not until next year).
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

so would you play them both most of the game?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Have we used all 3 (Bray, Ish, Bassy) in a three guard lineup yet?

I have only been able to watch the last game wire to wire and do not recall, off the top of my head - if we have.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Have we used all 3 (Bray, Ish, Bassy) in a three guard lineup yet?

I have only been able to watch the last game wire to wire and do not recall, off the top of my head - if we have.
Yes, the first 2 games.
If Bray was playing then like he is now, we would have won them fairly easily.

If we get more of an offensive contribution from our bigs, I wouldn't mind seeing that line-up.

I think the quickness and speed of all three can give us an advantage and offset the size issues.

Bassy needs to hit his FT's at a much higher percentage, if the ball stays in his hands.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

A final thought on my Bassy vs Bray PG post earlier today. I prefer Bassy starting halves and Bray finishing halves when taking fouls means taking FTs. Bassy hasn't convinced me that he is a dependable FT shooter so he shouldn't be on the court when opponent might intentionally foul. Bassy does a better job getting teammates the ball when they cam take good shots. Bray is a slasher a la Brian Woodward.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Have we used all 3 (Bray, Ish, Bassy) in a three guard lineup yet?

Yes, the first 2 games.
If Bray was playing then like he is now, we would have won them fairly easily.

If we get more of an offensive contribution from our bigs, I wouldn't mind seeing that line-up.

I think the quickness and speed of all three can give us an advantage an offset the size issues.

Bassy needs to hit his FT's at a much higher percentage, if the ball was to stay in his hands.
Thanks, Jersey. Good stuff. 👍🏼
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

There are two sides of the court. Issue with that lineup is that they are all smallish guards. 1 of them would be likely taking in a matchup nightmare against a lot of teams. Plus rebounding likely suffers.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Agree, BAR.

Just asking out of curiosity.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

There are two sides of the court. Issue with that lineup is that they are all smallish guards. 1 of them would be likely taking in a matchup nightmare against a lot of teams. Plus rebounding likely suffers.
Actually I don't consider Ish a smallish, guard.
He is listed at 6'3" and has a solid build.
He also goes to the rim very strong and is one of our best defenders.
Ish is also one of our leading rebounders averaging 6 per game.

Yeah Bray and Bassy are slighter, but they are very fast and can disrupt with their quick hands.

Again we would still need more of a contribution from our bigs.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think all 3 of them started the first game, didn't they?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Starting line up for Opening game for Miller (2nd half too) was:
Samb
Martin
Leggett
Thomas
Freeman
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

I think all 3 of them started the first game, didn't they?
I don’t recall, 78. It could be Italian Alzheimer’s affecting my memory as Red says when the brain farts come on (I think it’s Red who said it). :lol:
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Starting line up for Opening game for Miller (2nd hall too) was:
Samb
Martin
Leggett
Thomas
Freeman
Thanks, Ramster.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Limit unforced turnovers
Keep pc off offensive glass
Hit free throws
4 guys in double figures
Run run run. Need easy transition buckets.
Seems like a tall order from what we've seen so far..
Oh well.. Rhody Rhody Rhody.

🍻🏀
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rams, rams, rams…….the tallest order on that list is the four guys in double figs
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Limit turnovers
Rebound the ball
Have a 3rd scorer besides Ish and Bray
0 x