12/4 | Providence College | 5:00PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

12/4 | Providence College | 5:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Providence College
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Saturday, December 3, 2022
5:00PM

Media
TV: ESPNU
Online: ESPN Online
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network

Previews:
Providence College Fan Forum
Another Providence College Fan Forum

Well, well, well…look what game is up next on the Rams’ schedule. The University of Rhode Island will take on vaunted rivals Providence at home this coming Saturday. Like last year, I have Google alerts set just in case Ed Cooley chickens out of this game again like has in the past because you can never be too safe. So Rhody fans, don’t get your hopes up too high that this game will actually be played. The good news is that Rhody has a week to prepare for this weekend’s tilt while Providence travels to Fort Worth to take on a difficult TCU team Wednesday night.

Providence, who were picked to finish 5th out of 11 in the Big East, are basically a glorified A-10 team, with 3 of their top 6 leading scorers are former A10 players. Both big men Ed Croswell & Clifton Moore are La Salle transfers while starting point guard & assist leader (5.4) Jared Bynum is a St Joe’s transfer. The biggest matchup problem for Rhody is going to be Kentucky transfer Bryce Hopkins. This 6’7” forward is leading the Friars in both points & rebounds. Giving up offensive rebounds has been a problem all season for URI & sadly it will probably continue with Hopkins & Croswell. As I am sure most of us painfully remember, Croswell killed Rhody in last year’s game going for 13 & 15 off the bench. From behind the arc, URI will have to keep tabs on Florida/Louisville transfer Noah Locke. He has hoisted up twice as many as any other player besides Bynum. Rhody wants Bynum to shoot it as he is shooting at the time of this writing at less than 18% on the season. Thankfully Rhody has played solid 3 point defense over the last two games, holding their opponent to 12% shooting.

As for Rhode Island, they are desperate for anyone to step up not named Ish or Bray. Malik has shown some signs, but it seems he is either shooting 4-11 or pulling an 0-fer. Our bigs seemed like they were pushed around a bit against BC & struggle to make any offensive move in the post. This may continue against a bigger team like Providence. I don’t know if Carey will be back for this game, but Rhody could use his athleticism in this matchup. Carey has struggled keeping care of the ball though so he may be a bit rusty if he does play. The Rams must reduce the turnovers if they want to win, especially the unforced ones which just kill this team. What is in Rhody’s favor is that this game is at the Ryan Center. Against Providence, Rhody has won the last 2 home games and are winners of 6 of the last 9 in Kingston. Additionally, it seems like no matter the record of these two teams, it is always a battle. The crowd is the biggest thing going for URI in this game. As hard as this is to believe, no player for either team has played in this match-up at the Ryan Center, so get fucking loud & show them who owns the state!! On a personal note, I am bringing my 11-year-old to his first PC vs URI game. He has been to numerous home & away games but I specifically want him to hear how boisterous it can get in a packed Ryan Center. The game is at 5, so there is plenty of time to get hydrated. On a completely related note, Shaidzon opens at noon, so you know what to do!

Because of Rhody’s struggles, I am guessing Providence will be favored by a few points. I foresee the first half being a bit of a rock fight as the teams feel each other out & the gameday jitters subside & then a bit more scoring in the second half. Final score of this one will be 66-59 with Providence pulling it out. Ugggh, I just threw up in my mouth writing that out. Screw it, Rhody is going to win this one on Saturday for Don Kaull. Let’s win this one for the URI Hall of Famer who you know will be watching from high above courtside. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
5-2, 0-0 in the Big East
27-6, 14-3 in the Big East (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 24 (142)*
RPI: 255 (274)
KenPom: 75 (169)
BPI: 73 (231)
Sagarin: 93 (177)
Barttovik: 89 (178)
* Denotes last season

Leaders:
Points – Bryce Hopkins 14.3 (Soph., F)
Rebounds – Bryce Hopkins 8.3 (Soph., F)
Assists – Jared Bynum 5.4 (Sr., G) (1.1 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 58-75
H: 40-28, A: 17-44, N: 1-2
Most Recent Matchup: 12/4/21 66-52 L at Providence
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 - PC
Match-up Predictor: 31.0% Chance of URI Winning

Some final notes:
Hey Coach Cooley…who in your heart of hearts do you think will win this weekend’s rivalry game?

Some videos to get you excited for this weekend…

As a reminder, Providence students thought this video was a good idea to get their fellow students ready for the upcoming season...

Unsurprisingly they went 4-14 that year in the Big East that season.

7 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: 12/4 | Providence College | 5:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Great job, Spooky!

Damn, not another rock fight. I haven’t gotten over the bruises from the last one. Oooph!
1 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Gonna find out who the big game players are in this one. Keeping an eye on all the new guys to see how they respond to a packed RC.
2 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings says; their ranked #194, #13 A-10 URI Rams have 39% chance to beat their #95 ranked PC Friars.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

For this game and going forward - It'll be interesting to see how long Archie stays with playing Malik major minutes. He's at 30 MPG, but his PER is down to 8.8 - about half of what it was last year, and well off his *freshman* year mark. If he's attempting to play through an injury, he should probably be resting it instead. He's still (marginally) better by stats than the other options at the 3 and 4, but not so much so that he should be playing this much more.

According to Sports Reference, we're 336th in points scored per game and 335th in offensive rating per game, out of 363 teams, which probably doesn't surprise anyone here. Our defensive rating is a more reasonable 132nd. I think Archie is probably getting the best possible effort out of this team, since defense is usually a measure of effort, but man, we're hurting from a skills perspective right now.

Around a 15 is considered "average starter" by PER standards. Right now, we have one full-time player exceeding that (Leggett, 24.3!) and one part-time player there (Tchikou, 15.5). Freeman is probably at that standard too, if you split him into pre-benching and post-benching. Combine them together, and he's at 10.8 right now. Everyone else is either shooting too poorly, or committing too many turnovers, to be contributing much positive value overall. Hopefully, some players can start stringing together a couple positive games.

All that being said... I'm trying to keep this excellent post by Stevey in mind, since he did the legwork on the stats. You can find positive stats and rates to point at in most of our younger players, and while I doubt ALL of them are going to pan out - nobody's recruits pan out 100 percent - I'm positive at least 2 or 3 regulars are going to emerge from the morass of the back end of our current roster. I think everyone has shown flashes of talent, which is more than I can say for some of the leaner Baron years.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Phenomenal write up.

It's a rivalry - throw it all out. Neither of us have looked really good this year.

Big defensive X factor is going to be Lou Hutch. I'm assuming he'll draw Hopkins. He did a great job stopping Keyonte Johnson when he was on him in Cayman.

You'll need Ish/Bray to get a majority of your points - but PC will be keying on them. This game will come down to who else steps up. We know who we need to stop. They know who they need to stop.

IS IT SATURDAY YET
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

There's not 1 player on either team that will have experienced PC vs URI at the Ryan Center, right?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago There's not 1 player on either team that will have experienced PC vs URI at the Ryan Center, right?
I believe that's correct.

Only two players on each team have played in the game.

Leggett and Martin for us. Carey was injured for it last year.
1 x
Go Rhody
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago There's not 1 player on either team that will have experienced PC vs URI at the Ryan Center, right?

How many total players (URI & PC) have ever played in a URI/PC game, forget at the RC?
0 x
:lol:
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago For this game and going forward - It'll be interesting to see how long Archie stays with playing Malik major minutes. He's at 30 MPG, but his PER is down to 8.8 - about half of what it was last year, and well off his *freshman* year mark. If he's attempting to play through an injury, he should probably be resting it instead. He's still (marginally) better by stats than the other options at the 3 and 4, but not so much so that he should be playing this much more.

According to Sports Reference, we're 336th in points scored per game and 335th in offensive rating per game, out of 363 teams, which probably doesn't surprise anyone here. Our defensive rating is a more reasonable 132nd. I think Archie is probably getting the best possible effort out of this team, since defense is usually a measure of effort, but man, we're hurting from a skills perspective right now.

Around a 15 is considered "average starter" by PER standards. Right now, we have one full-time player exceeding that (Leggett, 24.3!) and one part-time player there (Tchikou, 15.5). Freeman is probably at that standard too, if you split him into pre-benching and post-benching. Combine them together, and he's at 10.8 right now. Everyone else is either shooting too poorly, or committing too many turnovers, to be contributing much positive value overall. Hopefully, some players can start stringing together a couple positive games.

All that being said... I'm trying to keep this excellent post by Stevey in mind, since he did the legwork on the stats. You can find positive stats and rates to point at in most of our younger players, and while I doubt ALL of them are going to pan out - nobody's recruits pan out 100 percent - I'm positive at least 2 or 3 regulars are going to emerge from the morass of the back end of our current roster. I think everyone has shown flashes of talent, which is more than I can say for some of the leaner Baron years.
Excellent KB insights and stats presentation. Basketball edification is one of the many enjoyable aspects here.

I agree on Malik and backing off his 30 MPG. He appears a bit slow to me. Also, I didn’t see good lift or explosion from him yesterday - but, I was watching him for the first time yesterday so I am going off last season memory versus games this year, fwiw.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

We are desperate to find a reliable third scorer. I am hopeful the Brandon Weston coming out party happens soon.
2 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

The write-up has some good information like...
As hard as this is to believe, no player for either team has played in this match-up at the Ryan Center

1 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
spookydog
Tom Garrick

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago

How many total players (URI & PC) have ever played in a URI/PC game, forget at the RC?
URI has 3
Ish, Martin & Thomas (Carey was hurt)

PC has 2
Breed & Croswell (Bynum was hurt - Fonts & O'Haire DNP)
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote: 1 year ago

URI has 3

PC has 2
I had posted this on the “10 items to beat PC” thread......

Minutes played in Last year’s game:

URI
32-Leggett
28-Martin
13-Thomas
73 minutes from returnees

PC
25-Breed
22-Croswell
47 minutes from returnees

We have 3 roster returnees to PC 2 roster returnees. Our 3 returnees played 73 minutes while PC’s 2 returnees played 47 minutes
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

spookydog wrote: 1 year ago

URI has 3

PC has 2
appreciate that.

tough to call that a rivalry. to the other 23 players, it's just another game.

bring the heat, make sure they (both sides) hear you, make the RC a difficult place to play, get the win. Then maybe we can call it a rivalry next season.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago We are desperate to find a reliable third scorer. I am hopeful the Brandon Weston coming out party happens soon.
For the older folks Brandon Weston reminds me of a Johnny Evans Andre Samuel type player
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago We are desperate to find a reliable third scorer. I am hopeful the Brandon Weston coming out party happens soon.
For the older folks Brandon Weston reminds me of a Johnny Evans Andre Samuel type player
Reminds me of another former Top 100 transfer, Andre Malone.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I think for us to even have a chance our bigs really need to step up and contribute.
In addition, we need to take care of the ball, finish, and hit our shots.
Probably asking a lot considering what we have seen so far.

Yes playing at home in the RC does help, but I don't think it will intimidate the PC players.
Croswell, Bynum. and Breed all played in the Sweet 16.
Hopkins, Locke, and Carter all from the P5 (Kentucky, Louisville, S. Carolina)
So they are all used to playing on a big stage in tough environments.

Yes upsets do happen so there is a chance.
A win here can build our confidence and help set the tone for the rest of the season.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Team Rankings says; their ranked #194, #13 A-10 URI Rams have 39% chance to beat their #95 ranked PC Friars.
Team Rankings also has their 2-5 Villanova at #63. Doesn't seem like a good site to quote. I know RPI is not a thing anymore, but Villanova has an RPI of 280. And Providence has an RPI of 255.
Last edited by theblueram 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I think for us to even have a chance our bigs really need to step up and contribute.
Our bigs did not show up at BC. Not even our forward/wings. The bigs seemed to be rushing the in close finishes and put backs. And Martin is just not able to protect the ball on layups. He continuously has an enormous amount of shots blocked. Weston and Hutch never got confident in their offense. Hopefully we can get a few loosened up for PC. PC is not playing great yet, but without some help from the front court, it could get ugly. Here's hoping that our bigs settle down and our wings play with some confidence.

Go Rhody!
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Without Carey we will have trouble scoring enough points to stay with the Fairies. Hopefully Archie is throwing them off with his comment about Carey not being available for a while and he plays Saturday.

Don't know what Malik's issue is but he has been blocked ar the rim 5 or 6 times in the last two to three games. I think he. needs to. be in double figures for us to have a chance vs the Fairies.

And let's not forget: FTF FTF FTF FTF FTF
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 1 year ago Without Carey we will have trouble scoring enough points to stay with the Fairies. Hopefully Archie is throwing them off with his comment about Carey not being available for a while and he plays Saturday.

Don't know what Malik's issue is but he has been blocked ar the rim 5 or 6 times in the last two to three games. I think he. needs to. be in double figures for us to have a chance vs the Fairies.

And let's not forget: FTF FTF FTF FTF FTF
Just a guess but maybe Malik has been a little limited by his recent ankle injury.
I am used to seeing him go a little stronger to the rim, especially on some of those blocks underneath.

Has anything been disclosed on the extent of Carey's injury?
I know it was previously discussed that he had issues with his hip.
0 x
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

Does a tailgate section exist in the parking lot for basketball games?
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

bwerner10 wrote: 1 year ago Does a tailgate section exist in the parking lot for basketball games?
I wish
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bwerner10 wrote: 1 year ago Does a tailgate section exist in the parking lot for basketball games?
Not that I know of, however I'm not sure there would be anyone in the parking lot to stop you....
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I remember a few years back some of you guys had a pre-game 'get together' with a grill and some beers. Or did I dream this?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I remember a few years back some of you guys had a pre-game 'get together' with a grill and some beers. Or did I dream this?
The Valparaiso morning game
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I remember a few years back some of you guys had a pre-game 'get together' with a grill and some beers. Or did I dream this?
Hah. That was the 10am game against Valpo that was the first game on ESPN to kick off the season. Blue Man had his grill and was cooking up breakfast. Thorr showed up. It was a blast.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think we need a tailgate for this pc game!!!!!!!!!!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Pre game at Richards is always fun.

Keep turnovers under 12 and find 1 other scorer beyond Ish and Bray and we can very much play with the Friars. They have flaws and it’s good to get them early in the year. I wouldn’t have said this two weeks ago but I think we have the better back court. Losing Durham left a huge void. But they carry a big advantage up front and Hopkins will be the best player on the floor by a good margin.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Hah. That was the 10am game against Valpo that was the first game on ESPN to kick off the season. Blue Man had his grill and was cooking up breakfast. Thorr showed up. It was a blast.
Would absolutely love if ESPN brought back the 24 hour tip off marathon.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Never tailgated outside for basketball but TwoTen is always a good spot.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Pre game at Richards is always fun.

Keep turnovers under 12 and find 1 other scorer beyond Ish and Bray and we can very much play with the Friars. They have flaws and it’s good to get them early in the year. I wouldn’t have said this two weeks ago but I think we have the better back court. Losing Durham left a huge void. But they carry a big advantage up front and Hopkins will be the best player on the floor by a good margin.
BAR, I think your backcourt comparison is a reach.

Yes Ish has been playing well so far, but it is still very early.
Last season most here wanted to write him off and figured he would be gone.
I was always an Ish fan but let's see if he can sustain this early season success.

Bray has just started to come on after a miserable 3 game start.
Again let's see how things go and yeah their #'s are currently good, but they are our only scoring options for now.
The 2 of them combined for about 42% of all the shots taken from our entire team and that is with Bray missing a game.

Now look at PC:
Jared Bynum - Last season was named 2nd team All-BE averaged 12 pts/4 assists. This season also scoring double digits and 5 assists. As a freshman at St. Joes started every game and averaged 11 pts and led the team in assists.

Noah Locke- Solid player who started at Florida and Louisville and averaged over 10 pts. and 38% 3 pt.
Also averaging about 11 pts this season. He was a 4* top 100 recruit.

Devin Carter - Also a 4* top 100 recruit. Nice freshman season at S. Carolina averaged 9 pts/ 4 rebs.
This season so far averaging 10 pts 46% FG.

Again, how do you compare the strength of the A10 to the P6?

Look I hope Ish and Bray can both become all conference players but at this time I can't really say our backcourt is better.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I think we need a tailgate for this pc game!!!!!!!!!!
We are trying to fill up Back 40 pregame so those fools from up north dont take over the place!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

I was always an Ish fan but let's see if he can sustain this early season success.

Again let's see how things go and yeah their #'s are currently good, but they are our only scoring options for now.
The 2 of them combined for about 42% of all the shots taken from our entire team and that is with Bray missing a game.

Now look at PC:
Jared Bynum - Last season was named 2nd team All-BE averaged 12 pts/4 assists. This season also scoring double digits and 5 assists. As a freshman at St. Joes started every game and averaged 11 pts and led the team in assists.

Noah Locke- Solid player who started at Florida and Louisville and averaged over 10 pts. and 38% 3 pt.

Devin Carter - Also a 4* top 100 recruit. Nice freshman season at S. Carolina averaged 9 pts/ 4 rebs.

Look I hope Ish and Bray can both become all conference players but at this time I can't really say our backcourt is better.
We’ll see on Saturday. Bynum hasn’t looked particularly good at being the alpha and facilitator with Durham graduated. He shooting sub 40 from field and sub 20 from 3. Locke can shoot it but doesn’t do much else. I like Carter but he’s more of a Swiss Army knife type. If Ish and Bray are going like they have last few games I think they have the potential to be the more dynamic back court.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Now look at PC:

We’ll see on Saturday. Bynum hasn’t looked particularly good at being the alpha and facilitator with Durham graduated. He shooting sub 40 from field and sub 20 from 3. Locke can shoot it but doesn’t do much else. I like Carter but he’s more of a Swiss Army knife type. If Ish and Bray are going like they have last few games I think they have the potential to be the more dynamic back court.
Also BAR consider the depth at guard.
How would you compare Bassy to those 3 at PC.

Providence also has Breed averaging 14.5 minutes.
Plus, freshman Pierre and Floyd both 4* recruits.

Let's just hope that Ish and Bray both stay out of foul trouble and avoid injury.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Is there any reason to be hopeful that Brandon will be healthy any time this year? The more he plays injured, the more concerned I am about him playing healthy this season. The BC game gave us reason to be concerned about Ish. We need offense other than Brayon playing like Fatts II.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I think we need a tailgate for this pc game!!!!!!!!!!
We are trying to fill up Back 40 pregame so those fools from up north dont take over the place!
They can have Back 40 if they leave the Mews alone!
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Maybe I missed it somewhere else, but what is the ticket distribution % for this game? Is it like 90% URI tickets, 10% PC?

Just curious...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PatheticFriars
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PatheticFriars »

Did anyone see this Koch tweet? Read backwards, is this a shot at Hurley? Either way this is interesting
0 x
"The Bible never says anything about dinosaurs" - Jurassic Carl
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago Maybe I missed it somewhere else, but what is the ticket distribution % for this game? Is it like 90% URI tickets, 10% PC?

Just curious...
I don't recall there being a percentage. I think both schools allot the same number of tickets to each other - something in the range of 400-600. This works out to roughly about 6.5% of the Ryan Center and 4% of the AMP. These fans are typically seated in just a few sections. The rest of the opposing team fans at the game got tickets in some other manner. They bought them on their own (in recent years this game had to be part of a multi game ticket package) or off someone who had tickets. Many years ago when PC did not have as large a season ticket base, many more URI fans were able to purchase tickets on their own given the Providence venue was fairly large (12,400). Their presence was evident in the building. This however did not translate over to the Ryan Center for Friar fans and it irked them. It however was mostly due to the Ryan Center being a much smaller venue with nearly 5,000 less seats. With PC in recent years regularly making the tournament resulting in higher number of season tickets, the availability for URI fans to buy tickets to the game in Providence has become much more difficult. The attendance today at this annual game is very much more tilted to the home team which controls ticket distribution.

The old days back when both teams played home games at the PCC featured games that had the bands, cheerleaders, mascot, and a high percentage of fans for both schools. They are now a thing of the past that are not likely to return.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PatheticFriars wrote: 1 year ago

Did anyone see this Koch tweet? Read backwards, is this a shot at Hurley? Either way this is interesting
I don't think it's a shot at anyone. I think anyone with a brain knew Cooley felt this way all along and played it up as "not a rivalry" to get under the skin of our fanbase.

I think it's more a commentary on Arch and Cooley's friendship that he doesn't want to insult Arch by insulting the game.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
PatheticFriars
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PatheticFriars »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

I don't think it's a shot at anyone. I think anyone with a brain knew Cooley felt this way all along and played it up as "not a rivalry" to get under the skin of our fanbase.

I think it's more a commentary on Arch and Cooley's friendship that he doesn't want to insult Arch by insulting the game.
Yeah, I'm not trying to argue Cooley never thought this was a rivalry game. Just why admit it now?
0 x
"The Bible never says anything about dinosaurs" - Jurassic Carl
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah, I'm not trying to argue Cooley never thought this was a rivalry game. Just why admit it now?
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago Maybe I missed it somewhere else, but what is the ticket distribution % for this game? Is it like 90% URI tickets, 10% PC?

Just curious...
I don't recall there being a percentage. I think both schools allot the same number of tickets to each other - something in the range of 400-600. This works out to roughly about 6.5% of the Ryan Center and 4% of the AMP. These fans are typically seated in just a few sections. The rest of the opposing team fans at the game got tickets in some other manner. They bought them on their own (in recent years this game had to be part of a multi game ticket package) or off someone who had tickets. Many years ago when PC did not have as large a season ticket base, many more URI fans were able to purchase tickets on their own given the Providence venue was fairly large (12,400). Their presence was evident in the building. This however did not translate over to the Ryan Center for Friar fans and it irked them. It however was mostly due to the Ryan Center being a much smaller venue with nearly 5,000 less seats. With PC in recent years regularly making the tournament resulting in higher number of season tickets, the availability for URI fans to buy tickets to the game in Providence has become much more difficult. The attendance today at this annual game is very much more tilted to the home team which controls ticket distribution.

The old days back when both teams played home games at the PCC featured games that had the bands, cheerleaders, mascot, and a high percentage of fans for both schools. They are now a thing of the past that are not likely to return.
Makes sense. Yeah we are not going to get the more balanced fan attendance again. Those were the days!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Just curious...

While true, I also don't recall all the ticket gimmicks until the last few years (both schools do it, so not unique to either). What I mean by that is I don't remember all the "season ticket can purchase __ tickets" campaigns. So you have the season ticket tickets, the mini-plan tickets, the season ticket extra ticket purchase period, and then I feel like there is one more push for all before tickets even make it to the general public a few weeks before the game. Before I remember it being a free-for-all for anyone who didn't have season/mini-game tickets.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago

Just curious...

While true, I also don't recall all the ticket gimmicks until the last few years (both schools do it, so not unique to either). What I mean by that is I don't remember all the "season ticket can purchase __ tickets" campaigns. So you have the season ticket tickets, the mini-plan tickets, the season ticket extra ticket purchase period, and then I feel like there is one more push for all before tickets even make it to the general public a few weeks before the game. Before I remember it being a free-for-all for anyone who didn't have season/mini-game tickets.
it's good, smart business. sell the thing out before general tix go on sale. see taylor swift for advice... no, not our taylor swift.

oh, you didn't get tickets for the biggest in state bball game ever??? better get your seasons or mini pack for next year so you get first dibs on pc/uri tickets. you can bring your friends, family, coworkers, ect. don't ever have to worry about being shutout again.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea, I have zero problem with how both schools handle tickets to this game.

I would do it the same exact way. Collect the ticket revenue as best you can.
1 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Limited ticket release, starting Wednesday, 10am, on line only.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

LIMITED GAME TICKETS ARE TO BE RELEASED FOR THE
RHODE ISLAND VS. PROVIDENCE COLLEGE GAME
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 3, 2022 5:00 PM

LIMITED TICKET RELEASE - WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2022 10AM

An extremely limited amount of single-game URI vs Providence College game tickets will be released for general sale tomorrow Wednesday, November 30th at 10:00 am ONLINE ONLY.

Fans wishing to purchase single-game tickets must click the link below to purchase tickets online. Please note seats are extremely limited and most seats are located in the upper levels of the arena. Supplies will not last so do not delay.

Thank you and Go Rhody!
0 x