'19 Anthony Harris (UNC ---> URI ---> St. Thomas JC)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Anthony Harris (UNC —>> URI)

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Ya, until Ant is on campus, I still have doubts. If he comes, that would be a huge win for this team. He would instantly be our 2nd best guard
Raw skill set wise? Sure you could argue that.

But he hasn't played organized basketball in a full year, and has no reps with our team. Will be interesting how soon he gets thrust into action if he makes it here. Likely just a factor of how the team is doing
Our backcourt is very weak. We will need to see what type of impact Carey makes.... If Ant Harris isn't better than Ish and Bassy, then he isn't worth all this trouble. I know this. There is zero chance Ish and Bassy would get any minutes at UNC. Ant did. Before we discovered that he wouldn't play right away, the reports were that Ant Bray and Weston would make the most significant impact out of the newcomers. He'll need time to regain his groove, but he'll be an upgrade.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Ya, until Ant is on campus, I still have doubts. If he comes, that would be a huge win for this team. He would instantly be our 2nd best guard
Stevey,
Am I to assume you think our best guard is Freeman? not Weston?
Bray is the best guard by a mile. I don't view Weston as a guard. I view him as a wing.... Especially after seeing him play at the scrimmage.
But stevey, isn’t a wing a guard? Westin is in the mold of EC Mathews and Jared Terrell who were both Guards (or wings). Jeff Dowtin played the wing (unfortunately after Cox gave the keys to Russell)

Anyway, that is why I asked the question.

I know it was only a 20 minute scrimmage but I thought Weston was our best player - that day.
Freeman looked good but to be honest from that one scrimmage I came away thinking Weston has the most potential to be a star on this team. Most talk here has raved about Freeman but don’t sleep on Weston imho. I know you are high on Westin too.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Stevey,
Bray is the best guard by a mile. I don't view Weston as a guard. I view him as a wing.... Especially after seeing him play at the scrimmage.
But stevey, isn’t a wing a guard? Westin is in the mold of EC Mathews and Jared Terrell who were both Guards (or wings). Jeff Dowtin played the wing (unfortunately after Cox gave the keys to Russell)

I know it was only a 20 minute scrimmage but I thought Weston was our best player - that day.
Freeman looked good but to be honest from that one scrimmage I came away thinking Weston has the most potential to be a star on this team. Most talk here has raved about Freeman but don’t sleep on Weston imho. I know you are high on Westin too.
Using different terms, is he a 2 or a 3, 2 being a SG and 3 being a SF. I think he'll play both roles. Then again, positionless basketball...so putting someone into a defining number is a lot different than what it used to be.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Using different terms, is he a 2 or a 3, 2 being a SG and 3 being a SF. I think he'll play both roles. Then again, positionless basketball...so putting someone into a defining number is a lot different than what it used to be.
I just go by how Archie lists them on his Roster, but I can certainly understand Stevey's explanation. That's why I asked him the question.

From the URI Official Roster

Center
Foumena

Forward
Samb
Stewart
Bilau
Tchikou

Guard/Forward
Hutchinson

Guard
Freeman
Thomas
Carey
Leggett
Martin
Weston
Pierre
Ball
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I just go by how Archie lists them on his Roster, but I can certainly understand Stevey's explanation. That's why I asked him the question.

From the URI Official Roster

Center
Foumena

Forward
Samb
Stewart
Bilau
Tchikou

Guard/Forward
Hutchinson

Guard
Freeman
Thomas
Carey
Leggett
Martin
Weston
Pierre
Ball
Then we have zero centers.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I am used to the number system, myself. Probably generational for me. Anyway, I see Weston and Martin as 2’s and 3’s - Which also is a wing type player for me when I was playing. I think maybe even Carey can be a 2 & 3 on this particular team and based on his athleticism and the number of guards on the roster.

However, I agree that we are more in the era of position-less bb so, numbers don’t mean as much.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Stevey,

Ya, I really don't care what we label him as... I view him, Malik, and Hutch as our wings right now.. Can he play the 2 guard? Sure. Can a 2 guard play the wing? Yes, of course... As Billy said, it's basically positionless basketball nowadays.

I think it depends on the player. I personally think Weston's natural position is as an SF. I don't think he plays like EC or Terrell. I would say he reminded me of a smaller WIll Daniels. Will could hit the 3, post up, slash... A wing is typically a little bit bigger, stronger, and more versatile. They tend to slash more. They tend to play at the elbow and post up more. That's what I saw Weston do at the scrimmage.

Bray and Weston are the top two pieces on this team right now..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think basketball is moving back to a "position" sport. Just look at the Celtics, its almost by the book 1-5. I think college teams are using bigs more again, therefore your 1,2 and 5 are essential. The 3-4 have always been interchangeable. I think this team has that, but Martin at the 4 is small. Once everyone is healthy, I think a bigger body is moved there. Or there's multiple lineups, big, and small/fast.
0 x
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I think basketball is moving back to a "position" sport. Just look at the Celtics, its almost by the book 1-5. I think college teams are using bigs more again, therefore your 1,2 and 5 are essential. The 3-4 have always been interchangeable. I think this team has that, but Martin at the 4 is small. Once everyone is healthy, I think a bigger body is moved there. Or there's multiple lineups, big, and small/fast.
Don’t want to get too off track of this thread here, but just had to quickly say that couldn’t be further from the truth (Celtics)

Their starting lineup is 2 PGs, a SG, a SF and a PF. And all those guys can play different positions 1 - 5
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I think basketball is moving back to a "position" sport. Just look at the Celtics, its almost by the book 1-5. I think college teams are using bigs more again, therefore your 1,2 and 5 are essential. The 3-4 have always been interchangeable. I think this team has that, but Martin at the 4 is small. Once everyone is healthy, I think a bigger body is moved there. Or there's multiple lineups, big, and small/fast.
Don’t want to get too off track of this thread here, but just had to quickly say that couldn’t be further from the truth (Celtics)

Their starting lineup is 2 PGs, a SG, a SF and a PF. And all those guys can play different positions 1 - 5
I don’t want to get off track either but

When healthy it’s definitely a position team.

Smart -point 6’4
Brown SG 6’6
Tatum SF 6’8
Hortford PF 6’9
Rob Williams C 6’9
0 x
GO RAMS
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

1 x
Common sense is not common.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I was told yesterday that Ant will likely redshirt and play for us next year.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I was told yesterday that Ant will likely redshirt and play for us next year.
Yes, that would make the most sense.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Need to get this player eligible, if only to keep attendance steady.

Team shows zero firepower thus far.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Maybe I’m pessimistic (probably) but I don’t see Harris ever suiting you for Rhody.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

STC wrote: 1 year ago Maybe I’m pessimistic (probably) but I don’t see Harris ever suiting you for Rhody.
I think he will. We will get him for one year next season, which will be good. Especially if Bray transfers. I already hear rumblings about that.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 1 year ago Maybe I’m pessimistic (probably) but I don’t see Harris ever suiting you for Rhody.
I think he will. We will get him for one year next season, which will be good. Especially if Bray transfers. I already hear rumblings about that.
I guess we will see as this season plays out.

Either way, we should be fine, I really like both our guard recruits Cam and Dubs.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

if Bray is really “thinking” about transferring after 2 games, ——. Oh forgot he is a gen z.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Need to get this player eligible, if only to keep attendance steady.

...Anthony Harris is going to get people in the building? Interesting logic there.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Need to get this player eligible, if only to keep attendance steady.

...Anthony Harris is going to get people in the building? Interesting logic there.
As posted by Stevey earlier, if Ant does come 2nd semester he will sit out.
Which is exactly what should happen.
First off, he needs to adjust academically to URI from JUCO.
Then get in condition, learn Archie's system, and mesh with his new teammates.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ant is 22 years old now. I just don't see him coming here as to play one season as a 23 year old. That's not how Archie wants to build the team.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Ant is 22 years old now. I just don't see him coming here as to play one season as a 23 year old. That's not how Archie wants to build the team.
It's two games, so this can change. Looking at next year...Right now, we have one guard that can make a real impact. Ish.

Bassy has been ok, but his shooting is terrible.

Carey will be gone, and it's not like he's made any jump. He looks the same to me..

Bray will leave unless we play him all the minutes he and Rhody Vault thinks he deserves.

I am very high on Connor and Cam, but we can't expect them to play serious minutes in their first year.

I think we need a veteran guard next year. If it's not Ant, then someone else.

Our frontcourt looks very promising right now. Our backcourt doesn't.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Ant is 22 years old now. I just don't see him coming here as to play one season as a 23 year old. That's not how Archie wants to build the team.
Not everything goes according to plan. I think Archie was originally hoping he would practice with the team this summer and be eligible this fall.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's two games, so this can change. Looking at next year...Right now, we have one guard that can make a real impact. Ish.

Carey will be gone, and it's not like he's made any jump. He looks the same to me..

Bray will leave unless we play him all the minutes he and Rhody Vault thinks he deserves.

I am very high on Connor and Cam, but we can't expect them to play serious minutes in their first year.

It doesn't look like we're going to be very good next year either. Wouldn't we rather develop the young guys who we hope are building blocks for the future than to have a 1 year stop gap guy?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bray will leave unless we play him all the minutes he and Rhody Vault thinks he deserves. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It doesn't look like we're going to be very good next year either. Wouldn't we rather develop the young guys who we hope are building blocks for the future than to have a 1 year stop gap guy?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

come on.. now we are onto next year not being very good

a lot of things can change in a year

stay positive people.. we are in great hands

i mean. i am not picking a fight or anything.. we jsut need to change the mindset here and trust in archie..
we really have a great coach and he will get it together sooner than later
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago

i mean. i am not picking a fight or anything.. we jsut need to change the mindset here and trust in archie..
Elm, I'm gonna be honest. You responding that I have to stay positive to every post I have that isn't all sunshine and rainbows is getting really annoying....I'm going to discuss this team how I want to. If Billyboy and I want to discuss what we think our guards and team will look like next year, we can. This is a thread about Ant Harris. Who likely isn't playing this year. So it makes sense that we will discuss what next year looks like because that's when he may play.

No one has lost trust in Archie.. We are well aware it's early in the season which is why in my first sentence I wrote it's two games in and things can change.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Still think we’ll be competing for a Top 4 A10 seed and tournament birth?
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It's also not helpful, even if it's just shtick, to downplay how far we have to go to get to the top of A10 again.
The "we are going to the NCAAs this year" BS clearly had some believers and now these same ppl are freaking out bc we are 0-2. And you are like have faith, Archie is a great coach. Gee wonder why some ppl had delusional expectations this year?

Meanwhile many of us realized how big a hill there is to climb and tried to downplay expectations and now aren't all that surprised at the results.
It doesn't do us any favors to falsely pump up hopes even if it is part of a shtick.
5 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago It's also not helpful, even if it's just shtick, to downplay how far we have to go to get to the top of A10 again.
The "we are going to the NCAAs this year" BS clearly had some believers and now these same ppl are freaking out bc we are 0-2. And you are like have faith, Archie is a great coach. Gee wonder why some ppl had delusional expectations this year?

Meanwhile many of us realized how big a hill there is to climb and tried to downplay expectations and now aren't all that surprised at the results.
It doesn't do us any favors to falsely pump up hopes even if it is part of a shtick.
This is what I was afraid of.

https://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?p=526715#p526715
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

yes i do

to be clear i stated the a10 tourney

i stand by it 100%

if i am wrong then i am wrong

no biggie
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

yes i do

to be clear i stated the a10 tourney

i stand by it 100%

if i am wrong then i am wrong

no biggie
Nope, you said a chance at the NCAAs. Go back and look.

Everybody makes the A10 tournament.
0 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

relax my friend - i don't need to look

top 4 in the a10 tourney w/a chance for the ncaa is what i said
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago It's also not helpful, even if it's just shtick, to downplay how far we have to go to get to the top of A10 again.

Hope you don't lose sleep over that. Put overly optimistic posters in Timeout?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago relax my friend - i don't need to look

Still only OCC Games. A10 is a long way from starting. Keep the faith ECR
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

<smh>
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

they got the wrong man if they think i ever throw in the towel

the difference is the coach.. and i believe in him vs Cox

GO RHODY !
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

they got the wrong man if they think i ever throw in the towel

the difference is the coach.. and i believe in him vs Cox

GO RHODY !
It's only been 2 games. Long way to go. This team will get better as the season moves along. The train has left the station.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Lol. What? Are you OK?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Back on topic… I take news from RV with a grain of salt. Did Archie actually say anything like this recently?

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago Back on topic… I take news from RV with a grain of salt. Did Archie actually say anything like this recently?

Bill Koch tweeted some quotes from Miller’s postgame talk. None mentioned Harris. If Miller did mention him Koch would’ve reported it. Maybe RV was thinking about his previous comments
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The only thing I remember hearing is that they hope Harris will be available at the conclusion of the first semester. This seems like RhodyVault building a strawman so that way if Harris doesn't come after first semester he has another chance to shit on Archie
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago The only thing I remember hearing is that they hope Harris will be available at the conclusion of the first semester. This seems like RhodyVault building a strawman so that way if Harris doesn't come after first semester he has another chance to shit on Archie
My thoughts exactly.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago The only thing I remember hearing is that they hope Harris will be available at the conclusion of the first semester. This seems like RhodyVault building a strawman so that way if Harris doesn't come after first semester he has another chance to shit on Archie
Rhody vault is just a closeted Bryant fan
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago Back on topic… I take news from RV with a grain of salt. Did Archie actually say anything like this recently?

Another dig @ Arch a late lapse of defense after a time out makes it seems like he coached them up bad !!

Come on RV !!
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Didn’t see this mentioned anywhere else, so definitely taking it with a grain of salt

That being said, would be a welcomed addition to our backcourt. Severely lacking a 3rd guard behind Bray and Ish (especially with Carey out for the foreseeable future)
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

my goodness

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Harris would be yougeeee for us. Rhody Vault should rename himself Grasso Vault.
0 x
GO RAMS
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

His track record speaks for itself. I don't believe any garbage that comes out of his mouth till it happens. There's a reason boss man won't talk to him. If you call him out, he just blocks you.

Child in my opinion. Stick to the videos and keep your day job.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody vault is just a closeted Bryant fan
No - Rhody Vault is a Rhody Vault fan. He'll blow whoever gives him an interview and the time of day.

He got some ex players to give him some soundbytes so he took up the mantle to get them recognized. But instead of working with the program, he just shouted about how bad URI was at honoring their past. Not wrong - but not the way you go about building a working relationship. So he started his journey by creating a larger divide between URI and the ex players instead of building a bridge.

Then for whatever reason, he tries to become a media personality but goes too aggressive to try and get scoops. There's like 5 reporters around the program who've worked this beat for a while. Trying to jump them all in line to become some type of trusted advisor isn't a great way to go about it.

Then, to stake your reputation and connections on a strawman guess at where Tre Mitchell is going to wind up, while not actually knowing, for a new program and staff that doesn't like anyone to know what they're doing, is a wild move.

This is why you want someone like Bill Koch working the beat, not having an agenda or anything but just reporting unemotional facts about the happenings around your program.

Vault is very clearly ballwashing the people and programs who talk to him, and taking potshots at the people who don't.

Pretty sad because he represents a necessary and important piece of our history, and even though we're finally starting to honor our past - he's put an awkward divide between those players needing the honoring, and the athletic department/program that they need to be honored by.

Check the ego and act like a reporter, or go back to the (seriously) top-notch interviews and subjects that bring our hoops past to life. But the current way is a tough road to go down for someone who is purportedly a fan.
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL