Top 10 Keys to a Rhody Win over PC

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Top 10 Keys to a Rhody Win over PC

Unread post by sbrand »

I don't want to look past BC but I am doing a podcast with William Georghegan of the Independant and came up with a few keys for URI to win which include:

1. Cutting down Turnovers
2. Making the FT's
3. Isolating Jared Bynum to take him out of the game
4. Don't let role players hurt you too much i.e. Noah Locke
5. Keep the game close and let the Ryan Center be your true sixth man off the bench
6. Two of the newcomers need to have big games whether its Rory Stewart, Lou Hutchinson, Frenchy, Abdou Samb, Brandon Weston, Josaphat Bilau etc.
7. Need to shoot in the 30s from 3 and 40s from 2 at the very least
8. Keep the bigs out of the lane to allow Ish and Bray to take it to the hole.
9. Maintain composure when playing behind
10. Be aware of Ed Croswell (He had a big game against the Rams last season).

Any of your thoughts.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Top 10 Keys to a Rhody Win over PC

Unread post by Jersey77 »

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago I don't want to look past BC but I am doing a podcast with William Georghegan of the Independant and came up with a few keys for URI to win which include:

2. Making the FT's
5. Keep the game close and let the Ryan Center be your true sixth man off the bench
6. Two of the newcomers need to have big games whether its Rory Stewart, Lou Hutchinson, Frenchy, Abdou Samb, Brandon Weston, Josaphat Bilau etc.

Any of your thoughts.
Talent wise and experience this will be a very difficult task for us to beat PC.

We need to shoot better than the 38% (FG) that we have been averaging to even keep this game close.
PC has averaged 46%.

Also we need to be able to rebound and not allow 2nd chances.
They currently hold an 8-rebound advantage over their competition.

We also need more balanced scoring.
All of PC starters average double-digits.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Agree with all of the above.

Our bigs will need to stay out of foul trouble. Need to have good start; we can’t fall behind early like we have a tendency to. No 14-2 starts.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

11. Locker room posting material of whatever Cooley said about this not being a rivalry game?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

You are looking past BC......
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

12. Remind them that Chickenshit Ed's Cooley thinks he's too good to have to make that long, long, loooooooonnnnng trip from Eaton Street.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hopkins is the key to beating PC. He is very very good. I think if he stays 3 years he could one of their best players in modern era. 6’8” and can score at all three levels. We won’t have anyone that can really match up with him. Bynum and the rest of their core don’t elicit fear. Al Durham type player is missing this year for them.
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Hopkins is the key to beating PC. He is very very good. I think if he stays 3 years he could one of their best players in modern era. 6’8” and can score at all three levels. We won’t have anyone that can really match up with him. Bynum and the rest of their core don’t elicit fear. Al Durham type player is missing this year for them.
Yeah they have good pieces but there’s a lot of meh on that roster
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
sbrand wrote: 1 year ago I don't want to look past BC but I am doing a podcast with William Georghegan of the Independant and came up with a few keys for URI to win which include:

2. Making the FT's

Any of your thoughts.
Talent wise and experience this will be a very difficult task for us to beat PC.

We need to shoot better than the 38% (FG) that we have been averaging to even keep this game close.
PC has averaged 46%.

Kinda mildly disagree with this negative take.
Miller is at least equal to Cooley and I believe RC packed is worth 5-8 points.

Scott B take otoh is bang on. We’ll see how things go at Conti tomorrow

Need a huge game from EZ Buckets.
Last edited by hrstrat57 1 year ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

While it is early in season and Archie is still tinkering with the line-up, the fact is that URI has shown more balanced scoring and this was particular evident in the Cayman games where the bench got PT averaging about 50% and contributed over 50% of the scoring. Tough to judge PC since their schedule to date is so unbalanced, but generally the PC bench plays less and contributes less scoring. This is especially true when the opposition is tougher like Miami and St. Louis where the bench contributed 6 and 11 points respectively versus 33 bench contribution against Stonehill. I wouldn't say PC has Ironman approach, but it comes damn close. In both PC losses, PC faded as the game went, URI should try to exploit this aspect.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago
While it is early in season and Archie is still tinkering with the line-up, the fact is that URI has shown more balanced scoring and this was particular evident in the Cayman games where the bench got PT averaging about 50% and contributed over 50% of the scoring. Tough to judge PC since their schedule to date is so unbalanced, but generally the PC bench plays less and contributes less scoring. This is especially true when the opposition is tougher like Miami and St. Louis where the bench contributed 6 and 11 points respectively versus 33 bench contribution against Stonehill. I wouldn't say PC has Ironman approach, but it comes damn close. In both PC losses, PC faded as the game went, URI should try to exploit this aspect.
Ish is averaging almost 20 pts, next is Bray about 11 pts.
After that no player at 7 points or more.

Last game in Cayman we only had 4 players even in the scoring column.

What I mean is we need more players on our roster to make a scoring impact.
I think that time will come eventually.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'm most worried about our interior defense in this one.

Kansas State and Tulane just had their way with us down low and Ed Croswell is as good as anyone they have.

Need Ish, Bray and Bilau to continue to do what they're doing, but who else is gonna start stepping up?

Need guys like Carey and Weston to become consistent scoring threats.

Biggest key though is Malik Martin. He's going to be on the floor a lot and he's going to do all the dirty work that you need done, but while he's out there it would be nice if he could provide us with some offense.

He's shooting at a 29% clip right now
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I think we get smoked. Hate to be negative, but I watched a very good St. Louis sneak by PC. We will need to be red hot from 3 and hope they have an off day. I think PC beats us in Archie's first two seasons, and we beat them at the Ryan Center in year 3.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago

2. Making the FT's

Any of your thoughts.

PC has averaged 46%.

Kinda mildly disagree with this negative take.
Miller is at least equal to Cooley and I believe RC packed is worth 5-8 points.

Scott B take otoh is bang on. We’ll see how things go at Conti tomorrow

Need a huge game from EZ Buckets.
Not intended as a negative take.
Just illustrating some stats and trying to be realistic.

PC just has more seasoned and impactful players than we do at this time.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I think we get smoked. Hate to be negative, but I watched a very good St. Louis sneak by PC. We will need to be red hot from 3 and hope they have an off day. I think PC beats us in Archie's first two seasons, and we beat them at the Ryan Center in year 3.
They really aren't that good lol
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I think we get smoked. Hate to be negative, but I watched a very good St. Louis sneak by PC. We will need to be red hot from 3 and hope they have an off day. I think PC beats us in Archie's first two seasons, and we beat them at the Ryan Center in year 3.
Croswell is their best big man but he can’t score if it’s not a layup. Bynum thinks he’s Al Durham but he’s not.. they will probably lose to TCU by 10+ this week
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago
Croswell is their best big man but he can’t score if it’s not a layup. Bynum thinks he’s Al Durham but he’s not.. they will probably lose to TCU by 10+ this week
I mean they're struggling with Columbia right now
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I agree with Stevey, it may take 2 seasons before we beat them.

PC certainly isn't great but currently much better than us.
It will take a huge effort by us and a poor game by them for us to pull it off.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The game is at home so we hang with them especially early

PC may be a 5 point fav
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Exactly. It’s not about them being great. Kansas St is the best team we’ve played and they beat us in every aspect of the game. I think PC could beat them. I hope I’m wrong. On paper we are inferior but anything can happen in a rivalry game.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Hopefully Cooley won’t wake up by next Saturday and realize he needs to play the freshman Pierre more. Their offense seems to flow better in the limited minutes he’s been getting. He seems to have that natural point guard mentality of breaking down a defense.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Exactly. It’s not about them being great. Kansas St is the best team we’ve played and they beat us in every aspect of the game. I think PC could beat them. I hope I’m wrong. On paper we are inferior but anything can happen in a rivalry game.
PC doesn't look anywhere near as good as Kansas State

At this point we don't know how good we'll be by next week since we've already vastly improved within the first two weeks.

Also when is it not a close game in the Ryan Center? Even when we have bad teams we keep it close in there.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

This is a rivalry game. Throw every meaningful stat out the window.

I’ve seen worse URI teams take better PC teams to the wire. Home court will matter.

I think everyone is being exceedingly negative about URI considering the historically poor shooting that I don’t believe is possible to stick at such a pace. We are going to be continually improving.

Ish has emerged as a star. Bray is scrappy and has an edge. I think these guys are going to thrive in the rivalry environment.

Archie hasn’t lost to Ed.

Fuck PC. But worry about them in 24 hours.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Let's worry about BC first.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago This is a rivalry game. Throw every meaningful stat out the window.

I’ve seen worse URI teams take better PC teams to the wire. Home court will matter.

I think everyone is being exceedingly negative about URI considering the historically poor shooting that I don’t believe is possible to stick at such a pace. We are going to be continually improving.

Ish has emerged as a star. Bray is scrappy and has an edge. I think these guys are going to thrive in the rivalry environment.

How many of our guys understand this rivalry?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago This is a rivalry game. Throw every meaningful stat out the window.

They gonna learn real fast Dec 3.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seems excessive to list 10 keys lol, you could list 100 if you list 10.

Contain Hopkins, shoot well from 3, don’t get into a lull on offense.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

I’m sure the returnees will fill in the new guys about the rivalry and Arch wants this one bad I’m certain
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago

I’m sure the returnees will fill in the new guys about the rivalry and Arch wants this one bad I’m certain
Have any of our current players played against PC at the Ryan Center? The last time was 2019, correct?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

I mean the guys who played this year in the half empty Ryan center will probably get a decent idea the rivalry is a big deal when the building is sold out and nuts.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

1) rhody shows up for opening tip

Lights out PC !

NIGHTY NIGHT DRINKS ON THE HOUSE
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

We’ll win if we score more points than they do.

—Captain Obvious
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

How many of their guys understand this rivalry?

Minutes played in Last year’s game:
URI
32-Leggett
28-Martin
13-Thomas
73 minutes from returnees

PC
25-Breed
22-Croswell
47 minutes from returnees

We have 3 roster returnees to PC 2 with 73 minutes vs PC 47

We have the experience advantage and a humongous improvement in HC over last year’s game.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago 12. Remind them that Chickenshit Ed's Cooley thinks he's too good to have to make that long, long, loooooooonnnnng trip from Eaton Street.
Remind them that Chickenshit Ed Cooley was afraid to play us 2 years ago and substituted a bad FDU team in our place. Local media excused Cooley by saying PC didn’t need the URI game. PC ran from playing URI on their home court with no fans allowed to watch. #WhoDucken.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago 12. Remind them that Chickenshit Ed's Cooley thinks he's too good to have to make that long, long, loooooooonnnnng trip from Eaton Street.
Remind them that Chickenshit Ed Cooley was afraid to play us 2 years ago and substituted a bad FDU team in our place. Local media excused Cooley by saying PC didn’t need the URI game. PC ran from playing URI on their home court with no fans allowed to watch. #WhoDucken.

If he didn’t want to play us, he wouldn’t. He wants to play us.

He and the PC admin didn’t want to lose the revenue from playing us in an empty gym that year.

BS move, soft, whatever. Sure. It happened.

You all sound like whiny teenagers still bitching about it.

We play them Saturday, I’d say most of us couldn’t care less what happened in that COVID season.

Move on.
2 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

If he didn’t want to play us, he wouldn’t. He wants to play us.

He and the PC admin didn’t want to lose the revenue from playing us in an empty gym that year.

BS move, soft, whatever. Sure. It happened.

You all sound like whiny teenagers still bitching about it.

We play them Saturday, I’d say most of us couldn’t care less what happened in that COVID season.

Move on.
Bullshit. You don’t know what you are talking about.
PC was going to keep the home game the following year. They were not going to play in an empty gym and then the home game would revert to Ryan Center the very next year. That was made up bullshit that you are continuing to peddle.

Cooley ducked the game period. Even the majority of PC fans I know admit that and they were disappointed the game wasn’t played.

Wear your PC Attire with pride Saturday.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 seasons to beat them?
PC is much better than us?

What happened to:
- time outs after made baskets
- poor X’s and O’s
- letting players do whatever they wanted being an advantage for this year with Archie Miller?
- better assistant coaching staff

I’d say URI has a very realistic shot at winning this game.
PC has two guys that return from last year’s game, we have 3 guys from last years game

Last year we lost by 14, played to within 3 points in the 2nd half. Pulling both Mitchell’s with about 4 minutes left in the 1st half and putting in the Freshman, Illeri, who only had made 1 appearance for 8 minutes prior led to Croswell going crazy and PC going up by 11 in less than 4 minutes. PC fans around me, and me included, had no idea why Illeri was coming in but that was Teddy Ballgame as they say.

I don’t see PC on paper being way better than URI at all.

PC is loaded with new guys, who are used to playing to the Dunk crowds, playing Merrimack, Columbia, etc etc. The Ryan Center, Archie Miller and our players will rattle the Friars and deliver a big W.
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

So last year Noah Horchler torched us. A lot of fans didn't know who he was. Who would you say is this year's Horchler?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago So last year Noah Horchler torched us. A lot of fans didn't know who he was. Who would you say is this year's Horchler?
Scott the biggest surprise by far in last year's PC game was Ed Croswell
That was his breakout game with 13 pts (5-6 FG, 3-3 FT) and 15 rebounds.
The year prior he only averaged 2 pts and 7 minutes.

Noah Horchler was already a known commodity.
He had previously led them in scoring a couple of times and had many double-digit games.

Bryce Hopkins is only a sophomore but well known as a 4* top 40 recruit and Kentucky transfer is the player I fear the most, not sure we have an answer for him.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yup Croswell destroyed us that better not happen again
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

2 seasons to beat them?

What happened to:
- poor X’s and O’s
- letting players do whatever they wanted being an advantage for this year with Archie Miller?

PC has two guys that return from last year’s game, we have 3 guys from last years game

Last year we lost by 14, played to within 3 points in the 2nd half. Pulling both Mitchell’s with about 4 minutes left in the 1st half and putting in the Freshman, Illeri, who only had made 1 appearance for 8 minutes prior led to Croswell going crazy and PC going up by 11 in less than 4 minutes. PC fans around me, and me included, had no idea why Illeri was coming in but that was Teddy Ballgame as they say.

PC is loaded with new guys, who are used to playing to the Dunk crowds, playing Merrimack, Columbia, etc etc. The Ryan Center, Archie Miller and our players will rattle the Friars and deliver a big W.
Love the confidence Ramster. But maybe you didn't see the BC game? The players may have problems with their confidence after that game. Hopefully some home cooking, a great Ryan center crowd, and some Archie magic gets the team going. I'm trying to stay positive.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

100% with Ramster on PC and this game.

Go Rhody.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

2 seasons to beat them?

What happened to:
- poor X’s and O’s

On paper, they have a better team right now. We are simply wayyyyy too young and too raw. They have the best player on the floor in Hopkins. Croswell is much better than any of our bigs right now. They have 5 guys that score in double digits. We have two. Our 3rd leading scorer averages 6.6 PPG... We can't score the rock.

Now I agree with you that anything can happen at home and in a rival game. We do have that going for us. Let's hope we have our best shooting game and pull it out. If PC has an ice-cold shooting night, we may be able to steal this game.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

2 seasons to beat them?

What happened to:
- poor X’s and O’s

On paper, they have a better team right now. We are simply wayyyyy too young and too raw. They have the best player on the floor in Hopkins. Croswell is much better than any of our bigs right now. They have 5 guys that score in double digits. We have two. Our 3rd leading scorer averages 6.6 PPG... We can't score the rock.

Now I agree with you that anything can happen at home and in a rival game. We do have that going for us. Let's hope we have our best shooting game and pull it out. If PC has an ice-cold shooting night, we may be able to steal this game.
Yes Stevey, appreciate the reality check.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

If that comes to be, home and rival game, stealing one would need free throws down the stretch……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I think many are way to negative on this one. Figuring the line will be something like pc by 3.

Don’t we have a reasonable chance being a 3 pt underdog with a week to prepare?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 1 year ago I think many are way to negative on this one. Figuring the line will be something like pc by 3.

Don’t we have a reasonable chance being a 3 pt underdog with a week to prepare?
Not a question of really being negative, just that several of us feel that PC is the better team at this time.
They have players that are seasoned and have P6 experience, so they are used to playing on a big stage.
They have good balance with several scoring options.

PC has a much tougher game tomorrow against TCU in Texas.
They are just coming off a big victory against national ranked Iowa.

I think much will be learned from the results of that game.

Yes, I do think we always have a chance, but a lot has to work in our favor.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

I've been negative going into this game for close to 50 years -- why change now?

One thing is certain -- we definitely need a big game from EZbuckets!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

st Louis is good but does not seem to be consistent. Hard to read them. Got completely smoked by Maryland on neutral court (Mohegan)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago I've been negative going into this game for close to 50 years -- why change now?

One thing is certain -- we definitely need a big game from EZbuckets!
This is his easiest game. The place will be crazy no matter what....at least for a while.
0 x