FCS SELECTION SHOW FIELD OF 24 - Sunday 12:30PM ESPNU

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: FCS SELECTION SHOW FIELD OF 24 - Sunday 12:30PM ESPNU

Unread post by ramster »

CAA
The CAA looks likely to have 4-5 total bids with an outside shot of getting a sixth team in.

No. 8 William & Mary
W&M is 9-1 overall, featuring an FBS win (Charlotte) and one now-ranked win (No. 20 Delaware). Its loss is to No. 14 Elon. At nine D1 wins and a ranked matchup at Richmond coming, W&M is in the running for a seed.
Last game: at No. 11 Richmond

No. 11 Richmond
Richmond is 8-2 overall and 8-1 vs. the FCS. It owns two now-ranked wins over No. 18 UNH and No. 20 Delaware, and the loss is to No. 14 Elon. The game vs. W&M this week has a seed on the line.
Last game: vs. No. 8 William & Mary

No. 14 Elon
Elon has a bye this week to finish the regular season 8-3 overall and 8-2 vs. the FCS. It has three now-ranked wins (No. 8 W&M, No. 11 Richmond, No. 20 Delaware). The two FCS losses are to Rhody and No. 18 UNH. At eight D1 wins and three ranked victories, Elon’s resume should stand out in the at-large pool.

No. 18 New Hampshire
UNH is 7-3 overall and 7-2 vs. the FCS. It has one now-ranked win over No. 14 Elon and just knocked Rhody out of the rankings. The FCS losses are to NC Central and No. 11 Richmond. UNH eyes its eighth D1 win this week at unranked Maine.
Last game: at Maine

No. 20 Delaware
The Blue Hens are 7-3 overall, featuring an FBS win (Navy). The losses are to No. 8 W&M, No. 14 Elon, and No. 11 Richmond. Delaware’s best FCS win is over Rhody, who fell out of the rankings this week. The Blue Hens look to hit eight D1 wins this week at unranked Villanova.
Last game: at Villanova

Rhode Island
Rhody is 6-4 overall and 6-3 vs. the FCS. It has FCS losses to No. 20 Delaware, No. 8 W&M, and No. 18 UNH. And it has one now-ranked win over No. 14 Elon. Rhody can hit seven D1 wins this week vs. UAlbany but may need a Delaware loss and some bubble help to get in.
Last game: vs. UAlbany

We got the Delaware LOSS to Villanova!!

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-pla ... k-12-bzbz/
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Final CAA Standings

Selection Show 12:30pm Sunday ESPNU

4B023A17-1D5C-43AB-AB72-CFBDC8B1C59A.jpeg
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Let us F’nnnnnn in!!!!

GO RHODY!
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I don’t feel good about this. I hope that I am wrong.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Believe.

2 last second road losses to ranked teams in the field. 1 home loss to then #10. Good win over Elon.

These guys agree:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... s-playoffs
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

I don’t know if there are “good loses” in FCS football but the losses to W&M and UNH on the road would get as close as you can get. I don’t think the home loss to Delaware is a bad loss either. And although Result of the Pitt game was never really in doubt Rhody held there own a d didn’t do anything to embarrass themselves against a ranked FBS team on the road. I really hope this team is rewarded for a very good season.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's either URI or Delaware for the 5th CAA team, but the CAA will get 5.

I think many of the other pundits chose Delaware based on their FCS name recognition and the fact that the won the face to face early in the year. The NCAA pundit seems to value the fact that URI finished the season a lot stronger than Delaware. The non-loss to UNH, the one point loss decision to go for the two point conversion at Williamsburg, both on the road, both against two Conference leaders, both very close games, coupled with home wins against Maine and Albany is a relatively strong finish, and a strong finish has value in football.

Looking at some of the other bubble teams mentioned: Fordham is a solid team at 9-1, with wins against 3 bottom half CAA conference teams that URI also beat: Monmouth, Albany, and Stony Brook. But Fordham with a better overall record, did not have to face the cream of the CAA Conference like URI did. They didn't face Delaware, Elon, William & Mary, UNH.

The CAA is a strong FCS Conference, top to bottom. 5 bids is a safe prediction.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago It's either URI or Delaware for the 5th CAA team, but the CAA will get 5.

I think many of the other pundits chose Delaware based on their FCS name recognition and the fact that the won the face to face early in the year. The NCAA pundit seems to value the fact that URI finished the season a lot stronger than Delaware. The non-loss to UNH, the one point loss decision to go for the two point conversion at Williamsburg, both on the road, both against two Conference leaders, both very close games, coupled with home wins against Maine and Albany is a relatively strong finish, and a strong finish has value in football.

Looking at some of the other bubble teams mentioned: Fordham is a solid team at 9-1, with wins against 3 bottom half CAA conference teams that URI also beat: Monmouth, Albany, and Stony Brook. But Fordham with a better overall record, did not have to face the cream of the CAA Conference like URI did. They didn't face Delaware, Elon, William & Mary, UNH.

The CAA is a strong FCS Conference, top to bottom. 5 bids is a safe prediction.
Favored by 15 but only beating Maine by 4 wasn’t a strong finish. We should have pummeled Maine as oddsmakers predicted.

It’s very, very close as we could be the last team in.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

UNH only beat Maine by 1?
Thats like saying W & M should be embarrassed beating us by 1. They were happy as shit.
Any time Rams win="the opponent is not that good". Nobody ever says that when the same team is whipping Rhodys arse.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago UNH only beat Maine by 1?
Thats like saying W & M should be embarrassed beating us by 1. They were happy as shit.
Any time Rams win="the opponent is not that good". Nobody ever says that when the same team is whipping Rhodys arse.
Brian,

Do you think we get in?
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

whats the CAA's non conference record vs. other FCS teams?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pick URI among the 24 teams and have us play New Hampshire which takes care of the missed call.
Winner then plays seeded Holy Cross in the next round.
Or we play St Francis 1st game

We will go anywhere to play!
Please pick Rhody!!!!!!!!
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

The CAA's non con. record was something like 19-5?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Delaware is in…
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

delaware got the bid. that was fast.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

lots of legacy picks and 7-4 teams
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Delaware kicked our ass. Maybe there was some hope that the game happened long enough ago to overcome it on overall resume grounds, but blowing that UNH game ended up being a killer. Had two chances to sure up a bid, one early and one late: if we had beat Delaware or UNH we’d have been in, but we didn’t so here we are. Hard to complain too much.

Have to proud of the team though. We were like two plays away from winning the conference outright (one play from beating both W&M and UNH, which would have seen us leapfrog both of them if we had made them both) and potentially being a very high seed. If we’d gotten in we’d have been legit threats to win. That’s how it goes sometimes.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

It was a good season despite this disappointing result for the players. The program is moving in the right direction so our time will come.
0 x
Kirby.Krackle
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Kirby.Krackle »

I’m honestly shocked that Delaware got it.

Looking at their boards, their fans seemed to be convinced that they weren’t gonna be in.

Not to mention they lost 3 of 4 games down the stretch.

Hard to be positive about this season when, in my opinion, this was our best bet to get into the playoffs. Looking ahead, we are losing A LOT of key players including Kasim.
2 x
Brian Forster
ARD

sad-but some on team did not play well.
a regression in cases.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

3 chances...

Could have easily taken W&M into OT by simply kicking the PAT.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago 3 chances...

True. Could have easily made the season by converting the 2, also.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Brian Forster
ARD

Rams only lose 5-6 players who were (clear) playoff caliber.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This was a better season than the 7-4, 2000 Stowers season when they lost what, 3 straight at the end?

At least this team finished fairly strong, in close games, with just a couple of miscues.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don't particularly agree with some of the in game things that Fleming and his staff do. I didn't like anything about the Delaware game, but I give them a lot of credit for turning things around the rest of the season like they did. I didn't like the onside kick at the end of the Pitt game, all that did was make it look like to future historians that the game wasn't as close as it was. I didn't like the 2 point conversion attempt in Williamsburg. I prefer getting the easy money PAT and going to 7 more OT's if need be.

And I didn't like three runs and a cloud of dust with 3.5 mins to go in NH.

But, I am willing to concede that there is more than one way to skin a cat in the game of Football, and although Flemming might zag where I prefer to zig, he's still a pretty damn good fb coach.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago 3 chances...

Disagree. Had trouble stopping the W&M run. Felt like our only major stops were turnovers. With the momentum and the top team in the conference on their heels, you go for 2 there.

You do realize W&M was a top 8 seed. You just expect us to simply beat them in OT?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

No.

I don't expect to beat them in OT.

I do expect them to tie the game and give them a chance to beat them in OT, when going for 2 had no chance of happening.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I would rather see "URI lost to W&M, on the road, in OT" than "URI lost to W&M going for a failed 2 pt conversion at the end of regulation"
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I would rather see "URI lost to W&M, on the road, in OT" than "URI lost to W&M going for a failed 2 pt conversion at the end of regulation"
umm, what????

I would rather see URI win that game and be in the NCAA tournament. You make the play that you feel gives you the best chance to win. You are on the road against the top team in the conference. Take matters into your own hands and control your destiny.
Same thing with the on side kick. We went to Pitt to win. The only way to win at that point was an onside kick, so screw it, onside kick it is.

If the above is how you really feel- This is the end of my conversation with you. I can tell you have zero experience in a locker room leading guys. You lose buy in/the locker room making losing decisions. Win the game. End of discussion.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You watch NFL, right? NCAA, high school football, pop warner, etc?

There is a time and tested REASON why teams get the PAT and go to OVERTIME in that scenario and do NOT go for the 2 point conversion, in most cases. OK?

OT is a 50/50 % chance of winning, or maybe just shy of 50/50. The two point conversion has what? 25%, if that?

Enough. And going to OT doesn't have selection committees scratching their heads wondering what you were thinking either.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And you can tell Jack Sh1t about me. So get over yourself.
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Delaware does not belong ahead of us. Early in the year they looked like a juggernaut. Beating Navy and steamrolling us. They finished like 💩. Stinky crap. If we didn’t deserve it a bid before Delaware, a team from another conference should have gotten that bid.
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

We had a better CAA record than Delaware. So if Delaware's in-conference losses don't matter, our losses to W&M and UNH by one play should not matter. If you are going to pick 5 from the CAA you pick us.
I think the fact that Delaware will get 16,000 fans was the deciding factor.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You are probably right.

Still it may have just come down to something as simple as: it's one or the other, who beat who? And has nothing to do with how much they won by, it could have been by 1. We can only guess what the criteria is.
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

There is no way Delaware gets a home game. If they do, college football is more corrupt than FIFA.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I love how people here think the NCAA hates our school and only our school when we get left out of something.

Win one more game and you’re in. End of discussion.
2 x
Go Rhody
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

It is not about the NCAA hating our school, which they do. It is about doing the right thing. Delaware does not belong. Someone else does.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

UNH ending on that BS touchdown hurts even more now.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Would have been a good way for the NCAA to do a “make up” call on that UNH bogus touchdown

URI 5-3 gets snubbed for 4-4 Delaware. The Delaware message board was dead. They thought they were out.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I thought our resume was better of everyone - including Delaware as counterintuitive as it seems. They beat us months ago, and haven’t looked anywhere near the same. We represent their best win.

If you do blind resumes, URI’s was significantly better. They obviously did not. Delaware is in on name alone. Their resume sucks.

That said, win one more game and we were in. Damn shame.

At least football isn’t an embarrassment anymore.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Brian Forster
ARD

Delaware and Montana are going in on their shields. Whoa. Take a look at some of the schedules of the 7-4 teams going in.
If the shoes were reversed,Rhody would not even be in discussion.
Legacy,tradition,rep. made a difference? Attendance a factor?
I have mixed feelings as some of the Rams play was shocking this season. Rams have had history of lousy kicking,this season was not playoff caliber.
1 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

We should have entered into a ten year contract to play Holy Cross instead of Bryant if we are serious about making our at large chances better.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

You win you in...can not blame selection committee. Why put it in their hands.
You know when the season starts what it takes to get in. No Guessing.
Good Season...some tough loses and some monday morning quarter backing on play calls.
Start building for next year
0 x