11/15 | Stony Brook | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: 11/15 | Stony Brook | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago They are going to win this game, but very disappointed in Freeman, Weston and the guard play this year. We are such a bad shooting team. I guess this rebuild is going to take a long time, but when Martin and Leggett are leading us we are definitely in for a long year. I guess Hutchinson was the bright side from this game. We haven’t been able to shoot at all the last 3 years
We aren’t great at shooting but we were better tonight. Small step improvement but I’ll take it. Only 10 turnover’s…much better than our first two games with the TO’s.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Congratulations Coach !
3 x
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Great to get a W. Lots to like, lots to improve on.

Hopefully a fun one with Kansas St next week
6 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Just happy to put one in the win column, don't care how we looked doing it. Congrats on the first of many Archie!
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Winning cures all! Congrats guys!
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good win. Better shooting as a team from the field and from 3. Another excellent shooting night from the line. Only 10 turnovers tonight. Multiple improvements on the offensive end.

How did we look defensively? Sucks not listening or watching.

Keep it going, Rhody. Get ready for the step up in competition.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago They are going to win this game, but very disappointed in Freeman, Weston and the guard play this year. We are such a bad shooting team. I guess this rebuild is going to take a long time, but when Martin and Leggett are leading us we are definitely in for a long year. I guess Hutchinson was the bright side from this game. We haven’t been able to shoot at all the last 3 years
Weston is playing hurt and just played his first real minutes at the D1 level. He hit arguably the biggest shot of the game and was fantastic on the defensive end.

You guess Hutchinson was the bright spot? You guess? He shot 6-8 from the floor. 2-3 from 3. 15 points.... He was awesome..Man, some of you are so negative..

Great games by Thomas, Ish, Hutch, and Malik.

It's pretty fun having big men that can shoot free throws huh?

Archie MIllers first win!!! Go Rhody!!
9 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Weston is playing hurt and just played his first real minutes at the D1 level. He hit arguably the biggest shot of the game and was fantastic on the defensive end.

You guess Hutchinson was the bright spot? You guess? He shot 6-8 from the floor. 2-3 from 3. 15 points.... He was awesome..Man, some of you are so negative..

Great games by Thomas, Ish, Hutch, and Malik.

It's pretty fun having big men that can shoot free throws huh?

Archie MIllers first win!!! Go Rhody!!
This team is plagued by injuries and adjustments (freeman) but once they’re healthy, it’ll be a lot of fun.
4 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Hutchinson coming out party tonight. I don’t follow recruiting as closely as I used to or as closely as some here do, but I was kind of surprised when people were talking about him like a long term project before the season. His body isn’t totally ready for really high level college basketball yet but he’s got good athleticism, and he’s sufficiently skilled when you factor in that he’s a super smart kid with the right attitude/approach. I’m happy to see him get a chance for some minutes early on and to take advantage of them. Thomas, Leggett and Weston all hit 3s later, but when he made his two as Stony Brook was hanging around the rest of the team was really struggling to make anything. Those were really big shots.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

A lot to like tonight albeit against a weaker opponent

Not sure who said “I guess Hutchinson” but man what are you looking for from an A10 Freshmen. He looked great tonight. Stepped into his shots, every one he took was a good one and as a FR he looked really good at the foul line against the zone. That’s the most critical spot on the floor and we will see a lot of zone this year.

Bray looked more engaged in street clothes than he has in uniform so maybe just maybe our Coach knows something about building a culture/identity.

Trust the process ;)
9 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

LLLLOOOOOUUUUUU
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Nice to get a win. Watching Kentucky vs MSU. We have a looooooomng way to go.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Got nothing to complain about tonight. Short rotation was crisp and smooth.

Couple observed tidbits from the RC:
-Freeman spent a lot of time in runway with the Warwick kids hoops team before the game after warmups. He was most definitely not sulking
-Martin was in the post game handshake line

On to the road!
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago*sad*
Don't be sad, look at it as a "healthy scratch" :lol:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

BCRhody03 wrote: 1 year ago Wasn't able to make the Texas State game so looking to see some improvement from whoever ends up seeing the floor tonight.

Just heard them announce a "Tee's for 3's" promotion, where they're supposed to throw shirts in the crowd after URI makes 3 point shots. They might want to re think that strategy if fan engagement is the goal.

Hopefully tonight changes that trend. I'll predict its Rory based off pre game warm-ups.
I don't remember who it was that made it, but I caught one
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I came away from this thinking we could be pretty decent with a full roster.
3 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Nice to see all the positive posts on here . First the bad : Too many unforced turnovers in the first half . The good : They clean it up in the second half.
The bad : Still overplaying too much by the guards which allowed easy layups. The good: shooting was significantly better , especially from three .the
good : Nice contributions from a number of player including Leggett, Hutchinson, Samb, Tchicou , Thomas , Martin and Weston . The good : good
rebounding and better positioning . Hutchinson had a spectacular game , Weston hit a big three as did Thomas and Martin got them going with his three
pointers . another nice game from Leggett , couple of nice blocks from Samb and good ft shooting .They looked like a decent team for the first time
in the second half . It was really fun to see that. They showed flashes of the talent that Archie saw in them tonight .
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago A lot to like tonight albeit against a weaker opponent

Not sure who said “I guess Hutchinson” but man what are you looking for from an A10 Freshmen. He looked great tonight. Stepped into his shots, every one he took was a good one and as a FR he looked really good at the foul line against the zone. That’s the most critical spot on the floor and we will see a lot of zone this year.

Bray looked more engaged in street clothes than he has in uniform so maybe just maybe our Coach knows something about building a culture/identity.

Trust the process ;)
Exactly what I was thinking.
Looks like Bray got the message.
He was much more engaged from the bench and the first on the court to greet the players.

Only 10 turnovers and Bassy with 10 assists.
Louis looked very comfortable, great game from him.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I thought Rory was supposed to be a 3 point shooter? When they packed in the zone and the Rhody guards were wide open and not shooting ('cause they knew why they were wide open?) and Rory came in, I thought he'd get some shots? But, he just kinda hung around at the line/in the paint, instead of getting some looks from the perimeter. Gotta find someone that can be a three threat and he seems he's got as good a chance as anyone.....
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago I came away from this thinking we could be pretty decent with a full roster.

Welcome to the party !

ha .. I couldn’t resist.. I know I know it’s stony brook

Honestly hoping to see a big jump by a10 tourney time
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Really not appreciating the Bassy hate. He finished with 13 pts 10 assists…
6 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Here’s a hot take that may ruffle some feathers.

Samb is already more offensively skilled than Cyril ever was.

If he stays healthy he’s going to end up one of the best big men we’ve had in recent years.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

NYG, I think Rory will be a good shooter from 3 for us eventually. Maybe even later this season. It is just that the speed of the game from HS bb to major college ball can be a big adjustment. Having the time to get a clean look can be dramatically different early on due to how much faster a defender can close out on a shooter, plus the defender’s length and jumping ability on top of it. It could likely be rattling his confidence just enough for him to rush or pass up shots he could take in his sleep last year.

The good thing is that the more he plays and the more he’s exposed to the speed, length and jumping ability in practice, the more comfortable he will become. Really looking forward to when he gets to that point where he is comfortable and confident.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Here’s a hot take that may ruffle some feathers.

If he stays healthy he’s going to end up one of the best big men we’ve had in recent years.
He can hit free throws!!! We have big men that can hit free throws!! :D
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Improvements, that's what we're looking for. Loved the ball movement. Yes, it was against a zone and against a shitty team, but it was moving well. Have to be excited about Louis. Maybe HE is one of the building blocks we need. Certainly looked like it tonight. Does a lot of things well. I'm rooting for Bray. I think he'll learn from this. I think I've said that I talked to him a little bit before a football game. Seems like a great kid. Apparently he's very emotional. He just has to learn to use those emotions in a positive way instead of negatively like he did last game. If he was going to leave, he's not going to do it right before a trip to the Cayman Islands.....just kidding. First win, feeling a little better tonight. We know what the next home game is.
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago I came away from this thinking we could be pretty decent with a full roster.
I came away from this that we could be good if we could hit a freakin outside shot and were luck StonyBrook’s guy sucked tonight from 3 as well. So many open looks and we don’t have a guy who can knock them down other than Martin (I guess? Sort of).
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Here’s a hot take that may ruffle some feathers.

Compelling take, 15. I love Cyril but he sure did suffer from stone hands early on which held him back offensively. If Samb develops even half the heart Cyril has and half Cyril’s effort, your take will be right on. Good for Samb and glad he stuck it out and didn’t transfer.

Boy, Cyril could battle. A warrior. A winner. Miss those days but looking forward to great days in the future.

Good stuff!
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
JushinThunderLiger
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by JushinThunderLiger »

I love seeing the young guys get plenty of playing time but was Carey hurt?

Also wanted to see Tchikou play against their bigs some more but can’t complain with the results
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I was thinking that after the first game. Like Cyril, but better offensively. I couldn't believe that they sat him last year.
2 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago Thomas has to focus on facilitating. He’s great at pushing the offense. However, teams leave him open since he hasn’t proven he can hit from long range. Archie needs to curtail the shooting.
It makes it tough to run an offense when the other team can leave your guard wide open and know he can’t shoot.
Our ceiling is very low with Bassy starting at PG playing 30 plus minutes a night
Miller does a lot of talking/communicating with Bassy during dead balls, while players are preparing to shoot free throws, etc. I think he's really getting some coaching for the first time at the college level. I think we'll see the kind of development we want to see as the season goes on. It feels like he's already forcing fewer bad shots than he did last season.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really good sign that Bray seems to be buying in now hopefully he has that team first attitude now and will be playing shortly

Stonybrook is not good @ all and let’s see how they do Thursday @ 0-3 Brown

Great to get Arch his 1st win
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Leggett has been super solid I’m really impressed. Malik Martin good in long spurts.

In the short term Walker on the team we’re likely 3-0.

My free Archie bobble head is real nice-high quality!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

we're on to K State.
0 x
:lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Leggett has been super solid I’m really impressed. Malik Martin good in long spurts.

In the short term Walker on the team we’re likely 3-0.

My free Archie bobble head is real nice-high quality!
B1BF6F91-A55A-4542-8AA8-FB0A6CA3ECC6.jpeg
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of excitement here. I don't care that it's Stony Brook. I don't care they had missing pieces (so did we). I don't care if the game was played in a box. I don't care if it was played with a fox. FIRST WIN. YOUNG GUYS. LETS GO.

Again. This was another game where you saw improvement from the previous game and from the previous half.

I love watching this offense - even if sometimes I have to cover my eyes when we're shooting. We create a ton of open chances. We create a ton of confusion. We can get to the basket. We can effectively dismantle a zone with ball movement. And our fast break. Holy hell I forgot how much I missed it. This team looks to run and can finish.

But we're still improving - yes, I know what Archie said about Bassy's supposed shooting prowess in practice. But I also know what my eyes have seen. If he didn't take another 3 all year I wouldn't hate it. He does so many things well. He can push the ball. He can see the floor. He can put his guys is spots to make shots. He can get inside and score. Him shooting from outside is less than ideal.

Lou Hutch. I believe I said many times this kid was going to be our cornerstone in future years. I'm pretty sure that was poopoo'd because he was "too raw" or not the right body. B-b-b-bullshit! ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED. Kid is clearly shaking off nerves, but when we needed him to step up, he effectively put the game away with those huge 3's in the 2nd half. He's big. He's a huge asset to distribute and break up a zone from the high post. He's smart. He is going to be this team's leader and cornerstone in 2-3 years, and I'm sure he'll have growing pains - but he's going to give us a lot of memories this season.

Weston is still hurt, back spasms are a lingering bitch, but you could see flashes tonight when he got loose.

Samb is really looking like a player and has had 2 games in a row of hitting freethrows at a rate I'm not accustomed to from our bigs.

Ish. Ish is coming back. New coach. New system. New him. He's starting to look like the kid we thought we were getting.

The effort. God this is so much fun. Guys diving on balls. Guys running. Guys trailing on breaks. Team defense. Archie is getting the best out of these guys. It was a hustle play in the backcourt from Weston and Bassy at the end that sealed the game.

That brings me to culture. All of that win happened while our "best" transfer sat on the bench. Watching Bray respond on the bench last night was refreshing. His body language had improved. He was cheering on the guys. He was joking with Rory and Mazzulla. He was learning a valuable lesson that no one is above the team - no matter their accolades or previous achievements.

Archie isn't going to let the kids call the shots. He's going to be the adult. He's going to mold them into men. Sitting your "best" player and letting him see there were opportunities for him to play and make us better, but we didn't NEED him. You play the right way or you don't play at all.

I love everything about this team. This coach. And what we're doing. My only expectation for this year is to get better and become a team that can win and win big in March and in future years. This is fun.

LETS GO! ARCHIES FIRST OF MANY! LETS SHOCK THE WORLD AND BEAT K STATE!!
12 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

We are on the right path.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of excitement here. I don't care that it's Stony Brook. I don't care they had missing pieces (so did we). I don't care if the game was played in a box. I don't care if it was played with a fox. FIRST WIN. YOUNG GUYS. LETS GO.

Again. This was another game where you saw improvement from the previous game and from the previous half.

I love watching this offense - even if sometimes I have to cover my eyes when we're shooting. We create a ton of open chances. We create a ton of confusion. We can get to the basket. We can effectively dismantle a zone with ball movement. And our fast break. Holy hell I forgot how much I missed it. This team looks to run and can finish.

But we're still improving - yes, I know what Archie said about Bassy's supposed shooting prowess in practice. But I also know what my eyes have seen. If he didn't take another 3 all year I wouldn't hate it. He does so many things well. He can push the ball. He can see the floor. He can put his guys is spots to make shots. He can get inside and score. Him shooting from outside is less than ideal.

Lou Hutch. I believe I said many times this kid was going to be our cornerstone in future years. I'm pretty sure that was poopoo'd because he was "too raw" or not the right body. B-b-b-bullshit! ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED. Kid is clearly shaking off nerves, but when we needed him to step up, he effectively put the game away with those huge 3's in the 2nd half. He's big. He's a huge asset to distribute and break up a zone from the high post. He's smart. He is going to be this team's leader and cornerstone in 2-3 years, and I'm sure he'll have growing pains - but he's going to give us a lot of memories this season.

Weston is still hurt, back spasms are a lingering bitch, but you could see flashes tonight when he got loose.

Samb is really looking like a player and has had 2 games in a row of hitting freethrows at a rate I'm not accustomed to from our bigs.

Ish. Ish is coming back. New coach. New system. New him. He's starting to look like the kid we thought we were getting.

The effort. God this is so much fun. Guys diving on balls. Guys running. Guys trailing on breaks. Team defense. Archie is getting the best out of these guys. It was a hustle play in the backcourt from Weston and Bassy at the end that sealed the game.

That brings me to culture. All of that win happened while our "best" transfer sat on the bench. Watching Bray respond on the bench last night was refreshing. His body language had improved. He was cheering on the guys. He was joking with Rory and Mazzulla. He was learning a valuable lesson that no one is above the team - no matter their accolades or previous achievements.

Archie isn't going to let the kids call the shots. He's going to be the adult. He's going to mold them into men. Sitting your "best" player and letting him see there were opportunities for him to play and make us better, but we didn't NEED him. You play the right way or you don't play at all.

I love everything about this team. This coach. And what we're doing. My only expectation for this year is to get better and become a team that can win and win big in March and in future years. This is fun.

Great Post !

Love the breakdown and seeing the forest thru the trees mindset here !
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Bassy is getting better every game. It is an amazing fete for anyone to get 10 assists on such a poor shooting team. Further, he made 4 of 6 FTs in the closing minutes which is right at my Mendoza Line for a PG in the closing minutes of a game. He needs to appreciate that he is the one that opponents are going to foul in the final minutes of a close game. He must continue to improve his FT shooting to maintain the confidence of his teammates and his playing time. His 3 point shooting will improve and is only needed late in the shot clock.
3 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of excitement here. I don't care that it's Stony Brook. I don't care they had missing pieces (so did we). I don't care if the game was played in a box. I don't care if it was played with a fox. FIRST WIN. YOUNG GUYS. LETS GO.

Another thing that I love is how this team performs on the inbound pass after a timeout.
Archie designs the right call, and we see a successful play resulting in an easy score.
We missed that the last several seasons when the players looked lost and heaved up a desperation shot.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Another thing that I love is how this team performs on the inbound pass under our basket.
Archie designs the right call, and we see a successful play resulting in an easy score.
We missed that the last several seasons when the players looked lost and heaved up a desperation shot.
Our inbound play the last few years was throw it into the backcourt like Stony Brook did a lot last night. In other words, we didn't have any inbound plays with Cox.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Another thing that I love is how this team performs on the inbound pass after a timeout.
Our inbound play the last few years was throw it into the backcourt like Stony Brook did a lot last night. In other words, we didn't have any inbound plays with Cox.
Our whole offensive movement seems so much more organized and with purpose.
4 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Had to watch from my phone, but pumped for the team to get their first win.

I'm not going to reiterate what everyone else has said already, except that this team is already starting to be fun to watch because of the ball movement. I got the feeling in the 2nd half that everyone knew the outside shot wasn't really falling, but our ball movement kept getting people open in good positions. if those shots start falling later in the year, it is going to be fun to watch them develop into the A10 tournament.

I am still obviously keeping expectations low for this team, and maybe that is why they are already more fun to watch.
3 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

also, Weston and Bassy diving for a loose ball after knocking it away near half court, LOVE TO SEE IT!
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Bassy is getting better every game. It is an amazing fete for anyone to get 10 assists on such a poor shooting team. Further, he made 4 of 6 FTs in the closing minutes which is right at my Mendoza Line for a PG in the closing minutes of a game. He needs to appreciate that he is the one that opponents are going to foul in the final minutes of a close game. He must continue to improve his FT shooting to maintain the confidence of his teammates and his playing time. His 3 point shooting will improve and is only needed late in the shot clock.
Who are you and how did you get 72's log in? Fully agree.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Rhody even ran the picket fence inbounds late in the game.

Bombproof and y’all know how much ol hrstrat57 loves the picket fence…

:)
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Bassy is getting better every game. It is an amazing fete for anyone to get 10 assists on such a poor shooting team. Further, he made 4 of 6 FTs in the closing minutes which is right at my Mendoza Line for a PG in the closing minutes of a game. He needs to appreciate that he is the one that opponents are going to foul in the final minutes of a close game. He must continue to improve his FT shooting to maintain the confidence of his teammates and his playing time. His 3 point shooting will improve and is only needed late in the shot clock.
Who are you and how did you get 72's log in? Fully agree.
72 has been making too much sense the past couple of days. The apocalypse must be coming.
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 1 year ago Had to watch from my phone, but pumped for the team to get their first win.

I'm not going to reiterate what everyone else has said already, except that this team is already starting to be fun to watch because of the ball movement. I got the feeling in the 2nd half that everyone knew the outside shot wasn't really falling, but our ball movement kept getting people open in good positions. if those shots start falling later in the year, it is going to be fun to watch them develop into the A10 tournament.

I am still obviously keeping expectations low for this team, and maybe that is why they are already more fun to watch.
Phipsi, what app did you use to watch it on your phone?

Excellent comments, btw. I really am enjoying the comments from those who are able to watch in-person on from elsewhere. 👍🏼
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I felt Lou deserved a video of his breakout game.
10 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING