11/12 | Texas State | 4:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/12 | Texas State | 4:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I liked in the post game when Archie was asked about Brayon and he said “yeah, he didn’t get back in the game” and then when I asked if he was injured, Archie said “not that I’m aware of.” Gold, pure gold.
And to give a less game thready comment than my Belichick one, that's the kind of culture and team building that we so sorely lacked the last four years. Brayon is going to be an important piece going forward, but he hasn't been good to start. The last four years he would have been allowed to stay on the court and just do whatever he wanted, tonight he didn't play the second half
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago BS goaltending call too for sure that was coming off the cylinder and down.
Too bad it's 2022 and we can't see replay in our state of the art arena.
Or look at anything On the internet
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This may be as well as URI can play at this point.
1. We just can't shoot FGs and I don't see that improving much in the next 4 months.
2. We will not shoot FTs any better this season than we did today.
3. I knew the RC would be empty when there was little traffic on 138 in West Kingston at 3:15.
4. It wasn't clear from the re-play whether there was basket interference, so the call on the floor stands.
5. The URI women are a more exciting basketball team.
6. Bryant is better and more exciting to watch than URI this season.
7. Miller can coach better than Cox, but Cox recruited better players.
8. Just coach basics and spend more practice time on shooting.
9. In tennis just win the last point. In basketball out-score your opponents.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ghostofkeaney
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ghostofkeaney »

Hope freeman figures out his attitude and gets back into Archie’s good graces. He can be good but just trying way too hard with a piss poor attitude. Loved Archie’s quick dismissal of the question. Kid needs this reality check.
5 x
Boo.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago This may be as well as URI can play at this point.
1. We just can't shoot FGs and I don't see that improving much in the next 4 months.
3. I knew the RC would be empty when there was little traffic on 138 in West Kingston at 3:15.
4. It wasn't clear from the re-play whether there was basket interference, so the call on the floor stands.
3/4 of Archie’s transfers/recruits haven’t played or haven’t been healthy yet.
2 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote: 1 year ago URI’s bench should be able to beat this terrible team. Enough with the excuses. There is a talent disparity between TSU and URI. Talent alone should be enough to beat Quinnipiac and TSU. TSU’s team is littered with JUCO and Division 2-3 transfers . In for a long 3-4 years. Further down the sh!tter. Hold the blame, Archie. Pathetic.
I thought you were gone?
4 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago BS goaltending call too for sure that was coming off the cylinder and down.
Or look at anything On the internet…

And fwiw the rc is the only place in America u can’t get internet.
My phone worked in the middle of Death Valley, but try to text someone when ur at the game? Wtf…

And so u used to not be able to hear the radio broadcast in kingston…so we went all 20th century and shit, huh?
Now u can’t hear the broadcast on the internet in kingston!

Progress…
I’m driving home and the Pee-cee game comes in loud and clear

Sry to be so pissed off, but this team sucks right now losing to Quinnipiac and Texas State at home.
And football just shit the bed. Two chances to do it, one they go for 2 and get nothing, then today on 4th and 9! MFer!!!
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago
Or look at anything On the internet…

And fwiw the rc is the only place in America u can’t get internet.
My phone worked in the middle of Death Valley, but try to text someone when ur at the game? Wtf…

And so u used to not be able to hear the radio broadcast in kingston…so we went all 20th century and shit, huh?
Now u can’t hear the broadcast on the internet in kingston!

Progress…
I’m driving home and the Pee-cee game comes in loud and clear

Sry to be so pissed off, but this team sucks right now losing to Quinnipiac and Texas State at home.
And football just shit the bed. Two chances to do it, one they go for 2 and get nothing, then today on 4th and 9! MFer!!!
Good old Rhody, almost always the bridesmaid! It's a lifestyle man, c'mon!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bray has been disappointing but I'm more worried about his attitude. He spent the whole 2nd half totally disengaged on the bench. While his other teammates were standing and supporting their teammates who were playing, Bray was sulking. This is supposed to be our best player and one of our leaders. This has to change going forward, whether he is playing or not.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
DC_Rams wrote: 1 year ago URI’s bench should be able to beat this terrible team. Enough with the excuses. There is a talent disparity between TSU and URI. Talent alone should be enough to beat Quinnipiac and TSU. TSU’s team is littered with JUCO and Division 2-3 transfers . In for a long 3-4 years. Further down the sh!tter. Hold the blame, Archie. Pathetic.
I thought you were gone?
They are now!
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Bray has been disappointing but I'm more worried about his attitude. He spent the whole 2nd half totally disengaged on the bench. While his other teammates were standing and supporting their teammates who were playing, Bray was sulking. This is supposed to be our best player and one of our leaders. This has to change going forward, whether he is playing or not.
I know that he made the all conference freshman team last year but frankly when they came to the Ryan Center last year he did not leave an impression on me. He needs to adapt to Archie's system and make some quick decisions. You have guys hustling down court and he seems to want to pound the ball into the court rather than pass.

Rhody spent a lot of time in the locker room at the half it seems they had a lot to discuss. Freeman has not shown much yet but I have faith the coaching staff will coach him up.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Bray has been disappointing but I'm more worried about his attitude. He spent the whole 2nd half totally disengaged on the bench. While his other teammates were standing and supporting their teammates who were playing, Bray was sulking. This is supposed to be our best player and one of our leaders. This has to change going forward, whether he is playing or not.
Ditto.. sitting straight across from Rhode bench it is obvious this kid is not with the program right now. Body language is awful. Sitting pouting.. not a good start for one of Archie's prize recruits. Let's hope it clicks and he can find his way out of the dog house.. pretty discouraging down 3 with 15 seconds to go and there is no one on this team that we can set up for a 3 pt attempt. Instead Thomas dribbles off 10 seconds gets fouled and misses ft. Unfortunately there is no go to guy on this roster at this time.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

BTW, I saw Antwan Walker at the game. Wish he was still here.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

As Rod used to say, “just got back from dinner……”. I think the goal tending call was wrong, the zebras also seemed to be not convinced it was, but they called it and maybe the review did not see enough to to reverse it……of course nothing in the building for fans to see. Gonna be a long winter down the hill. I think the best line up is one with both Bassey and Freeman not starting with (gulp) Carey as point guard. Add two bigs with Martin and Ish.
I am maybe repeating others here, but I will go back and read all. Archie was clearly pissed with first half display. Let’s go Brandon, do something to respond to this team performance.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Thankfully Cox isn’t here. We would have lost by 20. That guy was clueless.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Not sure what replay you watched especially since they didn’t show them at the rc but the ones shown on tv were clear. It was NOT offensive goaltending and the call should have been overturned.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The replay that wasn’t costs us a football game

The replay that was and wasn’t called in our favor really hurt our chances in this one.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Two refs watched the replay for a pretty long time and they couldn’t make up their minds, so they brought in the 3rd blind mouse and he made the call that it was interference. That call ended the comeback.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I was directly across from the basket on that call with the perfect angle to see it.. It was pretty quick, so I can't be 100% sure, but to me it looked like it was definitely off of the rim when Alex slammed it back in.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not going to win many games with all our turnovers and poor shooting.

Who would have thought that Ish and Samb would be our best players through the first 2 games.

Bray has been the biggest disappointment and was hoping for more improvement from Cary.
Looks like it will take Weston more time to get up to speed.

Anyway, I had no expectations this season except to see much improvement as things move forward.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago The year is 2022. URI has taken just 5 3pt attempts in a full basketball game and only made one.
Yep, I will go as far as shocking. We have no bomber, no designated three point threat to hang out on the perimeter, play enough defense to earn playing time. I guess the portal had none, or none that Archie’s saw as fits to the rebuild. This lack of three point threat will hurt us all season.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Brayon deleted all of his posts on Instagram. Hopefully he’s ok… has had a tough 2 games.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I was directly across from the basket on that call with the perfect angle to see it.. It was pretty quick, so I can't be 100% sure, but to me it looked like it was definitely off of the rim when Alex slammed it back in.
The ESPN+ replay showed it being off the front of the rim pretty definitively. Was the wrong call. I felt the flagrant foul was a poor call earlier in the half as well, as there was pretty minimal contact on the play. Not a particularly well officiated game in my estimation.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Glad DC Rams is now banned poor excuse for a human !!

Ugly 1st 2 games going to be a long rebuild

Samb and Ish were good today

Hope Free can bounce back !!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Brayon deleted all of his posts on Instagram. Hopefully he’s ok… has had a tough 2 games.
He deleted his twitter profile pic too.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Brayon deleted all of his posts on Instagram. Hopefully he’s ok… has had a tough 2 games.
He deleted his twitter profile pic too.
He’s 0-10 in 27 minutes across two games. Maybe he should spend more time in the gym rather than indulging in social media dramatics.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

9. In tennis win the last point. In basketball out-score your opponents.
1. You don’t think that a team full of young pieces that are playing their first real minutes won’t improve? We already improved in the second half. Maybe you were already on your way to the PC game and didn’t watch.

2. You should call Archie and tell him you’re an expert on free throw shooting. Do you want me to see if Jimmy Baron will be ok with you putting him down as a reference?

3. I thought the Ryan Center had great energy today. What section do you sit in?

4. It was a horrible call.

5. I wish them the best, but no, they aren’t.

6. Bryant has always played exciting basketball under Grasso. It’s a run-and-gun team. They’ll beat teams, but I don’t think his style will work once he jumps to the next level.

7. Very funny. One of your best.

8. I hope the players and the coaching staff read this message board because you have incredible tips. “Practice shooting”… Brilliant.

9. Let me guess…You’re also an expert in helping people with their tennis serve. What’s some your tips for that? Throw the ball up and hit it? Don’t hit it into the net?
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago That damn 10-year-old with another bucket.
Hate ten year olds
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

He's been under a lot of pressure. Take the normal pressure he'd be under for trying to live up to being preseason conference third team on a new team and in a lot of ways playing out of position, then add the abuse he's gotten online for transferring here from former teammates and GW fans. He's clearly playing tight and just making everything worse. Just needs to have a couple of things go well for him and we'll see the player everyone was expecting
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Archie has some blunt postgame comments:
“I’ve never been a part of a game where a team I’ve been with has 15 turnovers in the first half. We’re lucky that it was a nine point game at half time,” he said.

Miller acknowledged that this team is lacking the belief that they’re good at anything, and said that it’s up to the staff to change that. “It’s attitude, it’s bringing out opportunities from this game, showing them what we have to do, continuing to teach [the players].”
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Not sure what replay you watched especially since they didn’t show them at the rc but the ones shown on tv were clear. It was NOT offensive goaltending and the call should have been overturned.
If the refs had called it the other way, it would have withstood the re-play as well. There was not clear and convincing evidence that the call by the referee was wrong. It was close. Calls that close don't get overturned.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Roady Jay, you following this from FL………?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

It was fun to have fun in the Ryan Center again. Even with 3500 in the building that place gets loud when we’re given a reason to cheer.

The refs were pretty terrible and were heard from too many times, but that offensive goaltending was disgusting. From the 200s you could clearly see the ball was off the rim. The replay piece in the Ryan Center is a must. I can’t imagine Archie let’s that stand so calmly if we all could’ve seen it.

In spite of the putrid 3 point shooting and bajillion turnovers, that call cost us the game. We had all the momentum, had completed an 11 point comeback, and the RC was going to blow up after that dunk. Fuck those refs.

That said, the winning is going to come with this team. Another game with non-existent 3 point shooting, a disgusting amount of turnovers, a kid who couldn’t miss on the other team, and we still came back and gave ourselves a chance.

Lot of improvement in the second half. The offensive motion continues to impress. We can create open shots and get to the rim. We just can’t get them to fall. This feels like a belief thing because I refuse to believe D1 basketball players are actually this bad a shooting.

Also, watching a competent fast break is fun as shit. Huge improvement over the past few years.

We seem to have hit the “belief” part of installing a culture that Danny spoke of a decade ago. Archie mentioned it in the presser. That takes a long time. Danny started 0-5.

DC Rams good to see you’re back here supporting your “Alma mater” but we’re all set. Thank your bestie for the hole. It’s amazing what he was able to squander with what he was given when you compare these situations.

I’m still encouraged, but program building is a long process. Going to be more painful bumps - but it’s fun to care and have hope again.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes Blue Man, I too have high expectations for this program going forward.
Not this season or maybe not next year, but I really like our young talent and the way Archie is building this team.

He knows what we need, and I see it in the kids he signed for 23-24, and the players he recruited this season.

I think we will have a good balance of talented young guards, wings, and bigs.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That’s a lot of angst for this early in the season. Pace yourself, Archie! They’re in a tough spot right now where no one is really excelling or setting themselves apart but where they also need to start settling in with a predictable starting line-up and rotations. Not that roles can’t be won or lost but getting some kind of role definition and predictability should be the goal for the rest of the OOC schedule.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago That’s a lot of angst for this early in the season. Pace yourself, Archie! They’re in a tough spot right now where no one is really excelling or setting themselves apart but where they also need to start settling in with a predictable starting line-up and rotations. Not that roles can’t be won or lost but getting some kind of role definition and predictability should be the goal for the rest of the OOC schedule.
Ace, I actually liked Archie starting both Samb and Alex in the frontcourt.
They are both very athletic and talented and can play inside or out.
Unlike the twins, they both seem very engaged and don't pout or complain.

As most here know, I was always very high on Samb since we first started recruiting him.
I still feel he will continue to improve and develop into one of the better bigs in the A10.

Ish is playing well, which is a good sign.

Once this team cuts down on their turnovers and starts hitting their shots, they will develop more confidence and we should see much improvement.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Ish, Alex and Samb have been solid. We just need a couple more to emerge. FTs were excellent and I guess we will see if we are closer to the first game or this one as the season goes on. Same with TO’s way too many first half, good in second…if we are more like the second half team we will be in position to win our share of games.

I feel for Freeman- be strong, it’ll get better.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I agree that some guys have seemed more reliable than others, I was just going by Archie’s comment that “this team is lacking the belief that they’re good at anything.” That’s dark, man :)

This was the injury report for Stony Brook before their game against Florida. Hope it can be a confidence gaining type of game for Rhody

0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

ace wrote: 1 year ago I agree that some guys have seemed more reliable than others, I was just going by Archie’s comment that “this team is lacking the belief that they’re good at anything.” That’s dark, man :)

This was the injury report for Stony Brook before their game against Florida. Hope it can be a confidence gaining type of game for Rhody

Agreed, publicly saying the team has no confidence may not be the way to give it to them.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I liked in the post game when Archie was asked about Brayon and he said “yeah, he didn’t get back in the game” and then when I asked if he was injured, Archie said “not that I’m aware of.” Gold, pure gold.
And to give a less game thready comment than my Belichick one, that's the kind of culture and team building that we so sorely lacked the last four years. Brayon is going to be an important piece going forward, but he hasn't been good to start. The last four years he would have been allowed to stay on the court and just do whatever he wanted, tonight he didn't play the second half
I love this tough guy rhetoric BS being espoused here. I have a very good view of the bench, and let me tell you, two games in, it is not good on that bench with both Freeman and Weston. Yeah bench them and don't play them at all in the second half that will show them. I am not so sure that Bray will be an important piece going forward, if he was, I think he would be treated a little bit differently by the head coach. I mean if he is one of your better players you let him work through these problems he is having not just bench him for an entire half. This stuff in 2022 can and will have consequences. We lost the game and pissed him off and Weston as well, and we are celebrating it above like it is a good thing. Sorry it is not, we are 0-2 and already have what was thought to be two of our better players FOR THE FUTURE not play a minute in the second half. I mean Archie sold both of these guys on coming to URI, especially Freeman and for him to come and be benched for the entire second half is no way a good thing. Same for Weston. Only on this board would people be pointing to this like it is awesome. And it undercuts both of his new assistants as well who had personal relationships with each of these players that they used in getting them to come to URI.

I know here comes don't ever question Archie people, it is two games in. I hope he knows what he is doing with these two, I really do. I manage people, and have for a long time, and this approach no longer works in 2022 with your best employees. The ones you do not care about, fine. It is a different world and it is no different in college basketball. Unless this was effort related, which I see no indication it was, it is risky business to do this with a player you publicly said might be the most gifted offensive player you have seen. One and a half games in, and you bench him for an entire half? At least Bassy, Ish, and turnover machine Carey are happy. And then to add fuel to the fire in his press game conference by making that comment above?? Let's see where it goes from here. It may not be what you are all thinking it will be.
4 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago
I love this tough guy rhetoric BS being espoused here. I have a very good view of the bench, and let me tell you, two games in, it is not good on that bench with both Freeman and Weston. Yeah bench them and don't play them at all in the second half that will show them. I am not so sure that Bray will be an important piece going forward, if he was, I think he would be treated a little bit differently by the head coach. I mean if he is one of your better players you let him work through these problems he is having not just bench him for an entire half. This stuff in 2022 can and will have consequences. We lost the game and pissed him off and Weston as well, and we are celebrating it above like it is a good thing. Sorry it is not, we are 0-2 and already have what was thought to be two of our better players FOR THE FUTURE not play a minute in the second half. I mean Archie sold both of these guys on coming to URI, especially Freeman and for him to come and be benched for the entire second half is no way a good thing. Same for Weston. Only on this board would people be pointing to this like it is awesome. And it undercuts both of his new assistants as well who had personal relationships with each of these players that they used in getting them to come to URI.

I know here comes don't ever question Archie people, it is two games in. I hope he knows what he is doing with these two, I really do. I manage people, and have for a long time, and this approach no longer works in 2022 with your best employees. The ones you do not care about, fine. It is a different world and it is no different in college basketball. Unless this was effort related, which I see no indication it was, it is risky business to do this with a player you publicly said might be the most gifted offensive player you have seen. One and a half games in, and you bench him for an entire half? At least Bassy, Ish, and turnover machine Carey are happy. And then to add fuel to the fire in his press game conference by making that comment above?? Let's see where it goes from here. It may not be what you are all thinking it will be.
Thank you. I was starting to go crazy with people all rallying against Freeman 2 games in. I really don’t get why this board is so happy that he’s sitting because he’s not playing well.

Freeman and Weston are supposedly two key pieces of our future. If they don’t get to play through challenges in this meaningless year, when are they going to get better? For whatever reason it seems like Archie is prioritizing winning now over letting the young kids play

15 minutes against quinnipiac and 13 against Texas state for freeman. What is the point of that? How do you expect the kid to get into any rhythm.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

My view of the bench is similar. Weston seems totally disinterested, a look sometimes a look of I want outta here, once on the floor, does not seen engaged. At one point, while on the floor, a spirited (teaching moment?) conversation between Freeman and Archie resulted in Freeman clearly saying, “ I got you”…..afterwards Freeman shaking his head no…..not reading into anything on how this stuff impacts players and the team concept, but clearly to me that this needs fixing.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Blame the coach and ignore player accountability is never a good approach especially after just two games. And player accountability is something way more than just on court performance and so making definitive and broad conclusions based on bench demeanor and PT is silly. Unless you are privy to conversations between the coach and his players and have some concrete evidence leave the observation stuff in the kitchen cabinet.
5 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Weston seemed engaged just fine too me on the bench. Archie has said he will be a much better player in January as he gets into game shape. Freeman is a different story.. shirt untucked. Ref got on him a few times.. leaving the bench at one point concerning. Totally not supporting teammates during the comeback disheartening. I hope Archie has not already lost this kid. He is supposedly a cornerstone of the rebuild. Hopefully Archie can get through to him and bray doesn't give up. Hopefully it starts Tuesday.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

Thank you. I was starting to go crazy with people all rallying against Freeman 2 games in. I really don’t get why this board is so happy that he’s sitting because he’s not playing well.

Freeman and Weston are supposedly two key pieces of our future. If they don’t get to play through challenges in this meaningless year, when are they going to get better? For whatever reason it seems like Archie is prioritizing winning now over letting the young kids play

15 minutes against quinnipiac and 13 against Texas state for freeman. What is the point of that? How do you expect the kid to get into any rhythm.
I actually think it’s the opposite and Archie is sacrificing winning/short term gains to instill a culture and a way of playing that didn’t exist here. You saw Frank Martin do something very similar in their Towson game and bench guys/play weird combos of players to set a tone. Cooley used to use Drew Fonts a walk on clearly to prove a point; he benched his starters multiple times. It’s all coaching/leadership 101. People will do what you let them get away with doing.

Their (Freeman and Weston) body language has been bad and their on court play has been even worse. It’s not about missing shots or making a dumb pass they have both been almost unplayable which is saying a lot. Not sure what is gained by letting Bray keep forcing more shots and feigning interest on D; that isn’t doing squat for making us or him better. This player empowerment BS is how you end up with Kyrie and the inmates running the asylum which is what we had last season.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and trust Archie knows exactly what he is doing.
8 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year agoThis player empowerment BS is how you end up with Kyrie and the inmates running the asylum which is what we had last season.
That’s a pretty gross thing to say.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Too many similar responses to comment on individually.

I want to be clear that I 100% value accountability and a coach making sure no player is above the team. We’ve dealt with too much of the opposite the last few years.

Where I find an issue is a short leash for a good player/cornerstone player like freeman, and then letting a guy (like carey) run wild and get away with similar or worse shit. That’s where the message starts to get lost to me, and I could see how to the player (freeman/Weston) too.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year agoThis player empowerment BS is how you end up with Kyrie and the inmates running the asylum which is what we had last season.
That’s a pretty gross thing to say.
I mean, are you serious? It’s a message board hyperbole but the point remains; players need to be coached hard and good players actually want that.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

Thank you. I was starting to go crazy with people all rallying against Freeman 2 games in. I really don't get why this board is so happy that he's sitting because he's not playing well.

Freeman and Weston are supposedly two key pieces of our future. If they don't get to play through challenges in this meaningless year, when are they going to get better? For whatever reason it seems like Archie is prioritizing winning now over letting the young kids play

So what you're both saying is you want David Cox again. I have no idea what you thought we were getting in Archie, but if you're pouting on the bench every time you go out. If you're not supporting your teammates, and If you have a negative attitude the first time you face adversity, then you're not going to play much under him... We played well in the second half, so he stuck with the shorter rotation. That's good coaching. David Cox would have removed the players that brought us back and put in the Twins.

Weston is clearly hurt.

Bray is 0-10 in 27 minutes and has been eaten alive on the defensive end.

Props to Archie for playing the guys that have earned it. Not the players that Jon Rothstein said were a big-time get in the offseason. It's a breath of fresh air to have a coach like this. Props to Frank Martin for doing the same thing against Towson

Now, if he benches Bray the next game and doesn't give him a shot, I'll question that. I think the kid still deserves some minutes to get out of this funk. Playing him in the second half was not the right time to do this.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bray was exactly where he should be on the bench. He was playing out of control at times, not hitting his shot, and not giving a strong effort on D. Also, when he was out of the game didn’t seem engaged in what was going on. I hope he gets out of his funk and able to contribute going forward.
6 x