2022-23 Men's Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2022-23 Games of interest

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 1 year ago Texas State beat Mid-America CU 71-53 tonight
Their best big is still out.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Towson is the more complete team. Umass may win since they are at home, but I think Towson wins by 3.
Towson was much better. Always love seeing a Umass loss
Yes Stevey, Towson is the better team.
Not that I like UMass but do root for the A10 teams OOC.
Lots of UMASS haters on K-Blue. I don’t get the hatred for a fellow A10 School and long term rival from the old Yankee Conference.
I’ve always had nice experiences going to UMASS, even going back to the old, wooden Curry Hicks Cage days.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Lots of UMASS haters on K-Blue. I don’t get the hatred for a fellow A10 School and long term rival from the old Yankee Conference.
I’ve always had nice experiences going to UMASS, even going back to the old, wooden Curry Hicks Cage days.
Don’t think it was hate that was posted today, people just said how Towson is a much more balanced and experienced team than UMass at the moment.

Definitely makes for a better A10 when UMass is good.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Don’t think it was hate that was posted today, people just said how Towson is a much more balanced and experienced team than UMass at the moment.

Come on man, 41 minutes ago. I think that’s today.

Always love seeing a Umass loss
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I will never root for Umass.. Some of the most disrespectful fans I’ve ever been around…But I haven’t seen a lot of haters at all.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rick Pitino played for UMass. That alone makes me hate them.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Holy Sh*t UMASS. URI/PC/UMASS all with rough starts. Umass taking the brunt of it.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Nah, I don’t think it’s hatred. I think it’s mostly Rhody fan on rival fun ribbing. It is in my case, anyway.

However, I acknowledge other’s here may feel differently due to negative interactions or contact with UMess fans and therefore are more emotional about it than I am and think differently than I do. It’s their prerogative to do so.

It’s good that you feel the way you do towards UMess. Just never go against the family (in my best Marlin Brando, Corleone voice). :lol:
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Rick Pitino played for UMass. That alone makes me hate them.
Now, that’s a legit reason! :lol:
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I watched the UMass/Towson game and really disliked the way Frank Martin scolded his players during TOs. He'll never last at UMass.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Towson is the more complete team. Umass may win since they are at home, but I think Towson wins by 3.
The A10 (as does every conference) wants its teams to win its OOC Games to build its Conference NET. The higher the A10 Conference NET Ranking the better the possibilities of At-Large NCAA Invites.

URI plays UMASS twice. We should want UMASS to have a high NET.

It’s simple folks.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I will never root for Umass.. Some of the most disrespectful fans I’ve ever been around…But I haven’t seen a lot of haters at all.
FUCK UMASS. I'll stand up and be that guy.

Their fans. Their players.

Martin makes them tolerable. But FUCK UMASS. They deserve the worst. I wish them to be Fordham.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Martin makes them tolerable. But FUCK UMASS. They deserve the worst. I wish them to be Fordham.
Blue Man stop beating around the bush, how do you really feel about UMass? :)
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The presence of Frank Martin makes a team MORE likable? Inconceivable. I don’t really care about UMass one way or the other, but I do hope Rahsool does well there.

UConn will likely be down three starters tonight. Injuries suck, but other teams are not out there feeling sorry for you.

I’ll be at the Villanova-Temple game tonight. Nova keeps rolling, Temple lost to Wagner.
Last edited by ace 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Derek Kellogg might just be my all time favorite person to chirp at too, can't stand that guy. Him being being back guarantees I'll lose my voice at UMass games.
Rusty Reigel being the other finalist in the discussion btw.
0 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So please spare me when the annual talk comes here that we should root for Pee Cee so that they have a strong NET that therefore helps URI. #whoDucken
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Watching the UMass game. They seem to be having similar problems to what we had last Monday. They had just shy of 5K in attendance at their opener. Will be interesting to see attendance tonight. It looks like they have packed the seats behind the benches for TV. The rest of the arena looks fairly empty.
Attendance at UMass last night was 4435, drop of 528 from opening night. That said, with the three day weekend it's not super surprising that attendance might be down
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

A packed slate today

Boston College vs Detroit Mercy at 1 on ESPN+
St. Joe's vs #3 Houston in Annapolis at 6 on CBS Sports Network
George Washington vs Howard at 6 on ESPN+
Stony Brook vs Miami-Hamilton at 6:30
Duquesne at #4 Kentucky at 7 on SEC Network
#24 Dayton vs SMU at 7 on ESPN+
Richmond vs Northern Iowa at 7 on ESPN+
George Mason vs Longwood at 7 on ESPN+
Kansas State at California at 7 on PAC12 Network
Fordham at #10 Arkansas at 8 on ESPN+
Loyola Chicago at UIC at 8 on ESPN+
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago The presence of Frank Martin makes a team MORE likable? Inconceivable. I don’t really care about UMass one way or the other, but I do hope Rahsool does well there.

UConn will likely be down three starters tonight. Injuries suck, but other teams are not out there feeling sorry for you.

I’ll be at the Villanova-Temple game tonight. Nova keeps rolling, Temple lost to Wagner.
UConn will still easily rollover BU.

No sympathy from me for UConn and their health issues.
We have plenty here at URI.

Also pertaining to the BE, Seton Hall's starting PF Yetna is out indefinitely with a knee injury.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Watching the UMass game. They seem to be having similar problems to what we had last Monday. They had just shy of 5K in attendance at their opener. Will be interesting to see attendance tonight. It looks like they have packed the seats behind the benches for TV. The rest of the arena looks fairly empty.
Attendance at UMass last night was 4435, drop of 528 from opening night. That said, with the three day weekend it's not super surprising that attendance might be down
UMass isn't good, probably, like how we're not good. Maybe you can upp the attendance by 5 or 10 percent with giveaways or the absolute perfect scheduling, but honestly, this is the kind of year that both programs are probably looking to rollover some of the marketing budget to the future if they can...
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

The A10 (as does every conference) wants its teams to win its OOC Games to build its Conference NET. The higher the A10 Conference NET Ranking, the better the possibilities of At-Large NCAA Invites.

It’s simple folks.
I’ll root for other A10 teams. I once sat behind a group of Umass fans that laughed when one of our players got hurt. I then went to a Umass game, and multiple people were spitting on me. That’s correct. They were spitting on my and my GFs head. It’s not simple for me. I’m all for rivals and cheering, but they have some of the most disgusting disrespectful fans I’ve witnessed in my entire life.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

At least when I was a student in the AUGHTS, the most heated game of the year was obviously URI vs. PC. But coming in at #2 was pretty much always UMass vs. URI, even though there were better teams (Xavier, Dayton) in the conference. Not sure why, but between Hellenga on URI and guys like James Life on UMass, every game felt chippy and heated.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The A10 (as does every conference) wants its teams to win its OOC Games to build its Conference NET. The higher the A10 Conference NET Ranking, the better the possibilities of At-Large NCAA Invites.

It’s simple folks.
I’ll root for other A10 teams. I once sat behind a group of Umass fans that laughed when one of our players got hurt. I then went to a Umass game, and multiple people were spitting on me. That’s correct. They were spitting on my and my GFs head. It’s not simple for me. I’m all for rivals and cheering, but they have some of the most disgusting disrespectful fans I’ve witnessed in my entire life.
Sorry to hear that. I’ve not seen that from UMASS fans.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

It’s simple folks.
Sorry to hear that. I’ve not seen that from UMASS fans.
I get your point. A10 being better is good for us… We all have our own experiences.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Stonehill somehow managed to put up 95 points vs Quinnipiac last night, making 12 3-pointers and hitting 17-19 FT's. Let's hope that Archie has a few shooters in the pipeline, it seems to be a big deficiency on this year's team.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago No sympathy from me for UConn and their health issues.
What an odd response. I don’t believe anyone asked for your sympathy. The point was that everyone has injuries and illnesses and suspensions and whatnot, and no one is going to feel sorry for your team.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Shinze88 wrote: 1 year ago Stonehill somehow managed to put up 95 points vs Quinnipiac last night, making 12 3-pointers and hitting 17-19 FT's. Let's hope that Archie has a few shooters in the pipeline, it seems to be a big deficiency on this year's team.
Stonehill is brand new to Division 1, and they hung in there last night with Quinnipiac. Had to feel good for their guys.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago No sympathy from me for UConn and their health issues.
What an odd response. I don’t believe anyone asked for your sympathy. The point was that everyone has injuries and illnesses and suspensions and whatnot, and no one is going to feel sorry for your team.
Not really, and no one was asking for it.
I was just making a smart-ass remark in response to you mentioning 3 players out for UConn.

My feelings toward UConn have slightly tempered since Hurley got there.
But still, they are not a team I root for in the BE, maybe just ahead of PC.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
UMass isn't good, probably, like how we're not good. Maybe you can upp the attendance by 5 or 10 percent with giveaways or the absolute perfect scheduling, but honestly, this is the kind of year that both programs are probably looking to rollover some of the marketing budget to the future if they can...
If UMass is pretty much at our level and not better then I'd say this offseason was a big time whiff from Martin. He seemed to be bringing in older guys with more experience so their rebuild would be quicker than ours
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago I watched the UMass/Towson game and really disliked the way Frank Martin scolded his players during TOs. He'll never last at UMass.
No one should be surprised when he lays into his players during a game, including the powers that be at UMASS that made the decision to hire him. He’s been like that since his Kansas State days. He can’t change who is is now.
As for never lasting at UMASS, unless he starts putting his hands on players, he’ll last if he wins, plain and simple.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

On the national scene an interesting game will be:
Michigan State at #1/2 Gonzaga at 6:30 ESPN.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely pull for UMass and PC to lose , if they win and it helps are NET ranking a bit then that’s fine but in a year like this our NET doesn’t really matter
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I’m not concerned with NET’s this season either. Hopefully next season I will be paying very close attention to them.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

JimSidd wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago I watched the UMass/Towson game and really disliked the way Frank Martin scolded his players during TOs. He'll never last at UMass.
No one should be surprised when he lays into his players during a game, including the powers that be at UMASS that made the decision to hire him. He’s been like that since his Kansas State days. He can’t change who is is now.
As for never lasting at UMASS, unless he starts putting his hands on players, he’ll last if he wins, plain and simple.
Don’t forget the famous Frank Martin stare. It was out in the first half last night.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ace wrote: 1 year ago The presence of Frank Martin makes a team MORE likable? Inconceivable. I don’t really care about UMass one way or the other, but I do hope Rahsool does well there.

Phila is college hoops heaven! Drexel, LaSalle, temple, nova, st Joe’s, Penn wow! Lucky you!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Some tough games for the A10 tonight. Duq/Kentucky, St Joe’s/Houston, Fordham/Arkansas. Could be a rough night. Interested to see how the games go.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

So please spare me when the annual talk comes here that we should root for Pee Cee so that they have a strong NET that therefore helps URI. #whoDucken
Eh sports are hypocritical. Sue me lol. I thought of that exact point while writing this hahah.

A lot of it stems from our rugby rivalry in the mid-2000s. And for the 1 fight I’ve been in with PC fans, it’s been way more with UMass.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I watched the Bryant-Dartmouth game tonight. Walker had 4PFs in the first 10 minutes and didn't play thereafter. Bryant led by 17 early in the second half. They did nothing right for the next 10 minutes and were trailing by 2. They scored the next 12 points and eventually won by 19. Grasso's jacket was soaked in sweat.Their 3 point shooting was awful. There was no such thing as a bad shot.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Watched the Dayton/SMU game tonight, fantastic game Dayton controlled it up til the SMU tied it around the 4 min mark left in the second half and then Dayton pulled away with some clutch plays, ending up winning by 12 and to think they’re doing this without Malachi, this team is going to be very scary once he’s back & healthy. SMU couldn’t contain Holmes definitely going to have a big year (Don’t think it’ll be a season like Obi but he’ll be a problem)
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago

Phila is college hoops heaven! Drexel, LaSalle, temple, nova, st Joe’s, Penn wow! Lucky you!
I may be biased, but I think it is, too! I got to see a surprising Temple win and not one, but two court storms. Villanova has injuries, but I thought they would still win. I’m happy for Aaron McKie, though. He needed this.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ace wrote: 1 year ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago

I may be biased, but I think it is, too! I got to see a surprising Temple win and not one, but two court storms. Villanova has injuries, but I thought they would still win. I’m happy for Aaron McKie, though. He needed this.
I probably lost a half point on my GPA spending nights in the late 70s at doubleheaders at the Palestra instead of studying at the library. 😁
Great memories in that old barn.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Army vs Stonehill at 1 on ESPN+
UMass Lowell at Rutgers at 2
La Salle vs Wagner at 3 on ESPN+
Rhode Island vs Texas State at 4 on ESPN+
VCU vs Morgan State at 7 on ESPN+
St. Bonaventure at Canisius at 7 on ESPN+
St. Louis vs Evansville at 7 on ESPN+
Georgia State vs Georgia Tech at 7 on ESPN+
Milwaukee vs Cardinal Stritch at 7 on ESPN+
Providence vs Northeastern at 8 on FS2
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

A10 went 5-3 last night despite the 3 blowout losses (as expected) to ranked teams. It would be nice for the A10 to steal a ranked win that wasn’t expected here or there during the OOC schedule or keep the games close, at least.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Army vs Stonehill at 1 on ESPN+
Rhode Island vs Texas State at 7 on ESPN+
Just to confirm the Rhody game is at 4:00, correct?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Yes
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Sorry, I fixed the typo, you are correct
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Sorry, I fixed the typo, you are correct
Cardinal Stritch? Sounds like a high school ….. or a band name.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

VCU, Bona, and Saint Louis all in close games at the half
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

In the top game yesterday, Gonzaga at home barely beats Michigan State 64-63.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago In the top game yesterday, Gonzaga at home barely beats Michigan State 64-63.
That game was on Veterans Day (Friday) and played here in San Diego on the USS Abraham Lincoln at North Island Naval Air Station. Really cool venue and I hope they are able to continue to do more games like this in the future. Just a really cool experience for everyone involved. Turned out to be a really good game to.
1 x