11/7 | Quinnipiac | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: 11/7 | Quinnipiac | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by SGreenwell »

The positives - Thomas was better tonight than last year. Not so incredible that I'm willing to say he's clearly taken a step forward, but his performance tonight was good enough to be backup or average starter quality. Take out the 3s, and he was 3-for-6 from the floor, and 4-for-6 from the line, with only two turnovers. Leggett and Martin also played well. Tchikou was impressive off the bench, and probably takes Samb's spot eventually.

The negatives - Wow, Freeman was bad. Reminder that Cox got roasted for moving Jeff off the 1 to play some 2 - Archie should receive similar criticism if Freeman looks uncomfortable in extended play, after a couple games, doing the same. Freeman picked up 2 quick fouls and never looked comfortable, so it's not panic time about that just yet, but it was a very disappointing debut. Beyond Freeman, there is the open question of who can generate reliable offense one-on-one. No, your offense shouldn't be dominated by a Fatts Russell type, but it helps to have that kind of guy on the roster. Or a guy who can stand in the corner and hit some 3s. By the way, this was ugly enough because we lost to Quinnipiac, but if Balanc plays anywhere close to his "average," we get blown out by them.

The "huh?" - Weston managed to have three turnovers in his six minutes, so I hope he's dealing with an injury that limited his effectiveness and playing time tonight. Stewart was fine - hopefully that shooting improves. He ended up with a +7, which is likely a bit of a fluke, since he was on the court for a URI run led by other players. It was surprising to see Hutchinson out there, but he didn't embarrass himself. Unlike past years when we would obsess over 12th men like Matt Butler and Greg Hammond, wondering "what if?", it seems like Archie is more willing to experiment with different lineups and giving guys at least minimal run instead of DNPs.
5 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Looks like we have another total rebuild to deal with. Think we have an 8-10 win team this year. Who can help us going forward? We'll see.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rory Stewart should not get that many minutes in another game this season unless there’s 5 healthy players.

Barely any Carey in the second half? Why?

No matter the coach, we Still can’t shoot. From 3. From the line.

I thought Samb looked very good, smooth, comfortable, and will only get better.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

Just be glad we're not Thomas college from Waterville Maine......... Bryant just put up 147 points against the division 3 team
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Oh and huge kudos to our students loud and they had a blast. Had to overflow into other sections. Put a few hundred of em on the sidelines where they belong.

Outstanding job!
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Rory Stewart should not get that many minutes in another game this season unless there’s 5 healthy players.

I thought Samb looked very good, smooth, and comfortable, and will only get better.

What did Rory do that was so bad? He was no different than Hutch or Weston. He was fine. He needs to hit the open 3, but it was his first D1 game. He rushed his shots.

We need to have some patience with our young guys. I hope all of our young pieces get minutes because we are going to lose a lot of games regardless.
8 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I’m baffled about why Weston barely played. Especially when this team has no offensive weapons, he was rusty in the scrimmage in the first half, but once he got warm, he was the best player on the floor. We didn’t give him that opportunity tonight.
I'm thinking there must have been something wrong with his back, otherwise it makes absolutely no sense to me either.
Yes, he had some sort of back brace thing on for a good stretch of the game while he was on the bench. You could see he wasn't moving well on the floor and looked a bit stiff.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Rory Stewart should not get that many minutes in another game this season unless there’s 5 healthy players.

I thought Samb looked very good, smooth, comfortable, and will only get better.
Stewart was fine out there, not sure what you were watching. Team went on a run while he was in and coach road it. If he is half as good a shooter as he is billed those open threes he took will drop eventually.

Shoot 20% from 3 and we win that game. Shoot 75% from the line we win the game. It will come. Lots of young guys out there working out jitters or rust. Not worried at all yet.
2 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

The offense reminded me of three yards and a cloud of dust. I have never seen it applied to basketball.
3 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

I thought Samb looked very good, smooth, and comfortable, and will only get better.

What did Rory do that was so bad? He was no different than Hutch or Weston. He was fine. He needs to hit the open 3, but it was his first D1 game. He rushed his shots.

We need to have some patience with our young guys. I hope all of our young pieces get minutes because we are going to lose a lot of games regardless.
Stewart looked ready for college basketball the physical play did not seem to bother him at all. Rhody did not play well overall but they played hard. The free throw shooting was painful but the other team was missing plenty as well.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Gonna be a long rebuild, thought some of the new players would emerge early and have started and be counted on for some impact, not the case. I was was surprised the holdovers all started(correct?)and got major minutes. In the post game Archie stated something like, their body of work earned the start…….other observations, shooting awful, Rhody much better, not a good sign that Bassey has to get major minutes with so little 1/2 court offense, Carey needs more time, really liked Archie’s handling of the state of things in the post game, Yorke thinks he is part of the game entertainment, gotta go, his Samb calls are over the top, bad, JV’s Minutes of Mayhem intros are classic, on to Texas State……..gonna be a long one, the upside? Stink out of the building and no M&M’s……..Go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The biggest positive for me tonight is that nobody has called for firing the coach.

I always saw this as a bit of a rebuild, but I didn’t appreciate how much of a rebuild it’s actually going to be - never really considered the possibility that we might lose the opener at home to Quinnipiac. It will be interesting to see whether and how much Archie can put his fingerprints on this group over the course of the season. I expect to see this team get better over the course of the next few months.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Freeman looked bad and uncomfortable , very surprised. Again, trust the process.
1 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Gonna be a long rebuild, thought some of the new players would emerge early and have started and be counted on for some impact, not the case. I was was surprised the holdovers all started(correct?)and got major minutes. In the post game Archie stated something like, their body of work earned the start…….other observations, shooting awful, Rhody much better, not a good sign that Bassey has to get major minutes with so little 1/2 court offense, Carey needs more time, really liked Archie’s handling of the state of things in the post game, Yorke thinks he is part of the game entertainment, gotta go, his Samb calls are over the top, bad, JV’s Minutes of Mayhem intros are classic, on to Texas State……..gonna be a long one, the upside? Stink out of the building and no M&M’s……..Go Rhody
Carey didn't start.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Freeman looked bad and uncomfortable , very surprised. Again, trust the process.
I'm surprised by it in the sense of it's not what I expected coming into the game, but I'm not surprised by it considering how the game played out, if that makes any sense. Feels like you see it a lot where a player sits after early foul trouble and isn't able to get into the flow of the game once they come back in. I'd imagine getting into the flow is especially difficult in that situation when it's the first game of the season. I have no concerns with his game going forward
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago The biggest positive for me tonight is that nobody has called for firing the coach.

I always saw this as a bit of a rebuild, but I didn’t appreciate how much of a rebuild it’s actually going to be - never really considered the possibility that we might lose the opener at home to Quinnipiac. It will be interesting to see whether and how much Archie can put his fingerprints on this group over the course of the season. I expect to see this team get better over the course of the next few months.
TP, I didn’t expect we would lose tonight either. I was sure we would struggle some but pull out a 5-10 point win in the end.

Disappointing start to the season but I am still hoping for improvement as the season goes along so we have a good foundation to build on for future seasons. We have an excellent coaching staff and I have confidence Archie and crew will get this team playing better eventually despite the results tonight.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Great crowd for an opener. Students showed up and when we went on a run the building was loud. Was great to be back in the RC.

Weston hasn’t played in 2 years. Freeman was pressing from minute 1. We will struggle to score all year long and even as we improve defensively and gel better offensively there won’t be many easy buckets.

I knew this would be a rebuild year for all the obvious reasons so my hope for the season remains the same:

-close to .500 record
-Freeman, Weston and Tchickou show over course of year they can be the foundation of a winning team in the future
-1 other guy (Bilau, Rory, Lou, Bassy) shows improvement/promise

I don’t have much expectation beyond that. I think if Samb and Thomas are our best performers the ceiling will be very low. Tonight they prob were.

Liked the energy of Tchikou in first half not sure why he nor Carey for any run in 2nd. Jalen had some TOs we have seen many times before and maybe Archie had seen enough.
4 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Pros- Rory played much better than I ever would have expected. Held his own on defense and the boards against much bigger guys from Quinnipiac. Hopefully the shot falls soon.
Thomas looks like he has taken a step, maybe it’s just a confidence thing but he looked like a point guard, 6 assists to 2 turnovers
Malik played his usual solid game
Cons- Freeman and Weston are supposed to be our best 2 players and they did more harm than good. If we have any chances of winning games that has to change.
It got better when they went with 2 bigs in the second half but the Malik/Hutch at the 4 was a disaster. Quinnipiac’s bigs had some hulking upper bodies but that’s a bad sign for later in the schedule.
Shooting… I mean come on.
Did they give up THREE offensive rebounds on missed free free throws that were kicked out for 3 pointers? That basically erases how bad they were from the line.

I was hoping Archie was just engaging in some coach speak and hoping to lower expectations to exceed them but turns out he was spot on. They are not a good team right now. Hopefully that changes before the year is over. Overall I was frustrated by the shooting but this team was a much MUCH better watch than what we’ve had the last 2 years.
4 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah very disappointed in seeing this team

Freeman was really bad and his body is very frail I hope it was just a bad game as most of us thought he’d lead the team in scoring

I definitely think we’ll finish below .500 but not sure how much below
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Count me among those who really hadn't expected we would lose this game.

Some thoughts:

— I do wish they had scheduled a D-2 or D-3 school for an exhibition before this game — I'm not going to blame the loss on the fact that they didn't, but I believe a group of players who had mostly never played a game together before tonight would have benefited.

— It was nice to see timeouts being taken at appropriate times, and set plays being run efficiently after those timeouts. There was a lot to be frustrated with tonight, but not with the in-game coaching.

— Too soon to evaluate Freeman — that early foul trouble made it impossible to get an accurate read — but I'm so far happy with my pick for leading scorer (Martin).

— I could do without Rory taking those outside shots, especially when they aren't falling. Otherwise, I think he surpassed my expectations.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Not shocked we struggled, but I would have assumed we would have enough talent that could just will us to a win regardless. Just shows we have a good bit to go.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Stop making excuses for poor play and a lack of talent. Archie fan club members were drinking the kool-aid. We lost to Q tonight in our warm-up game.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bill Koch @BillKoch25
8h
Miller -- 'This year's group is challenged...in making shots.'
'I am pleased with the 29 free throw attempts. Making 16 is not what you want.' #Bill Koch

Except Quinnipiac hit only 9-25 for 36% FTs. We hit 55% FTs.

2-17 on 3FGs hurt
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Not shocked we struggled, but I would have assumed we would have enough talent that could just will us to a win regardless. Just shows we have a good bit to go.
I think the problem is we don’t have overwhelming shooting talent. We do have guys who in theory should be able to out-defense a lower level team but that will take time to gel a little. You saw that start to come together when they made a run to close the gap in 2nd half. Ultimately Archie needs to get them playing like that for close to 40 minutes and they we can survive on “average” shooting.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not totally surprised because I felt this was going to be a very competitive game, but I did think we would win just based on talent alone.

Maybe an actual exhibition game would have helped to alleviate some of the first game jitters with this young team. I am hoping that's what it was, and we see much improvement in our next game.

Archie putting together this somewhat easier schedule makes a lot of sense for this group.
We will still struggle, and I don't expect us to have a winning record this season.

Let's hope they can turn it around the next couple of games before going to the Cayman Classic.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

‘Let’s go Brandon……’?
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago ‘Let’s go Brandon……’?
:roll:
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Haven't been participating on the board much during the off-season other than checking in now and then...so hi everyone.

Anyway, one thing that strikes me as a huge over-arching positive is that Archie is not going to play favorites with starting line-up and I really doubt he is beholden to any one player or the player's parents in terms of "guaranteed" minutes. To me that's refreshing.

Looking forward to watching the development, and repeating "serenity now!" in my head...
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I remember reading here someone said if we initially start 3 kids from last year, we’d be in trouble.

Well, we started 4…
3 x
Go Rhody
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Next morning take-

1. Bassy is a good point guard. He isn't Jeff Dowtin, but he is the next best pure point we have had in a while IMHO.

2. Archie Miller did make an in game coaching mistake. He played 1 big at a time for the first 25 minutes of the game while Q #24 killed us. He admitted in the post game that he should have gone bigger sooner.

3. If Weston was hurt I will give him a pass, but his body language was terrible. No energy, head down, and didn't seem to care.

4. Bray was pulled for not only the 2 quick fouls, but again for the terrible decision making. Poor shot selection and driving into traffic.

5. Why does is always seem like Rhody guards are on the smaller side. Both height and strength...

6. Jalen Carey needs to model his game after Marcus Smart. I think he could be a shut down defender and phenomenal rebounder at guard if he were to accept that role.

7. This was game 1. We will lose some head scratchers, but we will pull out some surprising wins too. We all knew this coming into the season.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

How many games do we think Archie will go with Freeman off the ball? This is a non rhetorical question.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i think i have the archie miller effect going on in my mind.. and i hope i am not wrong

in the past i would have blasted cox for losing to QU but i believe in this coach and excited just to be started

i believe we will be vastly improving as the season goes along
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago Haven't been participating on the board much during the off-season other than checking in now and then...so hi everyone.

Anyway, one thing that strikes me as a huge over-arching positive is that Archie is not going to play favorites with starting line-up and I really doubt he is beholden to any one player or the player's parents in terms of "guaranteed" minutes. To me that's refreshing.

Looking forward to watching the development, and repeating "serenity now!" in my head...
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

FWIW: in their loss to Harvard last night Lady Rams shot 38.9% from 3.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

rut-roh.

my expectations on this season were low to begin with.

this did nothing to change that.
0 x
:lol:
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Did anyone else find it hard if not impossible to make out the names on the back of our jerseys? Font is too narrow coupled with the light lettering.
7 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ugly game. But anyway....Dan Yorke actually made me feel uncomfortable when he was screaming into his mic. He's got to understand we're not there to see him make an ass out of himself....cringe worthy.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Did anyone else find it hard if not impossible to make out the names on the back of our jerseys? Font is too narrow coupled with the light lettering.
Yes, even from my seat, old eyes, etc. difficult to see, but liked the Keaney Blue lighter color
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Ugly game. But anyway....Dan Yorke actually made me feel uncomfortable when he was screaming into his mic. He's got to understand we're not there to see him make an ass out of himself....cringe worthy.
Yes, exactly. During and after one of his awful Samb calls, the staffer at the table to his right kinda looked at Yorke with a sorta smile and a look of you gotta be kidding me, Just call the facts Dan, name number etc no ups, no extras, this is not an NBA circus. I guess the deciders that keep him behind the PA mic don’t see his act as a needless distraction.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Hey everyone!

Popping in for my semi-annual post on KB just to respond to some of the comments in the thread…

This is my 15th season as the hype man/MC for Rhody and considering the fact I started my senior year…yes, that means I am in fact in my mid 30s.

It’s also true that I’m getting old and the students should be running the Ruckus themselves.

The good news is that amongst the many fresh changes that Marketing is implementing for Gameday (including a bunch that we debuted last night including new/fresh games, promotions, bigger prizes, new cheers etc.) is that we now have a Ruckus Student Leadership group that will begin carrying the torch to organize & lead all things Ruckus.

Last night was the group’s first game & were in “observation” mode and as the season progresses they’ll be running the show for the Ruckus allowing me to take a step back from those duties so I can focus on my usual pre- & in-game duties on the mic.

I’ve got maybe another season or two before I (for real this time) “retire” and establishing an organized student leadership group now is a great first step to ensure that when I do leave, the Ruckus will thrive.

(Oh and for anyone who wants to hear me do PA, come to some Women’s games - I’ll be back handling PA for 8 home games this season.)

As far as the team goes - in the immortal words of Jim Baron you gotta trust DA PROCESS! I’m sure Archie will get us where we need to be it’s just not gonna happen overnight & expect this team to get better and better as the season progresses.

GO RHODY!!!!
9 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

There was 1 fantastic new cheer featuring Rhody that was NBA arena quality. Sadly that was the only thing NBA level quality in the arena last night.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago I remember reading here someone said if we initially start 3 kids from last year, we’d be in trouble.

Well, we started 4…
I think that was me. I at least said some version of that, and I'm sure others have to. So far...NOT looking promising. :lol:
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If Weston comes in next game and drops 20+ on them and leads us to our first victory of the season...

Let's go, Brandon! .. cheer, could become a legitimate thing here
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

To be honest - I'm not as sullen as most on here.

I mean...in my wildest dreams did I ever think in any year that URI should lose to Quinnipiac? No. But let me welcome you into my spinzone:

This is a rebuild year. My expectations are to watch this team grow and get better as the year goes on. I fully expect this to be the worst we shoot all year, but I also expect this to be the first of many frustrating losses that we could've very easily won. I don't think anyone needs Archie to "prove" he's a great coach. He's got the pedigree and experience, so he's earned the patience. Buckle up and enjoy the ride. If we suffered through 4 years of Cox decline, I'm more than happy to get on the train early and watch Arch build us up. You can already start to see some of his fingerprints, even if we don't have the talent to support it yet.

The good:

2) The offense. I thought the offense looked AWESOME (minus of course the turnovers and putrid shooting). But what I mean is the sets, playcalling, and motion. We generated an enormous amount of open looks, open shots, and forced a lot of defenders to abandon their posts. It was refreshing to see and the first time in 4 years we had the whole team in motion looking to create mismatches and make plays. That said, the shooting was disgusting. I find it hard to believe that we'll continue to shoot that poorly. There were 3 shots that were 3/4 the way down the cylinder and bounced out.

3) Transition. This was fun. Lot of fast break points. Guys running in space, looking to pass, finishing and having trailers to clean up any misses. That was what we were promised and once this team figures it out, that transition offense is going to gut other teams.

4) Tchikou. He's going to be very obviously our best defensive player since Hassan. He altered everything in his airspace that he didn't block. Honestly I thought he was our best overall player last night. For a freshman he has all the tools, it'll just take some development.

5) Martin. Looked like a leader. Hit some big shots. Would like him to make better decisions and not get addicted to shooting from deep - even though he hit our only 2 3's on the night. He does need to take care of the ball though - 4 TO's is terrible.

6) Carey. He showed a lot of flashes of potential. Hopefully he builds on that.

The bad:

1) Free throws. I mean it was between this or 3 point shooting as #1. But these are FREE. I have no problem with your bigs shooting poorly - but your starting guards (Bassy/Ish) can't be shooting 66% from the line. Period. The guards missed EIGHT freethrows which is pretty unacceptable.

2) 3's. I mean...I'm going to trust Archie when he says our guys can hit 3's and that's what he's recruiting for, and maybe it was just nerves. But holy crap. 2/17? 11%? Jesus. Like they got open shots. They had great looks. I thought most of those attempts were in rhythm, open, and good shots. Just missed. Granted Bassy doesn't look like a shooter. I trust Archie in his assessment, but I've never seen Bassy look good shooting in a game situation. 0/4 from deep overshadowed a pretty steady game from him in the PG spot.

3) Turnovers. Yuck. 19 turnovers is abysmal in any game. Against Quinnipiac? Unconscionable. Literally everyone on the roster turned the ball over except for Tchikou.

4) Freeman. Idk what that was, but to say disappointing is an understatement. He looked lost and overwhelmed...against Quinnipiac. He was A10 all rookie team. But he was BAD. Lot of fouls. Not a lot of minutes. 0/5.

5) Weston. Equally disappointing, though he was having back spasms so that's a big part of it.

6) The PA system and speakers. Did we really have to blow everyone's ear drums out? I have a ringing in my ears like I was at a concert. Can we turn it down a bit? I promise we can still hear the music and Dan - but it would be nice to talk to my neighbor without shouting as loud as I can. What's the point of having a DJ in the arena if we can't handle basic sound modulation on the fly?

Wouldn't mind more pep band. They sounded good. If we're going to play jock jams from 04, I'd rather hear the band.

All in all I'm still encouraged. I have zero expectations except to get better. We have the right guy in the coaches chair to figure that out. Hurley started 0-1 here (actually 0-5). Dave Cox started 1-0. At least that stat aligns well.

Carry on, Go Rhody.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It could be worse… imagine if transfers weren’t immediately available now. Imagine if Freeman, Weston, and Tchikou had to go full Biggie, Biruta, and Reischel and had to sit there and watch and you couldn’t even figure out what the team really had.

I’m attributing Freeman’s bad game, for now, to quick foul trouble, sitting, and then trying to make up a full game in a half.

I know Providence fans are annoying. I had not counted on the Indiana/Indiana State game fans showing up on social media and being equally annoying.
Last edited by ace 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.
6 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It was ugly, but this was just a test to separate the wheat from the chaff in terms of seeing who is going to freak out after one game.

I do think that last night's game showed that certain players should not be on the floor at the same time and that some were more effective than others, and that certain combinations of players produced better results however.

This somehow reminds me of a few of the Al Skinner years, when you had a team full of unknowns and it took several games before a clear starting five and rotation started to manifest itself out of thin air.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago To be honest - I'm not as sullen as most on here.

I mean...in my wildest dreams did I ever think in any year that URI should lose to Quinnipiac? No. But let me welcome you into my spinzone:

This is a rebuild year. My expectations are to watch this team grow and get better as the year goes on. I fully expect this to be the worst we shoot all year, but I also expect this to be the first of many frustrating losses that we could've very easily won. I don't think anyone needs Archie to "prove" he's a great coach. He's got the pedigree and experience, so he's earned the patience. Buckle up and enjoy the ride. If we suffered through 4 years of Cox decline, I'm more than happy to get on the train early and watch Arch build us up. You can already start to see some of his fingerprints, even if we don't have the talent to support it yet.

The good:

2) The offense. I thought the offense looked AWESOME (minus of course the turnovers and putrid shooting). But what I mean is the sets, playcalling, and motion. We generated an enormous amount of open looks, open shots, and forced a lot of defenders to abandon their posts. It was refreshing to see and the first time in 4 years we had the whole team in motion looking to create mismatches and make plays. That said, the shooting was disgusting. I find it hard to believe that we'll continue to shoot that poorly. There were 3 shots that were 3/4 the way down the cylinder and bounced out.

3) Transition. This was fun. Lot of fast break points. Guys running in space, looking to pass, finishing and having trailers to clean up any misses. That was what we were promised and once this team figures it out, that transition offense is going to gut other teams.

4) Tchikou. He's going to be very obviously our best defensive player since Hassan. He altered everything in his airspace that he didn't block. Honestly I thought he was our best overall player last night. For a freshman he has all the tools, it'll just take some development.

5) Martin. Looked like a leader. Hit some big shots. Would like him to make better decisions and not get addicted to shooting from deep - even though he hit our only 2 3's on the night. He does need to take care of the ball though - 4 TO's is terrible.

6) Carey. He showed a lot of flashes of potential. Hopefully he builds on that.

The bad:

1) Free throws. I mean it was between this or 3 point shooting as #1. But these are FREE. I have no problem with your bigs shooting poorly - but your starting guards (Bassy/Ish) can't be shooting 66% from the line. Period. The guards missed EIGHT freethrows which is pretty unacceptable.

2) 3's. I mean...I'm going to trust Archie when he says our guys can hit 3's and that's what he's recruiting for, and maybe it was just nerves. But holy crap. 2/17? 11%? Jesus. Like they got open shots. They had great looks. I thought most of those attempts were in rhythm, open, and good shots. Just missed. Granted Bassy doesn't look like a shooter. I trust Archie in his assessment, but I've never seen Bassy look good shooting in a game situation. 0/4 from deep overshadowed a pretty steady game from him in the PG spot.

3) Turnovers. Yuck. 19 turnovers is abysmal in any game. Against Quinnipiac? Unconscionable. Literally everyone on the roster turned the ball over except for Tchikou.

4) Freeman. Idk what that was, but to say disappointing is an understatement. He looked lost and overwhelmed...against Quinnipiac. He was A10 all rookie team. But he was BAD. Lot of fouls. Not a lot of minutes. 0/5.

5) Weston. Equally disappointing, though he was having back spasms so that's a big part of it.

6) The PA system and speakers. Did we really have to blow everyone's ear drums out? I have a ringing in my ears like I was at a concert. Can we turn it down a bit? I promise we can still hear the music and Dan - but it would be nice to talk to my neighbor without shouting as loud as I can. What's the point of having a DJ in the arena if we can't handle basic sound modulation on the fly?

Wouldn't mind more pep band. They sounded good. If we're going to play jock jams from 04, I'd rather hear the band.

All in all I'm still encouraged. I have zero expectations except to get better. We have the right guy in the coaches chair to figure that out. Hurley started 0-1 here (actually 0-5). Dave Cox started 1-0. At least that stat aligns well.

Carry on, Go Rhody.
It was difficult to get much of what you describe from the Varsity stream. Much appreciated. And, thank you to others with firsthand descriptions.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I think Archie said something similar to this, but my thought on Freeman was that he was way too jacked up from the opening tip and played out of control. That caused the dumb fouls and then the pressing in the second half. He'll be fine. Maybe a few extra deep breaths during the pregame intros next time.
5 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Can Connor come now? Man we need his shooting….

2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING