22-23 Starting Five

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 22-23 Starting Five

Unread post by adam914 »

And now add Foumena being out this year to. Front court will be a work in progress for a while I think.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That dude isn’t going to get anymore staff interviews if he leaks info. It’s fun for fans to hear stuff, but coaches have a way they like to go about things and the official journalists covering the team kind of have to follow along with that.

In theory, I love keeping a roster spot open for flexibility during the season to pick up a mid-year transfer or a re-class. In practice, things happen like an injury and an academic ineligibility and a redshirt and all of a sudden you’re starting the season with 10 players.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The “October depth” seems to be whittled away at……no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody Instagram just made a post about him yesterday, timing is weird. Guess that means Tichikou is the starting 5?
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Rhody Instagram just made a post about him yesterday, timing is weird. Guess that means Tichikou is the starting 5?
Yes, process of elimination.
Although he probably has the most talent of the group, still not sure the 5 is his most natural position.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

For better or worse I think this helps the staff determine what they have in Samb, Tichikou and Rory.

If you had two others bigs in the mix everyone’s like splitting hairs of minutes and can be more difficult for any of them to be comfortable
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rory started in the scrimmage. It sounds like he may be our starting center.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Rory started in the scrimmage. It sounds like he may be our starting center.
That is exciting and also terrifying.
2 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

We have players at 6'11, 6'11, and 6'10, and none and it seems none will start at the five for different reasons. Wth man.
0 x
GO RAMS
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Rory started in the scrimmage. It sounds like he may be our starting center.
He could be starting at the 4.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago
Yes, he could be. But that would mean he would be starting with another player like a Tchikou or Samb. Our strengths are in the guard position. Archie has said the best strength of our team right now is our speed. That leads me to believe we will play a 3 guard lineup. There is no way Malik is coming off the bench, so I think he has to be the starting 4. Maybe i'm wrong..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago
Yes, he could be. But that would mean he would be starting with another player like a Tchikou or Samb. Our strengths are in the guard position. Archie has said the best strength of our team right now is our speed. That leads me to believe we will play a 3 guard lineup. There is no way Malik is coming off the bench, so I think he has to be the starting 4. Maybe i'm wrong..
I think that’s a reasonable take. I was only trying to make the point that we really don’t know and he could play the 4, or 5, or maybe even the three down the road.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't know what position Rory is playing, but I'll repeat what I heard at a football game a few weeks ago. Word is that he is REALLY good. So, it doesn't surprise me that he's starting, even with some guys out.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I don't know what position Rory is playing, but I'll repeat what I heard at a football game a few weeks ago. Word is that he is REALLY good. So, it doesn't surprise me that he's starting, even with some guys out.
I'm just looking forward to a big who can consistently hit the 3.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Rory is you man Pete.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I don't know what position Rory is playing, but I'll repeat what I heard at a football game a few weeks ago. Word is that he is REALLY good. So, it doesn't surprise me that he's starting, even with some guys out.

This was the game that impressed me the most. We all know he can hit the 3 but his footwork in the post was impressive.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago

I am just looking forward to a big who can post-up on the blocks, rebound and defend the paint.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago

I am just looking forward to a big who can post-up on the blocks, rebound and defend the paint.
We have had bigs like that. Makhel was a great shot blocker. What we haven't had in a while is a big man that can help stretch the floor. A skilled big. A big that may not be the most athletic but has a high IQ, great footwork, and a knockdown shooter. I think Rory will help this team on the offensive end immediately. He may be abused on the defensive end until he improves his speed and strength. He'll be fun to watch as we see him progress.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We have had bigs like that. Makhel was a great shot blocker. What we haven't had in a while is a big man that can help stretch the floor. A skilled big. A big that may not be the most athletic but has a high IQ, great footwork, and a knockdown shooter. I think Rory will help this team on the offensive end immediately. He may be abused on the defensive end until he improves his speed and strength. He'll be fun to watch as we see him progress.
You're telling me that everyone hated Makhi taking pull up 25 footers like he was Durant?
6 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Saw Foumena, Stewart and Leggett at Saturday’s game vs Elon. Heard some nice things about Hutchinson at the game.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

This squad has both. Should be great.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago

This squad has both. Should be great.
TBD.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Guess we will find out Monday
No definite word on Foumena redshirting yet
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

In the words of Al Davis…Just win, baby. Can’t lose to the mighty Quinn’s at home. I say we win by 5-10 in the end,
but it will be tight for most of the game because it’s our first game, have some new faces to integrate and we are short handed.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Miller reiterated last night that Foumena will redshirt.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Ramulous, did Arch give any insight into what led to the decision?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

He did. Said he got a late start here and things along those lines. Didn’t mention any health issues.
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago He did. Said he got a late start here and things along those lines. Didn’t mention any health issues.
Unfortunate situation as he looks like he can play and contribute (and has been practicing) Questionable reasoning in my opinion as typically its an injury or coaches decision based on development, not their own decision.
0 x
GO RAMS
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago He did. Said he got a late start here and things along those lines. Didn’t mention any health issues.
Unfortunate situation as he looks like he can play and contribute (and has been practicing) Questionable reasoning in my opinion as typically its an injury or coaches decision based on development, not their own decision.
I listened to Archie's explanation and logic. It made great sense to me.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If the coaches thought he could play and contribute this year, he would not be redshirting, if he’s academically eligible. Whether or not he’s still at URI for his fifth year of college remains to be seen and depends on his development.

I guess it’s Freeman, Weston, Carey, Martin, Tchikou to start? All transfers, all the time. The rebuild has to start somewhere!
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote: 1 year ago
If the coaches thought he could play and contribute this year, he would not be redshirting, if he’s academically eligible. Whether or not he’s still at URI for his fifth year of college remains to be seen and depends on his development.

I guess it’s Freeman, Weston, Carey, Martin, Tchikou to start? All transfers, all the time. The rebuild has to start somewhere!
I’ll choose to also interpret it as a positive reflection of the status and development of our other bigs. Coaching staff must like what they’ve seen from Tchikou, Samb and Rory. With confidence in Bilaus injury recovery and ability to make an immediate impact
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

I’ll choose to also interpret it as a positive reflection of the status and development of our other bigs. Coaching staff must like what they’ve seen from Tchikou, Samb and Rory. With confidence in Bilaus injury recovery and ability to make an immediate impact
Also might have something to do with Kenny's situation. Does give us another body for a longer time.

We hired the right coach, so I'm in the mood to trust the guy.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

That is certainly the most optimistic take, and I won’t take that away from you.

It also has zero to do with Kenny’s situation. No one in college basketball is making decisions now based on 2026-27.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Guess we will find out Monday
Interesting Bill Koch trying to get the starting line up and Archie does not give it.
Stealth.
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Interesting Bill Koch trying to get the starting line up and Archie does not give it.
Stealth.
He talked about it during the radio show. Still deciding. He said it's been difficult to determine the right combination because of all of the injuries/illness. I think he mentioned that the entire team has only been able to practice together a handful of times.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Stealth.
He talked about it during the radio show. Still deciding. He said it's been difficult to determine the right combination because of all of the injuries/illness. I think he mentioned that the entire team has only been able to practice together a handful of times.
Yep,
Steve Mac tried to ask him about his starting 5 and if he had landed on one yet and Archie said "Absolutely Not". Stealth. Keep 'em guessing.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I love hearing about his practice points/gold jersey system. Good to hear about how he expects his guys to earn time.

That can squash a lot of "im not playing enough" issues when you can put a leaderboard to it.

Also - wow. 3 point shooting 1) Bray, 2) Bassy, 3) Carey, 4) Rory, 5) Lou - though he did clarify that with zero game reps that doesn't mean anything for 4/5.

Also - wow. Best ball handlers - 1) Bassy, 2) Bray, 3) Carey - what the hell happened last year that we missed??
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Same here Blue Man

On the 3 Point Shooting he listed Freeman, Thomas and Carey as Steve asked for his Top 3. He added in Rory and Lou but qualified these two because they have not played a game yet.

No hesitation at all in naming his Top 3 in the 3 Point Shooting category. High on Thomas for Shooting and Ball Handling.

He was high on Freeman on the Offensive end but he stayed away from comments about Freeman's defense - led to believe Freeman has work to do on the defensive end.

Also loved hearing how they record the results of every shot in practice by every player. They track the results. They use the results in part to determine who should start and how to allocate minutes.

On rebounding he was quick to bring up Malik Martin's name.

Martin won the Gold Jersey two consecutive weeks. Guys try to keep the Gold Jersey.

Great listen.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Sounds like Bassy is going to play a much bigger role than a lot of people here think. I love the way he sees the floor and distributes. If what Archie is saying about his 3 point shot is true, Bassy will be a very good player.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I love hearing about his practice points/gold jersey system. Good to hear about how he expects his guys to earn time.

That can squash a lot of "im not playing enough" issues when you can put a leaderboard to it.

Also - wow. 3 point shooting 1) Bray, 2) Bassy, 3) Carey, 4) Rory, 5) Lou - though he did clarify that with zero game reps that doesn't mean anything for 4/5.

Also - wow. Best ball handlers - 1) Bassy, 2) Bray, 3) Carey - what the hell happened last year that we missed??
If Carey is the third best shooter and ballhandler then he could be scary.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I’ll need to see it to believe in on Bassys 3pt shooting

Shot 21% last year, and half of those teams were leaving him wide open
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Sounds like Bassy is going to play a much bigger role than a lot of people here think. I love the way he sees the floor and distributes. If what Archie is saying about his 3 point shot is true, Bassy will be a very good player.
I got the sense, too, 78, that Bassy could play a bigger role. Or, more than I expected, anyway.

I also found it interesting on how Archie talked some about how he thinks Carey can succeed on the offensive end by posting him up more.

Towards the end, when Archie was talking about how he felt the team will get better with time and could do some big things towards the end of the season, I thought he sounded “almost” ECR-ish. If he had started singing I would have crapped my pants! Hahahaha!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Sounds like Bassy is going to play a much bigger role than a lot of people here think. I love the way he sees the floor and distributes. If what Archie is saying about his 3 point shot is true, Bassy will be a very good player.
I got the sense, too, 78, that Bassy could play a bigger role. Or, more than I expected, anyway.

I also found it interesting on how Archie talked some about how he thinks Carey can succeed on the offensive end by posting him up more.

Towards the end, when Archie was talking about how he felt the team will get better with time and could do some big things towards the end of the season, I thought he sounded “almost” ECR-ish. If he had started singing I would have crapped my pants! Hahahaha!
Well, he was in a band before he started coaching. :lol:

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Even though Archie isn't willing to spill the beans on this yet, I agree with Ace on the starting 5.
Bray, Carey, Weston, Martin, Alex.

Bassy, Ish, Rory, and Samb will probably all get double-digit minutes off the bench.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Even though Archie isn't willing to spill the beans on this yet, I agree with Ace on the starting 5.
Bray, Carey, Weston, Martin, Alex.

Bassy, Ish, Rory, and Samb will probably all get double-digit minutes off the bench.
I could see them going with Thomas over Weston, though, if they’re really that concerned about Quinnipiac’s guards on defense and want another ball handler.

It’s great to hear how they’re all stacking up against each other in practice, let’s see what happens when they match up against guys in different jerseys. I think Archie’s trying to get the right mix of level setting expectations while also encouraging people to get out and support.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Based on Archie's comments about the team yesterday, I think we should revisit this.

1. Bray
2. Carey
3. Weston
4. Martin
5. Tchikou

I'm sticking with the same starting five I had a few weeks ago.

These are the 8 players that I think will get the most minutes...
1. Bray
2. Carey
3. Weston
4. Martin
5. Tchikou
6th- Bassy
7th- Rory
8th - Ish

Samb may play if we have foul trouble. Maybe he had a bad game but I thought he and Ish were the weakest players at the scrimmage.

I was very impressed by Parnell Pierre. It was clear Jimmy Ball was a walk-on. PIerre looked like he belonged... He has a nice handle. His 3 pt shot was pretty. He had a nice running layup. I thought he held his own on the defensive end as well. For a team that lacks shooting, maybe Archie will give him a few minutes to see if he can make an impact... Probably not.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Based on Archie's comments about the team yesterday, I think we should revisit this.

1. Bray
2. Carey
3. Weston
4. Martin
5. Tchikou

I'm sticking with the same starting five I had a few weeks ago.

These are the 8 players that I think will get the most minutes...
1. Bray
2. Carey
3. Weston
4. Martin
5. Tchikou
6th- Bassy
7th- Rory
8th - Ish

Samb may play if we have foul trouble. Maybe he had a bad game but I thought he and Ish were the weakest players at the scrimmage.

I was very impressed by Parnell Pierre. It was clear Jimmy Ball was a walk-on. PIerre looked like he belonged... He has a nice handle. His 3 pt shot was pretty. He had a nice running layup. I thought he held his own on the defensive end as well. For a team that lacks shooting, maybe Archie will give him a few minutes to see if he can make an impact... Probably not.
Yes Stevey, you did have that starting line-up several weeks ago and yeah I agree.
I think Samb will get decent minutes because they currently lack depth in the paint.
Also Rory can be that stretch 4 we need.

Again Archie sees these players every day and difficult for us to speculate just based off that scrimmage.
Especially since Archie said he worked them very hard in the earlier practice.
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I would like to ask what happened to Ish. He is going into his Junior year and he is the 8th man on the mins list
What happened
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I wouldn’t expect much out of Rory. FR learning curve esp on defensive end is steep. Again if he can contribute 7-10 minutes/night and knock down a couple that’s gravy. I wouldn’t expect much more than that.

Have heard Bassy got stronger and from the videos it does look like he tweaked his release a bit…used to shoot it from center of his body similar to Lonzo Ball. Was tough to tell in videos but did look like he had moved it over closer to his left shoulder where it should be. I think Bassy will thrive under Archie- he does all the things a coach likes. My guess is he’s getting 20 mins a night.

I’m sticking with Bray, Carey, Weston, Malik, Tchikou as my starting lineup. Bassy, Ish, Rory off the bench. I think eventually Bilau is our starting center once healthy.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Well, he was in a band before he started coaching. :lol:

Tremendous! :lol:
0 x