Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by Blue Man »

I’m not sure this is as big a concern - because he was already hired.

The language in a “show cause” penalty is reflective of preventing the hiring of a coach.

And it does provide a pathway to appeals, I.e. can Rhode Island “show cause” that KJ has been complying with the rules,etc.

A lot of unanswered questions right now.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... iarp-case/

"It was Johnson who was alleged to have helped influence former five-star prospect Brian Bowen's recruitment to Louisville in 2017. Bowen's father testified in federal court that Johnson arranged for a $1,300 payment. According to the IARP's findings, Johnson misled investigators during their probe, dating back to 2019. It was an aggravating factor in their decision to hand down the show-cause order."
Hahahah oh no 1300 dollars?!?!?!?
3 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Need a dedicated thread on this one IMHO with related posts moved over.

Of course mods call just my opinion. Pretty huge story.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Tough news for the program. Upside down justice where the leaders of cheating programs walk while those under their authority suffer.

But, as an outside observer and non-expert in the baffling world of the NCAA, there are still unanswered questions as Blue Man indicated above. That said, I will hold out hope for an appeal, a reduced punishment as this clown show process of the NCAA plays out.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Need a dedicated thread on this one IMHO with related posts moved over.

I agree and liked that someone started a thread about this. Felt cleaner than tacking it on to this thread
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Tough news for the program. Upside down justice where the leaders of cheating programs walk while those under their authority suffer.

But, as an outside observer and non-expert in the baffling world of the NCAA, there are still unanswered questions as Blue Man indicated above. That said, I will hold out hope for an appeal, a reduced punishment as this clown show process of the NCAA plays out.
Appeals are not allowed in this case, this is final. So for the next two years he can't attend or evaluate at any of the permissible spring and summer evaluation period live activity events. Seems like he could still help recruiting while a recruit is on campus or reach out to recruits if I'm reading right. That said, is that enough for him to be effective at his job and be an asset to the coaching staff?
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This thread being kicked up got me reading the D rob discussion from months ago. Love that guy. He could make 3 impossible plays in 10 seconds to win a game at the end. He was the John McClain of the baron era Rams.Wait Dawan Robinson just stole the ball and hit a 3 to win the game?!???!?! Yippie ki yay mf :shock:
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

The Brian Bowen’s recruitment now has caused 2 coaches with ties to URI to get a 2-Year Show Cause punishment, Preston Murphy at Creighton and now KJ.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

The craziest thing about all this is that URI will get hit the hardest from all this. Not Louisville or Pitino or anyone else involved in this whole thing. Crazy that URI will most likely take the biggest punishment from these violations that had nothing to do with them.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago In the locked thread someone mentioned this comes down on Archie and Thorr to an extent. I would love to know what changed or what they didn't know that made them think Johnson was in the clear while now he's getting dinged with a show cause
Yup, that was me.

This 100% falls on Archie and Thorr to a certain degree.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Does this mean he gets fired and we're looking for a new assistant coach 4 days before the season starts? I also wonder about the kids he recruited here and the ones he was currently recruiting here ('23s, 24s, 25s). Do any of them bail?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

CBS article says Kenny misled NCAA investigators.

If he lied to Thorr and Archie just to get hired, he should be fired.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks, for the clarification Rhowdy. No appeals. That blows.

Good question above, if you are reading it correctly. I understand the restrictions same as you, so maybe we aren’t too far off - if at all.

As to your question, I could sit here, from my limited perspective, and think of the pluses and minuses of keeping him in the program. But, many here can do a better job than me at that.

I am sure Archie, Thorr and Kenny are deeply pondering your question this morning. I trust they will do what’s best for the program.

It sucks. A shit tsunami to start the day.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Since he can’t recruit, there’s really no point in keeping him here.
0 x
Go Rhody
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Since he can’t recruit, there’s really no point in keeping him here.
Brayon is our top player the next 3 years. I wouldn't say there's "no point", but I get what you mean.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’m wondering if URI Thorr Miller ect really had no idea this was possible or not.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

15, if what you state above regarding lying to Thorr and/or Arch to obtain the job is correct, then I agree, firing is warranted.

A sucky situation all around but you do what’s best for the integrity of the program despite questionable integrity among some (probably many at the P5/P6 level) institutional peers and a flawed NCAA administration and move on.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Need a dedicated thread on this one IMHO with related posts moved over.

I agree and liked that someone started a thread about this. Felt cleaner than tacking it on to this thread
Ooops I missed that ATP already called it when I made my comment expressing my opinion

Thx.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
I assume this makes it more likely that he'll be kept on?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

The unseemly, dirty underbelly of the NCAA and major college sports programs exposed once again. How about that UK self-imposed four game suspension of Bill Self? What a joke.

The NCAA and the cartel of major programs are one big cesspool - nothing more than lipstick on a pig. And, my apologies to the four legged, curly tail pigs out there.

Don’t mind me. I am pretty disgusted this morning even with the tweet above regarding KJ and recruiting/coaching duties. Carry on.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

May get comment from URI later today:

1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This is good news!
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
This makes it sound maybe not quite as bad as feared. Still not good of course.
4 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

I just read the following. Maybe not so bad? "A source told CBS Sports that this means Johnson will be allowed to remain on staff as a full-time assistant coach, but he will be barred from recruiting during the live periods of April and July in 2023 and 2024."
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago I just read the following. Maybe not so bad? "A source told CBS Sports that this means Johnson will be allowed to remain on staff as a full-time assistant coach, but he will be barred from recruiting during the live periods of April and July in 2023 and 2024."
Yea, at first it was tweeted he wouldn’t be allowed to recruit at all.

Still can recruit during the season and attend high school games.

Not ideal, but not as bad as it initially sounded.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago The unseemly, dirty underbelly of the NCAA and major college sports programs exposed once again. How about that UK self-imposed four game suspension of Bill Self? What a joke.

The NCAA and the cartel of major programs are one big cesspool - nothing more than lipstick on a pig. And, my apologies to the four legged, curly tail pigs out there.

Don’t mind me. I am pretty disgusted this morning even with the tweet above regarding KJ and recruiting/coaching duties. Carry on.
KU case is still with the IARP (and like Louisville, they won't be able to appeal - that's the risk they ran when electing to have the IARP take the case rather than the NCAA although the IARP is handing out slaps on the wrist before disbanding so looks like the right choice) so they're hoping that they will only get a fine and maybe some recruiting limitations like the two previous punishments.

Seems like KJ missing live recruiting periods but can still go to HS games and such means he can still be somewhat effective in his role.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Another aspect that is very important in college basketball...the portal. I assume he will be able to visit kids in the portal and recruit them, as this only affects the live periods in which high school kids are playing? He'll still be able to do a good portion of his specialty...recruiting, right?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Oh my God, look at what the slime ball had to say about this.

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s not the greatest look for Kenny or URI. Not awful, just a little shady/icky. But holy hell is Pitino a piece of work.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 1 year ago It’s not the greatest look for Kenny or URI. Not awful, just a little shady/icky. But holy hell is Pitino a piece of work.
I'm hoping Kenny comes out and says something like he accepts the penalty, he has learned from it and he's ready to move on, just to acknowledge it rather than avoiding it.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Its a good hire in the long run. I guess were able to move on, we have a season about to begin.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Oh my God, look at what the slime ball had to say about this.

Fuck Rick Pitino then, now, and forever
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Well Pitino wanted the Rhode Island job, not surprised he’d take a passive aggressive shot are we?
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Some of the responses in this thread are fascinating. Since he can't recruit, there is no point of keeping him here? Are you serious? Do you have any knowledge of Coach Johnson as as, you know, basketball coach? Do you have any idea how he is as a mentor for the guys that are here? How is he at "recruiting his own guys" which in today's day just as important. But no, because he can't go to the EYBL there is no point of him being here?

We'll still use his recruiting connections. High Schools/AAU coaches still trust him and will send him kids. It wont be him on the baseline wearing the polo at the UA circuit, but his influence will be felt.

With that said, do we get to designate another coach to take his recruiting spot for those events? If so- My question is who goes on the road instead of him this Spring/Summer? It doesn't appear that Mccluskey, Sander or Cunningham have experience on the road.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Pitino is and has always been a sleezeball. I am glad, as I have numerous times stated in the past, URI stayed away from him.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago Some of the responses in this thread are fascinating. Since he can't recruit, there is no point of keeping him here? Are you serious? Do you have any knowledge of Coach Johnson as as, you know, basketball coach? Do you have any idea how he is as a mentor for the guys that are here? How is he at "recruiting his own guys" which in today's day just as important. But no, because he can't go to the EYBL there is no point of him being here?

We'll still use his recruiting connections. High Schools/AAU coaches still trust him and will send him kids. It wont be him on the baseline wearing the polo at the UA circuit, but his influence will be felt.

With that said, do we get to designate another coach to take his recruiting spot for those events? If so- My question is who goes on the road instead of him this Spring/Summer? It doesn't appear that Mccluskey, Sander or Cunningham have experience on the road.
100% Bos. His relationships with coaches/players won't end bc he has a show cause. He can still use a phone and leverage his network to land kids he just can't be the visible presence at the spring exposure events. My guess is depending on who we are looking at that either it's Archie, Duane or Austin that is the visible presence.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago Some of the responses in this thread are fascinating. Since he can't recruit, there is no point of keeping him here? Are you serious? Do you have any knowledge of Coach Johnson as as, you know, basketball coach? Do you have any idea how he is as a mentor for the guys that are here? How is he at "recruiting his own guys" which in today's day just as important. But no, because he can't go to the EYBL there is no point of him being here?

A lot of the responses were before we knew all of the details.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

My understanding is only the head coach and assistant coaches can go on the road to recruit, and they can't substitute someone else in, so they'll be operating a coach down during those periods
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI is now Cleveland State.

This now some 30 year old quote:

"The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, it's going to give Cleveland State two more years' probation."
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Not just before we knew all the details, but when the reporting was he was barred from recruiting. There's a big difference between he can't recruit for two years, which generated the responses laid out, and can't be involved in off campus evaluation for 4 of the next 24 months
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

At these live events that Kenny cannot attend, coaches can't have any personal contact with the players anyway. They are there only to be seen by a potential recruit. So, as far as recruiting goes, this isn't a big deal at all. If one of Kenny's recruits is playing in one of these events and it's a player that we want badly, Kenny can just text the recruit and say "Archie will be there to watch you today". The more I learn about this, the more relieved I am about it.
3 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Not just before we knew all the details, but when the reporting was he was barred from recruiting. There's a big difference between he can't recruit for two years, which generated the responses laid out, and can't be involved in off campus evaluation for 4 of the next 24 months
Hard disagree on both of the excuses in the previous two posts. It didn't matter that all the details weren't laid out. Even though he was the person hired to assist him in coaching, people felt that because he couldn't recruit he should be gone. They don't know his coaching ability. They don't know his role on the staff. They don't know his relationship with the current players or the other members of the staff. They felt that because he couldn't recruit, he has no value here. I am saying that I disagree with that premise.
0 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Oh my God, look at what the slime ball had to say about this.

I hate this slimeball.
2 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago

Hard disagree on both of the excuses in the previous two posts. It didn't matter that all the details weren't laid out. Even though he was the person hired to assist him in coaching, people felt that because he couldn't recruit he should be gone. They don't know his coaching ability. They don't know his role on the staff. They don't know his relationship with the current players or the other members of the staff. They felt that because he couldn't recruit, he has no value here. I am saying that I disagree with that premise.
But if he couldn't recruit at all, that would have left us at a severe disadvantage, not only leaving us one coach short to recruit, but losing one of the top recruiters in the country. I agree that he has a lot of other value to the team, but not being able to recruit at all would have been a severe blow.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

The fact that Miller immediately stepped up and confirmed employment status tells me all I need to know.

Let’s play basketball!

Go Rhody.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago The fact that Miller immediately stepped up and confirmed employment status tells me all I need to know.

Let’s play basketball!

Go Rhody.
Well, we better see some 4* recruits here soon.
0 x