Open scrimmage

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: Open scrimmage

Unread post by Rhody72 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago In a real game our opponent will have a plan to attack us on offense and guard us on defense.
I literally spit out my coffee when I read this the first time. Very funny…
"I think the team that scores the most points today has a great chance of winning this game." - John Madden
The point is there was no plan in this scrimmage as one would expect. What you saw in this scrimmage is not what will happen in a real game. Evaluate what you saw with this in mind in projecting how we will fare this season/
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Would like to know how someone here heard Stewart was “really good.”

Rory didn’t look like he’d make much of an impact for us this season, albeit it was a 20 minute scrimmage.

Freeman and Weston heads and shoulders above everyone else.
I watched Rory pretty closely. His fundamentals were not bad for a freshman big. He didn't do anything overtly bad. He did miss many shots though. It was nice when he finally dropped a three. His shooting technique seemed fine. Not sure if it's just being young and adjusting, nerves? But I would play him. Maybe not major minutes, but he needs minutes to grow. His presence under the rim was sound. Good rebounding. If he gets solid minutes this year, I hope to see progress. If we do see progress, I think he could be really good. He just needs confidence on his shots.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Wouldn’t expect much from either of our true FR.
If they can get 8-10 minutes a night and make some contributions it’s a success. Rarely are A10 frosh impact players unless they are the occasional 4 stars (ie Holmes, EC).

From the little intel I’m hearing thus far my best guess at starters would be Brayon, Carey, Weston, Malik plus a big (toss up based on who’s available). Bassy, Ish, Tchikou first 3 off bench. Agree you could see a lot of Bassy due to his playmaking but someone is gonna have to hit shots/score. I would guess we struggle offensively especially early on but the effort and attitude will be on point bc that’s how Archie rolls.

And unlike last year it will be a team I enjoy rooting for - win, lose or draw. Go Rhody!
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago My take away from the video was lots of missed shots, slow steady growth is still what I expect, mid to lower mid pack of conference.
Not sure if you were there but before the scrimmage, Archie said they already had an intense practice earlier in the day. The misses were all short and looked, to me, like a result of tired legs.
Makes sense then they were probably tired
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Archie said he wants the RC full for the Quinnipiac game. He's going to be very disappointed. The hangover from the past 4 years is still in effect. I'm hoping we get 5000.
Yes agreed, wonder if someone told Archie that shaking the trees in the dorms is needed to building student interest…..
I think it will be very interesting to see what the student turnout is Monday with no classes for Election Day on Tuesday. It could be a giant party atmosphere or it could be deserted
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This one is for students only. I'll be interested to hear how many show up.

1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Great idea! Games are best when there’s lots of students.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

When I was on campus as a student the magic word was “free”

If it’s FREE it was for me. The especially applied to free food.

Hopefully still true.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago When I was on campus as a student the magic word was “free”

If it’s FREE it was for me. The especially applied to free food.

Hopefully still true.
The free popcorn didn't get them there on Saturday. Hopefully the wings will be a little more enticing.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Any students here that can report on today's scrimmage for the students only?
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Only about 20 students showed up.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

DevRam wrote: 1 year ago Only about 20 students showed up.
They should've done a Rhody Madness... Sorry but going to an open practice isn't fun for students even with free food.
3 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
DevRam wrote: 1 year ago Only about 20 students showed up.
They should've done a Rhody Madness... Sorry but going to an open practice isn't fun for students even with free food.
Also was such a short notice a day before that I don’t think anyone even knew about
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Excuses, excuses.
0 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

Not a shocker. Most of these kids are so young now and many probably don’t even know who Archie is. The team hasn’t done anything yet. I would not expect large student turnout until we start to get some wins.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Excuses, excuses.
:lol: :lol: Oh shut up. Stop acting like students care about watching A PRACTICE after classes.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

:lol: :lol: Oh shut up. Stop acting like students care about watching A PRACTICE after classes.
How about caring about A GAME after classes. We'll see.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
You’re funny Billy. Comparing a regular practice to the season opener w/ a new coach and pretty much new team. Lots of unknowns, yes, but a game is a completely different experience than watching the players do drills :roll:
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You’re funny Billy. Comparing a regular practice to the season opener w/ a new coach and pretty much new team. Lots of unknowns, yes, but a game is a completely different experience than watching the players do drills :roll:
I'm guessing you're a student? What's the buzz on campus? Will the 1500 student seats be filled on Monday? Serious questions.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

I'm guessing you're a student? What's the buzz on campus? Will the 1500 student seats be filled on Monday? Serious questions.
Yes, I was last year. I don’t know what the buzz is like. I also have no clue what the student crowd will be like on Monday. The Ruckus needs to do their job to get them to games and the team needs to play well. If neither of those happen don’t expect good student attendance.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If only Rhody students cared as much as Grand Canyon students…
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Video is three years old, from when they won 22 games. They won 23 games in 2021-22, so they're not really comparable to URI at all, except that both teams play D-I basketball.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Video is three years old, from when they won 22 games. They won 23 games in 2021-22, so they're not really comparable to URI at all, except that both teams play D-I basketball.
Our student section wasn’t THAT crazy even when we were winning.

That’s before the game even started. Only time it’s like that is for PC.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Still confused as to why that school is so nuts lol.
1 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Could be the altitude. They are high…in relation to altitude. :D
0 x