2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by reef »

Who were our 5 starters v Yale ??
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Who were our 5 starters v Yale ??
The only thing I know for sure is we lost by 20. Rory's Orangeville prep coach said Rory started, so that's the only one we know started.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Who were our 5 starters v Yale ??
The only thing I know for sure is we lost by 20. Rory's Orangeville prep coach said Rory started, so that's the only one we know started.
I've poked around for a box score to that first secret scrimmage - even going to the lengths of registering for an Ivy League basketball forum - but I've come up empty so far. This only makes me want to see it more, of course, haha. Penn State is a big enough program that something should leak from them, since I'm not sure how much leaking we're going to get from the Good Ship URI this year.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If we lost to Yale by 20 in an official game, I'd be really concerned. This scrimmage may have been Archie giving some bottom of the roster players their opportunity to move up the ladder. Winning in the primary objective in real games, not scrimmages.
3 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Maybe this is on me, but I didn’t know the gold jersey thing was so literal.

5 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago If we lost to Yale by 20 in an official game, I'd be really concerned. This scrimmage may have been Archie giving some bottom of the roster players their opportunity to move up the ladder. Winning in the primary objective in real games, not scrimmages.
Archie strikes me as a guy who doesn't like losing if you're playing HORSE in the backyard, never mind exhibition games and what not. His last two years at Dayton, they beat the brakes out of Austin Peay, Alabama and Southeast Missouri State by 30+ points in season openers. And if it was simply a matter of playing every guy on the roster 15 to 25 minutes, I kind of imagine the box score would have come out already. (But, I realize I'm just speculating and spitballing here too.)
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Me thinks it is going to be a steady and slow uphill climb.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I am too, 105. My expectations are subdued and I am okay with that for this season as I think the program is moving in the right direction compared to the past few years. But, with the caveat that the team improves as the season goes along. I am excited to see the improvement during the season.

As to the Yale scrimmage, not much info to go on so I won’t jump to any conclusions other than that it may highlight for Archie, coaches and players what they need to work on, correct and avoid.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I don't think we lose to Yale at full strength, as we're missing 3-4 potential rotational players. It also could be the expected chemistry adjustment.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Archie strikes me as a guy who doesn't like losing if you're playing HORSE in the backyard, never mind exhibition games and what not. His last two years at Dayton, they beat the brakes out of Austin Peay, Alabama and Southeast Missouri State by 30+ points in season openers. And if it was simply a matter of playing every guy on the roster 15 to 25 minutes, I kind of imagine the box score would have come out already. (But, I realize I'm just speculating and spitballing here too.)
The Yale "scrimmage" does not even qualify as an exhibition game. The actual score has no bearing on what you are trying to accomplish. Winning is not the objective. The visiting team comes at their own expense. Scrimmages are not even the equivalent of exhibition games.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Got my tickets yesterday!!!! Games are coming soon!
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Got my tickets yesterday!!!! Games are coming soon!
Me
Too
Woo Hoo!!
Time for hoops!!!!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Me thinks it is going to be a steady and slow uphill climb.
i guess i am the only one then....

anyone else with me ?!?!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Me thinks it is going to be a steady and slow uphill climb.

anyone else with me ?!?!
as an early Archie Miller for URI Head Coach supporter, I am with you ECR. LET'S DO THIS!!!!!!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

atta boy - we’ll have fun drinking the kool aid vs Johnny rain clouds !

If we are wrong then so be it but I refuse to be doom and gloom before tip off
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

So apparently we got the shit kicked out of us by an Ivy League team. Am I missing anything?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago So apparently we got the shit kicked out of us by an Ivy League team. Am I missing anything?
Who cares

It’s a scrimmage where the rules, atmosphere, officials, etc don’t compare to the real thing.
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago

anyone else with me ?!?!
as an early Archie Miller for URI Head Coach supporter, I am with you ECR. LET'S DO THIS!!!!!!
Count me in…it’s happening fast
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 1 year ago Maybe this is on me, but I didn’t know the gold jersey thing was so literal.

This is great to see , looks like we really are getting the past legends to be around the team
4 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I assume the scrimmage vs Penn St is still on for today. I wonder if the results from this one will be as buttoned up as the one versus Yale. That one was truly secret.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

JimSidd wrote: 1 year ago I assume the scrimmage vs Penn St is still on for today. I wonder if the results from this one will be as buttoned up as the one versus Yale. That one was truly secret.
Would be nice if we get some news, but not expecting to hear much.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

JimSidd wrote: 1 year ago I assume the scrimmage vs Penn St is still on for today. I wonder if the results from this one will be as buttoned up as the one versus Yale. That one was truly secret.
This one will probably be tweeted somewhere since it’s against a P5 team. Jeff Goodman has been tweeting some stats from these scrimmages but said he doesn’t tweet scores due to various reasons.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Still no scrimmage news? Damn, I need a Rhody bb fix.

These scrimmages are as stealth like as our recruiting. Did Archie train with the CIA during his time off? :D
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

1 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
This team needs leaders. Hopefully Malik can be one of them. We are going to need an enforcer on court this year. Fearless, play clean and dominate. Can Malik step up and do it? I certainly would love to see it.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

After all…..”he is a Martin…….”
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RE Scrimmage

From https://247sports.com/college/penn-stat ... M196059893

M280s
Any word on how the scrimmage with Rhode Island went today?

psubball123
We won, that’s all I know
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Not great to lose both scrimmages. Also, I like Martin, but if he's the Gold Jersey winner for both games, I'm not sure that a good thing.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Not great to lose both scrimmages. Also, I like Martin, but if he's the Gold Jersey winner for both games, I'm not sure that a good thing.
Do we really even know what the criteria for the gold jersey is? Plus didn't he get his second one before the second scrimmage?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Not great to lose both scrimmages. Also, I like Martin, but if he's the Gold Jersey winner for both games, I'm not sure that a good thing.
Didn't expect to win this one, more curious to see how Archie distributed the minutes/line-up and how this team is coming together than the actual outcome.

Yeah I too would of liked one of the new players or someone besides Martin to be the stand out.
We know what to expect from him, a solid player but not star talent.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Do we even know what the gold jersey signifies? Could be hardest practice player. Could be related to the weight room. Could be academics. Does anybody really know?
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Do we even know what the gold jersey signifies? Could be hardest practice player. Could be related to the weight room. Could be academics. Does anybody really know?
Don't know but just coincidental we hear about it just after each of the scrimmages.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Still no scrimmage news? Damn, I need a Rhody bb fix.

These scrimmages are as stealth like as our recruiting. Did Archie train with the CIA during his time off? :D
The one thing I heard from Dayton fans after we hired Archie is that he's incredibly tight-lipped with pretty much everything (recruiting, scrimmages, player injury news, etc.) so this is the new normal.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody lost by 7 and played a much better game.

No idea who played what lineup we had or who played well, but it sounds like we were much better in this one.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks for the scrimmage intel, Stevey.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Still no scrimmage news? Damn, I need a Rhody bb fix.

The one thing I heard from Dayton fans after we hired Archie is that he's incredibly tight-lipped with pretty much everything (recruiting, scrimmages, player injury news, etc.) so this is the new normal.
Thanks for the info, SB. #StealthStaff 8-)
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago

Give me less for the message board if it means better on the court.

We'll continue to keep ourselves entertained!
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

FWIW, in pre-season predictions by knowledgeable Big Ten observers, Penn State is forecast to come in #11 in the 14 team league. Some have tabbed them as a potential surprise team.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

In two weeks we play Quinnipiac. I'll hold judgement until that game. We don't get an exhibition and a scrimmage isn't going to tell us much.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Goodman’s take on these scrimmages seems pretty fair-

2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Are they letting season ticket holders buy PC tickets? Maybe I missed it.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Not that I have seen.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Are they letting season ticket holders buy PC tickets? Maybe I missed it.
I looked at other games in the 5 game mini-plan and there are over 2000 tickets available for those games. So, I don't know what their plan is for those 2000 tickets for the PC game since they're not going to be for sale as an individual game.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Are they letting season ticket holders buy PC tickets? Maybe I missed it.
I looked at other games in the 5 game mini-plan and there are over 2000 tickets available for those games. So, I don't know what their plan is for those 2000 tickets for the PC game since they're not going to be for sale as an individual game.
I would assume the ticket office is trying to sell every last mini plan they can before they offer the 4 extra PC tickets to season ticket holders.

We'll probably here something as the game gets closer.
0 x
Go Rhody
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I have a 5 game mini plan so the first game is PC . I'm thinking about the home opener a week from Monday . I don't know if I can wait until
the PC game but The 5 hour drive from South Jersey makes it tough . Very anxious to see what we've got and I have no ideas on the Prediction Contest
for this season . I was overly optimistic last year , but I don't want to be too pessimistic either because that's just not me . So in the meantime
while I wait for Monday let me just say " GO PHILLIES ".
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is now just ten days from the season opener versus Quinnipiac at the Ryan Center on Monday November 7th at 7pm.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
I would assume the ticket office is trying to sell every last mini plan they can before they offer the 4 extra PC tickets to season ticket holders.

We'll probably here something as the game gets closer.

The fact that the PC game is the first opponent and date for the five game mini plan makes it even more likely that single game tickets for the Friars game will not be made available, if at all, until very near game time. It was probably not a coincidence that the PC game was the first in the mini plan. It is the sales carrot. Would not have been able to maximize sales if there had been an earlier game as part of the plan.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Struggled to win against Cornell and Detroit Mercy.

0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Struggled to win against Cornell and Detroit Mercy.

Losing to Maine right now in an empty Conte.
0 x