A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Typical fans.

I think 3-4 is a reach, 5-6 is possible.

They have lots of talent that can make an immediate impact.
It depends how fast Martin gets this roster to gel.
You know he will push them hard.
Not all that typical. In past years they have not been very optimistic. This year they are optimistic with a new, proven P5 HC who is really connecting with the fans, students, Alumni, former UMASS players and the media. He even has his own twitter that he is very active on. UMASS needs new life breathed back into the program and early signs are they picked the right guy. Time will tell.
Well yes, they grew tired of McCall.

But very typical of fans to get excited and maybe overly optimistic with a change.
Of course, when the previous coach wasn't successful.
Especially when bringing in a proven winner at a higher level.

I certainly think we got the right guy in Archie.
But I am patient and feel it will take a little time.
I liked the Martin hire a lot. He’s lit a fire under that program in just 6 months.
Not like both Martin and Miller can’t be successful, it’s not either/or.
I’d love to see UMASS and URI increase attendance, build lacking enthusiasm in their Fan bases and move up to Tier 1 in the A10.

Much like Richmond-VCU and Dayton-St Louis

Cox put the URI MBB Program to sleep 💤 💤 Time to wake up again.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not all that typical. In past years they have not been very optimistic. This year they are optimistic with a new, proven P5 HC who is really connecting with the fans, students, Alumni, former UMASS players and the media. He even has his own twitter that he is very active on. UMASS needs new life breathed back into the program and early signs are they picked the right guy. Time will tell.
Well yes, they grew tired of McCall.

But very typical of fans to get excited and maybe overly optimistic with a change.
Of course, when the previous coach wasn't successful.
Especially when bringing in a proven winner at a higher level.

I certainly think we got the right guy in Archie.
But I am patient and feel it will take a little time.
I liked the Martin hire a lot. He’s lit a fire under that program in just 6 months.
Not like both Martin and Miller can’t be successful, it’s not either/or.
I’d love to see UMASS and URI increase attendance, build lacking enthusiasm in their Fan bases and move up to Tier 1 in the A10.

Much like Richmond-VCU and Dayton-St Louis

Cox put the URI MBB Program to sleep 💤 💤 Time to wake up again.
I can definitely see that happening.
A renewed intense rivalry Rhody vs UMass headlined with Archie and Martin.

Maybe takes me back to the URI/UConn days.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Sports Illustrated A10 Preview
https://www.si.com/college/2022/10/10/a ... aint-louis

9. Rhode Island
Archie Miller is back in the A-10 after URI parted with David Cox this offseason. The former Dayton and Indiana coach won big in this league the last time he was in it and should turn this program around before long. This team is just a bit too young to count on a big jump in Miller’s first year. Transfers Brayon Freeman (George Washington) and Brandon Weston (Seton Hall) are long-term building blocks, but the Rams’ frontcourt is shaky, and talented UNC transfer guard Anthony Harris won’t arrive until the semester break.

Postseason Projection: There’s Always Next Year

i am personally insulted by this

NO DOUBT
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I know the experience can be lacking but don't we go 6'8 6'9 6'10 6'11 6'11 in our backcourt?
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Good write up. I found this funny - Martin is really a media darling huh?

"The veteran head coach is noticeably invigorated by his new surroundings and excited to be at a place that is passionate about basketball."

Funny - even during that NCAA run there were a lot of fans dressed up as seats in the Mullins Center.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Brayon Freeman named to preseason A10 3rd-team.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

1 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Rhody Picked 9th. Nowhere to go but up from there... I hope...
1 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago Rhody Picked 9th. Nowhere to go but up from there... I hope...
Very rarely are the preseason expectations for us ever met. For whatever reason we're always trashed when it comes to conference selections and awards.

Think Stan Robinson not getting DPOY. Think of Xavier Munford not making a team. Really we always get shafted when it comes to the league.

Years they pick us high, we go low. Years we're picked low we go high.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Archie was supposed to be on the "Field of 68", but I don't think he's there. Wasn't in the A10 coach's photo either.
0 x
GO RAMS
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Archie was supposed to be on the "Field of 68", but I don't think he's there. Wasn't in the A10 coach's photo either.
Bill Koch just tweeted a video of him there. Must have missed his train.
0 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Hes there!
0 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago Rhody Picked 9th. Nowhere to go but up from there... I hope...

i am personally insulted

9th my ass

pa-lease
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Would avoid the first day play in round as it now involves three games with seeds 10 through 15.

0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
Would avoid the first day play in round as it now involves three games with seeds 10 through 15.

This even insults me more !

NO
DOUBT !
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Thanks for the poster board

I’ll be sure to keep this “prediction”
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Great interview with Archie. He's about 1:30:28 in....

Some highlights.

1. Brandon Weston and Carey remind him of his hybrid guard/wings at Dayton. They are Super athletic guys that can run and play multiple positions.
2. He said Weston is only a freshman but is incredibly talented. He's going to be a program changer. It's just a matter of when.
3. This is the fastest team he's ever coached. He believes that if we lock in on the defensive end and get stops, we will be an absolute nightmare on the fast break.
4. He thinks Bray could be a 1st team, all-A10 guard. He still needs to improve in some areas, but he's one of the best guards he's ever coached.
5. Archie said EVERY coach has always been able to attract talent to this program. Now winning with talent is a different story. He had no idea how great of an area Kingston and Narragansett are. He loves it here.

I'm so excited about this season!!!
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Archie is on ESPN+ now
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Some highlights.

1. Brandon Weston and Carey remind him of his hybrid guard/wings at Dayton. They are Super athletic guys that can run and play multiple positions.
2. He said Weston is only a freshman but is incredibly talented. He's going to be a program changer. It's just a matter of when.
3. This is the fastest team he's ever coached. He believes that if we lock in on the defensive end and get stops, we will be an absolute nightmare on the fast break.
4. He thinks Bray could be a 1st team, all-A10 guard. He still needs to improve in some areas, but he's one of the best guards he's ever coached.
5. Archie said EVERY coach has always been able to attract talent to this program. Now winning with talent is a different story. He had no idea how great of an area Kingston and Narragansett are. He loves it here.

Sits down I think at 155
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Some highlights.

I watched it live. Archie followed Billy Lange from St Joseph’s. Shane was visible just before Archie took the mic.

High on Freeman. Says he has the ability to get to where he wants to on the floor by any means possible.

Sounds like Archie was the key guy to getting this A10 Broadcast Event because he very well knows these guys. Also they talked about being on site for the PC @ URI Game. Archie threw out the idea and all 3 guys seemed to like it, Goodman asked the date of the game and nodded like it could be done.

Archie talked about the transfer portal as a means to build a team quickly.

Good interview.
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Would be great to have that crew on campus. Builds exposure.
4 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Some highlights.

Great recap !!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Some highlights.

Number 5 is a really great, and underrated, point about this job. Hell Jerry D got talent here, a lot of the talent that Baron went to his first NIT with
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 1 year ago

Some highlights.

Sits down I think at 155
Who did Arch follow didn’t see him ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Some highlights.

Sits down I think at 155
He followed Billy Lange from St Joseph’s. I think it was around 10:30am
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UPDATED - College Sports Madness has listed its last A-10 team in its annual Top 144 countdown. St Louis is picked for #1 in the A-10 and just outside the national Top 25 at #27.

Massachusetts Minutemen
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #137
Conference Rank: #9 A-10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20718

Rhode Island Rams
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #133Conference Rank: #8 A-10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20723

George Mason Patriots
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #115
Conference Rank: #7 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20752

Davidson Wildcats
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #91
Conference Rank: #6 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20838

Richmond Spiders
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #79
Conference Rank: #5 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20880

Loyola (IL) Ramblers
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #55
Conference Rank: #4 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20938

VCU Rams
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #50
Conference Rank: #3 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20949

Dayton Flyers
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #30
Conference Rank: #2 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/ar ... 007UPDATED - College Sports Madness has listed another A-10 team in its annual Top 144 countdown. Dayton is projected as an NCAA Tournament team at #30 nationally and #2 in the A-10. Leaves just one league team left to be named #1 in the A-10 and that is certain to be St Louis.

Massachusetts Minutemen
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #137
Conference Rank: #9 A-10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20718

Rhode Island Rams
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #133Conference Rank: #8 A-10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20723

George Mason Patriots
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #115
Conference Rank: #7 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20752

Davidson Wildcats
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #91
Conference Rank: #6 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20838

Richmond Spiders
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #79
Conference Rank: #5 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20880

Loyola (IL) Ramblers
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #55
Conference Rank: #4 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20938

VCU Rams
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #50
Conference Rank: #3 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20949

Dayton Flyers
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #30
Conference Rank: #2 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/21007

Saint Louis Billikens
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #27
Conference Rank: #1 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/21016
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Sits down I think at 155
He followed Billy Lange from St Joseph’s. I think it was around 10:30am
Thanks watching now around the 52 minute mark after Lange
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

That was great. Great that Archie appreciates what media can do and help a team.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Some highlights.

Number 5 is a really great, and underrated, point about this job. Hell Jerry D got talent here, a lot of the talent that Baron went to his first NIT with

6. By the end of this season we will be a force and have a shot at the NCAA - NO DOUBT - BUCKLE UP
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

2 x
Common sense is not common.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 1 year ago
This is a knock it out of the park hire !! Love this guy
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The prediction contest will be interesting this season.

Archie is building this roster to lay a strong foundation for the future.
Not necessarily guaranteeing immediate success.
We must all try and stay patient.

Like I said early on we will probably finish in the bottom half.
That was prior to Harris not enrolling, Bilau's surgery, and now Foumena redshirting.

Finishing 9-12 is probably realisic, maybe even lower.

I am gald we have a favorable schedule this season.

I am sure ECR will be "personally offended". LOL
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

personally insulted - not offended

I’ll add you to the list who will gladly be buying me a beer when are games are relevant heading into the home stretch … now say along w me …. NO DOUBT !
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago personally insulted - not offended

I’ll add you to the list who will gladly be buying me a beer when are games are relevant heading into the home stretch … now say along w me …. NO DOUBT !
Yes insulted not offended.

But yeah if we are in contention at the end of the season, I will gladly buy you a beer.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

KenPom 2023 dropped. Yes, I know the ranking are basically meaningless until there are more 22-23 data points. I don’t care. I like the format for helping my disorganized brain view and keep track of schedules, conferences, and results.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago KenPom 2023 dropped. Yes, I know the ranking are basically meaningless until there are more 22-23 data points. I don’t care. I like the format for helping my disorganized brain view and keep track of schedules, conferences, and results.
Yeah Ace, I prefer to pay attention to the insiders and coach's predictions rather than KenPom's analytics/stats.

But for those interested:
https://kenpom.com/

#24 Dayton
#39 SLU
#59 Loyola/Chicago
#94 VCU
#95 Richmond
#104 GM
#105 Davidson
#119 Bonnies
#133 Duquesne
#141 URI
#154 UMass
#169 St. Joe's
#185 La Salle
#224 GW
#231 Fordham

He has Loyola ahead of VCU.
Also, the Bonnies and Duquesne higher than URI.
UMass below URI and Fordham last.
These all very surprising.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 1 year ago KenPom 2023 dropped. Yes, I know the ranking are basically meaningless until there are more 22-23 data points. I don’t care. I like the format for helping my disorganized brain view and keep track of schedules, conferences, and results.
Yeah Ace, I prefer to pay attention to the insiders and coach's predictions rather than KenPom's analytics/stats.

#24 Dayton
#39 SLU
#59 Loyola/Chicago
#94 VCU
#95 Richmond
#104 GM
#105 Davidson
#119 Bonnies
#133 Duquesne
#141 URI
#154 UMass
#169 St. Joe's
#185 La Salle
#224 GW
#231 Fordham

To be clear, I love advanced stats, including the KenPom stuff. You just have to know when to start taking meaning from it in a predictive way. He even says this. Also, those coaches and insiders are getting a lot of their info from stats and sites like his.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago

#24 Dayton
#39 SLU
#59 Loyola/Chicago
#94 VCU
#95 Richmond
#104 GM
#105 Davidson
#119 Bonnies
#133 Duquesne
#141 URI
#154 UMass
#169 St. Joe's
#185 La Salle
#224 GW
#231 Fordham

To be clear, I love advanced stats, including the KenPom stuff. You just have to know when to start taking meaning from it in a predictive way. He even says this. Also, those coaches and insiders are getting a lot of their info from stats and sites like his.
Yeah, it's nice to follow the analytics but they definitely don't tell the whole story.

Not sure how much attention the coach's or insiders pay to Ken Pomeroy.
Although some of his data could be useful.
It's interesting that he started as a civil engineer and then became a meteorologist.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'd be interested to see how much correlation there is between KenPom, coach's preseason polls and media preseason polls, to end of year results. But, that's a decent amount of info to compile. My suspicion would be that KenPom is probably the most accurate overall, but that he'd "miss" on some teams for narrative reasons that others wouldn't. (i.e. A team that gets a bunch of talented transfers with minimal playing time at their old school is probably very hard to project. URI and PC have both recently gotten a ton of transfers, for example, with wildly different results.)
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago personally insulted - not offended

What do you mean by “relevant?”

Relevant as it games will matter for top 4 A10 seed? NCAA tourney bubble? Regular season title?
0 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Not regular season title but yes for a top 4 seed and having a shot at the ncaa !

Limoncellos on the house !

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ace wrote: 1 year ago

#24 Dayton
#39 SLU
#59 Loyola/Chicago
#94 VCU
#95 Richmond
#104 GM
#105 Davidson
#119 Bonnies
#133 Duquesne
#141 URI
#154 UMass
#169 St. Joe's
#185 La Salle
#224 GW
#231 Fordham

Most important to note on top of this is that the data is basically speculation until Jan/Feb when there is a longer period of time for more data to be gathered that can give a context.

Analytics would say jumping out a window is faster than walking down the stairs too. It's true, but there's a couple things you'd probably want to take into account before just taking that data as fact.

That's why they play the games.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I'd be interested to see how much correlation there is between KenPom, coach's preseason polls and media preseason polls, to end of year results. But, that's a decent amount of info to compile. My suspicion would be that KenPom is probably the most accurate overall, but that he'd "miss" on some teams for narrative reasons that others wouldn't. (i.e. A team that gets a bunch of talented transfers with minimal playing time at their old school is probably very hard to project. URI and PC have both recently gotten a ton of transfers, for example, with wildly different results.)
Not exactly what you are looking for but comparison of where teams have landed vs KenPom preseason predictions over last 12 years. Rhody has finished slightly ahead.

1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

For those looking to compare, here is Bart Torvik's preaseaon A-10 ranking.
Attachments
BT Pre-Season.jpg
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago For those looking to compare, here is Bart Torvik's preaseaon A-10 ranking.
I mean, maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first or last time), but I really don't understand the Loyola Chicago ball-washing.

1) Porter Moser is gone. As we've seen in plenty of examples, the old coaches ways stick around for a year or two.
2) Even still - beating ASU and DePaul are hardly things that other upper echelon A-10 teams haven't done. That's all Loyola really accomplished last year. That and scoring 41 points in their first round NCAA exit.
3) That team had SEVEN seniors on their roster. All Moser guys. 4 of them were starters. They're gone. They brought in Golden from Butler - who averaged 8 and 4. Not exactly a world-beater.

The metrics get screwy when you talk about teams that get to play a primarily 1 bid conference schedule for the majority of the year.

I'm not saying Loyola will finish in the basement, but anointing them top tier in the league feels ridiculous.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Sure seems overrated .
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago For those looking to compare, here is Bart Torvik's preaseaon A-10 ranking.
I mean, maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first or last time), but I really don't understand the Loyola Chicago ball-washing.

1) Porter Moser is gone. As we've seen in plenty of examples, the old coaches ways stick around for a year or two.
2) Even still - beating ASU and DePaul are hardly things that other upper echelon A-10 teams haven't done. That's all Loyola really accomplished last year. That and scoring 41 points in their first round NCAA exit.
3) That team had SEVEN seniors on their roster. All Moser guys. 4 of them were starters. They're gone. They brought in Golden from Butler - who averaged 8 and 4. Not exactly a world-beater.

The metrics get screwy when you talk about teams that get to play a primarily 1 bid conference schedule for the majority of the year.

I'm not saying Loyola will finish in the basement, but anointing them top tier in the league feels ridiculous.
Agreed with all of your points. I don't understand these algorithms/formulas. At KenPom, in Hurley's last season URI finished 52 but the next year the preseason ranking for URI was 108 after losing a coach and a bunch of seniors. I would have expected more of a drop for Loyola between last year and this year.

As for your second point, that game was terrible and yet I couldn't look away. Loyola only managed 41 points but lets not forget that Ohio State also stunk out loud.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Although I don't think Loyola will finish 3rd or 4th as many predicted, I think they have a chance to finish in the top half, maybe 6th or 7th.

They do return an all-conference guard in Norris and another starter (G) Kennedy.

Transfers (G) Edwards, (F) Alston, (F) Wilson, and (C) Golden should all provide an immediate impact.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It's also still the preseason. Pretty much every team has lost X seniors or Y transfers, and replaced them with the unknown variables of freshmen and transfers. We're optimistic about URI being better, because we didn't like the Mitchells anyway, but as a reminder there were people positive we'd be better in 2021-22 because we wouldn't have that dastardly Fatts Russell hogging the ball all the time. Unless you're only replacing one or two spots, I think it's hard to tell how the pieces are going to fit, and you might as well use last season's results as a barometer vs. anything else.
1 x