A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Just need to pick the right coach.
Exactly. And what RF1 is showing from history is that getting established HCs has worked out much better than hiring Assistants with no prior HC Experience:

Qualified for NCAA Tournament(s) while HC at URI
Assistants Hired (1-4):
English - No
DeGregorio - No
Malone - No
Skinner - Yes
Cox - No

Experienced Head Coaches Hired (4-1):
Kraft - Yes
Penders - Yes
Harrick - Yes
Baron - No
Hurley - Yes
Miller - TBD
This whole discussion was started because I felt at the time, hiring Cox was the right decision by Thorr.
I still defend him.
Yes we all know now that it didn't work out.
Thorr wasn't going to base his decision then on what happened to us in the past.

I moved on.

Sean Miller at Xavier and Archie Miller at Dayton were all good first time HC hires.
Sure. But then you followed up with “Just need to pick the right coach” which to me reading that says Thorr picked the wrong coach when he picked Cox. A little look back in History by Thorr would have shown the odds were stacked against him in hiring an Assistant.

The old saying of “Don’t let history repeat itself” applies at URI with Assistant Coach hires to HC.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Exactly. And what RF1 is showing from history is that getting established HCs has worked out much better than hiring Assistants with no prior HC Experience:

Qualified for NCAA Tournament(s) while HC at URI
Assistants Hired (1-4):
English - No
DeGregorio - No
Malone - No
Skinner - Yes
Cox - No

Experienced Head Coaches Hired (4-1):
Kraft - Yes
Penders - Yes
Harrick - Yes
Baron - No
Hurley - Yes
Miller - TBD
This whole discussion was started because I felt at the time, hiring Cox was the right decision by Thorr.
I still defend him.
Yes we all know now that it didn't work out.
Thorr wasn't going to base his decision then on what happened to us in the past.

I moved on.

Sean Miller at Xavier and Archie Miller at Dayton were all good first time HC hires.
Sure. But then you followed up with “Just need to pick the right coach” which to me reading that says Thorr picked the wrong coach when he picked Cox. A little look back in History by Thorr would have shown the odds were stacked against him in hiring an Assistant.

The old saying of “Don’t let history repeat itself” applies at URI with Assistant Coach hires to HC.
Well, can’t always get it right. But the Hurley and Archie hires trump Cox. Look at Villanova taking a chance on Neptune, only 1 year at Fordham and no proven track record as a HC, just all those years as an assistant at Villanova.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Oregon, Butler, Georgetown, San Diego, and George Mason

George Mason: After finishing 14-16 in his first season as a head coach, Kim English has the Patriots well positioned to make a move towards the top of the Atlantic 10. Veteran forward Josh Oduro (17.7 points, 7.5 rebounds) headlines a talented roster, which features a quality blend of returning experience and talented newcomers. In addition to Oduro, DeVon Cooper and Davonte “Ticket” Gaines are back as double figure scorers while three transfers — Victor Bailey (Tennessee), Saquan Singleton (New Mexico), and Ginika Ojiako (Virginia Tech) — are in line for significant roles. Top-100 freshman Justyn Fernandez and 6-9 newcomer Elvis Nnaji also figure to be important members of the Patriots’ rotation. Don’t be shocked if this is the best team in the Atlantic 10 after Saint Louis, Dayton, and VCU.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Wasn’t sure which thread to put this under, but today is media day.
Attachments
5B7119BA-1666-459C-89B2-D9665D406E46.jpeg
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Early look at new uniforms
Attachments
F4120EC5-62BE-44F7-A4B2-5E9A0C7F2C85.jpeg
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Surprised not to see SLU either 1 or 2.
Also don't think Loyola will be in the A10 top 5, let alone #4.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rothstein doubling down on the A10
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rothstein is just saying what Dayton's lineup is in this tweet
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
He said the A10 could be at least a 3-bid league and doesn't consider it a Mid-Major,
but yeah not in that last tweet.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

He said the A10 could be at least a 3-bid league and doesn't consider it a Mid-Major.
If he said that, he didn't say that in this tweet. All he tweeted was the Dayton starting lineup, A10 Talk tweeted the rest
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

He said the A10 could be at least a 3-bid league and doesn't consider it a Mid-Major.
If he said that, he didn't say that in this tweet. All he tweeted was the Dayton starting lineup, A10 Talk tweeted the rest
No he didn't in the last tweet.
A10 Talk did quote Rothstein in his statement regarding the A10.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love Rothstein possibly one of the A10 biggest supporters
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Two players from the A10 mentioned:

Justyn Fernandez, George Mason: Kim English beat out several power conference programs for the 6-5 Fernandez, who has the ability to be an all-conference caliber player for multiple seasons in the Atlantic 10. Remember the name.

Mike Sharavjamts, Dayton: I’ll be shocked if Sharavjamts isn’t a fan favorite at UD Arena by Christmas. 6-8 and skilled, Sharavjamts is an exceptional passer with a high level IQ. He’ll have a big hand in the Flyers’ chase for an Atlantic 10 regular season title.

Plus
Jayden Pierre, Providence: Ed Cooley landed a gem. The 6-1 Pierre is a true point guard who knows what he’s good at and is good at what he knows. His presence should allow Cooley to move Jared Bynum off the ball in spurts during the upcoming season.

Prince Aligbe, Boston College: Earl Grant returns four starters from last season, but Aligbe is his key newcomer. The 6-6 freshman has a strong chance to be Boston College’s starting power forward as a freshman — he’s that good.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Almanac's A-10 team predictions
Almanac A-10 Team Rank.png
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Haslametrics ratings A-10 basketball 22-23:

For what it's worth, I don't buy into all his analytic stuff.

#28 Dayton
#35 Saint Louis
#55 VCU
#60 Loyola-Chicago
#76 Davidson
#83 Richmond
#123 George Mason
#124 St. Bonaventure
#142 UMass
#151 Rhode Island
#177 St. Joseph's
#194 GW
#210 La Salle
#221 Fordham
#229 Duquesne

https://www.haslametrics.com/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

5 teams that could overachieve:
Temple
New Mexico
Wisconsin
Stanford
And

UMass: Frank Martin has quickly assembled a high major baseline in Amherst thanks to a pair of transfers — Matt Cross (Louisville) and Wildens Leveque (South Carolina) — along with a four-star freshman in Tafara Gapare. Meanwhile, UConn transfer Rahsool Diggins is a former Top 100 recruit who should get high usage right away on the perimeter. The Minutemen also boast an all-conference caliber guard in senior Noah Fernandes (14.9 points). Martin has quickly upgraded the talent level in this program. A finish in the top half of the Atlantic 10 seems within reach.

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php ... 23-season/
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago 5 teams that could overachieve:
Temple
New Mexico
Wisconsin
Stanford
And

UMass: Frank Martin has quickly assembled a high major baseline in Amherst thanks to a pair of transfers — Matt Cross (Louisville) and Wildens Leveque (South Carolina) — along with a four-star freshman in Tafara Gapare. Meanwhile, UConn transfer Rahsool Diggins is a former Top 100 recruit who should get high usage right away on the perimeter. The Minutemen also boast an all-conference caliber guard in senior Noah Fernandes (14.9 points). Martin has quickly upgraded the talent level in this program. A finish in the top half of the Atlantic 10 seems within reach.

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php ... 23-season/
Yes Ramster, I had also read that.
Martin getting UMass relevant is good for the conference.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Umass has a higher floor than us this coming season, but long haul our ceiling is higher with Archie IMO.
I think Martin will immediately get them playing tough D and they have enough proven scorers to play to the middle or even upper tier this year. I think Richmond, Davidson and Bonnies are getting thought of in higher regard due to recency bias and not based on roster. Those 3 all have major rebuilds.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Umass has a higher floor than us this coming season, but long haul our ceiling is higher with Archie IMO.
I think Martin will immediately get them playing tough D and they have enough proven scorers to play to the middle or even upper tier this year. I think Richmond, Davidson and Bonnies are getting thought of in higher regard due to recency bias and not based on roster. Those 3 all have major rebuilds.
I partially agree BAR, especially about Archie and his vision, building for the future.

I think the Bonnies are overrated; they have an entirely new roster.
They did add some impact transfers, but this team will need time to mesh.

Davidson and Richmond, I wouldn't put at that same level.
Even though they did lose plenty, they both still return a major star along with some nice pieces, in addition, to several immediate impact transfers.

Davidson has PG Loyer, All-A10 2nd team, plus solid PF Mennenga who started 33 games.
Also, Huffman who played in 30 games (averaged 20 minutes) and a respectable 37% from 3pt.

Richmond has Burton, arguably one of the best players in the conference (2nd team A10). Plus, (PF) Matt Grace and (G) Gustavson.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A10 Talk @A10Talk
22h
Dayton - 5 Seed
Saint Louis - 8 Seed
Loyola Chicago - Next Four Out

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story ... -men-field
97085180-B026-41F2-9B17-3963047B8E40.png
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago A10 Talk @A10Talk
22h
Dayton - 5 Seed
Saint Louis - 8 Seed

I am surprised Loyola/Chicago is getting that much respect.
I think they can finish in the upper half of the A10 but not top 3.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

22h
Dayton - 5 Seed
Saint Louis - 8 Seed

I agree. Porter Moser ain't there anymore. And last year's team was very, very old.

Not saying they won't be good in the A-10, but it's wild to assume that because they've been hot a couple of times in the last few years and had a miracle NCAA run that had every matchup break go their way is wild.

They're going from an MVC schedule to the A-10. Not nearly as many cakewalks. I'll be they finish 6th at best.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Brandon Johns, VCU: Johns averaged 10 points and four rebounds as a starter for Michigan during the 2021 NCAA Tournament when Isaiah Livers was out of the lineup with an injury, but never found a regular rhythm in Michigan’s rotation last season. At 6-8, Johns’ soft hands and accuracy around the basket should make him a dangerous weapon for VCU in the Atlantic 10.

Javon Pickett, Saint Louis: A double figure scorer last season at Missouri, Pickett opted to stay in-state and transfer to Saint Louis in hopes of being part of one of the deepest perimeters in the sport. He’ll join a tough nucleus of guards that already features Yuri Collins, Fred Thatch, Gibson Jimerson, and Javonte Perkins.

Bryce Golden, Loyola Chicago: A stalwart in the middle, the 6-9, 245 pound Golden will provide an immediate presence in the paint for the Ramblers, who are entering their first season in the Atlantic 10 after a long stay in the Missouri Valley. Golden averaged 21 minutes or more over his past three seasons at Butler and brings plenty of starting experience from his time in the Big East.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
22h
Dayton - 5 Seed
Saint Louis - 8 Seed

I agree. Porter Moser ain't there anymore. And last year's team was very, very old.

Not saying they won't be good in the A-10, but it's wild to assume that because they've been hot a couple of times in the last few years and had a miracle NCAA run that had every matchup break go their way is wild.

They're going from an MVC schedule to the A-10. Not nearly as many cakewalks. I'll be they finish 6th at best.
Yes BlueMan, I was also thinking 6th or 7th for them.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

22h
Dayton - 5 Seed
Saint Louis - 8 Seed

Eh, it's not like the MVC is America East or something, though. Last year, the worst team by NET in the A-10 was Duquesne in the 270s, with a couple others in the 200s to 230s. For the MVC, they had Evansville at 300+, but everyone else was 238 (Indiana State) or better. It's more that you're replacing two or three mediocre, middle of the road teams with at large or fringe at large NCAA contenders. I don't think they'll be the best team in the conference, but I think they'll be pretty good immediately. (I might be mistaken, but I think people had similar concerns about VCU "stepping up" to A-10 competition, but they've been stellar from Day 1 in the A-10.)
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

Eh, it's not like the MVC is America East or something, though. Last year, the worst team by NET in the A-10 was Duquesne in the 270s, with a couple others in the 200s to 230s. For the MVC, they had Evansville at 300+, but everyone else was 238 (Indiana State) or better. It's more that you're replacing two or three mediocre, middle of the road teams with at large or fringe at large NCAA contenders. I don't think they'll be the best team in the conference, but I think they'll be pretty good immediately. (I might be mistaken, but I think people had similar concerns about VCU "stepping up" to A-10 competition, but they've been stellar from Day 1 in the A-10.)
SG, the MVC is a decent conference, maybe just a notch below the A10.
Loyola should be competitive and will probably finish in the upper half of the conference.
I just don't see them contending this season or even in the top 5.

However, they did add several transfers that will be immediate impact players for them.
Plus return an all-conference player in Norris.

They also lost 3 of their top 4 scorers and best player Williamson.

I guess if Valentine gets this team to mesh immediately and the new players really step up, they will surprise some of us.

I know we say this every year, but the A10 really looks loaded this season.
Even some of the usual bottom dwellers seem better.
22-23 should be a dogfight, not too many easy outs.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will guess 3-5 for Loyola I think they will be competitive from the get go
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 year ago I will guess 3-5 for Loyola I think they will be competitive from the get go
They will be competitive.
But also remember that the A10 didn't make their schedule easy.

They play Dayton, SLU, and GM twice.
Plus, their games with Richmond, Davidson, and UMass are all on the road.

I think it will be a difficult task for them to finish in the top 5.
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Actually , they only play Dayton at home this season .
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

luke wrote: 1 year ago Actually , they only play Dayton at home this season .
I was responding to Reef concerning Loyola.
They play at Dayton on 1/31/23

We only play Dayton at home.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Malachi Smith, Dayton: The Flyers are expected to be one of the best non power conference teams in college basketball this season. That will only allow Smith’s star to rise nationally. A swiss army knife type of point guard, the 6-foot Smith quietly averaged 9.3 points, 5.3 assists, 4.1 rebounds, and 1.8 steals a year ago as a freshman. The more Dayton wins, the more Smith will get the type of ink that he so very well.

Jayden Nunn, VCU: Armed with great size at 6-4, Nunn quietly had a very productive freshman season for VCU, averaging 8.6 points in 29.1 minutes. Can he be an all-conference player as a sophomore? Don’t rule it out of the realm of possibility. Look for Nunn and Ace Baldwin to form one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic 10 in 2022-23.

Grant Huffman, Davidson: Matt McKillop needs a running mate for Foster Loyer. Huffman appears to be a likely candidate. Davidson’s staff has big hopes for the 6-3 guard, who finished last season by averaging 7.7 points in the Atlantic 10 Tournament. Huffman’s progression is a major key to this program remaining atop the Atlantic 10 standings in 2022-23.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Several' on the UMass board didn't think he would be available this season.

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Several' on the UMass board didn't think he would be available this season.

Don’t blame them, Very strange recruitment for Gafare. Started off In the class of 2021 as a GW commitment, decommitted and reclassified to 2023. Committed to DePaul as a 2023, decommitted and finally ended up at UMass and reclassified again to 2022.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Sports Illustrated A10 Preview
https://www.si.com/college/2022/10/10/a ... aint-louis

9. Rhode Island
Archie Miller is back in the A-10 after URI parted with David Cox this offseason. The former Dayton and Indiana coach won big in this league the last time he was in it and should turn this program around before long. This team is just a bit too young to count on a big jump in Miller’s first year. Transfers Brayon Freeman (George Washington) and Brandon Weston (Seton Hall) are long-term building blocks, but the Rams’ frontcourt is shaky, and talented UNC transfer guard Anthony Harris won’t arrive until the semester break.

Postseason Projection: There’s Always Next Year
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Sports Illustrated A10 Preview

9. Rhode Island
Archie Miller is back in the A-10 after URI parted with David Cox this offseason. The former Dayton and Indiana coach won big in this league the last time he was in it and should turn this program around before long. This team is just a bit too young to count on a big jump in Miller’s first year. Transfers Brayon Freeman (George Washington) and Brandon Weston (Seton Hall) are long-term building blocks, but the Rams’ frontcourt is shaky, and talented UNC transfer guard Anthony Harris won’t arrive until the semester break.

They project UMASS 5th - we play them twice

5. UMass
Frank Martin has brought new energy and excitement to a program that has struggled to get out of its own way in recent years, and a loaded class of newcomers gives the Minutemen a chance for immediate success with their new coach. Physically, this roster looks like a high-major team with its length, athleticism and recruiting pedigree, and that’s especially true up front with big bodies like Wildens Leveque and touted freshman Tafara Gapare. Martin’s South Carolina teams often struggled early, and incorporating so many new faces into his extremely demanding system may take some time. But come February, no one is going to want to see this team.

Postseason Projection: NIT Bound
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

9. Rhode Island

They project UMASS 5th - we play them twice

5. UMass
Frank Martin has brought new energy and excitement to a program that has struggled to get out of its own way in recent years, and a loaded class of newcomers gives the Minutemen a chance for immediate success with their new coach. Physically, this roster looks like a high-major team with its length, athleticism and recruiting pedigree, and that’s especially true up front with big bodies like Wildens Leveque and touted freshman Tafara Gapare. Martin’s South Carolina teams often struggled early, and incorporating so many new faces into his extremely demanding system may take some time. But come February, no one is going to want to see this team.

Postseason Projection: NIT Bound
They also have Loyola picked #4, surprised so many are picking them in the top 5.
Especially with their conference schedule.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

9. Rhode Island

Indications for post season:

1. Dayton - 2nd weekend upside
2. St. Louis - Safe to Dance
3. VCU - On The Bubble
4. Loyola of Chicago - On The Bubble
5. UMASS - NIT
6. George Mason - NIT

7-15. There’s Always Next Year
7. Richmond
8. Davidson
9. URI
10. St Bonaventure
11. George Washington
12. Duquesne
13. Fordham
14. St Joseph’s
15. LaSalle
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UPDATED - College Sports Madness has listed another A-10 team in its annual Top 144 countdown. Dayton is projected as an NCAA Tournament team at #30 nationally and #2 in the A-10. Leaves just one league team left to be named #1 in the A-10 and that is certain to be St Louis.

Massachusetts Minutemen
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #137
Conference Rank: #9 A-10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20718

Rhode Island Rams
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #133Conference Rank: #8 A-10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20723

George Mason Patriots
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #115
Conference Rank: #7 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20752

Davidson Wildcats
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #91
Conference Rank: #6 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20838

Richmond Spiders
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #79
Conference Rank: #5 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20880

Loyola (IL) Ramblers
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #55
Conference Rank: #4 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20938

VCU Rams
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #50
Conference Rank: #3 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20949

Dayton Flyers
2022-2023 Overall Rank: #30
Conference Rank: #2 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/21007
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago UPDATED - College Sports Madness has listed another A-10 team in its annual Top 144 countdown. Dayton is projected as an NCAA Tournament team at #30 nationally and #2 in the A-10. Leaves just one league team left to be named #1 in the A-10 and that is certain to be St Louis.

Massachusetts Minutemen

Rhode Island Rams

George Mason Patriots

Davidson Wildcats

Richmond Spiders

Loyola (IL) Ramblers

VCU Rams

Dayton Flyers
Not totally surprising, you can make a case for SLU, even though most pick Dayton as #1.

URI's ranking was prior to Harris not qualifying and was considered an immediate impact transfer.

Also ranking before UMass added 4* top 100 recruit Gapare and transfer PF Kante.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m excited about Loyola. It’s not quite the same (the coach is the obvious difference), but I remember when Davidson joined the conference. They were given little respect but came in and won the conference and have been solid each season.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They do good work, should be a good listen and some nice attention for the conference-

2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A10 Media Day Thursday on ESPN+

The full schedule for A-10 Live on ESPN+ is listed below.
10:10 am – Atlantic 10 Commissioner Bernadette V. McGlade
10:30 am – Anthony Grant (Dayton), Chris Caputo (George Washington), Frank Martin (Massachusetts)
11:00 am – Matt McKillop (Davidson), Keith Dambrot (Duquesne), Mike Rhoades (VCU)
11:30 am – Keith Urgo (Fordham), Chris Mooney (Richmond), Mark Schmidt (St. Bonaventure)
Noon – Fran Dunphy (La Salle), Archie Miller (Rhode Island), Travis Ford (Saint Louis)
12 :30 pm – Kim English (George Mason), Drew Valentine (Loyola Chicago), Billy Lange (Saint Joseph’s).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago UPDATED - College Sports Madness has listed another A-10 team in its annual Top 144 countdown. Dayton is projected as an NCAA Tournament team at #30 nationally and #2 in the A-10. Leaves just one league team left to be named #1 in the A-10 and that is certain to be St Louis.

Massachusetts Minutemen

Rhode Island Rams is

George Mason Patriots

Davidson Wildcats

Richmond Spiders

Loyola (IL) Ramblers

VCU Rams

Dayton Flyers
Not totally surprising, you can make a case for SLU, even though most pick Dayton as #1.

URI's ranking was prior to Harris not qualifying and was considered an immediate impact transfer.

Also ranking before UMass added 4* top 100 recruit Gapare and transfer PF Kante.
With the 1800 transfers in Portal-Palooza the past two years with immediate eligibility plus introduction of NIL the idea of predicting teams 144 days before the start of the season is archaic.

Gapare and Kante are both potential starters at UMASS, both added AFTER 144 Madness released the UMASS preseason ranking of 9th in A10.

At least 144 Madness should go an adjustment to their own rankings before season start with adjustments for potential starter Snthony Harris not playing for URI and potential starters Gapare and Kante added to UMASS. Plus same thing for other A10 impacted teams by changes in the 144 days leading up to Nov 7, including player injuries.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Massachusetts Minutemen

Rhode Island Rams is

George Mason Patriots

Davidson Wildcats

Richmond Spiders

Loyola (IL) Ramblers

VCU Rams

Dayton Flyers

With the 1800 transfers in Portal-Palooza the past two years with immediate eligibility plus introduction of NIL the idea of predicting teams 144 days before the start of the season is archaic.

Gapare and Kante are both potential starters at UMASS, both added AFTER 144 Madness released the UMASS preseason ranking of 9th in A10.

At least 144 Madness should go an adjustment to their own rankings before season start with adjustments for potential starter Snthony Harris not playing for URI and potential starters Gapare and Kante added to UMASS. Plus same thing for other A10 impacted teams by changes in the 144 days leading up to Nov 7, including player injuries.
Yes Ramster, difficult to start making these predictions that early on and before the rosters are set.

Not counting injuries which is always a fluid situation, URI and UMass were the only major changes (A10) I saw.
Based on that I can see flip-flopping both rankings.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes Ramster, difficult to start making these predictions that early on and before the rosters are set.

Not counting injuries which is always a fluid situation, URI and UMass were the only major changes (A10) I saw.
From UMASShoops board this is how they see the season:
DD60F723-C9EC-40B0-8789-4E2606915083.png
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Typical fans.

I think 3-4 is a reach, 5-6 is possible.

They have lots of talent that can make an immediate impact.
It depends how fast Martin gets this roster to gel.
You know he will push them hard.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Typical fans.

Not all that typical. In past years they have not been very optimistic. This year they are optimistic with a new, proven P5 HC who is really connecting with the fans, students, Alumni, former UMASS players and the media. He even has his own twitter that he is very active on. UMASS needs new life breathed back into the program and early signs are they picked the right guy. Time will tell.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Typical fans.

Not all that typical. In past years they have not been very optimistic. This year they are optimistic with a new, proven P5 HC who is really connecting with the fans, students, Alumni, former UMASS players and the media. He even has his own twitter that he is very active on. UMASS needs new life breathed back into the program and early signs are they picked the right guy. Time will tell.
Well yes, they grew tired of McCall.

But very typical of fans to get excited and maybe overly optimistic with a change.
Of course, when the previous coach wasn't successful.
Especially when bringing in a proven winner at a higher level.

I certainly think we got the right guy in Archie.
But I am patient and feel it will take a little time.
3 x