Brookside Apartments

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Re: Brookside Apartments

Unread post by 4Diffs »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago So I've heard a rumor of a new dorm going up in the Brookside area that would essentially be its twin. Here's a Good 5 Cent Cigar article that talks about the housing crunch this year:

https://rhodycigar.com/2022/09/22/uri-p ... ng-crisis/

We had a nearly 800 student waiting list for housing, so even another 500 person bed facility would only dent the demand we're currently seeing.

Frankie Minor, director of Housing and Residential Life "said that URI has tentative plans for new dorms and buildings in the long term to alleviate stress and overcrowding."
An article in today (or yesterdays) Providence Journal about the Narragansett 3 person limit housing situation. As someone who lived down the line in Narragansett, I take offense (not really) to the current URI's student senate president characterization of that time. I get she is using a well reasoned debate argument to strengthen her current argument, but not sure impugning the URI graduates of the 90's is anyway helpful here. It is the last paragraph in the article.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... -NLETTER01

Looks like it is behind a paywall, I thought they might let people read one or two articles free but not the case. Based on that, I will give you the last two paragraphs.

Grace Kiernan, a senior and president of URI’s Student Senate, just wants everyone to get along. Her rent has gone up about $75 a month this fall even though she is living with more roommates.

“The URI of 2022 is not the URI of the 1990s,” she said. “It was like Animal House back then. Now you have kids coming here to really study. We have a renowned engineering program. Our pharmacy program is one of the best in the Northeast. I chose URI because it offers a great education.”
2 people on my street stopped renting to URI students because of the yearly damage.
Well a sample of 2 is not much of a sample. Not sure what the above has to do with anything I posted but whatever. Another NIMBY it sounds like.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

An article in today (or yesterdays) Providence Journal about the Narragansett 3 person limit housing situation. As someone who lived down the line in Narragansett, I take offense (not really) to the current URI's student senate president characterization of that time. I get she is using a well reasoned debate argument to strengthen her current argument, but not sure impugning the URI graduates of the 90's is anyway helpful here. It is the last paragraph in the article.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... -NLETTER01

Looks like it is behind a paywall, I thought they might let people read one or two articles free but not the case. Based on that, I will give you the last two paragraphs.

Grace Kiernan, a senior and president of URI’s Student Senate, just wants everyone to get along. Her rent has gone up about $75 a month this fall even though she is living with more roommates.

“The URI of 2022 is not the URI of the 1990s,” she said. “It was like Animal House back then. Now you have kids coming here to really study. We have a renowned engineering program. Our pharmacy program is one of the best in the Northeast. I chose URI because it offers a great education.”
2 people on my street stopped renting to URI students because of the yearly damage.
Well a sample of 2 is not much of a sample. Not sure what the above has to do with anything I posted but whatever. Another NIMBY it sounds like.
Well, it's two houses out of eight on my street. So 25%. Just responding to the 90's reference of URI being Animal House and today's students are alter boys.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I want to know how 350-400 people parked at a house on Kingstown Rd near Buckley Heating and Cooling. Methinks that estimate is waaaaaay off.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago I want to know how 350-400 people parked at a house on Kingstown Rd near Buckley Heating and Cooling. Methinks that estimate is waaaaaay off.
It's not like the old days ATP. They use Uber to get there. No cars needed.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago I want to know how 350-400 people parked at a house on Kingstown Rd near Buckley Heating and Cooling. Methinks that estimate is waaaaaay off.
You could take the bus there as well, take the bike path (assuming not excessive inebriation). But it's also nuts because it's right close to the South Kingstown Police Station!!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
You could take the bus there as well, take the bike path (assuming not excessive inebriation). But it's also nuts because it's right close to the South Kingstown Police Station!!
I'm thinking the 100 kid party on my street that afternoon busted up by NPD ended up there.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

I'm thinking the 100 kid party on my street that afternoon busted up by NPD ended up there.
Word travels fast. Plus it’s a Holiday Weekend too. No classes today.
0 x