2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by ramster »

10_Vault @A10Vault
🎙 I asked @MarcusCamby23 about the hiring of Frank Martin for @UMassMBB, as well as his former point guard.
@CoachKellogg

More 🔜 from my interview with Camby.

I'll not post the interview. It's on RV's twitter.

GO UMASS

I guess
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I mean, URI can put it into contracts that they get a right of a home-and-home if a coach leaves, but there's no such thing as a free lunch in a contract negotiation. You're giving up something else in order to get that, whether it's $X off the buyout or a shorter length on the contract. From a quick Google search because I don't remember the details, the buyout for Hurley was roughly $1.25M. Not sure how much it would have cost to get a home-and-home on the table instead - The only people who'd know are probably Hurley and Thorr, and neither one is probably going to answer until they're long retired.
Do you think Archie Miller wanted this in his 5 year contract? So when he leaves URI in 5 years for UCLA then UCLA is required to play URI home and home for the next 10 years? Think that makes Archie more marketable?
Think Hurley wanted that if he went to St John's? Rutgets? Florida, Texas A&M?.......... of course not. He would be less marketable

As it was Thorr and URI could not hold onto Hurley. Hurley was calling the shots because of his 2 NCAA Appearances and 2-2 record. Only NCAA Appearances and only NCAA Wins this Century

Rhody Vault is just Monday Morning Quarterbacking 6 years too late. VCU did not get those Home and Home deals in the contract for free. All Negotiations are give and take on both sides.
Ramster, I agree with you and Stevey on this.

It is not that clear cut in adding that to the coach's contract and also the "Schedule" clause is not that common at all.

For Rhody Vault to bring it up now is quite ridiculous and very petty.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I’m not entirely convinced that future MBB contests between URI and UConn are out of the question. Does Hurley really have animosity towards URI? Can’t think he’s afraid of us.

If it’s a profitable game why not?

Both schools could hype it up….
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago I’m not entirely convinced that future MBB contests between URI and UConn are out of the question. Does Hurley really have animosity towards URI? Can’t think he’s afraid of us.

Dan is a very emotional guy. Ace has said previously that Dan still cares about URI/thinks fondly of here. I just think he wouldn't want the emotions to distract from the game itself. It's probably, almost like playing ASU right now. Maybe those emotions will subside with time and he'll agree to a game (please be at Mohegan!).
1 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

The Criars played at Fairfield years ago.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I mean, URI can put it into contracts that they get a right of a home-and-home if a coach leaves, but there's no such thing as a free lunch in a contract negotiation. You're giving up something else in order to get that, whether it's $X off the buyout or a shorter length on the contract. From a quick Google search because I don't remember the details, the buyout for Hurley was roughly $1.25M. Not sure how much it would have cost to get a home-and-home on the table instead - The only people who'd know are probably Hurley and Thorr, and neither one is probably going to answer until they're long retired.
Do you think Archie Miller wanted this in his 5 year contract? So when he leaves URI in 5 years for UCLA then UCLA is required to play URI home and home for the next 10 years? Think that makes Archie more marketable?
Think Hurley wanted that if he went to St John's? Rutgets? Florida, Texas A&M?.......... of course not. He would be less marketable

As it was Thorr and URI could not hold onto Hurley. Hurley was calling the shots because of his 2 NCAA Appearances and 2-2 record. Only NCAA Appearances and only NCAA Wins this Century

Rhody Vault is just Monday Morning Quarterbacking 6 years too late. VCU did not get those Home and Home deals in the contract for free. All Negotiations are give and take on both sides.
Not one person is saying a 10 year series. Not even close.

A two year H&H is what’s being discussed.

Stop exaggerating to try and prove a point.
4 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Not one person is saying a 10 year series. Not even close.

A two year H&H is what’s being discussed.

Stop exaggerating to try and prove a point.
There is no point. It is not happening. Dumb for Rhody Vault to bring up at all. He should talk to Thorr not air it out to the twitter-verse.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago I’m not entirely convinced that future MBB contests between URI and UConn are out of the question. Does Hurley really have animosity towards URI? Can’t think he’s afraid of us.

Dan is a very emotional guy. Ace has said previously that Dan still cares about URI/thinks fondly of here. I just think he wouldn't want the emotions to distract from the game itself. It's probably, almost like playing ASU right now. Maybe those emotions will subside with time and he'll agree to a game (please be at Mohegan!).
Yeah, there is definitely not any animosity, at least as far as any of us know. I think there was a 0% chance of the game happening while Cox was the head coach, but who knows maybe as more time passes and there aren't as many people still around at URI that were tied to the Hurley years it could happen one day.

There are also plenty of non-Hurley related reasons why it might never happen to though. So still seems unlikely but ya never know.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah RV is just disappointed that he can’t get Arch to come on with him , just put out your content and get over it already
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

Only happening in the big dance or NIT. Maybe a early season tournament?

Dan became super successful here as an individual. Him rebuilding URI basketball into a championship level team was the most important thing he had done in his life, so I imagine him being in a situation where he's actively trying to defeat the Rhody Rams has to be pretty tough...it's almost like he's a fan. I can really respect that.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Thorr and staff have to love this one too......

So if this has been your purpose go ahead and leave URI alone. Your job is done.
I don't want Rhody Vault choosing who should and shouldn't have banners in the Ryan Center Rafters. Not his job.

And while RV is at it criticizing URI for not having had URI-UCONN Home and Home written into Hurley's URI Contract, why not Rhody Vault go after UCONN and Hurley as they only have 1 Player Banner in their Rafters. Only 1. Make that your purpose, apply pressure and then or course do NOT take any credit.

@RhodyVault
Sep 6
🚨Sources have told me that
@RhodyMBB
is looking at dates in Feb. to honor the ‘88 & ‘98 teams. Also, URI is planning to honor several former players which I will not name out of respect for the players.

🎙This has been my purpose, to apply pressure & NO I am not taking credit.
I'm trying to separate the art from the artist.

The content is top notch. The interviews. The spotlight on our program and history. He's 100% right that it's a piece that's been sorely lacking.

That said, he really needed to be patient and stay in his lane. Build the brand organically, make yourself big enough so that the team wants to put things out through you. He got too big too fast and didn't know how to handle it. It's all relative obviously, but Kingston and URI sports are a pretty small pond. Splash enough and you get noticed. He just got it for the wrong reasons.

I wish he'd stop taking potshots at URI or the staff because that's certainly not going to get him any more access...and if anything it's going to drive a further wedge between former players and URI because he's stoking that fire. Since he's the "players guy" in this fight that he picked, now players are aligned to his side and it doesn't allow for anything productive to happen between them and the school because he spends his time on twitter taking thinly veiled shots at URI.

He seems like a genuinely good dude, just got himself stuck in no mans land with a couple poor decisions and now he's just grasping at straws to figure out a direction.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Not sure if this was known already or not, so apologies if I just missed it, but it looks like some game times are starting to be released. Including the Providence game being a 5:00pm start.

https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Providence and UMass home games were announced in a press release earlier, but a lot of this is new info. Thanks for pointing it out.

Game at Boston College is at noon.

https://bceagles.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Wow, 5 home games in December - and 4 in 2 weeks. Early Christmas present!
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Games Broadcast Update

The PC and UMass games had originally been listed to be on an ESPN network. The schedule now indicates they will both be on ESPNU, their least watched tv option.

ESPN+ Streaming 19 games
CBS Sports Network 4 games
ESPNU 2 games
USA 1 game

Given the low visibility of these options, this season shapes up to be the least watched in recent URI history. It would seem to be a direct result of two straight losing seasons and generally low expectations (apart from some KeaneyBlue.com cheerleaders).
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Yep, that one up for TV is disappointing, but given where we have been in the last two years, URI bringing eyeballs to the TV is not a thing……not surprising, no where to go but up…….Go Rhody
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Games Broadcast Update

The PC and UMass games had originally been listed to be on an ESPN network. The schedule now indicates they will both be on ESPNU, their least watched tv option.

ESPN+ Streaming 19 games
CBS Sports Network 4 games
ESPNU 2 games
USA 1 game

Given the low visibility of these options, this season shapes up to be the least watched in recent URI history. It would seem to be a direct result of two straight losing seasons and generally low expectations (apart from some KeaneyBlue.com cheerleaders).
But no damage was done
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Any games on Flo Sports u think ??
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Please give Stone a better broadcast partner. 🙏 🤡 😳
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Any games on Flo Sports u think ??
There shouldn't be. ESPN has the streaming right for A10 games, so the only Flo Sports games would be potential non-conf road games I guess if thats who our opponent uses.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Please give Stone a better broadcast partner. 🙏 🤡 😳
Sure, Chris DiSano on the main radio broadcast team…….love Steve, but maybe time to move on……yes, I will be that guy…….ouch
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
There shouldn't be. ESPN has the streaming right for A10 games, so the only Flo Sports games would be potential non-conf road games I guess if thats who our opponent uses.
What about that Cayman Islands tournament??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Cayman Islands games are exclusively FloSports. All games will be carried.

FloHoops subscribers can tune in to watch the following games live:
Nov. 21 – Games 1-4 beginning at 11 am ET
Nov. 22 – Games 5-8 beginning at 11 am ET
Nov. 23 – Games 9-12 beginning at 11 am ET

https://caymanislandsclassic.com/news/2 ... assic.aspx
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well that sucks, FloSports is the worst. I didn't even think of the tournament.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Well that sucks, FloSports is the worst. I didn't even think of the tournament.
Soooo see you in the Caymans?
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Anyone know when mini plan info is coming out?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago Anyone know when mini plan info is coming out?
If you go to website for Tickets Mini-Plans it says..........

2022-23 RHODE ISLAND MEN'S BASKETBALL MINI PLAN INFORMATION COMING IN LATE SUMMER

September 22 Fall began in Rhode Island (a week ago)

I'm sure it will be soon

I know there has been turnover of Season Ticket Holders after the Cox poor performance and the Covid years. You can get Season Tickets in much better locations than you could in the last couple of Hurley years. Opportunity knocks for those who want good seats for the Miller era. Next year the season ticket seat availability could be much less attractive if Miller excites as expected.

Mini-plans are a marketing plan AFTER new season ticket holders are maximized - so the turnover and reseating could be taking longer due to the volume

The PC Game is also a good draw for selling Season Tickets.............and then Mini-Plans
2 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

One thing I didn’t notice is was no exhibition game scheduled yet
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

A friend of mine was on a priority list for this information (no idea how he got on it) and was recently sent an email with mini plan information. I imagine it will be open to the general public anytime now
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
A friend of mine was on a priority list for this information (no idea how he got on it) and was recently sent an email with mini plan information. I imagine it will be open to the general public anytime now
Ok thanks I must be a little lower down on the priority list lol
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago
I don't think I'm releasing state secrets by posting this here. My friend passed on the info to me, so this is what the mini plans will look like

And for comparison, here are the prices for full season tickets

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Cayman Islands games are exclusively FloSports. All games will be carried.

FloHoops subscribers can tune in to watch the following games live:
Nov. 21 – Games 1-4 beginning at 11 am ET
Nov. 22 – Games 5-8 beginning at 11 am ET
Nov. 23 – Games 9-12 beginning at 11 am ET

https://caymanislandsclassic.com/news/2 ... assic.aspx
I’ll do what I did last year pay the 30 or whatever it costs and watch the 3 games then cancel , @ least we get 3 games instead of 2
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago

I received my call and placed my order for the 5 game mini pack on Friday.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's on the website now

https://gorhody.com/sports/2022/9/29/ti ... -plan.aspx

They go on sale Tuesday at 10 am
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Can’t wait til Free drops 20 on those guys !!
2 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I am assuming the mini plan is the only way to grab extra PC tickets?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Could opt for full season tickets.
Possible season ticket holders could get offer to purchase more later on. May depend on level of season ticket holder. Just guessing.
Another option is call Tyler and ask what options might exist now and/or in future.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Lamest beef I’ve ever seen.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Lamest beef I’ve ever seen.
Yeah, considering both teams have 2 new HC's.
Attempt to promote this match-up.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don’t know if it’s a “beef,” but if a URI player, who was an all-rookie selection, transferred to another school in the conference, I feel like some Rhody players and fans might have something to say about it.
6 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Alright im pretty dissapointed in the Five game mini plans... The other games are trash. I really thought this was going to be what I did this year. Guess ill reup some young alumni season tickets since its cheaper for the whole season than the PC game and the four mediocre ones. I really expected the mini plan to be PC, UMass and Dayton at minimum

The five-game plan features Providence College* (12/3), Army (12/10), George Mason (1/21), La Salle (1/28), and Davidson (3/4) all starting at just $115.

*Purchasing a full season ticket package or 5-game mini plan is the only way to secure your seat to the URI vs. Providence College game this December. Single game tickets against Providence College will not be available for sale.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago Alright im pretty dissapointed in the Five game mini plans... The other games are trash. I really thought this was going to be what I did this year. Guess ill reup some young alumni season tickets since its cheaper for the whole season than the PC game and the four mediocre ones. I really expected the mini plan to be PC, UMass and Dayton at minimum

The five-game plan features Providence College* (12/3), Army (12/10), George Mason (1/21), La Salle (1/28), and Davidson (3/4) all starting at just $115.

*Purchasing a full season ticket package or 5-game mini plan is the only way to secure your seat to the URI vs. Providence College game this December. Single game tickets against Providence College will not be available for sale.
What happens to the 4 or 5 thousand tickets for the PC game that are left after season tickets and mini-plans are sold?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

There won't be that many left over, at least at the high end. I'm pretty sure we're between 2000 and 2500 season tickets, plus student allotment is around 1500. I imagine that whatever is left over will be released as singles after the season starts
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago Alright im pretty dissapointed in the Five game mini plans... The other games are trash. I really thought this was going to be what I did this year. Guess ill reup some young alumni season tickets since its cheaper for the whole season than the PC game and the four mediocre ones. I really expected the mini plan to be PC, UMass and Dayton at minimum

I also find it weird the other 4 games in the package, but for a different reason.

All the games are on a Saturday, which are normally decently attended regardless of opponent because people don’t have to rush to the game after getting out of work at 4/5.

Definitely would have thought a few weeknight games, like Dayton, would have been included in the 5 game package.

Also, I wonder if season ticket holders will again have the option to purchase additional PC game tickets like years past.
0 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I also find it weird the other 4 games in the package, but for a different reason.

All the games are on a Saturday, which are normally decently attended regardless of opponent because people don’t have to rush to the game after getting out of work at 4/5.

Definitely would have thought a few weeknight games, like Dayton, would have been included in the 5 game package.

Also, I wonder if season ticket holders will again have the option to purchase additional PC game tickets like years past.
Maybe they are trying to maximize the number of actual bodies in seats for those weekend games by combining the plan with, like you said, games that should already be well attended?
0 x
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Winning or at least some exciting basketball that bodes well for the future will help attendance
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

ace wrote: 1 year ago

Maybe they are trying to maximize the number of actual bodies in seats for those weekend games by combining the plan with, like you said, games that should already be well attended?
For sure they are trying prop up games they know won’t be well attended. For casuals it makes sense. I just (very selfishly) wish I could build a 5 game plan that includes PC, since I can’t by single game tickets to one of the 2 best games on the schedule since I don’t have nearly enough time to justify season tickets
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

No, I mean like usually they might include a weeknight game in the five-pack and maybe assume that the buyer won’t go to that game (inconvenient time and boring opponent), but it doesn’t really matter because they already have their money. If they’re going for optics and they think that people who purchase the five-game pack are more likely to go to all the games if they’re on the weekend, then they combine those tickets with the usual weekend game attenders for a big crowd. Or maybe I am over-thinking it and they thought of none of these things! I’m just glad they have PC at home this season to help ticket sales. Hopefully by next season, the team can sell itself and more people get on board.
2 x