Rhody vs Bryant

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Rhody vs Bryant

Unread post by section(105) »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Not really in to playing Bryant or even Brown too often maybe once every few years to fill out the schedule but not an every year thing like PC

Oh I'm 100% that we should play both every year.

We get crap teams coming in all the time. Local means more fans in the stands and more money for the University.

That said, I think a tourney would be cool too - but you'd have to make it PC/URI and Brown/Bryant with the winners playing each other. It would add some juice to a game vs Bryant or Brown. Nothing will ever take away from PC/URI, so I don't think it matters that a "trophy" isn't on the line.

Logistically it makes sense. You set the "championship" and "3rd place" games at the RC or Dunk based on where the PC/URI game was, and then winners play and losers play.

I'm in.
……..The Quahog Cup……
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I'll take events that'll never happen for $2000...
6 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Not really in to playing Bryant or even Brown too often maybe once every few years to fill out the schedule but not an every year thing like PC
Oh I'm 100% that we should play both every year.

We get crap teams coming in all the time. Local means more fans in the stands and more money for the University.

That said, I think a tourney would be cool too - but you'd have to make it PC/URI and Brown/Bryant with the winners playing each other. It would add some juice to a game vs Bryant or Brown. Nothing will ever take away from PC/URI, so I don't think it matters that a "trophy" isn't on the line.

Logistically it makes sense. You set the "championship" and "3rd place" games at the RC or Dunk based on where the PC/URI game was, and then winners play and losers play.

I'm in.
Blue man, do you play in Smithfield and the East side every other year? Do you pay them to travel to the RC?
I think you're right saying "might as well play them instead of bs teams like Milwaukee"
I get the local buzz thing, but I kinda see where Cooley doesn't want to go to Smithfield.
And if you're paying for it, the money might be better spent somewhere else.
The tourney thing would be cool, but rj is probably right.
And it might get old after a couple of years.

Questions to consider...

Meanwhile, we're not playing the dogs this year.
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I say only play them at our home. I bet we would sell out their venues with our season tickets alone.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago I'll take events that'll never happen for $2000...
I agree it will never happen, but then you see things like this, why couldn’t New England schools do something like this?

With Frank Martin and Archie Miller here in New England now maybe something can happen.

I like simply the idea of a double-header like this possibly in the Dunk, Foxwoods……
Drum up some local interest

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Source: The Big 5 is attempting to have a doubleheader at the Palestra on November 30th.

Schedule would feature Temple/La Salle (6 PM ET) and St. Joe's/Penn (8:30 PM ET).
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

If Bryant wins the AEC this season, and another NCAAT bid, you can be sure Grasso's name will be brought up for several higher-level HC positions after this season.
In that case wouldn't be surprised to see Phil Martelli Jr being elevated to HC to try and keep their momentum going.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago I'll take events that'll never happen for $2000...
I agree it will never happen, but then you see things like this, why couldn’t New England schools do something like this?

With Frank Martin and Archie Miller here in New England now maybe something can happen.

I like simply the idea of a double-header like this possibly in the Dunk, Foxwoods……

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Source: The Big 5 is attempting to have a doubleheader at the Palestra on November 30th.

Schedule would feature Temple/La Salle (6 PM ET) and St. Joe's/Penn (8:30 PM ET).
Tough to play at Foxwoods with no arena.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

Thinking he meant Mohegan Sun.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

I think the issue there is that there is no combination of NE basketball teams that makes sense for a double-header.

UCONN will not play any mid/high-major NE team besides PC, and they will only play PC because of conference affiliation.

PC will not play any mid/high-major NE team besides UCONN and URI. Perhaps would change if BC/UMASS becomes legit.

BC, UMASS, URI would play anyone local.

So now you either get BC v UMASS or BC v URI, but there is no second game of interest. Are you interested in a BC/UMASS, URI/Northeastern-Harvard-etc double-header?

Boston used to hold double/triple-headers with local teams. No one came.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

Thinking he meant Mohegan Sun.
Mystic YMCA is a possibility as well. Doesn’t matter because it will never happen anyway.
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Playing Bryant every year might be a stretch, but every other year seems reasonable, and would create a little rivalry over time. Once they have their new venue, a Rhody game at Bryant would make for a good atmosphere. Like someone on here already said, it would probably be packed with Rhody fans and be a fun game for our fanbase to attend.
1 x