Where will this program be in 6 years, Hurley's tenure here.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Where will this program be in 6 years, Hurley's tenure here.

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Will Archie have the same success as Dan, or more?

Year 3 - 23 wins, NIT 2nd round.
Year 5 - 25 wins, A10T title, NCAAT round of 32.
Year 6 - 1st place A10 regular season, NCAAT round 32.

They both took over a struggling program.

Positives - New practice facility. Larger salary pool for the staff.
Archie's previous success in the A10, Elite 8 appearance with 4 NCAAT bids.

Negatives- NIL effect on recruiting. P5 conference expansion and increasing their conference game schedule.
Relaxed transfer rules, will the better players move up?
All making it more difficult for the mid-majors.
Top A10 schools possibly poached by the NBE, affecting media coverage.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: Where will this program be in 6 years, Hurley's tenure here.

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Nice job with this thread set up, Jersey. Very thought provoking. It should be veeeeery interesting, too. 👍🏼

My first reaction is that success will be similar in timing and ceiling the first six years. Archie has advantages that Dan didn’t have but, as you pointed out, there are new disadvantages as well.

But, then on second thought…Archie very well could end up a year ahead of Dan, assuming no major injuries. So, Archie’s year 2 could look like Dan’s year 3: NCAA bubble / NIT.

Really looking forward to following this thread. I am going to grab some popcorn and enjoy this. 🍿
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Incredible thread 77

I will guess @ worst the success will be similar or better , if he underachieves compared to DH I will be surprised though I guess it’s a possibility, but I’m betting on Arch
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I'll check back on this in 2028.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I guess “both took over struggling programs” is broadly true but the rebuild job Dan had to do after almost 20 years out in the wilderness was a much taller task. That said, 77 has identified some of the larger structural issues that could make the ceiling for URI now a little bit tougher than it was when Dan was here. I think a lot of the yahoos on here that were guaranteeing a tournament appearance in year 1 for Arch are pretty optimistic, but I also don’t expect this to be a 5 year rebuild.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

When Archie last had six years in a gig (Dayton in the A-10 which is an easier job than URI), this was how things went:

Year 1 2011-12 | 20-13 | NIT
Year 2 2012-13 | 17-14 | none
Year 3 2013-14 | 26-11 | NCAA Elite-8
Year 4 2014-15 | 27-9 | NCAA - 2nd Rnd
Year 5 2015-16 | 25-8 | NCAA
Year 6 2016-17 |24-8 | NCAA
Dayton Career | 139-63 | .688
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'd be happy if Archie got us back to the tournament in his third year. While the players he's brought in this year are varying degrees of promising, we're returning literally one average player (Malik Martin) from last year's roster, and we have one other player (Freeman) that we know is an average of above average player at the A-10 level. (Well, probably - Reminder that all players don't improve in a linear fashion, with Ish Leggett, Akeem Richmond and Nikola Malesevic standing out as examples of regression in my mind.)

The variance is out of control with this team, because there are so many question marks, but I'd be happy if they "hit" on 3 or 4 others being regulars on an NCAA-level team. Year two, you get another additional 3 or 4, and maybe you're a fringe NCAA team. And then year three, NCAA berth barring injuries, because I still have bad flashbacks to what happened to Matthews. It would be awesome if Archie got 5+ rotation players in one off-season here, but I think it's unlikely.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Another question relevant to where this program might be in 6 years. Will Archie still be here in 6 years?
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

78, you are going to cause me to lose sleep tonight with that question.

Unless, you mean he takes us on 5 deep tourney runs then, moves on. I could live with that :D
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Another question relevant to where this program might be in 6 years. Will Archie still be here in 6 years?
That was my first thought when this thread started.
0 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Another question relevant to where this program might be in 6 years. Will Archie still be here in 6 years?
beat me to it
0 x
:lol:
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago
beat me to it
He already had a taste of the P5, it didn’t work out so well for him. Maybe he sticks around for a while.
2 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

The inaugural champion of the newly formed Big East/A10 Super Conference beating both PC and UConn in the conference tournament.
2 x
'No Mercy.'
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I posted then deleted a post saying I don’t think Archie will be here in 6 years because I didn’t want to cause a shit storm.
0 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Archie took over a struggling team, Dan took over a struggling program. The first is much easier to turn around than the second.

The transfer situation is as much a positive as it is a negative for a team like URI, imo. I think it would be disappointing if the team isn’t a tournament team or a just miss tournament team by year three. I’m not going to have the tournament as the only criteria for success because, for an A10 team, you can do a lot of things right and still just miss. This also doesn’t count stuff like injuries, which can mess up even the best laid plans.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago Archie took over a struggling team, Dan took over a struggling program. The first is much easier to turn around than the second.

The transfer situation is as much a positive as it is a negative for a team like URI, imo. I think it would be disappointing if the team isn’t a tournament team or a just miss tournament team by year three. I’m not going to have the tournament as the only criteria for success because, for an A10 team, you can do a lot of things right and still just miss. This also doesn’t count stuff like injuries, which can mess up even the best laid plans.
Ace you realize of course that on KB almost all view success as getting to the NCAAT.

Also when looking at the portal over the last couple of years much more higher impact players have left the A10 vs. those that came in.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago Archie took over a struggling team, Dan took over a struggling program. The first is much easier to turn around than the second.

Ace you realize of course that on KB almost all view success as getting to the NCAAT.

Also when looking at the portal over the last couple of years much more higher impact players have left the A10 vs. those that came in.
I don’t care about the A10, I care about Rhody. I think this staff can get really high impact players through the transfer market once they have a full year of coaching and recruiting in.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago

I don’t care about the A10, I care about Rhody. I think this staff can get really high impact players through the transfer market once they have a full year of coaching and recruiting in.
I do too, but the point is the P6 schools keep distancing themselves further and further from the mid- majors.
Becoming much more difficult for schools like URI to be recognized and getting NCAAT bids.

The advantages of the P6 schools have continually gotten greater.

Also, Archie indicated several times that he is not looking to focus on the portal to build his roster.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NCAAs or Bust!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

NCAAs or Bust!
Ramster you have plenty of company on this board.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NCAAs or Bust!
As it should be Jersey77. It’s the title of the Section.
Anyone who doesn’t believe it or agree with it should find another thread, wasting their time and ours being here.
Attachments
D313F8A4-6DB1-460F-BA86-9384C8307F78.jpeg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Will Archie have the same success as Dan, or more?

Negatives- NIL effect on recruiting. P5 conference expansion and increasing their conference game schedule.
You could add a 3rd option or “or less”

Regarding Hurley, recall the JimBaron2.0 Thread where majority of posters were very unhappy with him in year 4. On a rainy day it’s interesting to reread that exhaustive thread.

It’s too early for me to predict, I can hope, but predict? No

An interesting discussion might be what do you think of Archie and staff after the first 6 months of his tenure?
Comparison to UMASS will always be there since same conference, long term rivalry back to the Yankee Conference, both with poor performance and disappointing attendance last year, both fired their Head coaches, both paying their new HC’s the same amount.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Regarding Hurley, recall the JimBaron2.0 Thread where majority of posters were very unhappy with him in year 4. On a rainy day it’s interesting to reread that exhaustive thread.

An interesting discussion might be what do you think of Archie and staff after the first 6 months of his tenure?
Comparison to UMASS will always be there since same conference, long term rivalry back to the Yankee Conference, both with poor performance and disappointing attendance last year, both fired their Head coaches, both paying their new HC’s the same amount.
If he doesn't have the same success as Dan, then the opinion is automatically no.

I prefer not to go back to the Baron2.O thread because I was very much a pro Dan guy.

I feel UMass will have more immediate success because they return Fernandes who play a huge role (16 pts, 21-22)
Plus, Weeks who may not even start (10 pts/5 rebs).
Also Marin signed more immediate/older impact transfers in Cross, Levique, and Kante (who still isn't officially listed on their roster yet)

Archie has a different approach and looking more to the future.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If he doesn't have the same success as Dan, then the opinion is automatically no.

I prefer not to go back to the Baron2.O thread because I was very much a pro Dan guy.

I feel UMass will have more immediate success because they return Fernandes who play a huge role (16 pts, 21-22)
Also Marin signed more immediate/older impact transfers in Cross, Levique, and Kante (who still isn't officially listed on their roster yet)

The reason I mention the JimBaron2.0 thread is to show how things can and do change. I’m more with PMMM, I’ll look back on this thread in 2028 - 6 years from now.

UMASS brought in a number of strong transfers (on paper)….And Freshmen. Lots of communication from UMASS coaching staff on a daily basis. Very different styles between the two staffs. Not saying one is better than the other - bottom line Wins and Losses ultimately define success but the communications styles couldn’t be much more different between the two programs after the first 6 months. Time will tell as it always does.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

My expectations have remained the same since we hired Archie. I expect this year to look like Hurley's second year here, where you could see a lot of good young pieces slowly coming together and by the end of the year you could forecast something special in the next year or two. I expect next year to look like Hurley's third and fifth years here, a young NIT team as the floor with the capability of being on the NCAA bubble and going on a run in the conference tournament. I hope year three looks like Hurley's last year here, but that team was such a wagon that it might not be fair to set that as a goal.

He's going to have more success in the short term than Hurley. Because of the transfer market being what it is, he was able to bring in more pieces to help out in the short term, and as pessimistic as I was the last couple of years the entire program was still in a better place on day one of Archie being here than it was on day one of Dan, in large part because of the improvements Dan was able to get the program to make while he was here.

I don't want to compare what I hope we do in the tournament to what Dan did here. So much of that is out of your control and based on how you're matched up. In both years under Hurley we got very favorable matchups in round one. Unfortunately in his last year here we got one of the teams that was just a matchup nightmare for us in round 2
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago My expectations have remained the same since we hired Archie. I expect this year to look like Hurley's second year here, where you could see a lot of good young pieces slowly coming together and by the end of the year you could forecast something special in the next year or two. I expect next year to look like Hurley's third and fifth years here, a young NIT team as the floor with the capability of being on the NCAA bubble and going on a run in the conference tournament. I hope year three looks like Hurley's last year here, but that team was such a wagon that it might not be fair to set that as a goal.

He's going to have more success in the short term than Hurley. Because of the transfer market being what it is, he was able to bring in more pieces to help out in the short term, and as pessimistic as I was the last couple of years the entire program was still in a better place on day one of Archie being here than it was on day one of Dan, in large part because of the improvements Dan was able to get the program to make while he was here.

I don't want to compare what I hope we do in the tournament to what Dan did here. So much of that is out of your control and based on how you're matched up. In both years under Hurley we got very favorable matchups in round one. Unfortunately in his last year here we got one of the teams that was just a matchup nightmare for us in round 2
I completely agree with your last paragraph. I was begging for OU and Trae Young...then the monkey paw curled and gave us Duke in round 2.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Archie's start stands on top of Dan's work to improve the program.

Archie has also made it to the Elite 8 with an A10 program. Fair to expect more from a guy like that than a guy with the limited experience of DH back when he started.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NCAAs or Bust!
As it should be Jersey77. It’s the title of the Section.
Anyone who doesn’t believe it or agree with it should find another thread, wasting their time and ours being here.
After the last four years, let's say the stars align and we go 21-10 in the regular season, and win one A10 tourney game, get an NIT bid.

I cannot fathom how someone looks at that season, after the Cox debacle, and label that a bust of a season.
3 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Looking back and comparing Cox's last 2 years to that of Baron, both were pretty evenly bad.
Even though we endured a longer dry spell under JB.
But with today's young kids and recruiting, how much of that, they actually remember.
There are both advantages and disadvantages in who has or had the easier path to the NCAAT, DH or Archie.

Also look at the players that returned for both coaches at the time.
We are still well aware of who Archie has: Martin, Ish, Bassy, and Carey

Compare them to when Hurley arrived:
Malsevic (11 pts), Powell (9 pts), Malone (9 pts), and TJ.

Also look at their first assistant staff

Dan- Booby H, Murphy, and Carr.
Archie- KJ, Duane, and Austin.
Impressive group for both.

Just food for thought.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The reason I mention the JimBaron2.0 thread is to show how things can and do change. I’m more with PMMM, I’ll look back on this thread in 2028 - 6 years from now.

UMASS brought in a number of strong transfers (on paper)….And Freshmen. Lots of communication from UMASS coaching staff on a daily basis. Very different styles between the two staffs. Not saying one is better than the other - bottom line Wins and Losses ultimately define success but the communications styles couldn’t be much more different between the two programs after the first 6 months. Time will tell as it always does.
Umass needs to awaken a dormant program. They are in a diff place than us. They almost need Martin to right the ship in 1 year and would be happy as clams to make a CBI. I’m sure they have encouraged him to be vocal on social and while it started out funny it my opinion he now looks more like an “Ok Boomer” type whenever he spouts off. Replying to people with 200 followers. I much prefer Archie’s style - more walk quietly and carry a big stick. Archie knows what he has to do no need for gimmicks.

I do think next year Umass could play to the middle / upper tier bc of a great PG and some solid role pieces around him. Our ceiling is undoubtedly higher in the long term.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Martin will continue to recruit high level talent. It is senseless to predict long-term.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Umass needs to awaken a dormant program. They are in a diff place than us. They almost need Martin to right the ship in 1 year and would be happy as clams to make a CBI. I’m sure they have encouraged him to be vocal on social and while it started out funny it my opinion he now looks more like an “Ok Boomer” type whenever he spouts off. Replying to people with 200 followers. I much prefer Archie’s style - more walk quietly and carry a big stick. Archie knows what he has to do no need for gimmicks.

I do think next year Umass could play to the middle / upper tier bc of a great PG and some solid role pieces around him. Our ceiling is undoubtedly higher in the long term.
Frank is too quick with the block after his "sick burns" but I'd love to see how he reacts to someone saying "ok boomer" to one of his replies
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It will be better and Archie will have at least one sweet 16 appearance.

Check back in 2028.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago It will be better and Archie will have at least one sweet 16 appearance.

Check back in 2028.
At least one Sweet 16, pass the Limoncello.
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago When Archie last had six years in a gig (Dayton in the A-10 which is an easier job than URI), this was how things went:

I just got a woodie.
2 x
Bri234u
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Bri234u »

We will eventually lose to DUKE in the NCAA tournament again.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago When Archie last had six years in a gig (Dayton in the A-10 which is an easier job than URI), this was how things went:

I just got a woodie.
When Archie took over Dayton from Brian Gregory, that was an easier task than what he now faces cleaning up Cox's mess.
His roster was more intact and just 2 seasons prior they won the NIT championship beating Illinois, Miss, and North Carolina.
Also, the year prior to that they made it to the NCAAT round of 32.

Unlike Cox, Gregory moved on to greener pastures as HC of Georgia Tech.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Bri234u wrote: 1 year ago We will eventually lose to DUKE in the NCAA tournament again.
LOL.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Just revisiting this, now that the roster has been updated.
No Ant, Foumena probably redshirting from recent reports, Bilau out 1st semester.

Also looking at other rosrters finalized and upgraded coaching changes, I am giving Archie a longer leash than some here would like.

This season not expecting too much and could be ugly.
Next season looking at improvement and a top half finish.
3rd season an NIT invitation.
4th season hopefully an NCAAT bid.
After that continued conference contenders, as long as Archie stays.
Always need to take into account injuries, that can derail the season.

This puts us 1 year ahead of Hurley getting to the Dance.
Also 1 year (3 seasons) behind when he took over from Brian Gregory.
Although at the time Dayton was in much better shape than what Hurley inherited from Cox.
1 x