'19 Anthony Harris (UNC ---> URI ---> St. Thomas JC)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: Anthony Harris (UNC —>> URI)

Unread post by jcru »

2nd semester perhaps? No insider info, just a guess.

We've seen just about every possible scenario play out over the years.

Unless he can take some sort of distance learning classes prior to the season starting, he would have to physically be here during the season, minimum.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

All this drama concerning Ant is creating much debate on KB.
Is he or isn't going to be part of this roster for 22-23?

Don't think anybody knows for sure at this point.

What we do know is classes started, the rest of the team is here, and still no Ant sighting.

So, until he is on campus and in good standing, I am not counting on him contributing to the team this season.

I was probably the lone exception that didn't feel he would initially be in the starting 5 anyway.

Again, I hope he shows up gets his academics in order, lives up to all the expectations, and becomes a stud player for us.
Although I am not betting my last dollar on it.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I always questioned his two ACL's. Look what one did to EC. Wasn't expecting much anyway.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

My assumptions
#1 He is not on campus
#2 Archie knows what is going on
#3 If he will not be with us, Why wouldn’t Archie announce it?
#4 If he will be with us, why wouldn’t Archie announce it?
#5. Something else is going on (Duh) Betting something related to eligibility
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

And Pending!!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago All this drama concerning Ant is creating much debate on KB.

What we do know is classes started, the rest of the team is here, and still no Ant sighting.

So, until he is on campus and in good standing, I am not counting on him contributing to the team this season.

I was probably the lone exception that didn't feel he would initially be in the starting 5 anyway.

Again, I hope he shows up gets his academics in order, lives up to all the expectations, and becomes a stud player for us.
Idk if he's coming, but if he does, we have to hope he has the talent to be a starter on this current roster. If Ant Harris isn't better than guards like Ish and Carey, then we are in big trouble. The same goes for Cam and Connor. We had one of the weakest backcourts in the conference last season. Bray will help. Ish and Carey could be nice pieces, but they are backups on a top A10 team.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago All this drama concerning Ant is creating much debate on KB.

Idk if he's coming, but if he does, we have to hope he has the talent to be a starter on this current roster. If Ant Harris isn't better than guards like Ish and Carey, then we are in big trouble. The same goes for Cam and Connor. We had one of the weakest backcourts in the conference last season. Bray will help. Ish and Carey could be nice pieces, but they are backups on a top A10 team.
Yeah Stevey he probably has the talent to become a starter (at some point) if he does show up.

But as I said after missing all of the summer practice time with his teammates and still not here, I am not sure Archie would immediately plug him in as a starter day 1 (I did say initially).

If he misses all of the 1st half of the season, do you still think he will start the beginning of 2nd semester?

Remember he hasn't played a game since early January of last season.
Also never had a huge amount of court time even prior to that in his 3 years at UNC.

I hope he does come and can make an immediate impact, just don't know at this point.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago My assumptions
#1 He is not on campus
3. If he won't be with us, why would Archie announce it? No sense talking about players that aren't part of the team.
4. If he will be with us, why would Archie announce it? Nothing has changed, there's just been message board speculation
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
#1 He is not on campus
3. If he won't be with us, why would Archie announce it? No sense talking about players that aren't part of the team.
4. If he will be with us, why would Archie announce it? Nothing has changed, there's just been message board speculation
And if it is an eligibility issue, it's not even a playing eligibility issue. He isn't even on campus. If he can't even enroll into the school and take classes, then that's an even bigger issue.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah Stevey he probably has the talent to become a starter (at some point) if he does show up.

But as I said after missing all of the summer practice time with his teammates and still not here, I am not sure Archie would immediately plug him in as a starter day 1 (I did say initially).

If he misses all of the 1st half of the season, do you still think he will start the beginning of 2nd semester?

Also never had a huge amount of court time even prior to that in his 3 years at UNC.

I hope he does come and can make an immediate impact, just don't know at this point.
I agree he won't start now after not being with the team, and he has some baggage. I worry about any kid that seems to have issues with injuries, and grades for years. It's not a good sign.

I think, as a fanbase, we try to convince ourselves that certain losses may not be a big deal. For example, when many felt Malik Martin would be just as good or better than Tyrese when it's not even close. Now that it looks like Ant isn't playing, I think a few people are trying to downplay the impact he would have made. I know he didn't play much, but he still played. Guys like Ish and Bassy wouldn't even sniff that roster at UNC. If they transfer, they are going to a low major.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if he's not playing, I think Ant is a big loss. Cam and Connor get me very excited as I think both are better than any guard on this team besides Bray. I still think we have tons of talent and plenty to be excited about. Hopefully, everything works out, and we will see Ant in Rhody Blue ASAP.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
#1 He is not on campus
And if it is an eligibility issue, it's not even a playing eligibility issue. He isn't even on campus. If he can't even enroll into the school and take classes, then that's an even bigger issue.
Exactly. That's why I'm confused about how some people here think nothing is going on and he will play right away. I hope they are right, but it seems unrealistic right now.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I agree he won't start now after not being with the team, and he has some baggage. I worry about any kid that seems to have issues with injuries, and grades for years. It's not a good sign.

I think, as a fanbase, we try to convince ourselves that certain losses may not be a big deal. For example, when many felt Malik Martin would be just as good or better than Tyrese when it's not even close. Now that it looks like Ant isn't playing, I think a few people are trying to downplay the impact he would have made. I know he didn't play much, but he still played. Guys like Ish and Bassy wouldn't even sniff that roster at UNC. If they transfer, they are going to a low major.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if he's not playing, I think Ant is a big loss. Cam and Connor get me very excited as I think both are better than any guard on this team besides Bray. I still think we have tons of talent and plenty to be excited about. Hopefully, everything works out, and we will see Ant in Rhody Blue ASAP.
I agree Stevey, if he doesn't show up it will be a big loss, I was looking forward to watching him.

Even so he probably wouldn't be with us more than 2 seasons, which would be 5 years total for him.
Thinking he probably will be playing pro ball somewhere after that, not sure he would be interested in school another year.

Actually, at this point, I am more excited about Dubs and Cam, because they are our future.

My expectations for us this season aren't that high anyway, but I want us to be competitive.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

If he shows I would not expect 2 years - like Jalen, the time has come to make some money playing basketball while you can. I assumed he was going to use this season as a showcase of what he can do given more minutes.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago If he shows I would not expect 2 years - like Jalen, the time has come to make some money playing basketball while you can. I assumed he was going to use this season as a showcase of what he can do given more minutes.
I disagree. Archie preached how he wanted to bring in guys that had multiple years left so we could grow as a team. Why would he use a scholarship on a kid that has baggage and is a significant risk if he’s planning on leaving after one season? I would guess they discussed Ant being here for a minimum of two years. Archie could have gone after a safe 5th-year guard if he wanted a one-year rental .
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A transfer who committed in May and who hasn’t played in a game since January not yet being on campus with classes already started is a story. Saying it’s not is weirdly obtuse. I don’t expect the coaches to address it until they have to, that part doesn’t bother me at all, but it’s clearly not how they saw this going.

Bigger picture, imo- the decision-makers already made the most important move with hiring Archie. This season we should expect to see growth, in whatever way you want to measure that, and the team should play hard and with purpose, but the details aren’t all that important to me. I just don’t see any one move or personnel decision as that critical. The stakes are pretty low, imo.

FWIW, here’s what Miller said about Harris in the Blue Ribbon write-up: “Highly regarded guy who’s been a role player at North Carolina and wanted more of an opportunity to play and have the ball in his hands. I think he can be one of the best two-way guards in our league in time.” He used “in time” with regards to Weston, too. Not sure if that’s just a phrase he likes to use in general or if he’s trying to promote patience.
9 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago A transfer who committed in May and who hasn’t played in a game since January not yet being on campus with classes already started is a story. Saying it’s not is weirdly obtuse. I don’t expect the coaches to address it until they have to, that part doesn’t bother me at all, but it’s clearly not how they saw this going.

Bigger picture, imo- the decision-makers already made the most important move with hiring Archie. This season we should expect to see growth, in whatever way you want to measure that, and the team should play hard and with purpose, but the details aren’t all that important to me. I just don’t see any one move or personnel decision as that critical. The stakes are pretty low, imo.

FWIW, here’s what Miller said about Harris in the Blue Ribbon write-up: “Highly regarded guy who’s been a role player at North Carolina and wanted more of an opportunity to play and have the ball in his hands. I think he can be one of the best two-way guards in our league in time.” He used “in time” with regards to Weston, too. Not sure if that’s just a phrase he likes to use in general or if he’s trying to promote patience.
He is absolutely promoting patience.
Tempering our expectations and maybe not putting too much pressure on these players to make an immediate significant impact on the team.

As Archie said "We will be good when we are good".
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

The Providence Journal:

Academic woes will delay UNC transfer Anthony Harris' enrollment at URI

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 058067001/
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago If he shows I would not expect 2 years - like Jalen, the time has come to make some money playing basketball while you can. I assumed he was going to use this season as a showcase of what he can do given more minutes.
I disagree. Archie preached how he wanted to bring in guys that had multiple years left so we could grow as a team. Why would he use a scholarship on a kid that has baggage and is a significant risk if he’s planning on leaving after one season? I would guess they discussed Ant being here for a minimum of two years. Archie could have gone after a safe 5th-year guard if he wanted a one-year rental .
Now that he is out until December I agree with you he is here next year. Don’t doubt for a minute though if he showed up this year on time and averaged 12-15 pts a game he we would have gone pro.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

If this holds up and we get him 2nd semester then this seems like the greatest solution for him in furthering his education and for us to cheer for his basketball talent

It’s a win win - hope he does well at JC and setting himself up for success
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

After missing all this time with the team and now 1st semester of OOC play, I am tempering my expectations for his immediate impact once he is able to enroll 2nd semester.

I hope he gets his grades in order and concentrates on his academics.

Not sure how long it will take him to mesh with his teammates and learn Archie's system.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Top transfers always miss the PC games now. We’ll at least we know.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
Now that he is out until December I agree with you he is here next year. Don’t doubt for a minute though if he showed up this year on time and averaged 12-15 pts a game he we would have gone pro.
That's an extremely extremely hot take as he's shown little to just say he'd average 12-15 and then go pro after this season.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

That's an extremely extremely hot take as he's shown little to just say he'd average 12-15 and then go pro after this season.
15 I agree, to say he would have that large of an impact this season and then go pro is a huge reach.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago After missing all this time with the team and now 1st semester of OOC play, I am tempering my expectations for his immediate impact once he is able to enroll 2nd semester.

Not sure how long it will take him to mesh with his teammates and learn Archie's system.
I agree with this. Will be surprised if he has much of an impact this year, if he even ends up here. If grades are the reason why he missed the last three months of the season at UNC (and it is very likely that is the reason) and he had eight months to get his academic house in order and failed to do so, not filled with confidence that he ever plays a second for URI. Hope I am wrong we shall see. And this is a loss, I expected him to have a Stan Robinson type impact on the team as a very good defensive player and know his role on offense.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Because there is none
Just to confirm. Do you believe that nothing is going on with Ant Harris, and he will be playing this season?
Well Ramster, I was hoping you were right that nothing was going on but unfortunately we lose a big piece for our first semester.

It was obvious he wasn’t going to be playing right away so I view this as good news. I thought he may be completely off the team after we brought on two 23’ guards. Let’s hope he’s playing at some point this season.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago After missing all this time with the team and now 1st semester of OOC play, I am tempering my expectations for his immediate impact once he is able to enroll 2nd semester.

I agree with this. Will be surprised if he has much of an impact this year, if he even ends up here. If grades are the reason why he missed the last three months of the season at UNC (and it is very likely that is the reason) and he had eight months to get his academic house in order and failed to do so, not filled with confidence that he ever plays a second for URI. Hope I am wrong we shall see. And this is a loss, I expected him to have a Stan Robinson type impact on the team as a very good defensive player and know his role on offense.
I’m not going to lose hope on this kid yet. It seems like we have a plan in place and Archie has faith he’ll be playing this season. I think we will see him playing in Rhody Blue.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The rumor about him missing the last 3 months was that he decked his teammate, who was about 6'11". Supposedly his other teammates backed him on this as the guy he decked was supposedly a jerk, but I guess the coach didn't like it. At least that's what I heard. Ant is a very tough guy.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

15 I agree, to say he would have that large of an impact this season and then go pro is a huge reach.
Eh - not that huge really. Maybe the 15 pt upper range, but come in and average 10 - 12 pts a game is not crazy. Going pro does not mean playing in the NBA. Just needs to do enough to get a contract oversees.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The rumor about him missing the last 3 months was that he decked his teammate, who was about 6'11". Supposedly his other teammates backed him on this as the guy he decked was supposedly a jerk, but I guess the coach didn't like it. At least that's what I heard. Ant is a very tough guy.
That program has just been a little weird over the last few years. Kessler transferring out was very very strange. Usually the bigs from UNC go to the NBA and not Auburn. Then they were bad many times during the season last year and then they figure out how to become world beaters. And now they basically return all the key contributors despite having guys leave early for as long as anyone can remember. Hopefully Ant shows up and he's good.

Production is key but also with the high level transfers can bring other factors that help the team that don't show up on the stat sheet.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Reality is... he will never play for URI
He is 22 and not interested in academics, which is fine. He will find something overseas that will pay him a few bucks.
Time to move on from this thread and focus on the guys playing this year and who have committed for next year.

Good Luck Anthony Harris!!!
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If that is the case, others will have to step up.

I don't fault Archie for trying here, but people are left wondering what is going on with weeks to go before the season, should be addressed.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago If that is the case, others will have to step up.

I don't fault Archie for trying here, but people are left wondering what is going on with weeks to go before the season, should be addressed.
I'm pretty sure the players and coaches know what's going on. That's who should be addressed and I'm sure they have been
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

#1 He is not on campus
Tomorrow was the last day to register for classes before late registration. When it became clear Harris would not be attending URI this semester and would be attending a junior college we got a statement from the program. This is a professionally run program now with a head coach that knows how to be a head coach, fans should respond accordingly
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rjv wrote: 1 year ago Reality is... he will never play for URI
He is 22 and not interested in academics, which is fine. He will find something overseas that will pay him a few bucks.
Time to move on from this thread and focus on the guys playing this year and who have committed for next year.

Archie’s not giving up on him. Neither am I.

I think Harris can figure this out and will play for our program.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 1 year ago

That program has just been a little weird over the last few years. Kessler transferring out was very very strange. Usually the bigs from UNC go to the NBA and not Auburn. Then they were bad many times during the season last year and then they figure out how to become world beaters. And now they basically return all the key contributors despite having guys leave early for as long as anyone can remember. Hopefully Ant shows up and he's good.

Production is key but also with the high level transfers can bring other factors that help the team that don't show up on the stat sheet.
The program just went to the national title game last season, that's considered weird to you?
0 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago I'm pretty sure the players and coaches know what's going on. That's who should be addressed and I'm sure they have been
Oh, O-kay.

I guess this is going to get the "Kevin Brown Jr" treatment. First game comes and Harris doesn't suit up, in this case, isn't even on campus, the implied response is like "what? You didn't know? Well, we knew for ages. Surprise"
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago Reality is... he will never play for URI

Archie’s not giving up on him. Neither am I.

I think Harris can figure this out and will play for our program.
There's really nothing to "figure out." Just do the damn school work. D1 teams have tutors, advisors, mandatory study halls, etc. Never will understand how athletes let academics get in the way of playing their respective sport.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Hey, it's ok. Because this signing produced a lot of hype, and may have been a factor in subsequent signings this summer, because everything in college basketball is based on momentum. so, to that end, still worth it. Even if they knew from square numero uno that he wasn't going to be here academically.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm wondering if he would have suited up for the Tarheels this season. Couldn't have right?
0 x
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

In some ways, the Kevin Brown Jr example/analogy is a very appropriate one.

Because if you look at URI Football, almost the entire program went supernova based on the Kevin Brown Jr signing. He got signed, had a great what, 4-5 games in that truncated covid season, juiced the hype up to infinity, which led to loads and loads of high quality player signings.

And now, this is the second season, he's not even playing. But he already did the football program a tremendous service by coming here, whether he plays another game or not. I do wish to see him play again.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago I'm pretty sure the players and coaches know what's going on. That's who should be addressed and I'm sure they have been
Oh, O-kay.

I guess this is going to get the "Kevin Brown Jr" treatment. First game comes and Harris doesn't suit up, in this case, isn't even on campus, the implied response is like "what? You didn't know? Well, we knew for ages. Surprise"
If by Kevin Brown treatment you mean college athletes have a right to some privacy and fans don't have the right to all the information, then yes, I suppose this is going to get the Kevin Brown treatment. And the program spoke about what's going on today, not at the first game, almost two months before said game. Sorry that wasn't enough time for you to plan and you think you deserve more
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I didn't see where the program spoke about what is going on today. Is there a link to that?

And I never said I DESERVE more. I "matter of factly" stated that we typically get news that is weeks old the day of the game.

... ok I see the link now
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

oh, one more thing.

I think having to learn about Kevin Brown Jr the day of URI vs Stony Brook the day of the game, hours before the game begins, is annoying as all get out, sure, but at the same time I realize there are certain advantages keeping these things to yourself gives the program, so in that spirit, that is the reason I don't feel like I "deserve more" because ultimately I place winning well over any personal curiosities I might have.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I didn't see where the program spoke about what is going on today. Is there a link to that?

And I never said I DESERVE more. I "matter of factly" stated that we typically get news that is weeks old the day of the game.

... ok I see the link now
“Our goal with every person we bring into the program is to set them up for success both on and off the basketball court,” URI coach Archie Miller said in a statement. “Anthony is a key part of what we are building at Rhode Island, and we will continue to work with him and support him in every way possible. Our plan is to have him here with us before the new year.”
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Disappointing turn of events but, we will be okay. Plus, there’s still a chance he eventually joins the team if he gets his academics in order.

I don’t know the cause of his academic issues and would rather not speculate as to why. Hopefully, Ant’s plan with the staff works out well for him and the team.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago oh, one more thing.

I think having to learn about Kevin Brown Jr the day of URI vs Stony Brook the day of the game, hours before the game begins, is annoying as all get out, sure, but at the same time I realize there are certain advantages keeping these things to yourself gives the program, so in that spirit, that is the reason I don't feel like I "deserve more" because ultimately I place winning well over any personal curiosities I might have.
That is a very good point that the less info out in the world means more your opponent has to worry about
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago oh, one more thing.

That is a very good point that the less info out in the world means more your opponent has to worry about
Unless you’re David Cox and you plan for Tre Mitchell (I think it was Tre?) despite numerous reports hes injured and not playing.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Getting a top tier player boost for 2nd semester would be huge. Staff announced A Harris status at the proper time. We have absolutely nothing to complain about here. Quite the opposite IMO.

Hopefully now this thread can take a nap…..
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Disappointing turn of events but, we will be okay. Plus, there’s still a chance he eventually joins the team if he gets his academics in order.

I don’t know the cause of his issues and would rather not speculate as to why. Hopefully, Ant’s plan with the staff works out well for him and the team.
I would expect him to be here before January, based on Archie's comments.

But let's face it nothing is guaranteed until he is enrolled and on campus.
Lots can happen between now and then.

Even then, he still needs to maintain his academics to stay eligible.

Right now, I am more focused on the players that are here.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 1 year ago

The program just went to the national title game last season, that's considered weird to you?
And Walker Kessler transferred because Roy Williams moved away from their traditional 2 starting bigs to just 1 and knew he wasn't getting many minutes with Bacot coming in.
1 x