'19 Anthony Harris (UNC ---> URI ---> St. Thomas JC)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Anthony Harris (UNC —>> URI)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 1 year ago Ramster, your speculation on what others feel is based on zero facts. You just conjured that up in your head.
I have none of the feelings or thoughts you mentioned. I know Stevey and Jersey (both who have commented on this topic) have none of the feelings you mentioned.
In Archie Miller we trust.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 1 year ago
I’ll file this in the same place that I filed the “RhodyVault Guarantee that Tre Mitchell will be a URI Ram” tweet.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Wasn't it obvious when he wasn't here in June?
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
I’ll file this in the same place that I filed the “RhodyVault Guarantee that Tre Mitchell will be a URI Ram” tweet.
In fairness he isn’t saying anything of substance in this tweet. Just restating facts we already know
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Wasn't it obvious when he wasn't here in June?
No
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
In fairness he isn’t saying anything of substance in this tweet. Just restating facts we already know
I think this tweet (along with his previous one) is purposely stirring the pot because of his disconnect with Archie and the staff.

RV brings nothing new to the party, which we all weren't already aware of.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Vault got an interview with Sean Miller
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He does a nice job with the interviews, I must say.
2 x
GO RAMS
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Agreed. That’s his forte but as a result when he started talking insider info and predictions we thought there was some credibility there. Not so much.
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

I think this tweet (along with his previous one) is purposely stirring the pot because of his disconnect with Archie and the staff.

Sure, but that doesn’t bother me. Staff doesn’t owe him anything, and he doesn’t owe them anything as well.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sure, but that doesn’t bother me. Staff doesn’t owe him anything, and he doesn’t owe them anything as well.

📞 I reached out to the staff for comment but did not hear anything.

Ya don’t say. And don’t expect to hear anything either. He burned whatever bridge he had and continues to go about building a bridge the wrong way. Tre Mitchell misinformation was just one example of where he went wrong.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, it will be nice if he eventually shows up, but I am not holding my breath.

Let's not make it out that he would have been our savior, he comes with baggage.
The fact that he hadn't played since Jan 8th due to undisclosed reasons plus his 2 ACL injuries (both knees) gives us reason to pause.
He never quite lived up to his recruiting hype at UNC, playing very little in his 3 years there.

Sure, he would be a boost to our backcourt, but just how much, who knows.

Bray was our best get in the off-season.
Bassy needs to keep building from his freshman year and hopefully both Ish and Carey have upped their game.

Weston has the talent and athleticism, just needs to stay healthy.
He can play either CG or wing.

Martin is our glue guy.

We should be fine going forward and love the 2 guards we added for 23-24.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I will be pretty ticked if he’s not coming. That’s blue blood talent.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Yes, it will be nice if he eventually shows up, but I am not holding my breath.

Let's not make it out that he would have been our savior, he comes with baggage.
The fact that he hadn't played since Jan 8th due to undisclosed reasons plus his 2 ACL injuries (both knees) gives us reason to pause.
He never quite lived up to his recruiting hype at UNC, playing very little in his 3 years there.

Bassy needs to keep building from his freshman year and hopefully both Ish and Carey have upped their game.

Martin is our glue guy.

We are picked preseason 10th. How much does the loss of any player really hurt the team.
Building for next year.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Yes, it will be nice if he eventually shows up, but I am not holding my breath.

Martin is our glue guy.

We are picked preseason 10th. How much does the loss of any player really hurt the team.
Building for next year.
Yep
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Regarding his health, he looked very healthy in that workout video that he posted a couple of months ago. Moving very well and getting way up for a slam.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Martin is our glue guy.

Building for next year.
Yep

this is ridiculous and ECR is COMPLETELY AGAINST this defeatist attitude

my goodness, why even play the games if we are picked "10th"

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I agree that Bray is fantastic, Jersey, but I still think Weston was the best get. That kid has POY talent.

Talent-wise, Ant Harris is a loss. I think he is better than Bassy and Ish and would be better than Cam and Connor as freshmen. BUT, Bassy and Ish BLEED Rhody blue. These kids are working their asses off to improve their game to help this program get back to where it needs to be. I have no idea what is going on with Ant, and I hope it all works out. I wish the kid nothing but the best. IF he is still incapable of working hard to get his grades to where he needs to be, that worries me. Look at someone like Lou Hutch. That kid takes his academics seriously, and I genuinely believe players that like succeed more than players that don't give a shit about classes. I want kids like Hutch wearing Rhody blue.

The truth is we have so many moving parts. Who knows what type of roster we will have next season. If Archie feels we need a veteran guard like Ant Harris next season, I'm sure he can land one of the million available transfers. But, I'm focusing on the kids on campus, giving Archie and our staff their all.

We get to see Archie Miller coaching this team very soon. I still can't believe it.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What about Carey? I thought you were very high in him.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago What about Carey? I thought you were very high on him.
I mainly focused on guys that could be back next season since this year isn't about wins. It's about growth and getting an identity back for our program. I wouldn't say I'm very high on him. I'm very high on guys like Weston, Foumena, and Bray. Very high to me means they could eventually be the top option on a championship-level team. I don't envison Carey being that. However, I think Carey will have his best season as a starter or one of the first guards off the bench. He was horrible in his first season and looked like a different player last year. Based on Archie's comments, he's taking another turn in the right direction, so I'm excited to see what type of player he will be in Archie's system.

I know you don't feel Archie should have brought him back. So we'll see what happens.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago What about Carey? I thought you were very high on him.
I mainly focused on guys that could be back next season since this year isn't about wins. It's about growth and getting an identity back for our program. I wouldn't say I'm very high on him. I'm very high on guys like Weston, Foumena, and Bray. Very high to me means they could eventually be the top option on a championship-level team. I don't envison Carey being that. However, I think Carey will have his best season as a starter or one of the first guards off the bench. He was horrible in his first season and looked like a different player last year. Based on Archie's comments, he's taking another turn in the right direction, so I'm excited to see what type of player he will be in Archie's system.

I know you don't feel Archie should have brought him back. So we'll see what happens.
If you had Bray, Weston and Harris as starters like I have in my mind, then losing Harris is potentially a bigger deal. But if you had Carey starting with Bray, Weston then losing Harris is not so critical.

I’m not a Carey fan as you know, never have been, but if this a rebuilding year like you said then it makes less sense to me to play Carey who is going into his 5th year of college. Go with the young guys. Build for 2023-2024.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I am concerned,but, have to believe if Ant was not coming, there is no reason that Archie would not have an official announcement.

I guess with classes starting tomorrow, we should not have to wait much longer for the answer.

Furthermore, since the timing of this seems weird combined with the "silence" on the issue, I would not be surprised if the NCAA has somehow gotten involved in this.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I agree. Classes haven’t even started yet. No announcements.
All is fine.

Until it isn’t.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

If you had Bray, Weston and Harris as starters like I have in my mind, then losing Harris is potentially a bigger deal. But if you had Carey starting with Bray, Weston then losing Harris is not so critical.

I’m not a Carey fan as you know, never have been, but if this a rebuilding year like you said then it makes less sense to me to play Carey who is going into his 5th year of college. Go with the young guys. Build for 2023-2024.
There isn't much correlation between just giving guys playing time and future performance. Go look at the bad Baron teams - Plenty of guys got 20+ MPG on them, and most of them were still bad or marginal players by the time they were seniors. College is a different beast than professional sports, where you have players in their 30s with clearly atrophying skills. Usually, if a guy deserves to play, he's going to force himself into the lineup via play in practice.

If any of the incoming freshmen are ready to play, I imagine Archie is going to find them 10 to 20 MPG. Forcing Carey to the bench to play them 30+ instead isn't going to matter. And arguably, I think it's much better to establish in practice that your performance matters when it comes to playing time, vs. whether you're a freshman or a fifth year senior, or something in-between. Hurley just played the best player - even if it meant difficult decisions, like benching Jarvis Garrett - and I suspect Archie is going to do the same thing.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I had Ant starting like most on here. Archie will play the young point guard of our future in Bray. The other two guards of our future won't be on the roster until next season.

I'm all for playing the young guys if they earn it. Very excited to see wings/bigs like Weston, Tchikou, and Foumena play. If Rory can keep up with the game's speed, I'd love to see him drain some 3s. It sounded like Hutch may redshirt, but who knows? Maybe he'll have a role.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Big year for Carey if he has his sights on playing pro ball somewhere. Hopefully, that motivation benefits the team versus him going rogue. I am confident Archie and staff are providing him with very good advice.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I agree that Bray is fantastic, Jersey, but I still think Weston was the best get. That kid has POY talent.

Talent-wise, Ant Harris is a loss. I think he is better than Bassy and Ish and would be better than Cam and Connor as freshmen. BUT, Bassy and Ish BLEED Rhody blue. These kids are working their asses off to improve their game to help this program get back to where it needs to be. I have no idea what is going on with Ant, and I hope it all works out. I wish the kid nothing but the best. IF he is still incapable of working hard to get his grades to where he needs to be, that worries me. Look at someone like Lou Hutch. That kid takes his academics seriously, and I genuinely believe players that like succeed more than players that don't give a shit about classes. I want kids like Hutch wearing Rhody blue.

The truth is we have so many moving parts. Who knows what type of roster we will have next season. If Archie feels we need a veteran guard like Ant Harris next season, I'm sure he can land one of the million available transfers. But, I'm focusing on the kids on campus, giving Archie and our staff their all.

We get to see Archie Miller coaching this team very soon. I still can't believe it.
Yes Stevey, I think Weston potentially could be our best get.
The problem with him and what the SH fans felt was his ability to stay healthy.
Once he recovered from his ACl, he then had ankle issues.

Weston was Seton Hall's highest rated recruit since Whitehead and their fans were frustrated and felt cheated by not having the opportunity to see him play.

Bray has already proved himself and he can be used both as a PG (which is badly needed) and CG.

But yeah, I hope Weston becomes the stud that he is probably capable of being.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

There isn't much correlation between just giving guys playing time and future performance. Go look at the bad Baron teams - Plenty of guys got 20+ MPG on them, and most of them were still bad or marginal players by the time they were seniors. College is a different beast than professional sports, where you have players in their 30s with clearly atrophying skills. Usually, if a guy deserves to play, he's going to force himself into the lineup via play in practice.

If any of the incoming freshmen are ready to play, I imagine Archie is going to find them 10 to 20 MPG. Forcing Carey to the bench to play them 30+ instead isn't going to matter. And arguably, I think it's much better to establish in practice that your performance matters when it comes to playing time, vs. whether you're a freshman or a fifth year senior, or something in-between. Hurley just played the best player - even if it meant difficult decisions, like benching Jarvis Garrett - and I suspect Archie is going to do the same thing.
On the point that playing younger guys doesn't matter:
Point 1. There is no way I am going to go back and look at Jim Baron teams for anything. That guy got handed a magnificent building like the Ryan Center and pissed that advantage away. 11 wasted years.

Point 2. Billyboy and I don't agree on everything but on this I am sure he will. Jack Kraft brought in Jiggy Williamson, Stan Wright, Randy Wilds and Vic Soares for his 2nd year and 1st recruiting class. He gave them playing time early on and in starting positions. He kept Mark Cizynski and Carlton Smith but he let a number of players from his 1st year go so he could insert his recruits. He added in John Nelson the next year. Willie Middlebrooks and Percy Davis were walk-ons who developed into solid players. Kraft developed his core, played them lots of minutes and THEN he added the magical, franchise player, greatest I've ever seen at URI in Sylvester "Sly" Williams. Kraft had built the foundation from which Williams could and did flourish. Kraft also added Irv Chatman who transferred from Tennessee and became the rim protecting, rebounding, shot blocking center who anchored the middle. That 1978 NCAA Team was magical, developed by a magical Head Coach in Jack Kraft. You couldn't tell Jack that going with the young guys from the start wouldn't make a difference.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

On the point that playing younger guys doesn't matter:
Point 1. There is no way I am going to go back and look at Jim Baron teams for anything. That guy got handed a magnificent building like the Ryan Center and pissed that advantage away. 11 wasted years.

Point 2. Billyboy and I don't agree on everything but on this I am sure he will. Jack Kraft brought in Jiggy Williamson, Stan Wright, Randy Wilds and Vic Soares for his 2nd year and 1st recruiting class. He gave them playing time early on and in starting positions. He kept Mark Cizynski and Carlton Smith but he let a number of players from his 1st year go so he could insert his recruits. He added in John Nelson the next year. Willie Middlebrooks and Percy Davis were walk-ons who developed into solid players. Kraft developed his core, played them lots of minutes and THEN he added the magical, franchise player, greatest I've ever seen at URI in Sylvester "Sly" Williams. Kraft had built the foundation from which Williams could and did flourish. Kraft also added Irv Chatman who transferred from Tennessee and became the rim protecting, rebounding, shot blocking center who anchored the middle. That 1978 NCAA Team was magical, developed by a magical Head Coach in Jack Kraft. You couldn't tell Jack that going with the young guys from the start wouldn't make a difference.
They did. And they started off their freshmen years going 0-14, had some growing pains and were 1 basket away from the sweet 16 in their senior years.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Ramster, my counter argument would be this - All those guys were good the second they arrived at URI anyway. Thanks to the wonders of the Internet, you can look up the stats for all of them. You were arguing that Archie should just bench Carey and other older players for freshmen, but your examples from the Kraft years are all freshmen that clearly deserved the minutes they got.

Middlebrooks is a nice story - He played 177 minutes across two years, which is half as much time as Sebastian Thomas logged last year. (Note: Sports Reference can be lacking in some older, pre-1990s stats, but they seem correct for the other players in that time frame.) That 77-78 team was good because they had a sophomore named Sly Williams playing 31.2 MPG, which came after his freshman year of 35 MPG immediately, and the other guy at forward was a four-year player who was so good as a freshman, he didn't leave the court for URI until logging four years and 3,600+ minutes. Those guys all played big minutes immediately because they were good - they weren't good because they played the minutes. Once Irv Chatman got into town, Randy Wilds minutes were cut in half.

There isn't a ton of evidence that Kraft's guys "improved" a ton, his teams were good like most teams were good - He was really good at scouting talent and signing players that fit the team he wanted. Like, I guess you can hang your hat on someone like Horace Owens, who was recruited by Kraft and finished under English. He went from 12.3 PPG as a freshman to 22.3 PPG as a senior... Except that his shot attempts doubled in that time span as well, and his FG percentage was mostly the same (47.3, down to 44.7 as he shot more), suggesting he probably could have just done that from Day 1.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Ramster, my counter argument would be this - All those guys were good the second they arrived at URI anyway. Thanks to the wonders of the Internet, you can look up the stats for all of them. You were arguing that Archie should just bench Carey and other older players for freshmen, but your examples from the Kraft years are all freshmen that clearly deserved the minutes they got.

Middlebrooks is a nice story - He played 177 minutes across two years, which is half as much time as Sebastian Thomas logged last year. (Note: Sports Reference can be lacking in some older, pre-1990s stats, but they seem correct for the other players in that time frame.) That 77-78 team was good because they had a sophomore named Sly Williams playing 31.2 MPG, which came after his freshman year of 35 MPG immediately, and the other guy at forward was a four-year player who was so good as a freshman, he didn't leave the court for URI until logging four years and 3,600+ minutes. Those guys all played big minutes immediately because they were good - they weren't good because they played the minutes. Once Irv Chatman got into town, Randy Wilds minutes were cut in half.

There isn't a ton of evidence that Kraft's guys "improved" a ton, his teams were good like most teams were good - He was really good at scouting talent and signing players that fit the team he wanted. Like, I guess you can hang your hat on someone like Horace Owens, who was recruited by Kraft and finished under English. He went from 12.3 PPG as a freshman to 22.3 PPG as a senior... Except that his shot attempts doubled in that time span as well, and his FG percentage was mostly the same (47.3, down to 44.7 as he shot more), suggesting he probably could have just done that from Day 1.
Back in those days, URI also had what they called a sub-varsity team. Percy Davis and Willie Middlebrooks both played on that team early in their URI careers. The best part of their story is that they were both from Warwick, RI. They also were cousins.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

This year isn’t about wins ??

What ?!?!??

Apollo Creed could have used you in Rocky IV
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Everything is about today forget tomorrow. This is the way the NCAA wants it. 50% or more of the players on the team this year will not be on the team next year.
Start drinking the koolaid

ITS ALL ABOUT THE WINS...........PERIOD
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago

This year isn't about wins ??

What ?!?!??

Apollo Creed could have used you in Rocky IV
Ugh, do I really need to explain what I meant? Obviously, we all want to win and that's the most important thing.

I'll give you an example of my point. We went 14-18 and 5-11 in the A10 during EC and Hass Martin's first year. A random person could look at that record and say it was a bad year. When the truth is it was a very exciting year. You could see a well-coached team on the floor. Our team had an identity. You knew that once those key pieces developed, they would lead this team to a bid, which they did.

I expect a team like that this season. I think we will have a better record than that, but repeating that this team will land a bid is ridiculous. I hope you're right, but I expect plenty of growing pains which is completely fine in a year one of a full rebuild.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago I agree. Classes haven’t even started yet. No announcements.
All is fine.

Until it isn’t.
Pretty sure classes started this week
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rjv wrote: 1 year ago Everything is about today forget tomorrow. This is the way the NCAA wants it. 50% or more of the players on the team this year will not be on the team next year.

Of course, we would all love to see our team have much success this season.
I want them to be competitive and very curious to see our new players and the improvement of our holdovers.
Also, anxious to watch Archie coach on the sidelines.

But realistically I have no high expectations for this team 22-23.

So, if it's all about the wins ... period and this team finishes in the bottom half of the conference, I guess you would feel that Archie failed.

I also disagree that we will have 50% turnover after the season.
He brought in young players to build for the future, and I would expect a little more continuity.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

No news at this point to me is better then having news.
0 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

rjv wrote: 1 year ago Everything is about today forget tomorrow. This is the way the NCAA wants it. 50% or more of the players on the team this year will not be on the team next year.

Limoncello Kool Aid !
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago I agree. Classes haven’t even started yet. No announcements.
All is fine.

Until it isn’t.
Hillclimber busses were full today from lower lot
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Seems like it’d be fairly unusual for any student to start classes mid semester and be eligible.

Have to think if he’s not on campus yet, best case scenario is he’s eligible beginning 2Nd semester
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago Seems like it’d be fairly unusual for any student to start classes mid semester and be eligible.

Have to think if he’s not on campus yet, best case scenario is he’s eligible beginning 2Nd semester
It's 2022, so he could just be taking online courses. But the radio silence from all sides doesn't really lead to optimism here.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

All is fine.

Until it isn’t.
Correct, they started Wednesday
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I believe we were 7-20 in Tyson frosh season and that worked out pretty well by their senior season
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Regarding his health, he looked very healthy in that workout video that he posted a couple of months ago. Moving very well and getting way up for a slam.
He seems to have recovered from his ACL.

The concern is that after already having 2 major injuries, will his body hold up through the course of the season.

His health history and the current undisclosed issue doesn't make me feel overly optimistic about him.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

The suspense is killing this fan base. How is there no news yet?
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Because there is none
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Because there is none
Just to confirm. Do you believe that nothing is going on with Ant Harris, and he will be playing this season?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just to confirm. Do you believe that nothing is going on with Ant Harris, and he will be playing this season?
I believe he will be playing this season.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I believe he will be playing this season.
Where?
0 x