2022 Football Game 1 - URI at Stony Brook, Thurs. Sept. 1, 7 p.m.

All things Rhody Rams football.
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Re: GM 1 Football @ Stony Brook Time 7pm Thursday Sept 1 2022

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Finally got sound. Just in time for halftime
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

All 4 units have scored:
Rhody offense and defense
Stony Brook offense and defense

Who’s going to win the second half?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

No more Steve McDonald?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What a 22 yard catch by Caleb Warren at the Stony Brook 27 yard line
It’s good that they are reviewing it because we get to see multiple replays of it. As the announcer says it was an NFL catch.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Woo-hoo!!!
0 x
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago What a 22 yard catch by Caleb Warren at the Stony Brook 27 yard line
It’s good that they are reviewing it because we get to see multiple replays of it. As the announcer says it was an NFL catch.
never would have known from watching it on Flo if not for the replays… the camerawork is awful.
Last edited by HobbyBurley 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I think it’s about time the kids name go on the jersey. We all know the program is stuck in the 80’s but come on.
Can URI not act like small time. We have a high school scoreboard at least put the names on the jerseys.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

HobbyBurley wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago What a 22 yard catch by Caleb Warren at the Stony Brook 27 yard line
never would have known from watching it live on Flo if not for the replays… the camerawork is awful.
That’s why I’m glad they decided to review it, plus the fact it was such a great catch including superb footwork to stay inbounds.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Stadium now very quiet.
28-14 Rhody
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

89 Roark and 82 Warren both in as dual tight ends on this drive

Tough break as FG attempt hits the upright
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Boom. Slow start but looking every part of a top 25 team now.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Nice win!
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Great start!
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Defense only gave up 250 yards and a lot of that (83 yards) was on QB scrambles. Plus 3 interceptions including a pick six. Nice road win.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

35-14 win for URI. Very convincing on offense, defense and special teams. I saw 2.5 point underdog yesterday and then today the game was pick-em so to win by 21 points on the road is awesome.

URI held Lawson to only 46 yards on 20 carries. Excellent defense up front from 44-Makszin, 11-Arrington, 52-Burby, 99 Neal and 54-Brown who is a monster at 6'3" 340 pounds to combine to limit Lawson

Jaylyn Smith with 81 yards on 13 carries and Transfer from St Francis Deshields 65 yards on 11 carries - both outperforming the heralded Lawson

and the amazing Jordan Jones with 2 interceptions, 1 for a touchdown.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Rhody Rhody Rhody!!!
1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Great Game. Good Rhody turnout. Mix of families/friends and Long Island/NYC Rhody Alums. Also a bunch of Native Rhode Islanders made the trip. Just a few observations- Sat by the defensive benches and they were locked in. Henry Yianakopolis and Evan Stewart are vocal and super leaders. Defensive Coaches Cooper and Lorenti are intense and hold the unit accountable and everyone is connected. We rotate 15-17 guys on that side of the ball and have super depth. John Alvarado- outside linebacker got hurt early in the first quarter and was in a knee brace. Many in the unit were checking in on him and wishing him the best. Number 11 Chris Arrington is a ball of fire and really supportive within the unit. Easy guy to root for. Number 52 Malachi Burby is healthy and really looked great. Our secondary was really good. Jones is a stud and the rest stepped up big and made sure tackles. We were a very good tackling team tonight.

On the other side of the ball.... K. Hill is fighter! He got off to a rough start and missed some throws early and took some hits but he holds himself accountable and really battled. True leader of the group that will get better once some of these transfers learn the offense. Summers and Savedge are going to be really good. With Woods, Lee, and Erby this is a talented group. Stony Brook really tried to take Warren out of the game but he made two big plays in the second half. The offensive line was great in the second half. The Miami transfer made some good blocks in the second half. I sat by his Dad and he was filled with joy and had nothing but great things to say about his sons transition to Rhody. He is getting is MBA. Also a good conversation with another parent will not give the name but Kevin Brown is not hurt and his issues are off the field. His brothers love him dearly and hoping he figures it out but the program might have to move on. Program is much better prepared for his absence with Jaylen and Marquis running the ball. So happy for Gabe who made a huge play on third down to keep a key drive alive in the second half. Our sideline went Crazy.

Thor was walking the sideline early and shaking lots of hands. We are really fortunate to have him. Coach Flem and his staff called a really good game and made some super adjustments at half and we dominated. Such an enjoyable night! Much better result from the last time I sat at LaValle and watched us get man handled and thumped. We beat the crap out of them in the second half.
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great win !! Bring on Bryant who played a great game @ FIU
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LIRAM wrote: 1 year ago Great Game. Good Rhody turnout. Mix of families/friends and Long Island/NYC Rhody Alums. Also a bunch of Native Rhode Islanders made the trip. Just a few observations- Sat by the defensive benches and they were locked in. Henry Yianakopolis and Evan Stewart are vocal and super leaders. Defensive Coaches Cooper and Lorenti are intense and hold the unit accountable and everyone is connected. We rotate 15-17 guys on that side of the ball and have super depth. John Alvarado- outside linebacker got hurt early in the first quarter and was in a knee brace. Many in the unit were checking in on him and wishing him the best. Number 11 Chris Arrington is a ball of fire and really supportive within the unit. Easy guy to root for. Number 52 Malachi Burby is healthy and really looked great. Our secondary was really good. Jones is a stud and the rest stepped up big and made sure tackles. We were a very good tackling team tonight.

On the other side of the ball.... K. Hill is fighter! He got off to a rough start and missed some throws early and took some hits but he holds himself accountable and really battled. True leader of the group that will get better once some of these transfers learn the offense. Summers and Savedge are going to be really good. With Woods, Lee, and Erby this is a talented group. Stony Brook really tried to take Warren out of the game but he made two big plays in the second half. The offensive line was great in the second half. The Miami transfer made some good blocks in the second half. I sat by his Dad and he was filled with joy and had nothing but great things to say about his sons transition to Rhody. He is getting is MBA. Also a good conversation with another parent will not give the name but Kevin Brown is not hurt and his issues are off the field. His brothers love him dearly and hoping he figures it out but the program might have to move on. Program is much better prepared for his absence with Jaylen and Marquis running the ball. So happy for Gabe who made a huge play on third down to keep a key drive alive in the second half. Our sideline went Crazy.

Thor was walking the sideline early and shaking lots of hands. We are really fortunate to have him. Coach Flem and his staff called a really good game and made some super adjustments at half and we dominated. Such an enjoyable night! Much better result from the last time I sat at LaValle and watched us get man handled and thumped. We beat the crap out of them in the second half.
Great write up LIRAM. Thanks for sharing.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

LIRAM wrote: 1 year ago Great Game. Good Rhody turnout. Mix of families/friends and Long Island/NYC Rhody Alums. Also a bunch of Native Rhode Islanders made the trip. Just a few observations- Sat by the defensive benches and they were locked in. Henry Yianakopolis and Evan Stewart are vocal and super leaders. Defensive Coaches Cooper and Lorenti are intense and hold the unit accountable and everyone is connected. We rotate 15-17 guys on that side of the ball and have super depth. John Alvarado- outside linebacker got hurt early in the first quarter and was in a knee brace. Many in the unit were checking in on him and wishing him the best. Number 11 Chris Arrington is a ball of fire and really supportive within the unit. Easy guy to root for. Number 52 Malachi Burby is healthy and really looked great. Our secondary was really good. Jones is a stud and the rest stepped up big and made sure tackles. We were a very good tackling team tonight.

LIRam was that you behind me with your daughter?
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Yes Sir! Which of the 4 gentlemen were you BAR?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The younger one :) we chatted a bit. Wish I had known you were a KB’er. Til we meet again!
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Thanks for the updates. Team seems to be deeper then in years past. They appeared to do a good job of rotating fresh bodies in, especially on defense. This really paid off in the second half were we seemed to still be fresh, and wore them down.
Even at running back, in years past losing an all conference talent like Kevin Brown would be devastating. But Smith is a burner and Deshields looked good. They really helped ice the game those final two drives. Deshield seems like a real likeable kid in his interview on the positional breakdown.

Was concerned about keeping Kasim upright early on. Their DLine got some major push in the first drive, but going forward they did a much better job. Injuries are always a concern with Kasim. If he does go down, hopefully one of the backups is ready to go.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Back to the game. Not enough being said about our D. Held Lawson completely in check against a team that is always pretty tough and good in the trenches. Our O line also progressively wore them out and were creating gaping holes in the 3rd and 4th. Really like the combo of Jaylin and Deshields in the back field.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago 35-14 win for URI. Very convincing on offense, defense and special teams. I saw 2.5 point underdog yesterday and then today the game was pick-em so to win by 21 points on the road is awesome.

URI held Lawson to only 46 yards on 20 carries. Excellent defense up front from 44-Makszin, 11-Arrington, 52-Burby, 99 Neal and 54-Brown who is a monster at 6'3" 340 pounds to combine to limit Lawson

Jaylyn Smith with 81 yards on 13 carries and Transfer from St Francis Deshields 65 yards on 11 carries - both outperforming the heralded Lawson

and the amazing Jordan Jones with 2 interceptions, 1 for a touchdown.
To me the matchup of the game coming in was Lawton against our defense and not only did we completely neutralize Lawton, which is no easy feat, we scored as much on defense as the defense allowed. Great job by them and we're going to be tough to beat if that's the kind of defense we have all season
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Last note: the SBU stadium is the exact replica of my ideal wish for Meade. A reduced size bowl stadium with seating all the way around. It’s the perfect footprint for our level of football.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Last note: the SBU stadium is the exact replica of my ideal wish for Meade. A reduced size bowl stadium with seating all the way around. It’s the perfect footprint for our level of football.
Box score says 7,101 attendance. Stadium holds 12,303. It looked like a smaller crowd than 7,101 on the broadcast. Do you think actual attendance was that high?
Agree the stadium looks perfect for this capacity.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Puck Frovidence wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago I'm not seeing any indication of audio outside of the Varsity Network thing
I believe it will be on 920 AM / 104.7 / 93.3 HD2 in Southern New England. Nope, it's not on actual radio. Super shoddy for a D1 program. *sigh*

The extremely good news is that Varsity now has streaming available on their website which you don't need their garbage app for!

The Varsity Network

Also, if you want to stream from your phone you can use this link to open the stream in any media player app (like VLC, Xiia, etc) and you shouldn't have to use their (again terrrrrrrrible) app.

Also just to be clear, all of this is free. I will update the links on my old radio guide thread and give it a bump for future games.
Look, I don't know the contract situation and how that all works out, but not having an over the air radio broadcast for the football team seems so small time. It also doesn't help when the Varsity Network seems to be putting out a terrible product
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago No more Steve McDonald?
It seems like he's been replaced by Stone Freeman for road game broadcasts. Something to monitor going forward
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Last note: the SBU stadium is the exact replica of my ideal wish for Meade. A reduced size bowl stadium with seating all the way around. It’s the perfect footprint for our level of football.
I've never been in person, but based on what I can see from pictures, I concur. They seem to have the perfect setup for FCS and something we should definitely try to emulate
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Box score says 7,101 attendance. Stadium holds 12,303. It looked like a smaller crowd than 7,101 on the broadcast. Do you think actual attendance was that high?
Good crowd. I would say Stadium was more than half filled with many Stony Brook Alums hanging in tented/VIP area to the right of their beautiful Score board. Decent Tailgate with 4 or 5 food trucks. The new concession/bathroom area is really nice. If we ever invested in our program like this we would be good for a very long time. Having a quality Football Team is really enjoyable!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LIRAM wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Good crowd. I would say Stadium was more than half filled with many Stony Brook Alums hanging in tented/VIP area to the right of their beautiful Score board. Decent Tailgate with 4 or 5 food trucks. The new concession/bathroom area is really nice. If we ever invested in our program like this we would be good for a very long time. Having a quality Football Team is really enjoyable!
Good that Thorr was there in person to see the stadium, the scoreboard and the environment.
0 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

Hopefully, URI can get the ball moving on their renovation of the stands that are in shambles. I bet it will be in classic Rhode Island fashion that this does not happen until the economy collapses and private funds/donations go bye-bye. Stonybrook has a great stadium and they draw well when they are winning/competitive. Too bad Comcast doesn't pick up some of these games. I think this URI team would give UMASS and UCONN big probems this year if their starters could stay healthy.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Seeing it is good, but just a quick scan on the internet of many other FCS football programs shows how far behind URI is re football facilities.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Can't find any highlights

Need highlights!
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

CAA twitter is usually pretty good about getting up highlights.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

"Also a good conversation with another parent will not give the name but Kevin Brown is not hurt and his issues are off the field. His brothers love him dearly and hoping he figures it out but the program might have to move on"

Not sure when it happened, but he's been removed from the roster
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: 2022 Football Game 1 - URI at Stony Brook, Thurs. Sept. 1, 7 p.m.

Unread post by jcru »

Well, they sure kept that quiet.

I will say, Football has always been better at keeping these kinds of secrets than basketball.

My point still stands though. Kevin Brown didn't just help this team by physically being here and the talent he provided, he drew some really good recruits here in the process who might have otherwise looked elsewhere.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Well, they sure kept that quiet.

I will say, Football has always been better at keeping these kinds of secrets than basketball.

My point still stands though. Kevin Brown didn't just help this team by physically being here and the talent he provided, he drew some really good recruits here in the process who might have otherwise looked elsewhere.
It was no later then the Brown game. While listening to Steve and Terry on the radio call, they mentioned how Emmanuel Gomes was now wearing #27, which use to belong to Kevin Brown. They didn't mention anything more then that though.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hell, no one even knows what Jim Fleming's contract status is
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago

It was no later then the Brown game. While listening to Steve and Terry on the radio call, they mentioned how Emmanuel Gomes was now wearing #27, which use to belong to Kevin Brown. They didn't mention anything more then that though.
You can have two guys wear the same number as long as they're not on the field at the same time. Elon got a penalty for two players wearing the same number being on the field for the same play.

Looking at the game notes, Brown was listed on the roster for the Brown game, but not Elon
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago

You can have two guys wear the same number as long as they're not on the field at the same time. Elon got a penalty for two players wearing the same number being on the field for the same play.

Looking at the game notes, Brown was listed on the roster for the Brown game, but not Elon
While what you say may be true regarding the number, it also doesn't require schools or coaches to issue each number twice. Gomes could have been told no when he initially requested 27, but that was re-evaluated when Brown left. There could be a variety of reasons why.

Either way, Gomes wore 27 during the game after having worn 49 earlier in the season. The game notes do not accurately reflect what transpired during the game.
0 x