2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Bama in 2019
Seton Hall in 2020

How soon many forget. Tha last P5 Ryan Center opponent was Boston College of the ACC just last November of this past season. Also, Seton Hall is not a P5 team. The P5 schools are only those from only the five major football conferences - Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big-12, and PAC-12.
It’s really P6 these days. Big East is a perennial Top 3 conference in America.

I know people will hate on the Big East and won’t ever give them their due for a multitude of reasons, but can’t deny the facts they are consistently one of the top conferences in the country.
Go to their schedule thread and you can read for yourself the complaint that they can’t get anybody good to the Dunk.
Their words, not mine.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

How soon many forget. Tha last P5 Ryan Center opponent was Boston College of the ACC just last November of this past season. Also, Seton Hall is not a P5 team. The P5 schools are only those from only the five major football conferences - Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big-12, and PAC-12.

I know people will hate on the Big East and won’t ever give them their due for a multitude of reasons, but can’t deny the facts they are consistently one of the top conferences in the country.
Go to their schedule thread and you can read for yourself the complaint that they can’t get anybody good to the Dunk.
Their words, not mine.

Yea I’m not arguing PCs scheduling woes, I couldn’t name three teams they play OOC this season.

What I’m saying is for college basketball, it’s really P6 these days, not P5.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Their words, not mine.

Yea I’m not arguing PCs scheduling woes, I couldn’t name three teams they play OOC this season.

But for purposes of Frank Martin’s quote he is referring to P5, not P6.

“The Atlantic 10 is the league that, in our sport, the big programs don't schedule because we're a multi-bid league. They know if they play school whatever from a one-bid league, they’re not losing NCAA spots. When they schedule the Atlantic 10, they’re giving teams in our league which are good enough to beat them (a chance),” Martin said. “It's that caliber of a league the Power 5s, they avoid at all possibilities scheduling the Atlantic 10. If somebody don't like the fact I said that, I used to be on their side, so I know what those conversations were.”
1 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Their words, not mine.

Maybe P6.1 if you include Gonzaga but that a whole other argument
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

What was the last P5 game at the Ryan Center? Nebraska under Hurley? And that’s a bottle dweller in their conference. That’s also before the 20 game conference schedules.
No P5’s are coming to the Ryan Center

Bama in 2019
Seton Hall in 2020
Seton Hall is not P5
In football, 100%... The Big East is regarded as a power conference in the College Basketball world. The results of that conference speak for themselves. It's one of the top basketball conferences in the country.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PC has struggled to get power conference teams to play them in Providence for 2 decades.
List out the non BE power teams that have come to the Dunk over that time...there aren't many. That's why they were so pumped to get Texas Tech last year. So this isn't a new phenomenon.

And the BE in basketball is a power conference. There is no two ways about it. Villanova can get pretty much any game they want. Same for Uconn. There is no equivalent to that in the A10, MVC, etc. So they aren't in the same boat.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Saw Rhody Vault a week ago tweet that the A10 will be a power conference soon with 4-5 bids annually.

Got a good chuckle out of that.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Saw Rhody Vault a week ago tweet that the A10 will be a power conference soon with 4-5 bids annually.

No way
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Saw Rhody Vault a week ago tweet that the A10 will be a power conference soon with 4-5 bids annually.

No way
Attachments
76F8CE1E-2314-4B93-9985-B64477BC04BE.jpeg
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

No way
And Tre Mitchell will be starting for Rhody next season...
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

No way
And Tre Mitchell will be starting for Rhody next season...
And that’s a RhodyVault Guarantee!
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Regarding scheduling P5’s at home, in the words of Donald Rumsfeld, we have known knowns, known unknowns and unknown unknowns. :lol:

But seriously, I will admit to making an assumption when it comes to the P5 conferences and that is that what the P5 do in football they will eventually try to do in other sports to dominate access to bids for national championships in all sports. And, that endeavor includes favorable scheduling.

Fortunately, in cbb there is the NCAA tourney which places a govenor, so to speak, on the P5’s desire to provide P5 teams more and more tourney bids for now and therefore necessitates P5 tolerance in scheduling and bids to an extent. I hope that continues into the foreseeable future and I think it will for as long as the NCAA can hang on with CBS.

But hypothetically, if the Big 10 goes to 24 teams eventually (which some sports media outlets have stated is a possibility), is it also possible the conf decides to increase conf games beyond 20 eventually? What about the SEC? They could do the same - go to 24 teams to match.

I understand I am playing what if but this is a long game of attrition in my mind that the P5 are playing. Plus, it is still KB’s slow summer season and this topic is generating a lot of good activity.

That’s how I see it from where I sit, anyway. Could be pretty screwed up though. I won’t deny it.

Carry on.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Jaime Dixon was just on record approx 2 weeks ago saying he wants the B12 to play 22 conference games.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Gotta love the enthusiasm
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Interesting, RJ. There is nothing stopping large P5 or, if it happens, large P3 or P2 conferences from doing this to push the envelope. The goal being, imho, limiting P5 teams chances of screwing themselves out of bids by playing too many inferior (in their own minds) programs.

That doesn’t mean that P5 conferences don’t believe non-P5 conference teams can’t provide competition and get lucky. They just want to limit their own bad luck, imho (I use the word lucky because I assume P5 arrogance). :D

However, the NBE has been able to maintain equal footing with P5’s in cbb without football money but, can it hold on? I don’t know that answer.

I do know high mid-major conf’s - particularly the cbb committed programs - continue to adapt to compete at a high level, so the NBE - as a cbb power conference, certainly can and will continue to commit to cbb and adapt to compete at a high level as long as possible. Thankfully, Rhody has an AD and President that are creative and committed to high level cbb, too.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago Jaime Dixon was just on record approx 2 weeks ago saying he wants the B12 to play 22 conference games.
No surprise.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Note comments from Frank Martin in todays article where he hits on 1 team is holding up release of schedule for 2-3 weeks, difficulty for the A10 being a multi bid league to schedule P5’s and the issue of confidence building for a new coach/new team.

“For three weeks, I had a school that had agreed to play. The guy called me two days ago and said, ‘You're gonna kill me, but I can't play the game’ because he wouldn't sign the contract,” UMass coach Frank Martin said. “I'm hoping that later (Wednesday) I'll be able to confirm it and then people on campus can sign the appropriate contracts so we can release it.”

Martin acknowledged that scheduling is always difficult, especially when taking over a new program. With so much change in college basketball, he’s trying to figure out which games fit UMass.

“We're all over-analyzing each other's rosters. You don't want to under-schedule, but you can get yourself in trouble if you over-schedule, especially when you're trying to build a program,” Martin said. “Confidence is such a big part of building a program, and if you over-schedule, I don't care how hard you work, you're limiting your confidence. Last thing you ever want to do is have young kids lacking confidence.”

He’s also found himself in a position where finding partners has been difficult due to the threat Atlantic 10 teams present.

“The Atlantic 10 is the league that, in our sport, the big programs don't schedule because we're a multi-bid league. They know if they play school whatever from a one-bid league, they’re not losing NCAA spots. When they schedule the Atlantic 10, they’re giving teams in our league which are good enough to beat them (a chance),” Martin said. “It's that caliber of a league the Power 5s, they avoid at all possibilities scheduling the Atlantic 10. If somebody don't like the f[/img]act I said that, I used to be on their side, so I know what those conversations were.”

https://www.gazettenet.com/One-game-hol ... e-47755959

Frank Martin, who never previously had reason to complain much about scheduling before UMass when he was at P5 schools, has just released his first schedule in Amherst. It includes five Mullins Center home games versus CCSU, Towson, Albany, UMass-Lowell, and Dartmouth and a nearby Springfield game against N Texas.

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Note comments from Frank Martin in todays article where he hits on 1 team is holding up release of schedule for 2-3 weeks, difficulty for the A10 being a multi bid league to schedule P5’s and the issue of confidence building for a new coach/new team.

“For three weeks, I had a school that had agreed to play. The guy called me two days ago and said, ‘You're gonna kill me, but I can't play the game’ because he wouldn't sign the contract,” UMass coach Frank Martin said. “I'm hoping that later (Wednesday) I'll be able to confirm it and then people on campus can sign the appropriate contracts so we can release it.”

Martin acknowledged that scheduling is always difficult, especially when taking over a new program. With so much change in college basketball, he’s trying to figure out which games fit UMass.

“We're all over-analyzing each other's rosters. You don't want to under-schedule, but you can get yourself in trouble if you over-schedule, especially when you're trying to build a program,” Martin said. “Confidence is such a big part of building a program, and if you over-schedule, I don't care how hard you work, you're limiting your confidence. Last thing you ever want to do is have young kids lacking confidence.”

He’s also found himself in a position where finding partners has been difficult due to the threat Atlantic 10 teams present.

“The Atlantic 10 is the league that, in our sport, the big programs don't schedule because we're a multi-bid league. They know if they play school whatever from a one-bid league, they’re not losing NCAA spots. When they schedule the Atlantic 10, they’re giving teams in our league which are good enough to beat them (a chance),” Martin said. “It's that caliber of a league the Power 5s, they avoid at all possibilities scheduling the Atlantic 10. If somebody don't like the f[/img]act I said that, I used to be on their side, so I know what those conversations were.”

https://www.gazettenet.com/One-game-hol ... e-47755959

Frank Martin, who never previously had reason to complain much about scheduling before UMass when he was at P5 schools, has just released his first schedule in Amherst. It includes five Mullins Center home games versus CCSU, Towson, Albany, UMass-Lowell, and Dartmouth and a nearby Springfield game against N Texas.

It’s worse than ours.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

All games and coach's shows will be streamed exclusively on the Varsity Network:

https://gorhody.com/news/2022/8/31/foot ... casts.aspx

Weren't there a lot of bugs with this app this past season?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago All games and coach's shows will be streamed exclusively on the Varsity Network:

https://gorhody.com/news/2022/8/31/foot ... casts.aspx

Weren't there a lot of bugs with this app this past season?
Just radio or TV too?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Just radio
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Schedule coming out tomorrow?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Schedule coming out tomorrow?
Yep.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A10 Schedule will be released at 11am today
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
Schedule aside, someone should be put in jail for that horrific formatting effort
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
Schedule aside, someone should be put in jail for that horrific formatting effort
Go on GoRhody easy to read, above was just a tweet.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Not a lot of traditional tv broadcasts for URI this upcoming season as would be expected coming off consecutive losing years. Just three CBS Sports Network and one USA game. The Saturday UMass home game is listed as being on an ESPN Network. Most games at this point appear available only via the streaming ESPN+ option.

https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

The eight A-10 Friday night ESPN games per the norm features mostly just the top teams. VCU, Dayton, and SLU are featured four times. Just four other slots feature other teams - Richmond (2), Davidson, Loyola.

Friday A-10 ESPN games:
VCU at Dayton
VCU at Richmond
SLU at Davidson
VCU at SLU
SLU at Dayton
Dayton at Loyola
Richmond at VCU
Dayton at SLU
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Three straight road games in early Feb. which include SLU and GM, followed immediately with home games against VCU and UMass should be a challenging stretch.

Then again, I guess every game is going to be a challenge this season.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

That is a very difficult stretch in the conf schedule, Jersey.

The first 4 conf games don’t look bad. All win-able, imho. But, that doesn’t mean we will start 4-0, however.

Good 4 game stretch to start for a team with many questions to get its conf legs under it.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago That is a very difficult stretch in the conf schedule, Jersey.

The first 4 conf games don’t look bad. All win-able, imho. But, that doesn’t mean we will start 4-0, however.

Good 4 game stretch to start for a team with many questions to get its conf legs under it.
I agree Jd, our first 4 conference games do look very winnable.
Yes, it does set up nice for our team with lots of question marks to start our conference schedule.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Ending the season vs UMASS. Of Course.
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Three straight road games in early Feb. which include SLU and GM, followed immediately with home games against VCU and UMass should be a challenging stretch.
This is what immediately jumped out at me when seeing the schedule as well. It'll be interesting to see where we're at as a team when that stretch comes around.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody hoops now viewed the same as Duquesne, LaSalle, GW, and Fordham.

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Rhody hoops now viewed the same as Duquesne, LaSalle, GW, and Fordham.

Currently it's justified.

Absolute dumpster fire the last two seasons.

Going forward, we'll get more and more games on national tv.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Rhody hoops now viewed the same as Duquesne, LaSalle, GW, and Fordham.

But fear not, PlayMikeMotenMore says no damage was done the past 4 years.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Good thing we have a history of informative, experienced and charismatic analysts on our ESPN+ crew....
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Good thing we have a history of informative, experienced and charismatic analysts on our ESPN+ crew....
On the Plus (+) Side just think of how much more experience they will get as we will have 14 games, while Dayton gets only 4 games, VCU 5 games
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It looks like there are only 3 home games this year without the students. That's a plus. I believe there were 6 or 7 last year.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Two teams that never show any promise after the season begins. GM and Duquesne.
0 x
GO RAMS
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

The 2022-'23 TV schedule has nothing to do with 4 years of URI basketball. It has ONLY to do with a lousy record LAST year and unknown roster/low projection this year. Is that damage?

And if URI has a 20+ win season this year, then you'll see them more on TV next year. Very simple.

A winning season or projected winning season makes you attractive...and a losing or projected struggling season doesn't. It's why the Bonnies were on TV a lot last year and not so much this coming year. Unless you think Mark Schmidt's program is damaged?
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago

The 2022-'23 TV schedule has nothing to do with 4 years of URI basketball. It has ONLY to do with a lousy record LAST year and unknown roster/low projection this year. Is that damage?

And if URI has a 20+ win season this year, then you'll see them more on TV next year. Very simple.

A winning season or projected winning season makes you attractive...and a losing or projected struggling season doesn't. It's why the Bonnies were on TV a lot last year and not so much this coming year. Unless you think Mark Schmidt's program is damaged?
Nope. No damage at all. You’d never know Cox was here. We dodged the NCAA death penalty.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago It looks like there are only 3 home games this year without the students. That's a plus. I believe there were 6 or 7 last year.
The games in February last year were pretty much without students too, but that wasn’t because school was out. :cry: :cry:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago It looks like there are only 3 home games this year without the students. That's a plus. I believe there were 6 or 7 last year.
The games in February last year were pretty much without students too, but that wasn’t because school was out. :cry: :cry:
True. There were several games that had less than 100 students in attendance. Even the kids saw what a disaster the program had become with Cox.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
True. There were several games that had less than 100 students in attendance. Even the kids saw what a disaster the program had become with Cox.
It was a disaster but “no damage was done” PMMM
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m not too worried about that let’s see many games we get in 23-24 bet it’s a lot
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Write up on one of our OOC opponents.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20923
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 1 year ago Write up on one of our OOC opponents.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20923
College basketball in the new penalty free transfer era:
  • 11 new players
  • 9 transfers with 2 from JC
  • 2 freshmen

Key New Players:
Cam Carter, Sophomore, Guard, Transfer from Mississippi State
Jerrell Colbert, Sophomore, Center, Transfer from LSU
Dorian Finister, Freshman, Guard
Tykei Greene, Senior, Guard, Transfer from Stony Brook
Abayomi Iyiola, Senior, Center, Transfer from Hofstra
Keyontae Johnson, Senior, Forward, Transfer from Florida
Taj Manning, Freshman, Forward
David N’Guessan, Junior, Forward, Transfer from Virginia Tech
Desi Sills, Senior, Guard, Transfer from Arkansas State
Anthony Thomas, Sophomore, Guard, Transfer from JC
Nae’Qwan Tomlin, Junior, Forward, Transfer from JC
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago

Nope. No damage at all. You’d never know Cox was here. We dodged the NCAA death penalty.
Just so I'm clear. Archie damaged the Indiana program. URI is a basketball factory. They've never had bad seasons? And they've never bounced back? Got it.
0 x