New A10 - URI Basketball's Conference Future

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: New A10 - URI Basketball's Conference Future

Unread post by Rhody74 »

TP, I don't have any idea what Siena or its students are like. But I'm impressed that it has a relatively strong following, even in lousy seasons.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Ha-ha, True Point. Ha-ha-a-ha-ha.
YOU sounded like an effin' PeeCee schill describing URI.
Either that or you went to grad school in the City, because you followed some broad who went to Siena who eventually dumped you at some rest stop 30 miles from the Siena campus. :shock: :o :twisted:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Actually, I sound like me talking about PC. I did know a girl in school that went to Siena. I did not "know" her in a biblical sense, but she was in a few classes with me and certainly didn't do anything to help the reputation of her fellow Siena alums.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Nicely done, alum!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Screw Siena I don't want them
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Patsos is up at Siena. The guy seems nuts, but he wins. They are bringing in the Maryland High School player of the year, Marquis Wright and a big wing named Lavon Long. They also have two athletic 6'8''/6'9'' bigs coming in too. I think he will have the ship turned around in no time.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

While men's basketball is the most important sport in the Atlantic-10, one must still look at new members from the prism of all sports and not just hoops. The addition of Davidson, just outside Charlotte, NC over a school such as Siena has several negative impacts on URI athletics:

Longer Travel for most all athletic programs
Larger Travel budget for URI athletics
More missed class time for URI athletes
Less political clout in league matters as the southern member block influence grows and northern member influence wanes
Less probability of URI fans travelling to away athletic events
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI doesn't have much choice in the matter, unfortunately.

There simply aren't enough A10 level alternatives in the Northeast. Almost any school that the A10 would add in this area, would weaken the conference even more. Siena is the best of the bunch.

If URI starts to become a regular Dance member, the money from that will help cover the added costs related to the added travel. That's all they can do.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Buffalo.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There you go. Wouldn't THAT be something, although don't they have a decent football program?

How about Canisius? They could be the new Fordham! :D
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Buffalo plays 1-A football, but not in a major BCS conference.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I see where Jeff Jones has taken over at Old Dominion. What are people thoughts on Old Dominion as a possible addition? They have been to the tourney 4 times since 2005 and play in an 8,000+ seat arena and had average attendance in 2010-2011 of 7,745.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan wrote:I see where Jeff Jones has taken over at Old Dominion. What are people thoughts on Old Dominion as a possible addition? They have been to the tourney 4 times since 2005 and play in an 8,000+ seat arena and had average attendance in 2010-2011 of 7,745.
They just last year joined Conference USA and they are campaigning for JMU to also join Conference USA as it looks to expand to 16 teams.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/04/odu-eye ... usa-invite
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I see...good move for them.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Bos8 wrote:Patsos is up at Siena. The guy seems nuts, but he wins. They are bringing in the Maryland High School player of the year, Marquis Wright and a big wing named Lavon Long. They also have two athletic 6'8''/6'9'' bigs coming in too. I think he will have the ship turned around in no time.
Used to live in md and no a little about it . I believe wright was gatorade player of year. Criteria r 60% athletics 40% other. All metro in baltimore area would b more impressive nothing against the kid, nhe is a 6'0 guard 1 star 59 grade other kid is 11/2 stars. siena typically recruits 1-2 star players, sienna is currently not an asset to a10. Much rather try to pick off cUsa or missouri valley. Remember, we want to b a
National team. National teams travel.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Have you seen the kid play? First team all met in DC, which has better hoops then Baltimore. Went to states 3 times, out playing Aquile Carr. Committed early to Loyola, which is why he isn't ranked by many of the sites. When he de-committed, Missour and UMD were after him. Lavon Long can go too, but is slightly undersized. I haven't seen any of the other Patsos recruits. If you want to go by rankings, Davidson is bringing in an un-ranked kid, and a 1 star 53 grade center on ESPN. I would easily take Siena's class over Davidson.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Congrats Jeff Jones !!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

McRam wrote:
Bos8 wrote:Patsos is up at Siena. The guy seems nuts, but he wins. They are bringing in the Maryland High School player of the year, Marquis Wright and a big wing named Lavon Long. They also have two athletic 6'8''/6'9'' bigs coming in too. I think he will have the ship turned around in no time.
Used to live in md and no a little about it . I believe wright was gatorade player of year. Criteria r 60% athletics 40% other. All metro in baltimore area would b more impressive nothing against the kid, nhe is a 6'0 guard 1 star 59 grade other kid is 11/2 stars. siena typically recruits 1-2 star players, sienna is currently not an asset to a10. Much rather try to pick off cUsa or missouri valley. Remember, we want to b a
National team. National teams travel.

All the members of CUSA play FBS (1A) football. That is why Charlotte left the A-10 and joined CUSA. No CUSA members would leave for the A-10. As for the MVC, the best candidate there is Wichita State and is too far for the A-10. Given that the A-10 will very likely lose St. Louis soon, there is little chance teams out in the mid section of the country would join.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

More conference shuffling. Elon, formerly of the Southern Conference (aka Davidson's conference) joining CAA, George Mason's former conference:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... -thursday/
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:More conference shuffling. Elon, formerly of the Southern Conference (aka Davidson's conference) joining CAA, George Mason's former conference:

There are also strong runors that Albany (SUNY) will also join them. Albany is currently a full member of the America East. They were a football only member of the NEC and were set to become a football only of the CAA (along with Stony Brook).

Link:
http://saratogian.com/articles/2013/05/ ... 351684.txt
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

CAA has been picked apart in the past two or so years; not sold on Elon, but I think Albany would be a great add for them.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

So would stonybrook if they could make that happen. Hofstra Albany and stonybrook would make a nice NE presence for the CAA along with Drexel
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodylaw wrote:So would stonybrook if they could make that happen. Hofstra Albany and stonybrook would make a nice NE presence for the CAA along with Drexel

Hofstra is supposedly blocking Stony Brook as a full CAA member for territory market reasons. Both schools are relatively close to one another on Long Island.

I myself am not sure Albany is making a good move. They were already headed to the CAA for football. Going for all sports will add a lot more travel and expense for other sports. The CAA going forward is likely to always be a one bid league (it was typically that until the very recent past) for men's hoops. That is not any different than the America East. The AE however has more like minded and closer geographic schools reducing travel and expense. I think staying with the status quo was better.
0 x
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

What are the odds of Stony Brook and Siena joining the A10 in two years? I found it interesting that Fairfield wants to join the CAA.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

That is shortsided by Hofstra - they should try to build a local rivalry to get some interest back into their programs.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RF1, I think your emphasis on travel costs as a critical factor is a bit off. My view is schools should always do everything possible to strengthen their major program as much as possible. Travel costs may have to be considered, but you do not let the travel costs of the Olympic sports dictate what you do in your major program. Albany, obviously, considers its basketball program worthy of special focus. Moving to the CAA elevates their recruiting base, and to say that CAA and the AE basketball are the the same just because they both get one bid is not looking at the complete picture.

All the top conferences have expanded geographically and let the travel costs fall where they may. For example, if the fact that Seattle is some 1500 miles from Tucson was irrelevant when UA decided to join the PAC years ago, then why should the 800 miles from Albany to NC be a game changer.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:RF1, I think your emphasis on travel costs as a critical factor is a bit off. My view is schools should always do everything possible to strengthen their major program as much as possible. Travel costs may have to be considered, but you do not let the travel costs of the Olympic sports dictate what you do in your major program. Albany, obviously, considers its basketball program worthy of special focus. Moving to the CAA elevates their recruiting base, and to say that CAA and the AE basketball are the the same just because they both get one bid is not looking at the complete picture.

All the top conferences have expanded geographically and let the travel costs fall where they may. For example, if the fact that Seattle is some 1500 miles from Tucson was irrelevant when UA decided to join the PAC years ago, then why should the 800 miles from Albany to NC be a game changer.

If you are in a top conference that has a large revenue stream, distance is not as much of an issue. The money coming in for football and basketball will more than make up for the increased travel expense for the olympic sports. It still however does likely mean more missed class time for athletes.

I do not think the CAA brings in anywhere enough revenue to offset increased travel. I think travel is even an issue for the A-10 going foward (it and its revenue stream is diminished with high profile member deaprtures). I also do not think the America East and CAA are all that far apart for its main sport, men's baskeball. The CAA is still living off its former success. That success was the result of three programs-VCU, ODU, and GMU. They have all now departed the CAA. The CAA, even with ODU and GMU this past year, was the 24th rated conference in the RPI. That was two spots behind the America East. I think that both leagues will be fairly close in men's basketball going forward. They are each likley to get just one NCAA bid which will be seeded 14-16 and may occasionally be put in the play in game.
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Bos8 wrote:Have you seen the kid play? First team all met in DC, which has better hoops then Baltimore. Went to states 3 times, out playing Aquile Carr. Committed early to Loyola, which is why he isn't ranked by many of the sites. When he de-committed, Missour and UMD were after him. Lavon Long can go too, but is slightly undersized. I haven't seen any of the other Patsos recruits. If you want to go by rankings, Davidson is bringing in an un-ranked kid, and a 1 star 53 grade center on ESPN. I would easily take Siena's class over Davidson.
Yes, I have seen him play(although only once) He seems to be a good kid, plays tough defense and is definetely a "true" point guard in the sense of being a pass first guy. Whe I saw him, his shooting was suspect.

I know that he committed to Loyola in the summertime before his senior year, and that could have had am impact on his senior year rankings, but the fact remains that he was a 1 star 59 ranking after playing his senior year.

As for Washington D.C. being better than Baltimore, probably true, But, i would gladly take connections in either one.

The following is the link for Siena recruits. 1 and 2 stars, certainly good for that level of play, and maybe some will become impact players, but this is not a top notch A 10 recruiting class (top 50 team)- more like a top 100 team.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/ ... class/2013

Siena is very impressive with their following and what they draw at their events. I think that they averaged 6500 when they have a losing record.

However, I would not be happy having another A-10 team that is also about 150 miles from Hurley's connection's in metro NY,NJ. They would be another recruiting competitor for us.
0 x
ncram
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ncram »

A few interesting articles from the Charlotte Observer addressing Davidson's move to the Atlantic 10.

Atlantic 10 Offers Challenge, Reward for Davidson Basketball
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/0 ... lenge.html

Davidson adds Duke, UNC and Virginia to 2013-14 Men’s Basketball Schedule
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/0 ... ginia.html
0 x
wakefield
Steve Chubin

"Decision time for UMass is coming regarding its future in the MAC in football. When UMass went to the FBS level a few years ago, the MAC took them in the way they accepted Temple, which allowed basketball to remain in the Atlantic 10. But both sides have escape clauses and the word may be that the MAC is ready to tell UMass, if you want to stay in the MAC in football, you have become a full member in all sports, which would mean UMass leaving the rising in stature A10.

If UMass balks at that, they will need to find another conference for their football team, with only Conference USA as the most likely choice, but even that has no guarantees…" Ajerseyguy
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

UMass should lobby heavily to start a new FBS conference in the NE. They don't fit in the MAC or conference USA and you could make a conference that it is at least as good as some of the southern confernces with FBS teams
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodylaw wrote:UMass should lobby heavily to start a new FBS conference in the NE. They don't fit in the MAC or conference USA and you could make a conference that it is at least as good as some of the southern confernces with FBS teams

If the MAC forces the issue, UMass faces a very difficult decision. Joning the MAC for all sports would be a disaster. It would only benefit football and the future of that program at FBS level is dubious. UMass would love to be in an all sports league that had both UConn and Temple but UConn wants no part of that. If UMass was forced to make a decision by the MAC. the best option might be to say no to them and downgrade football. FBS football outside a power league might be a loser just as much as FCS.
0 x
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Average Team TV Ratings

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013/03 ... he-season/
Interesting how some of these games are not getting many viewers..
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

To heck with Zoo MAss !!!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Harvard is a top 30 next year. We should take them into the A10. Close proximity.... Similar Academics ... Obvious fit.

BU or Northeastern? No?I know some guys are against them here. I remember seeing Northeastern play football @ URI when we had our lone good season last decade and it was cool that we had geographical relevance.

I really just wanted to comment on the triangle scheduling suggestion. Did you see Fordham play last year? They are scrappy and beat us up. Granted it was a close loss for us with a crappy 1st year DH squad, but still they seem like they have more going on there, than in years past.

My hope/dream is that DH puts together an absolute beast team that utilizes all the pieces to win an A10 make the tourney, maybe win some games for the next few years and then the URI/DH brand becomes a headache for UCONN. The catholics expand and accept URI --> then we can kick PC's A$$ twice every year.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
wakefield
Steve Chubin

From the VCU message board by painter07 for the regular season.
"Really interesting compilation of average regular season college basketball TV ratings for the 98 D-I teams that had 5 or more nationally televised games:"

Average Ratings:

Big East:
#17 Georgetown: 0.55 (15 games)
#22 Butler: 0.52 (12 games)
#36 Marquette: 0.34 (18 games)
#52 St. John's: 0.23 (14 games)
#54 Creighton: 0.23 (8 games)
#57 Villanova: 0.21 (18 games)
#70 Xavier: 0.14 (9 games)
#77 Providence: 0.11 (10 games)
#82 Seton Hall: 0.10 (7 games)
#83 DePaul: 0.10 (6 games)

AAC:
#20 Temple: 0.54 (9 games)
#25 UConn: 0.46 (14 games)
#29 Cincinnati: 0.43 (14 games)
#78 South Florida: 0.11 (10 games)

Atlantic 10:
#46 Davidson: 0.27 (7 games)
#61 VCU: 0.18 (6 games)
#86 UMass: 0.10 (5 games)
#88 Saint Louis: 0.08 (6 games)
#89 Dayton: 0.08 (5 games)
#98 George Mason: 0 (7 games)

MVC:
#66 Wichita St.: 0.16 (7 games)
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

The tv ratings are interesting for sure but it does not take into account the opponent. Cuse or UConn vs any of those lower tier BE teams will draw more fans than a UMass vs Dayton game on TV but the majority of people watching are not tuning in to see DePaul or Seton Hall.

Davidson tends to play a strong non-conference so I am not surprised by their higher number. Again, more about the opponent
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Harvard is a top 30 next year. We should take them into the A10. Close proximity.... Similar Academics ... Obvious fit.

BU or Northeastern? No?I know some guys are against them here. I remember seeing Northeastern play football @ URI when we had our lone good season last decade and it was cool that we had geographical relevance.

I really just wanted to comment on the triangle scheduling suggestion. Did you see Fordham play last year? They are scrappy and beat us up. Granted it was a close loss for us with a crappy 1st year DH squad, but still they seem like they have more going on there, than in years past.

My hope/dream is that DH puts together an absolute beast team that utilizes all the pieces to win an A10 make the tourney, maybe win some games for the next few years and then the URI/DH brand becomes a headache for UCONN. The catholics expand and accept URI --> then we can kick PC's A$$ twice every year.
Harvard is similar to the A-10 academically? Now I've heard everything.

Kick PCs ass twice a year, huh? You've lost the last 3 by an avg. of 15+...might want to slow your roll.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Sean, I think Seawright's post was tongue in cheek.
At least I hope it was. BU and Northeastern?
Fordham beat us up?
Harvard in the A-10, because of similar academics? We'll have a Jewish Pope, before that would happen.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yeah, but Fordham was insanely physical. I watched it on the YES network.

I always was in favor of dropping Fordham and their peer basketball institutions in the past.

Just a diehard URI/A10 fan. PC.... lots of hype every year. If I believed the hype I would have went there.

Kick PC's butt every year!!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

All of the conference changes are officially going into effect today, July 1. Complete breakdown:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... 2013-2014/
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A link to all teams by conference. There's a lot to get used to here. Poor NJIT, they need some friends.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/standings
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks like UConn and Cincy are out in the cold.

No expansion plans for the ACC, either. Looks like the realignment frenzy is settling down, for now.

I like the A10 where it is now. I still think St Louis will go at some point, but not for a couple of years at least. All good.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is unfortuante that the A-10 lost some high profile members but URI is probably in the best hoops league it could reasonably expect. Without having FBS (1A) football and being public, the options are very limited. While many here may pine for the new Catholic Big East basketball league, I don't think they will ever take a public and certainly never another Rhode Island based school. The schools in the new Catholic Big East would never want a satte school for fear of some data later being made public for a member because of the FOI act. As privates, they can continue to be secretive and hide information from the public.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

My mistake……. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Jason King expresses some opinions which not everyone would agree with. Yes, the A-10 takes a hit, but the addition of GMU and Davidson helps somewhat to soften the loss of Temple, X, Butler, and Charlotte so I give a qualified agree with his A-10 comment. But in what context would you say that the Big East is a winner? How does adding X, Butler and Creighton offset losing UConn, Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, and Cincinnati to make the Big East a winner??
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:Jason King expresses some opinions which not everyone would agree with. Yes, the A-10 takes a hit, but the addition of GMU and Davidson helps somewhat to soften the loss of Temple, X, Butler, and Charlotte so I give a qualified agree with his A-10 comment. But in what context would you say that the Big East is a winner? How does adding X, Butler and Creighton offset losing UConn, Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, and Cincinnati to make the Big East a winner??

The Catholic Big East members were winners in terms of tv money (more than before) and long term conference make-up stability. It was a loser on the competetion level and perception meter as the departures of Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, Louisville, and Notre Dame are big hits. I still find it hard to believe that Fox was willing to overspend as much as they did on the tv rights. I think the league will really suffer as time goes by and its teams will be less attractive without the games and connections to the above mentioned departed members.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

A few things:
1) Fox has a new sports network and they will pay to fill those available time slots/ad slots. EVEN IF INITIALLY THEY TAKE A LOSS.
2) The New Big East (C-League) will have to establish new rivalries, new story-lines. During the next 10 years, if the league goes through expansion/contraction/whatever, there will be new/old histories, etc., The schools' fans will love it.
3) The key is: THE LEAGUE WILL NEVER EVER AGAIN BE THE ORIGINAL BIG EAST!
0 x