It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

David Cox was one of the nicest coaches I’ve met in my entire life. How’d that turn out? Archie was great at the season ticket holder event. Very dry sense of humor. The vibe I got was a head coach locked in and ready to get this program back to where it should be.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Unread post by ace »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago His tweet aside, that Athletic piece was brutal toward Archie.
Yes they were. But the quotes were all from former IU players that never played for him. Would have been more relevant to him as a coach if they were from players that played for him. Curious as to what they would say.

But not to understand the importance of reaching out to former IU players and the importance of doing that at Indiana is a little concerning. Hopefully he has learned from that experience but marketing and being well liked in the Community is part of the job of a college coach. This is not the NBA. And being 0-7 against Purdue for an Indiana coach is a big problem. Would we be happy with being 0-7 against PC? No we would not and it is even worse when you are in the same conference.
Yeah, it’s definitely part of the (well paid) job at a place like Indiana. Some coaches may not like that part of it, but they have to acknowledge past players when they come around and what they have done and definitely not blow them off when they reach out to see if they can help with anything. Coaching is hard, take advantage of every connection there is. No one will think you’re any less accomplished by not doing it all. I don’t know about his past players or recruits. None of the ones that were available seemed to have interest in transferring to play for him, but there are a lot of potential reasons for that. I think at a place like URI, you win and that’s enough. Right now, it doesn’t have the built-in fan base and interest that Dayton has, but it’s closer to the Dayton coaching experience than the Indiana one, imo.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Dayton has zero pro teams. New England is a pro sport community with many championships in all four major sports. Apples and oranges
0 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Rhody Vault deleted my tweets questioning him on his comments, then he blocked me. Oh well...
That’s cause he is a little bitch. Dude needs to get lost. He thinks he’s some big hot shot Rhody insider but reality is he’s an idiot. I’ve said it from the beginning. Any time someone calls him out or questions him he just blocks and deletes comments. Good luck ever getting an interview now.

Basketball can’t come soon enough.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I’m done with Rhody Vault

If someone posts an interview he does on the site I will watch it if interesting but I’m not going to search out his content
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I mean...I can't believe we're having this discussion. But it's the height of the offseason so whatever.

But holy crap. As I said with Cox, and I'll say with Miller. I don't care who these guys are off the court. Is it great if they're hilarious, talkative, super friendly guys or super good people? Yeah.

But guess what matters? Winning. Archie is a winner. He's going to win here. Honestly - he might not be the most talkative or open guy, but he gives straight and honest answers, and just doesn't concern himself with a lot of the media end of things in the fanbase. That's totally cool by me.

Dan is a blunt asshole like myself. Love him, will forever. A lot of people don't like that about him - but he's a winner. Dave Cox was a genuinely great person, probably one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to come across - especially in coaching - but not a good head coach.

The article is trash and IU fans are pathetic. I don't really care about the opinions of the most out-of-whack fanbase in college basketball, who were willing to pay $10M to get a former player in as their coach. (Thanks for that by the way).

Archie is all business. Moves in silence. Puts his head down and works. Also, good family man. Most important, as a coach he's a proven winner. I'm not sure why people feel like the coach owes the fans anything but putting a winning product on the court. My tickets and donations go to support the program that plays basketball. Not control how nicey-nice the coach plays with everyone who wants a soundbite from him in the offseason.

This fan base is on the precipice of literally the greatest period in the program's history because of the investments we've made - and people are bitching about how Archie talks in the off season.

To all who have that issue, I kindly say:

GOOOOOOOOOOOO FUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRSSSSSEEEEELLLLLLLLVVVVVVEEEEESSSSS, especially you, IU fans.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

What do you expect from the MBB coach at a FB event for one of the worst D1 FB programs?

Who said it was a football event Little Ram?

The donors in questions support both programs.
Most do. At the season tix event,were you somebody's guest?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

MTK4L wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Rhody Vault deleted my tweets questioning him on his comments, then he blocked me. Oh well...
That’s cause he is a little bitch. Dude needs to get lost. He thinks he’s some big hot shot Rhody insider but reality is he’s an idiot. I’ve said it from the beginning. Any time someone calls him out or questions him he just blocks and deletes comments. Good luck ever getting an interview now.

Basketball can’t come soon enough.
He's becoming more and more cringe
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Said from the jump just stick to making content. Having a voice where your opinion matters is something that is earned over time and a result of the community valuing your input; you can’t appoint yourself to that role and jump the line. This guy wanted to shoot the moon: do content, break news, and have an influential opinion. This is 101 of knowing your lane and staying in it.
9 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago Said from the jump just stick to making content. Having a voice where your opinion matters is something that is earned over time and a result of the community valuing your input; you can’t appoint yourself to that role and jump the line. This guy wanted to shoot the moon: do content, break news, and have an influential opinion. This is 101 of knowing your lane and staying in it.
Spot on.
In addition, I couldn't care any less about how available he makes himself to the media if he's a good coach. It's so trivial.
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I’m not getting the hate for RV - any Rhody content is good to me, even if it is not what you want to hear or believe. When people stop talking about your program it dies in silence. I also don’t mind a narrative that Archie is blowing off media. He should be blowing off media right now. DH came in and needed to inject a vibe into the program to get recruits…Archie came in and built a team that is significantly better (on paper) then we have seen in years, in a silent assassin mode. We are going to sneak up on people and become relevant again by winning.
2 x
Brian Forster
ARD

A bad thing for a coach to do is to try and change personality. Something he/she is not.
Most,not all have one. Harrick was very engaging . Penders same and was friends with the boosters. There have also been great coaches at URI with great personalities who did not like working with the boosters. What's puzzling is that they have lamented about the facilities ( lack thereof).
Man ,do i wish it were different. But for URI to get their teams to where they want to be,the boosters have to get their wallets out. Many on this board do not support the teams financially or go to the functions. Thats obvious. Miller wins and $$ will come in for sure. But you and he might be surprised what a little interaction could bring in . Little interaction. There is no knight in shing armor coming . Use Blue Mans link to donate. I just did.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago I’m not getting the hate for RV - any Rhody content is good to me, even if it is not what you want to hear or believe. When people stop talking about your program it dies in silence. I also don’t mind a narrative that Archie is blowing off media. He should be blowing off media right now. DH came in and needed to inject a vibe into the program to get recruits…Archie came in and built a team that is significantly better (on paper) then we have seen in years, in a silent assassin mode. We are going to sneak up on people and become relevant again by winning.
I think you’re missing the point here.
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
9 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago I’m not getting the hate for RV - any Rhody content is good to me, even if it is not what you want to hear or believe. When people stop talking about your program it dies in silence. I also don’t mind a narrative that Archie is blowing off media. He should be blowing off media right now. DH came in and needed to inject a vibe into the program to get recruits…Archie came in and built a team that is significantly better (on paper) then we have seen in years, in a silent assassin mode. We are going to sneak up on people and become relevant again by winning.
I agree. Love his Rhody content - its fantastic. Twitter is an important part of marketing the program though, and we have a fairly small amount of people that focus on URI. One account can almost shape public opinion for our program - at least as far as the Twittersphere is concerned. So I'm not really a fan of seeing him take potshots at our coach because he won't talk to him.

I think the vault content is the absolute best, and it's filled a huge gap that the program has needed filled for a very long time. I think he may have got too friendly with the Rhody legends and taken what they perceive as slights personally, and has made it his mission to take up the banner for them.

If he went about it a different way, maybe praising Archie and staff and the program while being patient - he might get the results he's hoping for.

I think he was trending the right way by gathering an organic following - and then he just pushed too hard. Would love to see him just go back to making great content, staying in his lane, and then he'd probably see a lot more doors open up for him.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody Vault is a member here. If he wanted to come and defend his comments, he could. Instead, he blocks anyone on twitter who challenges his opinion. I can still watch the content I choose to watch on his website and his instagram account.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago A bad thing for a coach to do is to try and change personality. Something he/she is not.
Most,not all have one. Harrick was very engaging . Penders same and was friends with the boosters. There have also been great coaches at URI with great personalities who did not like working with the boosters. What's puzzling is that they have lamented about the facilities ( lack thereof).
Man ,do i wish it were different. But for URI to get their teams to where they want to be,the boosters have to get their wallets out. Many on this board do not support the teams financially or go to the functions. Thats obvious. Miller wins and $$ will come in for sure. But you and he might be surprised what a little interaction could bring in . Little interaction. There is no knight in shing armor coming . Use Blue Mans link to donate. I just did.
Great! I guess we will see you in the Alumni Lounge in November.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

November?? why wait??-earlier,I will be flying in for the Bryant FB game. Along with others. Let's meet there.
Just ask in the tailgate area. Or I will buy you a beer Friday night at CG house. Waiting to spend hurts URI athletics.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago November?? why wait??-earlier,I will be flying in for the Bryant FB game. Along with others. Let's meet there.
Just ask in the tailgate area. Or I will buy you a beer Friday night at CG house. Waiting to spend hurts URI athletics.
Sent you a pm.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I mean I think these comments have jumped the shark a little bit here as they have become a referendum on Rhody Vault which is not really the issue here in any way shape or form. At least not from my perspective, I am just looking at that article as to what the Indiana alums (and a lot of fans) were saying about Archie. I think Miller is a very good coach and he has done a great job bringing in very good assistants which is the most important thing he could have done so far. And agreed personality alone without tangible results on the court is not good either. Agree about Cox, he was a great guy but not a very good coach. But anyone that leads an organization or Company knows the importance of simple PR and getting out and meeting people and just being a likeable person, sorry that is important and impacts fundraising and everything else around the program or your Company. Frankly, usually a prerequisite to even rising to that level is to have a little charisma and charm. I have no idea if that article is accurate or not, but not sure why so many are getting defensive about even talking about it. And then we get comments from Brian Foster above about him not being very engaging at a URI golf event and he gets blasted for his opinion. I was not at that event but I heard similar. I mean part of my job is to go out and speak at conferences and chamber of commerce events and other such events just to get our name out there and in a good light, and I am sure that is the case with many others on here. In my opinion it is part of the job of a head coach at a college and most understand that and do it to their best of their ability even if they do not like that part of the job. I hope Archie involves himself in the URI community, I think it will benefit him and it will certainly benefit the school. It sounds like he did not do that at Indiana based on that article. Maybe the article is bunk, I do not know. And for whatever reason, he was not successful at Indiana either. Let's hope that is the aberration and the Dayton years are more of what Archie is capable of doing. I like Archie Miller, but some treat him as a deity here based on what he did at Dayton. Dayton is probably the best job in the A10 (maybe VCU but I would say Dayton) and people like Brian Gregory won there (not at Archie's level granted) and he is a terrible coach. I hope he does a great job at Rhode Island, but I for one do not think that it is a 100% guarantee just because he was successful at the flagship program in the conference. It does not make me any less of a fan to say that I have some doubt as to whether he can replicate what he did at Dayton here. I mean he made I believe four NCAA's in six years at Dayton. Would be very surprised if he does that at URI is all I am saying.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Right on 4Diffs. These events are fund raisers-not parties. Important distinction.
The donors Miller flat lined with are five,six and seven figure boosters. No biggie. Reiss was there and made great impression. Fleming was not present at that point.
One can make the distinction that most on his board are hoops followers-fine. The donors (people actually $$ supporting the programs) are mostly both BB and football people. Huge difference.
Also,football gives basketball $$,not the other way around.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Right on 4Diffs. These events are fund raisers-not parties. Important distinction.
The donors Miller flat lined with are five,six and seven figure boosters. No biggie. Reiss was there and made great impression. Fleming was not present at that point.
One can make the distinction that most on his board are hoops followers-fine. The donors (people actually $$ supporting the programs) are mostly both BB and football people. Huge difference.
Not sure about your last statement regarding football funding basketball.

Besides what matters to me is how Archie connects with the recruits and their families.

If Archie turns the basketball program around and they become winners again, the boosters will support him.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Right on 4Diffs. These events are fund raisers-not parties. Important distinction.
We have been to some of these smaller events with Archie in attendance. He just is not a warm fuzzy guy. We didn't hire him to be warm and fuzzy, but to win games. I could care less if he is personable, I want a good team again.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

No one’s perfect. For me it pretty simple…

Nice guy who loses = not good.

A shithead who wins = very tolerable.

A good guy who wins = sweet spot.

But that’s just me.

Regarding the recent event Brian referenced - maybe he had a bad day? Felt ill? Had an argument with the Mrs? Who knows? Maybe next time, if he seems off, someone can ask him if everything is okay? Anyway, time will tell with Archie as with his predecessor’s, where he lands on my scale.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago:?:
Brian Forster/Hal Kopp is a known football jock sniffer. He's completely wrong and it's not worth giving his opinion on this any further air
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The biggest 'fundraisers' are the games at the Ryan Center. Win and fill that place up every night and funds will be flowing.
2 x
Brian Forster
ARD

See 4DIFFS post. Things are being taken out of context. Mens basketball is the # 1 sport at URI. Its critical that they do well for the entire athletic program.Not FB. I increased my donor level for hoops with Millers hiring.
Here are some examples-FB has a golf tournament for fund raising. BB stopped theirs (?) under Hurley because it was easier to pick up the phone and get the same amount of $$. For Miller the fastest and easiest way to get the $$ the program needs is to make a good impression. these are not parties. Want to help recruiting? How about more charter flights ? Hit the people up at these events. Why is FB giving (one of the worst programs in FCS?) # 45 RPI,giving mens and womens hoops (177 RPI and 60 RPI ) any $$ at all ? or any sport ? How can you follow URI and not be sure about FB funding the other sports? unless you are not going to games/events? I don't think the FCS playoffs pay out much at all? So,whats the future there financially?
When URI needs attendance/funding for other sports events/games they often have to 911 the FB boosters. I think that is pretty sad.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Brian Forster/Hal Kopp is a known football jock sniffer. He's completely wrong and it's not worth giving his opinion on this any further air.

You left out I am hoops donor also.
But then again that takes $$ also. Eh,Rhowdy. Don't believe for one second that people like Rhowdy who don't go to the events or donate it is because of some contrived disagreement with the administration's decisions. The choices fair weather fans like Rhowdy make not to contribute financially is simply because they don't have it !
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Put your money where your opinions are. Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Brian Forster/Hal Kopp is a known football jock sniffer. He's completely wrong and it's not worth giving his opinion on this any further air.

You left out I am hoops donor also.
But then again that takes $$ also. Eh,Rhowdy. Don't believe for one second that people like Rhowdy who don't go to the events or donate it is because of some contrived disagreement with the administration's decisions. The choices fair weather fans like Rhowdy make not to contribute financially is simply because they don't have it !
I give plenty. I bet against all of your wrong gambling opinions and clean up!
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Damn. I can’t believe Bill has done the impossible and spoken to the URI coaching staff.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago Damn. I can’t believe Bill has done the impossible and spoken to the URI coaching staff.
I'm pretty sure that Bill didn't guarantee that Tre Mitchell was coming here. :lol:
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The way the point system use to work encouraged MBB donors to give to the general athletic fund and not the basketball fund. Football donors are encouraged to give the the football fund to keep the program from being terminated. Recent years has been a low point for MBB and better for football. I think the data presented should be viewed with these realities in mind.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Brian Forster
ARD

Rhody 72-so I am right? I found out some stuff today that blew my mind. Some questions:
Is the donor program funding the other sports a one off deal ? Or ongoing? Is hoops included? Was/is NCAA hoops $$ still coming in?
Somewhat loaded questions. Do the handouts short the basic needs for the donor program?
Is the $$ a loan or bummed? As in Quid pro quo? I don' t think some are going to like the truth regardless of the messenger.
I have less of a problem with donor program downloading than I do with the sad reality that the other programs regardless of status can't go out and get it themselves.
.Not 100% confirmed,but 90-95%.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

I think the data presented should be viewed with these realities in mind.
Great point. Here is some more reality.

The donor program was 2-9 when this reallocation started and BB was coming off back to back NCAAA appearances.
Miller is accountable for Wins and losses as it relates to revenue and Fleming isn't?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think much of this conversation should be moved to the gridiron thread.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Blue Ram-agreed,let's drop other sports specifically from this.
I am a hoops donor and and you are a season ticket holder. you must live in RI and know something.
Give me a couple of reasons why basketball is not self-sufficient in raising funds? Particularly given the timing of it.
Is the third-party reliance one off or ongoing? What's the extent of it since it comes from the hide and not a surplus?
If ongoing how far in NCAA's would hoops have to go to offset?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Blue Ram-agreed,let's drop other sports specifically from this.
I am a hoops donor and and you are a season ticket holder. you must live in RI and know something.
Give me a couple of reasons why basketball is not self-sufficient in raising funds? Particularly given the timing of it.
Is the third-party reliance one off or ongoing? What's the extent of it since it comes from the hide and not a surplus?
If ongoing how far in NCAA's would hoops have to go to offset?
Not sure what to say to you. Donors funded much of the Ryan Center and the new practice facility. Also the upgrades to the locker rooms. Meanwhile, FB is still using stands I sat in in 1983. Again, not sure what to say to you.
4 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Donors funded much of the Ryan Center and the new practice facility.
Much?? If that were true we would still be in Keaney.
You don't support football or go to the games but have been sitting in the stands since 83 when the team was worse.
Makes sense.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago You don't support football or go to the games but have been sitting in the stands since 83 when the team was worse.
Makes sense.
Get new material bro
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Rhody 72-so I am right? I found out some stuff today that blew my mind. Some questions:
Is the donor program funding the other sports a one off deal ? Or ongoing? Is hoops included? Was/is NCAA hoops $$ still coming in?
Somewhat loaded questions. Do the handouts short the basic needs for the donor program?
Is the $$ a loan or bummed? As in Quid pro quo? I don' t think some are going to like the truth regardless of the messenger.
I have less of a problem with donor program downloading than I do with the sad reality that the other programs regardless of status can't go out and get it themselves.
.Not 100% confirmed,but 90-95%.
To quote the great philosopher Samuel L. Jackson, "English motherfucker, do you speak it?!"
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago ...

To quote the great philosopher Samuel L. Jackson, "English motherfucker, do you speak it?!"
Be understanding. What you read is the result of too many concussions.
6 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago ...

Be understanding. What you read is the result of too many concussions.
OK, that was actually a funny and relevant comment.

*tips cap
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

This heat wave has made me loopy. I actually enjoyed a Rhody72 post.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Donors funded much of the Ryan Center and the new practice facility.
You don't support football or go to the games but have been sitting in the stands since 83 when the team was worse.
Makes sense.
Not sure how old you are, maybe 18? In 1983 URI FB was 6-4. That was my freshmen year. I got to see Tom Ehrhardt debut at URI. The next year, they lost to Montana State in the semi-finals. Probably the best URI FB team ever. Better read up before spouting nonsense on the board.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Last year they were 7-4 with a victory over a FBS team,
6-4 included a loss over a D2 team and a loss to a FBS team.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

sorry-close win over a D2 team . S. Conn..
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Donors funded much of the Ryan Center and the new practice facility.
Makes sense.
LMAO. The mid-80s teams were the best we ever had.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Ok Hal, when you're getting bodied by R72, it's time to hang 'em up. There's no coming back from that.
1 x