Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Unread post by adam914 »

Congrats to Fatts! Officially a pro!
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
So it looks like Fatts has either been drafted or is invited to host a banquet with some type of eastern european food.

Limitless!
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I wonder if they know the story of how he got the name Fatts? Maybe that's why they chose him for this food event(or whatever the hell that says)?
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I'd be interested to know if this is Fatts bypassing the Summer League by choice or whether NBA teams passed him over for Summer League rosters?

Looks like he will be vying for the backup PG role.

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/ ... to-Bar/177

https://www.aba-liga.com/news/47144/dar ... 23-season/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KK_Mornar_Bar
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

STC wrote: 1 year ago I'd be interested to know if this is Fatts bypassing the Summer League by choice or whether NBA teams passed him over for Summer League rosters?

Looks like he will be vying for the backup PG role.

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/ ... to-Bar/177

https://www.aba-liga.com/news/47144/dar ... 23-season/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KK_Mornar_Bar
I imagine Fatts got invited on to some summer league team - he worked out for teams before the draft - but his chances of making the NBA are probably so low as a 24-year-old, sub-6-foot guard that overseas ball is almost certainly the best option for him.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Montenegro 🇲🇪 has a NBA Expansion team?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Orlando Magic notwithstanding, I think it speaks well of Dowtin that teams with strong front offices - Golden State, Milwaukee, Toronto have all brought Dowtin in some capacity at some point in time.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

JD was great 13 in 1h and 9 assists total

Tyrese 1-9
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Just figured out that Tom Garrick is an assistant coach for his wife at Vanderbilt.

Don't think I've ever heard of that before...

They must get along really well lol
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago JD was great 13 in 1h and 9 assists total

Tyrese 1-9
I hope for and wish nothing but the best for Jeff Dowtin.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago JD was great 13 in 1h and 9 assists total

Tyrese 1-9
9 assists
Zero turnovers
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Kuran Iverson on Big 3. Just hit a 3. Nice! Go Rhody!
3 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Odom currently in East Greenwich at Water Street Kitchen and Bar. Wondering if he’s going to be on campus.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

spookydog wrote: 1 year ago Odom currently in East Greenwich at Water Street Kitchen and Bar. Wondering if he’s going to be on campus.
Cool.....as long as he didn't being any Kardashians with him.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Nice night for Tyrese in the summer league.

1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Looks like Hassan is headed to Serbia...

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Nice night for Tyrese in the summer league.

I think Tyrese and Jeff will get fully guaranteed contracts
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Another good game for Jeff. 👍🏼
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Another good game for Jeff. 👍🏼
Yes 19 points and solid floor game again , you would think a guaranteed contract will be coming soon from someone
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Nice night for Tyrese in the summer league.

I wonder where this was when he was playing for UConn. I think the problem with Tyrese is his defense, but hey, since when do most NBA teams play defense (other than the Celtics, Bucks, & Golden State)? Anyway, I'm not sure he's quick enough to have long term staying power in the NBA if he does make it, but that is my opinion.

0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

It's summer league, and Jeff is a 25-year-old pro at this point, so it's not really surprising to me that he's doing well. I think it's more important that he's on a squad - the Raptors - that might actually have some minutes available at the PG spot. Or, at least, they don't have a completely clear depth chart at the position. The three guys currently on their roster at PG all make $2M or less, so he'll probably be given a fair shot to earn PT in training camp and the preseason, if he's still on the roster then.
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Not sure if anyone has brought up this comparison before? Anyway, while I was watching Jeff play recently, I was thinking about which NBA player did he remind me of most? I kept thinking of the late Dennis Johnson and here why…

My impression of DJ was that he was not the greatest shooter but was fully capable of making a big shot when called upon (or, he was a great shooter when it counted). He wasn’t the flashiest ball handler. He wasn’t the fanciest passer. He was a top defender. His intangibles were great (leadership qualities, basketball IQ, team attitude, etc.). In short, imho, DJ was a winner and would do whatever the team needed him to do for the team to win.

That is how I see Jeff. He is not the greatest at any skill nor the flashiest, he’s just a winner. He may never attain the level of success, accomplishments, accolades or caliber of player talent of DJ but, to me anyway, he is similar.

DJ took his experience and intangibles to coaching with some success. Maybe Jeff will do the same when his playing days are over. And, who knows…perhaps in 20 years when Archie’s successful run is done here and he rides off into a well deservered retirement, JD will be his successor.

Just some mid-summer thoughts being thrown out to KB land.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Not sure if anyone has brought up this comparison before? Anyway, while I was watching Jeff play recently, I was thinking about which NBA player did he remind me of most? I kept thinking of the late Dennis Johnson and here why…

My impression of DJ was that he was not the greatest shooter but was fully capable of making a big shot when called upon (or, he was a great shooter when it counted). He wasn’t the flashiest ball handler. He wasn’t the fanciest passer. He was a top defender. His intangibles were great (leadership qualities, basketball IQ, team attitude, etc.). In short, imho, DJ was a winner and would do whatever the team needed him to do for the team to win.

That is how I see Jeff. He is not the greatest at any skill nor the flashiest, he’s just a winner. He may never attain the level of success, accomplishments, accolades or caliber of player talent of DJ but, to me anyway, he is similar.

DJ took his experience and intangibles to coaching with some success. Maybe Jeff will do the same when his playing days are over. And, who knows…perhaps in 20 years when Archie’s successful run is done here and he rides off into a well deservered retirement, JD will be his successor.

No offense, but this reads like a fever dream of a post. Jeff is a fine player, and the skill he's best at - avoiding turnovers while playing the point - is one that can be overlooked often. But there's no grand conspiracy to keep him out of the NBA here, and there's almost no reasonable comparison from him to DJ, a borderline HoF NBA player that averaged roughly 16 PPG and 6 RPG in his only college season.

Making the NBA is really, really hard. Golden State management is full of pretty good talent evaluators, and saw what he did against Poole and Payton Jr. in practice regularly, and decided to keep those two guys. It's hard to say they were wrong. Tyson Wheeler had even more of a college resume than Jeff, and he barely got a cup of coffee in the league too.

In baseball, there is the concept of a AAAA player. Usually, it's a slugger who can mash minor league pitching, but struggles with the movement that major league pitchers can put on the ball. I kind of fear that Jeff is the basketball version of that, since he can clearly dominate summer league or G-League talent, but he can't create enough in his bursts of action in NBA games. I'd *like* to see him get more chances to excel in NBA regular season games, but the four times he played 15+ minutes in 2021-22 weren't exactly a ringing endorsement - his high was 5 points, 3 assists, 2 steals. To stick on an NBA roster, you have to produce, not just avoid making mistakes.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

JD , Tyrese and Jacob may all be in the NBA how crazy is that
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago JD , Tyrese and Jacob may all be in the NBA how crazy is that
Yes. All 3 could be in the NBA
And Cox had all 3 in his 2nd year at the helm

Plus he had Fatts, Langevine and Walker

Then he lost 4 of his last 7 conference games with 2 of the 3 wins 1 point squeakers over lowly Fordham and UMASS

Major error was moving Jeff Dowtin off a Point Guard

Plus he didn’t play Toppin as many minutes as he should have.

Ended up losing Martin to UCONN and Toppin to Kentucky.

Those were crucial transfers even before the 1 year sit out rule was waived.

Downhill from there.

Imagine 3 future NBA (possible) plus Langevine, Russell, Walker. Hard to look back at what could have been and how quickly and far this program fell.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago JD , Tyrese and Jacob may all be in the NBA how crazy is that

Then he lost 4 of his last 7 conference games with 2 of the 3 wins 1 point squeakers over lowly Fordham and UMASS

Downhill from there.

Imagine 3 future NBA (possible) plus Langevine, Russell, Walker. Hard to look back at what could have been and how quickly and far this program fell.
Okay but let's not dwell on the past.
We have Archie now, so it all worked out for us going forward.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Not sure if anyone has brought up this comparison before? Anyway, while I was watching Jeff play recently, I was thinking about which NBA player did he remind me of most? I kept thinking of the late Dennis Johnson and here why…

No offense, but this reads like a fever dream of a post. Jeff is a fine player, and the skill he's best at - avoiding turnovers while playing the point - is one that can be overlooked often. But there's no grand conspiracy to keep him out of the NBA here, and there's almost no reasonable comparison from him to DJ, a borderline HoF NBA player that averaged roughly 16 PPG and 6 RPG in his only college season.

Making the NBA is really, really hard. Golden State management is full of pretty good talent evaluators, and saw what he did against Poole and Payton Jr. in practice regularly, and decided to keep those two guys. It's hard to say they were wrong. Tyson Wheeler had even more of a college resume than Jeff, and he barely got a cup of coffee in the league too.

In baseball, there is the concept of a AAAA player. Usually, it's a slugger who can mash minor league pitching, but struggles with the movement that major league pitchers can put on the ball. I kind of fear that Jeff is the basketball version of that, since he can clearly dominate summer league or G-League talent, but he can't create enough in his bursts of action in NBA games. I'd *like* to see him get more chances to excel in NBA regular season games, but the four times he played 15+ minutes in 2021-22 weren't exactly a ringing endorsement - his high was 5 points, 3 assists, 2 steals. To stick on an NBA roster, you have to produce, not just avoid making mistakes.
SG, No offense taken and I may be suffering from heat stroke - after all, it is pretty hot out. But, if you re-read my post, I purposely added that Jeff is not the same caliber talent. I wasn’t comparing talent, I was comparing style and intangibles.

Neither did I allude to some grand conspiracy keeping JD out of the NBA. I don’t think there is a conspiracy here, I was simply making the comparison as to type of player as in Jeff being a poor man’s DJ style player.

Jeff can be a solid 8-10 minute per game bench piece on the right team if given the chance. I think he could run a second team offense and play some solid defense off the bench.

In the meantime, I have another comparison for you…When I think of a type of NBA player for Tyson, I think Tiny Archibald type: small/slight build, quick, shooter, penetrator. :D

Carry on while I go back to sitting with my ice pack on my forehead to keep my temp down.

Edit: SG, I re-read my earlier post that you commented on and I see that I didn’t include the word style in it. My mistake.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Downhill from there.

It wasn’t long ago some were posting that Cox was left with an empty cupboard. The past is still hurting us. 4 years of no postseason and even now Miller has to fix the mess Cox left.

I was in the Ryan Center all games, including the last few (even when told here nobody should go). Announced attendance of 4,000 and 5,000 was really only 1,000, maybe stretch to 1,500. It was like a morgue in there. Ask the ushers. They were bored to tears and very disheartened. It was worse I think that the last weeks of Barons last year if you can believe that.

Now with URI picked preseason 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th I don’t see fans coming back in a big way until a winning streak of sort appears.

It’s a shame having gone to back to back NCAA Tournaments and falling so far.

Of course I’ll be there. Was at the last Jim Baron game and the last David Cox game. Very similar team performance and fan apathy.

GO RHODY!
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

SG, No offense taken and I may be suffering from heat stroke - after all, it is pretty hot out. But, if you re-read my post, I purposely added that Jeff is not the same caliber talent. I wasn’t comparing talent, I was comparing style and intangibles.

Neither did I allude to some grand conspiracy keeping JD out of the NBA. I don’t think there is a conspiracy here, I was simply making the comparison as to type of player as in Jeff being a poor man’s DJ style player.

Jeff can be a solid 8-10 minute per game bench piece on the right team if given the chance. I think he could run a second team offense and play some solid defense off the bench.

In the meantime, I have another comparison for you…When I think of a type of NBA player for Tyson, I think Tiny Archibald style type: small/slight build, quick, shooter, penetrator. :D

Carry on while I go back to sitting with my ice pack on my forehead to keep my temp down.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Downhill from there.

It wasn’t long ago some were posting that Cox was left with an empty cupboard. The past is still hurting us. 4 years of no postseason and even now Miller has to fix the mess Cox left.

I was in the Ryan Center all games, including the last few (even when told here nobody should go). Announced attendance of 4,000 and 5,000 was really only 1,000, maybe stretch to 1,500. It was like a morgue in there. Ask the ushers. They were bored to tears and very disheartened. It was worse I think that the last weeks of Barons last year if you can believe that.

Now with URI picked preseason 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th I don’t see fans coming back in a big way until a winning streak of sort appears.

Of course I’ll be there. Was at the last Jim Baron game and the last David Cox game. Very similar team performance and fan apathy.

GO RHODY!
Ramster it isn't as though we haven't gone through these droughts before.

Yeah it is a shame, but being a Rhody fan for 50+ years, I am used to it.

On the positive side, I never imagined us getting a coach such as Archie.

With the new staff, facility improvements underway, young roster, and general optimism about the program, I feel there will be much fan excitement going into this season
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

GO RHODY!

With the new staff, facility improvements underway, young roster, and general optimism about the program, I feel there will be much fan excitement going into this season
For the hard core fans like us, yes, there is a lot of excitement. For the average/casual fan, they have no idea who any of these transfers or freshmen are. Some probably don't even know who Archie is. I agree with Ramster for a change. :lol: I think it's going to take a lot of winning before we see big crowds at the RC again.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

GO RHODY!

For the hard core fans like us, yes, there is a lot of excitement. For the average/casual fan, they have no idea who any of these transfers or freshmen are. Some probably don't even know who Archie is. I agree with Ramster for a change. :lol: I think it's going to take a lot of winning before we see big crowds at the RC again.
Well yeah winning trumps everything.
I don't expect automatic sell-outs and full crowds immediately.

But I think there will be a lot of curious fans showing up.
Especially if they keep the ticket prices reasonable and free parking, in these troubled economic times.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Well yeah winning trumps everything.
I don't expect automatic sell-outs and full crowds immediately.

But I think there will be a lot of curious fans showing up.
Especially if they keep the ticket prices reasonable and free parking, in these troubled economic times.
Attendance was announced higher over actual bodies in seats way more than I can ever remember this past season.

Number 1:
If announced 5,000 there were probably 2000
If announced 4,000 there were probably 1500

Number 2:
1st thing needed is to get bodies back in the seats. Screw that announced attendance numbers - they were BS last season.

Number 3:
I didn’t want David Cox to begin with in Year 1. Hurley strongly endorsed him. I wanted Pitino. If not Pitino then hit the marketplace. But even I overestimated Cox. I was worse than I thought. I got left a strong supporting cast in Dowtin, Langevine, Russell, Martin coming in, etc. he didn’t recruit well or retain players well through Covid years losing Martin to UCONN, and Toppin to Kentucky. He didn’t identify talent as well as some like to think. Many recruiting misses where the player was. It as good as expected or advertised. His record speaks for itself.

Number 4:
Preseason we are being picked 8th through 12th. That says it all about upcoming MBB Ticket sales. Go no further. The only way to make a significant bump in physical bodies in seats and enthusiasm from those bodies to keep those physical bodies coming back is to win. Rhode Island Red has been saying that for as long as he’s been talking about that mental institution and the cartel.

Time to produce on the court.

New era.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

GO RHODY!

I said it’s a shame, but that’s a huge understatement by me. To be clear, Given what Hurley left and the Ryan Center bring a phenomenal College basketball venue it was a huge disappointment. Some HC’s overcame the obstacles of Covid. Other used Covid as an excuse, saying it was hard to recruit by zoom, players went home for summer and got recruited away - bullshit. We blew a huge opportunity to continue what Hurley built.
We became a team with performance now in the lower third of the A10. Nobody would have ever believed that 5 years ago.
Even last season there were people here who didn’t think Thorr would fire Cox.

When Thorr did not increase Cox’ contract or give him an increase as he did with Reiss after year 2 AND year 3, the writing was on the wall. 4 long years and still need to recover from the damages this season and maybe beyond.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

GO RHODY!

I said it’s a shame, but that’s a huge understatement by me. To be clear, Given what Hurley left and the Ryan Center bring a phenomenal College basketball venue it was a huge disappointment. Some HC’s overcame the obstacles of Covid. Other used Covid as an excuse, saying it was hard to recruit by zoom, players went home for summer and got recruited away - bullshit. We blew a huge opportunity to continue what Hurley built.
We became a team with performance now in the lower third of the A10. Nobody would have ever believed that 5 years ago.

When Thorr did not increase Cox’ contract or give him an increase as he did with Reiss after year 2 AND year 3, the writing was on the wall. 4 long years and still need to recover from the damages this season and maybe beyond.
Ramster, yeah it was disappointing, but let's get over it and move on because there is much to look forward to.
We all hoped that the Cox experiment would work out, but it didn't.
Now with Archie running the show, I am elated.

Look we had gone through bad periods before, following Rhody basketball I know nothing lasts forever.
After Kraft left, we struggled with English and Malone.
Nothing worse than the Jerry D fiasco and the 17-year NCAAT drought that followed Harrick.

So here we are now with a new staff, young roster, and a practice facility being built.
Every Rhody fan should be extremely excited.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wow!

2 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Wow!

Waiting for Jeff Dowtin
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Love it! Congrats Tyrese!
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

GO RHODY!

It really sucked and it's abundantly clear Cox's plan was literally just see if Fatts could singlehandedly take us to the tournament. While everyone else (including two future NBA players Dowtin and Rese) just sat back and played second fiddle.

Cox was almost right until the game at Dayton in 2020 then Fatts practically couldn't make another jumpshot until he went to Maryland and Cox just threw his arms up.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
Atta boy Jared way to take it to the rim for the throw down
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

It really sucked and it's abundantly clear Cox's plan was literally just see if Fatts could singlehandedly take us to the tournament. While everyone else (including two future NBA players Dowtin and Rese) just sat back and played second fiddle.

Cox was almost right until the game at Dayton in 2020 then Fatts practically couldn't make another jumpshot until he went to Maryland and Cox just threw his arms up.
I agree Peter and it may be 3 NBA players if Jacob makes it !!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

I agree Peter and it may be 3 NBA players if Jacob makes it !!
Yep!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ca.style.y ... 07225.html

Dude gushes about Jeff in this one. Sounds to me like he's on his way to a roster spot.
2 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Kuran Iverson playing in the Big-3 on CBS Sports.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago Kuran Iverson playing in the Big-3 on CBS Sports.
Glad he's getting some run, but he hasn't been all that impressive in these games. Hopefully, he's making a good paycheck from it.

The actual basketball and emphasis of the Big 3 seems to have shifted as well. While most rosters still have an Old Timer you've heard of (Kuran's team has Jodie Meeks and Leonardo Barbosa), most of the league's best players are 25 to 32-year-old guys just on the cusp of NBA basketball. The league's current leading scorer is journeyman Kevin Murphy. If you're jonesing for some post-up basketball though, it's a good game to tune into.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Glad he's getting some run, but he hasn't been all that impressive in these games. Hopefully, he's making a good paycheck from it.

The actual basketball and emphasis of the Big 3 seems to have shifted as well. While most rosters still have an Old Timer you've heard of (Kuran's team has Jodie Meeks and Leonardo Barbosa), most of the league's best players are 25 to 32-year-old guys just on the cusp of NBA basketball. The league's current leading scorer is journeyman Kevin Murphy. If you're jonesing for some post-up basketball though, it's a good game to tune into.
Leandro Barbosa was the fastest player with the ball I'd ever seen, but that was ages ago. Is he still fast?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago

Leandro Barbosa was the fastest player with the ball I'd ever seen, but that was ages ago. Is he still fast?
He turns 40 in November not as fast as Fatts now
0 x