Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

the_one_mike wrote: 1 year ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago

Oh, I get what you’re saying. My point is that the grip those people have on things is quickly fading away for a variety of reasons. And we can’t let what happened then define URI basketball forever…
You shouldn't let it define you, but I don't know why it's ridiculous to suggest an occasional tournament contender out of a mediocre TV market without significant national appeal wouldn't be near the top of the list for BE expansion, not accounting for likely program blocks along the way. For expansion they are going to look at what helps the most with national appeal/perception.
You’re talking about PC, right?
Again, why do you keep comparing to PC? They are in the conference. They could be 0-120 in their last 5 seasons, wouldn't make a difference. There is going to be a higher threshold for expansion. Conference is going to want as high-level winners as possible, and ideally ones that fill geographic holes.
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

You shouldn't let it define you, but I don't know why it's ridiculous to suggest an occasional tournament contender out of a mediocre TV market without significant national appeal wouldn't be near the top of the list for BE expansion, not accounting for likely program blocks along the way. For expansion they are going to look at what helps the most with national appeal/perception.
Again, why do you keep comparing to PC? They are in the conference. They could be 0-120 in their last 5 seasons, wouldn't make a difference. There is going to be a higher threshold for expansion. Conference is going to want as high-level winners as possible, and ideally ones that fill geographic holes.
I’ll fill your geographic hole.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Oh, I get what you’re saying. My point is that the grip those people have on things is quickly fading away for a variety of reasons. And we can’t let what happened then define URI basketball forever…
PC fans think they're Duke.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Who thinks they are Duke? The problem is that you are taking everything I'm saying about who the conference would look for in realignment if they choose to expand and comparing that threshold to PC. For some reason you can't get through your head is that PC already has their ticket punched so what PC has done is irrelevant to the conversation. Combating everything I say with "Uh PC hasn't done that," is meaningless. Perhaps it's true, but also truly irrelevant to conference expansion.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Who thinks they are Duke? The problem is that you are taking everything I'm saying about who the conference would look for in realignment if they choose to expand and comparing that threshold to PC. For some reason you can't get through your head is that PC already has their ticket punched so what PC has done is irrelevant to the conversation. Combating everything I say with "Uh PC hasn't done that," is meaningless. Perhaps it's true, but also truly irrelevant to conference expansion.
PC fans, for the last 40+ years, have looked down on URI because they're in a superior conference. I agree, they have been in a superior conference. But they are in that conference for one reason and one reason only. That reason just happens to be the exact same reason that URI isn't in that superior conference. When the Big East was formed, URI was the better program. One man changed that.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago Just read a piece that the ACC and Pac12 are looking towards making a joint conference title game - which is the first piece of information that actually makes sense. The conferences would not need to add crappy schools just for their football and could then supplement other sports with non-football schools that appeal better at non-football revenue sports (i.e. basketball). A return to the old big east model - which by the way was very effective until the remaining football schools had to ruin it by making Conference USA 2.0.
The old Big East model didn't make sense and wasn't effective, which is precisely why the football schools broke off
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago

What URI can do in prep is to start extensive networking with like minded schools in similar conferences, maybe approach the issue with a similar thinking A-10 partner. UMass comes to mind except their football aspirations likely nix that idea. This has nothing to do with McGlade or with her performance, but you can't work deeply with her because the major options going forward are the creation of a new conference or a major expansion of the Big East, by the addition of eight teams. You keep posted with McGlade, but the main effort is a school to school approach. UCLA/USC certainly didn't work with the PAC 12 commissioner, George Kliavkoff, as they mulled their move to the B10.

Yes, you are correct we have to see how this all falls out, but that shouldn't stop progressive AD's with good contacts to get a head start.
At this point doubt any of the BE schools would have any interest, why would they?
They are already calling the shots (basketball), have a huge media following and influx of $.
It recently cost UConn $17M to leave the AAC, hate to see the penalty for leaving the BE and for what?

Sorry but don't see this happening. at least at this time.

Also what other conferences that are non-football do you have in mind that they can poach?

Your USC/UCLA is a bad comparison, talking about moving from the Pac-12 to the B10.
That was football motivated (LA market) and the B10 is extremely wealthy.

As for the BE adding 8 more teams, again why would they?
They don't have the huge football $ revenue as the P5 schools.
Not sure they would want to split their $ 8 more times, unless those schools will really move the needle for them.
What happens when the P2 conferences take there ball and say we are having our own basketball tournament? BE is basketball only. They have no say in what the FB conference do.
What makes you think TV executives want March Madness to go from over 60 games to between 20-30? This is as crazy as saying URI to the ACC
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 1 year ago Fordham had a better conference recorded then URI last year
Well that's truly a meaningful sample. Let's ignore 30 years for the most recent sease
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 1 year ago The Fordham coach going back to Villanova says a lot about where the Fordham program was heading.....Yes under .500 in conf but .500 overall and won a conf tournament game. That is a big step and hopefully it will continue as with the other program to help make the A10 strong.

There are a lot of new good coaches in the A10 and if they follow the BE process and land a nice media contract and bring some big money into each program and get more then 1 team in the tournament things will change
It literally says nothing about where Fordham was heading. It says everything that they brought a long time assistant back
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Sorry, but literally everything rj has been saying makes sense, whether we want to acknowledge it or not
3 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago Who thinks they are Duke? The problem is that you are taking everything I'm saying about who the conference would look for in realignment if they choose to expand and comparing that threshold to PC. For some reason you can't get through your head is that PC already has their ticket punched so what PC has done is irrelevant to the conversation. Combating everything I say with "Uh PC hasn't done that," is meaningless. Perhaps it's true, but also truly irrelevant to conference expansion.
If you read through my posts, you will see I am actually the one leading the charge to stop comparing URI to PC. We should be focusing on making a strong argument for media companies and better conferences, PC is irrelevant in that regard. My only point, whether you or anyone else would like to admit it, is that I believe URI and PC are better served to attack that together at this juncture.

You may disagree. That’s fine. But I can assure you that the people actually making decisions realize it’s just about time to start thinking outside the box before everyone is left out in the cold. What’s better, working together to survive or everyone dying out of spite?

That is why I replied to you with trolls. Because you are harping on things that I’ve addressed in prior posts and I agree to disagree.

But it’s comments like telling people to “get it through their head” that I love, though. Beautiful. Why? Because people that cling to the past THAT HARD are never in position to take advantage of coming opportunities. Always caught by surprise.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago Who thinks they are Duke? The problem is that you are taking everything I'm saying about who the conference would look for in realignment if they choose to expand and comparing that threshold to PC. For some reason you can't get through your head is that PC already has their ticket punched so what PC has done is irrelevant to the conversation. Combating everything I say with "Uh PC hasn't done that," is meaningless. Perhaps it's true, but also truly irrelevant to conference expansion.
If you read through my posts, you will see I am actually the one leading the charge to stop comparing URI to PC. We should be focusing on making a strong argument for media companies and better conferences, PC is irrelevant in that regard. My only point, whether you or anyone else would like to admit it, is that I believe URI and PC are better served to attack that together at this juncture.

You may disagree. That’s fine. But I can assure you that the people actually making decisions realize it’s just about time to start thinking outside the box before everyone is left out in the cold. What’s better, working together to survive or everyone dying out of spite?

That is why I replied to you with trolls. Because you are harping on things that I’ve addressed in prior posts and I agree to disagree.

But it’s comments like telling people to “get it through their head” that I love, though. Beautiful. Why? Because people that cling to the past THAT HARD are never in position to take advantage of coming opportunities. Always caught by surprise.
It has nothing to do with clinging to the past though. You've mentioned PC/URI being a guaranteed sellout several times. Fox Sports, MSG, or most BE schools don't care about that fact. If they are to expand, it's going to be based on who is most likely to draw the most interest, nationally via broadcast and locally via team/fan interest. Fox will look at who they think will draw viewers, Villanova will look at how they will draw fans/basketball excitement, Creighton will look at how they will draw fans/basketball excitement, PC, UCONN, etc the same. So when I said I thought URI would have to be on the precipice of becoming a great program to overcome all objections and have a potential crack, I do really believe that. I also believe based on past conversations that I've had with people that the Big East is not going to rush to add teams just to add them. They love the double round-robin. It's why they never expanded 10 years ago when the conference first formed and everyone thought it would be a 12-team conference. The teams they eventually look to add will be ones that generate buzz throughout the entire conference. That has nothing to do with 40 year old vendettas, but really just common sense. And I also would be utterly shocked, based on the conferences passion for playing everyone as many times as possible and getting those consistent quality opportunities, that they expand to 16-20 teams. That move doesn't make sense, at least not now or in the near future, not unless real elite programs decide they are interested. Big East has kept feelers on Gonzaga for years, as an example. That's the only program right now there is any interest in adding, with the challenges already known and understood as to why it won't happen now.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Hell, are there any non-football programs in the ACC? Let's absorb them! ;)
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Your USC/UCLA is a bad comparison, talking about moving from the Pac-12 to the B10.
You misinterpret my reference here. The UCLA/USC model was offered in response to playmike's comment that the BE won't invite Dayton because they occupy the same market as Xavier. While markets retain importance, the emphasis from the media giants has shifted to the important features of branding and pairings. This USC/UCLA move shows the power of Fox Sports as they pressed the Big Ten to expand. The prime target was USC, not UCLA, but shifting them together supported the Fox notion on branding and pairings. This was a godsend to UCLA because their Athletics Dept. is currently running a $108 million deficit which had threatened the school with the prospect of dropping sports. Moving to to the Big Ten will erase that deficit in two years.

The realignment taking place in big time football will eventually percolate down to basketball. Will Fox Sports then influence the Big East to expand? Will Fox force a rethink of the BE/Xavier market objection to adding Dayton? Could this be duplicated with URI/PC?
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Wow, so much for the Duke/UNC rivalry in the ACC.
Probably the biggest in all of NCAA basketball.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah thats rough! Hopefully they'll still schedule each other anyway. Seems crazy not to.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
Yeah thats rough! Hopefully they'll still schedule each other anyway. Seems crazy not to.
Not the same though as if they were competing against each other for the ACC title.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago

Not the same though as if they were competing against each other for the ACC title.
Oh yeah, for sure. No doubt about that.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

They should have just created new football only conferences and left the D1 conferences for all other sports.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago They should have just created new football only conferences and left the D1 conferences for all other sports.
This is what I wish they would do as well. Make whatever changes you want to football, I couldn't care less. Just leave the rest of the sports (especially basketball) alone.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Superconferences may be happening sooner than later wow
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

I don’t think Duke wants to let UNC go on the heels of Coach K retiring… Not sure if that will ultimately happen without both onboard. But I do suspect some grouping of teams will end up doing this.

Biggest news there is ESPN potentially dropping ACC. That would be huuuuuuuge for the ACC. Massive revenue cuts. And that’s when you’ll start to see some things happen that nobody expects…
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Your USC/UCLA is a bad comparison, talking about moving from the Pac-12 to the B10.
You misinterpret my reference here. The UCLA/USC model was offered in response to playmike's comment that the BE won't invite Dayton because they occupy the same market as Xavier. While markets retain importance, the emphasis from the media giants has shifted to the important features of branding and pairings. This USC/UCLA move shows the power of Fox Sports as they pressed the Big Ten to expand. The prime target was USC, not UCLA, but shifting them together supported the Fox notion on branding and pairings. This was a godsend to UCLA because their Athletics Dept. is currently running a $108 million deficit which had threatened the school with the prospect of dropping sports. Moving to to the Big Ten will erase that deficit in two years.

The realignment taking place in big time football will eventually percolate down to basketball. Will Fox Sports then influence the Big East to expand? Will Fox force a rethink of the BE/Xavier market objection to adding Dayton? Could this be duplicated with URI/PC?
It seems that we are the lone wolves with this take on here, agreed again. What happens here with the SEC will precede what comes next… so I suppose we will have to wait and watch.

Suspecting more and more we may see a new conference or two spawn out of the scraps.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

What’s the next shoe to drop ?

I really hope we are working some magic behind the scenes here — I don’t want to be left in a POS league with POS matchups / rivalries
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What a mess.
1 x
GO RAMS
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago If it's all about media money, the two teams to the BE would be Dayton and URI. Built in rivalries and sold out arenas.
Ummm, they wouldn't be the teams. St. Louis is the logical fit. Major media market. Legit arena. Major investment in the program. Can do bus trips (for hoops and Olympic sports) to DePaul, Creighton, Marquette, Butler, Xavier.

They don't need Dayton as they have Xavier in the southwest Ohio/Cincy market already. (But Dayton would be next on the list.)

URI will not be invited to the Big East. PC covers the market. No A10 team is going to the ACC nor Big 12. Those leagues need to strengthen their football to survive. Move on folks, there's no story here.

Not sure when but the Big Ten would likely want to add (in no particular order): Stanford, Cal, ND, Oregon, Washington, UNC. All have the academics and national standing in athletics to fit into the Big Ten.
Media giants are going to have enormous influence on the P2/P5 transition and this will trickle down to a lesser extent on the basketball-centric conferences of which the BE is the major domo and well behind is the A-10. The prevailing opinion for some time has been that while markets are important, "branding" and the rivalries associated with them are more powerful because of their appeal trans markets. This explains why USC/UCLA, two schools that share a market, made a combined effort to leave the PAC12 for the B10 and is why a few sentiments expressed in playmike's post are somewhat off the mark.

In comparing this to PC/URI, the big difference is USC/UCLA are in the same conference and, while rivals, considered themselves peers whereas URI and PC are in different leagues and no such relationship exists between them. So while the Big East may have been formed based on markets which kept URI out of it, today what keeps URI out is the PC attitude that URI should not even exist (BTW, that sentiment is a direct quote from a URI official, granted it was from years ago). And you see that all the time coming from the PC community. For example their board endlessly debates whether URI is a rival at all, with the majority dismissing the idea. This explains why PC and URI never combined efforts to promote their rivalry game each year to the media. As a observer once said - "the biggest rivalry game that no one knows about". In a "branding" media world you should be touting the game from the highest rafters, yet what PC and its fans do is the exact opposite.

Here's my point in all this - the first ripple effects of the P2/P5 transition will have a negative impact on URI because the A-10 will lose its strongest teams. Exactly how many teams leave will indicate whether the A-10 morphs into a glorified MAAC. URI's realignment options are limited, but in my view it involves: 1) the merger of the best remnants of the A-10 with the best remnants of other basketball leagues or 2) a very large expansion of the Big East driven by a media giant driving the importance of branding and rivalries. Fox is doing exactly that in the Big Ten move. Will they do that in the Big East?

I love the speculation on the P2/P5 transition, but what happens to URI is more important as is the need for this fan base to pressure URI Athletics admin to start thinking about possible next moves now. We can make a difference and have an influence!
You cannot compare URI/PC being in the same market as USC/UCLA being in the same market. USC/UCLA can share the Los Angeles market because of the sheer size of the Los Angeles market. (ChiSox/Cubs, Mets/Yanks, Jets/Giants, etc.) There are enough eyeballs and split loyalties in Los Angeles that they can afford to split that market. That's why the Big Ten went after both schools. The Rhode Island market...they're not going to split it between PC and URI. They're just not. (PC won't go for it.)

Unfortunately, URI is a bottom feeder when it comes to conference realignment...no matter how much screaming, yelling and whining comes from posters on this board. There is just not a huge demand for a school/brand like URI by other conferences right now. While we'd like to hope and believe that URI can be proactive, the reality is that they'll have to be reactive once the dust settles.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It seems that we are the lone wolves with this take on here, agreed again. What happens here with the SEC will precede what comes next… so I suppose we will have to wait and watch.

Suspecting more and more we may see a new conference or two spawn out of the scraps.
Yea, you may be right on that, mike, but the facts will rule the day.

Realignment has been underway for some time and at times it moves at glacial speed, which lulls fans. Oklahoma and Texas announced 12 months ago they were leaving the B12 and nothing happened until this USC/UCLA move. But it looks like things are about to accelerate.

The media giants are playing an increasingly prominent role because they control the money and make no mistake realignment is all about money. For example, today the SEC stands at the top of TV deals with each member getting $54.6 million, The Big Ten teams get $46.0 million and the PAC12 gets a paltry $19.8 million.

The new deal the Big Ten is negotiating is rumored to be in the range of $1 billion and comparing that to the ACC's $240 million clearly shows that league's disadvantage. Most likely the B10 will affect Notre Dame. The Irish get $15 million in their NBC deal plus another $11 million from the ACC. In the past Notre Dame has refused bigger payouts to remain an independent, but will they continue to take that position if their rivals are now getting as much as $80 million a year??

In time the moves in big time football will impact basketball and basketball-centric leagues especially, the Big East since they will have to compete against an expanded SEC and B10, now at 32 teams, possibly going to 40. As an 11 team league, how many interesting pairings in basketball will the BE have to match up against the likes of UCLA vs. Michigan, etc.??
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The networks control the money, but they need content. Eventually, the Cartel -- whether it's five leagues or just two, whether it's 65 schools or 80 or 100, will realize the NCAA is just getting in the way of maximizing their income, so they'll tell the NCAA to shove off.

If you're not in the Cartel, you're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Price of admission to the Cartel? A credible, competitive FBS football program.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
rjv wrote: 1 year ago The Fordham coach going back to Villanova says a lot about where the Fordham program was heading.....Yes under .500 in conf but .500 overall and won a conf tournament game. That is a big step and hopefully it will continue as with the other program to help make the A10 strong.

There are a lot of new good coaches in the A10 and if they follow the BE process and land a nice media contract and bring some big money into each program and get more then 1 team in the tournament things will change
It literally says nothing about where Fordham was heading. It says everything that they brought a long time assistant back

what does it say that they brought a long time assistant back. ?? Remember Neptune left very late in the cycle and left Fordham slim Pickens and virtually no time to begin coach recruiting. Their recruiting class has 3 stars and at least one 4 star. For now, they have turned the corner. Would not be surprised to see themin the second tier of teams and not with the cellar dwellers,
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

what does it say that they brought a long time assistant back. ?? Remember Neptune left very late in the cycle and left Fordham slim Pickens and virtually no time to begin coach recruiting. Their recruiting class has 3 stars and at least one 4 star. For now, they have turned the corner. Would not be surprised to see themin the second tier of teams and not with the cellar dwellers,
They'll have a couple good players and then they'll transfer after this year. They'll forever suck.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PC fans, for the last 40+ years, have looked down on URI because they're in a superior conference. I agree, they have been in a superior conference. But they are in that conference for one reason and one reason only. That reason just happens to be the exact same reason that URI isn't in that superior conference. When the Big East was formed, URI was the better program. One man changed that.
I really hate this line of thinking.

It's been a URI problem this whole time. Gavitt was a visionary and in the PC camp. Wish we had a guy like that, we didn't.

You know what we could've done for the years between 1979-2022? INVEST IN BASKETBALL. We didn't. It took Cox's colossal failure and a president following an AD's vision to finally change that.

If we had invested like PC invested, we'd have been a competent program that could've kept a coach like Penders or Harrick or Hurley and given them the facilities and support to go and get top talent.

We didn't. The PC hate is of course warranted, but the "they look down on us" mentality is warranted for them. Until March, we operated as a small time program. Small time budget. Small time thinking. And thus, small time results by and large.

But again, just because we're investing now - doesn't mean that we've "made it" because we haven't.

Yes what we're getting is nice...for us. But we need to continue to do more. The practice facility will be a great addition - but we're just barely keeping up. It's nowhere near what PC has. Or VCU.

PC deserves the accolades, attention, and higher standing. They've invested and earned it. We're finally starting to do the same, but to act like the Big East is going to say "wow cmon URI, you'd help the brand" when we haven't beaten a ranked team in 4 years is dumb.

Just because we're doing something big for URI, doesn't mean it will impress the rest of the college basketball world, especially the Big East, who's members have been doing what we just decided to do for decades.

Just get the right coaches (we did), give them right right support (we are), and trust that they'll produce winning seasons that will open up doors.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big 10 possible adds:

Notre Dame
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
California
Miami
Florida State

per the report

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cf ... -expansion
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thanks for posting this, Ramster. Was surprised by Miami and/or Florida State on the list but, reading the article, it makes sense for B10 football.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ND is a no brainer if they can work out the finances.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago ND is a no brainer if they can work out the finances.
As long as there's a network that will take Notre Dame as a stand-alone package, Notre Dame has no reason to join a conference. Otherwise, Notre Dame would have been in the Big 10 decades ago.

BTW, Mrs. Red (Michigan State '83) and I would love Miami in the Big 10.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Sound reasoning from you and Mrs. Red. Hope it comes to pass. Happy wife, happy life.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago ND is a no brainer if they can work out the finances.
As long as there's a network that will take Notre Dame as a stand-alone package, Notre Dame has no reason to join a conference. Otherwise, Notre Dame would have been in the Big 10 decades ago.

BTW, Mrs. Red (Michigan State '83) and I would love Miami in the Big 10.
This may have been true for Notre Dame in the past, but given the moves of the SEC and the Big Ten, big questions loom for the Irish. Their current deal with NBC, set to expire in 2025, pays the Irish $22 million per year, an amount that is below what the SEC and Big Ten schools get today. The new Big Ten media deal is rumored to have a $80+million annual payoff per school. Notre Dame has now asked NBC for a future deal that pays them $75 million and if NBC or another network meets that demand then the Irish will stay independent, otherwise they will be forced to join a conference to stay competitive with the elite programs.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good points from OB and Red, above. ND will need to create strong demand from more networks than just NBC or they won’t approach the payouts offered by the SEC and B10. I wonder what other networks will step up?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Good points from OB and Red, above. ND will need to create strong demand from more networks than just NBC or they won’t approach the payouts offered by the SEC and B10. I wonder what other networks will step up?
I think ND should just contact the LIV tour - I bet they would pay $100mil to own the ND rights (this is only half a joke).
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

That would be one interesting partnership. That is outside the box thinking, right there.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Notre Dame continues to play it right, as they always have.
Continue to have a Great product to offer and stay available to the highest bidder.
Avoids having to pay a huge exit fee if they want to change conference.
Notre Dame will have the remaining P5, P4, P2 or whatever big Big Time Sports Conferences remain bidding for them - with no conference exit fee to muddy the waters
Brilliant strategy.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The CAA adds another team. The hybrid conference continues to water down both its basketball and football leagues. Will have effect on Rhody football program.

Future CAA Football
Delaware
Towson
William & Mary
Elon
NC A&T
Stony Brook
Monmouth
Hampton
Campbell
Maine
UNH
URI
Albany
Villanova
Richmond

Future CAA Basketball
Delaware
Towson
William & Mary
Elon
NC A&T
Stony Brook
Monmouth
Hampton
Campbell
Drexel
UNC-Wilmington
Hofstra
Northeastern
Charleston
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Notre Dame continues to play it right, as they always have.
Continue to have a Great product to offer and stay available to the highest bidder.
Notre Dame will have the remaining P5, P4, P2 or whatever big Big Time Sports Conferences remain bidding for them - with no conference exit fee to muddy the waters
Brilliant strategy.
It's a great strategy, until it isn't. I think Notre Dame can get at least one more big network contract, because they've been good recently. The next time the contract comes up, and they haven't been good, I think that's when they'll be in trouble. But hell, I think there will always be a spot available for them in the Big 10 or SEC, wherever they want to go, even if they suck at the time they join.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Notre Dame continues to play it right, as they always have.
Brilliant strategy.
It's a great strategy, until it isn't. I think Notre Dame can get at least one more big network contract, because they've been good recently. The next time the contract comes up, and they haven't been good, I think that's when they'll be in trouble. But hell, I think there will always be a spot available for them in the Big 10 or SEC, wherever they want to go, even if they suck at the time they join.
Sure,
But lets look at Notre Dame the last 5 years:

Overall Record/End of Season Rank, (Highest Rank During the Season)
2021: 11-2, Ranked #8, Highest Rank 5th
2020: 10-2, Ranked #5, Highest Rank 2nd
2019: 11-2, Ranked #12, Highest Rank 7th
2018: 12-1, Ranked #5, Highest Rank 3rd
2017: 10-3, Ranked #11, Highest Rank 3rd

Notre Dame has a very powerful fan following. Soldi performance last 5 years. No ties to any conference to have to pay buy out penalties. Great catch for any conference.

Odds that Notre will suck at the time they join a conference are about the odds of winning the last Mega-Millions
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Brilliant strategy.
Sure,

Notre Dame has a very powerful fan following. Soldi performance last 5 years. No ties to any conference to have to pay buy out penalties. Great catch for any conference.

Odds that Notre will suck at the time they join a conference are about the odds of winning the last Mega-Millions
So this is where I disagree - ND cannot compete with the top of the SEC. They are ranked high because they generally avoid those teams, a full schedule against the SEC would be a problem unless they significantly lower their academic standards. I think going to the SEC would be a mistake. They can probably hang out near the top of the Big10, even the expanded version so that is where they should go competition-wise. Still think they should just take some Saudi LIV money. They say the Saudis are mostly looking to disrupt American sport, make a splash in college sports would be huge.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Brilliant strategy.
Sure,

I don't think ND is going anywhere for a while.
They will probably stay put unless there are significant defections in the ACC or a change in the CFP (on hold till 2026).

Don't see the SEC in their future, if anything the B10.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Brilliant strategy.
I wouldn't say they have a "great" product. They get a ton of attention because of their past, name, and by beating mediocre to good teams but then get blown out and exposed anytime they play a top team. If it was almost any other program they wouldn't be talked about the way Notre Dame gets talked about. They're a pretender program and that's why Brian Kelly faked a Southern accent and went to LSU
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If ND is a pretender football program, then so is every program outside of SC, AL and GA. And, ND has academic standards that are not a joke.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago

Sure,

So this is where I disagree - ND cannot compete with the top of the SEC. They are ranked high because they generally avoid those teams, a full schedule against the SEC would be a problem unless they significantly lower their academic standards. I think going to the SEC would be a mistake. They can probably hang out near the top of the Big10, even the expanded version so that is where they should go competition-wise. Still think they should just take some Saudi LIV money. They say the Saudis are mostly looking to disrupt American sport, make a splash in college sports would be huge.

Here is Notre Dame's Schedule for 2022 including Preseason AP Ranking:

Play @ #2 Ohio State, @#22 Brigham Young, #4 Clemson, @ #8 USC

Notre Dame is Ranked #5 Pre-Season

@ #2 Ohio State (cheapest ticket $329)
Marshall
California
@ #30 North Carolina
@ #22 Brigham Young in Las Vegas
Stanford
UNLV
@ Syracuse
#4 Clemson (cheapest ticket $259)