Marketing & Fan Engagement Failures

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Brian Forster
ARD

Re: Marketing & Fan Engagement Failures

Unread post by Brian Forster »

We might need alcohol and drug testing for this board.
Rhowdy-drugs and alcohol cost money. Did you pawn your comic book collection? if not,start saving now for the Mayors cup.
I hear there are plenty of seats available.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
You made yet another dumb point in a string of dumb points you've been making this week and I called you on it. You said no song older than 10 years old should be played while comparing us negatively to the PC experience where their biggest national recognition was playing a 14 year old song. Also I'm sure students aren't skipping games because of the music being played.

Outside of that I agree for the most part on the DJ situation. When students aren't on break the music choices need to be geared towards them. Hell, I don't even know if we need an actual DJ, have the Ruckus nominate songs they want to hear and just have whoever controls the PA play those, we don't need someone filling the DJ position. Or have a Ruckus member actually be the guest DJ of the game.

I also don't even think the biggest problem with our game presentation in regards to the students is the DJ. The biggest problem is having a guy in his mid-30's trying to start the chants. Let the students lead the student section
Really, truly, thank you. Thank you for just proving my point with your response. You sound EXCEPTIONALLY fun.

You need to stop focusing on the wrong details and taking things so seriously, as do most other URI fans. Me saying that we play irrelevant old crap music at games is not the point I was driving at, but a quick off-the-cuff example of the larger point. But you say it’s “dumb?” Well no shit, Sherlock, because you’ve missed the entire point.

You can hang on that minute detail, though, because you’re butthurt that I submit PC has a better atmosphere in those regards. Our students aren’t skipping games because of the DJ, you’re right. They skip the games because they are not fun or appealing. Ouch! Right?

And the DJ plays a big factor in the atmosphere that makes it appeal to them. This has been a long standing problem. I had to drag people to games when I was in school and the students I talk to now say it’s even worse. The university has done everything possible to nerf the experience so nobody wants to go…

This is a direct quote from a recent grad I spoke to about the student section problem: “It’s really only the loser kids from high school that end up going to games unless the team is really good.” Big ouch! The loser kids? What gives? Hint: ITS THE FUN POLICE

Also - just no. Want to guarantee things get worse? Don’t have a DJ and hand the responsibility over to some aged white guys with the collective style of a wet sock. You saying that also makes me realize you don’t really understand that getting people excited, as a DJ in a stadium, is a skill. The music doesn’t just make it happen. Ours can just be particularly CRINGE - that was the point I was trying to make.

Not to mention having a library of music isn’t something anyone just has “access” to. It takes time and resources to amass, and an art to perform it. This is why pro teams pay big money for game day DJs.

You say my point about bad music is “dumb,” but you suggest we use no DJ. Honestly… no further comment, my dude. Lulz
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Can we put a copy/paste limit on posts? This thread has become intolerable.

intolerable

intolerable

intolerable

intolerable

intolerable

intolerable
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

the_one_mike wrote: 1 year ago
This is a direct quote from a recent grad I spoke to about the student section problem: “It’s really only the loser kids from high school that end up going to games unless the team is really good.” Big ouch! The loser kids? What gives? Hint: ITS THE FUN POLICE
This is the quote that sums it all up.

It all boils down to the fan experience we want to target. This has been my cross to bear for most of my life with URI.

Do you want to have a sports atmosphere? Or do you want to have a family atmosphere? You can't have both.

The funny thing is, everyone, families included, have more fun in the sports atmosphere.

From management on down - the crack downs on drinking - specifically in the student section, on behavior- specifically in the student section, on what you can say - specifically in the student section, what you can show on the boards, etc, etc...

PC? Games are great there. The arena is a hockey arena so the seats pretty much suck outside of the lower bowl on the court, but they did a nice job with the renovations. The concessions are top notch. The booze selections are plentiful. And behavior isn't regulated. That combined with an attitude of "let the kids be kids" tends to bring out a fun place that everyone wants to be. It becomes an event.

The reason a taylor swift sing off couldn't become a thing at the Ryan Center is because everything has to be "approved" fun - which as everyone knows, is the best kind. Those type of sing offs happen all over the place (all the small things in Denver during the cup run) - you just need the DJ/PA people to be able to recognize it and go with it, and game day ops to be flexible enough to go with certain things.

We also sell ads on everything (because we don't offer a consistently fun experience, have enough concession stands open/workers, sell enough things that people want to buy, sell enough beer at enough places, etc - meaning less gameday revenue) which means that JV has to go out there and stick to the script.

For example, remember that idiot that ran around in the Ryan Center and did the wave? That was a fun thing. It wasn't planned, it was spontaneous. And it didn't happen in a forced corporate manner without thinking about what was happening in the game - like during blowouts when it would be stupid.

But of course, like most things there, at some point it was deemed "dangerous" so they had to stop doing it.

Flag man was a cool, organic thing. Tummy time was an all-time electric crowd celebration. I literally don't think our camera people know how to zoom in on individual fans - so every jumbotron shot is dumb and un-engaging because you have a wide angle shot of like 2-3 rows of 30 people.

We experimented with a kiss cam - but that was probably deemed inappropriate.

At the Ryan Center it feels like security will come and get you if you say any word too loud unless everyone is yelling (which is rare). Never mind a swear.

And I've been at plenty of other college games in other arenas with or without URI playing. Other Learfield properties (PC and UConn especially), and they NEVER have these types of issues.

URI has targeted "kid friendly" which is funny since most games are past bedtime on school nights. So this is what you get. PC has targeted sports fans as their target market, and set everything up accordingly.

Loosen the reigns or expect to have lackluster crowds and experiences unless its a big game and you get the sports fans to suck it up to watch good basketball.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

It all boils down to the fan experience we want to target. This has been my cross to bear for most of my life with URI.

Do you want to have a sports atmosphere? Or do you want to have a family atmosphere? You can't have both.

The funny thing is, everyone, families included, have more fun in the sports atmosphere.

From management on down - the crack downs on drinking - specifically in the student section, on behavior- specifically in the student section, on what you can say - specifically in the student section, what you can show on the boards, etc, etc...

PC? Games are great there. The arena is a hockey arena so the seats pretty much suck outside of the lower bowl on the court, but they did a nice job with the renovations. The concessions are top notch. The booze selections are plentiful. And behavior isn't regulated. That combined with an attitude of "let the kids be kids" tends to bring out a fun place that everyone wants to be. It becomes an event.

The reason a taylor swift sing off couldn't become a thing at the Ryan Center is because everything has to be "approved" fun - which as everyone knows, is the best kind. Those type of sing offs happen all over the place (all the small things in Denver during the cup run) - you just need the DJ/PA people to be able to recognize it and go with it, and game day ops to be flexible enough to go with certain things.

We also sell ads on everything (because we don't offer a consistently fun experience, have enough concession stands open/workers, sell enough things that people want to buy, sell enough beer at enough places, etc - meaning less gameday revenue) which means that JV has to go out there and stick to the script.

For example, remember that idiot that ran around in the Ryan Center and did the wave? That was a fun thing. It wasn't planned, it was spontaneous. And it didn't happen in a forced corporate manner without thinking about what was happening in the game - like during blowouts when it would be stupid.

But of course, like most things there, at some point it was deemed "dangerous" so they had to stop doing it.

Flag man was a cool, organic thing. Tummy time was an all-time electric crowd celebration. I literally don't think our camera people know how to zoom in on individual fans - so every jumbotron shot is dumb and un-engaging because you have a wide angle shot of like 2-3 rows of 30 people.

At the Ryan Center it feels like security will come and get you if you say any word too loud unless everyone is yelling (which is rare). Never mind a swear.

And I've been at plenty of other college games in other arenas with or without URI playing. Other Learfield properties (PC and UConn especially), and they NEVER have these types of issues.

URI has targeted "kid friendly" which is funny since most games are past bedtime on school nights. So this is what you get. PC has targeted sports fans as their target market, and set everything up accordingly.

Loosen the reigns or expect to have lackluster crowds and experiences unless its a big game and you get the sports fans to suck it up to watch good basketball.
Strong agree. As someone approaching their late-30s with a 6 year old, I'd rather take her to a sporting event over a family event. I don't worry about the people around us swearing because it's my job to parent her and tell her why those words are sometimes inappropriate. I don't rely on others to parent my kid by proxy (through regulating the environment).
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Winning fixes everything

Time
To
Win
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Winning fixes everything

Time
To
Win
Absolutely true. But for a program that doesn't win a whole lot - the other stuff matters.

Also, the other stuff contributes to winning since home court actually matters in college basketball.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Agree with you here. And there are still things you can do to try and keep everyone happy (people will bitch no matter what of course). Some stadiums/arenas have "family" sections where there is no alcohol. Put a couple of extra ushers in that area and people that would rather avoid the other sections still have an option where the crowd may be a bit less rambunctious.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Winning fixes everything

Time
To
Win
Absolutely true. But for a program that doesn't win a whole lot - the other stuff matters.

Also, the other stuff contributes to winning since home court actually matters in college basketball.
I agree no excuses for past nonsense. I’m expecting Miller to make some suggestions (demands) once he has established a winning program.

Time to win (and time to make “Think big we do” a slogan with some teeth)

I’m optimistic

Let’s go!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

NO DOUBT !
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago NO DOUBT !
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago NO DOUBT !
Where are the Gwen Stefani lyrics? :lol:
1 x