Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by The Dude »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I believe that the opposing league team coaches and fans complained to the A-10 about the treatment they got and the conference office asked URI to move them. Section 104 was right behind the bench and next to the visitor team family and friends Section 103.
I realize I'm very late in chiming in on this, but that is correct. Myself & ATP were some of the many vocal individuals that let opposing teams know how happy we were to see them. Pretty sure John Chaney of Temple really hated us. It was too much fun sitting there. Like shooting fish in a barrel.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

The Dude wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I believe that the opposing league team coaches and fans complained to the A-10 about the treatment they got and the conference office asked URI to move them. Section 104 was right behind the bench and next to the visitor team family and friends Section 103.
I realize I'm very late in chiming in on this, but that is correct. Myself & ATP were some of the many vocal individuals that let opposing teams know how happy we were to see them. Pretty sure John Chaney of Temple really hated us. It was too much fun sitting there. Like shooting fish in a barrel.
The world has certainly gone soft. I was in school the last year this existed, I believe my freshmen year was the last? 80-09. I remember when VCU came in pre A10 and they had Eric Maynor and Larry Sanders who would both go in the first round in the following two years.

We were riding Maynor HARD and he was visibly complaining on multiple occasions to the VCU staff, and we eventually got warned by the officials during a stoppage. I believe the section was moved the following year.

Being that VCU was basically auditioning for the A10 at that point, I’ve always thought that the administration had it moved in part because that game was important for optics and we certainly put on a show… ha!
2 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I would say with no rumors and being so quiet that there will never be an overhead video/scoreboard?

I will wait patiently for the in game water stoppage!!
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

I think we can all hope that the A-10 does not experiment with adopting this last proposal. Posting here since two extra media timeouts per game would definitely have an adverse impact on my own in-game experience. (I’m also curious about the technology behind the use of video streams at the team bench. Is that something this program has the technology in place to do?)

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 1 year ago I think we can all hope that the A-10 does not experiment with adopting this last proposal. Posting here since two extra media timeouts per game would definitely have an adverse impact on my own in-game experience. (I’m also curious about the technology behind the use of video streams at the team bench. Is that something this program has the technology in place to do?)
That's not really that hard to implement, whether you're having an intern actually recording the game from floor level, or just having one following along on the broadcast - or both. Just a matter of having a couple tablets or iPads, and the people to use them. (The quality doesn't have to be broadcast level.)
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 1 year ago I think we can all hope that the A-10 does not experiment with adopting this last proposal. Posting here since two extra media timeouts per game would definitely have an adverse impact on my own in-game experience. (I’m also curious about the technology behind the use of video streams at the team bench. Is that something this program has the technology in place to do?)
That’s not really that hard to implement, whether you’re having an intern actually recording the game from floor level, or just having one following along on the broadcast - or both. Just a matter of having a couple tablets or iPads, and the people to use them. (The quality doesn’t have to be broadcast level.)
Oh right, good point about the quality — but maybe that would force them to have to upgrade their wireless internet infrastructure. 🤞
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

someone sign me up for a class and i'll do it..

can't wait for karaoke night at the ryan during the TV timeouts..

https://twitter.com/GoRhodyRams/status/ ... Drz_MqAAAA
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago someone sign me up for a class and i'll do it..

can't wait for karaoke night at the ryan during the TV timeouts..

https://twitter.com/GoRhodyRams/status/ ... Drz_MqAAAA
I’ll sign up just to rip the St Joes Hawks head off with a tire once again.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 2 years ago Random question here... Why doesn't the Ryan Center put some students in section 104 behind the benches? It looks great on TV and keeps students from being pushed up to the 300s if they arrive late to the game. For the fun of it I was going through some replays and noticed that they did it in 2004:
Haha. I remember being at this game, I was a sophomore. First few seasons students were behind the bench ever since RC opened Fall ‘02.

FWIW aside from wifi annoyances, the RC does not feel like a 20 year old building at all.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Didn't know where to put this but Rhode Island got a mention, so.....

Here's the blurb:

"In reality, I've been to more than 30 truly great college basketball venues, though. Off the top of my head, I can remember sweet experiences at Rhode Island, Baylor, Maryland, Syracuse, Kentucky and Yale -- and that's just the start of it."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... asketball/
5 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Awesome

We are gonna rock the house once we start winning this year !
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago Awesome

We are gonna rock the house once we start winning this year !
I thought it was a nice mention. The Ryan Center can be crazy. Like the Nebraska game recently and some of the Temple games were nuts. Nice to be included in this article for sure.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

instead of random 'fat heads' in the end zones.. shouldn't we be having more of an archie theme ?

i would get rid of all the random fat heads and only do rhody inspired end zones and archie stuff

1) archie comic
2) archie bunker
3) miller time
4) old school rhody
5) interlocking RI

you can do a lot w the archie comics

if i was the ruckus i would get archie costumes for the entire band - it would be a fun theme
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago instead of random 'fat heads' in the end zones.. shouldn't we be having more of an archie theme ?

i would get rid of all the random fat heads and only do rhody inspired end zones and archie stuff

1) archie comic
2) archie bunker
3) miller time
4) old school rhody
5) interlocking RI

if i was the ruckus i would get archie costumes for the entire band - it would be a fun theme
The pep band could learn to play Sugar Sugar. Although I'm pretty sure nobody would get it.
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago instead of random 'fat heads' in the end zones.. shouldn't we be having more of an archie theme ?

1) archie comic
2) archie bunker
3) miller time
4) old school rhody
5) interlocking RI

The pep band could learn to play Sugar Sugar. Although I'm pretty sure nobody would get it.

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’ve feen fat heads of Brady and Leo D any others ??
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Yeah it makes no sense at all and they are all many years old

Memo: Leo stopped wearing the rhody hat and Brady is in FLA… move on already
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago Yeah it makes no sense at all and they are all many years old

Memo: Leo stopped wearing the rhody hat and Brady is in FLA… move on already
Having a ton of Archies is a WAY better idea. Leo head has been around forever. I know he likes college aged girls but 🤢
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

There should be an Archie’s cartoon theme w a bunch of dress ups and the Ryan center sing a long song should be sugar sugar and they should show the cartoon video on the Jumbotron

It would be our thing and very unique

Do I need think of all the brilliant ideas around here ?.. LOL
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago There should be an Archie’s cartoon theme w a bunch of dress ups and the Ryan center sing a long song should be sugar sugar and they should show the cartoon video on the Jumbotron

No, there shouldn’t be.

You think 18-22 year olds have any idea about that? They don’t.
2 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago There should be an Archie’s cartoon theme w a bunch of dress ups and the Ryan center sing a long song should be sugar sugar and they should show the cartoon video on the Jumbotron

No, there shouldn’t be.

You think 18-22 year olds have any idea about that? They don’t.
They can’t be educated about it? Have you surveyed all the 18-22 year old fans? What were the results?

Do the younger fans at Fenway, when they sing that sickening song, know who Neal Diamond is? Probably not but they sing it because they were taught to through repetition.

Why jump on ECR for making a suggestion without documentation to support your claim? He’s adding content and I enjoy the perspective whether I agree or not.

I’m ornery from yesterday’s loss. My apologies, especially Neil Diamond fans.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I said it in another thread, but it's become beyond annoying during free throws that the small screen does not have static stats displayed. It gives me a chance to see points by player, fouls etc. It is the only time I look for it since, well, the rest of the time I'm watching the actual game. And having stats in the ribbon is just small time to me. I find myself looking back at the big screen and thus miss the free throws.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I said it in another thread, but it's become beyond annoying during free throws that the small screen does not have static stats displayed. It gives me a chance to see points by player, fouls etc. It is the only time I look for it since, well, the rest of the time I'm watching the actual game. And having stats in the ribbon is just small time to me. I find myself looking back at the big screen and thus miss the free throws.
Nevermind that there's a small portion of the seating bowl that literally can't see the big board at any time
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I said it in another thread, but it's become beyond annoying during free throws that the small screen does not have static stats displayed. It gives me a chance to see points by player, fouls etc. It is the only time I look for it since, well, the rest of the time I'm watching the actual game. And having stats in the ribbon is just small time to me. I find myself looking back at the big screen and thus miss the free throws.
Nevermind that there's a small portion of the seating bowl that literally can't see the big board at any time
I can see the top half so I can at least see what the score is.
1 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I had a friend with me who is a big Michigan fan. He couldn’t believe that he couldn’t get updates on his phone of the game. Another friend couldn’t get scores of the Holy Cross football game. One was just back from vacation in Mexico in some lagoon where he could get reception. I told him he was not in the lagoon anymore.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Another thing. When I went to the BC game, there was no security measures. No wanding, no emptying of pockets. Just show your ticket and walk in. When does the Ryan Center revert back to normal??????
2 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Another thing. When I went to the BC game, there was no security measures. No wanding, no emptying of pockets. Just show your ticket and walk in. When does the Ryan Center revert back to normal??????
Today's WBB game was free to everyone- no scanning of tickets/wanding or security of any sort, school kids bringing in lunch boxes and water bottles. Come and go as you please.
3000+ people
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So the over the top “security” isn’t actually required.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago So the over the top “security” isn’t actually required.
Nope.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Great observation
0 x
GO RAMS
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

No security protocals at all at Boston College.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

eli#10 wrote: 1 year ago No security protocals at all at Boston College.
I’ve waited in a line a grand total of about seven seconds at the home games this year.

Zero problem walking thru a metal detector.

Nobody will be coming to these games the rest of the year so it’s not like we’ll be waiting outside for 10+ minutes.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Something needs to be done about the concessions lines during games. It's great that you can buy beer at most stands and bring it back to your seat, but it's made it so you have to choose whether you're going to the game to watch the game or to buy concessions, you can't really do both. There was an announced attendance of 5917 and it was virtually impossible to get to a stand in less than 10 minutes
5 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

My take is they really don't care. The slowness of concessions seems to always be an issue. It's been worse the last couple of games. If you don't have enough help figure out a way to streamline things. Having one person at a register checking ids, giving you a wristband and opening the can for you is ridiculous. Shut down a couple of the stands and put more people in the ones that are open. Better yet do what the Patriots did(maybe they still do) and get groups in to work concessions and give them a small cut for their organization. If you want the program to stop looking like a 2 bit operation get creative and fix it. Fix everything. We have a great arena. We hired a top notch coach. We're building the practice facility. Now work on the secondary things to make it a more enjoyable total experience. Plus maybe you won't be leaving so much money on the table. Fix it Rhody.
6 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I went to the RC for the game on 1/21. My wife and I stopped in at the Bookstore in the Union before the game. No basketball jerseys there, okay I will pick one up at the store inside the arena. Go down to the Ryan Center, the only uniforms they had in that shop were for kids.

Did I miss something or is there no where on campus to buy a new jersey? was really looking forward to getting one of the Ocean State alternate uniform.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 1 year ago I went to the RC for the game on 1/21. My wife and I stopped in at the Bookstore in the Union before the game. No basketball jerseys there, okay I will pick one up at the store inside the arena. Go down to the Ryan Center, the only uniforms they had in that shop were for kids.

Did I miss something or is there no where on campus to buy a new jersey? was really looking forward to getting one of the Ocean State alternate uniform.
Sad, but I'm not surprised. Seems like this kind of stuff has been going on for 50 years.
2 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 1 year ago I went to the RC for the game on 1/21. My wife and I stopped in at the Bookstore in the Union before the game. No basketball jerseys there, okay I will pick one up at the store inside the arena. Go down to the Ryan Center, the only uniforms they had in that shop were for kids.

I would imagine it is now a NIL issue. If they want to sell jerseys with players numbers on them now players will probably ask to(and should) be compensated. They probably just have not figured out how to do it yet if I had to guess.
0 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Maybe the store didn't have their whole inventory out for viewing? Website indicates jerseys are available

https://ramszone.uri.edu/MerchDetail?Me ... 9kbqXbMLcs
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago

I would imagine it is now a NIL issue. If they want to sell jerseys with players numbers on them now players will probably ask to(and should) be compensated. They probably just have not figured out how to do it yet if I had to guess.
Nah it’s been an issue since well before NIl. We never have legit jerseys. Always weird castoffs. Like, idk if they don’t think people would pay for authentic or replica jerseys - but we would.

You go to other schools and their selection is insane. We always look like the fundraiser for your local high school.

At least the basketball team is getting fixed. I’m hopeful when we’re a legit program with legit commitments the other stuff will come.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

When we made the NCAA runs with Hurley there were slightly better men's BB uni jerseys available if I recall. Slightly.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody gear isn't great. The jerseys/gear were great right before Hurley jumped ship. Since then......eh.
2 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago

Nah it’s been an issue since well before NIl. We never have legit jerseys. Always weird castoffs. Like, idk if they don’t think people would pay for authentic or replica jerseys - but we would.

You go to other schools and their selection is insane. We always look like the fundraiser for your local high school.

At least the basketball team is getting fixed. I’m hopeful when we’re a legit program with legit commitments the other stuff will come.
Even the La Salle fans that made the trip to the Ryan Center on Saturday were all wearing quality, sharp, authentic-looking jerseys. And that's LA SALLE.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Rhody gear isn't great. The jerseys/gear were great right before Hurley jumped ship. Since then......eh.

get rid of adidas
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago My take is they really don't care. The slowness of concessions seems to always be an issue. It's been worse the last couple of games. If you don't have enough help figure out a way to streamline things. Having one person at a register checking ids, giving you a wristband and opening the can for you is ridiculous. Shut down a couple of the stands and put more people in the ones that are open. Better yet do what the Patriots did(maybe they still do) and get groups in to work concessions and give them a small cut for their organization. If you want the program to stop looking like a 2 bit operation get creative and fix it. Fix everything. We have a great arena. We hired a top notch coach. We're building the practice facility. Now work on the secondary things to make it a more enjoyable total experience. Plus maybe you won't be leaving so much money on the table. Fix it Rhody.

good take

they can care less

someone needs to be a leader here and fix it
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Are we still contracting out for most of the services / management at Ryan? If so, it seems about time to switch management here, or to just give a go at doing it with dedicated internal staff. (This latter option would probably be a shit show at first, but if we're going to fuck up, might as well have it be URI's management vs. some outside company you can't really discipline or manage.)
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Are we still contracting out for most of the services / management at Ryan? If so, it seems about time to switch management here, or to just give a go at doing it with dedicated internal staff. (This latter option would probably be a shit show at first, but if we're going to fuck up, might as well have it be URI's management vs. some outside company you can't really discipline or manage.)
Spectra Venue Management (formerly Global Spectrum) handles the Ryan Center.

The AMP is run by ASM Global.

All I know is that every complaint I have about the Ryan Center - absurd security lines, terrible concessions (in selection, quality, and service), sound presentation, literally everything comes down to game day operations. IDK if it's a lack of money or what, but it's been persistently terrible for 3 presidents and 4 athletic directors - so I don't think the main issues are on the URI side of things.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

My friend/neighbor has a contract with The Ryan Center to supply a couple of food items for games and events. I mentioned to him last week that people were complaining about the really slow lines and service during games. He said that whomever he deals with there that manages it said it has been particularly bad during break because many of the employees working the food and drink stands are students that had gone home.

The person said it should be better now that the kids/workers are back. We'll see I guess.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Rhody gear isn't great. The jerseys/gear were great right before Hurley jumped ship. Since then......eh.

get rid of adidas
I'm not a huge adidas person, but whether it's adidas or Nike or UA, it can be done.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago My friend/neighbor has a contract with The Ryan Center to supply a couple of food items for games and events. I mentioned to him last week that people were complaining about the really slow lines and service during games. He said that whomever he deals with there that manages it said it has been particularly bad during break because many of the employees working the food and drink stands are students that had gone home.

The person said it should be better now that the kids/workers are back. We'll see I guess.
They could solve this if they hired temp workers for the games students are out. Tough thing is the way they set this up they can't hire high school kids because of the beer/wine sales. They could have dedicated beer concessions and dedicated food concessions though. If they did that, kids under 18 could work the food and they could staff the beer with 18+.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Are we still contracting out for most of the services / management at Ryan? If so, it seems about time to switch management here, or to just give a go at doing it with dedicated internal staff. (This latter option would probably be a shit show at first, but if we're going to fuck up, might as well have it be URI's management vs. some outside company you can't really discipline or manage.)
Spectra Venue Management (formerly Global Spectrum) handles the Ryan Center.

The AMP is run by ASM Global.

All I know is that every complaint I have about the Ryan Center - absurd security lines, terrible concessions (in selection, quality, and service), sound presentation, literally everything comes down to game day operations. IDK if it's a lack of money or what, but it's been persistently terrible for 3 presidents and 4 athletic directors - so I don't think the main issues are on the URI side of things.
Spectra was acquired by Oak View Group in August. You can tell they're serious because they use some form of the word disruption multiple times on their homepage (insert jerk off emoji here).

https://www.oakviewgroup.com/

Last I knew Centerplate was in charge of concessions, and they've been absorbed by Sodexo. Not sure if Sodexo, Oak View Group, or someone else is in charge of concessions now
2 x