Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by Obadiah »

I get conference realignment is scary for a lot of people on here because URI has no control over its own fate, but most of these takes are off the wall.

1. Dayton to Big 12?
2. UMass to Big 12?
3. VCU to ACC?
4. URI to Big East or ACC?
5. Davidson to the ACC

Football drives all these decisions. Repeat that as many times as you need to until you realize how foolish 1-3, 5, and URI to the ACC sounds. "But..." No. Seriously, no. Keep repeating football drives all these decisions until you realize how foolish those proposals are.

Now let's tackle the rest of these where it relates to non-football matters, starting with URI. Look, it would be great to get invited to the Big East, and you can make a solid case that we'd be a good add for them, however there's just one giant problem there. Why would PC give up one of its biggest advantages over us and let us in to the Big East? They wouldn't, so we're stuck in the A10. VCU and Saint Louis both make more sense to join the Big East than us from the perspective of the Big East membership. Richmond would also make more sense if for some crazy reason VCU declined an invite. Loyola faces the same problem we have with joining the Big East, there's already a team in their market that probably wants nothing to do with sharing their market with a second Big East team. As for UMass, why would they jump all the way up to the Big 12 when they couldn't even get the American to sniff them in all the moves that happened last summer? Speaking of the American, I didn't dismiss the possibilities you mentioned out of hand but let's take a look at the future AAC as best we can tell right now:

East Carolina, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulane, Tulsa, Wichita State, UAB, Florida Atlantic, UNC Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, Texas San Antonio.

That is a TERRIBLE basketball conference. The Atlantic 10 is going to be a better basketball conference than that collective in three years time if
we're not poached by the Big East in the meantime, but that also assumes the AAC isn't poached either. Why would A10 schools move to that conference as basketball only members? Hell, we should be making overtures to Wichita State if we haven't been all along.

Hey, it sucks that things are changing and we don't control our own destiny, but it's not so scary if we stop inventing possibilities that will never take place in the real world for lots of logical reasons. All we can do is try to use our voice in the conference to make it better. If we can't force the dregs of the conference out try to get rules instituted where they have to use the money they get from the conference to invest more into their men's basketball program. If we admit members make sure they're ones that add value. We've seen that the A10 can be a good basketball only conference that exists a tier below the Big East, now we need the conference to get back to that place
Thanks to you and mike for injecting some realism into this discussion. This is a media driven world and they will have a big, big say in how this all evolves. Right now it's Fox with the Big Ten and ESPN on the SEC. But those arrangements may or may not be totally exclusive and there are other players stirring the pot like Apple, Amazon, Starz and some of the linear networks like NBC and CBS Sports. It's going to get complicated before it becomes clearer. Some of the media deals may top $1billion.

It's important that we follow this closely because how it shakes out will definitely affect URI. It would be nice if URI got into the Big East, but I agree PC would block that. My only optimism on this score is how the media has influenced college athletics so that branding and pairings have now become more important than market size which was the predicate for the BE formation. So a conference's attribute will not be solely based on the sizes of markets served, but how many brands do you have and how many interesting pairings does that produce. What URI has is a fierce in-state rivalry with PC. PC fans in their smugness don't acknowledge that, but the truth is it is unique in New England. UConn doesn't have that, neither does UMass. URI in the Big East makes more sense if the BE becomes a basketball-centic super conference of 18 or twenty teams. The number of interesting game pairings would significantly increase which is exactly what the media giants will pay for. This not only gets us more TV revenue, it also gets top notch productions, not Flosports. PC fans hate us, UMass fans hate us, VCU fans hate us, Dayton fans hate us. I love hate, it brings notoriety and increases viewership.
Last edited by Obadiah 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago
I get conference realignment is scary for a lot of people on here because URI has no control over its own fate, but most of these takes are off the wall.

1. Dayton to Big 12?
2. UMass to Big 12?
3. VCU to ACC?
5. Davidson to the ACC

Football drives all these decisions. Repeat that as many times as you need to until you realize how foolish 1-3, 5, and URI to the ACC sounds. "But..." No. Seriously, no. Keep repeating football drives all these decisions until you realize how foolish those proposals are.

Now let's tackle the rest of these where it relates to non-football matters, starting with URI. Look, it would be great to get invited to the Big East, and you can make a solid case that we'd be a good add for them, however there's just one giant problem there. Why would PC give up one of its biggest advantages over us and let us in to the Big East? They wouldn't, so we're stuck in the A10. VCU and Saint Louis both make more sense to join the Big East than us from the perspective of the Big East membership. Richmond would also make more sense if for some crazy reason VCU declined an invite. Loyola faces the same problem we have with joining the Big East, there's already a team in their market that probably wants nothing to do with sharing their market with a second Big East team. As for UMass, why would they jump all the way up to the Big 12 when they couldn't even get the American to sniff them in all the moves that happened last summer? Speaking of the American, I didn't dismiss the possibilities you mentioned out of hand but let's take a look at the future AAC as best we can tell right now:

East Carolina, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulane, Tulsa, Wichita State, UAB, Florida Atlantic, UNC Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, Texas San Antonio.

That is a TERRIBLE basketball conference. The Atlantic 10 is going to be a better basketball conference than that collective in three years time if
we're not poached by the Big East in the meantime, but that also assumes the AAC isn't poached either. Why would A10 schools move to that conference as basketball only members? Hell, we should be making overtures to Wichita State if we haven't been all along.

Hey, it sucks that things are changing and we don't control our own destiny, but it's not so scary if we stop inventing possibilities that will never take place in the real world for lots of logical reasons. All we can do is try to use our voice in the conference to make it better. If we can't force the dregs of the conference out try to get rules instituted where they have to use the money they get from the conference to invest more into their men's basketball program. If we admit members make sure they're ones that add value. We've seen that the A10 can be a good basketball only conference that exists a tier below the Big East, now we need the conference to get back to that place
Thanks to you and mike for injecting some realism into this discussion. This is a media driven world and they will have a big, big say in how this all evolves. Right now it's Fox with the Big Ten and ESPN on the SEC. But those arrangements may or may not be totally exclusive and there are other players stirring the pot like Apple, Amazon, Starz and some of the linear networks like NBC and CBS Sports. It's going to get complicated before it becomes clearer. Some of the media deals may top $1billion.

It's important that we follow this closely because how it shakes out will definitely affect URI. It would be nice if URI got into the Big East, but I agree PC would block that. My only optimism on this score is how the media has influenced college athletics so that branding and pairings have now become more important than market size which was the predicate for the BE formation. So a conference's attribute will not be solely based on the sizes of markets served, but how many brands do you have and how many interesting pairings does that produce. What URI has is a fierce in-state rivalry with PC. PC fans in their smugness don't acknowledge that, but the truth is it is unique in New England. UConn doesn't have that, neither does UMass. URI in the Big East makes more sense if the BE becomes a basketball-centic super conference of 18 or twenty teams. The number of interesting game pairings would significantly increase which is exactly what the media giants will pay for. This not only gets us more TV revenue, it also gets top notch productions, not Flosports. PC fans hate us, UMass fans, VCU fans hate us, Dayton fans hate us. I love hate, it brings notoriety and increases viewership.
Are you sure PC would block it? Archie said there's no better friend in life than Ed Cooley. Also, Cooley cut his teeth at URI. Never say never. Now might be the time.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago I get conference realignment is scary for a lot of people on here because URI has no control over its own fate, but most of these takes are off the wall.

1. Dayton to Big 12?
2. UMass to Big 12?
3. VCU to ACC?
5. Davidson to the ACC

That is a TERRIBLE basketball conference. The Atlantic 10 is going to be a better basketball conference than that collective in three years time if we're not poached by the Big East in the meantime, but that also assumes the AAC isn't poached either. Why would A10 schools move to that conference as basketball only members? Hell, we should be making overtures to Wichita State if we haven't been all along.

You make valid points but I think you’re a bit hung up on me spitballing where teams could go. It’s more to illustrate that there are options for the top third of our league and that the top 2-3 conferences are quickly superseding everything else. That leaves limited options and the remaining leagues will need to think outside of the box to compete…

Let’s be real here, 10 years ago the idea of Creighton being in the Big East was also a crazy preposition. But as the major teams condense upwards, crazy things will continue to happen. Teams ending up in conferences you would never expect is less a surprise than it’s ever been - forgive me for the “out there” nature of how it may be perceived but the reality is the options for them to expand their business model are limited going forward.

I agree that the likely issue with entry to the BE would be PC and recruiting/media competition - but we have come to a time where the opportunity that lies in two games per year, better coverage, and an expansion of the media share/market exposure may be more worthwhile to PC than preventing our entry. It’s strange, for sure, but considering the revolving talent pool that now exists via the transfer portal, recruiting has also morphed significantly. It’s a new age. An alliance, in terms of media expansion, is as lucrative as anything.

Regarding the AAC - I would only see teams leaving the A10 as dual membership. It’s no secret UMass is trying to expand football… they’ve taken games to Gillette, etc, all in an attempt to grow the market. They are now FBS independent. I imagine that is something they would like to find a solution for… and options are limited where they would fit in as full members. That is my mentality of spitballing UMass as a suitor for B12… if UCF can be invited, UMass is not that crazy… Dayton, considering they are FCS is certainly a bit more crazy, but, again, when you see programs like Houston being added, it’s not so crazy to imagine them parlaying their recent NCAA monies into building football to the next level.

Agreed that the A10 can make some moves to save the ship… but the league’s reluctance to squeeze out schools that no longer belong is too big a political hassle in comparison to joining a league more appropriate to the caliber of competition. It really is remarkable how the top 50% of the league, on its own, would make for a fantastic basketball conference.

Maybe the easiest answer is those teams breaking off and scooping up a couple others on the way? Wichita State, as you mention, would be a good target.

All that said, there is no point in fussing on what we “believe” is possible in conference shake up. My posts are less to be viewed as, “hey look I think this is happening,” as much as intended to be viewed as, “hey look, things are changing fast and these previously unreasonable prepositions aren’t that far fetched anymore.”

If I’m being honest, I also knew stretching possibilities would result in some good engagement. Lol
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

As long as Dan Gavitt is alive, URI will not be in the Big East. I'm sure his dad made that very clear before he passed.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Thanks to you and mike for injecting some realism into this discussion. This is a media driven world and they will have a big, big say in how this all evolves. Right now it's Fox with the Big Ten and ESPN on the SEC. But those arrangements may or may not be totally exclusive and there are other players stirring the pot like Apple, Amazon, Starz and some of the linear networks like NBC and CBS Sports. It's going to get complicated before it becomes clearer. Some of the media deals may top $1billion.

It's important that we follow this closely because how it shakes out will definitely affect URI. It would be nice if URI got into the Big East, but I agree PC would block that. My only optimism on this score is how the media has influenced college athletics so that branding and pairings have now become more important than market size which was the predicate for the BE formation. So a conference's attribute will not be solely based on the sizes of markets served, but how many brands do you have and how many interesting pairings does that produce. What URI has is a fierce in-state rivalry with PC. PC fans in their smugness don't acknowledge that, but the truth is it is unique in New England. UConn doesn't have that, neither does UMass. URI in the Big East makes more sense if the BE becomes a basketball-centic super conference of 18 or twenty teams. The number of interesting game pairings would significantly increase which is exactly what the media giants will pay for. This not only gets us more TV revenue, it also gets top notch productions, not Flosports. PC fans hate us, UMass fans, VCU fans hate us, Dayton fans hate us. I love hate, it brings notoriety and increases viewership.
Nailed it again. Almost my exact sentiments about the whole thing. It’s easy to say my take is nuts - but I’d imagine those calling it out as nuts also may still use AOL as their internet provider… :shock: :lol:

Apple and Amazon will be the wildcards in the media space that make things get even crazier, you are right. Apple is already trying to get Sunday Ticket. I would imagine streaking rights for something like March Madness would be very high on the list for them, too…

This is all driven much more by media, growth, and big business than history or whatever traditional lens people are trying to see this through. The old NCAA is dead. This isn’t about pride in your alma mater. It’s about money. I don’t necessarily like it, but that won’t change what it is either.

Your point about being hated is a great one. URI is an interesting team in those regards. Not many teams like to take games with us despite there being a history… and a level of hatred… the reason for that? Media. Losing to us looks bad to those that aren’t in the know. How do you fix that? Get in the fucking know for once! How do we do that? Get into a better league.

Easier said than done but it appears the bricks are already being laid with the Archie hire. I trust this is known and being worked on. I suspect we may ultimately surprise some people in the end…
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago As long as Dan Gavitt is alive, URI will not be in the Big East. I'm sure his dad made that very clear before he passed.
78, I think the BE as whole (AD's and Val Ackerman) have no interest in adding URI in the near future.
We just to don't move the needle enough to make it worth their while.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Unless a school has an established 1-A football program, the Cartel won't be interested. UMass is the only A-10 school that could make that claim, but the Cartel would just laugh its ass off at that.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If it's all about media money, the two teams to the BE would be Dayton and URI. Built in rivalries and sold out arenas.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago 78, I think the BE as whole (AD's and Val Ackerman) have no interest in adding URI in the near future.
We just to don't move the needle enough to make it worth their while.
Bingo.
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago Unless a school has an established 1-A football program, the Cartel won't be interested. UMass is the only A-10 school that could make that claim, but the Cartel would just laugh its ass off at that.
Haha true but they also want a chance for piece of that sweet, sweet, New England Patriots market. $$$$$$$
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago If it's all about media money, the two teams to the BE would be Dayton and URI. Built in rivalries and sold out arenas.
And VCU or SLU. Which would make a 14-team league. This seems very reasonable, actually… *shrug*
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The 1st big battle is for positioning for FBS Football at the P5 Level
This is where the big time money is.
NCAA doesn’t even control or run the FBS 4 Team Playoff. The FBS Conferences do. The FBS is calling the shots with the Big Media

Big Winners to date have been Brigham Young, Cincinnati, Central Florida and Houston as they all moved up to P5 Status when Oklahoma and Texas announced moving. This added 4 P5 schools to the total of P5’s - huge for these schools.

Now schools like Memphis, Boise State, San Diego State, Norte Dame, Georgia State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Texas San Antonio, Fresno State, Coastal Carolina, Alabama Birmingham, SMU, Tulsa, Western Kentucky, Nevada, Western Michigan, Northern Illinois…..
And more are all looking at how to best crack into the elite P5 level conferences - just like UCF, BYU Cincinnati and Houston recently did. That’s the big time.

Then there are the Schools that are Basketball Centered - no football at all

Then schools Basketball Centered but with FCS or low level FBS Football.

Long term I’d guess teams will go with similar schools in Basketball AND Football. Some Current Conferences could disintegrate like the old Southwest Conference did. Would be nice to see URI in the same conference for Football, Basketball and all other sports. The A10 is good for URI now, but if SLU, Dayton, VCU, Richmond depart then URI would be searching better opportunities.

Would love to see URI playing in a conference that emphasizes good basketball, soccer, baseball, softball, etc plus good FCS Football. Big changes at P5 FBS will have a ripple effect down through all 350 D1 schools.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago If it's all about media money, the two teams to the BE would be Dayton and URI. Built in rivalries and sold out arenas.
Ummm, they wouldn't be the teams. St. Louis is the logical fit. Major media market. Legit arena. Major investment in the program. Can do bus trips (for hoops and Olympic sports) to DePaul, Creighton, Marquette, Butler, Xavier.

They don't need Dayton as they have Xavier in the southwest Ohio/Cincy market already. (But Dayton would be next on the list.)

URI will not be invited to the Big East. PC covers the market. No A10 team is going to the ACC nor Big 12. Those leagues need to strengthen their football to survive. Move on folks, there's no story here.

Not sure when but the Big Ten would likely want to add (in no particular order): Stanford, Cal, ND, Oregon, Washington, UNC. All have the academics and national standing in athletics to fit into the Big Ten.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago Unless a school has an established 1-A football program, the Cartel won't be interested. UMass is the only A-10 school that could make that claim, but the Cartel would just laugh its ass off at that.
If by cartel, you mean the P2 that is coming out of this then yes. No matter what happens though, there will be a third league that has a lot of weak football programs but will likely include some good basketball schools - looking at the ACC if they lose Miami, FSU and Clemson as some think is likely. At that point the ACC needs to add a lot. WVU is a clear choice along with UConn and Memphis. After that? Looking at a lot of junk programs that do not provide much. If I am the ACC I look to dominate the East Coast market from Carolina up, build in more local rivalries to get fans juiced up on a more regional level.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago If by cartel, you mean the P2 that is coming out of this then yes. No matter what happens though, there will be a third league that has a lot of weak football programs but will likely include some good basketball schools - looking at the ACC if they lose Miami, FSU and Clemson as some think is likely. At that point the ACC needs to add a lot. WVU is a clear choice along with UConn and Memphis. After that? Looking at a lot of junk programs that do not provide much. If I am the ACC I look to dominate the East Coast market from Carolina up, build in more local rivalries to get fans juiced up on a more regional level.
This is true. Ultimately, I really do think it’s possible that a new league spawns out of the remainder of the PAC12/ACC that snipes a couple of programs out of the American.

There are a lot of possibilities moving forward. The people being so dismissive make me laugh - those are generally the people that will also be the first to raise hell when we are outside looking in after the cards fall in major NCAA developments.

Realistically, it’s all hypothetical until the B12 is done getting what they want from the PAC12 and if the SEC has any success pilfering the ACC. If those two things happen, literally anything is fair game.
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Big Winners to date have been Brigham Young, Cincinnati, Central Florida and Houston as they all moved up to P5 Status when Oklahoma and Texas announced moving. This added 4 P5 schools to the total of P5’s - huge for these schools.

Now schools like Memphis, Boise State, San Diego State, Norte Dame, Georgia State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Texas San Antonio, Fresno State, Coastal Carolina, Alabama Birmingham, SMU, Tulsa, Western Kentucky, Nevada, Western Michigan, Northern Illinois…..
And more are all looking at how to best crack into the elite P5 level conferences - just like UCF, BYU Cincinnati and Houston recently did. That’s the big time.
Everything you said in this portion is what I am driving at, sans ND. ND doesn’t need to crack into the P5, they are letting everything settle and can essentially pick where they want to be… they are a huge part to the big puzzle, the revenue they drive, all leagues would figure out a way to take them.

But UCF and Houston going P5? That is, to me, orders of magnitude crazier than thinking URI could get into the BE.

You are also correct about the rest of those schools mentioned… and when you look at that list, tossing UMass and Dayton into the mix doesn’t seem quite as crazy as when I first pitched the possibility…

Now if you were a media company attempting to continue growth on a national level, what is a more appealing program to invest in… Western Michigan or UMass? Coastal Carolina or Dayton? Lol *shrug*
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Just read a piece that the ACC and Pac12 are looking towards making a joint conference title game - which is the first piece of information that actually makes sense. The conferences would not need to add crappy schools just for their football and could then supplement other sports with non-football schools that appeal better at non-football revenue sports (i.e. basketball). A return to the old big east model - which by the way was very effective until the remaining football schools had to ruin it by making Conference USA 2.0.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Huh?

Dayton averages in excess of 13,000 selling out virtually every seat for every game year after year. URI has averaged about 5,100 in the 7,657 seat Ryan Center in the two decades it has been open. It has only twice averaged a bit over 6,000 in that period. Several other A-10 programs besides Dayton also regularly exceed the attendance of URI. VCU has for years nearly sold out every game in its 7,637 capacity Siegel Center. SLU has had higher average attendance at its 10,000 seat on campus arena since it opened. URI's best ranking in the A-10 for attendance in recent years was 4th. It typically as of late competes with and swaps places with Richmond for the 4th and 5th spots.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago
Ummm, they wouldn't be the teams. St. Louis is the logical fit. Major media market. Legit arena. Major investment in the program. Can do bus trips (for hoops and Olympic sports) to DePaul, Creighton, Marquette, Butler, Xavier.

They don't need Dayton as they have Xavier in the southwest Ohio/Cincy market already. (But Dayton would be next on the list.)

URI will not be invited to the Big East. PC covers the market. No A10 team is going to the ACC nor Big 12. Those leagues need to strengthen their football to survive. Move on folks, there's no story here.

Not sure when but the Big Ten would likely want to add (in no particular order): Stanford, Cal, ND, Oregon, Washington, UNC. All have the academics and national standing in athletics to fit into the Big Ten.
Media giants are going to have enormous influence on the P2/P5 transition and this will trickle down to a lesser extent on the basketball-centric conferences of which the BE is the major domo and well behind is the A-10. The prevailing opinion for some time has been that while markets are important, "branding" and the rivalries associated with them are more powerful because of their appeal trans markets. This explains why USC/UCLA, two schools that share a market, made a combined effort to leave the PAC12 for the B10 and is why a few sentiments expressed in playmike's post are somewhat off the mark.

In comparing this to PC/URI, the big difference is USC/UCLA are in the same conference and, while rivals, considered themselves peers whereas URI and PC are in different leagues and no such relationship exists between them. So while the Big East may have been formed based on markets which kept URI out of it, today what keeps URI out is the PC attitude that URI should not even exist (BTW, that sentiment is a direct quote from a URI official, granted it was from years ago). And you see that all the time coming from the PC community. For example their board endlessly debates whether URI is a rival at all, with the majority dismissing the idea. This explains why PC and URI never combined efforts to promote their rivalry game each year to the media. As a observer once said - "the biggest rivalry game that no one knows about". In a "branding" media world you should be touting the game from the highest rafters, yet what PC and its fans do is the exact opposite.

Here's my point in all this - the first ripple effects of the P2/P5 transition will have a negative impact on URI because the A-10 will lose its strongest teams. Exactly how many teams leave will indicate whether the A-10 morphs into a glorified MAAC. URI's realignment options are limited, but in my view it involves: 1) the merger of the best remnants of the A-10 with the best remnants of other basketball leagues or 2) a very large expansion of the Big East driven by a media giant driving the importance of branding and rivalries. Fox is doing exactly that in the Big Ten move. Will they do that in the Big East?

I love the speculation on the P2/P5 transition, but what happens to URI is more important as is the need for this fan base to pressure URI Athletics admin to start thinking about possible next moves now. We can make a difference and have an influence!
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Media giants are going to have enormous influence on the P2/P5 transition and this will trickle down to a lesser extent on the basketball-centric conferences of which the BE is the major domo and well behind is the A-10. The prevailing opinion for some time has been that while markets are important, "branding" and the rivalries associated with them are more powerful because of their appeal trans markets. This explains why USC/UCLA, two schools that share a market, made a combined effort to leave the PAC12 for the B10 and is why a few sentiments expressed in playmike's post are somewhat off the mark.

In comparing this to PC/URI, the big difference is USC/UCLA are in the same conference and, while rivals, considered themselves peers whereas URI and PC are in different leagues and no such relationship exists between them. So while the Big East may have been formed based on markets which kept URI out of it, today what keeps URI out is the PC attitude that URI should not even exist (BTW, that sentiment is a direct quote from a URI official, granted it was from years ago). And you see that all the time coming from the PC community. For example their board endlessly debates whether URI is a rival at all, with the majority dismissing the idea. This explains why PC and URI never combined efforts to promote their rivalry game each year to the media. As a observer once said - "the biggest rivalry game that no one knows about". In a "branding" media world you should be touting the game from the highest rafters, yet what PC and its fans do is the exact opposite.

Here's my point in all this - the first ripple effects of the P2/P5 transition will have a negative impact on URI because the A-10 will lose its strongest teams. Exactly how many teams leave will indicate whether the A-10 morphs into a glorified MAAC. URI's realignment options are limited, but in my view it involves: 1) the merger of the best remnants of the A-10 with the best remnants of other basketball leagues or 2) a very large expansion of the Big East driven by a media giant driving the importance of branding and rivalries. Fox is doing exactly that in the Big Ten move. Will they do that in the Big East?

I love the speculation on the P2/P5 transition, but what happens to URI is more important as is the need for this fan base to pressure URI Athletics admin to start thinking about possible next moves now. We can make a difference and have an influence!
Nailed it again. Particularly the last paragraph.

Some combination of scenarios will eventually play out… and we don’t want to be the losers here as it cascades down. Upward conference mobility is possible but requires the dedication to make it happen on the part of the school administration… and that seems to currently be there for the first time in a while.

Frankly, our fans/boosters/donors need to figure out what they want. Do we want to dismiss very real opportunities as “unrealistic” or do we want to step up to the plate for once? Complaining after URI misses opportunities or whining about the A10 sucking is a broken record and getting pretty old. Fixing that is something that will require being proactive on the part of fans to make happen. We need the administration to fight the A10 to demand more of the bottom feeders in the conference… or start looking elsewhere.

You are also right about the PC approach towards URI in a lot of respects… but you have to realize that is, in part, due to the shit show URI basketball has been at times in the last two decades. The Baron era hurt us badly. Just gave ammunition to those arguments.

That said, PC’s board and their fans can say whatever they want. But there is only one home game they have that sells out the dunk consistently. There is only one away game that the entire administration and that same board attend every time. In the end, influential local players on both sides may THINK they move the needle… but bigger fish are calling.

Those bigger fish are the media companies. A board member at ESPN or Fox generally doesn’t care what a board member at PC says, that’s just the reality. And a board member at Apple or Amazon DEFINITELY doesn’t care. They are going to pursue what they think is most profitable and leave smaller players little room for negotiation. Like it or not PC, to them, that’s both of us.

This is why an alliance of sorts between URI and PC is actually more beneficial than anything at this point… as a more united market, as a pairing a-la USC and UCLA, you offer a much more compelling argument to have a little more pull with those media giants. PC may feel high and mighty but they have very little influence, as well, in the grander scheme of NCAA sports. And the consolidation happening will just exacerbate that. PC and URI actually stand with more leverage together than without each other… just hoping that is recognized and actually used to both schools’ benefit.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

the_one_mike wrote: 1 year ago
Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Media giants are going to have enormous influence on the P2/P5 transition and this will trickle down to a lesser extent on the basketball-centric conferences of which the BE is the major domo and well behind is the A-10. The prevailing opinion for some time has been that while markets are important, "branding" and the rivalries associated with them are more powerful because of their appeal trans markets. This explains why USC/UCLA, two schools that share a market, made a combined effort to leave the PAC12 for the B10 and is why a few sentiments expressed in playmike's post are somewhat off the mark.

Nailed it again. Particularly the last paragraph.

Some combination of scenarios will eventually play out… and we don’t want to be the losers here as it cascades down. Upward conference mobility is possible but requires the dedication to make it happen on the part of the school administration… and that seems to currently be there for the first time in a while.

Frankly, our fans/boosters/donors need to figure out what they want. Do we want to dismiss very real opportunities as “unrealistic” or do we want to step up to the plate for once? Complaining after URI misses opportunities or whining about the A10 sucking is a broken record and getting pretty old. Fixing that is something that will require being proactive on the part of fans to make happen. We need the administration to fight the A10 to demand more of the bottom feeders in the conference… or start looking elsewhere.

You are also right about the PC approach towards URI in a lot of respects… but you have to realize that is, in part, due to the shit show URI basketball has been at times in the last two decades. The Baron era hurt us badly. Just gave ammunition to those arguments.

That said, PC’s board and their fans can say whatever they want. But there is only one home game they have that sells out the dunk consistently. There is only one away game that the entire administration and that same board attend every time. In the end, influential local players on both sides may THINK they move the needle… but bigger fish are calling.

Those bigger fish are the media companies. A board member at ESPN or Fox generally doesn’t care what a board member at PC says, that’s just the reality. And a board member at Apple or Amazon DEFINITELY doesn’t care. They are going to pursue what they think is most profitable and leave smaller players little room for negotiation. Like it or not PC, to them, that’s both of us.

This is why an alliance of sorts between URI and PC is actually more beneficial than anything at this point… as a more united market, as a pairing a-la USC and UCLA, you offer a much more compelling argument to have a little more pull with those media giants. PC may feel high and mighty but they have very little influence, as well, in the grander scheme of NCAA sports. And the consolidation happening will just exacerbate that. PC and URI actually stand with more leverage together than without each other… just hoping that is recognized and actually used to both schools’ benefit.
I am not sure what you think URI can do at this point.

I feel Bernadette McGlade has done a great job as A10 commissioner.
She is extremely well respected in the NCAA community.

I think there is much more involved than just a few administrators demanding that some of the league's bottom feeders be tossed out.

Also bringing in Loyola/Chicago was a big step in a positive direction.
I don't think it will end there.

Let's see what the fall-out is from all this conference realignment, before we let our emotions get the best of us.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

I think there is much more involved than just a few administrators demanding that some of the league's bottom feeders be tossed out.

Let's see what the fall-out is from all this conference realignment, before we let our emotions get the best of us.
What URI can do in prep is to start extensive networking with like minded schools in similar conferences, maybe approach the issue with a similar thinking A-10 partner. UMass comes to mind except their football aspirations likely nix that idea. This has nothing to do with McGlade or with her performance, but you can't work deeply with her because the major options going forward are the creation of a new conference or a major expansion of the Big East, by the addition of eight teams. You keep posted with McGlade, but the main effort is a school to school approach. UCLA/USC certainly didn't work with the PAC 12 commissioner, George Kliavkoff, as they mulled their move to the B10.

Yes, you are correct we have to see how this all falls out, but that shouldn't stop progressive AD's with good contacts to get a head start.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

What URI can do in prep is to start extensive networking with like minded schools in similar conferences, maybe approach the issue with a similar thinking A-10 partner. UMass comes to mind except their football aspirations likely nix that idea. This has nothing to do with McGlade or with her performance, but you can't work deeply with her because the major options going forward are the creation of a new conference or a major expansion of the Big East, by the addition of eight teams. You keep posted with McGlade, but the main effort is a school to school approach. UCLA/USC certainly didn't work with the PAC 12 commissioner, George Kliavkoff, as they mulled their move to the B10.

Yes, you are correct we have to see how this all falls out, but that shouldn't stop progressive AD's with good contacts to get a head start.
At this point doubt any of the BE schools would have any interest, why would they?
They are already calling the shots (basketball), have a huge media following and influx of $.
It recently cost UConn $17M to leave the AAC, hate to see the penalty for leaving the BE and for what?

Sorry but don't see this happening. at least at this time.

Also what other conferences that are non-football do you have in mind that they can poach?

Your USC/UCLA is a bad comparison, talking about moving from the Pac-12 to the B10.
That was football motivated (LA market) and the B10 is extremely wealthy.

As for the BE adding 8 more teams, again why would they?
They don't have the huge football $ revenue as the P5 schools.
Not sure they would want to split their $ 8 more times, unless those schools will really move the needle for them.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

At this point doubt any of the BE schools would have any interest, why would they?
They are already calling the shots (basketball), have a huge media following and influx of $.
It recently cost UConn $17M to leave the AAC, hate to see the penalty for leaving the BE and for what?

Also what other conferences that are non-football do you have in mind that they can poach?

Your USC/UCLA is a bad comparison, talking about moving from the Pac-12 to the B10.

Not sure they would want to split their $ 8 more times, unless those schools will really move the needle for them.
What happens when the P2 conferences take there ball and say we are having our own basketball tournament? BE is basketball only. They have no say in what the FB conference do.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

What happens when the P2 conferences take there ball and say we are having our own basketball tournament? BE is basketball only. They have no say in what the FB conference do.
I guess we will cross that bridge when and if it happens.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think the country would have an uprising if that happened.
2 x
GO RAMS
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I am not sure what you think URI can do at this point.

I don’t think “tossing out” teams from the league is the move as much as expecting or mandating a certain standard of investment and resulting performance from the programs within the A10. They can toss themselves out!

The teams with the high school gyms need to get in the 21st century. Fordham, for instance, has a massive endowment yet tries to stand behind “history” as the reason for continuing to play home games in that dump. Give me a break. The reality is Fordham and it’s alumni have had little to no interest in athletics for several decades. They need pressure applied or to look elsewhere for likeminded schools. Fordham is better paired with Bryant than URI nowadays. Hell, Bryant will have a better home facility than them soon!!!!! Like wtf!?!

What URI can do is lobby the league along with the stronger members to get the bottom to ship up before we start looking elsewhere to ship out. I don’t think a lot of our fans realize the leverage URI has in those regards… the A10 would be weakened significantly if URI or any of the other top 6-8 teams in the league looked elsewhere. And if there were a time to do that, it’s now.

Never before in NCAA history has there been a window of opportunity where conferences have shaken up this much in a decade… and there’s still a lot more to go before things finally “settle in.” That’s if they even ever do! This could just be the first chapter in a new era where teams move through conferences with some degree of regularity… think almost like the British Premier League, but contractually more than officially.

My reasoning to think that? The bottom feeder teams in conferences, under virtually all new metrics used by the media (at least in MBB), stand to lose more for their respective conference than is gained by having a handful of high performers. A couple of “bad” losses to a Q3/4 teams in conference can make the difference between the best programs ending as a Q1/2 team. We see this EVERY YEAR with at least one or two teams in the A10, ultimately changing the outlook for at large bids. Best solution for that? Higher standards for the bottom of the conference.

Point being, I think the approach a lot of people have to this needs to be reframed almost entirely. Things are changing rapidly in the NCAA and, quite frankly, we don’t have the resources to keep up with the big boys in the arms race. Bold decisions need to made and we need to try and get to the spot early in anticipation of where it’s going… chasing the scraps will not yield great results.
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago What happens when the P2 conferences take there ball and say we are having our own basketball tournament? BE is basketball only. They have no say in what the FB conference do.
This is what the big conferences are driving at for football, ultimately. Nobody likes bowls because the whole selection and sponsorship system is corrupt, right?

How do you fix that while still keeping the same pool of teams in the big games every year? Break that pool of teams off in an exclusive playoff structure that guarantees the same teams the same big games… and create the illusion it is now fair because no committee chooses the bowls. Ah, classic!

That said, the anonymity and unpredictable nature of the March Madness is a majority of its allure in the media. They sell upsets as a major marketing tool. I don’t think they would go that far on the basketball end as it ultimately does not behoove them to do so. A majority of big MBB revenue is generated around the tournament so I would imagine anything that upsets that structure would be frowned upon by big daddy media corp.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Ask Jay Bilass what his thoughts are on the NCAAT
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I am not sure what you think URI can do at this point.

I don’t think “tossing out” teams from the league is the move as much as expecting or mandating a certain standard of investment and resulting performance from the programs within the A10. They can toss themselves out!

The teams with the high school gyms need to get in the 21st century. Fordham, for instance, has a massive endowment yet tries to stand behind “history” as the reason for continuing to play home games in that dump. Give me a break. The reality is Fordham and it’s alumni have had little to no interest in athletics for several decades. They need pressure applied or to look elsewhere for likeminded schools. Fordham is better paired with Bryant than URI nowadays. Hell, Bryant will have a better home facility than them soon!!!!! Like wtf!?!

What URI can do is lobby the league along with the stronger members to get the bottom to ship up before we start looking elsewhere to ship out. I don’t think a lot of our fans realize the leverage URI has in those regards… the A10 would be weakened significantly if URI or any of the other top 6-8 teams in the league looked elsewhere. And if there were a time to do that, it’s now.

Never before in NCAA history has there been a window of opportunity where conferences have shaken up this much in a decade… and there’s still a lot more to go before things finally “settle in.” That’s if they even ever do! This could just be the first chapter in a new era where teams move through conferences with some degree of regularity… think almost like the British Premier League, but contractually more than officially.

My reasoning to think that? The bottom feeder teams in conferences, under virtually all new metrics used by the media (at least in MBB), stand to lose more for their respective conference than is gained by having a handful of high performers. A couple of “bad” losses to a Q3/4 teams in conference can make the difference between the best programs ending as a Q1/2 team. We see this EVERY YEAR with at least one or two teams in the A10, ultimately changing the outlook for at large bids. Best solution for that? Higher standards for the bottom of the conference.

Point being, I think the approach a lot of people have to this needs to be reframed almost entirely. Things are changing rapidly in the NCAA and, quite frankly, we don’t have the resources to keep up with the big boys in the arms race. Bold decisions need to made and we need to try and get to the spot early in anticipation of where it’s going… chasing the scraps will not yield great results.
Again, basically a diplomatic approach to tossing them out.

Still, I don't see that happening.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Fordham had a better conference recorded then URI last year
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

And if that’s the case, we need to seek what is best for the future of the program. What can’t keep happening is the woe is me “this won’t happen” or “that’s not possible” mentality. That certainly won’t be the way position ourselves for the future. Complacency in pretending we don’t have a say in our destiny is a fallacy.
rjv wrote: 1 year ago Fordham had a better conference recorded then URI last year
Your point?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

And if that’s the case, we need to seek what is best for the future of the program. What can’t keep happening is the woe is me “this won’t happen” or “that’s not possible” mentality. That certainly won’t be the way position ourselves for the future. Complacency in pretending we don’t have a say in our destiny is a fallacy.
rjv wrote: 1 year ago Fordham had a better conference recorded then URI last year
Your point?
I didn't realize this but not surprised.

The Rose Hill Gym "remains the oldest regularly-used NCAA Division I gym in the country."
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=28303482 ... vbi8&ntb=1
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

tossing teams out for not performing....No the answer.

Georgetown could not win a game last year in the BE but gave the coach an extension. Conference needs to build on current teams not toss them out
IMO
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Your point?
I didn't realize this but not surprised.

The Rose Hill Gym "remains the oldest regularly-used NCAA Division I gym in the country."
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=28303482 ... vbi8&ntb=1
And they peddle “history” as the reason for retaining it. Sorry, Fordham, but that only works when people actually like the place. Ya know, like Fenway or Wrigley….

Shit is a joke. And, so is the idea of “build on them” IMO. Happy to do that if and when a standard of “building” has been established for the Fordhams, St. Joe’s, and Duquesnes of the world.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Yes, and it was still their 15th year in a row finishing under .500 in conference play. Also, their coach left for Villanova, which is an understandable opportunity that he needed to take, but it makes me pessimistic that they'll avoid year 16 under .500.
4 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Yes, and it was still their 15th year in a row finishing under .500 in conference play. Also, their coach left for Villanova, which is an understandable opportunity that he needed to take, but it makes me pessimistic that they'll avoid year 16 under .500.
And there are absolutely no signs of life in response. Why? Because there is no accountability for the lack of it.

At least Duquesne is trying. The A10 is just too much for them to do anything significant enough to move the needle until there is a bigger commitment.

The top half of this league has outgrown the bottom half. I’m not sure why our fans make excuses for that. We need to find solutions…
2 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

The Fordham coach going back to Villanova says a lot about where the Fordham program was heading.....Yes under .500 in conf but .500 overall and won a conf tournament game. That is a big step and hopefully it will continue as with the other program to help make the A10 strong.

There are a lot of new good coaches in the A10 and if they follow the BE process and land a nice media contract and bring some big money into each program and get more then 1 team in the tournament things will change
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 1 year ago The Fordham coach going back to Villanova says a lot about where the Fordham program was heading.....Yes under .500 in conf but .500 overall and won a conf tournament game. That is a big step and hopefully it will continue as with the other program to help make the A10 strong.

There are a lot of new good coaches in the A10 and if they follow the BE process and land a nice media contract and bring some big money into each program and get more then 1 team in the tournament things will change
Are you actually saying you think Fordham will become relevant?
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

No, it's not. It's laughable to think that the board of Fox, in preparing to offer a bigger TV rights deal is thinking, "You know what we really need? PC vs URI in the same conference." Those decisions are going to be built off of primarily two things... 1) Program Success and 2) TV Market. Networks aren't going to get horny to add a second team from a 50+ unless they can offer some elite branding, such as a Gonzaga type program. It's not just about one/two games (PC/URI), but what that team brings to the table against all opponents. So yes, maybe if Archie turns URI into a consistent second weekend team, maybe and only then will there be the slightest of chances at the powers at be even thinking about raising their name as a candidate to join the conference.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Fordham could be relevant in the A10

URI will never be in the BE. It will not happen
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago

No, it's not. It's laughable to think that the board of Fox, in preparing to offer a bigger TV rights deal is thinking, "You know what we really need? PC vs URI in the same conference." Those decisions are going to be built off of primarily two things... 1) Program Success and 2) TV Market. Networks aren't going to get horny to add a second team from a 50+ unless they can offer some elite branding, such as a Gonzaga type program. It's not just about one/two games (PC/URI), but what that team brings to the table against all opponents. So yes, maybe if Archie turns URI into a consistent second weekend team, maybe and only then will there be the slightest of chances at the powers at be even thinking about raising their name as a candidate to join the conference.
Consistent second weekend team? GTFOH. pc finally made the second weekend after 26 years. Must be smoking some good dope.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I didn't realize this but not surprised.

It actually isn't per the language of above.

Matthews Arena at Northeastern, home to the Huskies basketball and hockey teams, opened in 1910. It was not originally owned by NU. The Bruins and Celtics played there as did all the local college hockey teams in its early days.

Rose Hill Gym opened up in 1925 on the Fordham campus. It therefore cannot claim to be the oldest regularly used D1 gym. It however may be able to claim the longest continuously used college D1 gym.

Matthews Arena Wiki Page Link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthews_Arena

Rose Hill Gym Wiki Page Link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Hill_Gymnasium
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago No, it's not. It's laughable to think that the board of Fox, in preparing to offer a bigger TV rights deal is thinking, "You know what we really need? PC vs URI in the same conference." Those decisions are going to be built off of primarily two things... 1) Program Success and 2) TV Market. Networks aren't going to get horny to add a second team from a 50+ unless they can offer some elite branding, such as a Gonzaga type program. It's not just about one/two games (PC/URI), but what that team brings to the table against all opponents. So yes, maybe if Archie turns URI into a consistent second weekend team, maybe and only then will there be the slightest of chances at the powers at be even thinking about raising their name as a candidate to join the conference.
Consistent second weekend team? GTFOH. pc finally made the second weekend after 26 years. Must be smoking some good dope.
Yeah, RJ, that take is a bit behind the curve bud. Expanding market base was the primary driving force behind what happened 10 years ago and many leagues learned the hard way that just because you have teams playing somewhere, doesn’t mean people are watching. UConn in the American is a great example of this.

Compelling matchups are equally important in this new round of conference mixup. That is why USC and UCLA were the first to move… A media market is only valuable when people actually watch. URI versus PC or URI versus UConn would draw more viewership than St. John’s versus DePaul. That’s a fact. Not even going to debate it. And those two teams are in 2 of the biggest 3 sports media markets in the country. Market size is just a number if you can’t penetrate it with any success. (Giggity)

URI has a recent win against Creighton in the tournament. And the A10 has eaten the BE’s lunch when given the chance in the last few years. There is a lot less separation here than you seem to believe. Why do you think the big programs are continuing to condense upward? Is it because PC has “elite branding?” Lol.

No, it’s because they see some of what I’m saying here as true, have the resources to get ahead of it… and are.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

PC is already in the Big East. URI isn't. They need an invite. They'll also need enough to help push an objection by PC, and also likely UCONN. Many teams who will draw consistently better across the conference than URI.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PC is already in the Big East. URI isn't. They need an invite. They'll also need enough to help push an objection by PC, and also likely UCONN. Many teams who will draw consistently better across the conference than URI.
Because some asshole refused to invite us 44 years ago, even though we were the better program at the time.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Because some asshole refused to invite us 44 years ago, even though we were the better program at the time.
Fortunately for us, that era is dying. So are the people trying to maintain it, frankly. And that opens the door for sensibility.

Is URI basketball always going to be defined by what happened half a century ago? I hope not.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Because some asshole refused to invite us 44 years ago, even though we were the better program at the time.
Fortunately for us, that era is dying. So are the people trying to maintain it, frankly. And that opens the door for sensibility.

Is URI basketball always going to be defined by what happened half a century ago? I hope not.
I'm just saying, the reason we aren't in the BE is because one chubby asshole despised us.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

I'm just saying, the reason we aren't in the BE is because one chubby asshole despised us.
Oh, I get what you’re saying. My point is that the grip those people have on things is quickly fading away for a variety of reasons. And we can’t let what happened then define URI basketball forever…
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Oh, I get what you’re saying. My point is that the grip those people have on things is quickly fading away for a variety of reasons. And we can’t let what happened then define URI basketball forever…
Dan Gavitt has a lot of power to fulfill his father's wishes.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Who knows what’s going to happen 5-10 years down the line ?? The Big East could expand to like 20 schools for hoops and URI could be a candidate
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

You shouldn't let it define you, but I don't know why it's ridiculous to suggest an occasional tournament contender out of a mediocre TV market without significant national appeal wouldn't be near the top of the list for BE expansion, not accounting for likely program blocks along the way. For expansion they are going to look at what helps the most with national appeal/perception.
2 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

You shouldn't let it define you, but I don't know why it's ridiculous to suggest an occasional tournament contender out of a mediocre TV market without significant national appeal wouldn't be near the top of the list for BE expansion, not accounting for likely program blocks along the way. For expansion they are going to look at what helps the most with national appeal/perception.
You’re talking about PC, right?
0 x