'20 France PF - Alex Tchikou (Alabama ---> URI ---> Detroit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: '20 France PF - Alex Tchikou (Alabama ---> URI)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago FWIW, I think plenty of teams now post rosters with nobody listed as a center. I don't really think it matters. I'd also note that he's on record as being healthy his second year, so I don't think he would be pursuing a medical redshirt. He's 20 right now and will turn 21 in February 2023. Plenty of players don't want to be playing college basketball until they're 24. If he's as productive as we want him to be, he's going to be a viable pro before then.

Yeah, I agree that chances are he wouldn't stick around for his 6th year.

But still, him tweeting out he was healthy in 21-22 doesn't necessarily make him ineligible for getting a med RS if he decides to pursue it.

Besides the NCAA has been very lenient in handing out med RS especially in the case of a player coming off a very serious injury such as a ruptured Achilles.

Also the NCAA is considering changing the guidelines in basketball to match football where they can play up to so many games and still keep their RS status.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago

Irrelevant. Players are assigned positions by coaches as 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 now. (The labeling of guard, forward, center is simply for media guides and fans. You don't hear the PA announcer says "starting at the stretch 4...")

For example, Stan Robinson often played the 4. However, he was not a power forward. Roland Fiore played the "4" and at 6'4" was a power forward.

I don't think Archie brought this Alex kid in to play the 2 or the 3. At 6'11", he better not be allergic to the glass, physical big men, and the low block.
I mean, when you say he's a 5 because he's 6'11 I think it's relevant that Ramster pointed out that he's listed as a forward on his team page.

No one is saying players can't play out of position. They can. Stan Robinson is not a 4, but he played it because we went small. Look at how are roster was listed last year. Twins are listed as Centers. Walker is a forward... Walker can play the 5, but he's a forward.

I don't think anyone thinks Archie brought this kid in to be a 2 guard.. I think Archie brought him in because he is a versatile player who can likely play and defend multiple positions. We all want him to rebound but it seems as if you want to stick this kid in the low post just because he's 6'11. From everything I've read, he can play inside and out, and his NBA comparisons are Siakam and Durant. I don't think he will be this traditional center that you want him to be, but we shall see.
So PMMM, when URI updated the roster sounds like you are saying Archie will list him C - Center. Will be interesting to see the designation.

That would give URI 2 “designated” Centers on the Roster

https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketb ... ath=mbball
I would be extremely surprised if he isn't listed as a forward, not that it makes any difference.

Look Bilau is listed as a forward and he is much more of a post-up/back to the basket player
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Alex Tchikou , (Alabama >>>URI)

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Gonebarongone wrote: 1 year ago

4 years. Gets an additional year for Covid 20-21. In 21-22 only played in 3 games, should get a med RS.
I think he has four years to play three. Unless it was an injury that ended his season after 3 games last year. But,that doesn't sound like what happened. Then again, the NCAA doesn't exactly stay consistent with anything. You almost have to disregard the 19-20 year. The fact that he was injured then doesn't matter. He could have played 30 games. It's like he was a frosh last year and played 3 games.
No, he should get a waiver for last season.
He still was coming off a major injury and only played 3 games.
As others have mentioned, four years is unlikely if he is productive anyway. Honestly getting four years from any single player who joins a team these days in any fashion is like a one in five shot. But, coming off a major injury doesn't mean anything when it comes to this stuff. It has to be documented that he had the complete inability to play the rest of the season. Doesn't seem like the case here.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I agree. It doesn’t matter what he’s listed as. My only point is I don’t think he’s a traditional center. I think he will be more of an Odom or KI for us which gets me very excited. Having a kid his size that can stretch the floor and handle the rock is rare for our team. Do I want him to be able to rebound? Yes. Do I want him to be able to defend? Yes. Do I want him to be tough? 100%.

Suppose this kid can add a strong post game that’s only going to help us. Right now he looks like he’s more of a perimeter wing/forward. We’ll see what happens.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I agree. It doesn’t matter what he’s listed as. My only point is I don’t think he’s a traditional center. I think he will be more of an Odom or KI for us which gets me very excited. Having a kid his size that can stretch the floor and handle the rock is rare for our team. Do I want him to be able to rebound? Yes. Do I want him to be able to defend? Yes. Do I want him to be tough? 100%.

Suppose this kid can add a strong post game that’s only going to help us. Right now he looks like he’s more of a perimeter wing/forward. We’ll see what happens.
You're the one who labeled him a forward. So clearly it mattered to you.

I don't think anybody posted that they think he's traditional center.

I think fans want a kid with a 6'11", muscular frame to be a willing and able rebounder, defender, and use his size to his advantage wherever he plays on the court...and not to relegate himself to the perimeter because he thinks he's the 2nd coming of Kevin Durant.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I agree. It doesn't matter what he's listed as. My only point is I don't think he's a traditional center. I think he will be more of an Odom or KI for us which gets me very excited. Having a kid his size that can stretch the floor and handle the rock is rare for our team. Do I want him to be able to rebound? Yes. Do I want him to be able to defend? Yes. Do I want him to be tough? 100%.

Suppose this kid can add a strong post game that's only going to help us. Right now he looks like he's more of a perimeter wing/forward. We'll see what happens.

I think fans want a kid with a 6'11", muscular frame to be a willing and able rebounder, defender, and use his size to his advantage wherever he plays on the court...and not to relegate himself to the perimeter because he thinks he's the 2nd coming of Kevin Durant.

Ya I'm the one....Not the former team that listed him as a forward. Or the articles where his coaches discuss his game. Or the game tape. It was only me...

The funny thing is you're describing what you want him to be, but you're ignoring what type of player he is right now.

Once again, I'm all for the kid rebounding and defending. I initially responded to your post where you made it out to be negative that he has a perimeter game and should be rebounding in the post. I think having bigs that have range is critical in this day and age.

I'm done talking in circles with you. Let's see what type of player he is once he's on the floor.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think the fans from Alabama were being nice, or at least polite.

There wasn't a single thing in either of those highlight videos that was even remotely Power Forward looking.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

I mean, when you say he's a 5 because he's 6'11 I think it's relevant that Ramster pointed out that he's listed as a forward on his team page.

No one is saying players can't play out of position. They can. Stan Robinson is not a 4, but he played it because we went small. Look at how are roster was listed last year. Twins are listed as Centers. Walker is a forward... Walker can play the 5, but he's a forward.

I don't think anyone thinks Archie brought this kid in to be a 2 guard.. I think Archie brought him in because he is a versatile player who can likely play and defend multiple positions. We all want him to rebound but it seems as if you want to stick this kid in the low post just because he's 6'11. From everything I've read, he can play inside and out, and his NBA comparisons are Siakam and Durant. I don't think he will be this traditional center that you want him to be, but we shall see.
So PMMM, when URI updated the roster sounds like you are saying Archie will list him C - Center. Will be interesting to see the designation.

That would give URI 2 “designated” Centers on the Roster

https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketb ... ath=mbball
I would be extremely surprised if he isn't listed as a forward, not that it makes any difference.

Look Bilau is listed as a forward and he is much more of a post-up/back to the basket player
I think Samb is more of a post-up/back to the basket player too.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I think the fans from Alabama were being nice, or at least polite.

There wasn't a single thing in either of those highlight videos that was even remotely Power Forward looking.
How would you describe a stretch 4?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I agree. It doesn’t matter what he’s listed as. My only point is I don’t think he’s a traditional center. I think he will be more of an Odom or KI for us which gets me very excited. Having a kid his size that can stretch the floor and handle the rock is rare for our team. Do I want him to be able to rebound? Yes. Do I want him to be able to defend? Yes. Do I want him to be tough? 100%.

If he rebounds, defends and scores you can call him striker, shortstop or quarterback for all I care.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago How would you describe a stretch 4?
As a 3, masquerading as a 4. But not doing a very good job of it.

If you can't find the paint with a GPS, you ain't no Power Forward. "Power" indicates some sort of desire to bang, preferably face first, with the tall trees. Draw blood. Take the occasional inadvertent elbow. Not hanging around at the 3 point line.

Again, if you want to go to the NBA, learning to be physical in the A-10 Conference, may be a good start. I don't know what these scouts are looking at, but you're going to play against grown men, when you can't be physical with tween agers who are mostly smaller than you?

In the meantime, you're worried about keeping your face pretty, but getting leg ligament tears in the process.

Might have something to do with Oats decision to play other people.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I sense that rebounds are becoming longer due to the prevalence of 3 attempts (and therefore, 3 point misses) and the increase in shooting range by both guards and bigs. If I am correct then I believe with time the game will select for rebounding bigs that are fast, quick footed, can track a long missed shot, are quicker to the ball versus traditional, under the basket rebounding bigs or bangers.

Further, due to the spreading of the court by offenses (and spreading defenses as a result) I think we will continue to see an increase in bigs that play more like guards offensively, can post up if needed, are quick enough to guard multiple positions yet can recover fast to block a shot on a drive in a help defense situation.

I am curious if any others here see this trend or how you see bigs and, in general the game (college and NBA) evolving?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Is this conversation real life right now?

Arguing over what he’s going to be listed as on the website?

Please November get here quick.
3 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Is this conversation real life right now?

Arguing over what he's going to be listed as on the website?

Please November get here quick.

I'm discussing what type of player I think our incoming recruit will be like I do every other recruit we land. You usually have comments like this no matter what month we're in, so I'm sure November won't make any difference.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I sense that rebounds are becoming longer due to the prevalence of 3 attempts (and therefore, 3 point misses) and the increase in shooting range by both guards and bigs. If I am correct then I believe with time the game will select for rebounding bigs that are fast, quick footed, can track a long missed shot, are quicker to the ball versus traditional, under the basket rebounding bigs or bangers.

Further, due to the spreading of the court by offenses (and spreading defenses as a result) I think we will continue to see an increase in bigs that play more like guards offensively, can post up if needed, are quick enough to guard multiple positions yet can recover fast to block a shot on a drive in a help defense situation.

I am curious if any others here see this trend or how you see bigs and, in general the game (college and NBA) evolving?
I totally agree. I miss the old-school centers in the NBA but a lot of teams want 5 guys on the floor that can hit the 3. Look at someone like Gobert. He's playing in the wrong era.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Here, it started with Odom. He was the tallest player on the team but he wanted to take over Josh King's position on the wing.

I suppose, when you are that level talent, and you have a Luther Clay and a ARD willing to be your shields and take all of the abuse down low, you can do things like that. I think people also underestimated the sheer amount of rebounding Josh King provided that Elite 8 team as well. He was a lot like Tyrese Martin and just had a nose for the ball, at least in the post season. Every highlight picture of him in the NCAA tournament was Josh grabbing a rebound in a pile of people.

Everyone wants to play away from the ball these days. I think if Alex wants to make "The League" he better get comfortable with the idea of elbow shots to the face and bloody noses, because if you can't mix it up and take physical contact at the A-10 level, it's only going to be 10x worse at the NBA level.
Not to derail the thread - but ugh. Imagine if Odom were eligible that year? Tyson/Cat/Odom/ARD/Clay...lmao. National championship.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Stevey, I have always had a bit of contrarian in me. If I was a coach today, I maybe would try going the traditional big route offensively to create a mismatch and take advantage of it.

I wonder if there are enough contrarian type coaches out there that may try to swing the pendulum back some from the spread offenses? It appeared DC tried to do it with the Mitchell’s and failed. But, was it the strategy, lack of coaching chops in general with a lack of execution or a combination of both that caused the failure?

I think a good college coach, using that strategy of a traditional big post offense with less reliance on the 3 could do well. May need high level talent to pull it off, though.

I will have to watch next season to see if any coaches are trying to do it.

Sorry for pulling the thread off course. Back to Alex and recruiting.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

A big problem with being a contrarian in the way you are describing is that nobody learns how to be a back-to-the-basket big man. It’s been totally deemphasized at every level of the sport, and it is a definite skill set that needs to developed - it’s not as simple as “just stand on the block with your back to the hoop and then when you get the ball, drop step one way or the other.” Posting is a skill, the footwork required once you have the ball is certainly a skill (maybe one of the hardest to learn), developing a repertoire of moves takes time, and finishing off of those moves is another difficult skill to learn. If a coach wanted to start utilizing a post-up big they have to find a guy willing and able to develop all of that and they’d have to spend time and resources building up that skill set, all for the benefit of being able to run a style of offense that went extinct because other ways of scoring were discovered to be easier and more efficient and made it obsolete.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Some NBA teams - Utah with Gobert and Favors, Indiana with Turner and Sabonis - have tried to play with two "bigs" at once in the past five years, in an attempt to punish teams down low. It doesn't work - Good passing or pick and rolls eat up slower-footed big men, and on the other end, even a 6'6" to 6'8" wing can offer enough token resistance that you're getting a dunk every possession. It might work OK in lower conferences in college - like, we beat the shit out of teams like Bryant down low - but teams with stellar shooting and passing are going to pick you apart. (Not every time, since sometimes shots don't fall, but 6 or 7 times out of 10.)
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago A big problem with being a contrarian in the way you are describing is that nobody learns how to be a back-to-the-basket big man. It’s been totally deemphasized at every level of the sport, and it is a definite skill set that needs to developed - it’s not as simple as “just stand on the block with your back to the hoop and then when you get the ball, drop step one way or the other.” Posting is a skill, the footwork required once you have the ball is certainly a skill (maybe one of the hardest to learn), developing a repertoire of moves takes time, and finishing off of those moves is another difficult skill to learn. If a coach wanted to start utilizing a post-up big they have to find a guy willing and able to develop all of that and they’d have to spend time and resources building up that skill set, all for the benefit of being able to run a style of offense that went extinct because other ways of scoring were discovered to be easier and more efficient and made it obsolete.
TP, I actually value the post play/skills you describe. I grew up in the game that played that style. Would we have Kevin McHale (or other great post players of the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s) if he was coming up though HS/prep school today? I am not so sure and, to me, that was some great basketball (and, I enjoy today’s style of play as well).

To clarify, my coaching contrarian comment was meant to favor a style of play contrary to the spread the floor/3 point dominant offensive style. If enough college coaches played a contrary offensive style (post up focused) rather than spreading the floor with everyone at the 3 line, then maybe that would bring back some big post up skill play eventually? I’d like to see bigs with great post play - as you describe - come back.

As an aside, I like the 3 point shot but, I favor the style of play from the 80’s and 90’s NBA. The game had a balance of great post play and great 3 point shooting. As much as I enjoy today’s game, I think it is too much 3 point shot dominant and that has hurt great post up play, imho.

Hopefully, with time the pendulum will swing back some toward balance.

Great discussion!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Some NBA teams - Utah with Gobert and Favors, Indiana with Turner and Sabonis - have tried to play with two "bigs" at once in the past five years, in an attempt to punish teams down low. It doesn't work - Good passing or pick and rolls eat up slower-footed big men, and on the other end, even a 6'6" to 6'8" wing can offer enough token resistance that you're getting a dunk every possession. It might work OK in lower conferences in college - like, we beat the shit out of teams like Bryant down low - but teams with stellar shooting and passing are going to pick you apart. (Not every time, since sometimes shots don't fall, but 6 or 7 times out of 10.)
Good points, SG. I would get fired pretty quick in today’s NBA with my contrarian style. Unless I could clone say McHale and Kareem and team them with three Curry level 3 point shooters. That maybe could work but my defense would get killed. :D
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago A big problem with being a contrarian in the way you are describing is that nobody learns how to be a back-to-the-basket big man. It’s been totally deemphasized at every level of the sport, and it is a definite skill set that needs to developed - it’s not as simple as “just stand on the block with your back to the hoop and then when you get the ball, drop step one way or the other.” Posting is a skill, the footwork required once you have the ball is certainly a skill (maybe one of the hardest to learn), developing a repertoire of moves takes time, and finishing off of those moves is another difficult skill to learn. If a coach wanted to start utilizing a post-up big they have to find a guy willing and able to develop all of that and they’d have to spend time and resources building up that skill set, all for the benefit of being able to run a style of offense that went extinct because other ways of scoring were discovered to be easier and more efficient and made it obsolete.
TP, I actually value the post play/skills you describe. I grew up in the game that played that style. Would we have Kevin McHale (or other great post players of the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s) if he was coming up though HS/prep school today? I am not so sure and, to me, that was some great basketball (and, I enjoy today’s style of play as well).

To clarify, my coaching contrarian comment was meant to favor a style of play contrary to the spread the floor/3 point dominant offensive style. If enough college coaches played a contrary offensive style (post up focused) rather than spreading the floor with everyone at the 3 line, then maybe that would bring back some big post up skill play eventually? I’d like to see bigs with great post play - as you describe - come back.

As an aside, I like the 3 point shot but, I favor the style of play from the 80’s and 90’s NBA. The game had a balance of great post play and great 3 point shooting. As much as I enjoy today’s game, I think it is too much 3 point shot dominant and that has hurt great post up play, imho.

Great discussion!
I appreciated McHale and Olajuwon as much as anyone and it’s too bad that that type of player really doesn’t exist in high-level basketball anymore, but the evolution of the game doesn’t really have a place for those guys. It’s a self-enforcing cycle, in that as the game has less and less places for even generationally skilled players who play that style, less and less players will develop those skills, which makes it increasingly unlikely that anyone will even attempt to incorporate that type of player into their system. And the real point is that, as aesthetically pleasing and joy-inducing as it would be to see someone break out the McHale or Olajuwon style post moves, it has been proven that there is more efficient ways to score over the course of thousands of possessions so even if you had a guy who for some reason worked really hard at developing that type of game there would still be really no good reason to deploy it.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago

Great discussion!
I appreciated McHale and Olajuwon as much as anyone and it’s too bad that that type of player really doesn’t exist in high-level basketball anymore, but the evolution of the game doesn’t really have a place for those guys. It’s a self-enforcing cycle, in that as the game has less and less places for even generationally skilled players who play that style, less and less players will develop those skills, which makes it increasingly unlikely that anyone will even attempt to incorporate that type of player into their system. And the real point is that, as aesthetically pleasing and joy-inducing as it would be to see someone break out the McHale or Olajuwon style post moves, it has been proven that there is more efficient ways to score over the course of thousands of possessions so even if you had a guy who for some reason worked really hard at developing that type of game there would still be really no good reason to deploy it.
Here’s the solution. 4 pts for a basket off a post move !,
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Great discussion!
Jdrums and I drink from the same well of water. There were/are a few teams on the college level they still employ a post-presence. You'll see it a lot in the Big Ten. Illinois had Kofi Cockburn, Hunter Dickinson at Michigan, and Purdue had Zach Edey. UNC had it with Bacot and Kansas with David McCormick in the final. Great to watch! So yes, coaches do recognize and know how use an old-school big man. It's not as simple as sticking 4 guys on the arc and the big on the low block. There's more action away from the ball. But coaches have to be willing and able to 1) recruit the big and 2) build an offense that suits him. Unfortunately, it's much easier to tell kids "come here, we'll run and dunk, you'll shoot 3's."

And I agree that the pendulum has swung way out of whack. Many of these games are simply 3-point shooting contests. Hot from 3, you win. Cold from 3, you lose. To me, that's not that entertaining. (I don't like the NBA and my kids can testify to that fact when I was commenting during the Finals as to why Tatum doesn't go to the post to score/get fouled instead of throwing up his step-back bricks?)

I'd be curious as to what eliminating the 3-point line would do the game, both college and pro? (Trust me, I know this is 99% unlikely to happen.) Would Steph Curry still be shooting the same shots from 27-feet like they were layups? If yes, then why even have the 3-point line? You'd have to defend him the same way. But I think the game would allow for more post-ups.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good examples with the teams you listed, PMM. I couldn’t think of them. Hopefully, my brain isn’t turning to mush from the heat!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago I'd be curious as to what eliminating the 3-point line would do the game, both college and pro? (Trust me, I know this is 99% unlikely to happen.) Would Steph Curry still be shooting the same shots from 27-feet like they were layups? If yes, then why even have the 3-point line? You'd have to defend him the same way. But I think the game would allow for more post-ups.
You mean other than make it unwatchable and ultimately killing the sport off? Trust me, I appreciate the old stuff. My kids are little and the biggest way I teach them about basketball at the 101 level is show them YouTube videos of the 86 Celtics. I appreciate it. But in reality opening the floor up has been great for the game and allowed it to be dominated by the most elite and gifted athletes in the world. When size was king it was dominated by, essentially, freakishly tall goofs. I think you can appreciate history and be nostalgic for the past but also recognize that the game is way better off for being a game of skill than being a game solely about brute strength and size.
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Why isn’t he on the roster yet?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody83 wrote: 1 year ago Why isn’t he on the roster yet?
Maybe the paperwork hasn't cleared? ha. It's been about a week since we got his surprise decision, with half of those days falling under weekend / holiday.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody83 wrote: 1 year ago Why isn’t he on the roster yet?
Maybe the paperwork hasn't cleared? ha. It's been about a week since we got his surprise decision, with half of those days falling under weekend / holiday.
Yes, makes sense.

I also keep checking for an official announcement.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The three-point culture has absolutely hurt the sport. It's fun watching golden state, but every other team is an awful product when they launch one after another. Make it so a 3 point shot is only available at certain times. There you go.
0 x
GO RAMS
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago I'd be curious as to what eliminating the 3-point line would do the game, both college and pro? (Trust me, I know this is 99% unlikely to happen.) Would Steph Curry still be shooting the same shots from 27-feet like they were layups? If yes, then why even have the 3-point line? You'd have to defend him the same way. But I think the game would allow for more post-ups.
You mean other than make it unwatchable and ultimately killing the sport off? Trust me, I appreciate the old stuff. My kids are little and the biggest way I teach them about basketball at the 101 level is show them YouTube videos of the 86 Celtics. I appreciate it. But in reality opening the floor up has been great for the game and allowed it to be dominated by the most elite and gifted athletes in the world. When size was king it was dominated by, essentially, freakishly tall goofs. I think you can appreciate history and be nostalgic for the past but also recognize that the game is way better off for being a game of skill than being a game solely about brute strength and size.
TP...I don't think removing the 3-point line would make it unwatchable and kill the sport. I still think deep shooters would still be launching deep shots. 25-footer for Curry = 5-footer for Zion. So why would long-range shooters stop shooting from deep? As a defender, you want to take a high percentage shots from the offense. You'd still guard Curry the same way...you're not going to give him open deep jumpers.

When size was king it was dominated by "freakishly tall goofs." Hmmm...somebody tell Dr. J, Bernard King, George Gervin, Alex English...or go back to Elgin Baylor, Jerry West. Goofs, brute strength, and size...not exactly the adjectives I'd use to describe them.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

3 point line culture also nearly eradicates dunks in games as well. I see a dunk in an nba game and I go what was that? Remember alley oops? They've been replaced with fast break 3 pointers as well.
0 x
GO RAMS
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago 3 point line culture also nearly eradicates dunks in games as well. I see a dunk in an nba game and I go what was that? Remember alley oops? They've been replaced with fast break 3 pointers as well.
Oh, I remember alley oops. Air Ulmer...the only way to fly! Dude had some sweet hops.
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Is he officially part of the team?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

eli#10 wrote: 1 year ago Is he officially part of the team?
Not listed on roster at gorhody yet.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

If he doesn’t show up on the roster soon then, I will have to take back any and all compliments I posted on his game…

My compliments have an expiration date. :lol:
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
Finally
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

TP...I don't think removing the 3-point line would make it unwatchable and kill the sport. I still think deep shooters would still be launching deep shots. 25-footer for Curry = 5-footer for Zion. So why would long-range shooters stop shooting from deep? As a defender, you want to take a high percentage shots from the offense. You'd still guard Curry the same way...you're not going to give him open deep jumpers.

When size was king it was dominated by "freakishly tall goofs." Hmmm...somebody tell Dr. J, Bernard King, George Gervin, Alex English...or go back to Elgin Baylor, Jerry West. Goofs, brute strength, and size...not exactly the adjectives I'd use to describe them.
Naming a half dozen outliers over the course of 3 or 4 decades doesn’t do much to disprove my point. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king and certainly when the game is predominantly played by tall, skilled, but ultimately marginally athletic men the generational athletes will be stand out. The three point line has helped the game get more athletic in a couple of ways - the obvious one is that you don’t have to be as tall to get shots off the further you get away from the basket, so the universe of potential NBA players has grown exponentially. But there is also the fact that the existence of the three point line has pulled defenders further and further away from the hoop, opening up the floor and giving more room for gifted athletes to operate even inside the arc.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Someone better go tell Kmac that since Tchikou is 6'11 it means he has to be a center. How dare he say that he's a forward with skill!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Fantastic insight from K-Mac :roll:
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

👀👀👀
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

KMac trying to go viral through internet outrage. Easily could have made his point without the EuroTrash thrown in there. I guess no attention is negative attention to a man-baby like Kevin.
5 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

2 x
Common sense is not common.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Listed on roster #22, R-So. F 6'11"/ 230
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

So 3 years of eligibility vs 4?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago So 3 years of eligibility vs 4?
Currently 3, he would need to apply for a med-hardship waiver for 21-22 and get approved to receive the additional year.
Not sure that would happen or if he would even be interested in playing his 6th year.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Or does he get a COVID year? I plead ignorance on how the NCAA is running those. Seems like they keep popping up, though.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Or does he get a COVID year? I plead ignorance on how the NCAA is running those. Seems like they keep popping up, though.
That includes the Covid year, which all the players get for 20-21.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING