Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Historically, no school with more tradition has done a worse job of celebrating it than URI.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
DevRam wrote: 1 year ago

Yes he was actually there for multiple games during the season.
He was there but the current team sure wasn't
My point being that a top 2 or 3 player of all time was in the building and wasn't introduced to the crowd. I think that will change dramatically going forward.
Yeah I know. And I was just throwing shade at last years team.
0 x
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Matt Keebler »

I saw and spoke to Silk at multiple games (we ended up in the beer line under the stands together a few times) and asked him at one point why they had not recognized him. He said he preferred to be under the radar but I suspect he was being polite. Kind of mind blowing that the programs all time leading scorer is in the building and not announced.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Matt Keebler wrote: 1 year ago I saw and spoke to Silk at multiple games (we ended up in the beer line under the stands together a few times) and asked him at one point why they had not recognized him. He said he preferred to be under the radar but I suspect he was being polite. Kind of mind blowing that the programs all time leading scorer is in the building and not announced.
That’s just terrible come on URI you are better than that !!
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Matt Keebler wrote: 1 year ago I saw and spoke to Silk at multiple games (we ended up in the beer line under the stands together a few times) and asked him at one point why they had not recognized him. He said he preferred to be under the radar but I suspect he was being polite. Kind of mind blowing that the programs all time leading scorer is in the building and not announced.
That’s just terrible come on URI you are better than that !!
Going off speculation is not fact.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I spoke to Silk many times. He did not want to be continually recognized each time he was there. The first time was fine with him. After that he always told Thorr no.

Let’s not blame people who are blameless
7 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This is a former player's son.

0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Only positive of the warriors winning the title, is Jeff Dowtin will get a championship ring
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Only positive of the warriors winning the title, is Jeff Dowtin will get a championship ring
Aside from all the players still on the roster, coaches, trainers, certain administrative personnel, etc, it is up to the discretion of the team who gets the rings.

He was waived on Jan 2nd, spent 5 minutes with Milw, and ended up back with the Lakeland Magic.

Most of his short time with Warriors was with Santa Cruz.
Only actually played a total of 28 minutes with Golden State.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Wait, is that a real thing that teams are only allotted a certain number of rings? I've never heard of that and it makes no sense. It seems team ownership can produce as many rings as they want. Hell, Toucher and Rich for the last two weeks have been going on about the possibility of Wallach, the back up radio play by play guy getting a ring if the Celtics won it all
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Wait, is that a real thing that teams are only allotted a certain number of rings? I've never heard of that and it makes no sense. It seems team ownership can produce as many rings as they want. Hell, Toucher and Rich for the last two weeks have been going on about the possibility of Wallach, the back up radio play by play guy getting a ring if the Celtics won it all
I was probably mistaken and my post wasn't clear, I will edit.

But team ownership does make the determination on how many rings would be allotted out.

My point hasn't changed about my response to Dino's post and Jeff.

Regardless it is still up to the team who gets the rings, definitely not automatic that Jeff receives one.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Wait, is that a real thing that teams are only allotted a certain number of rings? I've never heard of that and it makes no sense. It seems team ownership can produce as many rings as they want. Hell, Toucher and Rich for the last two weeks have been going on about the possibility of Wallach, the back up radio play by play guy getting a ring if the Celtics won it all

But team ownership does make the determination on how many rings would be allotted out.

Regardless it is still up to the team who gets the rings, definitely not automatic that Jeff receives one.
Based on what I’m reading I’d be surprised if Jeff doesn’t get a championship ring.

https://www.influencive.com/how-many-pe ... mpionship/
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Based on what I’m reading I’d be surprised if Jeff doesn’t get a championship ring.

I'd be surprised if he gets one. And if he does, it may not be of the same quality as the "real" ones.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

I'd be surprised if he gets one. And if he does, it may not be of the same quality as the "real" ones.

All the players on the team: This includes reserve players and players who may be out with injuries. This number can vary from 15 to 25 depending on the team.

Coaching and training staff:coaches and trainers of the team also get NBA championship rings when the team wins. This number can range from 20 to 40 depending on how many training staff and coaches a particular team has.

Team managers and front office heads: Various heads and managers of the winning team also get NBA championship rings. Some teams can have as many as 40 office heads and managers.

Scott Brand,

Maybe you could get Jeff Dowtin on a podcast and the subject of who gets a Championship Ring could be discussed?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'm demanding the board start a GoFundMe for me to sit directly behind the Golden State bench next time they come to Boston to heckle the shit out of them if they don't give Dowtin a ring. He played four games for them and who knows how many other games he was rostered and didn't play, it would be complete and utter bullshit if he doesn't get a ring
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’m sure he gets a ring
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I don't think it's a guarantee that he gets a ring, but I'd say probably more likely than not. While he didn't play many minutes for them, ultimately, he did make it on their opening day roster / short-list as a two-way player. He didn't leave on bad terms, he was just cut by the team.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What is the deciding factor?
Number of games played?
On roster at start of year?
On roster at end of year?
Number of minutes played?

40 to 60 people in managerial/administrative jobs get rings but some who played for the team might not?

Curious to hear from Jeff himself once the dust settles.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also if he does get a ring will he be listed as owner of a championship ring on his wiki page ??
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago What is the deciding factor?
Number of games played?
On roster at start of year?
On roster at end of year?
Number of minutes played?

40 to 60 people in managerial/administrative jobs get rings but some who played for the team might not?

Curious to hear from Jeff himself once the dust settles.
I don't think there is any deciding factor, just up to the discretion of team ownership.
When it comes to circumstances similar to Jeff's.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Dowtin will get a ring. We’re talking about an owner in Joe Lacob that was essentially willing to pay $80M for one season of Kelly Oubre. I definitely think Lacob will pony up for a ring for Dowtin.

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

STC wrote: 1 year ago Dowtin will get a ring. We’re talking about an owner in Joe Lacob that was essentially willing to pay $80M for one season of Kelly Oubre. I definitely think Lacob will pony up for a ring for Dowtin.

I think so too , their top 4 players make 148 M per year for next year Lacob will spend
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Baldwin just got drafted by Golden state in the 1st round. So, somebody lost a bet.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Congrats to Tyrese!

2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Waiting for Brian Forster's press conference on this. Tyrese transferred to a more prestigious program with more resources and a better coach and got drafted. Scoreboard!
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I am beyond happy for Tyrese. But this is such a bitter sweet feeling. What could have been. I hope that Archie can turn this around so we can have players to celebrate like this soon.
10 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Unsurprisingly, Fatts wasn't drafted. Before the draft, he worked out with the Wolves, Blazers and Kings, so those seem like the most likely summer ball destinations for him.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I stopped caring about Tyrese Martin two years ago.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Congrats to Tyrese!

Good for him. He always had the talent, but needed discipline and structure to harness it. He got that from Hurley.

Bittersweet for sure, but I have a feeling with Archie running things there will be a lot less of "what could have been" for us.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Does that count as a Rhody nba player?
0 x
GO RAMS
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Does that count as a Rhody nba player?
Ehhh I guess kind of, but it’s not the same as someone who last played for Rhode Island getting drafted. Hope we see someone like that get drafted under Archie.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
Ehhh I guess kind of, but it’s not the same as someone who last played for Rhode Island getting drafted. Hope we see someone like that get drafted under Archie.
I'm about ready to see a Rhody Ram drafted. Been keeping up since 05/06 and haven't seen one yet.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I'm about ready to see a Rhody Ram drafted. Been keeping up since 05/06 and haven't seen one yet.
Perhaps another Ram will be drafted in the next few years. But rather than a VCU Ram, it will be a Ram from the Rhody flock. Make it so, Archie.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Waiting for Brian Forster's press conference on this. Tyrese transferred to a more prestigious program with more resources and a better coach and got drafted. Scoreboard!

Kyle-said Martin had shot at being drafted prior-
Agreed. Martin has a shot tonight. Let's see.
Better than staying at Rhody under Cox.

Some much for paying attention,saving instead for season tix.? Most of the football games start at 1 PM,so put in now for your shift change at Home Depot.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Waiting for Brian Forster's press conference on this. Tyrese transferred to a more prestigious program with more resources and a better coach and got drafted. Scoreboard!

Some much for paying attention,saving instead for season tix.? Most of the football games start at 1 PM,so put in now for your shift change at Home Depot.
You criticized him transferring saying it wouldn't matter. It absolutely did with him. As for the snide comment, my wife and I are grads from the business school and CPAs and we probably donate more to the program than you have in your life.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I guess I’m like a week or so late on this but Jeff will 100%, lead pipe lock, get a ring for his time with GSW if he wants one. Not even a question.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Martin is just someone I used to know.
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Congrats to Tyrese!

Good for him. He always had the talent, but needed discipline and structure to harness it. He got that from Hurley.

Bittersweet for sure, but I have a feeling with Archie running things there will be a lot less of "what could have been" for us.
Love this reaction congrats to him
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Perhaps another Ram will be drafted in the next few years. But rather than a VCU Ram, it will be a Ram from the Rhody flock. Make it so, Archie.
Ima predict that it'll be Brandon Weston.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Waiting for Brian Forster's press conference on this. Tyrese transferred to a more prestigious program with more resources and a better coach and got drafted. Scoreboard!

I suppose somewhere in this word jumble there's a point that you're trying to make, but damn if I can tell what the hell it is
4 x
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

Jared Terrell, Jamal Wilson, Delroy James, Xavier Munford, and Four McGlynn are all playing in TBT this year.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Delroy's TBT team is raising money for autism. WPRI had an interview with him on their sports segment yesterday.

https://www.wpri.com/sports/former-uri- ... or-autism/
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

TexRam wrote: 1 year ago Jared Terrell, Jamal Wilson, Delroy James, Xavier Munford, and Four McGlynn are all playing in TBT this year.
Cyril playing too
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TexRam wrote: 1 year ago Jared Terrell, Jamal Wilson, Delroy James, Xavier Munford, and Four McGlynn are all playing in TBT this year.
Cyril playing too
Jonathan Holton
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Xavier Munford scored 24 points on 10-12 shooting as the U.S. defeated Cuba 87-64 on Monday night, July 4th, to close the first round of qualifying for next year’s Basketball World Cup

https://www.boston25news.com/sports/win ... utType=amp
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

1 x