2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Entering CFL territory. Next stop, embaronsing?
Richmond won the A10 Tournament last year, then beat 5-seed Iowa in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Extending Mooney makes sense based on last year’s performance.

Baron never sniffed an NCAA Tournament Invitation
It took him 11 years to get into the Tournament.
You can make a case that he could have or should have been canned a couple of times between the Sweet 16 2010-11 season and this past year, but Richmond didn't, and if a coach makes the NCAA round of 32 they deserve an extension. Really don't find anything crazy about what Richmond did here with the extension
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Richmond won the A10 Tournament last year, then beat 5-seed Iowa in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

You can make a case that he could have or should have been canned a couple of times between the Sweet 16 2010-11 season and this past year, but Richmond didn't, and if a coach makes the NCAA round of 32 they deserve an extension. Really don't find anything crazy about what Richmond did here with the extension
Won the A10, big upset over 5-seed Iowa in the NCAA. Had his team playing its best basketball down the stretch. Well deserved contract extension.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Good for them. We would have fired him 5 years ago.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Also Ramster in 2019-2020 they finished 2nd in the A10 and would have gotten an NCAAT bid had it not been for Covid. Mooney absolutely deserves an extension.
Where did you see that?
Sorry 19-20 corrected it
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Good for them. We would have fired him 5 years ago.
And hired Cox
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Good for them. We would have fired him 5 years ago.
And hired Cox
What does that mean? If Mooney was here and didn't make the tourney for 5 or 10 years, do you think this board would be lit?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And hired Cox
What does that mean? If Mooney was here and didn't make the tourney for 5 or 10 years, do you think this board would be lit?
How long was Baron here? The board was lit.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Yeah, I think Mooney might have been a candidate to get fired in 2021-22, or the coach on the hottest seat heading into 2022-23, if he didn't make the NCAA Tournament. But, well, he did, and he won a game there too. He's had success at Richmond - his team would have went the pandemic year, if the tournament wasn't cancelled - so it's not like a Patrick Ewing situation, where a couple hot weeks got him an extension.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

He's been coach at Richmond for 17 years and went to 3 NCAAT. No Thanks.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Nice to see Mooney and Richmond can inspire some excellent KB summer slow time discussion. 😎

Carry on.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

VCU fans are celebrating this extension. Tells you everything you need to know.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago VCU fans are celebrating this extension. Tells you everything you need to know.
Richmond was the 6-seed in A10 Tournament
Beat URI
Beat 3-seed VCU (14-4) by 11 in quarterfinals - VCU to NIT
Beat 2-seed Dayton (14-4) in Semifinals - Dayton to NIT
Beat 1-seed Davidson (15-3) in Championship for AQ

Beat 5–seed Iowa in NCAA Tournament

VCU fans weren’t celebrating when Richmond ruined their NCAA Tourney hopes in March

Mooney was in the hot seat. He and his team produced in all important March

Extension came in mid-June.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago VCU fans are celebrating this extension. Tells you everything you need to know.
Beat URI

VCU fans weren’t celebrating when Richmond ruined their NCAA Tourney hopes in March

Thank you for vomiting box scores. Richmond got hot at the right time - not taking anything away from them. Doesn't mean he's a good coach. I also saw plenty of VCU fans happy when Richmond won the auto bid because they all knew it meant Mooney was getting extended.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
Beat URI

Thank you for vomiting box scores. Richmond got hot at the right time - not taking anything away from them. Doesn't mean he's a good coach. I also saw plenty of VCU fans happy when Richmond won the auto bid because they all knew it meant Mooney was getting extended.
It was the right and fair thing to do.

He only had 2 years remaining and getting a 3-year extension after coming off an NCAAT upset win, was expected.
Also had a nice run in 19-20 (2nd in A10), with Covid cancelling their postseason hopes.

Can't compare Richmond to VCU who has a much richer basketball tradition.

Mike Rhoades is an excellent coach but still has yet to win a game in the NCAAT.

22-23 will be Rhoades 6th season at VCU, Mooney went to the Sweet 16 in his 6th year, let's see what Rhoades does.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
Beat URI

Those were not box scores.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I mean, I defended the extension, but it is more of a 55-45 or 60-40 thing to me. I don't think it would have been insane if they didn't. The opinion of VCU's fan base is probably irrelevant, since they were probably happy to see David Cox go, of all people. Richmond has beat VCU when they've been ranked twice in the past 10 years, so it's not like they've been helpless against them.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I mean, I defended the extension, but it is more of a 55-45 or 60-40 thing to me. I don't think it would have been insane if they didn't. The opinion of VCU's fan base is probably irrelevant, since they were probably happy to see David Cox go, of all people. Richmond has beat VCU when they've been ranked twice in the past 10 years, so it's not like they've been helpless against them.
Not sure I would say irrelevant. They are intracity rivals. If PC had extended Keno Davis instead of fire him and then saw all of Rhody Nation celebrating, they would know they goofed.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... areer/amp/

Big blow to Davidson - we will see if they are able to stay in the top quarter of A10 without him or if they will fade
1 x
Clapton is God
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

gorhody89 wrote: 1 year ago https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... areer/amp/

Big blow to Davidson - we will see if they are able to stay in the top quarter of A10 without him or if they will fade
People assumed that this was the announcement that Steph Curry's number was finally going to be retired now that he graduated. Like you said this is a big blow for Davidson, the kind that could have them in the wilderness for a while. Doesn't help that it's done so late in the cycle
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Coaching brain drain for the conference. I hope young McKillop can maintain the program at its level and perform better out of conference for the sake of the A10.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
gorhody89 wrote: 1 year ago https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... areer/amp/

People assumed that this was the announcement that Steph Curry's number was finally going to be retired now that he graduated. Like you said this is a big blow for Davidson, the kind that could have them in the wilderness for a while. Doesn't help that it's done so late in the cycle
Normally, it's cool when an assistant with 14 years gets a shot... But then you read that its his son. Maybe he's learned *everything* at the feet of Bob and the transition will be seamless, but I think it's more likely that they have a difficult transition, or, that this just isn't successful at all.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah, going to be very interesting to see how this works out. I wonder how long of a leash he'll have there.

Big loss for the conference.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This makes 7 new HCs in the A10 22-23 (including Loyola).

Should be an interesting year for our conference.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You guys think if they lost to Iowa that he still gets an extension or did that win seal it for him ??
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 year ago You guys think if they lost to Iowa that he still gets an extension or did that win seal it for him ??
No telling, but the win definitely sealed it for him.

Maybe he would have only received 1 or 2 years additional if they got beat. :D
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

He was the key to Davidson's success over the years. He is 71 years old so it makes sense. Will be interesting to see how they fare without him. His son and Davidson alum Matt McKillop will succeed him. Matt played for his father and had been on his staff for the last 14 years.

Davidson Head Coach Matt McKillop
https://davidsonwildcats.com/sports/men ... illop/1036
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Cynical Me wonders whose idea this was.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Bob's son who was an assistant is taking over. My guess is that there won't be much of a drop off or departure in style of play.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Great coach, classy coach, actually dressed like a coach, he will be missed, but now we can actually beat those guys.
0 x
GO RAMS
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Great coach, classy coach, actually dressed like a coach, he will be missed, but now we can actually beat those guys.
Amen. A Gentleman. And took a lot less money than he deserved. Under 1m
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

False?

This was Mooney's 3rd tourney. He made it in year 5 and 6. He made it to the Sweet 16 in year 6 actually. Both while Baron was still at URI. He actually won the A10 tourney both of those years.

It had been 11 years between tourney appearances for Mooney - but he probably goes in 2020 if not for Covid.

To compare Mooney to Baron is dumb.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Yes, it may be dumb but it sure provides some good discussion during the KB summer slow period😎

Plus,I reserve the right to be dumb as it takes the pressure off trying to be smart all the time. 😁
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It may be discussion, but it’s not good discussion
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

A school whose boosters were buying billboard ads and flying banners over campus asking for Mooney to be fired needed to win the auto bid for this team full of 24 year olds in college to make the tournament. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been extended, it's what happens nowadays in this sport when you reach the tournament. But let's stop pretending he's a good coach and citing them beating a putrid URI team a couple times as proof that he's a good coach.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Personally, I think he’s okay. If I was AD of Richmond, I would give an extension after the late season run.

That said and hypothetically, if I was an A10 AD, had a HC opening and had the choice of any A10 HC, Mooney wouldn’t make my final five list.

To each his own.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Mooney sounds similar to what Cooley did. A year ago the Friar Faithful were all over him and were wondering how they could dispose of him. PC WAS characterized as one of the luckiest teams in the country due to how their schedule broke including how some opponents were missing a star player. Case in point Wisconsin played without Johnny Davis who would up being Big Ten player of the year and first team All Amerian. The "lucky" moniker was coined by a respected college bball writer.
Also, let's not forget that Richmond was playing its 6th game in 10 days when the Friars pasted them.

Also DO NOT FORGET:
FTF FTF FTF FTF FTF
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago A school whose boosters were buying billboard ads and flying banners over campus asking for Mooney to be fired needed to win the auto bid for this team full of 24 year olds in college to make the tournament. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been extended, it's what happens nowadays in this sport when you reach the tournament. But let's stop pretending he's a good coach and citing them beating a putrid URI team a couple times as proof that he's a good coach.
Agreed. He should have been fired at least once and maybe twice before the 19-20 season. Then he probably makes the tournament that season when it was cancelled, so then you keep him around, now last year you make the tournament and you're boxed into having to give him an extension. Hopefully they have a good buyout this time
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

eli#10 wrote: 1 year ago Mooney sounds similar to what Cooley did. A year ago the Friar Faithful were all over him and were wondering how they could dispose of him. PC WAS characterized as one of the luckiest teams in the country due to how their schedule broke including how some opponents were missing a star player. Case in point Wisconsin played without Johnny Davis who would up being Big Ten player of the year and first team All Amerian. The "lucky" moniker was coined by a respected college bball writer.
Also, let's not forget that Richmond was playing its 6th game in 10 days when the Friars pasted them.

Also DO NOT FORGET:
FTF FTF FTF FTF FTF
Cooley makes the tournament every year, the knock on him before this season was he couldn't win in the tournament. Mooney went 11 years between tournament appearances and did nothing to capitalize on his Sweet 16 appearance in 2010-11. Entirely different
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I can't believe Ruchmond is happy with a class act who mentors and graduates his players and is generally near the top of the conference.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

From a distance, Iggy, he does appear to be a class act and he probably is. But that said, I don’t know the man personally and never met him. So, I can’t vouch for his character beyond what he presents to the public.

From a purely coaching tactics perspective, he is okay, in my opinion. If I was an AD, there are 5 A10 coaches I would take ahead of him - Archie, Martin, Bob McKillip, Grant and the coach at GM (as an up a comer). All appear to be high character people as well - as far as I can tell.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Very sad to see this firing <insert sarcasm emoticon>

Pretty shitty to do this at the end of June though.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If a spot ever opens on UConn's staff (ie Kimani gets hired after this season) then you could see DK on Dan's bench. Believe they have a relationship.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago If a spot ever opens on UConn's staff (ie Kimani gets hired after this season) then you could see DK on Dan's bench. Believe they have a relationship.
His wife and Hurley's wife are very close - they host a podcast together.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago If a spot ever opens on UConn's staff (ie Kimani gets hired after this season) then you could see DK on Dan's bench. Believe they have a relationship.
I know they have a relationship, but really I don’t think it would work. Can you imagine those two on the same bench? LOL
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RoadyJay wrote: 1 year ago
I know they have a relationship, but really I don’t think it would work. Can you imagine those two on the same bench? LOL
Bad cop bad cop lmao

2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Their relationship dates back to going to when they (and I) were attending the basketball camp(s). They competed against each other as point guards. They're both the same age...as am I. They were not the best point guards at camp, by the way.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The timing of Kellogg's firing was probably tied to LIU's fiscal calendar. The fiscal year ends on June 30th for many schools. Kellogg was hired five years ago back in 2017. My guess is that his contract likely ended tomorrow. Goodman speculated at his hiring that his contract was expected to be for five years. If that was the case, he probably knew something was up having not been renewed. LIU has already announced that ex-Knick Rod Strickland will replace him. Would seem this was not some snap decision.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The timing of Kellogg's firing was probably tied to LIU's fiscal calendar. The fiscal year ends on June 30th for many schools. Kellogg was hired five years ago back in 2017. My guess is that his contract likely ended tomorrow. Goodman speculated at his hiring that his contract was expected to be for five years. If that was the case, he probably knew something was up having not been renewed. LIU has already announced that ex-Knick Rod Strickland will replace him. Would seem this was not some snap decision.
It's kind of bizarre timing - It doesn't seem like they saved any money, so why not just fire him in March or April? Have to think they'll have a couple transfers because of this, although, maybe not. Rod Strickland is a "name" at least. (Also, kind of surprising he's now a coach, given his reputation as a professional, ha.)
0 x