2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Re: 2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago If you are not pleased with URI's A-10 conference game opponents, you will likely also be very disappointed when the league tv schedule is released. Expect less URI games to be on the more widespread tv networks with more streamed on ESPN+ this season. Consecutive years of poor play and bad records have consequences.
I'm not so sure about that. Yes, TV wants to show attractive teams. But they also want to show attractive games...meaning games with interest...meaning games with fans.

As long as fans are in attendance at the Ryan Center and state of RI has about a million people, there are eyeballs on the games and at the games. You don't find eyeballs at LaSalle, Duquesne, UMASS, Fordham, GMU.

It pains the network to show a game from the Mullins Center with 1,700 folks there. It's an awful look.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The schedule is very favorable for potential wins. Also have Dayton, Davidson, Mason, VCU, UMass & Bonnies at home.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago What a suckbag group of pairings. Fuck this conference
We've been a suckbag team for two years.

Why the hell should the conference reward us? Just because we're URI?

Love to know your reasoning why we deserved top notch pairings.
Ya, it's pretty simple. We have sucked. When you suck, you don't get strong pairings. I'd much rather have weak parings during a rebuilding season... I'm completely fine with it.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago What a suckbag group of pairings. Fuck this conference
We've been a suckbag team for two years.

Why the hell should the conference reward us? Just because we're URI?

Love to know your reasoning why we deserved top notch pairings.
Ya, it's pretty simple. We have sucked. When you suck, you don't get strong pairings. I'd much rather have weak parings during a rebuilding season... I'm completely fine with it.
I’m fine with it also we won’t be a bubble team this year so the SOS really doesn’t matter on the bright side may get a few more wins
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Solid schedule. Rebuilding year. Get your young team experience, win a lot of games, build confidence internally and build a brand externally.

Ideally we’re on this forum a year from now, being talked about one of the most interesting teams for the 23-24 season. Trendy team that P6s are willing to schedule, and that gets access to high level early season tournaments.
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

We have been our own worst enemy the past 2-3 years. The A-10 has positioned us where we deserve to be. As unhappy as I am about our schedule this year with the pod we were given, I will be more happy with our pod in 2-3 years when we are with Davidson, Dayton, VCU year in and year out (and having them trying to take us down because we will be leading the conference).

"we will be good when we are good" is the quote, I believe.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Thanks, Coach Cox.
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

God I hate playing Fordham twice...

Playing an easier schedule does make it easier to finish top four 👌
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago God I hate playing Fordham twice...

Playing an easier schedule does make it easier to finish top four 👌
Always enjoy going to Arthur Ave for Italian food.

Besides Fordham shouldn't be terrible this season.
They finished 8th in 21-22.
Return 3 starters including leading scorer Quisenberry (16 pts).
Plus, PF/C Tsimbila who started 17 games last season.
Include transfer (F) Moore who started 30 games at Georgia Tech last season (8 pts).

Top 4 probably not happening
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

It would have been nice to have St. Louis and Loyola at home but expected to be in the bottom third based on last season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Thanks, Coach Cox.
And the guy who hired him gets the ultimate Thanks

Cox was a known quantity having been on the previous Coavhing Staff. Hurley recommended him as well. So Hurley, Thorr and President Dooley all deserve Thanks plus those persons on the search committee who supported the Cox hire.

It’s like blaming the kid from Greece with 4 fouls in 4 minutes but never putting the blame where it belongs on Assistant Coach Sutton and HC Cox. Then they cut the kid loose without even letting him go on the Hawaii trip.

Shows how critically important the HC Hire is. The ramifications of a bad hire last beyond just the 4 years he was HC - the A10 schedule and our MTE Tournaments show that.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I hope Fordham and Loyola fall on a Saturday
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Based on what we have scheduled, we could never be an At Large team. So it's win the conference tournament or go home. Which really sucks.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Based on what we have scheduled, we could never be an At Large team. So it's win the conference tournament or go home. Which really sucks.
If the A-10 is as good as many think then never say never!

Non-conference could be good enough to keep our metrics high enough to stay within bubble range in A-10 play.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Based on what we have scheduled, we could never be an At Large team. So it's win the conference tournament or go home. Which really sucks.

Non-conference could be good enough to keep our metrics high enough to stay within bubble range in A-10 play.
Keep dreaming
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago Conference is taking care of the teams that had good years last year and are projected to have good years this year as well. Getting teams that are more likely to be good facing each other twice is also better for TV. All 8 of Dayton's SLU's and VCU's double pairing games will be slated for national tv. It does not make sense to switch out any of of Dayton's pairings for us even with the arrival of Archie.
It literally makes all the sense in the world. Easily one of the ten most compelling story lines in the league is Archie's return to Dayton, and our conference in all its infinite wisdom decided to wait a year and a half at least to have that game, giving the story line plenty of time to cool off
No it doesn’t. Reread his post again and actually think about it.
Last edited by RhodyRams12 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Common sense is not common.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Keep your chin up, tbr. The odds are long but it’s early and a lot can happen by next February/March.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If for some reason we ever find ourselves in the bubble conversation we will be drastically ahead of schedule
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Keep dreaming
Uhh in 17-18 we literally beat three teams who got at-large bids and were a 7 seed. PC Seton Hall and St Bonaventure.

We beat a lot of average teams that year and our metrics were great so we got a great seed.

The A-10 this year could easily have way more opportunities for resume building wins and we could come out of the non-conference with the same amount of marquee wins (2)

It's not impossible at all. We probably won't be good enough to do it, but do you think if you gave the 17-18 team that schedule they don't get an at-large bid?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Keep dreaming
Uhh in 17-18 we literally beat three teams who got at-large bids and were a 7 seed. PC Seton Hall and St Bonaventure.

We beat a lot of average teams that year and our metrics were great so we got a great seed.

The A-10 this year could easily have way more opportunities for resume building wins and we could come out of the non-conference with the same amount of marquee wins (2)

It's not impossible at all. We probably won't be good enough to do it, but do you think if you gave the 17-18 team that schedule, they don't get an at-large bid?
My contention isn't about our schedule being good enough to prevent us from being in the NCAAT discussion.

I think the A10 is very deep this season and yeah, we play SH which will probably be an NCAAT team in '23.

But don't even compare us to the 17-18 team at this point.
That team was loaded with veteran experience and proven D1 talent.

I think our roster is loaded with excellent prospects and young talent, but at this time it is asking way too much to think we will be in that discussion and be a top tier A10 team 22-23

I guess it isn't impossible, but if you believe that I think you are letting yourself in for a huge disappointment.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago Conference is taking care of the teams that had good years last year and are projected to have good years this year as well. Getting teams that are more likely to be good facing each other twice is also better for TV. All 8 of Dayton's SLU's and VCU's double pairing games will be slated for national tv. It does not make sense to switch out any of of Dayton's pairings for us even with the arrival of Archie.
It literally makes all the sense in the world. Easily one of the ten most compelling story lines in the league is Archie's return to Dayton, and our conference in all its infinite wisdom decided to wait a year and a half at least to have that game, giving the story line plenty of time to cool off
The story line cooled for 5 years, it’s not like Archie switched conference foes in back to back years, or he was offered a Dayton job and turned it down for URI.

Like with ProJo coverage or anything else - we did it to ourselves. So win the games against an easier schedule, make noise in Brooklyn, and prove your team is on the rise instead of just pointing to your roster on paper.

UMass is in the same boat as us. Trash team that has a brand new roster and high profile coach. Still have a dog schedule.

This is not an NCAA or bust year. This is a fine schedule for us. Plus we get to go to Chicago and yell at Sister Jean.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We don’t deserve to play Dayton twice, so would you rather our one game with them be in Ohio, no revenue, and have a shitty home game in its place?

Or would you prefer a packed Ryan Center, our second best home game, all that revenue, on national tv?
1 x
Go Rhody
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

With the roster and schedule becoming much clearer, one thing for sure is that it will be one of more interesting season prediction threads we've had in many years. Cant wait to again see meaningful basketball played in the Ryan Center.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Keep dreaming

It's not impossible at all. We probably won't be good enough to do it, but do you think if you gave the 17-18 team that schedule, they don't get an at-large bid?
My contention isn't about our schedule being good enough to prevent us from being in the NCAAT discussion.

I think the A10 is very deep this season and yeah, we play SH which will probably be an NCAAT team in '23.

I think our roster is loaded with excellent prospects and young talent, but at this time it is asking way too much to think we will be in that discussion and be a top tier A10 team 22-23

I guess it isn't impossible, but if you believe that I think you are letting yourself in for a huge disappointment.
I'm literally only saying it's not impossible to make it to the dance with our schedule.

Blueram said its impossible and I said it's not. Then I used the 17-18 team as an example. Only 3 marquee wins and they got a 7 seed. No matter what if you're in the A-10 you have to have a gaudy record on top of a few marquee wins to make the tournament. It's possible with this schedule especially if the A-10 is actually good.

I made no predictions on how good we will be.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don’t have a problem with the schedule. Good home games and winnable away games for a young roster.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I'm literally only saying it's not impossible to make it to the dance with our schedule.

Blueram said its impossible and I said it's not. Then I used the 17-18 team as an example. Only 3 marquee wins and they got a 7 seed. No matter what if you're in the A-10 you have to have a gaudy record on top of a few marquee wins to make the tournament. It's possible with this schedule especially if the A-10 is actually good.

Yeah, the schedule is fine considering our situation.

The schedule certainly won't be the reason for us not making the NCAAT in '23.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I said At Large is impossible. Look at last year. VCU 22-10 (14-4 A10), Dayton 24-11 (14-4 A10), Bonnies 23-10 (12-5 A10) and SLU 23-12 (12-6 A10). None of them made an At Large bid.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

I said At Large is impossible. Look at last year. VCU 22-10 (14-4 A10), Dayton 24-11 (14-4 A10), Bonnies 23-10 (12-5 A10) and SLU 23-12 (12-6 A10). None of them made an At Large bid.
Blueram , I think in those examples it was more about the losses and missed opportunities.

VCU- Lost to both Chattanooga and Wagner at the Siegel Center. Also lost their first game in the A10T.

Dayton - Lost to UMass/'Lowell, Lipscomb, and Austin Peay all at the UD Arena.

Bonnies- Lost to N. Iowa at the Reilly Center. Lost by 37 pts to Va. Tech neutral court.
Lost their first game in the A10T.

SLU- Lost to both UAB and Belmont at home.
Lost to UMass and twice to the Bonnies.
Also, no good wins OOC (they had the opportunity)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Blueram , I think in those examples it was more about the losses and missed opportunities.

VCU- Lost to both Chattanooga and Wagner at the Siegel Center. Also lost their first game in the A10T.

Bonnies- Lost to N. Iowa at the Reilly Center. Lost by 37 pts to Va. Tech neutral court.

Which is exactly my point. We don't have any opportunities to lose.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Which is exactly my point. We don't have any opportunities to lose.
First, let's not be concerned about making the NCAAT in 22-23 because it isn't going to happen regardless of the schedule.

Also we would need to avoid any bad losses.
We have the opportunity to play some decent schools in the Cayman Classic.
We still play some very good competition in the A10.
Plus SH on the road and PC at home, and have 3 games left to schedule.

Maybe I am having a senior moment but not exactly sure what you mean.

At-large is a huge longshot but I wouldn't say definitely not impossible because of our schedule.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

It's not impossible. It's certainly harder - but if you don't lose to any teams outside of the top 100 you'll have a shot.

The expectation and reality in year one of a rebuild is not NCAA. In the transfer era, I think year 3 is a fair time to have that expectation.

I think URI will turn heads this year. I think we'll be better than people expect. I think we'll be an NIT team.

But the schedule will not be why/why not we dance.

Of all the things to complain about, this definitely isn't it.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

It's not impossible. It's certainly harder - but if you don't lose to any teams outside of the top 100 you'll have a shot.

The expectation and reality in year one of a rebuild is not NCAA. In the transfer era, I think year 3 is a fair time to have that expectation.

I think URI will turn heads this year. I think we'll be better than people expect. I think we'll be an NIT team.

But the schedule will not be why/why not we dance.

Of all the things to complain about, this definitely isn't it.
Yes Blue Man, but I am not as optimistic as you about the NIT this season.
That would probably require a 20-win season, not counting the A10T.

I do however think we can turn some heads and show some flashes this season.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Maybe it's lost in translation. I don't expect the team to dance this year at all. I was just commenting on the schedule saying even if the team caught lightning it would not be in the discussion. We play four dogs in conference twice.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Maybe it's lost in translation. I don't expect the team to dance this year at all. I was just commenting on the schedule saying even if the team caught lightning it would not be in the discussion. We play four dogs in conference twice.
GM will be pretty good this season.
UMass has a good chance to finish ahead of us this season.
Fordham won't be terrible, finished 8th in 21-22 and some decent players on the roster.

Out of the 3 worst teams La Salle, St. Joe's, and Duquesne, we only play La Salle twice.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Maybe it's lost in translation. I don't expect the team to dance this year at all. I was just commenting on the schedule saying even if the team caught lightning it would not be in the discussion. We play four dogs in conference twice.
Fordham won't be terrible, finished 8th in 21-22 and some decent players on the roster.

Out of the 3 worst teams LaSalle, St. Joe's, and Duquesne, we only play LaSalle twice.
The teams we play twice had a NET last year of 114, 177, 178 and 225.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Out of the 3 worst teams LaSalle, St. Joe's, and Duquesne, we only play LaSalle twice.
3 out of 4 of those teams finished higher than us (A10) last season.

Plus GM will be much better, with English having a year under his belt.

UMass returns their leading scorer plus Martin will have them playing much better than McCall.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

UMass returns their leading scorer plus Martin will have them playing much better than McCall.
What does that even mean? NET is what determines At Large bids. Not understanding what you are saying.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

What does that even mean? NET is what determines At Large bids. Not understanding what you are saying.
You were complaining and making comments about our A10 schedule.
It is fair and deserving

You also made a comment that with the schedule an At-Large bid is impossible.
I don't think it will hsppen but not impossible.

If we take care of business in the A10.
Have a good showing in the Cayman Classic.
Beat SH and PC, play well in the A10T.
We don't necesarrily need to be an automatic qualifier to get into the NCAAT.

We do have the opportunities in our schedule even though I doubt it will happen.

Like Blue Man said it is not the schedule that will prevent us from getting a bid.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Given the portal-related roster churn, it's still too early to say anything definitive about the schedule or the league.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The story line cooled for 5 years, it’s not like Archie switched conference foes in back to back years, or he was offered a Dayton job and turned it down for URI.

Like with ProJo coverage or anything else - we did it to ourselves. So win the games against an easier schedule, make noise in Brooklyn, and prove your team is on the rise instead of just pointing to your roster on paper.

UMass is in the same boat as us. Trash team that has a brand new roster and high profile coach. Still have a dog schedule.

This is not an NCAA or bust year. This is a fine schedule for us. Plus we get to go to Chicago and yell at Sister Jean.
Come on, let's get serious, the story line is literally only months old and in a conference devoid of story lines we should be maximizing the ones we have. I know I'm in the vast minority, but this story line is still big. A Dayton beat writer pointed out the glaring omission and it's talk on the Dayton message board as well. Considering no one has any idea how Loyola will adapt to the new conference, URI and Dayton already had a solid rivalry, and now Archie Miller back in conference, we absolutely should have been one of Dayton's pairings instead of Loyola.

Put it this way. If Dan Hurley is fired by UConn after this season for not being Jim Calhoun and comes back to coach in the A10 in the 24-25 season, you would be the first one Blue Man to act like Tony Montana snorting the whole mountain of coke at the end of Scarface waiting to find out when he'd be coming back. And if they didn't have him coming back to the Ryan Center the first year you would throw an absolute nutty.

And again, last time we were expected to be really good, we had mid pack La Salle as one of our home and homes. Maybe the conference has gotten smarter about their pairings, but something tells me the next time we're good again they'll find a way to pork us on our schedule, so I don't give them an ounce of the benefit of the doubt
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

And for as bad as we were last year, we still had a NET of 142 and I'm not sure there's a person on this board that thinks we'll be worse this year
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Come on, let's get serious, the story line is literally only months old and in a conference devoid of story lines we should be maximizing the ones we have. I know I'm in the vast minority, but this story line is still big. A Dayton beat writer pointed out the glaring omission and it's talk on the Dayton message board as well. Considering no one has any idea how Loyola will adapt to the new conference, URI and Dayton already had a solid rivalry, and now Archie Miller back in conference, we absolutely should have been one of Dayton's pairings instead of Loyola.

Put it this way. If Dan Hurley is fired by UConn after this season for not being Jim Calhoun and comes back to coach in the A10 in the 24-25 season, you would be the first one Blue Man to act like Tony Montana snorting the whole mountain of coke at the end of Scarface waiting to find out when he'd be coming back. And if they didn't have him coming back to the Ryan Center the first year you would throw an absolute nutty.

And again, last time we were expected to be really good, we had mid pack La Salle as one of our home and homes. Maybe the conference has gotten smarter about their pairings, but something tells me the next time we're good again they'll find a way to pork us on our schedule, so I don't give them an ounce of the benefit of the doubt

Yeah let's be serious, I don't buy into your conspiracy theory that the A10 is purposely out to get URI.

The 4 teams that Dayton plays twice makes perfect sense: SLU, VCU, Davidson, and Loyola.
These teams have all been predicted to finish higher than us by most insiders this season.

Besides we played Dayton twice last season, and I am glad we are playing them in Kingston 22-23.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yeah let's be serious, I don't buy into your conspiracy theory that the A10 is purposely out to get URI.

The 4 teams that Dayton plays twice makes perfect sense: SLU, VCU, Davidson, and Loyola.
These teams have all been predicted to finish higher than us by most insiders this season.

Besides we played Dayton twice last season, and I am glad we are playing them in Kingston 22-23.
I believe that who you get paired up with is a result of the prior year record, right? I don’t think it has anything to do with predictions as to where teams might finish in 2022-2023.
URI’s 2021-2022 finish in Conference play dictates the next years schedule.

Some consideration might be given to regional distance such as URI vs UMASS but I’m not 100% sure on that.

I agree with you that there is no conspiracy against URI. We dug our own hole. Now need to dig our way out.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

I believe that who you get paired up with is a result of the prior year record, right? I don’t think it has anything to do with predictions as to where teams might finish in 2022-2023.

Some consideration might be given to regional distance such as URI vs UMASS but I’m not 100% sure on that.

I agree with you that there is no conspiracy against URI. We dug our own hole. Now need to dig our way out.
Yes Ramster, either way the schedule is very fair especially based on our record the last 2 seasons.
Although the Bonnies who finished ahead of SLU in the standings last season have a much easier A10 schedule.
The Bonnies home/away - Duquesne, Fordham, UMass, Richmond
SLU home/away - Dayton, VCU, Davidson, Loyola.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes Ramster, either way the schedule is very fair especially based on our record the last 2 seasons.
Although the Bonnies who finished ahead of SLU in the standings last season have a much easier A10 schedule.
That makes me think they do consider future roster makeup. Bonnie’s playing those 4 teams twice each seems odd. Maybe because all 5 starters gone?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That makes me think they do consider future roster makeup. Bonnie’s playing those 4 teams twice each seems odd. Maybe because all 5 starters gone?
Yeah, makes sense with the Bonnies.

Also the top 3 predicted A10 schools: Dayton, SLU, VCU have the toughest A10 schedules.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Also the top 3 predicted A10 schools: Dayton, SLU, VCU have the toughest A10 schedules.
Which is what those teams want, right?
They only play the bottom teams once, and the middle teams once.
Our performance the last 3 years really hurt our scheduling.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Which is what those teams want, right?
They only play the bottom teams once, and the middle teams once.
Our performance the last 3 years really hurt our scheduling.
Right
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Nah - I mean there’s been too much time between for it to be a Dayton vs URI for Archie thing. Dayton fans understood why he left - IU is a top job, and they got a good guy to replace him. They’re a program that isn’t super dependent on who their coach is. They know how to hire well and support the program so they don’t have peaks and valleys.

With Hurley - I wouldn’t care as much, because I understand why Dan left. I went to way more UConn games last year than URI. I’ll always love Dan for what he did here, and I blame URI for not giving him the support he needed. Not for nothing him leaving and us tanking under cox forced us to invest and we wound up in a better situation anyway.

Basically, Dayton wasn’t as dependent on Archie to be good as we were on Dan. So I don’t think their fans will be any more or less fired up. Grant probably gave Dayton their best team ever - and without Covid they’re probably national champs.

And as far as matchups go - the league has to keep members happy to fight against realignment and the western teams (SLU, Dayton) are the most at risk of being poached. Giving them favorable travel partners and good teams will keep them happy. I’m OK with that.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Fact of the matter is, we boned ourselves with our performance over the last two years. That is why we got crap pairings in conference play.

We were gifted a great schedule and a chance over those two years and blew it. Now we need to cook the cupcakes if we want 2x Dayton & 2x VCU again.

This works in our advantage. League should be strong again so a tough schedule would have worked against us more than helped with an entirely new roster and staff. Let’s win the winnable games and build some confidence and a little buzz. And go from there.
0 x