Roster 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: Roster 2022-23

Unread post by jcru »

It was exciting when Hurley brought us to two NCAA appearances and compiled one of the greatest rosters in team history.

But when he left, he left for a definitive reason. This team was going into a rebuilding cycle. He was leaving Downton, Cyril, and a backup point guard/6th man with an ego the size of a Mack truck, not known for being a team player. And of course, with signed recruits lingering in the balance. Those recruits were going to soften the blow and make the team at least competitive and respectable.

But Hurley could have been facing another two year down cycle before getting back to the NCAAs ... OR ... go to UConn. Let me think on that one. Yeah, no is blaming Hurley for that move. That was the obvious, reasonable, correct move to make for yourself and your family. Success can be had at URI, but if history tells us anything, it's not going to be for more than 2 to 3 years spurts at a time, with down cycles in between.

Cox was just the wrong guy. I don't blame anyone who promoted him, hindsight is always 20/20. But that is ancient history now. NOW, we have an excellent coach. There is NO REASON to not be optimistic. Those recruiting moves with the portal and whatnot are not a mirage. Don't adjust your eyeballs, you are seeing success at work in real time. You are seeing momentum in real time.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

To me the general tenor isn't really surprising. After Cox was hired we had a young core that had tournament experience with a top recruiting class coming in. It was one of the best times going to be a Rhody fan. Right now we're coming off of two terrible seasons, have a great A10 coach and a roster loaded with potential but unproven in most every way. There's a lot to be excited about going forward, but we're only creating momentum now as opposed to having things rolling back then
March/April of 2018 was a wild time on this board. A lot of people were all in on Cox. Part of that was in a eff Hurley kind of way and part of it was that people had talked themselves into Cox being the real reason the team had been performing well. I believe it was BM himself who claimed that Hurley was a good rebuilder but that it was Cox who could take them and elevate it. They had the culture, they had the recruits, they had the momentum, they had Jeff and Cyril and Fatts as guys who were busting in on press conferences and making the team theirs. It certainly will be fun to get back to that.
It's definitely findable - but I thought, at the time, that Dave Cox would be able to make adjustments I don't think Danny will.

What I love about Dan is that he is playing his style, his team will outwork you, and he will force you to play that way.

What could be frustrating about Dan is exactly the same thing. And I do believe he himself brought up Dave convincing him to switch to a zone D in a certain game when we were getting beaten off the dribble. I never thought Dan limited himself to being a "rebuilder" but I do agree (and still do) that his teams will go as far as the matchups dictate in the NCAA tourney. He wasn't going to outcoach a Coach K, but his team could outwork anyone.

If our 2018 team didn't have to face Duke, Mich St or Kansas that year, I truly believe we were a final four team. Just all about matchups.

I had thought (obviously incorrectly) that Cox would be able to mirror those same type of adjustments in in-game coaching.

I still would've rather had Dan stay, but I understood why he left and I was more angry at URI for not making the commitments that it took 4 years of failure to make.

Cox was the right choice at the time (both due to contractual reasons and otherwise). I'll stand by that. It obviously didn't work out, but there was no way to predict how bad it would've been.

So yes, I was all in on Cox, as any fan should be, until I was shown a reason to not be. Just so happened that it was one month later in December when it was pretty apparent this dude was in way over his head.

And I can't tell if the subtext about people calling for firing is about me - but I'm pretty sure my points are dead on. Never jumped off the Hurley bandwagon, was probably one of like 3 people who were holding the line throughout his tenure. Cox I was on board until there was reason not to be. Archie has already proven himself to be a great head coach, so I know we have the right guy, and I'll be challenging any and all to physical combat at the Ryan Center if they plan to jump off the bandwagon.
At least on my end it doesn't have anything to do with you, I remember we were some of the seeming few that were still in on Hurley. But I am scarred from the fights I had in the dark period of February of 2017 and don't want to get to that place again
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I would never blame anyone for something like that. Yeah, going through 4 years of treading water sucks. But in the end, we got Archie Miller out of it, that more than makes up for it.

In college basketball, you celebrate the past, but it's really all about the future. And the future is looking good right now.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago

March/April of 2018 was a wild time on this board. A lot of people were all in on Cox. Part of that was in a eff Hurley kind of way and part of it was that people had talked themselves into Cox being the real reason the team had been performing well. I believe it was BM himself who claimed that Hurley was a good rebuilder but that it was Cox who could take them and elevate it. They had the culture, they had the recruits, they had the momentum, they had Jeff and Cyril and Fatts as guys who were busting in on press conferences and making the team theirs. It certainly will be fun to get back to that.
It's definitely findable - but I thought, at the time, that Dave Cox would be able to make adjustments I don't think Danny will.

What I love about Dan is that he is playing his style, his team will outwork you, and he will force you to play that way.

What could be frustrating about Dan is exactly the same thing. And I do believe he himself brought up Dave convincing him to switch to a zone D in a certain game when we were getting beaten off the dribble. I never thought Dan limited himself to being a "rebuilder" but I do agree (and still do) that his teams will go as far as the matchups dictate in the NCAA tourney. He wasn't going to outcoach a Coach K, but his team could outwork anyone.

If our 2018 team didn't have to face Duke, Mich St or Kansas that year, I truly believe we were a final four team. Just all about matchups.

I had thought (obviously incorrectly) that Cox would be able to mirror those same type of adjustments in in-game coaching.

I still would've rather had Dan stay, but I understood why he left and I was more angry at URI for not making the commitments that it took 4 years of failure to make.

Cox was the right choice at the time (both due to contractual reasons and otherwise). I'll stand by that. It obviously didn't work out, but there was no way to predict how bad it would've been.

So yes, I was all in on Cox, as any fan should be, until I was shown a reason to not be. Just so happened that it was one month later in December when it was pretty apparent this dude was in way over his head.

And I can't tell if the subtext about people calling for firing is about me - but I'm pretty sure my points are dead on. Never jumped off the Hurley bandwagon, was probably one of like 3 people who were holding the line throughout his tenure. Cox I was on board until there was reason not to be. Archie has already proven himself to be a great head coach, so I know we have the right guy, and I'll be challenging any and all to physical combat at the Ryan Center if they plan to jump off the bandwagon.
At least on my end it doesn't have anything to do with you, I remember we were some of the seeming few that were still in on Hurley. But I am scarred from the fights I had in the dark period of February of 2017 and don't want to get to that place again
I assumed. I hate June. I love golfing but being excited for URI basketball and having none to watch/talk about is the wooooooorst.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago It's not just that some people might bitch, it's that it's most of the same people saying "WHY WON'T YOU CALL US GREAT1" will be the same ones screaming "WHY DON'T WE FIRE HIM!" Some perspective and moderation is ok
No one is going to be calling for his firing. This is just paranoia at this point.

When people were calling for Hurley to be fired on this board, I was so disgusted by it, I left the site for a couple of years. They could give Jim Baron 11 years to do nothing and Jerry DeGregorio 2 years to do less than nothing, but they can't allow for a down year or two from a top tier coach? They're blow hards.

Yes, there are delusional fans, but when you get a prime coach like a Harrick, or a Hurley, or in this case an Archie Miller, and you have a down year and people are acting stupid, just ignore them. They don't know what they are talking about. I think most people would realize that. It's just noise.
Jcru, I was not a member here at the time but was a lurker. I agree that the complaining was frustrating but, in their defense (and I am not speaking for anyone), they may not have perceived Dan to be a top tier HC at that time. Therefore, they may have been less patient.

At the time, I saw Dan as a developing towards becoming a top tier HC and therefore, willing to be patient.

People come from different perspectives due to experience, background, time horizon and various other reasons. For example, I am older now, less healthy and don’t take seasons for granted. Therefore, I may have less patience with Archie than I did with Dan.

That said, Let’s go Arch, move your butt! I don’t have all day to wait for another deep tourney run or two. Nothing personal. Oh Arch, and btw, I don’t appreciate this stealth stuff either. I need my recruiting news. :D
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I guess I've always been a little more patient and more "glass is half full" and willing to give coaches second chances, based on if I believed in them or not.

For instance, I was a big fan of Parcells, and I was really happy when he took over a failing 1-15 and 2-14 NE Patriots. And I just believed he could turn the franchise around. And he got them to the SB in four years, but they lost and then he bolted. We don't need to rehash why, but he and Kraft had a falling out. I liked both parents in the divorce, I still liked Parcells, even though he went to a rival team. I liked the way he coached, and the way he ran a franchise, and the way he handled the media.

Later, when Parcells tried to name Belichick his successor at NY, but Belichick bolted to the Patriots instead, I was delighted, because I believed that Belichick could revert to the system that Parcells had tried to install while at New England. I think Kraft saw that too. He may not have liked Parcells himself, or his personality, but he liked/missed the entire Parcells system. A few years with the loosey goosey floundering Pete Carroll was enough to convince him to try to get back to that.

So, I was delighted with the Belichick signing, but many people weren't so positive. Many were wait and see at best. They said, he failed at his only other head coaching job in Cleveland, what makes you think he's going to do any better here? But, my argument in response was, Cleveland was a place where coaches and players went to die on the vine, you shouldn't base your opinion on him on that alone.

Now, no one could have predicted just how good Belichick was going to be, back in 2000. But I had a great feeling about it, and he surpassed my hopes and others a 100 times over. If you believe in someone, you are willing to give them a big length of rope. I know if I believe in someone, I am willing to give them a few years in between the good years to get back on track.

I believed in Dan Hurley.

And I believe in Archie Miller.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I feel like we're getting to the point where we need a poll to show that EVERYONE believes in Archie Miller right now. I don't get the need to try and create this false narrative that people don't believe in him or are not optimistic about where this program is headed.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Great stuff as usual from Chris Disano on the roster.

https://www.yurview.com/featured/archie ... -in-place/
4 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Feel like people have been very quick to write off the possibility of Ish contributing to this team in a meaningful way. He had a “down here”, no thanks to a system that didn’t let him capitalize on his strengths.

If you compare Ish’s freshmen year per 40 to Brays, they are very very similar.

I don’t have a crystal ball, but getting Ish back to that level would be significant for this teams success
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Great stuff as usual from Chris Disano on the roster.

This is a great breakdown. It leaves me wondering if we might see more of Bilau this year than I was realizing, since he isn't quite as inexperienced as the rest of the front court newcomers.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Great stuff as usual from Chris Disano on the roster.

Thanks for posting this, 78. Excellent read and insight into Archie’s roster building strategy. Will have to re-read it later.

DiSano does a real good job with Rhody and the A10.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago

This is a great breakdown. It leaves me wondering if we might see more of Bilau this year than I was realizing, since he isn't quite as inexperienced as the rest of the front court newcomers.
That looks to be the case with Bilau. Really looking forward to seeing this team play and grow together.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think whichever big fits best with Archie's defensive plan will start. Whether that is Bilau, Foumena or Samb, I have no idea.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I think whichever big fits best with Archie's defensive plan will start. Whether that is Bilau, Foumena or Samb, I have no idea.
Yeah that definitely makes sense. I don't think any of them are going to be counted on too much for offense, at least early on.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good point, 78. Bilau could be but it’s still very early. I also think Archie will favor the better defender unless it is clear one is better offensively yet close enough defensively to the others.

I’m just spitballing until we see his actual lineup. In the meantime, maybe we will get more insights from DiSano in the coming months. Hope so.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Good point, 78. Bilau could be but it’s still very early. I also think Archie will favor the better defender unless it is clear one is better offensively yet close enough defensively to the others.

I’m just spitballing until we see his actual lineup. In the meantime, maybe we will get more insights from DiSano in the coming months. Hope so.
At this time, Archie probably doesn't know the starting lineup.
No doubt he will be experimenting with different combinations during practices and scrimmages.

Also a safe guess that we will see changes as the season goes along.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If Bilau is our best big man, we are in a lot of trouble. This guy is a fouling machine. We will wish we had Jermaine Harris back. I'm praying for Foumena being ready real fast or else we need to play with a small line-up for now..

While I opposed the hiring of Cox, I support the hiring of Miller. I will support him until he disgraces the University or shows he cannot get the job done. We are not paying him $2M/year to build a mediocre or worse program. He is a hired gun.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Fair enough.

No one need worry because he's going to get the job done, and we are going to be a good program again.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago If Bilau is our best big man, we are in a lot of trouble. This guy is a fouling machine. We will wish we had Jermaine Harris back. I'm praying for Foumena being ready real fast or else we need to play with a small line-up for now..

While I opposed the hiring of Cox, I support the hiring of Miller. I will support him until he disgraces the University or shows he cannot get the job done. We are not paying him $2M/year to build a mediocre or worse program. He is a hired gun.
You have no clue what type of player Bilau is. He's the best defender in our frontcourt. Comparing him to Harris? Give me a break.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago While I opposed the hiring of Cox,
Rhody72
Post 1 year ago

It has been a long time since I have started a new thread, but I feel that we need to discuss the future of David Cox as our basketball coach NOW. I truly believe that David Cox will become a great college basketball coach and now is the time to secure him as URI's coach when a more lucrative contract from URI would interest him and stabilize program leadership. Don't wait until David is a hot commodity and other schools outbid us for his services. Also, I believe that now is the time that a mutually beneficial contract can be reached that will keep him as URI's coach when he becomes successful, something that has plagued URI for decades. David possesses the characteristics of great basketball coaches. He is smart, a leader, a role model with terrific interpersonal skills, a proven recruiter and a person that I project will develop players and build a strong program. The players he has recruited are high quality individuals. Now is the time for us to get behind David and push the administration to support URI basketball
6 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

In reviewing his stats at the JC he played for, Bilau committed about one PF per 11 minutes of play and never fouled out if a game. Maybe he’ll foul more at a higher level, but that’s hardly evidence of a “fouling machine”.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

At Wichita State he played 61 total minutes committing 9 fouls. 5.9 fouls per 40 minute game. Not out of the ordinary for a big man.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago Feel like people have been very quick to write off the possibility of Ish contributing to this team in a meaningful way. He had a “down here”, no thanks to a system that didn’t let him capitalize on his strengths.

If you compare Ish’s freshmen year per 40 to Brays, they are very very similar.

I don’t have a crystal ball, but getting Ish back to that level would be significant for this teams success
Agreed. I expect a much better Ish this season.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Love the subtext of yeah, he’ll work hard and so will his guys, but he is just kind of dumb. Regardless, the Giants guy will be back soon with another dumb signature, so I am out.

Final comment- with regards to Ish, the best thing he has going for him is finally getting good coaching. He has parts of his game that are kind of A10 average and parts where he excels. Thank god for a coach who knows how to identify which is which, can communicate what a player’s role is to him, and holds him accountable. Guys want to know how to work and get better and what kind of play earns minutes.
8 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72
Post 1 year ago

It has been a long time since I have started a new thread, but I feel that we need to discuss the future of David Cox as our basketball coach NOW. I truly believe that David Cox will become a great college basketball coach and now is the time to secure him as URI's coach when a more lucrative contract from URI would interest him and stabilize program leadership. Don't wait until David is a hot commodity and other schools outbid us for his services. Also, I believe that now is the time that a mutually beneficial contract can be reached that will keep him as URI's coach when he becomes successful, something that has plagued URI for decades. David possesses the characteristics of great basketball coaches. He is smart, a leader, a role model with terrific interpersonal skills, a proven recruiter and a person that I project will develop players and build a strong program. The players he has recruited are high quality individuals. Now is the time for us to get behind David and push the administration to support URI basketball
Another 72 take that aged incredibly bad
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Good point, 78. Bilau could be but it’s still very early. I also think Archie will favor the better defender unless it is clear one is better offensively yet close enough defensively to the others.

I think Bilau will just be the most ready to play his role. He'll just be one of those below average offensive players that just goes out there, plays within himself and doesn't do anything too stupid.

The most physically ready Foumena can be the better because he's got a lot of skill already.

Ideally you want more than 3 big guys. We could easily end up having a tough time with guys in foul trouble.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

I think Bilau will just be the most ready to play his role. He'll just be one of those below average offensive players that just goes out there, plays within himself and doesn't do anything too stupid.

The most physically ready Foumena can be the better because he's got a lot of skill already.

Ideally you want more than 3 big guys. We could easily end up having a tough time with guys in foul trouble.
I think the hope is every single front court player will be better than Bilau if we are to succeed. I love the guards and think Archie got some good young front court players, but hard to have much confidence in Bilau who did very little in Juco let alone D-1. You can’t have everything, but wish they had gotten an experienced big at the forward/center spot
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody72
Post 1 year ago
If my post was from 4 years ago, then it would be relevant. I said I was opposed to Cox's HIRING. Think!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72
Post 1 year ago
If my post was from 4 years ago, then it would be relevant. I said I was opposed to Cox's HIRING. Think!
Let me get this straight. You were against hiring Cox, but after watching him coach, you felt we needed to extend him? I'm surprised you were wrong since you have so much experience hiring people. Where is the 72 from years ago that was right about Cox and teaching Jimmy Baron how to hit free throws??
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PowderBlueButBetter
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PowderBlueButBetter »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago If Bilau is our best big man, we are in a lot of trouble. This guy is a fouling machine. We will wish we had Jermaine Harris back. I'm praying for Foumena being ready real fast or else we need to play with a small line-up for now..

Fouling machine? The dude had more blocked shots than personal fouls committed last year...

IDK where you heard that, but I've heard he is a great defensive player and very disciplined. The issue with him starting would certainly be more about his offensive skill set rather than defensively
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The portal, JUCOs and freshman recruits have been picked over at this point. I don't see URI adding much quality at this point for next year. What we have is likely to be the top of our roster. While the coaches are always looking for 22-23, we need to develop what we have and make connections for 23-24.
We literally just landed our best recruit a few days ago. We are still in the mix for Ant Harris and N'Guessan. We are also speaking to Amadou Traore, who’s a physical specimen. Nevermind that this staff keeps everything quiet on who’s visiting.

Plenty of talent left.
Thoughts on Traore who will be visiting, Stevey?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The portal, JUCOs and freshman recruits have been picked over at this point. I don't see URI adding much quality at this point for next year. What we have is likely to be the top of our roster. While the coaches are always looking for 22-23, we need to develop what we have and make connections for 23-24.
We literally just landed our best recruit a few days ago. We are still in the mix for Ant Harris and N'Guessan. We are also speaking to Amadou Traore, who's a physical specimen. Nevermind that this staff keeps everything quiet on who's visiting.

Plenty of talent left.
I like Bilau more, but Traore is a bruiser. He's one of those undersized wide bigs that can set picks, rebounds and bully players inside with his strength. In addition, he gets up higher than I expected. Saw a handful of nice ally oops and finishes while watching some games.

I broke my elbow and need surgery, so I won't be on here much in the next few weeks. Go Rhody!!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I broke my elbow and need surgery, so I won't be on here much in the next few weeks. Go Rhody!!!
Ouch! Best of luck for a speedy recovery Stevey!
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We literally just landed our best recruit a few days ago. We are still in the mix for Ant Harris and N'Guessan. We are also speaking to Amadou Traore, who's a physical specimen. Nevermind that this staff keeps everything quiet on who's visiting.

Plenty of talent left.
I like Bilau more, but Traore is a bruiser. He's one of those undersized wide bigs that can set picks, rebounds and bully players inside with his strength. In addition, he gets up higher than I expected. Saw a handful of nice ally oops and finishes while watching some games.

I broke my elbow and need surgery, so I won't be on here much in the next few weeks. Go Rhody!!!
Make sure that thing is fully healed by early November!
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody Vault is confident Carey will be a major impact player for us 22-23

2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Go Stevey! Wishing you a speedy recovery.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Plenty of talent left.

Hey Steve you take care and get better fast.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

[/quote]

[/quote]

:(

Speedy recovery!!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

3 months after starting this thread, looks like we have a roster. I think the last position on the staff will be announced soon.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago 3 months after starting this thread, looks like we have a roster. I think the last position on the staff will be announced soon.
Any clues for that player development position?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago 3 months after starting this thread, looks like we have a roster. I think the last position on the staff will be announced soon.
Amazing what a job this staff did to fill this roster out can’t wait for November !!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

:D It’s gonna be fun to see how this roster comes together in November!!!!
2 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Forgive my ignorance, but does the MBB team have a physical trainer (performance coach) on staff?
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

DanInAZ wrote: 1 year ago Forgive my ignorance, but does the MBB team have a physical trainer (performance coach) on staff?
Never mind. It is DAN APODACA.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DanInAZ wrote: 1 year ago Forgive my ignorance, but does the MBB team have a physical trainer (performance coach) on staff?
NAME TITLE
coach miller headshot Archie Miller Head Coach
coach johnson headshot Kenny Johnson Assistant Coach
Duane Woodward Assistant Coach
head-shot-carroll-austin-2022-23 Austin Carroll Assistant Coach
Ben Sander Chief of Staff
ryan mccloskey Ryan McCloskey Assistant Director of Operations/Video Coordinator
apodaca-sam-HS Dan Apodaca Director of Basketball Performance
Pacifico-Shawn-HS Shawn Pacifico Associate Athletic Therapist
sue mainella Susan Mainella Administrative Assistant

Dan Apodaca joined the Rhode Island Strength & Conditioning staff as the Director of Basketball Performance in October of 2021.

Apodaca came to URI after spending the 2020-21 season at the University of South Alabama, where he was the assistant director of strength and conditioning, working primarily with the Jaguar men’s basketball and men’s tennis programs.

Before his time at South Alabama, Apodaca was an assistant strength and conditioning coach at Florida in 2019-20. In addition to assisting with the Gator women’s basketball program, he designed and implemented programs for both the men’s tennis and men’s golf teams. Apodaca’s responsibilities included coordinating training sessions, assisting with nutrition education, intervention and planning, maintenance of weight room equipment in the basketball practice facility and directing the school’s student interns and volunteers.

Apodaca was at Arizona in 2018-19 as a sports performance intern and also interned with New Mexico State in the fall of 2015. He also worked for a year-and-a-half as a strength and conditioning coach at the McDermott Athletic Center in Rio Rancho, N.M.

A 2015 graduate of New Mexico State with a degree in Kinesiology, Apodaca began working on a master’s degree in high performance coaching while at Florida. He has earned certifications from the National Strength and Conditioning Association, United States Weightlifting Association and the American Heart Association.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Thanks Ramster. I saw the error of my ways and quickly posted it. ;)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DanInAZ wrote: 1 year ago Thanks Ramster. I saw the error of my ways and quickly posted it. ;)
Dan,

Not really an error because URI did not have this position listed on recent past rosters, only for this upcoming season with Coach Miller. This was easy to miss if not checking the Coaching Roster on a frequent basis.

This was Coaching Roster for 2021-2022
david cox David Cox Head Coach
Todd Bozeman Assistant Coach
tj buchanan T.J. Buchanan Assistant Coach
head-shot-carroll-austin-2022-23 Austin Carroll Assistant Coach
ryan mccloskey Ryan McCloskey Special Assistant to the Head Coach
syd armand Sydney Armand Video Coordinator
sue mainella Susan Mainella Administrative Assistant
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Average Height around 6'8 no?
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI's trajectory will be determined by the performance of three players recovering from potentially career altering injuries. Let's hope for the best.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

0 x