It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Unread post by eli#10 »

He could consider being a red shirt this year.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Unread post by reef »

I can see him getting 10-15 minutes a game but we do have a log jam of guards so someone probably will be unhappy with their playing time
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Bassy needs to re-work his form/technique or his shooting ceiling will remain limited.

There are the occasional Lonzo Ball's out there that can shoot it ok even with a flawed technique but in general good shooters have good form. I have no idea how a kid with his other skills (quickness, passing, vision) didn't get his shot remade in high school when it was clear he could play at the next level. Bishop Hendricken, RI Elite and any other coach he has had failed him a bit in that regard.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Bassy needs to re-work his form/technique or his shooting ceiling will remain limited.

There are the occasional Lonzo Ball's out there that can shoot it ok even with a flawed technique but in general good shooters have good form. I have no idea how a kid with his other skills (quickness, passing, vision) didn't get his shot remade in high school when it was clear he could play at the next level. Bishop Hendricken, RI Elite and any other coach he has had failed him a bit in that regard.
It's probably like what's plagued Ben Simmons in his career, albeit on a smaller scale.

Simmons was so physically dominant and could get to the rim whenever he wanted, that he never really wanted to work on shooting.

Thomas was probably so quick and shifty, especially in the RIIL, that he could score in the lane and at the free throw line, that he didn't feel like need to work on his jumper as much as he would have if he played in a better league.

Just a complete guess on my part, but I think it has some merit to it.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Re-making one's shot is one step backwards before two, three, four ... steps forward. For this reason you don't do it in the middle of a season. This season will tell us what type of future Bassy has as a D1 basketball player. The longer you have been using inferior technique, the longer it takes to correct it. In the best of cases, you can't expect him to become an 80% FT shooter in one off-season.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When I think of shooters, I always go back to Magic Johnson. Ok, it's not fair to use one of the greatest players of all time. But he was a TERRIBLE shooter who became a very good shooter.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Bassy needs to re-work his form/technique or his shooting ceiling will remain limited.

Lonzo's form looks much better now.
Lonzo Form.jpg
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago When I think of shooters, I always go back to Magic Johnson. Ok, it's not fair to use one of the greatest players of all time. But he was a TERRIBLE shooter who became a very good shooter.
Jason Kidd did it as well. He was a solid shooter in his later years.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago When I think of shooters, I always go back to Magic Johnson. Ok, it's not fair to use one of the greatest players of all time. But he was a TERRIBLE shooter who became a very good shooter.
Jason Kidd did it as well. He was a solid shooter in his later years.
Yes, another good example.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Lonzo's form looks much better now.

Lonzo Form.jpg
Yep they finally remade Lonzo's shot after 4 years in the NBA.

And with guys like Lonzo, Magic and Simmons you can almost understand that it took a back seat when they were so elite at many other things with amazing god given athleticism. That isn't the case with Bassy.

It's a Carlos Easterling scenario...as soon as we got someone (Jason Alexander) who was almost as good at all the other things (passing, defense, running an offense) as he was but superior at shooting Carlos was marginalized to a role player.

It is really hard to be effective as a 6'0 PG in D1 if you can't shoot. Yuri Collins is a close comp in our league...he led the country in assists and has become at least a serviceable outside shooter over time.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Also like Lonzo the problem is that Thomas sets his shot in the middle of his body. He will never be consistent until he moves his release point closer to his left eye/shoulder. That will cause him to take 2 steps backwards but in long run will be better for his game. From the clips I have seen it doesn't look like much has changed in that regard.
2 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

I love Thomas because he is a local kid that dreamed of playing for our RAMS. If Cox had put together a better team, Bassy would have redshirted and been allowed to gain some strength, maturity, and confidence last year. It was a big jump for a player with his background. I agree with those who like his court awareness. I think he sees the floor better than anyone we have had in recent memory. He needs to gain strength to help him protect the ball better and get to the rim. He also needs to improve his shot. But do not dismiss his ability to distribute the ball and make good reads. That is a difficult skill to teach.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago I love Thomas because he is a local kid that dreamed of playing for our RAMS. If Cox had put together a better team, Bassy would have redshirted and been allowed to gain some strength, maturity, and confidence last year. It was a big jump for a player with his background. I agree with those who like his court awareness. I think he sees the floor better than anyone we have had in recent memory. He needs to gain strength to help him protect the ball better and get to the rim. He also needs to improve his shot. But do not dismiss his ability to distribute the ball and make good reads. That is a difficult skill to teach.
I'm not sure what you mean by recent memory, because Jeff Dowtin feels pretty recent to me. That said, I still think the early 90's were like 15-20 years ago, so I could be off too...
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
RJRam wrote: 1 year ago I love Thomas because he is a local kid that dreamed of playing for our RAMS. If Cox had put together a better team, Bassy would have redshirted and been allowed to gain some strength, maturity, and confidence last year. It was a big jump for a player with his background. I agree with those who like his court awareness. I think he sees the floor better than anyone we have had in recent memory. He needs to gain strength to help him protect the ball better and get to the rim. He also needs to improve his shot. But do not dismiss his ability to distribute the ball and make good reads. That is a difficult skill to teach.
I'm not sure what you mean by recent memory, because Jeff Dowtin feels pretty recent to me. That said, I still think the early 90's were like 15-20 years ago, so I could be off too...
Forgive me. JD feels pretty recent to me, too. Tough to defend my thoughts now. Jeff was also good at seeing the floor, and certainly had a beneficial height advantage and a great all-around game. But I think that as freshmen, Bassy may see the floor as well, or better. I think his decision making is quicker, but he certainly is not as good taking care of the ball or shooting. But that may come with strength and experience. He is no JD yet, and may never be. But I do think he has potential. Plus, I usually root for the local kids when possible.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

How could he have lost confidence because he got to play and even start in his first year of college basketball, at his dream school, at the A-10 level, after he reclassified???

Pretty sure he's quite confident in himself after he's already overachieved early in his career here.

I also don't see how people aren't more excited about him. Like he should have been a class of 22 guy, but he came in here and immediately proved he can play at this level despite the coaching he had last year. Now he's got Archie and his crew coaching him up. He might get recruited over, but it's pretty clear to me we at least have a very solid back up PG for the foreseeable future.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
How could he have lost confidence because he got to play and even start in his first year of college basketball, at his dream school, at the A-10 level, after he reclassified???

Pretty sure he's quite confident in himself after he's already overachieved early in his career here.

I also don't see how people aren't more excited about him. Like he should have been a class of 22 guy, but he came in here and immediately proved he can play at this level despite the coaching he had last year. Now he's got Archie and his crew coaching him up. He might get recruited over, but it's pretty clear to me we at least have a very solid back up PG for the foreseeable future.
Yeah I’m still quite bullish on Bassy , I’ll stick to my prediction that he will avg 10-15 minutes a game this year
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Remaking a guy’s shot is way more difficult than it would seem. Nothing gets fixed completely in an off-season, aim for incremental changes that are repeatable.
4 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I love Bassy because he is a local kid who wants to be here. My perception is he is constantly working to get better. He takes his weaknesses to heart and wants to improve and be a part of helping us win.

How can you not root for him?
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don’t know but there are plenty who don’t.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago I love Bassy because he is a local kid who wants to be here. My perception is he is constantly working to get better. He takes his weaknesses to heart and wants to improve and be a part of helping us win.

He is an easy kid to root for that's for sure.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago I love Bassy because he is a local kid who wants to be here. My perception is he is constantly working to get better. He takes his weaknesses to heart and wants to improve and be a part of helping us win.

There's a giant difference between not rooting for a player and thinking they won't be a major part of a tournament team. I haven't seen anyone not rooting for him, but it's a fair discussion to wonder if his shooting form limits his potential to the point where he might not be a major part of a tournament team
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

There's a giant difference between not rooting for a player and thinking they won't be a major part of a tournament team. I haven't seen anyone not rooting for him, but it's a fair discussion to wonder if his shooting form limits his potential to the point where he might not be a major part of a tournament team
Not sure if playing a major role is meaning becoming a starter at some point in the future.

Depending on how much Bray, Ant, and Weston contribute this season, I can see the possibility of Bassy, Ish, and Carey all moving on for 23-24.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago I don’t know but there are plenty who don’t.
There isn't one person on this board who isn't rooting for Thomas.
7 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote: 1 year ago
Great
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

STC wrote: 1 year ago
I've seen some pretty harsh takes about that kid, and even when he plays well, certain people refuse to acknowledge it...I do agree that most on here want him to succeed though.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He's pissed because Archie won't give him an interview.
5 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
1000%, Archie has done an interview with local guy Adam Bernstein, someone is a bit jealous…
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
1000%, Archie has done an interview with local guy Adam Bernstein, someone is a bit jealous…
He also did a 25 minute interview with Stone Freeman.
2 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Note the words used there -- 'unavailable to media.'

Rhody Vault isn't media. He's a fan running a content account -- which is fine. He's had some great guests and posted some throwback clips URI fans are certain to like. But that doesn't guarantee access or connections.

For the record, I haven't had any issues to date communicating with Archie Miller. He's been responsive every time I've reached out. And if that wasn't the case, I certainly wouldn't be airing my grievances on Twitter.
23 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree , not worried about this @ all . Indiana is a different animal than URI , just let Arch do his job I’m thinking he will be a top 3 all time coach @ URI when’s all said and done
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am not concerned about media availability at all - get the team together (he did that) and get them to win (next step). Winning will bring everything we want.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch wrote: 1 year ago Note the words used there -- 'unavailable to media.'

Rhody Vault isn't media. He's a fan running a content account -- which is fine. He's had some great guests and posted some throwback clips URI fans are certain to like. But that doesn't guarantee access or connections.

For the record, I haven't had any issues to date communicating with Archie Miller. He's been responsive every time I've reached out. And if that wasn't the case, I certainly wouldn't be airing my grievances on Twitter.
Bill, you should post these same comments on his twitter post. He is trying to make our coach look bad because he is butt hurt about Archie not granting him an interview.
6 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The guy has a lot to learn and some maturing to do if he really is trying to make a career out of this.
6 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

His tweet aside, that Athletic piece was brutal toward Archie.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago His tweet aside, that Athletic piece was brutal toward Archie.
The Hoosier alum and fans will never forgive Archie for going 0-7 against Purdue.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody Vault deleted my tweets questioning him on his comments, then he blocked me. Oh well...
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RV seems a bit insecure …
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

ace wrote: 1 year ago His tweet aside, that Athletic piece was brutal toward Archie.
Yes they were. But the quotes were all from former IU players that never played for him. Would have been more relevant to him as a coach if they were from players that played for him. Curious as to what they would say.

But not to understand the importance of reaching out to former IU players and the importance of doing that at Indiana is a little concerning. Hopefully he has learned from that experience but marketing and being well liked in the Community is part of the job of a college coach. This is not the NBA. And being 0-7 against Purdue for an Indiana coach is a big problem. Would we be happy with being 0-7 against PC? No we would not and it is even worse when you are in the same conference.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Rhody Vault deleted my tweets questioning him on his comments, then he blocked me. Oh well...
Are you kidding me? Wow
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago
Yes they were. But the quotes were all from former IU players that never played for him. Would have been more relevant to him as a coach if they were from players that played for him. Curious as to what they would say.

But not to understand the importance of reaching out to former IU players and the importance of doing that at Indiana is a little concerning. Hopefully he has learned from that experience but marketing and being well liked in the Community is part of the job of a college coach. This is not the NBA. And being 0-7 against Purdue for an Indiana coach is a big problem. Would we be happy with being 0-7 against PC? No we would not and it is even worse when you are in the same conference.
There's a big difference in being 0-7 against your rival and not granting Rhody Vault an interview. :lol: :lol: :lol:
3 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

The author of that article should trigger some PTSD amongst the native New Englanders
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Archie has been nothing short of being genuine since he’s arrived

I appreciate that vs some BSer with “coach speak”

He’s been a joy to listen to and to support

GO RHODY
3 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

I met Miller night prior to the FB golf tourney with a bunch of prominent boosters and to say everyone was surprised at how flat-lined his personality is would be the understatement of the year. Never seen a Coach like it. In any sport.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Geesh, he's still about 4 months from coaching a game and people are bitching about him. If you want personality, go talk to Kenny or Duane. They're loaded with it.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Geesh, he's still about 4 months from coaching a game and people are bitching about him. If you want personality, go talk to Kenny or Duane. They're loaded with it.
All I care about is that he builds a winning program.
That will take care of everything.

Dayton loved him and tried their hardest to keep him.

It's not like I am going out having beers with him.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago I met Miller night prior to the FB golf tourney with a bunch of prominent boosters and to say everyone was surprised at how flat-lined his personality is would be the understatement of the year. Never seen a Coach like it. In any sport.
What do you expect from the MBB coach at a FB event for one of the worst D1 FB programs?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Met Archie at the season tix holder event and he was nothing but genuine and talkative. Seems like an open guy to me.
0 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Archie gave this guy an interview.
https://youtu.be/KN0HE0WhPGw
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?: