Roster 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Roster 2022-23

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago It just seems that the general tenor of posters here is in total contrast with the general tenor after Cox was hired.

Like - I agree we all got Cox wrong, but how could we know? Yeah he was a 1st time HC, but with his pedigree, experience, and how he presented himself...how could we have seen that coming?

But now? People are "cautiously" optimistic.

Archie is a proven commodity. In this conference. Very recently.

Not for nothing he had 4 top 75 teams at Indiana and got shafted out of an NCAA appearance because of Covid.

Like...he's good. He's a good coach. We don't have to wonder how he'll be at URI. He'll be good. How do I know? Because he's been good at this level before. He's hired good assistants. How do I know they're good? Because they have come from very good schools, recruited very good players to those schools, were credited with developing P5 talent at those good schools, and have recruited good players to URI.

How do I know those players are good players? Well the majority of the offers we're sending out and getting commits from are up against all P5, top tier programs - unlike the last 4 years.

I just don't get why this board needs to go full-heel and just tamp down expectations because Dave Cox sucked.
Cautiously optimistic about his success in Year 1. There are levels to this. Everyone thinks Archie will win. The only hesitation I see is from folks who understand you don’t generally go from appearing in the play in game to top 3 in the league in 1 season. I’d venture to guess that’s never happened. And there have been many very very good coaches that have come into the league.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago It just seems that the general tenor of posters here is in total contrast with the general tenor after Cox was hired.

Like - I agree we all got Cox wrong, but how could we know? Yeah he was a 1st time HC, but with his pedigree, experience, and how he presented himself...how could we have seen that coming?

Not for nothing he had 4 top 75 teams at Indiana and got shafted out of an NCAA appearance because of Covid.

Like...he's good. He's a good coach. We don't have to wonder how he'll be at URI. He'll be good. How do I know? Because he's been good at this level before. He's hired good assistants. How do I know they're good? Because they have come from very good schools, recruited very good players to those schools, were credited with developing P5 talent at those good schools, and have recruited good players to URI.

How do I know those players are good players? Well the majority of the offers we're sending out and getting commits from are up against all P5, top tier programs - unlike the last 4 years.

I just don't get why this board needs to go full-heel and just tamp down expectations because Dave Cox sucked.
Cautiously optimistic about his success in Year 1. There are levels to this. Everyone thinks Archie will win. The only hesitation I see is from folks who understand you don’t generally go from appearing in the play in game to top 3 in the league in 1 season. I’d venture to guess that’s never happened. And there have been many very very good coaches that have come into the league.
Exactly. People are ecstatic about the Miller hire and fully expect him to be great. But, there’s usually a difference between taking over a program from a coach who has moved on (up?) than from a coach who has been fired, especially when that guy gutted the program. There’s more to build back up than to maintain. Getting your feelings hurt because everyone doesn’t expect dominance from day one is weird. It’s more fair to Archie and company to expect that it will take a minute.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Ehh things are different now

This is a new era because of the portal. We have three guys (Bray, Harris and Weston) that will impact us in a massive way that we otherwise would not have had the luxury of having if not for the transfer portal.

Great coaches in the past never had a luxury like the one time transfer rule. But I'm pretty sure every first year coach at Xavier immediately kicked everyone's ass in the A-10 lol

Turn arounds have sped up tremendously over the last year because of the portal.

I'm a Tennessee football fan and we went from 109th in scoring to 7th...in one year. How? A good (hopefully great) coach and the transfer portal! We had some pound puppies left over that needed love and coach added a big handful of guys from the portal that helped us do a complete 360 in year one. That improvement was unprecedented. We could see it here. Don't know if that would mean we are a tournament team

We have a GREAT A-10 coach. I'd go as far to say one of the best we have seen in this league. There pretty wasn't anyone more dominant than he was while he coached at Dayton. He retained five solid players. Added talent and experience from the portal. Wouldn't be surprising at all to see very drastic improvements across the board.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I have noticed this too. I'm not surprised however.

It's their nature. That's what they do. You need to somehow pay some sort of penance and keep your excitement in check because Cox failed miserably.

It's like "now, now, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. a lot of unknowns to this season. we should still be in the bottom half of the league."

B.S. We have the big KNOWN and that's Archie Miller himself. the guy is a winner, and he's way too competitive and smart, to be in the bottom half of the league, and the cupboard is not bare here. There are unknowns, but there is plenty to work with. Cohesiveness might have been an issue, with a lesser coach, but if anyone can get 13 guys to meet in the parking lot and play like a team, it's this guy.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Dream, get frustrated, be happy, get pissed, dance a little. Experience the whole roller coaster ride of fandom and enjoy it.

It’s June. Off season. The coaster cart is slowly climbing and my anticipation is too. I am enjoying the ride.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago

I have noticed this too. I'm not surprised however.

It's their nature. That's what they do. You need to somehow pay some sort of penance and keep your excitement in check because Cox failed miserably.

It's like "now, now, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. a lot of unknowns to this season. we should still be in the bottom half of the league."

B.S. We have the big KNOWN and that's Archie Miller himself. the guy is a winner, and he's way too competitive and smart, to be in the bottom half of the league, and the cupboard is not bare here. There are unknowns, but there is plenty to work with. Cohesiveness might have been an issue, with a lesser coach, but if anyone can get 13 guys to meet in the parking lot and play like a team, it's this guy.
What if the reason some people are cautiously optimistic for year 1 has absolutely nothing to do with Cox and more to do with the fact that this team building shit is hard, even for a really good coach? Why create a narrative and then get mad at people about the thing you imagined to be true? I don’t think anyone’s infringing upon your right to be wildly optimistic. Personally, I’m always inclined toward optimism in sports because it’s so low stakes, but I don’t care how you decide to fan.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

To me, Year 1 is a house money year. I wouldn’t say I have low expectations, it’s more like I have no expectations. Based on the quality of the coaches and their records of finding and developing players I wouldn’t be shocked if we are very good this year. On the other hand, if we’re not, it isn’t going to change anything about my longterm optimism and confidence about the direction the program is heading. There are just too many unknowns at this point for me to formulate a really good sense of what this season will look like and I don’t want to downplay or be dismissive of the challenges that a first year coach can have in turning a dumpster fire into a winning program.

Personally I’m not bothered at all if people want to be excited for this season and pumped full of optimism. What I would be bothered by is the ricochet effect where we are not on the bubble in February and ECR is screaming about cutting bait because he thought they were going to win 27 games. As long as our expectations don’t lead to that, have as high of expectations as you want.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The only hesitation I see is from folks who understand you don’t generally go from appearing in the play in game to top 3 in the league in 1 season. I’d venture to guess that’s never happened.
Modern Era (Most Recent Realignment)

2014: URI 11th 2015: URI 3rd
2019: Richmond 11th 2020: Richmond 2nd
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

So you’re saying there’s a chance!

Those 2 teams had young talented cores at all key positions being a different dynamic than our current roster composition. That said we have the portal era.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If you took this same team, with Archie Miller, a great field of assistants, 5 hold overs, and this influx of talent, including the A-10 All rookie team PG transferring within the same Conference, Weston and Harris, 2 bigs from Canada, and a player of the future in Hutchinson, and you transplanted them to Olean, NY, the Conference would be buzzing right now with Top 5 predictions. "Sleeper team of the year, watch out, you don't want to play these guys, they'll spoil your season and leapfrog you and steal your girl friend"

But, because it's Kingston, RI, instead of St. Bonny, everyone craps on us. Stay in the basement where you belong, you ain't got nothin'. You need three years to rebuild. Wipe that smirk off your face!

It's all crap. This team is going to be good, and if we are the only ones that can see it, so be it. That's the way it has always been, when we were beating Temple in Keaney Gym in the early 90's when everyone expected nothing out of us.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It's the off season. Even when we suck, I at least have a little hope that we might be good. I think the Patriots might be good this year, but they might suck. But I'm going to be optimistic about the Patriots, since it's the off season. Same thing with my Rams. That being said, I think we'll be good this year. Next year, I think we'll be very good. The year after that, I think we'll be very, very good....
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago If you took this same team, with Archie Miller, a great field of assistants, 5 hold overs, and this influx of talent, including the A-10 All rookie team PG transferring within the same Conference, Weston and Harris, 2 bigs from Canada, and a player of the future in Hutchinson, and you transplanted them to Olean, NY, the Conference would be buzzing right now with Top 5 predictions. "Sleeper team of the year, watch out, you don't want to play these guys, they'll spoil your season and leapfrog you and steal your girl friend"

But, because it's Kingston, RI, instead of St. Bonny, everyone craps on us. Stay in the basement where you belong, you ain't got nothin'. You need three years to rebuild. Wipe that smirk off your face!

It's all crap. This team is going to be good, and if we are the only ones that can see it, so be it. That's the way it has always been, when we were beating Temple in Keaney Gym in the early 90's when everyone expected nothing out of us.
I mean this whole post sounds ridiculous.

So we're supposed to get buzz because we have two relatively unknown recruits from Canada, and a potential redshirt play who *might* be good in a couple years?

Also, the 5 holdovers we have are from back to back under .500 teams, so that's not something to brag about.

Weston and Harris were big recruits out of high school yes, but have done nothing in college.

Pump the breaks, because everyone who is proclaiming us to be good/great, will be bitching when we're hovering around .500 for the first month or two.
2 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Some posters keep saying that Brandon and Ant haven't done 'anything' in college. They really haven't had a chance to do 'anything' in college due to injuries. Brandon played 1 game at Seton Hall. Ant played 21 games at North Carolina.If they are fully recovered from their injuries, and all indications are that they are, I expect them both to do 'something'. In fact, I expect them to do a lot more than 'something'.
2 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago If you took this same team, with Archie Miller, a great field of assistants, 5 hold overs, and this influx of talent, including the A-10 All rookie team PG transferring within the same Conference, Weston and Harris, 2 bigs from Canada, and a player of the future in Hutchinson, and you transplanted them to Olean, NY, the Conference would be buzzing right now with Top 5 predictions. "Sleeper team of the year, watch out, you don't want to play these guys, they'll spoil your season and leapfrog you and steal your girl friend"

So we're supposed to get buzz because we have two relatively unknown recruits from Canada, and a potential redshirt play who *might* be good in a couple years?

Also, the 5 holdovers we have are from back to back under .500 teams, so that's not something to brag about.

Weston and Harris were big recruits out of high school yes, but have done nothing in college.

Pump the breaks, because everyone who is proclaiming us to be good/great, will be bitching when we're hovering around .500 for the first month or two.
I'm somewhere in the middle on all of this. What's holding me back from being on Blueman's status is that we have four freshman with no D-I experience, and 3 of the 4 transfers with little to no D-I experience due to various reasons (covid, injuries, etc.) and that leaves our returners from a bad team. In other words, we have seven new guys with little to no D-I experience and a handful of leftovers from a bad team. Generally, that's not a recipe for immediate success unless you're a blue blood. But don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the season and think we will succeed long term because of the talent level of the transfers, freshman, and new coaching staff. But in terms of next year, it wouldn't surprise me if we finish anywhere from 4th through 12th.
1 x
Common sense is not common.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Pump the breaks, because everyone who is proclaiming us to be good/great, will be bitching when we're hovering around .500 for the first month or two.
And THERE you have it.

That's the reason why, BlueMan, I didn't bother to actually spell it out, because I knew if I just waited long enough someone would say it for me.

We can't proclaim us to be good/great, because heaven forbid we stumble, people might bitch.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I guess someone forgot to inform them that this was the KeanyBlue Bitch Forum.

People are liable to bitch about anything, on any topic, on any given moment. Even if we went undefeated, people would find something to bitch about.

Don't fear the bitchin'
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Some posters keep saying that Brandon and Ant haven't done 'anything' in college. They really haven't had a chance to do 'anything' in college due to injuries. Brandon played 1 game at Seton Hall. Ant played 21 games at North Carolina.If they are fully recovered from their injuries, and all indications are that they are, I expect them both to do 'something'. In fact, I expect them to do a lot more than 'something'.
I agree...Ant was a fan favorite with his high energy and ability to defend. He's a perfect example of a high major guard that comes down and has success in the A10. Weston was supposed to have a big role if healthy. We have a few people on here that are incredibly negative about literally everything. I don't expect much this year but I know we will be better as the season goes on and I'm excited to see our young guys develop.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Pump the breaks, because everyone who is proclaiming us to be good/great, will be bitching when we're hovering around .500 for the first month or two.
And THERE you have it.

That's the reason why, BlueMan, I didn't bother to actually spell it out, because I knew if I just waited long enough someone would say it for me.

We can't proclaim us to be good/great, because heaven forbid we stumble, people might bitch.
I think most of this board understands that this will take time. Anyone who complains if we aren't a top A10 team has unrealistic expectations. If we finish around 6-7, I think that's a great start from Archie.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
I think most of this board understands that this will take time. Anyone who complains if we aren't a top A10 team has unrealistic expectations. If we finish around 6-7, I think that's a great start from Archie.
You are about to be summoned to the wood shed by Thorr for saying such things.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I guess someone forgot to inform them that this was the KeanyBlue Bitch Forum.

People are liable to bitch about anything, on any topic, on any given moment. Even if we went undefeated, people would find something to bitch about.

Don't fear the bitchin'
I think on the other end it looks ridiculous when people get that worked up because others might be cautiously optimistic. Everyone on here is real excited with the guards we got, the coaching staff that is coming in and the foundation that Thorr has payed out. It is also fair to say that the front court players have never been seen by anyone on this board and are more under the radar players that still have question marks. Archie has a great plan in place and by keeping most of the core for three years it will give the players time to grow together. The bitchin is one thing, but it also sounds crazy when people expect us to win the A-10 next year or finish in the top 2-3 spots. Could they? Of course, because crazier things have happened, but I expect some growing periods with a very young front court
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm just proud of us all that despite everyone thinking Archie is a home run hire and that we'll be good we still found a way to argue about it! :D
3 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

I won Powerball!
(Money corrupts people)
I married the person of my dreams!
(They always end up cheating on you)
I've discovered the Fountain of Youth and achieved immortality!
(Everyone you know will die)
Every Ram will shoot 75% from the field!
(Our opponents will probably shoot 80%)

Above hypothetical call/response brought to you by the KB message board. :lol:
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Some posters keep saying that Brandon and Ant haven't done 'anything' in college. They really haven't had a chance to do 'anything' in college due to injuries. Brandon played 1 game at Seton Hall. Ant played 21 games at North Carolina.If they are fully recovered from their injuries, and all indications are that they are, I expect them both to do 'something'. In fact, I expect them to do a lot more than 'something'.
Nobody once has said they don't expect them to do "something" in the coming years.

They just haven't done anything to do point.

If they have, please show us bodies of work.

They haven't done anything in college, whether that injuries or something else (apparent off court issues for Harris this season.)

Harris played in a total of 25 games across three seasons. Most players play in 25 games in ONE season. He's scored in double figures twice in three seasons. Injuries happen for a multitude of reasons.

The best ability is availability, as they say.

Harris has had three season to do something productive in college, and for multiple reasons, hasn't. I'd say three years in college is "a chance to do anything" in college.

Weston was injured first game yes, so jury is still out on him.

But Harris has had plenty of chances/time to show what he can do on the court, and just flat out hasn't been productive.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

rivals)

BlueMan I think this board feels very positive about the direction of this program.

Many of us just haven't jumped on the Limoncello train like you for this upcoming season, with good reason.

There are currently just too many unknowns on this roster and the A10 happens to be very strong for 22-23.
My feelings have nothing to do with the disappointment we had with Cox.

For those into Prep/HS rankings:
Diggins (UMass)- #59 (both 247 and Rivals)
Carey - #61(247), #53 (Rivals)
Harris - #72 (247), #76 (Rivals)
Weston- #83 (247), #75 (Rivals)
I'm very curious to see how the prediction contest shakes out.

54/55 last year had Cox's team above .500. That's over 90%. 31/55 had the team winning 20 games. With all that had been shown, and even with people off the bandwagon (considering this was the least participated in contest ever), the positivity was overwhelming.

2 years prior (no contest during covid uncertainty), 92 posters had .500 or better. 61/90 had 20 win seasons.

And Dave Cox's first season - 21 picked records of 20 wins or better, absolutely no one picked under .500.

That year - you would think with all we lost and the new players coming back that you'd get the same "well let's not get too excited" approach to a brand new head coach.

We returned an all-conference rookie PG in Dowtin (like Bray). We returned a bench player in Fatts who would be a starter. We returned bench player who would be a starter in Langevine.

The rest of the team were all true freshmen.

I don't have a problem with people feeling however they want about the team, I'm just struggling with the lack of linear logic and near-hypocrisy.

There wasn't a single person tamping down expectations in year 1 of Cox - when we realistically should've been. Unproven coach, unproven players.

There is more basketball experience on Archie's roster than there was on Dave Cox's. Archie is an established and elite head basketball coach.

Our projected starters may be transfers - but between all-conference awards, and experience at big programs - there are more games on this roster than year one of Cox. You're returning 2 juniors and a senior who will be key role players. One maybe a starter.

Archie may be outwardly saying "we'll be good when we're good" at the podium to try and prevent the Indiana expectations from assaulting him. But at every practice he's saying - we're here to see who's playing for second place.

I just want someone to tell me they're being cautious because Dave Cox broke their heart and let them down so they can realize that they're tempering expectations in an illogical fashion. I'll disagree with it, but at least I'll understand it.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

There will be multiple people who predict us to win a minimum of 25+ games. Guarantee.

I believe Ramster picked them this season to be 25-6, which probably translates to him picking up to be 30-1 this year.
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

rivals)

BlueMan I think this board feels very positive about the direction of this program.

Many of us just haven't jumped on the Limoncello train like you for this upcoming season, with good reason.

There are currently just too many unknowns on this roster and the A10 happens to be very strong for 22-23.

54/55 last year had Cox's team above .500. That's over 90%. 31/55 had the team winning 20 games. With all that had been shown, and even with people off the bandwagon (considering this was the least participated in contest ever), the positivity was overwhelming.

2 years prior (no contest during covid uncertainty), 92 posters had .500 or better. 61/90 had 20 win seasons.

And Dave Cox's first season - 21 picked records of 20 wins or better, absolutely no one picked under .500.

That year - you would think with all we lost and the new players coming back that you'd get the same "well let's not get too excited" approach to a brand new head coach.

We returned an all-conference rookie PG in Dowtin (like Bray). We returned a bench player in Fatts who would be a starter. We returned bench player who would be a starter in Langevine.

I don't have a problem with people feeling however they want about the team, I'm just struggling with the lack of linear logic and near-hypocrisy.

There wasn't a single person tamping down expectations in year 1 of Cox - when we realistically should've been. Unproven coach, unproven players.

There is more basketball experience on Archie's roster than there was on Dave Cox's. Archie is an established and elite head basketball coach.

Our projected starters may be transfers - but between all-conference awards, and experience at big programs - there are more games on this roster than year one of Cox. You're returning 2 juniors and a senior who will be key role players. One maybe a starter.

Archie may be outwardly saying "we'll be good when we're good" at the podium to try and prevent the Indiana expectations from assaulting him. But at every practice he's saying - we're here to see who's playing for second place.

I just want someone to tell me they're being cautious because Dave Cox broke their heart and let them down so they can realize that they're tempering expectations in an illogical fashion. I'll disagree with it, but at least I'll understand it.
Whether you're talking the Rams, the Red Sox, or out here, the Texans, hope springs eternal when you aren't actually watching the team play. It's easier to talk yourself into, "Well maybe Davis Mills IS the quarterback of the future!" Going into the season, I think everyone is going to be optimistic, because it's more fun to root for the team to be good than like 8-8 in conference play.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago There will be multiple people who predict us to win a minimum of 25+ games. Guarantee.

I believe Ramster picked them this season to be 25-6, which probably translates to him picking up to be 30-1 this year.
I picked us to have a lot of wins last year because our schedule was horrible but we still sucked.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago There will be multiple people who predict us to win a minimum of 25+ games. Guarantee.

I picked us to have a lot of wins last year because our schedule was horrible but we still sucked.
I picked us to have 19 wins because I thought God hated us and that would've meant a Cox extension and my soul collapsing in on myself like a dying star.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I mean we're supposed to get buzz because we hired legitimately the best available coach in the country - with zero skeletons of recruiting violations hanging over his head.

Like this is a near-Harrick type hire. We should be buzzed accordingly.

I mean the sub-.500 team argument is irrelevant. I don't think anyone believes that if a half-competent coach had last years roster and schedule that the team would've performed anywhere near as poorly as they did.

I'm buzzed because I don't have to guess if our coach is going to be good or not. We went and got a good coach. Not an up-and-comer, not a first timer, but a good, established head coach. We're investing triple what we've ever invested in a HC before. We're investing double in assistants. Yeah, we should be buzzed.

I would also like to say, I confidently will not be bitching if we're at .500, just like I wasn't bitching through the Hurley years when people were complaining. If you can recognize good coaching/improvement, you'll just sit back and enjoy the ride. I bitched throughout the Cox show because I recognized in month one 4 years ago that we were totally fucked and he wasn't the right coach. I don't need the Archie demo, because I watched his teams beat us for the majority of Archie's time there.

Coaches are EVERYTHING in college basketball. Everything. So yeah, everyone should be in a "no-reservations" type buzz right now because we got a good one. If you're on the "wait and see" or "prove it to me" train, you're just wrong.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Amen
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You have no idea what I will pick this year because I don’t know what I’ll pick yet. My bet is this roster is still not final but I’ll await November to make my guess.

I’ve also won the Prediction Contest in the past with 90 participants fwiw.

1 more time than you.

And if me picking 30-1 bothers you that much then I might just go with 31-0.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I mean we're supposed to get buzz because we hired legitimately the best available coach in the country - with zero skeletons of recruiting violations hanging over his head.

I mean the sub-.500 team argument is irrelevant. I don't think anyone believes that if a half-competent coach had last years roster and schedule that the team would've performed anywhere near as poorly as they did.

I'm buzzed because I don't have to guess if our coach is going to be good or not. We went and got a good coach. Not an up-and-comer, not a first timer, but a good, established head coach. We're investing triple what we've ever invested in a HC before. We're investing double in assistants. Yeah, we should be buzzed.

I would also like to say, I confidently will not be bitching if we're at .500, just like I wasn't bitching through the Hurley years when people were complaining. If you can recognize good coaching/improvement, you'll just sit back and enjoy the ride. I bitched throughout the Cox show because I recognized in month one 4 years ago that we were totally fucked and he wasn't the right coach. I don't need the Archie demo, because I watched his teams beat us for the majority of Archie's time there.

Coaches are EVERYTHING in college basketball. Everything. So yeah, everyone should be in a "no-reservations" type buzz right now because we got a good one. If you're on the "wait and see" or "prove it to me" train, you're just wrong.
Pump the brakes, too much buzz, too much optimism, too much enthusiasm for season tickets…………

Didn’t we just go out and hire a seasoned Head Coach with NCAA appearances, whose father had coaching experience, whose brother has P5 Experience and he himself has P5 Experience — for $8.5 million over 5 years?

I’ve had 4 years of watching URI basketball underachieve, tired of the poor and steadily declining performance of Mens Basketball.

If being pessimistic, patient, taking a wait and see approach and criticizing the optimistic views of other posters floats your boat then more power to ya. It’s not for me.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

GODAMN I"M AMPED UP AFTER READING THIS! CAN THE SEASON START PLEASE!!!!!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

GODAMN I"M AMPED UP AFTER READING THIS! CAN THE SEASON START PLEASE!!!!!
It is not if we will be Really F'N Good, with Archie the only question is when! It could be this year (sure not super likely) but like Blue Man I am not fretting whether the guy can figure out how to be a good coach. He is a good coach and the team will be really good sooner then later.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

You have no idea what I will pick this year because I don’t know what I’ll pick yet. My bet is this roster is still not final but I’ll await November to make my guess.

1 more time than you.

Lol I won a couple years ago, but keep pounding your chest!
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Sheesh, you guys are taking this shit way too seriously. All you Francises, lighten up!
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You guys both won. You are the experts. The rest of us are mere onlookers.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 more time than you.

Lol I won a couple years ago, but keep pounding your chest!
You Won the PC contest
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago You guys both won. You are the experts. The rest of us are mere onlookers.
He pulled me into it criticizing my prediction in the contest. You predicted the exact same record as me last year. Do you even read posts? Or just snarky comment.

Just a stupid thread this has turned into. Heaven forbid posters be overly optimistic. PC fans hate it when Rhody fans have reason to be optimistic.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago You guys both won. You are the experts. The rest of us are mere onlookers.
He pulled me into it criticizing my prediction in the contest. You predicted the exact same record as me last year. Do you even read posts? Or just snarky comment.

Just a stupid thread this has turned into. Heaven forbid posters be overly optimistic. PC fans hate it when Rhody fans have reason to be optimistic.
Relax Ramster. I'm just busting your ass.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We are in such a good place. It's gonna be a fun year!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If I had to guess I will say 6-8 in the A10 but with the portal these days and the ability of Arch to Coach these guys up if we finish 3-5 it won’t totally surprise me
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rivals)

You know, I am going to be excited about this season because I am very optimistic about our future, regardless of how we finish this season since I am giving Archie a pass for 22-23 anyway.

It should be fun to watch and see this team mesh.

I guess we don't have much else to discuss because the team is going thru summer workouts and July is basically a dead recruiting period.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You know, I am going to be excited about this season because I am very optimistic about our future, regardless of how we finish this season since I am giving Archie a pass for 22-23 anyway.

It should be fun to watch and see this team mesh.

I guess we don't have much else to discuss because the team is going thru summer workouts and July is basically a dead recruiting period.
This will be a fun team to watch grow and will be an easy team to root for lots of likeable players
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

To me the general tenor isn't really surprising. After Cox was hired we had a young core that had tournament experience with a top recruiting class coming in. It was one of the best times going to be a Rhody fan. Right now we're coming off of two terrible seasons, have a great A10 coach and a roster loaded with potential but unproven in most every way. There's a lot to be excited about going forward, but we're only creating momentum now as opposed to having things rolling back then
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And THERE you have it.

It's not just that some people might bitch, it's that it's most of the same people saying "WHY WON'T YOU CALL US GREAT1" will be the same ones screaming "WHY DON'T WE FIRE HIM!" Some perspective and moderation is ok
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And I seriously can't believe this board has made me of all people have to be the person making the argument for perspective and moderation.....
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

To me the general tenor isn't really surprising. After Cox was hired we had a young core that had tournament experience with a top recruiting class coming in. It was one of the best times going to be a Rhody fan. Right now we're coming off of two terrible seasons, have a great A10 coach and a roster loaded with potential but unproven in most every way. There's a lot to be excited about going forward, but we're only creating momentum now as opposed to having things rolling back then
March/April of 2018 was a wild time on this board. A lot of people were all in on Cox. Part of that was in a eff Hurley kind of way and part of it was that people had talked themselves into Cox being the real reason the team had been performing well. I believe it was BM himself who claimed that Hurley was a good rebuilder but that it was Cox who could take them and elevate it. They had the culture, they had the recruits, they had the momentum, they had Jeff and Cyril and Fatts as guys who were busting in on press conferences and making the team theirs. It certainly will be fun to get back to that.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago It's not just that some people might bitch, it's that it's most of the same people saying "WHY WON'T YOU CALL US GREAT1" will be the same ones screaming "WHY DON'T WE FIRE HIM!" Some perspective and moderation is ok
No one is going to be calling for his firing. This is just paranoia at this point.

When people were calling for Hurley to be fired on this board, I was so disgusted by it, I left the site for a couple of years. They could give Jim Baron 11 years to do nothing and Jerry DeGregorio 2 years to do less than nothing, but they can't allow for a down year or two from a top tier coach? They're blow hards.

Yes, there are delusional fans, but when you get a prime coach like a Harrick, or a Hurley, or in this case an Archie Miller, and you have a down year and people are acting stupid, just ignore them. They don't know what they are talking about. I think most people would realize that. It's just noise.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ace wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

March/April of 2018 was a wild time on this board. A lot of people were all in on Cox. Part of that was in a eff Hurley kind of way and part of it was that people had talked themselves into Cox being the real reason the team had been performing well. I believe it was BM himself who claimed that Hurley was a good rebuilder but that it was Cox who could take them and elevate it. They had the culture, they had the recruits, they had the momentum, they had Jeff and Cyril and Fatts as guys who were busting in on press conferences and making the team theirs. It certainly will be fun to get back to that.
It's definitely findable - but I thought, at the time, that Dave Cox would be able to make adjustments I don't think Danny will.

What I love about Dan is that he is playing his style, his team will outwork you, and he will force you to play that way.

What could be frustrating about Dan is exactly the same thing. And I do believe he himself brought up Dave convincing him to switch to a zone D in a certain game when we were getting beaten off the dribble. I never thought Dan limited himself to being a "rebuilder" but I do agree (and still do) that his teams will go as far as the matchups dictate in the NCAA tourney. He wasn't going to outcoach a Coach K, but his team could outwork anyone.

If our 2018 team didn't have to face Duke, Mich St or Kansas that year, I truly believe we were a final four team. Just all about matchups.

I had thought (obviously incorrectly) that Cox would be able to mirror those same type of adjustments in in-game coaching.

I still would've rather had Dan stay, but I understood why he left and I was more angry at URI for not making the commitments that it took 4 years of failure to make.

Cox was the right choice at the time (both due to contractual reasons and otherwise). I'll stand by that. It obviously didn't work out, but there was no way to predict how bad it would've been.

So yes, I was all in on Cox, as any fan should be, until I was shown a reason to not be. Just so happened that it was one month later in December when it was pretty apparent this dude was in way over his head.

And I can't tell if the subtext about people calling for firing is about me - but I'm pretty sure my points are dead on. Never jumped off the Hurley bandwagon, was probably one of like 3 people who were holding the line throughout his tenure. Cox I was on board until there was reason not to be. Archie has already proven himself to be a great head coach, so I know we have the right guy, and I'll be challenging any and all to physical combat at the Ryan Center if they plan to jump off the bandwagon.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL