Roster 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Roster 2022-23

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Probably just a mistake, but I find it surprising that we list Samb as a Soph. and Weston as a RFr.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not counting staff changes (obvious upgrade) any thoughts on comparing roster loses to additions (21-22/22-23):
Mitchell twins - Foumena, Bilau
Walker - Rory
Shep - Bray
E.A. - Ant
AB, Tres - Weston
Ileri - Hutch
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Major upgrade in the backcourt
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Probably just a mistake, but I find it surprising that we list Samb as a Soph. and Weston as a RFr.
Fixed: https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The guys worked with Special Olympics today. The players shown here are Parnell, Ish and Bray in the front. Jo and Justin are in the back. Who is Justin? A walk-on, possibly?

2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago The guys worked with Special Olympics today. The players shown here are Parnell, Ish and Bray in the front. Jo and Justin are in the back. Who is Justin? A walk-on, possibly?

Ok, I think I figured it out. I think that's Justin Mazzulla.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago The guys worked with Special Olympics today. The players shown here are Parnell, Ish and Bray in the front. Jo and Justin are in the back. Who is Justin? A walk-on, possibly?

Ok, I think I figured it out. I think that's Justin Mazzulla.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

If it is Justin Mazzulla as Grad Asst, I like it. He comes from a wonderful family. His dad and grandad were dedicated to community service and an honor to know. His grandad was my first basketball coach.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago If it is Justin Mazzulla as Grad Asst, I like it. He comes from a wonderful family. His dad and grandad were dedicated to community service and an honor to know. His grandad was my first basketball coach.
Is Justin related to Joe Mazzulla former WVU point guard and current assistant coach for the Celtics??
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Justin is Joe’s younger brother.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, Justin is a GA. Maybe he has coaching aspirations like his brother Joe. Joe is highly regarded and potentially a future NBA head coach. Justin could be an up and comer.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Yes, as 74 and 78 posted, Joe and Justin are brothers.

Dan, Jr. (or, Danny as he was mostly known as) was their dad. Danny (Dan, Jr.) played at Johnston HS in the 70’s, Bryant after that and then professionally in South America. I think he had another son too? I’m not sure. But, Justin was Danny’s youngest.

Mr Mazzulla (Dan Sr) was father to a very accomplished bb family. Danny, his oldest, played at Bryant and professionally. His grand daughter played for the woman’s team at PC. Then of course, his grandsons (Danny’s sons) Joe and Justin played at WV (Joe) and GW (Justin before transferring to Vermont).

Plus, Dan Sr was a coach (he was also Head of Recreation in Johnston until his passing and Dan Jr later held the same position). And, another of his sons coached the girls team at Johnston.

Mr. Mazzulla, besides Danny, had at least 4 or 5 other children and all the boys were very good bb players. A large, respected, community minded family. And, a very accomplished basketball family. Quality people.

Danny and I never played together (except for a pick up game here or there) as he was 4 years my elder - but we knew each other well. We got to reconnect some a few years before his passing. It was always great to see him and talk about Joe and Justin and some hoops in general.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Yes, as 74 and 78 posted, Joe and Justin are brothers.

Dan, Jr. (or, Danny as he was mostly known as) was their dad. Danny (Dan, Jr.) played at Johnston HS in the 70’s, Bryant after that and then professionally in South America. I think he had another son too? I’m not sure. But, Justin was Danny’s youngest.

Mr Mazzulla (Dan Sr) was father to a very accomplished bb family. Danny, his oldest, played at Bryant and professionally. His grand daughter played for the woman’s team at PC. Then of course, his grandsons (Danny’s sons) Joe and Justin played at WV (Joe) and GW (Justin before transferring to Vermont).

Plus, Dan Sr was a coach (he was also Head of Recreation in Johnston until his passing and Dan Jr later held the same position). And, another of his sons coached the girls team at Johnston.

Mr. Mazzulla, besides Danny, had at least 4 or 5 other children and all the boys were very good bb players. A large, respected, community minded family. And, a very accomplished basketball family. Quality people.

Danny and I never played together (except for a pick up game here or there) as he was 4 years my elder - but we knew each other well. We got to reconnect some a few years before his passing. It was always great to see him and talk about Joe and Justin and some hoops in general.
I remember a Mazzulla being the Johnston point guard 86 Ish part of that great family

I read that on Joe Mazzulla also probably will be an NBA head coach in a few years he’s only 32
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Yes, as 74 and 78 posted, Joe and Justin are brothers.

I remember a Mazzulla being the Johnston point guard 86 Ish part of that great family

I read that on Joe Mazzulla also probably will be an NBA head coach in a few years he’s only 32
If you watch the Celtics, Joe is in Ime's ear a lot.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Yes, Justin is a GA. Maybe he has coaching aspirations like his brother Joe. Joe is highly regarded and potentially a future NBA head coach. Justin could be an up and comer.
I remember Dan Jr. I don't think I played against him in high school, but he was around that time and he was well known across the state as a player.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Reef, in ‘86 that could have been Dan Jr’s (Danny) youngest brother. I don’t recall his first name.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Yes, Justin is a GA. Maybe he has coaching aspirations like his brother Joe. Joe is highly regarded and potentially a future NBA head coach. Justin could be an up and comer.
I remember Dan Jr. I don't think I played against him in high school, but he was around that time and he was well known across the state as a player.
Danny played at Johnston approx 72-76. Him and Paul Aiello played on the same team and graduated together. Paul was recruited by PC and went there and Danny went to Bryant on a scholly. Danny was a tough player. Had a nice jumper and played with an edge on defense.

I was 4 years behind that group but knew them well. They were close with my junior high coach and would come by the junior high for pick up games often.

Tommy Box and Mike Pagliaro also played with Danny and Paul. Box also played at Bryant and Pagliaro played at Quinnipiac.

Although I was in junior high at the time I would go to a lot of their games. There was a lot of good bb talent around RI in that period. Central was always loaded and I recall LaSalle and S. Kingstown being good, too.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Danny played at Johnston approx 72-76. Him and Paul Aiello played on the same team and graduated together. Paul was recruited by PC and went there and Danny went to Bryant on a scholly. Danny was a tough player. Had a nice jumper and played with an edge on defense.

I was 4 years behind that group but knew them well. They were close with my junior high coach and would come by the junior high for pick up games often.

Tommy Box and Mike Pagliaro also played with Danny and Paul. Box also played at Bryant and Pagliaro played at Quinnipiac.

Although I was in junior high at the time I would go to a lot of their games. There was a lot of good bb talent around RI in that period. Central was always loaded and I recall LaSalle and S. Kingstown being good, too.
Yeah, I graduated in '74. I just read that Danny started varsity for 3 years, '74, '75 and '76 and Johnston won the D2 championship in his first 2 years. Central was dominating D1 at the time.
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

The mask was because they were working with Special Olympics and I'm sure they were taking precautions with the athletes since many of them already have weakened immune systems.
9 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If you watch the Celtics, Joe is in Ime's ear a lot.
The Celtics have certain assistants break down the scout for the upcoming team , Joe had the Miami scout and was seen on the sidelines more in that series , he also was the coach of the summer league team last year
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Split out all the mask posts, except for the one by Twisted giving an explanation. Future posts about them in this topic will result in suspensions. Thanks.
8 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

so whose jersey is everyone buying this year? I need to buy one as a symbol/momento of the first year under Archie, but I have no clue which player I want to burden with the pressure that comes from me wearing their jersey.

For historical perspective, I bought an EC, a Jarvis (which turned into a Fatts the next season), then a Harris, then a Fatts.

I also just realized I need to get away from the 1s and 0s because I may be a jinx for these players...
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 1 year ago so whose jersey is everyone buying this year? I need to buy one as a symbol/momento of the first year under Archie, but I have no clue which player I want to burden with the pressure that comes from me wearing their jersey.

For historical perspective, I bought an EC, a Jarvis (which turned into a Fatts the next season), then a Harris, then a Fatts.

I also just realized I need to get away from the 1s and 0s because I may be a jinx for these players...
Thats a really tough call! I think maybe I would go either Freeman or Weston. Between injury question marks, so many young players, and transfer possibilities, buying specific player jerseys is a dangerous game these days!! :lol:
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

No mask discussion at all. If you have questions about Ryan Center policy in the coming year, send them an email. Thanks guys.
8 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

What is the one day record for most post deleted? Am I close?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago What is the one day record for most post deleted? Am I close?
Fine - Take a couple days off instead.
10 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hah! The Giants Fan is in jail lol.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This roster is only possible because of the change in transfer rules. Take a chance on some guys moving down a level and being immediately available, take a chance on some recruits who, if they don’t work out, you don’t feel so bad about asking them to move on after a season or two.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Hah! The Giants Fan is in jail lol.
Same cell as Elm City Rhody? Wonder if he was able to take his wonder dog along?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Most balanced roster on paper in a long time. (Judging by size and ability.) Bigger than 17' and 18' but guard play is similar.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Most balanced roster on paper in a long time. (Judging by size and ability.) Bigger than 17' and 18' but guard play is similar.
When our 3 freshman are ready to play, (not sure if that will be this year), we can put out a lineup of Harris, Weston, Hutchinson, Stewart and Foumena on the floor together. That's a big team....6'4", 6'5", 6'7", 6'9", 6'11".
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Most balanced roster on paper in a long time. (Judging by size and ability.) Bigger than 17' and 18' but guard play is similar.
When our 3 freshman are ready to play, (not sure if that will be this year), we can put out a lineup of Harris, Weston, Hutchinson, Stewart and Foumena on the floor together. That's a big team....6'4", 6'5", 6'7", 6'9", 6'11".
If, IF Ant Harris stays his full term, that '24-25 team could be one of the best ever at URI.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This is dumbfounding to me…how is guard play similar when 17-18 had 3-4 guys who had already proven to be stars at this level? Like games aren’t won on paper or on couple years ago recruiting rankings. How can we compare guys you’ve never seen play to EC, Jared, Jeff, Jarvis and Stan when besides Bray they haven’t proven anything yet?

I’m a glass half full guy and there is loads of potential but assuming guys play up to their rankings is fools gold and comparing them to multiple all time greats before they score a point in Keaney Blue is silly.
6 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
This is dumbfounding to me…how is guard play similar when 17-18 had 3-4 guys who had already proven to be stars at this level? Like games aren’t won on paper or on couple years ago recruiting rankings. How can we compare guys you’ve never seen play to EC, Jared, Jeff, Jarvis and Stan when besides Bray they haven’t proven anything yet?

I’m a glass half full guy and there is loads of potential but assuming guys play up to their rankings is fools gold and comparing them to multiple all time greats before they score a point in Keaney Blue is silly.
I feel like some people are trying to show their support of and enthusiasm for Miller so much that they’re just kind of losing their minds and not making sense. Imagine thinking you even know who will be on the 24-25 roster, let alone thinking they are going to be one of the best ever. It beats being miserable, I guess.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

**************Potentially be.
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ace wrote: 1 year ago

I feel like some people are trying to show their support of and enthusiasm for Miller so much that they’re just kind of losing their minds and not making sense. Imagine thinking you even know who will be on the 24-25 roster, let alone thinking they are going to be one of the best ever. It beats being miserable, I guess.
I mean "could" is the key verb here. It is making the assumption that everything stays as it does right now and projects as expected.

For June on a college basketball message board, I think 'could" is a fair game type of post.

Like yeah, who could possibly predict what's happening in 2 years. It's almost like that's part of the fun of message boards is trying to think what could happen.

I mean the sun could explode tomorrow and all of this is pointless - but in not choosing to go down that route of thinking, I'm taking my 35 years of following this team intently, taking rankings/size/coaching into consideration, and making a bold prediction. Maybe it'll come true. Maybe it won't.

But considering we have almost 6 months until a ball is tipped, there's really nothing else to talk about here but wild speculation.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This is dumbfounding to me…how is guard play similar when 17-18 had 3-4 guys who had already proven to be stars at this level? Like games aren't won on paper or on couple years ago recruiting rankings. How can we compare guys you've never seen play to EC, Jared, Jeff, Jarvis and Stan when besides Bray they haven't proven anything yet?

I'm a glass half full guy and there is loads of potential but assuming guys play up to their rankings is fools gold and comparing them to multiple all time greats before they score a point in Keaney Blue is silly.
I feel like some people are trying to show their support of and enthusiasm for Miller so much that they're just kind of losing their minds and not making sense. Imagine thinking you even know who will be on the 24-25 roster, let alone thinking they are going to be one of the best ever. It beats being miserable, I guess.
I agree with you Bar. We have to see how these guys develop before saying they are even close to the level of guys EC and Jeff.. But if we don't expect to be an excellent team by 24-25, why did we drop all this money to land Archie and this staff?. We will lose players just like any other program but I expect Archie to keep core pieces and improve this program each season. I believe the 24-25 team will be a tournament team. Since we don't make the tournament much, I don't find it unreasonable to expect that team to be one of the better teams we've seen at Rhody.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

I mean "could" is the key verb here. It is making the assumption that everything stays as it does right now and projects as expected.

For June on a college basketball message board, I think 'could" is a fair game type of post.

Like yeah, who could possibly predict what's happening in 2 years. It's almost like that's part of the fun of message boards is trying to think what could happen.

I mean the sun could explode tomorrow and all of this is pointless - but in not choosing to go down that route of thinking, I'm taking my 35 years of following this team intently, taking rankings/size/coaching into consideration, and making a bold prediction. Maybe it'll come true. Maybe it won't.

But considering we have almost 6 months until a ball is tipped, there's really nothing else to talk about here but wild speculation.
Knock yourself out, go crazy. We all know how you operate by now. Maybe Archie is coaching Pitt two years from now ;) (no, I don’t actually think that’s happening)
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

This is dumbfounding to me…how is guard play similar when 17-18 had 3-4 guys who had already proven to be stars at this level? Like games aren't won on paper or on couple years ago recruiting rankings. How can we compare guys you've never seen play to EC, Jared, Jeff, Jarvis and Stan when besides Bray they haven't proven anything yet?

I'm a glass half full guy and there is loads of potential but assuming guys play up to their rankings is fools gold and comparing them to multiple all time greats before they score a point in Keaney Blue is silly.
I feel like some people are trying to show their support of and enthusiasm for Miller so much that they're just kind of losing their minds and not making sense. Imagine thinking you even know who will be on the 24-25 roster, let alone thinking they are going to be one of the best ever. It beats being miserable, I guess.
I agree with you Bar. We have to see how these guys develop before saying they are even close to the level of guys EC and Jeff.. But if we don't expect to be an excellent team by 24-25, why did we drop all this money to land Archie and this staff?. We will lose players just like any other program but I expect Archie to keep core pieces and improve this program each season. I believe the 24-25 team will be a tournament team. Since we don't make the tournament much, I don't find it unreasonable to expect that team to be one of the better teams we've seen at Rhody.
That’s what to be excited about, imo. The money, the other resources, the seemingly good judgment on hiring. I am more excited about that longer term than any specific player they’ve brought in. Archie’s preaching loyalty and all that right now because that’s what he should be doing, but he is not going to be shy about making personnel changes when he thinks they’re needed.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

For sure Stevey, and yes if we aren't a tourney team in Archie's Year 3 then something has gone colossally wrong here. And I'm 99% sure that isn't the case and we will be very good at some point in the future. I just stop short of comparing new guys I have never seen play to 3 of our all time greats (EC, Terrell and Jeff).
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago **************Potentially be.
Show me where in your comment you said "potentially" or "could be" bc maybe I missed -- but you literally compared guys you have never seen dribble a ball to 3 all time greats. If only it were that easy to build a winning team.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Why are people jumping on the enthusiasm of some posters? We just signed a coach to a 5 year, $9.5M contract. Results are expected.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Why are people jumping on the enthusiasm of some posters? We just signed a coach to a 5 year, $9.5M contract. Results are expected.
Bc it's the offseason and we have nothing better to do ;)

I agree expectations are up and the should be but unless Archie's bank account is shooting the threes and boxing out what we pay our coach matters little in terms of the on court production of guys he has brought in on his first few months on the job.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's really not that crazy. Not to shit on our programs history and the history of the A-10 but.. all they have to do is be all time great Atlantic 10 players.

As far as guards go it's not very unlikely.

Asking a couple four star guys with experience at UNC and Seton Hall (Weston had practice and strength and conditioning for a year) to be good to great A-10 players really isn't asking that much of guys with their pedigree. Especially when coached by Archie Miller, who has molded several great A-10 players already.

You can pretty much guarantee Bray will be really good here. He was an all freshman player at a total dumpster fire at GW and like how many all freshman A-10 players wind up sucking? Like zero.

Ish is already solid. We know he can be good. Carey was arguably our best/most consistent guy last year after being horrendous his first year here. Bassy was a surprise. Hutchinson we know nothing.

Really not crazy to protect that group can be really good with this coaching staff.

Harder to projtect the frontcourt to be all time great. None of them have proven much at all. But as we've seen you don't need great frontcourt players to win in this league.

We dominated in 17-18 with Cyril and Berry. Just need those guys to play solid.

I see your point though, I think it kinda goes without saying that these players might not be great. We all know how to be pessimistic with this program. Don't need to remind us how lol
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

It just seems that the general tenor of posters here is in total contrast with the general tenor after Cox was hired.

Like - I agree we all got Cox wrong, but how could we know? Yeah he was a 1st time HC, but with his pedigree, experience, and how he presented himself...how could we have seen that coming?

But now? People are "cautiously" optimistic.

Archie is a proven commodity. In this conference. Very recently.

Not for nothing he had 4 top 75 teams at Indiana and got shafted out of an NCAA appearance because of Covid.

Like...he's good. He's a good coach. We don't have to wonder how he'll be at URI. He'll be good. How do I know? Because he's been good at this level before. He's hired good assistants. How do I know they're good? Because they have come from very good schools, recruited very good players to those schools, were credited with developing P5 talent at those good schools, and have recruited good players to URI.

How do I know those players are good players? Well the majority of the offers we're sending out and getting commits from are up against all P5, top tier programs - unlike the last 4 years.

I just don't get why this board needs to go full-heel and just tamp down expectations because Dave Cox sucked.
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’ll stick to the 3 year plan

Year 1 show solid improvement
Year 2 NCAA bubble most likely NIT
Year 3. NCAA tournament
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago I’ll stick to the 3 year plan

Year 3. NCAA tournament
That’s about what should be expected. If it’s better than that (like NIT this year), then we can go crazy.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago **************Potentially be.
Show me where in your comment you said "potentially" or "could be" bc maybe I missed -- but you literally compared guys you have never seen dribble a ball to 3 all time greats. If only it were that easy to build a winning team.
Outside of EC/Jared, I can see our current guards being as good/better than 17/18'. Potentially.
1 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago I’ll stick to the 3 year plan

Year 3. NCAA tournament
Agree with you Reef on this scenario. My expectations as well.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago It just seems that the general tenor of posters here is in total contrast with the general tenor after Cox was hired.

Like - I agree we all got Cox wrong, but how could we know? Yeah he was a 1st time HC, but with his pedigree, experience, and how he presented himself...how could we have seen that coming?

But now? People are "cautiously" optimistic.

Archie is a proven commodity. In this conference. Very recently.

Not for nothing he had 4 top 75 teams at Indiana and got shafted out of an NCAA appearance because of Covid.

Like...he's good. He's a good coach. We don't have to wonder how he'll be at URI. He'll be good. How do I know? Because he's been good at this level before. He's hired good assistants. How do I know they're good? Because they have come from very good schools, recruited very good players to those schools, were credited with developing P5 talent at those good schools, and have recruited good players to URI.
rivals)

How do I know those players are good players? Well the majority of the offers we're sending out and getting commits from are up against all P5, top tier programs - unlike the last 4 years.

I just don't get why this board needs to go full-heel and just tamp down expectations because Dave Cox sucked.
BlueMan I think this board feels very positive about the direction of this program.

Many of us just haven't jumped on the Limoncello train like you for this upcoming season, with good reason.

There are currently just too many unknowns on this roster and the A10 happens to be very strong for 22-23.
My feelings have nothing to do with the disappointment we had with Cox.

For those into Prep/HS rankings:
Diggins (UMass)- #59 (both 247 and Rivals)
Carey - #61(247), #53 (Rivals)
Harris - #72 (247), #76 (Rivals)
Weston- #83 (247), #75 (Rivals)
0 x