A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Running Ram wrote: 1 year ago yes, but he's ten thousand and twelve percent committed, so there's that.
Math is hard.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago

I was cautiously optimistic last year. Look where it got us.
I’m in that club,74.

In the words of George Bush, the younger…Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, don’t fool me again. Or, something to that affect.
Being optimistic that a Dave Cox team was going to do well after all we had seen, was stupid and is a personal problem.

Being purposely pessimistic that an Archie Miller team is going to disappoint because a Dave Cox team did is also really stupid and lacks logic.

I don’t see us as an NCAA team, but I think we’ll be a good team.

Please just don’t compare this team to any team in the last 4 years.
Don’t forget the qualifier used: the word, cautiously. Certainly not a sure thing and probably closer to hopeful on my spectrum of optimism. Or, maybe it is closer to hopelessly optimistic which, may be closer to delusional. Shit, brain fart…now I forgot the hell am I talking about.

Anyway, I can’t speak for 74, but I’ve certainly had times over the past 45 years plus where Rhody basketball has made me illogical, stupid, delusional, pessimistic, ECR like optimistic, Jersey like logical. I recognize it for what it is, my personal Rhody fan pilgrimage towards Final Four heaven. :D

Onward pilgrim soldiers. Hope to see you all there someday.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Running Ram wrote: 1 year ago yes, but he's ten thousand and twelve percent committed, so there's that.
Math is hard.
Speaking of ten thousand and twelve percent and math being hard, I had a math prof my freshman year but can’t remember his name. It was an 8am class. The guy was brilliant. Maybe, too brilliant?

He would come to class with multiple pieces of tissue stuck to his face because he would always cut himself shaving. Then, I’m walking across the Quad one day and I see him walking when he just suddenly stops dead in his tracks, looks up at the sky and just stares at it for at least a minute.

Needless to say, I avoided as many 8am classes and math classes I could after that.

To stay on topic…all Rhody bb recruits should avoid 8am math classes.

Just trying to breathe some life into the board as we enter the summer slow season. Carry on.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Just curious....did he post a "not committed" (to UMass) before committing (to UMass)?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Just curious....did he post a "not committed" (to UMass) before committing (to UMass)?
I say he is One thousand and twelve percent #notcommitted. However, that is less than ten thousand and twelve percent so, my confidence level is much lower in answering your question, NYG.
:lol:
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Math is hard.
This day in age, that means there’s a 40% chance he transfers after his sophomore year…
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Thought I would take a look at Loyola/Chicago since Lunardi has them on the Bubble and next 4 out for 2023.
This would project them as a top 5 A10 team.
Valentine assembled a full roster with a good mix of size, transfers, and freshmen recruits.

Possible Rotation
Guards:
Braden Norris - All MVC PG averaged 10.4 pts/ 4 assisits
Marquise Kennedy - Averaged 8 pts/ 4.2 rebs
Sheldon Edwards - Valpo transfer 11.4 pts/ 4 rebs

Forwards:
Jeameril Wilson - Lehigh transfer 11.2 pts/ 43% 3pt/ 5 rebs
Phillip Alston- Div.11 All-American, averaged 21 pts/ 11 rebs

Center:
Bryce Golden - Grant's brother, 6'9" started every game at Butler last season averaged 9 pts.
Jacob Hutson- He is 6'11"/250, started 19 games for them last season.

Didn't include several freshmen recruits, RFr, and some other bench players.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Appreciate the write up, Jersey.

Could be a 3 bid, maybe even a 4 bid league this year if the teams do well in the non-conference schedule and the conference catches some breaks.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Appreciate the write up, Jersey.

Could be a 3 bid, maybe even a 4 bid league this year if the teams do well in the non-conference schedule and the conference catches some breaks.
Thanks JD

Yes, this season the A10 has a good opportunity to get more than 2 teams in the NCAAT.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Good pickup for SBU
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago
Math is hard.
This day in age, that means there’s a 40% chance he transfers after his sophomore year…
It’s ironic that all these players put on their pictures “Committed” when there has never been less Commitment
In College Basketball.
Maybe should be Committed for the next 9 months then I’ll be back on the open market?
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Math is hard.
It’s ironic that all these players put on their pictures “Committed” when there has never been less Commitment
In College Basketball.
Maybe should be Committed for the next 9 months then I’ll be back on the open market?
"Committed (for now)" or "Committed (until I am not)"
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago

In College Basketball.
Yep. Or just pick another word. Committed just doesn’t fit or apply anymore. Kind of like Senior Night is quickly losing its luster.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Kind of like “til death do us part” in marriages these days.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It should just be "committed" with air quotes and a wink and everyone will get the gist ...
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I preferred it like it was back in my day, when players were at a college for life and you had to use the ladder to get the ball out of the peach bucket after each basket.
7 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago

In College Basketball.
Yep. Or just pick another word. Committed just doesn’t fit or apply anymore. Kind of like Senior Night is quickly losing its luster.
#notyetuncommitted :D
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4 days ago from Rothstein…
Source: Toumani Camara is withdrawing from the 2022 NBA Draft and will return to Dayton next season. Averaged 10.9 PPG and 6.9 RPG last year.

Significant Atlantic 10 News.

Flyers should be an NCAA Tournament team in 2023.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I preferred it like it was back in my day, when players were at a college for life and you had to use the ladder to get the ball out of the peach bucket after each basket.
Pretty much how Mark Emmert viewed it too. $2.9 million a year for a guy who was a disaster

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ading/amp/
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Not sure where to post this:

Check out this article from The Providence Journal:

URI hoops coaches Miller, Reiss excited about new rosters, coming season

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 932260002/
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks for posting, 74. I don’t read the projo. Good story. Some good insight from Archie regarding player fit and development.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The A10 will be tall this season
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago The A10 will be tall this season
Rockus Jockus! All Name Teamer fer sure
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Significant news for new HC Chris Caputo.
Bishop was GW's leading scorer about 17 pts.

Even though they probably won't be in the top half of the A10 they are capable of playing spoiler.
They also return (PF) Lindo, (C) Hunter Dean (6'10"), and Brendan Adams should play a big role for them in the backcourt.

As we all remember they beat us twice last season.
Hunter Dean in the first game had a double/double (15 pts/11 rebs).

They did lose Bamisile to Oklahoma and of course Bray to us.

They do have a lot of size on their bench and brought in freshman transfer (CG) Max Edwards who redshirted at KState last season.

The A10 should be fun to watch this year.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago The A10 will be tall this season
Rockus Jockus! All Name Teamer fer sure
…….early nominee for All Hair Team?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
Yes 22, he will arguably the best big in the A10 for 22=23.

With all GM have returning, they can be a top 5 team in our conference.

Kim English has done an excellent job since taking over last season.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Huge news for Richmond, Burton returning dropping out of the draft.
He is one of the best players in the A10 (16 pts/7.7 rebs).

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

1) SLU
2) Dayton
3) Richmond
4) VCU
5) URI
6) George Mason
7) Davidson
8) Loyola

Everyone else.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago 1) SLU
2) Dayton
3) Richmond
4) VCU
5) URI
6) George Mason
7) Davidson
8) Loyola

Everyone else.
That’s as good as we can hope with a new coach and a young team.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

2) Dayton
3) Richmond
4) VCU
5) URI
6) George Mason
7) Davidson
8) Loyola

Everyone else.
If you included UMass and one of either St. Bonaventure or St. Joe's that would be a sweet 10 team league right there.
You could play an 18 game schedule, playing everyone home and home. *Sigh*
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

2) Dayton
3) Richmond
4) VCU
5) URI
6) George Mason
7) Davidson
8) Loyola

Everyone else.
Blueman you are more optimistic than me but I would be ecstatic if you are correct.

Looking at the rosters for 22-23, I would put GM and Davidson ahead of us.

Also Lunardi has Loyola/Chicago as a bubble team, they have an all-conference guard and added some nice pieces including BE PF/C Bryce Golden.

Don't sleep on UMass and GW either.

If I were to guess, we would finish somewhere around 7-10, depending on how favorable our in-conference schedule is.
We have so many unknowns which makes it very difficult to predict.
Our new players, which have very little or no Div. 1 experience, would really need to step up and have an immediate impact.
Bray is probably the exception and maybe the only certain starter at this time, although I can see Archie going with some of our returnees.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
2) Dayton
3) Richmond
4) VCU
5) URI
6) George Mason
7) Davidson
8) Loyola

Everyone else.
Blueman you are more optimistic than me but I would be ecstatic if you are correct.

Also Lunardi has Loyola/Chicago as a bubble team, they have an all-conference guard and added some nice pieces including BE PF/C Bryce Golden.

If I were to guess, we would finish somewhere around 7-10, depending on how favorable our in-conference schedule is.
Our new players, which have very little or no Div. 1 experience, would really need to step up and have an immediate impact.
Bray is probably the exception and maybe the only certain starter at this time, although I can see Archie going with some of our returnees.
I think I'm almost being too bullish on Mason since yes, they return a lot, but they still had a losing record in conference and overall. I think everyone is just overrating them because they over-performed relative to where they normally finish.

Davidson always finds a way, but they lose so much of their production next year. I could see them finishing 3rd or 10th.

I'm not a believer in Loyola. Porter Moser ain't walking through that door. If we get seeded different in 2018, we'd have ended their run 2 rounds earlier and they're not a name brand. Last year their best wins were bad P5 teams, and they scored 41 points in an NCAA game. They will not be some juggernaut in the A10. They're an MVC team. I'll be blown away if they finish higher than 6.

UMass will be a wild one. Martin is another one of those coaches who is good but not good? Like I love him, I hate that he's at UMass because I hate them but love him. Who knows how fast he can cobble together a bunch of pieces. Like he always landed NBA-level talent but it seemed like they underperformed by and large.

But I agree - ton of unknowns. I compare this to an early Hurley team - looking at defense as a leader which will keep us in a lot more games.

Archie is different than Dan in that he plays a system and Dan just gets his guys to be animals in a man-to-man d.

But - why I'm incredibly optimistic is that I believe defense will keep us in games, but Archie has said over and over that our calling card will be shooting. He'll be recruiting shooters. We have a major talent upgrade coming in, and most importantly an all-conference PG leading it.

I get the tempered expectations, especially after all we've been through. But I'm not tempering shit. I think we're going to be back in a big way. Immediately.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

FWIW, Archie’s first team at Dayton finished 20-13 including an invite to the NIT. They 9-7 in league play and 1-1 in the conference tournament. I’d be okay with that.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Like blueman mentioned above - and as others have also mentioned - watch the defense and it’s progression. I think this will be key to how the season goes.

I think we have the kind of length and athleticism at all levels to cause disruption to the opponents offense. Also, we have the coaching, too.

That said, a mid-pack-ish (anywhere from 5-8) finish in the A10 is possible from where I sit today and could put us in range of 74’s prediction above. That could change for me as it is still very early and many variables at play. Better or worse, I will enjoy watching this team grow together and I am happy the past is behind us.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

2) Dayton
3) Richmond
4) VCU
5) URI
6) George Mason
7) Davidson
8) Loyola

Everyone else.

I think I'm almost being too bullish on Mason since yes, they return a lot, but they still had a losing record in conference and overall. I think everyone is just overrating them because they over-performed relative to where they normally finish.

Davidson always finds a way, but they lose so much of their production next year. I could see them finishing 3rd or 10th.

I'm not a believer in Loyola. Porter Moser ain't walking through that door. If we get seeded different in 2018, we'd have ended their run 2 rounds earlier and they're not a name brand. Last year their best wins were bad P5 teams, and they scored 41 points in an NCAA game. They will not be some juggernaut in the A10. They're an MVC team. I'll be blown away if they finish higher than 6.

UMass will be a wild one. Martin is another one of those coaches who is good but not good? Like I love him, I hate that he's at UMass because I hate them but love him. Who knows how fast he can cobble together a bunch of pieces. Like he always landed NBA-level talent but it seemed like they underperformed by and large.

But I agree - ton of unknowns. I compare this to an early Hurley team - looking at defense as a leader which will keep us in a lot more games.

Archie is different than Dan in that he plays a system and Dan just gets his guys to be animals in a man-to-man d.

But - why I'm incredibly optimistic is that I believe defense will keep us in games, but Archie has said over and over that our calling card will be shooting. He'll be recruiting shooters. We have a major talent upgrade coming in, and most importantly an all-conference PG leading it.

I get the tempered expectations, especially after all we've been through. But I'm not tempering shit. I think we're going to be back in a big way. Immediately.
I could easily be wrong but think you are not bullish enough on GM.

I give English a pass on last season, his first as a HC and faced a large roster turnover.
Oduro returns as the best big in the A10.
Also returning (G) Cooper 12 pts, and wing Gaines 10 pts/ 8 rebs.
Plus several transfers and some young freshmen talent.

Davidson is always tough and well prepared.
Loyer is one of the top PG in the A10.
They also return steady Mennenga (PF) and Huffman (G).
Added transfer center Skogman a starter at Buffalo and Kochera who was a freshman POY in the CAA.

I think Caputo (1st year HC) will be an upgrade at GW and the roster isn't bare.
They do return Bishop (17 pts) Lindo PF, and Dean (C) who scored 15 pts/11 rebs against us,

Martin has done a great job revamping the UMass roster plus they return Fernandes and Weeks.
Transfers Leveque (C) and Cross (F) should be immediate impact players for them.

I do think defense and fast tempo will be our calling card this season.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Our recruits look to be under the radar.
Again, these rankings not totally reliable.
247 doesn't even have our recruits listed on their site.

0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Our recruits look to be under the radar.

How could anyone rank any of our freshman in the top 10. All of them are complete unknowns. Some of the guys will probably surprise us and some of the others will be in the transfer portal within two years. We only need to hit on a couple of them. It is the new college basketball.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Our recruits look to be under the radar.

Jersey, this is great bulletin board material for the freshman. I wonder if Archie and staff will post it for them to see and be regularly reminded? I sure hope so.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

2) Dayton
3) Richmond
4) VCU
5) URI
6) George Mason
7) Davidson
8) Loyola

Everyone else.

Now that the roster is locked in I'm with you.

Wasn't sure there for a while. Looked very developmental.

Considering how good our coaching staff is, especially how well they coach defense, the guys we kept on the roster, talent and expereince at guard and size in the frontcourt, we compete easily.

This does feel like early Dan, but fastforward to year 3 with Dan. I think these guys have a bubble team ceiling.

Strongly disagree about Loyola. I watched them a lot last year and their style of play was virtually the same under Valentine. He can coach. Dude won't have a problem getting players there either. Loyola is very likely going to compete for a league title immediately. I mean, if they were in the A-10 last year they probably win the regular season title over Davidson. They just play great defense, shoot the ball well and have athletes. I'll be shocked if they struggle in the A-10.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Considering how good our coaching staff is, especially how well they coach defense, the guys we kept on the roster, talent and expereince at guard and size in the frontcourt, we compete easily.

This does feel like early Dan, but fastforward to year 3 with Dan. I think these guys have a bubble team ceiling.

Strongly disagree about Loyola. I watched them a lot last year and their style of play was virtually the same under Valentine. He can coach. Dude won't have a problem getting players there either. Loyola is very likely going to compete for a league title immediately. I mean, if they were in the A-10 last year they probably win the regular season title over Davidson. They just play great defense, shoot the ball well and have athletes. I'll be shocked if they struggle in the A-10.
You have to respect the Loyola program and they been fun to watch the last few years, but their team for much of the conference season was very shaky to say the least. This is coming from someone who bet a lot of their games and in many cases they were money lines which saved me. I think they would have had 6 loses in the A-10 last year the way they were playing when conference play started
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

You have to respect the Loyola program and they been fun to watch the last few years, but their team for much of the conference season was very shaky to say the least. This is coming from someone who bet a lot of their games and in many cases they were money lines which saved me. I think they would have had 6 loses in the A-10 last year the way they were playing when conference play started
Yeah they were kinda shaky and dropped a few games. For whatever reason Davidson wasn't except for when they played us lol.

I bet on Loyola a lot too. I just remember thinking while watching them how they looked better than anyone in the A-10.

I mean I doubt they'll win the league next year, but it wouldn't shock me. If Davidson can come from the southern conference and immediately win the A-10 then Loyola can. At least Loyola can beat P5 teams and win NCAA tournament games on a yearly basis unlike annoyingly good but really not that good Davidson.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I kind of agree also put me in the 1-5 range for Loyola be kind of surprised if they are 6th or worse
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah they were kinda shaky and dropped a few games. For whatever reason Davidson wasn't except for when they played us lol.

I bet on Loyola a lot too. I just remember thinking while watching them how they looked better than anyone in the A-10.

I mean I doubt they'll win the league next year, but it wouldn't shock me. If Davidson can come from the southern conference and immediately win the A-10 then Loyola can. At least Loyola can beat P5 teams and win NCAA tournament games on a yearly basis unlike annoyingly good but really not that good Davidson.
This ^^^

PRT, I think your description of Davidson in your last sentence is tremendous.

Good stuff.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Both coaches get their guys to play hard and both most definitely have a system.

Based on recent experience, I don’t count on the A10 being good until they show they are.

I think it’s ok to be very optimistic about the program and also recognize that next year is ridiculously unpredictable. You can’t just say these are Archie’s guys, so they are going to be good. No offense to some of the pieces, but a few are not exactly who he would pick under ideal circumstances. The coach is motivated to redeem himself, fresh starts are good for players, too. No matter the record next year, it will feel like they’re building something, even if there is roster turnover, which is something that hasn’t seemed like the case the last few years.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Dan Year 3 had 2 bona fide future All Conference talents (Hass and EC) and a very highly regarded FR (JT). This squad, at least right now, doesn't have any of that. Not sure that's a fair comparison. Guys like Weston and Harris obv have that potential but there is just no evidence to say its a definite. At this point in Dan's tenure you knew Hass and EC were cornerstone players. And that Jared was going to be a star.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Dan Year 3 had 2 bona fide future All Conference talents (Hass and EC) and a very highly regarded FR (JT). This squad, at least right now, doesn't have any of that. Not sure that's a fair comparison. Guys like Weston and Harris obv have that potential but there is just no evidence to say its a definite. At this point in Dan's tenure you knew Hass and EC were cornerstone players. And that Jared was going to be a star.
I tend to agree. But I do think this feels like the NIT Hurley team as a ceiling, with an A10 tourney run/birth if we get hot in Brooklyn isn't out of the question.

I think this is the best top-to-bottom coaching staff we've ever had. And to your point about cornerstone players - EC was a soph coming off all-rookie team honors, like Bray. Terrell was a Freshman - Brandon Harris is a "soph" with a similar high school ranking out of HS.

Now obviously this team will be built different than the 2015 NIT team without someone like Hass (but we do have his brother), but Ant Harris is senior aged and has seen a lot, just has lacked opportunity.

When you look at that 2015 Rhody team - Jarvis/Jared/EC/Hass/Gil, I think this team is a good comparison with Bray/Weston/Harris/Martin/TBD. I also think this URI team has more depth/experience coming off the bench with Ish/Carey probably seeing significant minutes at the 1/2/3.

If healthy, Bray/Harris/Weston have a solid chance at being one of, if not the best, backcourt in the conference. Size and projected talent.

Obviously none of that matters until they actually play together and if they develop, but I'm all in.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I agree Blue man as to the staff. It is an excellent coaching staff, top to bottom.

I understand things don’t always go smoothly but, my confidence in the staff makes me eager for every nugget we can gather on the development of the team. An exciting time for Rhody bb.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x