It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I need to hang out with this guy more ^^^
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago RJ, define failure please.
The definition of failure means lack of success. Is a 67-58 record with a 33-44 conference record and 1-3 Big Ten Tournament record success or failure? Their best regular season Big Ten finish was 6th in Archie's first year (lost to the 14 seed in the B1GT), and subsequent finishes were 9th (lost to the 8 seed), 11th (beat the 14 seed), and 10th (lost to the 7th seed). Instead of failure, would the preference be I say that he was not successful at Indiana?

Again, let the record reflect that I think Miller will be successful at URI, but I think it's at least one, maybe two years away. And I know Stevey didn't like my comment about more impactful recruits/transfers next year, but it was honestly meant as a complement. I think with a year in the system actually building some culture and hitting the trail, I think the type of recruits/transfers landed for the class of 2023 will be guys with many P5 teams on the list or more transfers with actual rock solid production on a college court.
I define Cox as a failure. On a micro level, his teams got worse as the season went on. On a macro level each season was worse than the previous. Archie's KenPom rankings each year were 71, 52, 34, and 50. Showing signs of progress except for the last year while being a top-50 team is NOT failing. Being fired by Indiana means literally nothing. Look at the last few years of Crean before they fired him. Those fans are stuck in the Bobby Knight era and think they're still somehow allowed a seat at the table of all the top programs in the sport.

Not for anything, that team that finished 34 was going to the NCAAs if not for covid - they were VERY good that year
4 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago RJ, define failure please.
The definition of failure means lack of success. Is a 67-58 record with a 33-44 conference record and 1-3 Big Ten Tournament record success or failure? Their best regular season Big Ten finish was 6th in Archie's first year (lost to the 14 seed in the B1GT), and subsequent finishes were 9th (lost to the 8 seed), 11th (beat the 14 seed), and 10th (lost to the 7th seed). Instead of failure, would the preference be I say that he was not successful at Indiana?

Again, let the record reflect that I think Miller will be successful at URI, but I think it's at least one, maybe two years away. And I know Stevey didn't like my comment about more impactful recruits/transfers next year, but it was honestly meant as a complement. I think with a year in the system actually building some culture and hitting the trail, I think the type of recruits/transfers landed for the class of 2023 will be guys with many P5 teams on the list or more transfers with actual rock solid production on a college court.
I define Cox as a failure. On a micro level, his teams got worse as the season went on. On a macro level each season was worse than the previous. Archie's KenPom rankings each year were 71, 52, 34, and 50. Showing signs of progress except for the last year while being a top-50 team is NOT failing. Being fired by Indiana means literally nothing. Look at the last few years of Crean before they fired him. Those fans are stuck in the Bobby Knight era and think they're still somehow allowed a seat at the table of all the top programs in the sport.

Not for anything, that team that finished 34 was going to the NCAAs if not for covid - they were VERY good that year
The COVID year team was probably going to the tournament, but they were 4-8 in their last 12 and finished 11th in the Big Ten. They were on-the-bubble heading into the Big Ten Tournament. That team at one point was 15-4 rolling towards the tournament and ended up 19-12 needing to win at least two in the conference tournament needing to lock in their birth. I think that swoon is what left a sour taste in their fans mouths.
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

First: Pet peeve. It's BERTH; not birth.

Secondly, we get it. You're a PC fan attempting to throw shade on a URI message board. With a hat tip to ECR, "Get back, Get back, Get back to where you once belonged. Get back, RJ!"
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NHRamFan wrote: 1 year ago First: Pet peeve. It's BERTH; not birth.

Secondly, we get it. You're a PC fan attempting to throw shade on a URI message board. With a hat tip to ECR, "Get back, Get back, Get back to where you once belonged. Get back, RJ!"
Except my shade is misconstrued because I never once said I didn’t think Archie would be successful, just that I didn’t think the team would be successful this season, other than establishing the foundation for future years.

Just because I don’t think Archie is a basketball wizard (and to be fair I think there are maybe 5-10 guys who could win anywhere) and used Indiana as proof of that doesn’t mean I think he’s a permanent failure as a coach.

I just hope for your sake he knows where he should be to be successful, and that’s URI.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Except my shade is misconstrued because I never once said I didn’t think Archie would be successful, just that I didn’t think the team would be successful this season, other than establishing the foundation for future years.

Just because I don’t think Archie is a basketball wizard (and to be fair I think there are maybe 5-10 guys who could win anywhere) and used Indiana as proof of that doesn’t mean I think he’s a permanent failure as a coach.

I just hope for your sake he knows where he should be to be successful, and that’s URI.
I assume you think Cooley is a wizard?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

I assume you think Cooley is a wizard?
No. I think there are very few coaches you can plop into any coaching job and have them be immediately successful (tournament appearances), unless they are inheriting a fantastic situation in terms of retaining roster talent. Cooley is not one of them. That’s not a knock on Archie or Cooley or anyone else I say that about. Point was solely that I don’t think that Archie was such an elite basketball mastermind that it should be expected that there is an instant turnaround to tournament contender. Like many coaches in many situations, need to build to that. Again, maybe I’m wrong, I just don’t see it like that. Cooley is the right fit for PC, but if you plop him in most other situations, think it would take time to grow the program to his vision, wouldn’t jump in and take-off like a rocket. That’s all. It’s freaking hard to rebuild a program back to tournament, or even bubble-caliber.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I honestly don’t think there is anything wrong with what RJ said. I may not agree 100% with it, but it’s definitely within the range of fairly held opinions - even if it was posted here originally, never mind that it was posted elsewhere without URI fans in mind. People need to loosen up a little bit. Geez.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Agree with TP...plus, rj will be glad to see Rhody good this year, so it's all good.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

I think stevey's gripe is with the first paragraph. "Failed" is a bit of a stretch - his Indiana teams were all good, just not great (based on KenPom rankings). He was fired because he didn't meet the expectations of unreasonable fans, not because he was a bad coach who ran the program into the ground. Hell, there is a large contingent of Kentucky fans that want Calipari fired because of the St. Peter's game and now because Kentucky isn't going to land a top recruit in the 2023 class (the kid is likely going to Louisville as Kenny Payne hired the kid's grandfather). Cal constantly has Kentucky at the top of the sport (2020-2021 season aside). Using a firing based on delusional fans isn't a great barometer.
Wonder if RJ thinks the same about Sean Miller who failed at Arizona, was out of basketball for a year and had nobody sniffing around him except Xavier???? Of course he wouldn’t because Sean rejoined Xavier of the Big East.

Just a horrendous assessment about Archie Miller from RJsuperfly on the PC Board. Showing his true colors that he very effectively hides when posting here. To say Archie failed at Indiana and got fired, sat out for a year (as if other HCs whi get fired don’t go sit out a year or two and then return to the game) and nobody was sniffing Archie except URI? Please stop. Insane, PC prejudice comments.

Any College Basketball fan can see what Archie is doing at URI is very positive in just a few months on the job. Solid Coaching Staff selected and hired, recruiting in such a way that nobody knows who he and his staff are chasing after but then they deliver, signing highly regarded transfers from Seton Hall and North Carolina already. He has only just begun. Not good news for Friar fans like RJ. They miss Cox at the helm and it’s going to be tough for Friar Fans to watch what Archie does here - the guy nobody sniffed except URI - classic line.
Archie landed a ton of talented players at Indiana, and he was not able to capitalize on it. Indiana fans definitely have an inflated value of themselves (they are certainly no longer blue-bloods), but he didn’t get the job done. Most major schools you get 4 years to make a difference.

That said, there are some coaches who are better off in lower conferences with lesser talent because they can motivate them better. I said the same thing about Shaka at Texas…. Those high 4/5 star guys he was recruiting weren’t going to be diving all over the floor like they did at VCU. Those teams are less likely to take on the personality of their coach. I think that’s the thing a lot of these coaches miss when they jump up in weight class.

Re - talent… There is not one person Archie landed this spring that I can confidently “scares” me, or however you worded it. I think Archie develops more of these guys than not, but probably at least one year, maybe two, on a good number of them. I actually think it’s more likely than not the guys he lands in the next year are more important pieces to the revitalization of URI hoops than last year, I’d expect a higher caliber of player.

You guys should be happy - he’s a splash, big-name brings hype and excitement, but it doesn’t mean because he’s a big-name it all instantly comes together. And that was my point bringing up the Indiana stuff. I think he’s going to likely do good things in time at URI, it’ll just take time.

Re: Sean Miller. Miller didn’t fail at Arizona, he was a very successful basketball coach in terms of record. He was also a slimeball. I don’t know if I’d want him as my coach, but his availability was about pending NCAA sanctions and not about on-court productivity. There are a lot of other guys who were also wrapped up in those probes who kept their jobs and never skipped a beat.
So who on our board is not happy with Archie Miller? Seems like only you. Even on the PC Board you have posters questioning you and even saying Archie Miller won’t be getting a Christmas card from you.

You say he failed at Indiana, he sat out a year like that was a bad thing and you said no other teams were seeking him out except URI……..

How do you know no other teams were seeking out Archie Miller? Most every recruit he has brought in nobody knew he was recruiting them. Some assistant coaches the same thing - kept out of the limelight. Tre Mitchell communications disaster most likely increased the level of confidentiality. Personally I love the recruiting style.

If Archie was so bad, and only URI was going after him then Thorr, President Parlange, Tom Ryan and others way overpaid with $8.5 million for 5 years.

But I’d say not a single poster here believes that.

Plus we have plenty of umbrellas for those who want to rain in our parade after just 2 months on the job:

Great Hire in Archie Miller
Solid timetable set for Practice Facility
Great Coaching Staff assembled
7 recruits in 2 months
4 of the new recruits will be in the starting line up in November

Take it away ECR
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

How do you know no other teams were seeking out Archie Miller? Most every recruit he has brought in nobody knew he was recruiting them. Some assistant coaches the same thing - kept out of the limelight. Tre Mitchell communications disaster most likely increased the level of confidentiality. Personally I love the recruiting style.
This is all I'm going to say on the topic - I can almost guarantee you that when you look back 10 years from now, the next great core of URI Rams will not likely be recruits/transfers that come out of the darkness, but will be recruits/transfers that were won over strong competition. They are not likely to be transfers who haven't done jack on a college basketball court, or underrated prospects with mostly mysterious recruiting lists, but guys who legit you say "I can't believe we just landed that guy." And I think Archie likely gets that done for you, but I think it's more likely that the guys brought in this year, most of them give everything they got, they help build a great foundation, but most of them probably top out at key role players. I think the stars are TBD, I think they will come for you, but I don't think they are in Kingston yet. That opinion has nothing to do with who I affiliate with, or where he's the coach.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This is all I'm going to say on the topic - I can almost guarantee you that when you look back 10 years from now, the next great core of URI Rams will not likely be recruits/transfers that come out of the darkness, but will be recruits/transfers that were won over strong competition. They are not likely to be transfers who haven't done jack on a college basketball court, or underrated prospects with mostly mysterious recruiting lists, but guys who legit you say "I can't believe we just landed that guy." And I think Archie likely gets that done for you, but I think it's more likely that the guys brought in this year, most of them give everything they got, they help build a great foundation, but most of them probably top out at key role players. I think the stars are TBD, I think they will come for you, but I don't think they are in Kingston yet. That opinion has nothing to do with who I affiliate with, or where he's the coach.
I think you're downplaying some of the gets Archie landed.

Did you even watch one minute of GW last year? Bray Freeman is a stud.

Brandon Weston is a big-time get on paper. I'm very surprised we landed him.

Some high major programs were pursuing Foumena and Hutch.

Archie wouldn't say he thinks Foumena could be one of the best big men in the country before he leaves here if this kid wasn't a high major big. Which I believe he is.

I agree we have some question marks with some of the recruits he landed, but I expect Bray, Weston, Ant, and Foumena to be critical to this program, and the others have plenty of upside.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
I think you're downplaying some of the gets Archie landed.

Did you even watch one minute of GW last year? Bray Freeman is a stud.

Brandon Weston is a big-time get on paper. I'm very surprised we landed him.

Some high major programs were pursuing Foumena and Hutch.

Archie wouldn't say he thinks Foumena could be one of the best big men in the country before he leaves here if this kid wasn't a high major big. Which I believe he is.

I agree we have some question marks with some of the recruits he landed, but I expect Bray, Weston, Ant, and Foumena to be critical to this program, and the others have plenty of upside.
The guy and his staff are 2 months into the job - 2 FREAKEN MONTHS!!!!!
1 Poster criticizing Archie Miller in the course of 2 months.

Best thing is it’s the last to be said on the topic. Thank you.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

4 x
Slava Ukraini!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
Bassy looking bigger. Still think he may surprise a lot of people on here but he has plenty of competition.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Bassy looking bigger. Still think he may surprise a lot of people on here but he has plenty of competition.
I agree Stevey, I think we have several options at PG this season giving us some nice depth.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I will be surprised if Bassy plays much.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Like Stevey said, Bassy could surprise. I like his bb instincts and court smarts. I’m rooting for the young man. There is stiff competition on the team but that’s a good thing. Have to earn it. I think he understood that coming to Rhody.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love seeing videos like that , Arch has the boys working hard and mentioned attitude, gotta love it
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Love seeing videos like that , Arch has the boys working hard and mentioned attitude, gotta love it
Who is that who threw it 118?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wonder what's going on with the player development position that Archie wanted to add?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Bilau. He's an absolute monster. So get ready for some of the best blocks we've seen in a while at the Ryan Center!
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That guy looked huge.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I wonder what's going on with the player development position that Archie wanted to add?
Last I knew, they are putting a pause on that. I hemmed and hawed over it for a few weeks and ultimately turned it down... it's, understandably, taking them some time to figure out how to move on.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I wonder what's going on with the player development position that Archie wanted to add?
Last I knew, they are putting a pause on that. I hemmed and hawed over it for a few weeks and ultimately turned it down... it's, understandably, taking them some time to figure out how to move on.
I know 72 has been in LA interviewing all the candidates for the Lakers job. Now that that’s been filled maybe he’ll be able to find the time to interview the top applicants for this position? Let’s hope.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I know 72 has been in LA interviewing all the candidates for the Lakers job. Now that that’s been filled maybe he’ll be able to find the time to interview the top applicants for this position? Let’s hope.
They did mention that, if I didn't accept, they were going to enlist 72's help.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Oh boy…this conversation is starting to rattle my confidence in the coaching staff. I’m having Jerry D flash backs.

:lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I can't believe they picked you over 72 in the first place.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I know Bassy will outwork everyone on the team and will get minutes for that reason as well as the ball handling and passing skills he has exhibited. Additionally, I'll be disappointed in Bassy if he doesn't make 65% of his FTs next year. This is a must for a PG at this level or else he doesn't belong on the court in close games, and it is an easily attainable goal for someone who works as hard as Bassy. It is all about proper technique, repetition and confidence.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I can't believe they picked you over 72 in the first place.
They asked him first, but probably couldn't pay him enough so he decided to stick with the hiring/consultant role.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago I know Bassy will outwork everyone on the team and will get minutes for that reason as well as the ball handling and passing skills he has exhibited. Additionally, I'll be disappointed in Bassy if he doesn't make 65% of his FTs next year. This is a must for a PG at this level or else he doesn't belong on the court in close games, and it is an easily attainable goal for someone who works as hard as Bassy. It is all about proper technique, repetition and confidence.
Don't leave us hanging. Drop that youtube link to your channel so we can see the proper technique.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago I know Bassy will outwork everyone on the team and will get minutes for that reason as well as the ball handling and passing skills he has exhibited. Additionally, I'll be disappointed in Bassy if he doesn't make 65% of his FTs next year. This is a must for a PG at this level or else he doesn't belong on the court in close games, and it is an easily attainable goal for someone who works as hard as Bassy. It is all about proper technique, repetition and confidence.
65% FT is acceptable?
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

65% FT is acceptable?
For a point guard absolutely not.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bilau. He's an absolute monster. So get ready for some of the best blocks we've seen in a while at the Ryan Center!
Wow that was impressive!!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

65% FT is acceptable?
For next year - yes. My recollection is that he was around 40% last year. It takes time to be an 80%+ FT shooter. What I'm saying is that if you can't shoot FTs at 65%+, then either you have poor technique, you are not practicing enough with proper technique or you lack confidence. You can't expect someone to double their FT shooting percentage in one year.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
65% FT is acceptable?
For next year - yes. My recollection is that he was around 40% last year. It takes time to be an 80%+ FT shooter. What I'm saying is that if you can't shoot FTs at 65%+, then either you have poor technique, you are not practicing enough with proper technique or you lack confidence. You can't expect someone to double their FT shooting percentage in one year.
And you can't play a guard that FT's at 65% either. If you're a guard playing D1 hoops, I'm thinking you should NEVER be in a position where you have to "double your percentage" to get to 80...
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Bassy's FT% was 36.7% last year. If he can't improve it to 65%+ as I said he can't play at this level. I can't recall a mid 30s% ft shooter becoming an 80% FT shooter in one season. If he can get to 65%+ next year, he can get to ~80% in year 3.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Bassy's FT% was 36.7% last year. If he can't improve it to 65%+ as I said he can't play at this level. I can't recall a mid 30s% ft shooter becoming an 80% FT shooter in one season. If he can get to 65%+ next year, he can get to ~80% in year 3.
In a state championship game vs North Kingstown Thomas hit 11-11 in a pressure laden game.

11-11 tells me he can shoot FTs. Last year in a Coaches show David Cox said Thomas was a good FT and 3FG shooter

I think, Rhody72, you have suggested previously that it could be confidence. I think that is it in a nutshell. Confidence comes from practice (ie Jimmy Baron) and from game experience. He is just a Freshman who was originally targeted to red-shirt. He played well last summer to cancel the red-shirt plan……..plus Sheppard, El-Amin and Leggett did not play to expectations opening the door to Thomas getting more minutes than originally planned.

Competition is s great thing. Weston, Harris, Freeman, Leggett, Thomas and Carey will all compete for starting spots and minutes. May the best players win.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would expect Bassy to be in the 70 % range in FT shooting next year
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Bassy's FT% was 36.7% last year. If he can't improve it to 65%+ as I said he can't play at this level. I can't recall a mid 30s% ft shooter becoming an 80% FT shooter in one season. If he can get to 65%+ next year, he can get to ~80% in year 3.
I would suggest he can't/shouldn't and hopefully won't have to play meaningful minutes shooting 65%....last year, we had no choice. This year, we do.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

re: Thomas' FT percentage, I'm obviously less optimistic on him than others, but it should be said that he's probably not truly a 30ish percent shooter from the FT line. He only attempted 30 FTs - less than one per game - so it's probably more than going to the line "cold" essentially every game means he just didn't shoot that well.

With that being said - The fact that he only got to the line once a game would be the more worrisome sign for me, if we're trying to discern what his peak is as a player. He was a complete non-threat on offense and needs to add something if he's going to be a viable D-I player at the A-10 level - whether that's a tremendous driving to the basket game, a more consistent jumper, etc.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago re: Thomas' FT percentage, I'm obviously less optimistic on him than others, but it should be said that he's probably not truly a 30ish percent shooter from the FT line. He only attempted 30 FTs - less than one per game - so it's probably more than going to the line "cold" essentially every game means he just didn't shoot that well.

With that being said - The fact that he only got to the line once a game would be the more worrisome sign for me, if we're trying to discern what his peak is as a player. He was a complete non-threat on offense and needs to add something if he's going to be a viable D-I player at the A-10 level - whether that's a tremendous driving to the basket game, a more consistent jumper, etc.
He was the best passer on the team last year.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago re: Thomas' FT percentage, I'm obviously less optimistic on him than others, but it should be said that he's probably not truly a 30ish percent shooter from the FT line. He only attempted 30 FTs - less than one per game - so it's probably more than going to the line "cold" essentially every game means he just didn't shoot that well.

1) Our team sucked. 2) His assists were almost certainly inflated because he simply wouldn't shoot when a normal point guard would have. 3) His assists per 40 minutes were 5.6, vs. 4.3 for Sheppard. The margin is a bit better (8.2 vs. 6.3) if you go by Per 100 possession stats instead. But in either case, it's not enough to make up the difference because of the other deficiencies in his game.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

1) Our team sucked. 2) His assists were almost certainly inflated because he simply wouldn't shoot when a normal point guard would have. 3) His assists per 40 minutes were 5.6, vs. 4.3 for Sheppard. The margin is a bit better (8.2 vs. 6.3) if you go by Per 100 possession stats instead. But in either case, it's not enough to make up the difference because of the other deficiencies in his game.
And if we had better shooters, his assist numbers would be higher.....in that case, they're deflated.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

And if we had better shooters, his assist numbers would be higher.....in that case, they're deflated.
He seems like a great kid...I just think the less he HAS TO play, the better.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Agreed he's probably a better shooter than 30ish%. Where I think he needs to improve the most is his speed and strength so he can finish better around the hoop. I also think that will lead to him getting to the line more. Let's be honest. He's a horrible shooter. Even when he's warming up with no one defending him, he doesn't hit much. I'm sure he will improve his shot, but attacking the hoop is where he is best. He's got a nice runner, and he's a solid decision-maker. But, as Archie said, if this kid is going to play, he needs to earn it by hitting the weight room.

I also love having a local kid, but we have a massive upgrade at the position with landing Ant Harris and Bray. It's going to be great to have a strong A10 level backcourt again.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I love Thomas as much as the next guy and I hope he stays at URI and thrives, but if we're being honest with each other here if he is getting any more then maybe 5-10 minutes per game something has probably gone wrong.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Remember one thing, we actually have coaches now who can help develop players. Archie already said that Jalen's shot has improved dramatically in only 6 weeks. I'm thinking they can help Bassy improve his shot too.
5 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I like his court awareness. He needs work but I think the staff evaluated him and kept him for a reason. There’s stiff competition for him but it will make him a better player.

I also believe and have confidence, because he is still here, Archie and the staff will do right by him however things go.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Remember one thing, we actually have coaches now who can help develop players. Archie already said that Jalen's shot has improved dramatically in only 6 weeks. I'm thinking they can help Bassy improve his shot too.
This is exactly how I feel. He showed some real good flashes last year. Hoping he can develop under real coaching and those flashes become consistent play from him.
1 x