Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago I wonder if he (Baldwin) would take the feedback he got and withdraw from the draft and return to college (obviously transfer since Milwaukee shitcanned his dad) and show what he can do while healthy (obviously hoping he stays healthy). He obviously can't hurt his draft stock by returning to college.
He can withdraw his name until June 1, but all indications are that he's staying in. His potential is great enough that I kind of doubt he goes completely undrafted or unsigned - someone will think they can fix him.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago I wonder if he (Baldwin) would take the feedback he got and withdraw from the draft and return to college (obviously transfer since Milwaukee shitcanned his dad) and show what he can do while healthy (obviously hoping he stays healthy). He obviously can't hurt his draft stock by returning to college.
He can withdraw his name until June 1, but all indications are that he's staying in. His potential is great enough that I kind of doubt he goes completely undrafted or unsigned - someone will think they can fix him.
Exactly. A friend of mine was the MVP of the Dleague years ago, and he told me how he's much better than a lot of guys in the NBA right now, but he's peaked. He's older, and he's not going to get much better. All the NBA cares about is potential. I don't think some people on here understand that this isn't about how he played against URI. It's more about what can he be in 3-5 years.

Here's a great breakdown of his game and potential.

http://mavsdraft.com/patrick-baldwin-jr ... ng-report/
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Exactly. A friend of mine was the MVP of the Dleague years ago, and he told me how he's much better than a lot of guys in the NBA right now, but he's peaked. He's older, and he's not going to get much better. All the NBA cares about is potential. I don't think some people on here understand that this isn't about how he played against URI. It's more about what can he be in 3-5 years.

I didn't say he would go undrafted or that he wouldn't be a good NBA player. Only said that he could come back for 1 more year for a good program, get healthy and prove himself against good competition (and maybe cash in a bit on his NIL). He could work on those cons (also, that list says he's a good shooter but then lists his lack of production as a con - so which is it?) and go from a 2nd round pick to maybe the lottery pick he was expected to be.

A friend of mine works in a NBA front office and says that I'm the most brilliant evaluator of talent they've ever spoken to, ever. /s (obviously)
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

I didn't say he would go undrafted or that he wouldn't be a good NBA player. Only said that he could come back for 1 more year for a good program, get healthy and prove himself against good competition (and maybe cash in a bit on his NIL). He could work on those cons (also, that list says he's a good shooter but then lists his lack of production as a con - so which is it?) and go from a 2nd round pick to maybe the lottery pick he was expected to be.

A friend of mine works in a NBA front office and says that I'm the most brilliant evaluator of talent they've ever spoken to, ever. /s (obviously)
I totally agree. I think it may be smart for him to come back. My message was a response to Sgreen not you.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

I totally agree. I think it may be smart for him to come back. My message was a response to Sgreen not you.
Not sure if he stays in or withdraws.
Many seem to feel, and most indications are that he remains in the draft.

I disagree with all the posters that seem to think he will go undrafted.
With his length, ball handling skills, and upside, I would be shocked if several teams wouldn't take a chance on him.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Potential vs polished, seasoned college veterans. That’s always the dilemma on draft night.

Easiest example this season is Jalen Brunson.

A senior All American, conference POY (I think, didn’t look it up) and national champion.

Fell to the second round because he was “older” and seemingly done getting better.

Has gotten better every NBA season, with his breakout coming this year.

Take a look at all the absolute stiffs drafted before him because of “potential.”
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Potential vs polished, seasoned college veterans. That’s always the dilemma on draft night.

Easiest example this season is Jalen Brunson.

A senior All American, conference POY (I think, didn’t look it up) and national champion.

Fell to the second round because he was “older” and seemingly done getting better.

Has gotten better every NBA season, with his breakout coming this year.

Take a look at all the absolute stiffs drafted before him because of “potential.”
Okay, sure, but for every guy like him, there are probably five like him that aren't valuable NBA players. This looks to be his peak - average point guard. Which is nice, and a very nice return for a second round draft pick. He also wasn't a senior - he was a junior when he left for the NBA. His stats have also barely budged since he joined the league, just +2 in points per 36 minutes this year. He hasn't really gotten better, he's just played more minutes (and one can argue, he probably benefits immensely from playing beside a legitimate Top 5 talent at the other G spot). Guys like him can plug roster holes at the pro level, but the last NBA MVP to attend college for four years were Steve Nash and Tim Duncan.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Trying to put myself in his position, this has to be a difficult decision. It would be for me. Does he go and risk getting picked in the 2nd round with no guaranteed contract? Or, stay in college, go P5, sign the best NIL he can negotiate and work on his game one more year? It’s a tough call but he’s fortunate to be one of the select that get a shot at pro ball.

There’s still a chance too, that he could get drafted in the late 1st round by a good team (maybe Golden State?) that doesn’t need an immediate impact player and can be patient with him for a few years.

I am sure he is getting the best advice possible on what is best for his future. Interested to see how it all goes.
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

KI is playing in Ice Cube’s “Big 3” summer league this year! Congrats!!
7 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/draft-co ... -milwaukee

Baldwin is one of the most polarizing players in this class but would be worth the risk for the Thunder. After a disappointing season, he will likely slide in this draft but has the talent of a lottery pick....

The chances of this kid not getting drafted are slim to none
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I'm not sure if there is an NBA scout/coach who thinks any player is done getting better at age 22. Male athletes (throw out the NFL) tend to peak between 27-30. Barring an injury, a serious athlete doesn't peak at 22.

In the case of Jalen Brunson, there were other questions about him. But I don't think it had to do with whether he had peaked.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rothstein has neither of the twins starting, they might not even be first off the bench.
Was this a good landing spot for them?

0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

No, lol they’ll cry themselves into another school
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/draft-co ... -milwaukee

Baldwin is one of the most polarizing players in this class but would be worth the risk for the Thunder. After a disappointing season, he will likely slide in this draft but has the talent of a lottery pick....

The chances of this kid not getting drafted are slim to none
He’s staying in draft…..

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/patrick-ba ... 32935.html
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Did Baldwin play for Rhody?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Did Baldwin play for Rhody?
Nope. Wouldn't have helped any if he did....
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Did Baldwin play for Rhody?
Nope. Wouldn't have helped any if he did....
Bet you a beer of your choice at the Rhody pub that he’s drafted.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Former player results and news.... this phrase is featured over 21 times on this page.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

STC wrote: 1 year ago Checking in on Mike Layssard…

https://www.kalb.com/2021/08/23/boyce-p ... d-beating/
Just awful.
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Fatts worked out with the trailblazers today per his Instagram.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago Fatts worked out with the trailblazers today per his Instagram.
Be cool if Fatts is on a summer league roster in Vegas
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Agreed, Reef. I am curious to see how he does if he makes a summer league team. I will definitely try to catch a game or two of his on TV.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago Fatts worked out with the trailblazers today per his Instagram.
Why?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago
Why?
For me it is curiosity. I am curious to see how his speed translates to NBA level, even if it only summer league. If his speed can offset his lack of height. Stuff like that. I am not able to get out much so I have to fill my time with something.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Why?
The more successful URI Basketball alumni, the better off the program is
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Why?
I'll answer for Reef. Because Reef lives in Vegas.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don’t think Fatts shoots well enough from distance to stick with any team.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Why?
That’s one of the reasons but more just to watch him play against the competition, it doesn’t really matter the location all the games will be on TV so we can all watch, games just happen to be in Vegas
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Why?
That’s one of the reasons but more just to watch him play against the competition, it doesn’t really matter the location all the games will be on TV so we can all watch, games just happen to be in Vegas
After seeing fatts play 5 years of college ball, I would think everyone knows what kind of player he is.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago

Just awful.
Oof. Hurley guy too. What a scumbag. Not everyone finds their way.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Regarding Fats, whether he is the same player, better or worse, each potential outcome tells me something that I am curious about. I’ll watch and see.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Just awful.
Recruited by ARD. Was more interested in partying than playing.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Just awful.
Recruited by ARD. Was more interested in partying than playing.
IIRC, ARD though he was an NBA prospect.
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Sad news on Long Island, Big Ed Brown who played one season with Rhody 98-99 has passed away. Don't know any of the details. Ed was a character who spent two seasons at St. John's and one with Rhody. Had some really good moments off the bench his one season. He was academically ineligible for Jerry D's first year. Big body who was well liked by many. Rest Easy Big ED.
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

LIRAM wrote: 1 year ago Sad news on Long Island, Big Ed Brown who played one season with Rhody 98-99 has passed away. Don't know any of the details. Ed was a character who spent two seasons at St. John's and one with Rhody. Had some really good moments off the bench his one season. He was academically ineligible for Jerry D's first year. Big body who was well liked by many. Rest Easy Big ED.
Damn sorry to hear about that , Ed came off the bench to average 16 minutes and 5 points on an NCAA tournament team , RIP Big Ed
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LIRAM wrote: 1 year ago Sad news on Long Island, Big Ed Brown who played one season with Rhody 98-99 has passed away. Don't know any of the details. Ed was a character who spent two seasons at St. John's and one with Rhody. Had some really good moments off the bench his one season. He was academically ineligible for Jerry D's first year. Big body who was well liked by many. Rest Easy Big ED.
Damn sorry to hear about that , Ed came off the bench to average 16 minutes and 5 points on an NCAA tournament team , RIP Big Ed
Thanks for sharing LIRAM

Big Ed played AAU for the Long Island Panthers and famous Coach Gary Charles. Lamar Odom played for LI Panthers with Big Ed. URI had a good connection with the LI Panthers. That team also had Khalid El-Amin and Tavorris Bell.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

7 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

not sure who made this happen, but i love that it happened. Bringing in old players who have no ties to this staff, but can talk to our current players was a phenomenal move.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 1 year ago not sure who made this happen, but i love that it happened. Bringing in old players who have no ties to this staff, but can talk to our current players was a phenomenal move.
This is pretty common across most schools in America.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 1 year ago not sure who made this happen, but i love that it happened. Bringing in old players who have no ties to this staff, but can talk to our current players was a phenomenal move.
Players always go back to their schools to see friends and get a workout in.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good stuff. Too bad there isn’t a live stream YouTube channel to watch the players work out on the court with former players. Better than watching a live stream of a volcano.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Every healthy athletic program does this

Archie is the man
2 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I understand this is common throughout CBB and all college sports, but maybe I just have a negative take still on the previous regime because I don't remember players from the Baron years coming back during the Cox era. I know Hassan was coming back once a year or so, but don't remember a lot of others doing so.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 1 year ago I understand this is common throughout CBB and all college sports, but maybe I just have a negative take still on the previous regime because I don't remember players from the Baron years coming back during the Cox era. I know Hassan was coming back once a year or so, but don't remember a lot of others doing so.
Delroy was honored multiple times at games.
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 1 year ago I understand this is common throughout CBB and all college sports, but maybe I just have a negative take still on the previous regime because I don't remember players from the Baron years coming back during the Cox era. I know Hassan was coming back once a year or so, but don't remember a lot of others doing so.
To be fair to Cox, there was this kind of thing that happened during his coaching run that made people reluctant to travel.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Was it Silk Owens that was at a game last year and nobody knew?
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Was it Silk Owens that was at a game last year and nobody knew?
Yes he was actually there for multiple games during the season.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

DevRam wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Was it Silk Owens that was at a game last year and nobody knew?
He was there but the current team sure wasn't
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
DevRam wrote: 1 year ago
He was there but the current team sure wasn't
My point being that a top 2 or 3 player of all time was in the building and wasn't introduced to the crowd. I think that will change dramatically going forward.
0 x