It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Unread post by CamsRams »

Rhode Island
IN -- Archie Miller | OUT -- David Cox
Miller opted in after Rhode Island came heavy with a huge financial package and promised all the resources and support Miller could have possibly asked for. URI should almost immediately become a factor again in the A-10.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... e-retires/
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Rhode Island
Miller opted in after Rhode Island came heavy with a huge financial package and promised all the resources and support Miller could have possibly asked for. URI should almost immediately become a factor again in the A-10.

Right, but don't say we're an immediate factor here ...the veterans need to mumble grumble about "patience" and "building for the future"....like those things are mutually exclusive. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago
Wow, That's great... I'm surprised no one on our staff is talking to Vault but he's getting legends on his page. Just spoke to coach K.

Something I loved is near the end he talks about how when he has a second to breathe he's not all over social media or interviewing at baseball games.. he's at home with his family. Is that a little dig at Frank Martin who's a show off on social media?
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Right, but don't say we're an immediate factor here ...the veterans need to mumble grumble about "patience" and "building for the future"....like those things are mutually exclusive. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We all want to be great right away. We all want a bid. I hope you're right...

I'm assuming you haven't been paying attention to anything Archie said. The people like myself saying we need to give it some time are going off of Archie's words in multiple interviews and based on who he's recruiting right now... He literally just said in the Rhody Rumble podcast that he's building for the future and that the transfer portal is filled with players that can't play or are a big name that won't make the impact we think. The Mitchell twins are a perfect example of that... He also said we are looking to start with people we can grow with. He does not want to add a bunch of transfers to be successful next year. That's a recipe for disaster. What he'd love to do is land kids this year and have them all return. Build a team that has chemistry and, more importantly, build a consistent program.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Nice job on that podcast. Archie appears to be an impressive guy with a plan and the strong desire to execute that plan. Think the Ryan center will be the place to be during college hoops season in the not to distant future..
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

LOVED IT !

37-0 next year !

hahaha
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
giovanni wrote: 1 year ago
Wow, That's great... I'm surprised no one on our staff is talking to Vault but he's getting legends on his page. Just spoke to coach K.

Something I loved is near the end he talks about how when he has a second to breathe he's not all over social media or interviewing at baseball games.. he's at home with his family. Is that a little dig at Frank Martin who's a show off on social media?
100% was.

However, it would be nice to flick the Sox and see/hear him in the booth with OB for an inning.
0 x
:lol:
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Because saying "we're a factor" once is the same as blindly saying incessantly "we're going to the ncaa's next year"

its become your new "science" with equal parts annoyance
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Is this the new uniforms? If so, yes please.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Because saying "we're a factor" once is the same as blindly saying incessantly "we're going to the ncaa's next year"

its become your new "science" with equal parts annoyance
I don't have a science, we're talking sports here.
We are a factor and will be going to the ncaat.. with one cdc-ish caveat. :(

R'uh r'oh...twice now. Sometimes you know when there is something happening and you don't know what it is and you're good with it, sometimes you're not.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago

Very cool
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I hope not

I wouldn’t think so - it’s not our font

Looks like the old crumby uni top
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Love this! Classy and sincere presentation by the staff to an honorable gentleman. Huge props to whomever came up with the idea.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Love this! Classy and sincere presentation by the staff to an honorable gentleman. Huge props to whomever came up with the idea.
I know it’s a little thing - but this is the stuff Hurley nailed and Cox didn’t. Obviously Archie gets it as well.

This is the stuff that head coaches affect and need to do to raise their team’s profile. Well done indeed.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I was checking out the PC message board to see their take on the Archie hire and Rjsuperfly said this about Archie.. He was one of the rare PC fans on here I was cool with but not after this take..

"He's also the same guy who failed over 4 years at Indiana, has been out of the game for a year, and had no one really sniffing around him besides URI. People are buying the Dayton hype because of conference affliation.

I think the move to URI is more Dayton than Indiana, but I don't think he's some other-wordly basketball magician that's going to instantly show up and work miracles on underrated/unproductive recruits and transfers to turn them into instant tourney contenders.

I also think the worst thing people can do is assume every underrated player is the next Scoochi e Smith or Dyshawn Pierre or Kendall Pollard just because Miller did that once. Perhaps they are, but have to turn a roster of potential into a roster of production for me to start giving that benefit of the doubt."
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Everything is relative.

Relative to our last coach, Archie is Coach K. That's why I am saying, don't discount some of our holdover players until you actually see what they can do with a real coach with a real system in place.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Archie will prove all the doubters wrong , just give him time and the results will follow .

I was confident DH would have UConn dancing in 3 years and just as confidence Arch has us dancing by year 3

We made a great hire
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I was checking out the PC message board to see their take on the Archie hire and Rjsuperfly said this about Archie.. He was one of the rare PC fans on here I was cool with but not after this take..

"He's also the same guy who failed over 4 years at Indiana, has been out of the game for a year, and had no one really sniffing around him besides URI. People are buying the Dayton hype because of conference affliation.

I think the move to URI is more Dayton than Indiana, but I don't think he's some other-wordly basketball magician that's going to instantly show up and work miracles on underrated/unproductive recruits and transfers to turn them into instant tourney contenders.

I also think the worst thing people can do is assume every underrated player is the next Scoochi e Smith or Dyshawn Pierre or Kendall Pollard just because Miller did that once. Perhaps they are, but have to turn a roster of potential into a roster of production for me to start giving that benefit of the doubt."
I think that's a pretty reasonable take. It's not dissimilar to opinions expressed by a couple people over here, although understandably, I think the more dominant position is akin to "hope springs eternal," because it's the off-season. Even during the final Cox year, and if we still had the posts archived, the final Baron year, you'd find people overly optimistic in the off-season.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I was checking out the PC message board to see their take on the Archie hire and Rjsuperfly said this about Archie.. He was one of the rare PC fans on here I was cool with but not after this take..

I think that's a pretty reasonable take. It's not dissimilar to opinions expressed by a couple people over here, although understandably, I think the more dominant position is akin to "hope springs eternal," because it's the off-season. Even during the final Cox year, and if we still had the posts archived, the final Baron year, you'd find people overly optimistic in the off-season.
I think stevey's gripe is with the first paragraph. "Failed" is a bit of a stretch - his Indiana teams were all good, just not great (based on KenPom rankings). He was fired because he didn't meet the expectations of unreasonable fans, not because he was a bad coach who ran the program into the ground. Hell, there is a large contingent of Kentucky fans that want Calipari fired because of the St. Peter's game and now because Kentucky isn't going to land a top recruit in the 2023 class (the kid is likely going to Louisville as Kenny Payne hired the kid's grandfather). Cal constantly has Kentucky at the top of the sport (2020-2021 season aside). Using a firing based on delusional fans isn't a great barometer.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

I think stevey's gripe is with the first paragraph. "Failed" is a bit of a stretch - his Indiana teams were all good, just not great (based on KenPom rankings). He was fired because he didn't meet the expectations of unreasonable fans, not because he was a bad coach who ran the program into the ground. Hell, there is a large contingent of Kentucky fans that want Calipari fired because of the St. Peter's game and now because Kentucky isn't going to land a top recruit in the 2023 class (the kid is likely going to Louisville as Kenny Payne hired the kid's grandfather). Cal constantly has Kentucky at the top of the sport (2020-2021 season aside). Using a firing based on delusional fans isn't a great barometer.
Wonder if RJ thinks the same about Sean Miller who failed at Arizona, was out of basketball for a year and had nobody sniffing around him except Xavier???? Of course he wouldn’t because Sean rejoined Xavier of the Big East.

Just a horrendous assessment about Archie Miller from RJsuperfly on the PC Board. Showing his true colors that he very effectively hides when posting here. To say Archie failed at Indiana and got fired, sat out for a year (as if other HCs whi get fired don’t go sit out a year or two and then return to the game) and nobody was sniffing Archie except URI? Please stop. Insane, PC prejudice comments.

Any College Basketball fan can see what Archie is doing at URI is very positive in just a few months on the job. Solid Coaching Staff selected and hired, recruiting in such a way that nobody knows who he and his staff are chasing after but then they deliver, signing highly regarded transfers from Seton Hall and North Carolina already. He has only just begun. Not good news for Friar fans like RJ. They miss Cox at the helm and it’s going to be tough for Friar Fans to watch what Archie does here - the guy nobody sniffed except URI - classic line.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Wonder if RJ thinks the same about Sean Miller who failed at Arizona, was out of basketball for a year and had nobody sniffing around him except Xavier???? Of course he wouldn’t because Sean rejoined Xavier of the Big East.

Just a horrendous assessment about Archie Miller from RJsuperfly on the PC Board. Showing his true colors that he very effectively hides when posting here. To say Archie failed at Indiana and got fired, sat out for a year (as if other HCs whi get fired don’t go sit out a year or two and then return to the game) and nobody was sniffing Archie except URI? Please stop. Insane, PC prejudice comments.

Any College Basketball fan can see what Archie is doing at URI is very positive in just a few months on the job. Solid Coaching Staff selected and hired, recruiting in such a way that nobody knows who he and his staff are chasing after but then they deliver, signing highly regarded transfers from Seton Hall and North Carolina already. He has only just begun. Not good news for Friar fans like RJ. They miss Cox at the helm and it’s going to be tough for Friar Fans to watch what Archie does here - the guy nobody sniffed except URI - classic line.
Yes, but hard to compare Archie's accomplishments at Indiana to Sean's at Arizona.
Arizona finished 1st 5 times in the PAC10/12, 3 Elite 8's and 3 Sweet 16's, (150-68 conference)

Sean was let go because of the NCAA scandal/allegations (which he denied), although he never received a Show-Cause.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Yes, but hard to compare Archie's accomplishments at Indiana to Sean's at Arizona.
Arizona finished 1st 5 times in the PAC10/12, 3 Elite 8's and 3 Sweet 16's, (150-68 conference)

Sean was let go because of the NCAA scandal/allegations (which he denied), although he never received a Show-Cause.
Point being Sean joined the Big East so therefore the getting fired, sitting out a year and nobody sniffing him but Xavier doesn’t matter - it’s the Big East.

Regardless it’s RJ showing his true colors on the Friar247 hometown board and bashing Archie Miller just as SteveyStuds pointed out.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Point being Sean joined the Big East so therefore the getting fired, sitting out a year and nobody sniffing him but Xavier doesn’t matter - it’s the Big East.

Regardless it’s RJ showing his true colors on the Friar247 hometown board and bashing Archie Miller just as SteveyStuds pointed out.
Yeah, I really don't trust anyone from the PC board.

I think initially Maryland was sniffing at Sean, but backed off because of pressure.
It was still a little early coming off all the negative NCAA publicity.
Many thought his next move would be the NBA.
But Xavier welcomed him back with open arms, and he is comfortable there.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good job SteveyStuds commenting back to RJ on the friarboard. Several Friar posters called RJ out on his URI/Archie comments

Especially liked this one….

UltimateCranston
Posted on 18 hrs, , User Since 199 months ago, User Post Count: 5675

I guess Archie is not getting a Christmas card from rjsuperfly66 this year.

1 upvotes1

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 49/?page=1
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Who cares what they think? These are the fans who think that Cooley is Coach K and that their program is Duke.
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

RJ is a self-important pompous clown. Not very well liked on our board either.

No one thinks PC is Duke. That is a poor take on your part. The program is just on an upward trajectory which hopefully Archie can put yours on as well.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Archie Miller, despite being just 44 with less head coaching experience (10 seasons), still has several more NCAA Tournament wins than Ed Cooley at 52 (16 seasons as head coach). One of those Miller NCAA wins was actually over Cooley.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago RJ is a self-important pompous clown. Not very well liked on our board either.

No one thinks PC is Duke. That is a poor take on your part. The program is just on an upward trajectory which hopefully Archie can put yours on as well.
"No one thinks PC is Duke"

2 x
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm still expecting Jermaine to post a double double.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Young Alumni event is tonight at Shaidzon. Are any of you youngsters going?
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Archie Miller, despite being just 44 with less head coaching experience (10 seasons), still has several more NCAA Tournament wins than Ed Cooley at 52 (16 seasons as head coach). One of those Miller NCAA wins was actually over Cooley.
Its unfortunate but expected that a few pc fans would try to undermine how good a hire this is for URI. Dayton as an 11 seed in 2014 knocked out a 6, 3 & 10 seed to reach the Final 8 in 2014, then followed that up in 2015 winning a play in game again as an 11 and then throttled 6th seed pc. I’d say thats a little more impressive than beating a team from South Dakota then the 6th place A10 team to reach the S16.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I also think the worst thing people can do is assume every underrated player is the next Scoochi e Smith or Dyshawn Pierre or Kendall Pollard just because Miller did that once. Perhaps they are, but have to turn a roster of potential into a roster of production for me to start giving that benefit of the doubt." "

Fail is often subjective and if IU (or any other) fans want to call it failure, that's up to them.

Re: No one sniffing
Everything around Arch seems to be stealth, so why would that be any different? Unless Arch himself said there were no other opportunities, I would not believe it.

But the part rj really gets wrong is where he says he's not "some otherworldly basketball magician... that's going to show up and work miracles....turn them into instant tourney contenders", because that is exactly what he is and what is going to happen....
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Young Alumni event is tonight at Shaidzon. Are any of you youngsters going?
Tough night being game one of the NBA finals.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Young Alumni event is tonight at Shaidzon. Are any of you youngsters going?
I thought this board was just for cranky old men?
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Archie is 100% responsible for the entire URI MBB program. When I applaud the work of Duane and Kenny, my praise extends to Archie. He hired them and they came ere to work for him.

Archie did not get it done as expected at Indiana and was fired. This is probably the most demanding coaching job in the country and it did not work out situationally for Archie, This doesn't diminish him as a coach but gives him an experience on which to build. Reaching for the stars and failing doesn't diminish a man but failing to get up to try again does. Archie is beginning that climb and is well on his way.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RJ is off base right from the get go by thinking Archie is the same guy. Not to get too philosophical but, people (except some PC fans :lol: ) tend to grow and evolve from life’s experiences, not stay the same. Heck, even Ed Cooley eventually learned how to get past the 2nd round of the tourney.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Archie landed a ton of talented players at Indiana, and he was not able to capitalize on it. Indiana fans definitely have an inflated value of themselves (they are certainly no longer blue-bloods), but he didn’t get the job done. Most major schools you get 4 years to make a difference.

That said, there are some coaches who are better off in lower conferences with lesser talent because they can motivate them better. I said the same thing about Shaka at Texas…. Those high 4/5 star guys he was recruiting weren’t going to be diving all over the floor like they did at VCU. Those teams are less likely to take on the personality of their coach. I think that’s the thing a lot of these coaches miss when they jump up in weight class.

Re - talent… There is not one person Archie landed this spring that I can confidently “scares” me, or however you worded it. I think Archie develops more of these guys than not, but probably at least one year, maybe two, on a good number of them. I actually think it’s more likely than not the guys he lands in the next year are more important pieces to the revitalization of URI hoops than last year, I’d expect a higher caliber of player.

You guys should be happy - he’s a splash, big-name brings hype and excitement, but it doesn’t mean because he’s a big-name it all instantly comes together. And that was my point bringing up the Indiana stuff. I think he’s going to likely do good things in time at URI, it’ll just take time.

Re: Sean Miller. Miller didn’t fail at Arizona, he was a very successful basketball coach in terms of record. He was also a slimeball. I don’t know if I’d want him as my coach, but his availability was about pending NCAA sanctions and not about on-court productivity. There are a lot of other guys who were also wrapped up in those probes who kept their jobs and never skipped a beat.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'd insert the GIF if I knew how but will leave it at this...

Hey RJ, keep my wife's name out of your F-in mouth
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

No biggie, rj will be around in December to tell us all how wrong he was....
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Exactly Kyle..

I agree that people overhype our team just like any fanbase. Still, it's the Archie failed and no other team wanted him, and that he didn't land any recruits that could make a big impact comments that bothered me..

Speaking of Kentucky. PC lands someone from Kentucky who did nothing but he's a home run recruit but when we land Brandon Weston and Ant Harris it's no big deal. We have to land "higher caliber players" next year..

Just remember when we play PC the next few years that RJ isn't scared of any of our players.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
Yeah, but the game doesn't start 'til 9:00 (probably 9:15).
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm pretty sure one of the main reasons PC finally had a good run in the NCAAs was a player that Archie helped develop, so there's that. I don't see RJ bringing that up.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago No biggie, rj will be around in December to tell us all how wrong he was....
If true, I'll be happy to, I have strong opinions but am also not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. At this point, my crystal ball suggests you guys play hard but struggle early in the season, show some ceiling but have some highs and lows middle of the season, and start to flash more consistency/ceiling late in the season. Finish middle of the A10 pack, flirt with a potential NIT birth. I see that as a very fair expectation.
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I agree that people overhype our team just like any fanbase. Still, it's the Archie failed and no other team wanted him, and that he didn't land any recruits that could make a big impact comments that bothered me..

Speaking of Kentucky. PC lands someone from Kentucky who did nothing but he's a home run recruit but when we land Brandon Weston and Ant Harris it's no big deal. We have to land "higher caliber players" next year..

Just remember when we play PC the next few years that RJ isn't scared of any of our players.
Archie did fail at Indiana. He was fired with no tournament appearances. And there was no real suggestion any other program had any interest in him. If you can prove otherwise, I'll own it. But you don't typically get fired for having success, you get fired from failing, even if the bar is slightly higher than it should have been at Indiana. Not sure how you pretzel twist the failure part any other way.

Also, I never said any of the recruits landed would never be impactful, just that I thought at this point most of the recruits/transfers brought in and their hype is for potential over production. Nothing you can say will change that. Doesn't mean they won't ever be productive, but most of them have to develop, get on-the-court, and actually prove that value. Weston has never done anything on a college court. Ant Harris is 22 and has pretty much never done anything productive on a college court while getting hammered with significant injuries along the way.

Hopkins also has to prove his worth. I think he'll be a solid player, but would have great concerns over next season if he was their top transfer recruit. It's the guys who have actually done something like Locke and Carter combining with the returning players and hopefully the development of someone like Hopkins that has me excited. Hopkins, like the other guys, is potential over production. I'm not doing to disagree with that. He has to prove it.
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I'm pretty sure one of the main reasons PC finally had a good run in the NCAAs was a player that Archie helped develop, so there's that. I don't see RJ bringing that up.
Thanks Archie! Too bad you couldn't get it done with Al :lol: :lol: :lol: All kidding aside, I think Al Durham is the prototypical perfect type of Archie Miller player. Underrated, gritty, tough. That's why Indiana fans loved him.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RJ, define failure please.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago No biggie, rj will be around in December to tell us all how wrong he was....
If true, I'll be happy to, I have strong opinions but am also not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. At this point, my crystal ball suggests you guys play hard but struggle early in the season, show some ceiling but have some highs and lows middle of the season, and start to flash more consistency/ceiling late in the season. Finish middle of the A10 pack, flirt with a potential NIT birth. I see that as a very fair expectation.
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I agree that people overhype our team just like any fanbase. Still, it's the Archie failed and no other team wanted him, and that he didn't land any recruits that could make a big impact comments that bothered me..

Archie did fail at Indiana. He was fired with no tournament appearances. And there was no real suggestion any other program had any interest in him. If you can prove otherwise, I'll own it. But you don't typically get fired for having success, you get fired from failing, even if the bar is slightly higher than it should have been at Indiana. Not sure how you pretzel twist the failure part any other way.

Also, I never said any of the recruits landed would never be impactful, just that I thought at this point most of the recruits/transfers brought in and their hype is for potential over production. Nothing you can say will change that. Doesn't mean they won't ever be productive, but most of them have to develop, get on-the-court, and actually prove that value. Weston has never done anything on a college court. Ant Harris is 22 and has pretty much never done anything productive on a college court while getting hammered with significant injuries along the way.

Hopkins also has to prove his worth. I think he'll be a solid player, but would have great concerns over next season if he was their top transfer recruit. It's the guys who have actually done something like Locke and Carter combining with the returning players and hopefully the development of someone like Hopkins that has me excited. Hopkins, like the other guys, is potential over production. I'm not doing to disagree with that. He has to prove it.
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I'm pretty sure one of the main reasons PC finally had a good run in the NCAAs was a player that Archie helped develop, so there's that. I don't see RJ bringing that up.
Thanks Archie! Too bad you couldn't get it done with Al :lol: :lol: :lol: All kidding aside, I think Al Durham is the prototypical perfect type of Archie Miller player. Underrated, gritty, tough. That's why Indiana fans loved him.
I just looked at 2019. Archie beat #17 Florida, #11 Ohio State, #11 Michigan State, #21 Iowa and #9 Penn St. Had a record of 20-12. Not too shabby. Also in his last year with a bad record, he still beat pc.
Last edited by theblueram 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago RJ, define failure please.
The definition of failure means lack of success. Is a 67-58 record with a 33-44 conference record and 1-3 Big Ten Tournament record success or failure? Their best regular season Big Ten finish was 6th in Archie's first year (lost to the 14 seed in the B1GT), and subsequent finishes were 9th (lost to the 8 seed), 11th (beat the 14 seed), and 10th (lost to the 7th seed). Instead of failure, would the preference be I say that he was not successful at Indiana?

Again, let the record reflect that I think Miller will be successful at URI, but I think it's at least one, maybe two years away. And I know Stevey didn't like my comment about more impactful recruits/transfers next year, but it was honestly meant as a complement. I think with a year in the system actually building some culture and hitting the trail, I think the type of recruits/transfers landed for the class of 2023 will be guys with many P5 teams on the list or more transfers with actual rock solid production on a college court.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rj, respect your right to be wrong. This team will get out of the gate good and be better all year. Going to be quite the story, and despite your doubt, I think you'll love it. 👍
0 x