Roster 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Roster 2022-23

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago It was a joke meant to highlight the hypocrisy of college sports oversight.
Now you wrecked it...I wanted to see how many you could get
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
We literally just landed our best recruit a few days ago. We are still in the mix for Ant Harris and N'Guessan. We are also speaking to Amadou Traore, who’s a physical specimen. Nevermind that this staff keeps everything quiet on who’s visiting.

Plenty of talent left.
It is getting late. Archie wants players who want to be here. If these players wanted to be here, they would have committed by now. Maybe they will fall to us and learn to love us!
Is just the head shot photoshopped?
Are those Jefe's pipes?
Or did they paste the uniform on an image of Bilau?

Anyway, just wondering after seeing the 11 uni...

Go Archie!!!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The best time of year to be a Rhody MBB fan.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
Jumpin' Josaphat!
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The best time of year to be a Rhody MBB fan.
You said that Archie couldn't land anyone and that any player that we were recruiting would have committed already. Then, a few days later, we land a recruit. Guess you were wrong yet again.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

The roster has shaped up nicely. It is clear to me in hindsight, from comments Archie has made from the day he was announced as HC, that he has been very selective and had a roster building strategy in place (for example, 3 year or more of eligibility, a coachable attitude, solid basic bb skill set).

Looking forward to see the team Archie and staff mold the separate pieces in to. I think the defense will be ahead of the offense early in the season and will be frustrating to play against. If the offense comes around to be consistent, we could be a spoiler in conference and a tough out in the A10 tourney.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Then, a few days later, we land a recruit. Guess you were wrong yet again.
As Koch said serviceable depth. Let me know when we get someone else who will start. You are impressed with any recruit who is better than an empty chair. Archie's staff has done a good job but there are few rubies left in the mountain of rocks. I hope we find one but this isn't it.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

It's all about changing water into wine.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Then, a few days later, we land a recruit. Guess you were wrong yet again.
As Koch said serviceable depth. Let me know when we get someone else who will start. You are impressed with any recruit who is better than an empty chair. Archie's staff has done a good job but there are few rubies left in the mountain of rocks. I hope we find one but this isn't it.
Bray will start. Foumena should be our starting 5. Weston could be the most talented player on the team. That's 3 for you. We needed a good defender in the post and that's exactly what Bilau is. So I'm happy with the get. I explained that he needs work on the offensive end, but he'll immediately impact the defensive end.

I care a lot more about the potential of our incoming players. Serious question. Can you explain to me why they aren't going to make an impact as they develop under this coaching staff? I'd love to hear your reasons. Is it because you're not the free throw shooting coach?

I understand that you really wanted us to extend Cox, but you couldn't have been more wrong, so now you're questioning a head coach that is the real deal. He won't be 100% on his recruits. No coach is. But I have faith that he will develop these players and build a strong team and more importantly a successful program.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Preseason practices should be interesting. I expect the practices will be competitive with all the new faces and playing time available.

I think it’s a good thing…steel sharpens steel.
2 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Tough day for the 72 troll crowd yesterday.

Tough day for the “will we have a roster to play?” crowd.

I know “we’ll be good when we’re good” but this roster is quickly shaping up to be top half A10 at a minimum.

Yes there’s youth and transfers and “gelling” and all that.

But feel free to jump on the bandwagon with your boy any time.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Tough day for the 72 troll crowd yesterday.

I know “we’ll be good when we’re good” but this roster is quickly shaping up to be top half A10 at a minimum.

I have been there already - top half minimum next year. We are guard heavy next season, but with Martin, Jalen, Ish, Brayon and Harris we have 5 really good guards with college basketball minutes. Add Weston and Thomas (who I still think has a lot of potential and has shown he will fight for minutes) we are ready for launch.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago

I have been there already - top half minimum next year. We are guard heavy next season, but with Martin, Jalen, Ish, Brayon and Harris we have 5 really good guards with college basketball minutes. Add Weston and Thomas (who I still think has a lot of potential and has shown he will fight for minutes) we are ready for launch.
BlueMan and Law, I absolutely love the way Archie has built this roster.
Plus, I can't say enough good things about this staff.

However with all our question marks, youth, and inexperience (especially in the paint), and looking at the other A10 rosters, I still think it will be very difficult to crack the top half of the A10 this season.

With all that said I hope you both are right and I am wrong.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The roster has been built. Now it's time for player development and there's a lot of work to do
7 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I’m good with that.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

However with all our question marks, youth, and inexperience (especially in the paint), and looking at the other A10 rosters, I still think it will be very difficult to crack the top half of the A10 this season.

No worries, they're right, you're not ;)
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

No worries, they're right, you're not ;)
I can live with that. :)
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

A10 is a guards league, love the roster make up
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago A10 is a guards league, love the roster make up
Archie knows what he is doing in the A10.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago A10 is a guards league, love the roster make up
The A10 has primarily been a guard driven league.
Our conference continues to have plenty of excellent guards.

But 3 of the top teams wouldn't have been successful without their strong frontcourt.
Davidson - Luka, Mennenga
Dayton - Holmes, Camara
Richmond - Golden, Burton

Also looks at the other top bigs last season in the A10;
Oduro (GM), Osun (Bonnies), Okoro (SLU)
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Anyone else get the feeling that Archie is under promising and over delivering? He kept saying that the roster may not be complete until August. Yet it’s not even June and we’re done for this season. It makes me hopeful that the roster may help gel quicker than many of us are expecting.
Last edited by Rhody74 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Love the revamped roster.

Still say slightly above .500 next season would be a really good year. And the following year we are legit top 1/3rd contenders.

My projected starting lineup now:

Bray
Ant
Weston
Malik
Whoever

Let’s go.
4 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago Anyone else get the feeling that Archie is under promising and over delivering? He kept saying that the roster may not be complete until August. Yet it’s not even June and we’re done for this season. It makes me hopeful that the roster may help quicker than many of us are expecting.
Eh, all things considered, I think he's done a nice job of acquiring talent with a lot of potential and variance. This isn't like a Bad Baron Year, when you'd see a bunch of spring signings for the fall and wonder if any of them would contribute. But while there is talent and potential with almost every guy we've signed, it's probably going to be messy to turn it into a team. It's all roses right now because they aren't actually playing games, but once guys are seeing where they are on the depth chart or getting DNPs, I suspect we'll see some transfers. If we get one (1) All-A10 quality player, and two rotation players from this crop of recruits, I'd consider that a huge success.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago The roster has been built. Now it's time for player development and there's a lot of work to do
Agree, Iggy.

My gut tells me Archie and staff will shine at player development. It doesn’t mean we will start the season as NCAA tourney capable but we will be improving towards it. Rhody may make some A10 teams with NCAA tourney aspirations uncomfortable late in the regular season and in the A10 tourney.

I am trying to stay grounded but my faith in this staff and the way they have gone about building the roster is testing seriously my conservative outlook.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Love the revamped roster.

Still say slightly above .500 next season would be a really good year. And the following year we are legit top 1/3rd contenders.

Bray
Ant
Weston
Malik
Whoever

Let's go.
I'm all for this lineup, but I'm adding Foumena as the starting 5.

Archie's comment about Foumena "Long term, he is somebody we look at as a major difference-maker who can be one of the better frontcourt players in the country."

Obviously, he won't be one of the best bigs in the country right away, but that doesn't mean he can't make an impact next season.

Maybe I'm overhyping him, but I think he is by far the best big recruit we landed, and this is his frontcourt for the next 4 years.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago The roster has been built. Now it's time for player development and there's a lot of work to do
Agree, Iggy.

My gut tells me Archie and staff will shine at player development. It doesn’t mean we will start the season as NCAA tourney capable but we will be improving towards it. Rhody may make some A10 teams with NCAA tourney aspirations uncomfortable late in the regular season and in the A10 tourney.

I am trying to stay grounded but my faith in this staff and the way they have gone about building the roster is testing seriously my conservative outlook.
Woodward is one of the better player development coaches around. What a home run hire.

I really don't care what our record is next year. I know we will have some moments of brilliance with this young roster that is going to get me very excited.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

This is like a team of mystery, for me and I am looking forward to watching them play and develop. Many player unknowns, a lot of potential and some knowns (an excellent coaching staff). Short of having a juggernaut team favored to win the A10, this type of team, I expect, will be very entertaining to watch come together.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Love the revamped roster.

Bray
Ant
Weston
Malik
Whoever

Let's go.
I'm all for this lineup, but I'm adding Foumena as the starting 5.

Archie's comment about Foumena "Long term, he is somebody we look at as a major difference-maker who can be one of the better frontcourt players in the country."

Obviously, he won't be one of the best bigs in the country right away, but that doesn't mean he can't make an impact next season.

Maybe I'm overhyping him, but I think he is by far the best big recruit we landed, and this is his frontcourt for the next 4 years.
I think our most hopeful freshmen year A-10 comp is Osun Osunniyi - he played 34 minutes per game as a freshmen - averaged 7.5, 7.5, and 2.7 blocks. They seem to have similar frames, athleticism (as a freshmen), and are similarly regarded from a recruitment standpoint.

Not saying he'll come close on blocks, but there will be plenty of rebounds to be had if he's the anchor on a 4 guard lineup.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

A compelling comp, 104. I like it. Nice nugget drop into the thread.

I think 34 min per game is high but stats per minute of PT could line up closely as the season goes along.

Anyone recall the scout on Osunniyi coming out of HS?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

You have to like the size that Archie has added too. 6'1", 6'4", 6'4", 6'7", 6'8", 6'10" and 6'11". That doesn't include KC, who is 6'7". Good size with athleticism and wing spans. I see an elite defensive team in the future.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago You have to like the size that Archie has added too. 6'1", 6'4", 6'4", 6'7", 6'8", 6'10" and 6'11". That doesn't include KC, who is 6'7". Good size with athleticism and wing spans. I see an elite defensive team in the future.
I wholeheartedly agree, 78. Length + athleticism = frustrating defense to go up against.

Will be fun watching it develop.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Keep calm and trust Archie image.tif
Keep calm and trust Archie image.tif (4.16 MiB) Viewed 1755 times
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Watching this team opening night is gonna be like crackin into that box of chocolates
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I understand that you really wanted us to extend Cox, but you couldn't have been more wrong, so now you're questioning a head coach that is the real deal. He won't be 100% on his recruits. No coach is. But I have faith that he will develop these players and build a strong team and more importantly a successful program.
I can't keep responding to your misrepresentations. Does Thorr pay you double time for shilling on holidays? I give Archie great credit for hiring Duane and Kenny who are getting him players which is the number one job for any assistant. You argue with me then agree that Bilau is a backup. Archie has done a great job dealing with the mess that Thorr created. You are his boy.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I was looking at the roster DH built his first year and compared to this roster. Still unknown for a comparison, but this one looks better.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great job building the roster in the last month and a half

I will guess somewhere between 5-8 in conference next year

The future is about as bright as it gets
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I was looking at the roster DH built his first year and compared to this roster. Still unknown for a comparison, but this one looks better.
This roster is definitely better than Dan’s first year. But DH also didn’t have the luxury of no sit transfers.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I was looking at the roster DH built his first year and compared to this roster. Still unknown for a comparison, but this one looks better.
Yes difficult to compare and I also prefer this roster (22-23) because of it's potential, balance, and youth.

Hurley's squad in 2012-2013 wasn't totally devoid of talent.
Senior double-digit scorers Malone (G) and Malesevic (F).
Plus (PG) Powell 9 pts/3.5 assists.
Also steady/role player TJ.

He did bring in high scoring guard Munford (17 pts).
Plus 2 freshmen bigs: Hare (6'10") , who many thought had the talent to become one of the best bigs in the conference and of course Aaman (6'9").

Overall as I said, I will still take Archie's roster.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes difficult to compare and I also prefer this roster (22-23) because of it's potential, balance, and youth.

Hurley's squad in 2012-2013 wasn't totally devoid of talent.
Senior double-digit scorers Malone (G) and Malesevic (F).
Plus (PG) Powell 9 pts/3.5 assists.
Also steady/role player TJ.

He did bring in high scoring guard Munford (17 pts).
Plus 2 freshmen bigs: Hare (6'10") , who many thought had the talent to become one of the best bigs in the conference and of course Aaman (6'9").

Overall as I said, I will still take Archie's roster.
You just reminded me how bad that team was...
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I feel almost everyone here is excited about the roster that our staff assembled.

Because of all the unknowns, and except for a couple of posters, most think we aren't NCAAT ready yet this season.

As Archie said several times, he is building for the long-term success of this program.
We only have 1 player out of eligibility after this season, Martin.

I do expect a dramatic improvement in our team for 23-24.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Theres absolutely talent size and athleticism on this squad. Molding it will be the obstacle. The last time we had this many transfers was under Cox back in 2020? I feel more confident in this group with this coach than I did back then.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Theres absolutely talent size and athleticism on this squad. Molding it will be the obstacle. The last time we had this many transfers was under Cox back in 2020? I feel more confident in this group with this coach than I did back then.
The commitment we've given Archie gives him the freedom to not have to worry about making a quick fix. And his record at Dayton gives me confidence that he knows exactly what he's doing.
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think with some solid coaching, this roster is going to overperform. And not only is Archie a proven, experienced coach, he knows the A-10 like a book, which is a combination we haven't had before in a new coach.

We had Baron, who wasn't a good coach, but who knew the layout of the A-10.

And we had Harrick, who was a good experience, proven coach, who knew nothing of the A-10, and thought the A-10 was going to be a cake walk.

And we had Hurley, who was a very good up and coming coach, with tons of potential, who knew of the A-10 but didn't have experience in this league.

But now we have Archie, who is a good coach, a proven coach, knows the layout, knows all of the potholes in the road and potential pitfalls.

This roster can be formed into a cohesive defensive unit with some good coaching, and from there it can be formed into a well balanced team. And this season is just the beginning. This is up there with one of the most exciting times to be a Ram fan.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Further, people say "look how young this roster is, all new faces" etc etc

Because of Covid, just about everyone has a year more experience than is listed next to their name, unless they are a brand new, true freshman. and some of these new comers have experience at the highest levels.

I think the success of this team hinges somewhat on what level two players, Harris and Weston, who have the potential to be stars, can actually play coming off of injuries. If their recoveries go well, then this group will perform significantly better than if they are spending large portions of the season not playing.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We are definitely on the upward trajectory

I will guess year one no postseason year 2 I am thinking NIT and year 3 we will go dancing
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I think with some solid coaching, this roster is going to overperform. And not only is Archie a proven, experienced coach, he knows the A-10 like a book, which is a combination we haven't had before in a new coach.

We had Baron, who wasn't a good coach, but who knew the layout of the A-10.

And we had Harrick, who was a good experience, proven coach, who knew nothing of the A-10, and thought the A-10 was going to be a cake walk.

And we had Hurley, who was a very good up and coming coach, with tons of potential, who knew of the A-10 but didn't have experience in this league.

But now we have Archie, who is a good coach, a proven coach, knows the layout, knows all of the potholes in the road and potential pitfalls.

This roster can be formed into a cohesive defensive unit with some good coaching, and from there it can be formed into a well balanced team. And this season is just the beginning. This is up there with one of the most exciting times to be a Ram fan.
Jcru, I think it is possible we could over-perform and the defense could be the reason, especially later in the season. We shall see. Good points above.
0 x