Roster 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Re: Roster 2022-23

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The portal, JUCOs and freshman recruits have been picked over at this point. I don't see URI adding much quality at this point for next year. What we have is likely to be the top of our roster. While the coaches are always looking for 22-23, we need to develop what we have and make connections for 23-24.
We literally just landed our best recruit a few days ago. We are still in the mix for Ant Harris and N'Guessan. We are also speaking to Amadou Traore, who’s a physical specimen. Nevermind that this staff keeps everything quiet on who’s visiting.

Plenty of talent left.
N’Gessan is committed to UMass
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The portal, JUCOs and freshman recruits have been picked over at this point. I don't see URI adding much quality at this point for next year. What we have is likely to be the top of our roster. While the coaches are always looking for 22-23, we need to develop what we have and make connections for 23-24.
We literally just landed our best recruit a few days ago. We are still in the mix for Ant Harris and N'Guessan. We are also speaking to Amadou Traore, who’s a physical specimen. Nevermind that this staff keeps everything quiet on who’s visiting.

Plenty of talent left.
I haven't seen that anywhere. Where did you see that?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

That commitment news about N’ Gessan to UMass appears to be a mistake. See the explanation in his recruiting thread.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Plenty of talent left.
I think he posted RJ Luis commitment on his story. I didn’t see anything about him being committed. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up at Umass…Regardless my point is there are plenty of players left that could end up making an impact on our team….For 72 to say that we can’t land anymore quality players is absolutely ridiculous.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago We could get an impact mid-season transfer who would be eligible before the A10 schedule starts. Who knows? Maybe a highly rated frosh who doesn't get a lot of playing time in his school's OOC schedule. Anything is possible these days.
I doubt the NCAA would approve such a late transfer with immediate eligibility.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago We could get an impact mid-season transfer who would be eligible before the A10 schedule starts. Who knows? Maybe a highly rated frosh who doesn't get a lot of playing time in his school's OOC schedule. Anything is possible these days.
You haven't been paying attention.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
You haven't been paying attention.
With 72, this is an evergreen comment
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Wasn’t May 1st the deadline?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I can't see the NCAA bending to allow players to play with A school, transfer two months into the season, and then play with B school.

No chance players will be allowed to play with two teams in the same season.
2 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago I can't see the NCAA bending to allow players to play with A school, transfer two months into the season, and then play with B school.

Off hand, I can't think of any player that transferred mid-season and became immediately eligible to play 2nd semester at the new school.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago I can't see the NCAA bending to allow players to play with A school, transfer two months into the season, and then play with B school.

Off hand, I can't think of any player that transferred mid-season and became immediately eligible to play 2nd semester at the new school.
Yea, that's just not going to happen, so hopefully people don't have that pipedream in their heads if Archie holds one scholarship.
0 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Plenty of talent left.
I think he posted RJ Luis commitment on his story. I didn’t see anything about him being committed. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up at Umass…Regardless my point is there are plenty of players left that could end up making an impact on our team….For 72 to say that we can’t land anymore quality players is absolutely ridiculous.
My BAD....I thought he was posting that he was going to UMass!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago For 72 to say that we can’t land anymore quality players is absolutely ridiculous.
For more than a decade it has been a great mystery whether he’s simply uninhibited by not knowing what he’s talking about or if he is saying wrong things deliberately with the intent to rile people up - either way it is as unproductive as engaging with his posts in good faith!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago For 72 to say that we can’t land anymore quality players is absolutely ridiculous.
For more than a decade it has been a great mystery whether he’s simply uninhibited by not knowing what he’s talking about or if he is saying wrong things deliberately with the intent to rile people up - either way it is as unproductive as engaging with his posts in good faith!
She
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Plenty of talent left.
It is getting late. Archie wants players who want to be here. If these players wanted to be here, they would have committed by now. Maybe they will fall to us and learn to love us!
It’s the Wild West now. NIL, no sit out required for 1st transfer, 5 years eligibility for all who played the Covid year (4 years of players to work thru - FR, Soph, JR and SR all got extra years, still easy on waivers, can transfer within conference……

We just got 3 players the past week or two - any one of which could end up in the starting line up. It’s definitely not too late. We could even have 1 or more players leave feeling they were recruited over or just want a different scenario.

Recruiting and roster turnover is much different now
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Yea, that's just not going to happen, so hopefully people don't have that pipedream in their heads if Archie holds one scholarship.
Since the rule change? The rule is one time transfer and play immediately. I haven't seen anywhere that says you can't play immediately if it is mid-year. If it says that somewhere in the new rule, I'd like to see it.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Since the rule change? The rule is one time transfer and play immediately. I haven't seen anywhere that says you can't play immediately if it is mid-year. If it says that somewhere in the new rule, I'd like to see it.
78, regardless of whether technically it may be allowed, it is extremely doubtful a coach will ever do it.

If the team is struggling, I don't think they will waste a full year eligibility on a player who may help the in the future.
Also, that team probably won't be going anywhere that season, anyhow, so what is the point.

If the team is playing well why change the balance of the rotation, if it is currently working.

Either way it makes no sense to bring a player in mid-year and have them play 2nd semester.

As I said before, if you can show me an example, I would like to see it.
And by chance if you can, how did it work out?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

78, regardless of whether technically it may be allowed, it is extremely doubtful a coach will ever do it.

If the team is struggling, I don't think they will waste a full year eligibility on a player who may help the in the future.
Also, that team probably won't be going anywhere that season, anyhow, so what is the point.

If the team is playing well why change the balance of the rotation, if it is currently working.

Either way it makes no sense to bring a player in mid-year and have them play 2nd semester.

We just tried to do it with Antwan recently, but were denied. That was before the rule change. Could Antwan have contributed to that team as a mid-season transfer?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Either way it makes no sense to bring a player in mid-year and have them immediately play that 2nd semester.

We just tried to do it with Antwan recently, but were denied. That was before the rule change. Could Antwan have contributed to that team as a mid-season transfer?
They tried to get Walker eligible for beginning of fall semester but were denied.
He started playing 2nd semester.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

They tried to get Walker eligible for beginning of fall semester but was denied.
Maybe it was Iverson then. I know there was a player we had recently who we tried to get eligible mid-year and were denied. Then again, I'm old.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

They tried to get Walker eligible for beginning of fall semester but was denied.
Maybe it was Iverson then. I know there was a player we had recently who we tried to get eligible mid-year and were denied. Then again, I'm old.
Actually Iverson enrolled in late January of 2015.

He did receive a waiver to play fall of 2015-2016.

Again don't get any hopes up for a mid-year transfer to play immediately that 2nd semester, not happening.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I've been aware of 72 on these boards since about 1997. The internet pretty much went live into everyone's lives in 1996.

He has a pretty predictable way about him. I think at one point he mentioned he works for the university in some capacity. He tends to say the opposite of whatever the consensus is. Whether he actually believes the comments he makes, who knows. But they are meant to be thought provoking, particularly when the opportunity arises for there to be two, competing, opposite view points on one topic.

For example:

Everyone: play all of the people with seniority, Senior, then Junior, then Sophomore... (etc)

Rhody72: Archie should look to give everyone a clean slate and play whoever wins minutes in practice.

alternately:

Everyone: forget seniority, just play the most talented players you have, be like Michigan's Fab Five.

Rhody72: No, you need to reward longevity first and foremost, you must distribute playing time based on seniority and loyalty first.

0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

10 players now, and not a bad roster, to be honest.

There's at least one legit point guard, A-10 All Rookie team.

Two off guards with experience.

A Martin... any Rhody team with a Martin, with experience to boot... not a bad thing.

A stretch power forward with range.

Two bangers.

And one player with star potential if he manages to get get over his injuries and another wing player with lots of potential, possibly to be redshirted.

There's some talent to work with here, the cupboard is not bare.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I've been aware of 72 on these boards since about 1997. The internet pretty much went live into everyone's lives in 1996.

He has a pretty predictable way about him. I think at one point he mentioned he works for the university in some capacity. He tends to say the opposite of whatever the consensus is. Whether he actually believes the comments he makes, who knows. But they are meant to be thought provoking, particularly when the opportunity arises for there to be two, competing, opposite view points on one topic.

For example:

Everyone: play all of the people with seniority, Senior, then Junior, then Sophomore... (etc)

Rhody72: Archie should look to give everyone a clean slate and play whoever wins minutes in practice.

alternately:

Everyone: forget seniority, just play the most talented players you have, be like Michigan's Fab Five.

Rhody72: No, you need to reward longevity first and foremost, you must distribute playing time based on seniority and loyalty first.

So she's not a PC fan and troll, she's a URI fan and troll.

I'm not sure what's better.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

well, a PC fan and troll would eventually die off after a certain period of time. We had tons of those on the old Projo board. Gandalf, Spiderman, you name it. But even if they stuck around years, eventually they would get bored and would have an expiration date.

72 has been here forever, and most likely will be, until he's no longer with us on this planet anymore.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago 10 players now, and not a bad roster, to be honest.

There's at least one legit point guard, A-10 All Rookie team.

Two off guards with experience.

A Martin... any Rhody team with a Martin, with experience to boot... not a bad thing.

A stretch power forward with range.

Two bangers.

And one player with star potential if he manages to get get over his injuries and another wing player with lots of potential, possibly to be redshirted.

There's some talent to work with here, the cupboard is not bare.
I am extremely pleased with what Archie and this staff has been able to do in building this roster.

With all our youth, the future looks bright.

Again we will probably struggle this season, when comparing us with the rosters of the top half of the A10.

Still excited to see who we add with the remaining spots.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Male or female or transgender - regardless of gender we can all agree on one point. 72 is a world-class putz.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago I've been aware of 72 on these boards since about 1997. The internet pretty much went live into everyone's lives in 1996.

For example:

alternately:

So she's not a PC fan and troll, she's a URI fan and troll.

I'm not sure what's better.
For sure it’s better that she is a URI Fan and troll.

The worst kind is the PC Fan that masquerades as a URI Fan. This type typically resides in their mothers basement.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Assuming the 72 in 72’s KB monicker rep’s year of graduation, I have to give he/she props for the mental clarity to consistently troll, if that’s his/her purpose. Shit, I graduated in ‘84 and have a tough time keeping up around here. Can’t imagine what I’d be like here if I make it another 12 years. With my prognosis, I’ll probably be drooling and brain farting half the time.

72 has got to be popping supplements or something. Gincko balboa or roids, maybe? Is doping allowed on KB? It’s an unfair advantage, I tell ya.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Getting back to anytime transfers. What some are suggesting here is that a player could transfer in March to play on an NCAA bound team. This is laughable and would never be allowed. Teams do play OOC games second semester. Also, some schools do have non-traditional academic schedules.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Getting back to anytime transfers. What some are suggesting here is that a player could transfer in March to play on an NCAA bound team. This is laughable and would never be allowed. Teams do play OOC games second semester. Also, some schools do have non-traditional academic schedules.
Ok, show me where somebody said that.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Getting back to anytime transfers. What some are suggesting here is that a player could transfer in March to play on an NCAA bound team. This is laughable and would never be allowed. Teams do play OOC games second semester. Also, some schools do have non-traditional academic schedules.
This is what you said.

“We could get an impact mid-season transfer who would be eligible before the A10 schedule starts. Who knows? Maybe a highly rated frosh who doesn't get a lot of playing time in his school's OOC schedule. Anything is possible these days.”

The NCAA is not going to allow in season, immediately eligible transfers.

You’d get great players on shitty teams looking to transfer to tournament teams constantly.

So no, we could not get an impact mid season transfer who could play with their initial team first part of the season, and then play with us right away at beginning of A10 play.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This is what you said.

“We could get an impact mid-season transfer who would be eligible before the A10 schedule starts. Who knows? Maybe a highly rated frosh who doesn't get a lot of playing time in his school's OOC schedule. Anything is possible these days.”

You’d get great players on shitty teams looking to transfer to tournament teams constantly.

So no, we could not get an impact mid season transfer who could play with their initial team first part of the season, and then play with us right away at beginning of A10 play.
I'm pretty sure March isn't mid-year...
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This is what you said.

Come on man, you know it’s the same exact thing we’re talking about here.

If you honestly believe the NCAA will allow a player to play for one team first semester, then jump to a much better team and play right away, you really need to get your head checked.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This is what you said.

If you honestly believe the NCAA will allow a player to play for one team first semester, then jump to a much better team and play right away, you really need to get your head checked.
72 challenged my comment by saying they won't allow players to transfer in March to get on a tournament team. Of course they won't do that. That's what I'm saying. My comment was that I don't think it's out of the question that a player transfers mid-year (after the 1st semester) and is eligible to play in January when 2nd semester starts. I don't think it will happen, but with the way the NCAA is doing things, and the fact that I haven't seen anything in the new rule that says you can't, I don't think it's 100% that the NCAA would deny all mid-year transfers, especially someone with a valid reason for transferring.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This is what you said.

If you honestly believe you know what the NCAA will or won't do, good luck. 90/10 you will be wrong.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

If you honestly believe you know what the NCAA will or won't do, good luck. 90/10 you will be wrong.
That's pretty much what I'm saying.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
Time for Austin to get a New England kid.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago2023
Either Jordan Clayton or Reid Ducharme.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

The Ducharme recruitment has been oddly quiet since last summer.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago
We just offered him about 3 weeks ago.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

I get the sense that he was UConn’s if they wanted him, but they haven’t shown strong interest. I know PC was on him last summer and he took at least one unofficial visit, but it’s been crickets since.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago
I like quiet these days.

8-) stealth
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

72 challenged my comment by saying they won't allow players to transfer in March to get on a tournament team. Of course they won't do that. That's what I'm saying. My comment was that I don't think it's out of the question that a player transfers mid-year (after the 1st semester) and is eligible to play in January when 2nd semester starts. I don't think it will happen, but with the way the NCAA is doing things, and the fact that I haven't seen anything in the new rule that says you can't, I don't think it's 100% that the NCAA would deny all mid-year transfers, especially someone with a valid reason for transferring.
This is what I read from Rhody72. I never read that 72 was saying a player could transfer and be eligible as is being described here. In fact, 72 said it was “laughable and would never be allowed”
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Plenty of talent left.
It is getting late. Archie wants players who want to be here. If these players wanted to be here, they would have committed by now. Maybe they will fall to us and learn to love us!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

If a player transfers to a big time school after the first semester he is immediately eligible. If he transfers to a non P5 school he is not immediately eligible
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago If a player transfers to a big time school after the first semester he is immediately eligible. If he transfers to a non P5 school he is not immediately eligible
Sounds as though big time schools can call up players from the minors. I guess big time schools can stash a player they want next year on a lesser program to allow him to get PT for hos promotion. If true this is a joke.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

It was a joke meant to highlight the hypocrisy of college sports oversight.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !